Type keyword(s) to search

Home Fires - General Discussion

Milz
  • Start Topic

4 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I feel like they are so many storylines and none will be resolved when the series ends in a few more episodes, since it was cancelled. Ugh. 

Even if the show continued, six-episode seasons are simply not enough time to fully develop that many characters and their stories. So, we never got to emotionally engage with these characters. Plus, all of the stories are so unrelentingly bleak, with no joyous moments or flashes of humor. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, wonderwoman said:

Plus, all of the stories are so unrelentingly bleak, with no joyous moments or flashes of humor. 

I think you've put your finger on it.  The stiff upper-lip British are famous for keeping their sense of humor during the very worst of times and we haven't seen much of that at all.

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

I think you've put your finger on it.  The stiff upper-lip British are famous for keeping their sense of humor during the very worst of times and we haven't seen much of that at all.

And, I meant to add: with so many characters, the storytelling barely scratches the surface; and so few episodes, there's not nearly enough time for characters to work through their challenges and beyond -- can't even see the possibilities of what that might be.

• Love 1

Plus, all of the stories are so unrelentingly bleak, with no joyous moments or flashes of humor. 

Foyle's War did this also ... as if it were some Thatcherite 'jaundiced eye" revisionism of the glowing portrait of our favorite English "homefront" WWII movies... methinks it is an "over-correction", possibly even deliberately political althought Foyle ended with the Labour Party being swept into power, including Sam's husband local election.  I guess some folks can't get enough "dirt" but it feels a bit relentless in seeing the worse (or just most hypocritical and petty) in people. 

29 minutes ago, SusanSunflower said:

Foyle's War did this also ... as if it were some Thatcherite 'jaundiced eye" revisionism of the glowing portrait of our favorite English "homefront" WWII movies... methinks it is an "over-correction", possibly even deliberately political althought Foyle ended with the Labour Party being swept into power, including Sam's husband local election.  I guess some folks can't get enough "dirt" but it feels a bit relentless in seeing the worse (or just most hypocritical and petty) in people. 

Actually, we've also seen some open-mindedness and generous spirits -- the teacher, Francesca's character, the vicar's wife, etc.  

• Love 4

Well, of course, they don't want to paint the home team as a bunch of "deplorables" or cheats ... such is the nature of the police to concern itself with the "underbelly" and soap operas to concern themselves with the foibles and secret vices.  It's the contrast between the current rendering -- rose colored glasses discarded -- and the inspiring homefront in war time "when we all pulled together" (mostly). 

• Love 1

Those little brown boxes tied with string that everybody carries are the carriers for their gas masks, everybody had to carry them, but chemical gas was never used in England, thank God. This last episode made me cry when the butcher's son made it back, ahhhhhhh. But, I still want to kill Bill or Bob the battering husband too (I can't remember any body's name either gals). I am totally on TEAM PAT! I still love this show even though there are too many characters, at least they are well written. 

• Love 2

I have one big wish for this series before it ends - for the wife abuser to get his somehow.  Every time he is in a scene I want to reach through the TV screen and do something nasty to that character.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, izabella said:

Remind me why Pat doesn't just leave him?  She seems capable.  What does she need him for?

Well, he's really done a number on her, not just with the physical abuse but also with the mental abuse and his constant belittlement of her.  Classic abuser.  I don't know whether realistically she  could just leave him the times being what they are. And as awful as this sounds I am not sure that being abused by one's husband was considered grounds for divorce back then.  It wasn't that long ago before this story takes place  that British women were basically property of their husbands with very few legal rights.  The Victorian Age was the past, yes, but the not so distant past.

Even nowadays abused women often have a hard time freeing themselves from their abusers - even with all the support available to them. How much harder must it have been back then?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, howiveaddict said:

I thought in England, at that time, the only grounds for divorce were adultry.   That's why Pat can't divorce him.  Maybe they can set him up with that nasty phone operator and use her as the co respondent. 

I think that's a wonderful idea!

• Love 1
7 hours ago, howiveaddict said:

I thought in England, at that time, the only grounds for divorce were adultry. 

I'm pretty sure that you're right. I don't usually root for a character to have an affair; I always think just go get divorced. But in Pat's case her husband is abusive and she doesn't have the option of getting a divorce. As a result, I'm totally rooting for Pat and Capt. Novotny. I might also be rooting for Pat to slip Bob some cyanide in his tea.

While I'm rooting for Pat to have an affair, I'm not at all rooting for Sarah and the Wing Commander to have one. From what I remember Sarah's husband while on the older side was a decent guy.  I think I was suppose to view Joyce's "Your husband is a POW; remember you are still the vicars wife" as her being mean, but I was kind of on Joyce's side. 

Also this sounds horrible, but the Wing Commander looks so much younger than Sarah. I'm not saying that younger guys can't be attractive to older woman, but I just think he would have lots of options and wouldn't need to get involved with a older married woman.

Edited by Fireball
  • Love 2

For everyone who is having problems keeping who is who straight; I came a crossed this article now it does have some spoiler bits most of them have already happened like

Spoiler

Frances marriage to Peter a stable one of equals. But all that changes in series two, when Frances is forced to confront the fact that her happily ordered life isn’t quite what she thinks it is.

Steph struggle to keep the farm going, while Stanley returns from the war. His experiences have consequences for his family, and the village. And for the first time ever, their marriage is shaken.

Pat even strikes up a bit of a friendship with a very handsome Czech soldier.

But there are other spoiler bits that haven't really happened yet. The worst spoiler imo has to do with Jenny the telephone operator; the author isn't vague at all when they talk about what is in store for her in season 2.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-04-17/meet-the-cast-of-home-fires

Thanks everyone! I've notified Silverstromm (admin) about there being two Home Fires.

like someone said, i keep saying fries instead of fires.

I was not able to see Sunday night's episode.  Did mrs b find out if there is a child? 

2 hours ago, jaybird2 said:

like someone said, i keep saying fries instead of fires.

I was not able to see Sunday night's episode.  Did mrs b find out if there is a child? 

Yes--- I don't know how much of a spoiler you want so I put more info below:

Spoiler

Helen had an 11 year old son. While they didn't come out and say YES he's Peters, it was very much implied. He called Peter 'Uncle Peter' and visited him at work.

I also keep calling this show Home Fries

Edited by Fireball
  • Love 2

The child who is Peter's illegitimate son looks like he is about six and not eleven.

The faulty parachutes are not going to be good for the factory. 

I am afraid for Pat. I am predicting her horrible husband is going to do something terrible. Even more terrible than his everyday terribleness. 

I was surprised to hear there was no treatment for the butcher's son's wounds on his back. It seems like the butcher's wife should be looking more visibly pregnant. 

The doctor's daughter's soldier friend is very handsome.

Clearly, I still know very few names!!

• Love 5

OK....was the officer who took Teresa on the "date" the Wing Commander who roomed with the vicar's wife, etc.?

I know this is shallow....but it drove me crazy that Laura Campbell's hair (doctor's daughter) kept changing while she was out walking with her soldier.  Some shots most of her hair was long and straight. other times it was tightly waved/curled.

• Love 3

all the women look much older than their men/husbands/friends.  the dr looks to be near the age of his daughter.  

what's gives with the school teacher.  what's her story.  thanks for any back story.

• Love 1

I believe the other Campbell sister went off to medical school or am I totally wrong about that? She went somewhere to do something positive and move on with her life that the family was happy about.

The wing commander who took the school teacher on the date is the same guy who had a room at the vicar's house.

The school teacher is gay, but wants to have a "normal" life where people stop asking her why she is not married. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, bluestocking said:

what happened to the other Campbell sister, the one who got married in season 1 and whose husband died in a flight training accident?  Did she move out of town?

I think she went off to train to be a nurse. 

• Love 3

I missed bits of the episode, but the Wing Commander dating Teresa the school teacher is so predictable. Sarah the vicars wife is going to be green with jealously. Not looking forward to watching that or maybe it already happened in this episode? Like I said I only caught parts of the show.

Pat and her secret boyfriend you'd think they would be a bit more carful where they make out. Making out in the open where anyone, like Pat's husband, can see isn't the smartest plan. Bob is going to retaliate somehow; I'm not sure how but we all know it's coming. Why couldn't' he have died. 

I feel bad for Frances her friend Alison in her words the only person she can trust is lying to her. I can't see that friendship surviving once Frances finds out what Alison has been doing behind her back. Also the business is so not going to survive. 

Jenny the telephone operator joining the WAAF--I don't care--I don't care about Jenny she is such a nasty person can she go away too?

21 hours ago, Pickles said:

Clearly, I still know very few names!!

I came a crossed this article which helps with keeping who is who straight; now it does have some spoiler bits most of them have already happened. But be fair warned there are some spoiler bits.

Edited by Fireball
  • Love 5

I was surprised to hear there was no treatment for the butcher's son's wounds on his back.

Wouldn't he benefit from skin grafts? I am hoping that will be a storyline in the future.

Bob is going to retaliate somehow; I'm not sure how but we all know it's coming.

Bob really is a scary villain. I always hear the theme song of Jaws in my head when he's on camera.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, MaryHedwig said:

Wouldn't he benefit from skin grafts? I am hoping that will be a storyline in the future.

Bob really is a scary villain. I always hear the theme song of Jaws in my head when he's on camera.

Did they do skin grafts back then? I honestly have no clue when skin grafts started happening. I guess I should go do a google search and get educated. :D

Bob really is horrible. I feel the predictable route with this story is

Spoiler

Bob hurting Pat, Pat running to Marek, Marek getting into a heated argument with Bob, Marek accidentally killing Bob during the argument, Marek having to disappear or hang etc. 

I can't believe there are only two more episodes left in the show.  They have a lot to wrap up in that time!

Bob is one of the most villainous villains in my recent Masterpiece viewing.  I wish Pat could/would leave him.

Edited by HelenCrump
typo!
15 minutes ago, HelenCrump said:

I can't believe there are only two more episodes left in the show.  They have a lot to wrap up in that time!

I have a feeling lots of the storylines will not be wrapped up and we will be left with cliffhangers...

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, Fireball said:

Did they do skin grafts back then?

They did. My mom was a burn patient as a child around that time and had skin grafts. It looked like those were skin grafts (at least, they looked like my mom's scars). The skin gets very stiff, and multiple surgeries may be required to adjust the scar tissue. I'm surprised they didn't mention massaging the scars with cocoa butter. That helps keep them a little softer and more pliable.

In other news, Bob needs to be in an inconvenient spot when a bomb drops.

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

In other news, Bob needs to be in an inconvenient spot when a bomb drops.

Basically the only thing that goes through my head when Bob is on screen is " Die Die Die".

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Fireball said:

I have a feeling lots of the storylines will not be wrapped up and we will be left with cliffhangers...

I agree with this. We are all going to be left in limbo, because they were confident the series was going to be renewed and then it wasn't! I have to admit, I have read about the remaining episodes and I did not see much closure.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Pickles said:

I have to admit, I have read about the remaining episodes and I did not see much closure.

That's disappointing, but not surprising. It would be nice if they would write a 2 hour finale to tie all the story lines up.

Edited by Fireball
typo
  • Love 2

jaybird2-- you're very welcome. The links not very spoilery now, but I wanted to warn people. ;) I posted the link in the cast thread, but I wasn't sure if anyone had seen it.  I laughed at the whole "Sarah will never ever do anything to betray her husband" line in the article. I'm thinking um she's totally flirting with Nick and acting like her husband isn't a POW.

Alison convinced Frances to go into business with the Lyons I think that is their name. Alison was going to recommend Frances not go into business with them because their offer was to good to be true and she felt they were shady. But the government guy convinced Alison to get Frances to go into business with the Lyons so that they could get dirt on them. Alison believes that the Lyons, the shady business partners, she is monitoring for the government may be responsible for the paratroopers being injured.

Edited by Fireball
spelling
  • Love 5

My hope for Pat's husband is that he will be out walking,  and fall into the river and drown.  He falls because his gait is still unsteady from his injuries.   Or better yet, he can be reaching for Pat, miss and fall into the river and drown. Pat can't swim of course , so can't help him. I think she does throw him a rope, but it's not tied to anything.  Bwa Ha Ha!

• Love 5

I'm having an issue with the whole Pat romance storyline. Realistically, what does he see in her? She's frumpy, dumpy and has no sparkle of personality that would attract a man. She should be an invisible middle-aged woman. Not buying it and losing patience with the predictability of this show. 

Was reading that there may be another season. There was a large outcry about the shows cancellation and some petitions gathering signatures. They are trying to find another station to move to. I hope it continues.

Edited by NoThyme
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, MischaMouse said:

I'm having an issue with the whole Pat romance storyline. Realistically, what does he see in her? She's frumpy, dumpy and has no sparkle of personality that would attract a man. She should be an invisible middle-aged woman. Not buying it and losing patience with the predictability of this show. 

You make a good point; however, since I hate Bob, I'm happy that Pat can have some happiness. Maybe Marek likes frumpy dumpy woman; maybe she reminds him of his wife? idk I have the same problem with the Wing Commander being interested in Sarah. 

I agree that this show is predictable; however, I'm not annoyed with it yet. Although, I do roll my eyes a lot because of the predictability.

Edited by Fireball
  • Love 3

I get that, I do, but i'm also thrilled to see an ordinary looking woman get to have a romance storyline. I love British shows for this. So many American shows cast only gorgeous people, who are of course nice to look at but it gets a bit ridiculous sometimes when all cops and FBI agents and lab techs etc are totally stunning. 

• Love 22