Type keyword(s) to search

The Mist - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Frances Conroy's naked ass?  Teen boys spooning in a hospital bed? Girl wanting to stay close to her alleged rapist?  Mob uprising in a mall?  Detox sweats?  Crazy man in charge of the Psych ward?  Gay panic after hand holding?  The Four Horseman kill a priest?  Icky dead body in a church still moving?

Wow, that's a lot in 60 minutes.

• Love 5

What the hell was going on with the black soldier in those flashbacks - torture by who and why? Then again, is he really in the military or no? Didn't junkie girl figure out he was using someone elses identity?

• Love 1

Again, I don't have much to say about the show. However, I have issues with the writers having the daughter being so chummy with her alleged rapist and Adrian having a sexual relationship and/or liking this boy who has physically abused for years.  First, if daughter doesn't think that he raped her, then just have her say so instead of having the rape victim befriend her rapist which is insanely misogynistic. Second, Adrian fawning over this guy who has beaten him up on several occasions is disgusting and full of self-hate, then again, if he raped his best friend, then it makes sense.

• Love 2

Well, if this was the episode that needed to win over a wavering audience (or perhaps win them back), I’m not sure if it succeeded. Promos indicated there are only 3 episodes left, but I remember quitting on first season ‘24’ after the penultimate episode, and I was far more invested in that than I am in the Mist. I still think the show is doing a reasonable job in moving forward story lines, the main problem is a lot of what is progressing just isn’t super interesting. Cases in point:

The Adrian/gay jock story. There’s nothing wrong with pursuing this story within the context of what is happening around them, and last night’s scenes were pretty well acted; it’s just that I really am not interested in Adrian at all, and even less in Tyler. They also missed a great chance to wrap up the still awkwardly dangling story line about Alex’s rape when they were having their true confessions moment.

Tyler could have admitted to being the one who raped Alex (to “prove” he’s not gay even if he wouldn’t admit to that) but Adrian only saw Jay who had found Alex’s body first and just assumed what happened. In the end, the whole rape story has been nothing more than a plot contrivance to create distrust, and otherwise it tends to be ignored when convenient. Alex “bonding” with her possible attacker doesn’t seem realistic (and will be creepy if Jay is the culprit), but they should have never used rape as a plot point in the first place. This isn’t American Crime.

Adrian being kidnapped by the crazy and having to be rescued by Kevin? Well, ok, I guess it could happen, but it feels like filler. At least Kevin knows the double tap rule.

Priest vs. Mrs. Raven – The outcome of this “battle” could have been predicted by just about anyone. You knew the 4 horsemen were coming for the priest, but why? Is he afraid of them, he probably understands them better than most? And somehow, I was hoping this scene would end up with a homage to Good Omens (the book by Neil Gaiman), but, alas, it was not to be. And Mrs. Raven comes off as self-righteous in the end too. She’s still on the “to eat” list.

The cop: He seems to have a weird moment of clarity when he talks (sensitively!) about being able to identify liars and those consumed by guilt, but then he goes rabid and starts wailing on the priest!

The mall manager’s number looks like it is soon to be punched, but that is about the most interesting development concerning the mall people. I feel sorry for the Muslim-American who is in Eve’s group, because he deserves better than his likely fate.

The best part of the episode occurred during Mia’s “flash” detox scene: Jonah (aka not Bryan) starts remembering things and has flashes of being strapped down and gagged on an examination table. This is obviously the hook (maybe the only one) going forward. Can there be enough of a payoff to make it worth the slog?

• Love 1

So, since this show is so awful, I thought I'd bourbon watch it, to see if it improves. 

The junkie, where did she get the meds, the opiate blockers?

How many days has it been since The Mist arrived? Mother and daughter still have perfectly straightend coiffed hair. (My pet peeve, eyeliner aside)

Wait,  what did I miss with the dead bodies in the closet? I've only had one bourbon. Have I been too busy multi tasking?

Wait, what. Ruth, are you tripping again?

The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse? I don't care anymore. 

Frances Conroy, you deserve more 

First off, congrats to old Francis for that nice old lady ass.  Mine should look so nice.

Secondly, my thinking has changed - I think that Blonde Gay Jock is the rapist. I don't think Blondie stayed behind because of the scary hand-holding... I think he stayed behind because of what Kevin said he wanted to do to the rapist. 

Lastly, Francis Conroy reminds me of my massage therapist (she's very crunchy-granola, talk to the spirits) and it weirds me out.

• Love 1
On 8/4/2017 at 3:59 AM, Armchair Critic said:

That Four Horseman bit was strange and happened fast. Frances Conroy is a good actress but she always come off as the annoying type you wouldn't want to spend much time with.

My first impression is that while out in the fog Mrs. Raven focused on what she knew the priest was afraid of and it would kill him,  Remember, she asked him if he actually believed in the Bible.

On 8/5/2017 at 9:08 AM, amykay9377 said:

First off, congrats to old Francis for that nice old lady ass.  Mine should look so nice.

Cough, cough ..... stunt butt ..... cough, cough.

That had to be the quickest speed detox in the history of TV -- the bigger question is that I didn't pick up in previous episodes was the fact that Mia was ever an addict.  How many addicts know how to perform a speed detox ?  Because Mia doesn't seem to have the background to pull that off.

The mall drama is just ridiculously stupid -- Eve was asking about board games, so they must be hoarding food -- I'm starting to think the mist has penetrated the mall and all these people will die of their own stupidity.

• Love 1

Here's what's tripping me up--the people at the mall are talking about having only three days' worth of food left, but I haven't noticed the people at the church worrying about food.  First off, I just don't accept that that's all the food they have left.  Granted, it's probably a lot of junk food and candy, but the food court should still be well-stocked, as should the various little kiosks, etc.  Many of the major department stores sell gourmet chocolate and other food/gift items like popcorn or cheese or sausage.  If there's a sporting goods store, it probably has camping supplies including freeze-dried meals.  Many malls have a little shop where people can buy cigarettes and lottery tickets; those types of stores usually have snacks and beverages.  Some malls have department stores like Target attached, which would mean an entire grocery department.  Maybe they just don't want to loot the stores, but I'm not much for being law-abiding when my survival is at stake.  At the very least, the mall manager could get a ledger or notebook of some sort and record what people take if paying for it later would be an issue. 

And what are the people at the church eating?  There are a lot fewer people there.  Maybe there's a food pantry or something there.

I just feel like I could drive a truck through this particular plot hole.

• Love 3

I'm pretty sure that was a stunt butt/back for Frances Conroy, but if not,  you go girl! 

At this point, I'm rooting for the Mist to take everyone but Jonah/Bryan.   I really don't like any of these people except for him.  Which is weird, because I do like/can relate to Stephen King characters.   It also seems like things fell apart pretty quickly in a day or two - most people would hole up at home/wherever and kind of wait it out for that amount of time.  

• Love 2

I'm glad I'm not the only person who was wondering how the hell the mall ran out of food already. I mean, we aren't even talking about "food is getting low, oh no" levels either; we have people who are getting so hungry that it's causing fights and theft, which is just bizarre considering how short of a time its been. It's an entire mall! While there's a good number of people holed up inside it isn't a tremendous number, and I just can't see how they've already eaten through every restaurant in the food court, the hiking supply store (which would have tons of preserved/dehydrated foods), and all the snack foods that line pretty much every cash register.

The deduction that Eve's group must have tons of food because they "asked for board games" was just absurd. Like, really? That's your best guess? Yeah, okay. If anything, running low on food would make them want the board games more so they could attempt to keep morale up and stave off the constant "I'm hungry" thoughts.

This is especially annoying because the church and hospital are having no issues with food, despite the fact that neither would have a lot; certainly not as much as the mall would. Sure, you could argue that the hospital cafeteria was there, but we already know huge parts of the hospital are cut off, and you could argue that the church has a food bank, which is fair, but I still don't see how the mall has run out of food like this.

The rapid detox was absolutely absurd. A quick google search shows a lot of evidence that rapid detox is on shaky ground at best, with many clinics and doctors refusing to do the procedure due because it just plain sucks and is debatable whether it actually works or not. It still requires one to two days of detoxing, even though the worst is over, and still requires follow-up medications for several weeks to really make it stick... so the show's silly little one hour of thrashing about is definitely not going to save her from her addiction.

Jonah's story... I don't even know what to say. Just... what. Sure. Suddenly now he's been tortured by some military group or something. k. It has just gotten so dumb that I can't make myself care anymore.

• Love 4
On 8/8/2017 at 9:31 AM, MrPissyPuppy said:

At this point, I'm rooting for the Mist to take everyone but Jonah/Bryan.   I really don't like any of these people except for him.  Which is weird, because I do like/can relate to Stephen King characters.   

Since none of King's characters from The Mist are present in this series, it's not too weird!

• Love 2

This episode had three couples kissing and then a bunch of murders.   Dang.  Question: I watched this online and it was a choppy feed.  It hung up right as Kevin went to investigate the blinking light and resumed onto a new scene.  What or who did he find that was signalling?

• Love 1

I have never been in a situation where I was afraid for my life, but I can't figure out the emotions of the characters or how much time has passed.

Aside from Shelly, nobody seems to be very upset about the deaths of their friends and family. Shelly appears to be in shock, but Natalie appears ok with her hubby being gone, Adrienne does not appear upset about his mother ( but then he is a sociopath). 

Then..2 weeks ago Adrienne has sex in public bathroom, then spooning with him on cot. Now we have Alex making gogo eyes at ray, because aside from all the death and mist, it's a perfect time for a date. That leads us to Kevin Waiting in car for those 2 to bring him gasoline but they first must stop and have a quickie in a garage.  Don't think willare it thru last 2 episodes.

Well, after reading through each ep's thread, I think its safe to say I'll be deleting all the saved eps that I haven't had a chance to catch up on watching. I do not need another Under-the-Dome-what-the-hell-have-they-done-to-the-source-material kind of show.

• Love 1

I'm out. In fact, I deleted the episode before I finished watching it. I just can't take the horrible gay stereotypes any more.

I sat through the confused questioning their sexuality. I sat through the self-hatred. I sat through the closeted jock in the hospital. I sat through said jock beating the crap out of the questioning asexual emo boy. I sat through said stupid idiot emo continuing to pursue said jock after being beaten by him. I sat through the resulting dissolution of their "relationship" (using that term in its loosest definition since there was nothing romantic or caring about it). I even sat through the emo turd shooting his own father.

However, the final straw was the emo turd admitting that he was the one who raped the boring teenage girl who was supposedly his best and only friend. Even suspecting from the very beginning that he framed the jock at the mall didn't soften this betrayal. If I hadn't already been on my way to deleting the show from my DVR, I would have then deleted it when he sliced his own wrist to cover up the shooting of his abusive father. Thankfully, the show finally erased itself out of my misery before it could do any more to anger me.

Look, I know its asking too much of an ensemble show to feature a gay hero. But I don't expect them to embody every horrible gay portrayal Hollywood has ever thought up. I don't think a show or movie has portrayed gays this badly since the 60s when every gay character was the killer/villain.

Even the horrid Under the Dome portrayed gay characters better. The lesbian couple on that show had their flaws, but at least they weren't completely evil. Is it because the Mist is on the testosterone fueled Spike network? Are they that afraid of gays? Unbelievable.

Of course, there's tons of other crap to hate about this show. The only character I could even tolerate was the framed jock at the mall. Unfortunately, the psycho mom seems to be doing everything in her power to eliminate him. I'm surprised she bothered to give him any of the limited provisions in the room she locked him in. She grates against my nerves every time she's on screen. None of the other mall folks are endearing themselves to me either.

Can't stand the junkie, and the amnesic soldier bores me. So of course they take the time out in the middle of risky gas retrieval to have sex, and then have contemplative pillow talk. I could maybe tolerate a quickie, but not the pillow talk afterwards. The concerned father also bores me. I'm sort of glad to see the kid from the mall made it.

The only reason I don't hate the crazy old lady at the church more is because she's played by Frances Conroy, whom I adore from her American Horror Story characters. The cop is abusive, though I've enjoyed the slight redemption ark he seems to be on. However, now they have a crazy plan to save the town by exposing the "sins" of his teenage son. Again, my least despised character just can't catch a break whether it's being falsely accused or getting his hands burned. I honestly hope the Mist eats all of them.

Speaking of the mist, I think I hate it second most of all for turning the animals against the humans. Just a horrible, horrible adaption of King's work in every way imaginable.

Anyway, I'm finished with this shit show.  I needed to vent my anger somewhere. Good luck and mercy unto those sticking it out further.

• Love 4

Did I miss something? The thread title is E09, but according to Spike this was E08.

Anyway this show is stupid and I hate it.

We're back to the mall and the food situation again, which still doesn't make any sense. It is totally illogical that the mall would be out of food at this point.

Vic's story is totally nonsensical. He says he "just left the mall" and has knowledge of their social structure falling apart which... as far as I can tell doesn't make any sense. He left when the mall was relatively okay socially, so how does he know they're falling apart? And hasn't it been like three days since he got thrown out? Totally lost with that.

I have no words over the reveal that Adrian is a psychopath and everything that happened in that scene. The entire time I was watching that story unfold with a slack jaw and a total disbelief at what I was seeing. He's the rapist? Really? That's the reveal?

At this point I'm just watching to see how disastrous this plot gets.

I figured Adrian had something to do with it but this show just gets worse with every episode. Eve is losing it as is Natalie. She's going to end up convincing th police officer hat he has to do away with his son - supported by Eve and then it will come out that Jay did nothing wrong and it was Adrian that raped her.

I love King - but sometimes things go too far off track. My interest in this show was the unexplained and horror not each individuals problems and hang ups. Authors sometimes go astray to fill up time and it back fires. I recently received an email from an author who has written some great zombie stories. He was giving the first 2 books free and you cold purchase the remainder of the series at a discount. The first book in the series was great and I was ready to buy the whole series from him but decided to read the 2nd book first. How disappointing to have the 2nd book of the series read like the Swiss Family Robinson with no zombies until the last 2 chapters. I won't be buying the rest of the series and if I had to pay to watch the Mist - I'd be asking for my money back.

• Love 1

How are they going to wrap this up in one more episode? I thought this was a miniseries, if it is continuing into other seasons I am really going to be kicking myself for getting involved in this shit show because I am not going to keep watching more seasons.

• Love 3

Come on ya all - I came here as I couldn't stomach to watch another episode and it looks like everyone else has had enough also. Just wanted to know what happened that I couldn't stand to watch. Guess I'll have to try and just fast forward thru it - 

20 minutes ago, tessat said:

Come on ya all - I came here as I couldn't stomach to watch another episode and it looks like everyone else has had enough also. Just wanted to know what happened that I couldn't stand to watch. Guess I'll have to try and just fast forward thru it - 

It's... it's getting really hard to slog through.

Adrian, Sniffly Chick and Hot Black Guy drove to the mall. Adrian went to find Alex. SC and BHG camped in the sporting goods store and had a touchy feely moment. HBG got busted by Wes (Wesley? Whoever the skinny white army guy is at the mall). He saluted HBG and called him Sir.

Kevin is alive. Kicked Out Mall Kid rescued him, took him in to a house. Kevin slept for a few hours. Kevin and KOMK decided to House-Hop to the mall. They got into another house that had a bunch of dead army guys in it. A crazy (possibly other Army) guy had a gun. Kevin and crazy guy fight. Crazy guy blows up house with grenade. KOMK took the Army hummer and drove to the mall.

The Mall Group was just tiki-torches away from a full-on mob, looking for Alex, who the Mall Manager blamed for that woman's death in the last epi. Adrian found Eve/Alex. Sad sob story about dead Kevin. Eve, Alex and Adrian were caught by the Flaming Mob.

Francis' Butt and the Cop took two people with them into underground sewers that just happened to connect the mall and the church. Creepy lady kept talking about rats and being weird. Random Man (of the two people) fell off a ladder and broke his leg spectacularly (and not in any way possible from that height). Wife begged Francis' Butt and the Cop to help get him from the hole he was in, but the Cop just shanked her with a knife and pushed her down the hole to die with her husband. Then there was some creepy almost-kissing-but-oh-got-my-eyes weirdness between Francis' Butt and the Cop.

I think that's it... Next week is the SEASON finale, so sadly... it's not a mini-series. They plan on continuing this drivel. I don't know if I can do it again.

• Love 5

amy - thank you so much - I don't think I could have stomached Francis and Cop. At this point the only one I like is Jay  - the one who was suppose to be the rapist. The fog could claim them all and would probably be kinder to them than I would if I got may hands on any of them. TG the finale is next week - how to take a great book and really destroy it.

Finally got around to watching this episode, and I thought this was Episode 8 as well -- @nodorothyparker, can you look into fixing the episode number ?

Who found the time ... in the mist ... to spray paint "Death is Here" on that Slow. Children at Play sign.

Is there a severe washcloth shortage in this town ?  Because people seem to leave blood on their faces for days after being spattered.  Sure, some have wounds, but come on.

Jet contrails contain biohazardous toxic waste from hospitals -- Really ?

If this is the Black Spring, why is the mist white ?

So, I guess, based on Mia's actions this episode, that emergency detox makes you horny ?

What kind of mall is this where all the doors lock from the outside without a key ?  Psych ward in a hospital now that makes sense for those kind of locks, but not a store in a mall.

I completely forgot about the mall manager is now a murderer, 

And Mrs. Raven burned the church while it still had people inside -- a church with apparently only 1 door (that seems like a fire code violation).
Blocking the church door with the cross was a nice touch.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

I was beginning to think that Vic was all in Kevin's mind, but he appears to be real -- though his Kevin's dead father was definitely a manifestation of his guilt for something.

Do you feel the rat's love ?  Mrs. Raven is way batshit crazy but the sheriff has gone all in with her and gets all stabby.  Is Mrs. Raven the new Pied Piper of Bridgton ?  Are the rats her new minions ?

Kevin really is having a shit day -- Adrian tries to shoot him, then that guy in the house tries to shoot him, and follows it up by trying to kill him with a grenade.

Could this show be any darker ?  Because it is really, really hard to see what's going on some times.

Lynch mob in the mall looking for Alex -- since Alex is evil.  There should be some pitchforks and torches on sale at the hardware store.

ETA: How come anyone else goes into the Mist and imagines something that ends up killing them (and generally right quickly), but our main characters -- no matter how much they are exposed to the Mist -- always seem to get off scott-free.  Mia with her mom, Kevin with his dad, Alex and the dark manifestation that killed the little girl.  

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

My God, was this bad.  I'm angry at myself for tuning every week thinking this has GOT to get better.  I was wrong and what a bunch of crap.  After 10 weeks of nonsense, watching Frances Conroy lovingly breastfeed a dead baby put this into a new level of WTF.   Goodbye, Spike channel - do better next time!

• Love 7

I think my biggest problem was that so many people in this town are stupid, their first instinct when they see a strange mist that lowers visibility to about a few feet in front of them decide to wander deeper into the mist.

Even if it was just a normal mist, that's really stupid behavior, at least grab a flash light before you wander into pea soup mist, there's plenty of mundane ways that could lead to disaster, fender benders, running into things, things running into you, tripping and falling over unseen objects. 

This reminded me a lot of Under the Dome in that everyone acts like idiots. 

Edited by wayne67

I don't like the drug addled woman.

Other than the emo gay kid playing the Priest this episode was a snore fest. 

I always find it funny when they use that whole Job thing as a rationale for God 'testing' people. God tortured a guy and murdered his family and friends to win a bet against Satan. Yeah, really convincing story as to why you should care about God's love. 

Edited by wayne67
2 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

What was the deal with the crazy old lady and that creepy baby? At least she is gone.

I liked Kevin smashing into the mall doors.

I believe that was her son whom was killed,among with others,in a church fire

• Love 3

Well I'm glad Adrian got some action but it seemed a little off, partly because banging in hospital bathroom seems very low rent and also hooking with your closet case bully is very sad.

When my high school bully turned out to be gay I was like "hey fam" and when he wanted to 'hang out' I bailed hard on that nonsense, because while finding out he was gay was funny, I didn't want to be friends with him or to hook up with him because he made my life terrible for two years. 

I'd rather have Adrian hook up with Gamer Outcast, that jock is so not pretty enough to hook up with Adrian. 

I don't really care about any of these characters. I'm only watching this because it's background noise while I'm playing a game and I can't be bothered going through another anime with its cliches.

I really wished J just let Alex die in a fire. She's boring, their interactions are boring and the mother is nuts.

I'm still waiting for the "You shall not suffer a witch to live" in the church. It's very cliche. 

Anyone find it curious how snuggly Adrian is with the Dad? Am I the only one hoping for a secret gay relationship.

Edited by wayne67

Natalie's religion didn't take long before it started murdering the non believers. Like one day... I think, the timeline on this show is hard to fathom.

I'm assuming that Vic considered his banishment as a sign of the downhill nature of the group. 

Eve sucks, everyone sucks. Why am I still watching this abomination ?

• Love 1
On 8/20/2017 at 10:23 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

ETA: How come anyone else goes into the Mist and imagines something that ends up killing them (and generally right quickly), but our main characters -- no matter how much they are exposed to the Mist -- always seem to get off scott-free.  Mia with her mom, Kevin with his dad, Alex and the dark manifestation that killed the little girl.  

Super plot armor, as opposed to gas masks which would make more sense if it was a pathogen of some sort. 

Everyone goes from apparently sane to homicidal really quickly in this town/show. 

I think Jay is the most likable person in this show, which is probably why he wanted Eve to put him out of his misery so he wouldn't have to put up with the stupidity any more. 

• Love 1

Well that was awful. I kept waiting for that paint shop to explode the mall but apparently they forgot that plot point in all the stupidity.

Does seem they are trying to get a second season with the 8 people who survived this nonsense being shown at the end.

I don't think anyone wants to watch a second season of this crap. At least Under the Dome had that kind of train wreck appeal, this was just bleh. I mostly watched to see if Adrian would have some fun gay sex with someone but the closest we got was watching Closet jock making out with him in the hospital bathroom. I guess it was for the best that Closet Jock stayed in the psych ward, though he probably won't survive the evil military using this town as the Mist's feeding ground.

Poor Jay, not only was he risking his life for his crazy girlfriend/sister repeatedly, the only reward he got for his efforts was a burnt hand, multiple bruises and sent to be killed by his dad only to die from being raped by a smoke monster. 

Netflix really does seem to have the most terrible selection. After Starstruck, Death note and now this, I'm worried every time I click on anything on Netflix. *sigh*

• Love 2