Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E13: Whitney Steps Up

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Tosia said:

There have been several comments comparing the old first season Twit to today's Twit, and how she looks heavier, despite Twit saying that she weighs less. I think her weight is settling--much like the  foundation of a house.  Seriously, the fat is hanging more, and Twit is not as able to lift it up to move it about when she "dances".   The fat around her face is also more evident--hence the scarves she was wearing in this episode. Twit barely lifts her legs or her feet off the ground.

What kind of "dancer" doesn't move her legs or feet?

Watching FM's Dance video with Twit, it's very evident how little Twit dances.  Watch Twit, and watch the Blond girl on the left.  I'm not sure how good she is, but that blond girl adds so much flair.  She's by far the best dancer of the four and if she's slumming it her just proves how competitive professional dancing is.  It's cutthroat.  Whit's frail technique and ego would not last two seconds.  Not even a whitney arabesque.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, M.F. Luder said:

Sometimes rocking the half-bald look is better than trying to cover it up with methods that end up looking worse and drawing more attention to the problem. This is the reason why the toupee seems to have gone out of fashion. Whitney should just let her hair be thin. The obvious taped in extensions look much worse than seeing bits of her scalp. Wasn't Mattie her hairdresser at some point? Mattie needs to hook her up with a wig.

The thing is, when you compare her current "look" to the way she looked over the last two seasons, it's remarkable.  Either TLC cut the hair & makeup budget, or Whitney is really cheap or really broke.  Setting aside her weight (and remember to lift-with-your-legs when you do that) in Season 1 and somewhat Season 2 (especially in the THs) her hair and makeup looked really good.  But this season, even in the THs, she looks like hell.  

TLC is really not doing Whitney any favors by running these retrospective shows back-to-back with current season shows.

On Bab's Stroke: Last week I thought it was completely unbelievable that neither Glenn nor Hunter would've called Whitney earlier than what we saw.  But seeing Whitney's histrionics reinforced that she's emotionally-arrested at about the age of 10 - 12.  Assuming her family is all used to that by now, I can totally see them not wanting to get in touch with her until they know exactly how serious, or not-serious, the situation is.

• Love 10
16 hours ago, Nowhere said:

You're freaking hilarious ???

Oh, thank you! I worry that, in line with the dark turn the show has taken, my posts are super depressing, just like Whitney's life.

Relatedly, the decision to tack on first-season episodes is a strange one; are they trying to deliberately highlight just how far downhill Whitney has gone? I mean, just the juxtaposition of her personal grooming, then and now, is enough to make me think there's something clinically amiss in Whitney's head. It's just all so dark! Like a long-form snuff film or something. 

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Bunnygirl said:

How about: Cock Cloggers?  Tallywacker Tappers?  Trouser snake Twirlers? Salami Shakers? 

Prick Prancers?

Edited by Dot
  • Love 5

I said this awhile back when the stroke news originally came out but I don't believe Bab had an actual stroke, I'm almost certain she had a transient ischemic attack. It's sometimes referred to as a "mini-stroke" and looks exactly like a stroke but it's not one, almost everyone makes a full recovery within a few days if not hours with no long term deficits. It's not a good thing, there is some evidence that it makes a real stroke later down the line more likely but it's not a stroke.

• Love 8

I want to know who it was who thought taping extensions onto heads was a good idea?  That look is just so cheap and ugly.  Especially when the person who does it also does not wash or comb their hair regularly.  Twit is starting to look like an escapee from "Intervention".  If we start to see her cooking on a hot plate while in bed, we'll know she's ready to see Dr. Now.

• Love 7
14 hours ago, M.F. Luder said:

Sometimes rocking the half-bald look is better than trying to cover it up with methods that end up looking worse and drawing more attention to the problem. This is the reason why the toupee seems to have gone out of fashion. Whitney should just let her hair be thin. The obvious taped in extensions look much worse than seeing bits of her scalp. Wasn't Mattie her hairdresser at some point? Mattie needs to hook her up with a wig.

Is she trying to save some money? I mean in Season 1 wasn't she going to a professional every x amount of weeks to get extensions done professionally?  So now she has money to buy a home and live a FABULOUS life but no money to properly take care of her looks (especially with the fact she is on television) and time to do the basics (i.e. shower).

Yep.... her life is so freaking fabulous. (sarcasm)

• Love 5
3 hours ago, John M said:

I said this awhile back when the stroke news originally came out but I don't believe Bab had an actual stroke, I'm almost certain she had a transient ischemic attack. It's sometimes referred to as a "mini-stroke" and looks exactly like a stroke but it's not one, almost everyone makes a full recovery within a few days if not hours with no long term deficits. It's not a good thing, there is some evidence that it makes a real stroke later down the line more likely but it's not a stroke.

I thought so too, but then we heard the doctor say on this episode that Babs had a hemorrhagic stroke. A blood vessel rupturing, so more serious than a transient blood clot.

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Ocean Chick said:

I want to know who it was who thought taping extensions onto heads was a good idea?  That look is just so cheap and ugly.  Especially when the person who does it also does not wash or comb their hair regularly.  Twit is starting to look like an escapee from "Intervention".  If we start to see her cooking on a hot plate while in bed, we'll know she's ready to see Dr. Now.

I guess even my cataract surgery isn't helping me with this. I don't see her taped extensions. I just did an image search and didn't see anything strange on various recent pictures, either. Maybe I don't know what I'm looking for. Can someone post a pic where the extensions are obvious?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, greekmom said:

I mean in Season 1 wasn't she going to a professional every x amount of weeks to get extensions done professionally?  

She was getting a weave in Season 1 and it looked really nice. I don't get it either. Her entire look has gone down hill, not just the hair. It's the clothes and makeup, too. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, greekmom said:

Is she trying to save some money? I mean in Season 1 wasn't she going to a professional every x amount of weeks to get extensions done professionally?  So now she has money to buy a home and live a FABULOUS life but no money to properly take care of her looks (especially with the fact she is on television) and time to do the basics (i.e. shower).

For that matter, don't lots of TV shows have wardrobe and makeup people on the set?  Does her contract not say anything about  how she has to present herself for taping?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Ketzel said:

I thought so too, but we then heard the doctor say on this episode that Babs had a hemorrhagic stroke. A blood vessel rupturing, so more serious than a transient blot clot.

The symptoms and presentation of a hemorrhagic stroke and a TIA can be similar.  The symptoms of a stroke depend entirely upon what area of the brain is affected.  Typically symptoms of a TIA completely resolve in an hour or so, although there can be repeat TIA's in short order.  It certainly looked like Babs has some residual impairment on her right-side hand (as Whitney egregiously made a point of highlighting, that asshole).  Combined with the doctor's comment, I'm inclined to believe it was something more than a TIA.  

Whitney's breaking down while describing her mother being put on anti-seizure medication was ridiculous, though.  That's purely precautionary after a stroke, and could be a medication as common as Valium or Ativan, which God knows Babs needs to put up with Whitney anyway.

6 minutes ago, auntjess said:

For that matter, don't lots of TV shows have wardrobe and makeup people on the set?  Does her contract not say anything about  how she has to present herself for taping?

I just assumed in Season 1 and 2 that TLC was doing her hair and make-up for the TH's.  Those are all typically taped in one sitting at the end of filming for the season.  But even her THs this season look awful.  

I consistently can't believe that Whitney allows herself to be filmed looking the way she does (and I'm not talking about her weight) and doing the things she does.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Alapaki said:

The thing is, when you compare her current "look" to the way she looked over the last two seasons, it's remarkable.  Either TLC cut the hair & makeup budget, or Whitney is really cheap or really broke.  Setting aside her weight (and remember to lift-with-your-legs when you do that) in Season 1 and somewhat Season 2 (especially in the THs) her hair and makeup looked really good.  But this season, even in the THs, she looks like hell.  

TLC is really not doing Whitney any favors by running these retrospective shows back-to-back with current season shows.

On Bab's Stroke: Last week I thought it was completely unbelievable that neither Glenn nor Hunter would've called Whitney earlier than what we saw.  But seeing Whitney's histrionics reinforced that she's emotionally-arrested at about the age of 10 - 12.  Assuming her family is all used to that by now, I can totally see them not wanting to get in touch with her until they know exactly how serious, or not-serious, the situation is.

I was thinking the same thing about why Glenn seemed to have notified Hunter right away, but nobody notified Whitney.., but my guess is either it was edited to make it seem she just came upon the scene but in real life she was notified, or perhaps even maybe she wasn't notified right away because they didn't want the cameras involved.

They were all extremely lucky Babs stroke was (seemingly) relatively small... a hemorrhagic stroke is nothing to take lightly and most are not as fortunate as Babs to return to normal.  Within a matter of hours of not getting medical attention could have drastically changed the outcome. I originally assumed it was a TIA stroke based on the outcome, but the doctor specifically said hemorrhagic, which makes me dislike Whitney even more for how selfish she has been.

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, aliya said:

I guess even my cataract surgery isn't helping me with this. I don't see her taped extensions. I just did an image search and didn't see anything strange on various recent pictures, either. Maybe I don't know what I'm looking for. Can someone post a pic where the extensions are obvious?

I posted pictures showing them in this message. Look at the two pictures on the top.

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, aliya said:

On the previous page of comments, there are recent pictures of Whitney and the tape is extremely obvious. They are rectangular shiny pieces stuck in her excessively greasy hair.

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, aliya said:

Don't feel bad, until the photos were posted upthread I hadn't noticed it either.  Between only being able to bring myself to half-watch while I surf the web, and there being so much ridiculousness going on in each scene, I think missing the scotch-tape extensions is forgiveable.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, auntjess said:

Is it difficult to shampoo your hair with all those extensions?  Do they fall off or even get washed down the drain?
I've never had them so don't know how they shampoo.

I look up hair extensions tape on Amazon and found some. The descriptions says: "This tape with proper care will last for 4 - 10 weeks." Therefore, since no one should ever go that long without washing their hair, I conclude that you can wash your hair with them in place.

BTW, 120 count was only $12 so it's not like it would cost much if she did need to replace them early due to washing her hair too often. She's just not taking care of her hair, plain and simple.

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, Complexity said:

I posted pictures showing them in this message. Look at the two pictures on the top.

WTH????  She's got tape in her hair??? No wonder y'all are snarking on her so. Jeez...

On a side note, as a child, I cut my bangs when my mother was out. Realizing this might be problematic, I taped the cut hair to what was left of my bangs. As if my mother wouldn't notice... 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, aliya said:

Yes, please! I've been trying to figure it out, too, but wasn't sure how to ask the question.

Just now, Dot said:

I just see those as her bald spot -- am I missing something else about the pics?

Look closely - you can see the tape. In the first picture, go straight up over her ear and you'll see tape. In the picture to the right, the hair appears to be thin and you can see at least one and maybe multiple pieces of tape. 

Aren't extensions usually attached to hair, like braided in or something, not taped?

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, aliya said:

Look closely - you can see the tape. In the first picture, go straight up over her ear and you'll see tape. In the picture to the right, the hair appears to be thin and you can see at least one and maybe multiple pieces of tape. 

Aren't extensions usually attached to hair, like braided in or something, not taped?

OK, got it, thanks! I enlarged each photo & could clearly see the tape following your directions. BTW, I also wonder about tape v. weaving. I suppose the latter would be more expensive, but wouldn't it be less obvious?

6 minutes ago, Pachengala said:

If it ever comes up I will deny I ever took the time and energy to do this, but @Dot I just love ya that much! 

IMG_3163.PNG

Well, bless your heart! ?

What's that stuff in her ear?

Edited by Dot
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, Dot said:

What's that stuff in her ear?

Earrings. She has her ears pierced in several places, not just the lobes.

ETA: You can see a picture of this type of piercings and earrings here and here.

Edited by Complexity
  • Love 1

Question:

Whit is all about no body shame and loving the body you have and acceptance, I mean that's her entire thing. She has thinning hair, that's the truth, that's her body, why can't she accept that? Lots of women have thinning hair and don't wear wigs or have hair added. My boyfriend has very thin hair and he wears hats about as often as I do with a thick head of hair, I would never ask him to wear a toupee or a hat or even try Rogaine or Propecia. He's not ashamed of his thinning hair.

So why can't Whit just accept her hair? Women with thin hair isn't any less socially acceptable than morbidly obese women. She claims her weight is just as out of her control as her thinning hair. She says she isn't worried about what other people think of her body or her personal appearance. So why tape in hair? Is it because you are actually embarrassed by your body but the fix to the hair is quick and easy and someone else does it for you? Where is the no body shaming for all the women that have naturally thinning hair but can't afford to have hair tapped in all the time? You aren't going to stand up for their bodies and lead by example?

• Love 4
56 minutes ago, Complexity said:

Earrings. She has her ears pierced in several places, not just the lobes.

ETA: You can see a picture of this type of piercings and earrings here and here.

Thanks, m'dear. I'm 78-years-old; my train to Modernityville left the station 50+ years ago. I need all the help I can get to figure this stuff out! BTW, I think those things inTwit's ear are really ugly, not to mention both her back tatoos.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, Cache said:

I understand her feeling self-conscious about the thinning hair, but she's not self-conscious about the tape showing?  

She can't fit in chairs or put on shoes but thinning hair is just too much to accept about her body?

• Love 4

I think it's possible that Whitney doesn't realize how obvious the tape is. I think she's pretty unaware about how she looks in general, possibly because she doesn't spend much time looking in a mirror in the morning since she often doesn't even take a shower. Maybe when she initially does her hair, she's able to hide the tape, but as her hair moves around during the day it starts to show. 

Ironically, the thinning hair and facial hair would probably get more people on board with nobodyshame than her obesity since those are things that are actually out of her control.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, John M said:

She can't fit in chairs or put on shoes but thinning hair is just too much to accept about her body?

I totally agree. Lots of times the things a person does to "look better" end up looking much, much worse. We all know the lady who piles on a grotesque amount of makeup to help her self-esteem, but it would be more attractive and easier to just have a lighter touch. Whitney is clearly extremely insecure and may be drawing more attention to her weight/size in an effort to distract from the thinning hair and the beard situation, perhaps she really has no idea how bad the taped-in extensions look. I would hope that if I looked that shitty that a friend would pull me aside and say "GIRRRRRRL." 

I dunno, I don't wear makeup really ever, and I have never "extended" anything (nails, hair, eyelashes, bra pads), so I suppose I don't understand the compulsion. My life's ambition is to be considered a "butterface," LOL.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Dot said:

Thanks, m'dear. I'm 78-years-old; my train to Modernityville left the station 50+ years ago. I need all the help I can get to figure this stuff out! BTW, I think those things inTwit's ear are really ugly, not to mention both her back tatoos.

I have two young adult daughters (24 and 27) so I've had no choice but to be modernized. LOL! I don't like them either. But, hey, to each his (or her) own. I remember when my mother freaked out when I wanted my ears pierced (the normal one hole in the ear lobes). Now I have each ear pierced two times! I'm so with it now! ?

• Love 5

Yeh, I guess I just don't get her. Then again, Whit & her life are partially (how much???) a creation of TLC, so it doesn't necessarily have to make sense.  We already know it's not a "reality"show.  

• Love 2
On 4/19/2017 at 11:23 AM, bichonblitz said:

Whitney's dad doesn't give her any slack and I love it. In one of the flashback segments....

Dad: So how much weight do you want to lose? 

Whit: About 100 lbs.

Dad: Pauses,  Is that enough?

He kills me every time. 

I'd love to see a sit down conversation about Whitney and her weight issues between Glenn and Dr. Now.

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, M.F. Luder said:

Ironically, the thinning hair and facial hair would probably get more people on board with nobodyshame than her obesity since those are things that are actually out of her control.

And, yet, washing her hair and bathing are completely within her control, yet she seems to have no shame there... even though she really should have shame in that area.

I'm not so sure having no shame is a good idea if it means not taking basic care of yourself.

Whitney is not a leader for the no body shame campaign; she is a detractor from it.

• Love 9

Don't ask me how, but I actually fell asleep during this episode, and haven't seen a replay.  She kissed her cat? And not just one of those sweet little kisses on top the head that I give my mini schnauzer every day?

• Love 2
1 minute ago, LocalGovt said:

Don't ask me how, but I actually fell asleep during this episode, and haven't seen a replay.  She kissed her cat? And not just one of those sweet little kisses on top the head that I give my mini schnauzer every day?

No, not a mini kiss. She basically made out with her cat. Be thankful you slept through it. It's not something easily removed from the brain once seen.

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, M.F. Luder said:

she doesn't spend much time looking in a mirror in the morning since she often doesn't even take a shower.

God, that just reminded me about something I listened to a while back about studying morbidly obese people, I think ones that had lost a lot of weight.

Many of them did not have mirrors in their houses or covered the ones the did have up. Same with personal photos. I don't know why that just came to me but morbidly obese people literally not wanting to look at themselves in the mirror is legitimately a thing apparently.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Dot said:

I need all the help I can get to figure this stuff out! BTW, I think those things inTwit's ear are really ugly, not to mention both her back tatoos.

I do too, and use urban dictionary a lot deciphering posts here and on Facebook
After I learned what catfishing was, I even watched the show a few times.  (I'd seen it listed but thought it was like Hillbilly Handfishin' on Animal Planet.)

• Love 3