Type keyword(s) to search

The Mist - General Discussion

• Start Topic

You shoot a car and suddenly the doors are all open. I guess this show takes place in the Grand Theft Auto universe.

Thank you...REDMAL, I thought that it was just me that had the same thinking.

This entire series is just not keeping my attention.....they took a good novel, an OK movie and made it into the most boring series....I just don't care about any of the characters!

And I really, really hate Alex, she can die anytime....I think I'm done trying to watch this series, it's just not good.

• Love 1
On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 11:15 AM, loki567 said:

Also creepy, the priest and kid. I had no clue what they were doing with the baptism scene. 

The kid faked wanting to be baptized so he could steal the keys and get the people locked up out.

We have a guy struggling to get to his wife and daughter but he wife is glad he isn't there.  She and the hippie lady are my most disliked characters.  They would both be outside if I could chose.  The rape angle is annoying.   The mist seems to be a little of everything so far.  I'll stick around until the finale.  A look at the show's IMDB page gives me the impression that we are in for some stranger twists ahead.

On 7/1/2017 at 11:15 AM, DEM said:

of course it conveniently got stuck on an unseen nothing! Such lame screenwriting.

Given that radio signals weren't working in the mist I just thought it would shut down. Being stuck but still broadcasting was strange.

Hey security team - you know what your job is? Security. Instead of explaining to some random shoppers where the equipment is, go get it your own damned self.

When they found the equipment, I was exasperated that they didn't just grab the case and go - but then there turned out to be a plot related reason not to do that.

I found it very strange that (in my area) the ad against chewing tobacco (I think - can't watch the thing) with the guy missing half his jaw was broadcast during this episode. I'm not sure if it was clever marketing or a terrible mistake.

• Love 1

I have the feeling that overly protective (OP) rape mom was once a victim of rape herself which is why she had a chokehold on her daughter.  I mean, why tell your kid the reason why you're being OP is that you've been there, done that which leads to D being raped....?   I guess that is a way to have a story line?

I think this episode was easily the weakest of the bunch so far, but I still plan to continue watching because of my fondness for the source material.

I have a real issue with shows that can only reach a major plot point through silly contrivances: case in point, the gamer/nerd guys. I thought it was kind of brilliant when they found a cool tool/weapon in the shop because it’s just like how you would find a good weapon in a survival video game, but then they go dumb (way dumb for gamer/nerd types) by deciding to use it to harpoon unknown stuff in the Mist. This, of course, leads to the death of the little girl in the bookstore but even, more importantly, begs the question: why hasn’t this back door been locked yet? Why is the store front even still open if for some reason the back door can’t be locked?

Even though King is one of the few people who can get away with killing children, I was still surprised that the little girl died. I think the scene didn’t come off as emotionally affecting because it’s still hard to kill off children violently on tv. Hence, her “death” was bloodless, very slow, almost bland. I did like how her mom did not respond well to hearing Alex’s story about what happened and left the little splinter group to rejoin the others.

I didn’t find much of the church conflict or garage drama with the “heroes” all that interesting. None of the acting was particularly good (neither the priest or the dad of the dead kid was strong enough for those key roles), and it was weird because I’m not sure if the regular black guy (the soldier) even had any speaking lines of note. I guess he did wrestle with the dad in the garage and manage to get shot in a way that should lead to death, so that’s something. Mrs. Raven continues to irritate, but why is the cop sort of bonding with her? And what’s in her jar IS interesting since priest-man stomped that spider into little itsy-bitsy spider bits. Considering they’re both from Maine, maybe the spider is related to Mr. Jingles!

The people stuck in the church seem like a bunch of assholes, when they're not dull as dirt.  How did they know that guy's kid was dead?  Was it shown (I admit I don't pay 100% attention).  I mean, I know they wanted his car, just say "we'll look for your kid, just drop us at the mall" or whatever.  The junkie girl saying "shoot him" really got on my nerves.  Guy is upset about his kid, you know?  Stop freaking him out so that he waves the gun around, now someone is shot.  Good work, people!

6 hours ago, Ed McCauley said:

I thought it was kind of brilliant when they found a cool tool/weapon in the shop because it’s just like how you would find a good weapon in a survival video game, but then they go dumb (way dumb for gamer/nerd types) by deciding to use it to harpoon unknown stuff in the Mist.

I actually thought this was kind of funny until they let the Mist in and ruined a perfectly good bookstore!  Oh yeah, the little girl died too, but the show hasn't given me a reason to really care.

So they just throw the guy out into the mist because of it?  Er, not like he WANTED someone to die, plus his friend died too.  OK, the mall is also full of a bunch of jerks as well as the church.

So the whole town sucks.  Go for it, Mist.

• Love 3
(edited)
9 hours ago, raven said:

The people stuck in the church seem like a bunch of assholes, when they're not dull as dirt.  How did they know that guy's kid was dead?  Was it shown (I admit I don't pay 100% attention).  I mean, I know they wanted his car, just say "we'll look for your kid, just drop us at the mall" or whatever.  The junkie girl saying "shoot him" really got on my nerves.  Guy is upset about his kid, you know?  Stop freaking him out so that he waves the gun around, now someone is shot.  Good work, people!

They literally tripped over the kid, who was laying on the ground beside his bicycle, while they were wandering through the mist to get to the gas station.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 2
On 7/12/2017 at 6:22 PM, Finagler said:

I have the feeling that overly protective (OP) rape mom was once a victim of rape herself which is why she had a chokehold on her daughter.  I mean, why tell your kid the reason why you're being OP is that you've been there, done that which leads to D being raped....?   I guess that is a way to have a story line?

Plus there have been several references from other towns folk that the mom had a reputation when she was young, so your theory is pretty plausible.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

They literally tripped over the kid, who was laying on the ground beside his bicycle, while they were wandering through the mist to get to the gas station.

Wow, totally missed that.  Did the dad see it or were they just expecting him to take their word for it? 

A TV show only has so many episodes, but they're pushing the panicky escalation too quickly; it was more believable in the movie.  Everyone on the show is annoying to me.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, raven said:

Wow, totally missed that.  Did the dad see it or were they just expecting him to take their word for it? 

A TV show only has so many episodes, but they're pushing the panicky escalation too quickly; it was more believable in the movie.  Everyone on the show is annoying to me.

Nope, the dad did not see it -- since the kid looked to be in a park, and the dad drove to the gas station.

You would have at least thought they would tell him where his son was.

• Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

You would have at least thought they would tell him where his son was.

My thought exactly.

Alex is a demon.  And/or she's going to transform into a praying mantis. Seriously, what is with the tri-folded arm thing she does?

I also was confused by the mall group's failure to lock the back door after the first incident. Some of the actions in this show would make more sense in a fast-paced 2-hour movie.

The priest is very hard-core, old-school fundamentalist.  It's weird IMO.  Why wouldn't any of those people want to know what happened the last time (the Black Spring)? Like wouldn't you want to know if it only lasted 7 days or the town fixed the problem by turning on all the water taps and dancing a jig?  And his disciple is harbouring a dark secret, I bet.  Like serial-killing.

Edited by DEM
  • Love 2

I watched about 7 minutes of this episode and I just realized that I still don't give a shit about anything that happens in this show. We're halfway through, so the setup should be done and we're supposed to care about the characters and fear for their lives. But nothing. There isn't even that dumb factor Under the dome had, which made me laugh for the show for three seasons.

I'm done. No more Mist for me.

• Love 2

Is this supposed to be a continuing series or one run?  I don't see how they can keep this hot mess alive for more than one season.  This show is so silly.  I find myself fast-forwarding through most of it.  I don't care about the dialogue because most of it doesn't make sense.   I've read everything by SFK except the Dark Towers series, but I can't remember how the story ended.  If memory serves me correctly, The Mist was a short story.

I'll finish the series though by fast-forwarding through most of it.  I don't care enough about the people to be interested in their lives before the mist came.

• Love 1

Although I missed bits of this episode due to stuff going on around me, I generally thought it was MUCH better than the last few. Why? Maybe because there was no mall (with its lax security and annoying people) and no church (with its equally annoying crazy lady and priest). In fact, if they never went back to the church until it was over, I wouldn’t miss it. The mall is the stand-in for the community grocery store from the source material (as well as homage to Dawn of the Dead) so I guess we have to go back to that, especially since Eve and child are there.

And speaking of Eve and child, it is (strongly?) implied that Kevin is not Alex’s dad. Really didn’t see that coming, but the little backstory on Kevin and Eve’s relationship did put things in context of why Eve might say she was glad Kevin wasn’t at the mall, and why Kevin was always the “good cop” at home for Alex. The stuff between Kevin and “brother” Mike seemed more out of left field (was there mention of a brother in an earlier episode?), but I thought they traded a few good sibling barbs at each other. You knew Mike was a goner from the moment we see him, but he was dispatched in a suitably messy fashion (why leeches, unless reference to interfering with Eve’s ability to “love” a good guy).

There was another major twist I didn’t see coming, that the black guy “Bryan” isn’t really Bryan. This left Mia, who was starting to soften towards him, to go back into rage mode since this was another trust betrayal to her, and she left the hospital in the car (not sure if she hot-wired it or somehow got the keys from Adrian who had them). This move should end up with her dead or not being seen again, but I suspect she’ll be back since she’s a regular.

Adrian also had a big scene, a make-out session with the jock who beat him up at the party Alex was raped at (and beat him again here for good measure). But, of course, this was all a repressed sexuality cover-up, a la American Beauty, so he ended up kissing Adrian and they had sex. Mia to Adrian: remember your safe word, mine’s dolphin! LOL! So that leaves us back at the question, who did rape Alex since they are trying to make Jay look like he might not have done it either?

I’m going to stick with the show unless it gets too dumb for me to forgive. Given the people at the mall, it may get there.

Next week, Mrs. Raven is back. Boo!

• Love 2
8 hours ago, RedMal said:

I watched about 7 minutes of this episode and I just realized that I still don't give a shit about anything that happens in this show. We're halfway through, so the setup should be done and we're supposed to care about the characters and fear for their lives. But nothing. There isn't even that dumb factor Under the dome had, which made me laugh for the show for three seasons.

I'm done. No more Mist for me.

I feel the same way as far as I don't give a shit about these people.  I don't know why I'm still watching.  Probably because there's not that many episodes so I may as well just finish it up. 

I haaaaaaaate the trope of the tough jock beating up the gay kid meaning he is secretly gay and really wants to have random sex with this kid that he's beating up.  Why would Adrian (is that his name?  See how little I care?  I only know like 3 of the characters names) go back for another round?  Yuck.  That's not teaching kids healthy behaviors or how important self-esteem is.

I hate that Mia (I only remember her name because that's my daughter's name) just took off without talking to Bryan.  He admitted he had amnesia.  I don't remember- did he have dog tags?  How'd he know his first name?  Anyway, one of them is the real Bryan and with this messed up situation I think a conversation is in order.  But nope, she just took off. 

And yes- to me it was straight out stated that Kevin (??) is not Alex's dad. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Evagirl said:

Is this supposed to be a continuing series or one run?  I don't see how they can keep this hot mess alive for more than one season.  This show is so silly.  I find myself fast-forwarding through most of it.  I don't care about the dialogue because most of it doesn't make sense.   I've read everything by SFK except the Dark Towers series, but I can't remember how the story ended.  If memory serves me correctly, The Mist was a short story.

That didn't stop them from renewing 'Under the Dome', 'ZOO' and, fer Pete's sake, fucking 'Wayward Pines'! But, not 'Brain Dead' which really was a fun summer show. 

This show is bad. The networks should just leave Stephen King's books alone. 

• Love 2
On 7/21/2017 at 9:48 AM, Evagirl said:

I'll finish the series though by fast-forwarding through most of it.  I don't care enough about the people to be interested in their lives before the mist came.

I'm hoping it's a one-run, because it's pretty bad... I had hopes, but I give no shits about any of these people!

As for the original, yes, The Mist was a short story. The story centered around people who were stuck in a grocery store (small town store, nothing big like a Publix or Kroeger).  Anyone who left would eventually die.  Our hero (who's name I can't recall) had a band of survivors, trying to stay alive against Ms. Carmody, the town Bible Psycho, who had been bringing people to 'her side' of thinking that it was Revelation and the Apocalypse.
After a few days, they hopped into his car to try to survive (before Ms. Carmody could basically sacrifice his little boy). The last sentences basically stated that they'd been driving for days, and finally picked up a weak radio signal out of a little town and that the word "sounded like hope"... which you can take to mean they hoped that if they got to that little town, they would be safe. It's a very ambiguous ending, and nothing like the movie ending.

• Love 1

Glad I'm not the only one losing interest. I was really hopeful as the first few episodes were good - after being so disappointed in Fear the Walking Dead which I stopped viewing but.... here we go again - I want to find out more behind the Mist - what is it - where did it come from? I don't care to see Kevin and Eve in bed for 5 minutes - nor that much of their back story - I don't need to see Adrian have the crap beat out of him and then make love to his abuser - and then Mia running away instead of getting to the bottom of the Brian / Not Brian story. I fast forwarded a lot this episode.

• Love 1

I fast forwarded thru most of this because I don't care, at all, about the main characters. I kind of like Mia and Not-Bryan and I'd like to know more about them.

One of my least favorite tv tropes is the "character who is Not A Doctor easily performs life saving surgery under completely ridiculous circumstances and conditions". Why do we even need medical schools? Anybody can do it with just a little phone help. Mike did die, of course, but it was the Mist that killed him, not the surgery.

I might watch to the end but not if the rest of the episodes are as skippable as this one. I mean it was a throwaway episode. The few minutes spent on the Bryan story were interesting but the rest didn't advance the story at all. Lots of shows have throwaway episodes but not usually the 5th episode in a limited run.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Mia took the keys Adrian stupidly left sitting beside him on the bench.

Gah, you can just SEE the writing, you know? So bad.

Mia is now on my Misted List. I feel like I rate most of the characters according to who I want to least see die.

• Love 1

So what exactly was the point of having Kevin find Mike and then save his life via emergency surgery if leeches were going to fall off the ceiling and devour him?  And OF COURSE Kevin would slip and fall on the way back from the surgery and not on the way to.  So much trope.  ugh.  I guess that was done so we could have the flashbacks that nobody cares about it to explain the backstory that nobody cares about.

I hate that the jock that was mean and abusive to Adrian at the party was, OF COURSE, at the hospital.  And, OF COURSE, he's totally repressed.  Please. Just ridiculous.  Not to mention that if I were at the hospital because one of my friends had been shot and people were dying because of this mist, I think I'd have other things on my mind besides getting laid.  Just saying.

OF COURSE Mia manages to swipe the keys right out from under Adrian's nose.  And takes off with the tiny amount of gas left in the truck.  Gah.

I'm thankful we weren't subjected to any more of Mrs. Raven's crazy bullshit or of the people at the mall who keep thinking they can open doors and shit.  Why are people spead all out anyhow?  Shouldn't there be a rule or law or whatever they call it that everyone stays in one common area?  If they did that, it's less likely the cannon fodder would be opening side and back doors.  Geez, these people honestly are too stupid to live. 

I want to like this show.  I really do.  But it's so over all the place and I don't like the majority of the characters.

16 minutes ago, psychoticstate said:

And OF COURSE Kevin would slip and fall on the way back from the surgery and not on the way to.  

I did laugh at this.  The entire visual of Kevin running through the mist, pushing his friend (brother? were they blood related brothers?) on the stretcher was amusing.  Why does the mist not bother Kevin?  Is he special?? Ughhh.  I found the leeches funny rather than horrifying because the guy was not just telling Kevin to go but telling him to stay with his wife or something. I don't remember.   

18 minutes ago, psychoticstate said:

I want to like this show.  I really do.  But it's so over all the place and I don't like the majority of the characters.

This.  I was kind of looking forward to this show but I don't know if I'll bother with it all the way through.

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 7:23 AM, Ed McCauley said:

And speaking of Eve and child, it is (strongly?) implied that Kevin is not Alex’s dad. Really didn’t see that coming, but the little backstory on Kevin and Eve’s relationship did put things in context of why Eve might say she was glad Kevin wasn’t at the mall, and why Kevin was always the “good cop” at home for Alex. The stuff between Kevin and “brother” Mike seemed more out of left field (was there mention of a brother in an earlier episode?), but I thought they traded a few good sibling barbs at each other. You knew Mike was a goner from the moment we see him, but he was dispatched in a suitably messy fashion (why leeches, unless reference to interfering with Eve’s ability to “love” a good guy).

There was another major twist I didn’t see coming, that the black guy “Bryan” isn’t really Bryan. This left Mia, who was starting to soften towards him, to go back into rage mode since this was another trust betrayal to her, and she left the hospital in the car (not sure if she hot-wired it or somehow got the keys from Adrian who had them). This move should end up with her dead or not being seen again, but I suspect she’ll be back since she’s a regular.

So, I am assuming that Mike is Alex's dad after some of his comments?  Makes sense then why Eve wanted nothing to do with Mike and Mike;s comments about Eve during his final moments and him saying Alex was a great kid, etc. earlier.

I'm liking the "Bryan" twist and looking forward to find out about what went down. 

On 7/22/2017 at 1:08 PM, tessat said:

which I stopped viewing but.... here we go again - I want to find out more behind the Mist - what is it - where did it come from? I don't care to see Kevin and Eve in bed for 5 minutes - nor that much of their back story - I don't need to see Adrian have the crap beat out of him and then make love to his abuser - and then Mia running away instead of getting to the bottom of the Brian / Not Brian story. I fast forwarded a lot this episode.

I too don't need 5 minutes of Kevin and Eve IN bed..especially THOSE 5 minutes! (My grandma was watching with me ...talk about Awkward ) she is cool with gore, mystery etc..but not kevin and Eve thrusting like bunnies..but when Kevin said she never responded like that before well then Kevin you need to step up your game.

As for the mist I also wanted more/why/ how. We have only seen it kill the dog, Ms carmody, moth tattoo guy, cop with roaches, fatal attack on mike and little girl in bookstore. We never saw the kid on bike, the initial attack on mike or what happened with the man who killed crazy nature ladies hubby. The hospital gift shop looked like suicide just like the 2 soldiers.I hope I didn't miss anything, but I probably did. All the other dead we have seen from the offices and hospital were just bloody bodies.we don't know how theyou die. ALSO how does the mist get in buildings and stay there. I don't think the surgical wing door was air tight.

Oh and the Adrian and bully who turns out to be gay..from American Beauty to Glee is overdone and unoriginal

WE r halfway thru..start finding what caused it and how to fight it instead of just run..

• Love 1
On 7/24/2017 at 11:19 AM, Palomar said:

So, I am assuming that Mike is Alex's dad after some of his comments?  Makes sense then why Eve wanted nothing to do with Mike and Mike;s comments about Eve during his final moments and him saying Alex was a great kid, etc. earlier.

I'm picking up that Mike raped Eve and Alex is their child from that rape. I could be way off base, but it seems telegraphed from the way Eve hates Mike.

On 7/24/2017 at 8:22 PM, Poohbear617 said:

As for the mist I also wanted more/why/ how.

I read the book 100 years ago and saw the movie 90 years ago. I don't remember ever finding out the "why" behind the mist.

• Love 2

How many days of this mist has it been? Call me naive but it feels like seemingly normal people are resorting to crazed violence and criminal behavior very quickly! I admit that I don't recall how much time had passed in the book before people went rogue, but I am certain that SK made it work regardless.

I'm watching, only because I liked the movie and with the hope that the show MAY turn around or at least have one unforgettable scene or special effect that evens things out.  I don't know any of the characters names and have no idea what that criminal/junkie girl was looking for in that house.  I pay just enough attention to keep track of the general story (what's going on at the church, happenings at the hospital, the mall people).

They make it hard though, to be drawn to these characters.  I was really gritting my teeth after watching the mother and daughter have their little fashion show moment and then the ultra protective mama bear portrayed in previous episodes lets her daughter wander around after seeing that horrible presence in the mist that took a young girl.   

• Love 5

I don't care about anyone except maybe Mrs. Raven(?) ("crazy" lady at the church). Everyone is too stupid. The reverend is mean. Mia's driving around on an empty tank. What's-his-face (dark curly hair, Alex's dad) seems immune to the mist but no one's trying to figure out why. There's just so much going on and no reason to any of it.

12 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Am I the only person still watching?

Nope. You aren’t alone! :) This was a pretty good episode and even further improved over last week’s. Normally, I wouldn’t comment about a tv show’s editing, but I think that was the key in this episode because it successfully interwove the action going on in different places through the use of quick cross-cutting (especially during Mia’s scenes in the house) and gave the episode a sense of pace that it sometimes lacks. This process can get tiresome, but I think it was more successful than not.

This episode also has to be noted because it made Mrs. Raven into a sympathetic figure! Of course, it is only because she was on the verge of being killed by the creepy church follower Link (who looks like the puffy older brother of the crazed kid preacher in the original Children of the Corn), but, it is character development at least. Rest in pieces, Link.

Why did the mostly sympathetic doctor in the hospital suddenly turn into Mengele? I don’t even think he was exposed to the Mist (which seems to cause inner traits/fears to become manifest), so he made the leap by himself to Dr. Death. If he survives Bryan’s stabbing and the mist pouring into the hospital, I hope he gets marked down on Yelp. It is interesting that Kevin saw himself in the Mist, but I do not know what it portends.

Alex, Alex, Alex. You have a sort of interesting idea (that you might be immune to the Mist), bravely volunteer to go out and find help, actually try to equip yourself smartly, then get locked into a room (almost certainly not by Jay, but most probably by dead girl momma who was staring at you intently just moments earlier) which is set on fire, yet YOU DO NOT PICK UP THE FIRE EXTINGUISHER HANGING BY THE DOOR. Ugh!

Eve remains unsympathetic, but she seems to have embraced it.

Thankfully the car Mia “appropriated” has a Die-Hard battery in it, since she left the headlights on when she went into the house.

Continuity Issue: The last shot of the remaining parishioners (aka red shirts) in the church did not show the woman of color who has been there from the beginning even though there is no reason for her not to be.

Next week: Our hospital heroes check themselves into the psyche ward, and there will be a showdown of Nature vs. God. Perhaps it will end in a tie and take out both Mrs. Raven and the Priest.

• Love 4
(edited)
On 7/28/2017 at 2:27 AM, bilgistic said:

Am I the only person still watching?

Nope

I'm still watching for the screamingly bad dialogue as well as the WTFness 

Wait, the refrigerator is still working,  but all of the other electricity is out in the mall?

"How did we get here, Eve?"

Yeah, I don't know if I can even hate watch anymore 

Edited by OoogleEyes
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 7/28/2017 at 8:20 AM, magpye29 said:

Adrian's eyeliner disappeared.

Yeah,   Seriously, only minutes passed between the end of last episode and this one, and his eyeliner was just gone and never reappeared.

So bored with Mia's momma drama.

As soon as Kevin started seeing the melting gurney I was waiting for the burning giraffes to stroll by in the background.

The doctor's flip to the dark side seemed to happen WAY too quickly.

Alex not using the fire extinguisher was just stupid.  I concur that it was probably the dead girl's mom that set the fire.

What are the odds that a modern printing shop in a mall has an old-timey printing press -- and Eve knows how to run it.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

I completely blanked on Kevin seeing himself in the mist. That's how much this show is keeping me entertained. It's veering dangerously close to "Kingdom Hospital" levels of WTF and I don't care.

• Love 1

I tried, I really did.  I love reading Stephen King, but don't often like movies/TV shows from his book.  I watched the pilot and about 1/2 of the second one and gave up.  Too far from the book, too predictable, and I don't care for the acting.

Nothing against anyone who is enjoying it, we all have different likes.

• Love 1