Type keyword(s) to search

S24.E04: Week 4: Most Memorable Year

• Start Topic

34 minutes ago, escape said:

The real problem with this season they have cast too many ringers - people with dance experience like Heather and Normadi - or people with backgrounds that comes close to it like Simone and Nancy.

This show should be about someone like Rashad - who came into the competition with zero dance training - and who have surprised audiences.   And a big part of the competition is establishing an emotional connection with audiences.

I don't think the issue is too many ringers. Weirdly, once you have a ringer, having a few actually makes the competition interesting again. Any one of Heather, Normani, Simone or Nancy on their own would be too obvious a likely winner but with several great dancers stacked against each other we actually have a competition. I think many people are predicting that one of those very strong women will go earlier than their talent suggests because the competition is about more than just dance

Personality has been more important than dancing since the beginning on this show. I don't think the ringers are going to really hurt Rashad. I think its more likely the ringers are going to knock each other out. I'm actually curious to see how this season plays out because for the first time in a while we're coming up to the halfway point and I honestly don't know who is making the finals and who is winning. It's an exciting change.

• Love 1

Heather is almost too perfect. My boyfriend and I watch this together every week, and whenever she comes on, we both agree that she's amazing, but we're bored because it kind of just looks like two of the pros dancing. It's not exciting to watch a contestant's journey when they start out being able to keep up with their professional partner on all counts.

• Love 2

I LOVE that Nancy and Artem have been giving us beautifully-danced traditional, content-filled dances with very little extras. However, I wonder if the general audience will eventually get bored with that?

The show might think so, which is probably why their running order spots have mostly been in the first half. And while it's great to get 9's from Len, the other three judges, who will give high scores out like candy sometimes, obviously aren't excited enough to muster up a score above 8 for them.

Nancy really is a good mover, though. She moves so fluidly and quickly, I forget sometimes that she's 25 years older than Simone and Normani! 

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, vibeology said:

Personality has been more important than dancing since the beginning on this show. I don't think the ringers are going to really hurt Rashad. I think its more likely the ringers are going to knock each other out. I'm actually curious to see how this season plays out because for the first time in a while we're coming up to the halfway point and I honestly don't know who is making the finals and who is winning. It's an exciting change.

I keep saying this.  This is the first time since maybe S17 where the winner hasn't been etched in stone or completely obvious to me since day one.  I still am undecided. 

I think Rashad has a shot because he stands out from the female "ringers" and yet still holds his own, plus I feel like his personality is perfect for the middle America folks.  The flip side of that is being a free agent, he doesn't have fans with a strong team loyalty behind him the way a David does.

Simone may have been a lock in an immediate post Olympics glow and pre-Laurie, but gymnast fatigue and a whole bunch of other things. 

I know a lot of people think Normani's 5th Harmony fans are unbeatable and that she will definitely win, and I think she COULD win, but I don't think that's a guarantee.  Nobody wins without winning over the core DWTS fanbase to some degree and I don't know if Normani has shown enough of herself as yet, plus are most itching to give Val another trophy?  It doesn't matter how many hundreds of accounts her fans make if the core audience doesn't vote for her.

Then you've got Heather who to me still reads as the surprise boot of the season.  She's got the over the top ringer backlash on top of the fact that her personality doesn't really pop (compared to say her co-star Amber Riley).

Nancy is great, but I'd be surprised if she won.  Who else?  David has a huge fanbase and I expect him to outstay some of the above, for better or worse.  David's dance was show at Wrigley Field last night, with the delay, and then they put up his voting number.  David is not going anywhere for awhile.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, realdancemom said:

I've been underwhelmed by Heather too.  I expected her to be better.  When I watch her dance, I can see why she wasn't picked on SYTYCD.  She doesn't have star quality when she performs like Normani.  She does dance a little manic and small even though she's technically proficient.  I do like her with Alan though.  His choreography was corny this week.  However, their last two dances had plenty of proper content.  I could tell what they were supposed to dance.   I liked how Maks told TPTB to promote Alan as a pro next season.

Ima go to bat for Heather. YMMV as to whether she does "it" for some folks as a dancer. She personally does "it" for me. SYTYCD (I don't know if you watched the franchise) in that time, had to pick 10 guys and 10 girls, the next 10 girls could have been better than the chosen 10 guys, but numbers and styles had to be taken into consideration, as well.  Did you know the winner of the season she auditioned for wasn't even in the top 20 originally? He was added when one of the contestants cast visa didn't clear. They were known to hold back incredible talent for one season and bump that dancer to another, to fill out  the next season with incredible dancers. Her not making it to the top 20 that year has not as much to do with "Star power" and more to do with the the aforementioned situation. There were dancers that were cut previous seasons that ended up as finalists on the next. She got the last laugh. I realize some don't know her,but many in the gen x , millenial generation, and dance community do. Dancers go from Job to Job and she landed some of the biggest. She then landed Glee. She was clearly more successful than any other dancer cast that season except Allison Holker (possibly more succesful than her considering Glee) and Travis Wall. 

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Venee said:

Ima go to bat for Heather. YMMV as to whether she does "it" for some folks as a dancer. She personally does "it" for me. SYTYCD (I don't know if you watched the franchise) in that time, had to pick 10 guys and 10 girls, the next 10 girls could have been better than the chosen 10 guys, but numbers and styles had to be taken into consideration, as well.  Did you know the winner of the season she auditioned for wasn't even in the top 20 originally? He was added when one of the contestants cast visa didn't clear. They were known to hold back incredible talent for one season and bump that dancer to another, to fill out  the next season with incredible dancers. Her not making it to the top 20 that year has not as much to do with "Star power" and more to do with the the aforementioned situation. There were dancers that were cut previous seasons that ended up as finalists on the next. She got the last laugh. I realize some don't know her,but many in the gen x , millenial generation, and dance community do. Dancers go from Job to Job and she landed some of the biggest. She then landed Glee. She was clearly more successful than any other dancer cast that season except Allison Holker (possibly more succesful than her considering Glee) and Travis Wall. 

I've watched SYTYCD since Season 1.  I do know how it works.  I also know that it also matters who you know in order to be cast.  I probably shouldn't have used it in my post.  Since dance is subjective, I'll just say that she doesn't do it for me but she does for you.  Just like DWTS, the winner of SYTYCD is based on personality as well as dance ability.

Edited by realdancemom
  • Love 2
46 minutes ago, Packerbrewerbadger said:

If you want male hip action go to you tube and watch Cheryl and Emmitt Smith's Halloween rumba to Spooky the year he won. Best male rumba ever!! IMO

Oh the good old days. No troupe, back up dancers, gimmicks, props, standing around for two full 8 counts fussing about or pouring drink, involving family members. You just came out and performed a dance full of content and proper technique.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, MakeMeLaugh said:

Poor little Nick and the heartbreak of sleeping with several women on a reality show before finding a woman who agreed to stay with him, so that's memorable, I guess;

Oh, MakeMeLaugh...why did you have to remind me...now you Make-aMeCry!

• Love 2

Normani's mother quit her job so Normani could pursue her dream of becoming a singer. Wow - when I was kid, many eons ago, if I had told my parents I wanted to be a singer or a movie star, I can guarantee they would not have quit their jobs and relocated to Los Angeles so I could pursue my dreams. And yet I have heard various iterations of this same story for at least half a dozen child stars and pop singers that have appeared on this show. I cannot fathom that kind of indulgence no matter how talented you believe your child to be. 

Meh on the sobbing and propping. Maybe I'm a cold hearted Grinch but none of these sob stories moved me (it probably didn't help that I've had a crummy week) and the 10s for Rashad and the 8s for David made me want to puke.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, calipiano81 said:

I LOVE that Nancy and Artem have been giving us beautifully-danced traditional, content-filled dances with very little extras. However, I wonder if the general audience will eventually get bored with that?

The show might think so, which is probably why their running order spots have mostly been in the first half. And while it's great to get 9's from Len, the other three judges, who will give high scores out like candy sometimes, obviously aren't excited enough to muster up a score above 8 for them.

Nancy really is a good mover, though. She moves so fluidly and quickly, I forget sometimes that she's 25 years older than Simone and Normani! 

Artem's no nonsense choreography might be a light culprit in that too... If he had a complicated stage design for his numbers with confetti, and water, and fire, and bunnies, the show crew would have needed some time to clean up, and might have moved them to the last spot lol

But when I saw Nancy going in the beginning AGAIN, I was furious. she would have totaled a full 10 points more (cumulatively) by now had she gone some time towards the end...

• Love 6

Most memorable year week is usually my least favorite week of the season because of all the DRAMA and sob stories which often feel manufactured to me. I am usually pretty icy about it but several dances/stories last night actually got me choked up! Nancy, Mr. T and Rashad really had me teary. Color me surprised.

I wouldn't say that most memorable year week is my least favorite, but I feel the same way. I think in the early days I didn't mind this week so much. I would roll my eyes at the obvious tear jerkiness of the whole effort, but be moved by some of the stories. But in recent years, it's mostly just annoyed me. I can't ever remember really crying watching any of the stories (though I cam close with James last year) but this year I really did tear up watching Nancy's and Mr. T's stories and with Rashad's - forget it - I was a mess. I think it was just a mix of his dad crying and trying to speak in the package and the dance where the emotion really came out so well and then the hug with more tears, and his dad's smile at the end - and I was just done for.

I find I can have a lot of empathy watching this stuff, but still be very catty - sometimes at the same time. Like, while I did tear up at Mr. T's story when I watched him dance I thought, 'his story is very sad, but unfortunately so is his dancing.' It was a nice effort from him, but based on dancing alone, he was the right person who left. His comments at the end were very sweet and it was a graceful exit.

Nancy has definitely become my favorite this season. I am predisposed to liking her because a lot of those moments in the past that rubbed people the wrong way - the snark after losing the gold at the Olympics, the Disneyland "corny" comment - really endeared her to me. But I was a little worried about the ice queen reputation and during her first week I thought she'd probably have some good performances, but would become forgettable and leave in the middle of the pack, but like the judges said she is just showing remarkable improvement. Each week she just looks much more confident on stage and her partnership with Artem is a joy to watch. Not only did I watch their dance twice, but while watching it, I thought 'fuck you, audience, if she doesn't make it to the finals.' I honestly have no idea how she's playing with the DWTS audience. I'm okay at guessing how people are ultimately going to do. Sometimes it's far easier (like last year I knew from week 2 Calvin, James, and Laurie would be the last three standing) and sometimes it's not. She could still leave in the middle (since I think there are people who hold a grudge for those moments I mentioned earlier) or, it's probably a very slim chance, she could win it all. I just know that I'm definitely going to start voting for them and I usually wait on that to the final weeks, if I vote at all.

While I was fine with Mr. T being eliminated, I would have been perfectly okay if it had been Erika instead. I'm really hoping it's her leaving next week. She's not necessarily a bad dancer, but she's just not memorable IMO. I thought her scores were too high. Should have been straight 7s at the most.

David makes me smile, but I hope he doesn't outlast far better dancers. His scores were probably too high, especially given the judges' comments.

They are clearly trying to make Bonner happen. I'm shocked he was the last dancer and not Simone. He was better this week, but I don't see him vastly improving.

There might not have been a lot of rumba in their rumba (which is probably why I liked it since I generally don't like rumba) but I thought Normani got lowballed performing first. I don't think she would have gotten those scores otherwise. I wish they would just judge the dance accordingly, whether it's the first up or not.

My order of preference for leaving next would be - Erika, Bonner, Nick, David, Simone, and Heather.

Edited by FilmTVGeek80
  • Love 1

Some memorable highlights for me: 

This is the first time I've ever seen someone turn the Viennese Waltz into a quickstep.  David is a tremendously likeable man, but I have no words for whatever it was that he was doing.

Rashad, like others have already said, made me cry like a baby, and I don't cry during the shamelessly manipulative Most Memorable Year shows.  I don't even care about any technical issues with his performance; contemporary is my least favorite style on DWTS and I usually ignore it anyway.  The 10s were OTT, but I'm not sure I could have helped but hold up that same paddle were I a judge.

Erika, you miraculously succeeded in making me miss Charo.  Erika and Gleb have exceeded my tolerance for faux sexiness in a couple, neither of whom are the least bit sexy.  I had the same issue with Gleb and Jana.  He simply creeps me out, but at least Jana could dance.  Please, America, do the right thing and get Erika and Gleb off my TeeVee next week.  I'm begging you!

Nick danced as well as he did in the first week, which is to say not that well, but the 2 weeks in between were awful.  In either case, the concept of that routine was ridiculous to me and I hated it.

Bonner succeeded in winning a little bit of good will with his back story.  But he can't dance (regardless of his physical limitations) and conveys all the emotion of a potted plant.  At least the show seems to have let go of the "ZOMG! Sharna and Bonner!  Most sexiest couple that ever sexied!"  It was so transparently untrue, it was laughable. 

Heather is so forgettable to me.  No matter how well she dances, and she danced very well last night, I have trouble remembering her performances.  I have a similar problem remembering Simone's performances, though I didn't think Simone did as well last night as in previous weeks.  For me, she's not showing much of an improvement arc...

Unlike Nancy, who is, in my eyes, most improved each week.  I can still see something "off" with her spins and with her spotting, both of which were evident in week 1, and which CAI commented on at the time.  But, her spins were way better last night than in week 1, and her spotting issue wasn't nearly as noticeable.  It was a lovely routine, and she seems so authentic and pleasant. 

Mr T - you're a classy gentleman, I believe.  I sincerely hope you got what you wanted from being on the show.  You knew it was your time to go, and you accepted it with grace.

ETA: Can't believe I forgot about Normani, who is still my pick to win this thing!  I was quite disappointed in that routine last night.  It seemed like pandering to her fanbase, and I agree with whoever said upthread that Val is relying on her natural musicality and ability to move like nobody's business.  It was a lazy routine and that pissed me off.  Now that she's not touring, she and Val need to turn in a spectacular, complex routine next week to redeem her in my eyes. 

Edited by SnarkyTart
ETA I forgot about Normani!
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

They are clearly trying to make Bonner happen. I'm shocked he was the last dancer and not Simone. He was better this week, but I don't see him vastly improving.

I can already tell that Bonner is likely to be the contestant I spend several weeks wishing elimination on while other better dancers go home. I am ready for Erika, Bonner and Nick to be eliminated in no particular order and then the rest of thrm can fight it out but I fear Bonner will be the beneficiary of some producer shenanigans that help him outlast Nancy. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Normani's mother quit her job so Normani could pursue her dream of becoming a singer. Wow - when I was kid, many eons ago, if I had told my parents I wanted to be a singer or a movie star, I can guarantee they would not have quit their jobs and relocated to Los Angeles so I could pursue my dreams. And yet I have heard various iterations of this same story for at least half a dozen child stars and pop singers that have appeared on this show. I cannot fathom that kind of indulgence no matter how talented you believe your child to be. 

Meh on the sobbing and propping. Maybe I'm a cold hearted Grinch but none of these sob stories moved me (it probably didn't help that I've had a crummy week) and the 10s for Rashad and the 8s for David made me want to puke.

This is my least favorite week because it is so manufactured and mark me down for having a black heart because I didn't feel any of the stories. I did enjoy a few of the dances though. The obvious propping could be clouding my view. Every season the show picks a few contestants to run with and I always end up not backing those people because of it.

3 hours ago, Boofish said:

Oh the good old days. No troupe, back up dancers, gimmicks, props, standing around for two full 8 counts fussing about or pouring drink, involving family members. You just came out and performed a dance full of content and proper technique.

I agree 100%!!!  The amazing thing about Emmitt's superb rumba was that it was Halloween and the only " gimmicks was the song- Spooky, which was perfect for the rumba. The show now is unrecognizable to the early seasons and that makes me sad. 

And don't get me going on contemporary, jazz, etc. .....

• Love 3
2 hours ago, vavera4ka said:

Artem's no nonsense choreography might be a light culprit in that too... If he had a complicated stage design for his numbers with confetti, and water, and fire, and bunnies, the show crew would have needed some time to clean up, and might have moved them to the last spot lol

I hadn't thought about that...seriously, that might actually be a good strategy. LOL

Erika has gone in the second half 3 out of 4 weeks. If the show just switched her and Nancy's spots each time, I agree that each of Nancy's dances could have gotten 2-3 points higher.

• Love 1

My Top gal is Nancy and top guy is still Rashad.  I love watching improvement week over week.  Nancy just continues to get better and better,  Rashad surprised the heck out of me with that Contemporary.  If they were at the end I wouldn't be mad at it.   Nancy has significant competition from the young un's. so it's difficult to see her clear to a win since the show isn't invested in Team Blades of Glory like Will Farrell. heh.  

heh. 

• Love 2

The obvious propping could be clouding my view. Every season the show picks a few contestants to run with and I always end up not backing those people because of it.

Exactly - that's my issue with David Ross. Clearly he's a nice guy and his enthusiasm is infectious. But the show is making me dislike him because even after the judges call him out of being too "skippy and hoppy" they pull out the eight paddles and give him the same score they gave Nick! No way. He, himself, hasn't done anything to make me dislike him but the show has. I don't like that he's there.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Exactly - that's my issue with David Ross. Clearly he's a nice guy and his enthusiasm is infectious. But the show is making me dislike him because even after the judges call him out of being too "skippy and hoppy" they pull out the eight paddles and give him the same score they gave Nick! No way. He, himself, hasn't done anything to make me dislike him but the show has. I don't like that he's there.

It's typical of this show to overscore the nice guy non-dancer with the ginormous fanbase  for insurance that the cubbies fans will keep watching.  It's shameful the whoring of the audience share for ratings.  We've seen this movie before, and it takes David to 3rd place.  It would be lovely for once, they don't follow script and allow genuine scores to be part of the mix, instead of inflated ones. 

Edited by RedFiat
  • Love 3

For me, David is like James Hinchcliffe from last year but without the dancing talent. They are clearly trying to capitalize on the Cubs because they will never have a baseball player fresh off a world series win again. Can't say I blame them but he needs to improve for it to be believable. 

• Love 2

I know this won't be popular but I'm not buying Maks' declaration that Alan should be a pro came from the goodness of his heart. Maks doesn't do anything for anyone not named Val Chmerkovskiy without some ulterior motive or there being something in it for him. Maybe he thinks bringing in a new male pro keeps pros like Derek and Mark away, thus making it easier for him to stand out. Because contrary to popular opinion, I think Maks is here to stay. We've already seen he can't get any other meaningful work (at least not without an assist from Karina or Val) which pretty much makes him dependent on DWTS to keep his name in the tabloids, which seems to have become his main career path.

You know what else I miss from the old days? When each couple had their own fan base that pulled for them as long as they were in the competition. I am so sick and tired of this fam mentality of "Well, I'm a Val fan so that means I have to like and root for Maks and Peta and Sharna because they're fam." Sure there was crossover before -- Maks' fans liked Tony and vice versa, Mark's fans liked Derek and vice versa -- but it didn't overtake the fan bases. Personally, I wish Peta and Sharna would worry more about their own partners and less about giving Maks health updates to the press. Let Heather and Maks worry about updating everyone about Maks. And I can really do without Maks giving pep talks to Normani or Nick every week. Let their own partners do that. If I was Heather, I'd be pissed that his full attention isn't on me and that he's pumping up the people I'm competing against. 

Like I said, not a popular opinion but I'm just getting so tired of the direction this show has gone.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

I know this won't be popular but I'm not buying Maks' declaration that Alan should be a pro came from the goodness of his heart. Maks doesn't do anything for anyone not named Val Chmerkovskiy without some ulterior motive or there being something in it for him. Maybe he thinks bringing in a new male pro keeps pros like Derek and Mark away, thus making it easier for him to stand out. Because contrary to popular opinion, I think Maks is here to stay. We've already seen he can't get any other meaningful work (at least not without an assist from Karina or Val) which pretty much makes him dependent on DWTS to keep his name in the tabloids, which seems to have become his main career path.

You know what else I miss from the old days? When each couple had their own fan base that pulled for them as long as they were in the competition. I am so sick and tired of this fam mentality of "Well, I'm a Val fan so that means I have to like and root for Maks and Peta and Sharna because they're fam." Sure there was crossover before -- Maks' fans liked Tony and vice versa, Mark's fans liked Derek and vice versa -- but it didn't overtake the fan bases. Personally, I wish Peta and Sharna would worry more about their own partners and less about giving Maks health updates to the press. Let Heather and Maks worry about updating everyone about Maks. And I can really do without Maks giving pep talks to Normani or Nick every week. Let their own partners do that. If I was Heather, I'd be pissed that his full attention isn't on me and that he's pumping up the people I'm competing against. 

Like I said, not a popular opinion but I'm just getting so tired of the direction this show has gone.

This has been a standout to me. Alan has choreographed the last two dances and it appears Maks hasn't been in rehearsals. When Sharna was injured she still choreographed and was there teaching James and instructing Jenna on her vision. I get the feeling that Heather doesn't really care though and is good with Alan.

20 hours ago, UncleChuck said:

I believe that the producers have designated CAI to police the lifts, whether she really wants to or not.  As another poster noted, without some policing, some pros would turn DWTS into Liftapalloza, but many of the traditional dances do not allow lifts, so the show must make some attempt to follow established rules about certain styles.

It would be too punitive, however, if ALL four judges were deducting points for a lift.  Losing one point is not really a huge deal when factored into the total with viewer votes, etc., but four points could really hurt.  So TPTB have just made CAI the  "lift police" to insure that the lift rules are followed but the other three judges can ignore them.  So a lift, even an accidental one, is a one point loss and not four.

I would feel sorry for a team losing a point for an accidental lift, when a foot just comes off the floor, but the pros should have enough control to prevent that.  Any "pro" who has years of experience should be able to spin his partner at a proper speed and angle to prevent such "accidents".

As CAI noted tonight, sometimes the pros ignore the lift rule to enhance their choreography, as they know that an audience-pleasing dance will generate enough extra votes to make CAI's one point drop a risk worth taking.  Because she also is well aware that many lifts are intentional parts of the choreography, she does seem to enjoy holding the pro's feet to the fire on this point.

I always thought that Derrick would deliberately put in lifts so that his front runner would not always be at the top of the leaderboard. Everybody had to pretend that this was some surprise in reducing the scores because of the lift. I agree with what someone said above that CarrieAnn Annaba was assigned this task so that they would be more of a narrative in the criticisms or judging of the dances. If you notice they rarely talk about technical aspects of the dances because they no longer require the dance to be technically correct.  I believe Val put in the lift because Normani doesn't need to be seen as the front runner. But I do believe she is. She's a great dancer like quite a few of them. But tonight Rashad was my best dancer and not because of his narrative, imho.

Edited by Kira53
Spelling.
22 hours ago, Uke said:

The week I dislike the most...tear-jerker week.

Nancy:  It's rare any of these dances ever give me chills, but this did. Six miscarriages in eight years then 2 successful invitros.  She doesn't give up, for sure! Noticed even Erin's voice cracked talking about how they discussed this earlier. I just wanted the whole dance to go airborne or run up Rocky's steps or or... something!  (Well, there was a pretty obvious lift no one mentioned.)  Fair scores but I wouldn't have minded one more 9.  Interesting that Len, who usually goes down a point, went up a point for this.  So, all those mocking her for crying whyyy.... ah, well I leave it there.

Erika: Her most memorable year was moving to NYC to become a star? Really? Ok.  Is this a music video or a cha cha? Some outfit! Channeling Cher maybe?  Agreed with Len, as stumbling as his comments were. Stop with all the sexy posing and just DO THE ASSIGNED DANCE! Scores waaay too high. Should have been 6s and maybe one 7. 

Aww, disagree with the elimination. Would have preferred to keep Mr. T for one more week and lose Erika.

I don't mind this week because while there is obvious emotional pandering, the contestants always seem to be really invested in the dances. 

Erin specifically mentioned Nancy's use of the words "failure" and "shame" and I got the feeling that they bonded over that, not the miscarriages per se (as I don't think Erin has been pregnant). I think that in Erin's life, the invasive video that was taken of her and all the subsequent publicity of that brought her shame (she testified as much in court) and I think she and Nancy could relate on that level. Sorry for the therapist-speak, but it can really be healing to talk with someone who has had similar emotions (even if the situation was different) and triumphed over it. Amazing for Erin & Nancy to be vulnerable together. 

Erika is a snooze-fest. Notice how everyone else's "year" was about other people - Normani (bandmates), David (teammates & his kids), Nancy (kids), Rashad (dad), Simone (parents)...etc. Then Erika comes along and it's all about ME! ME! ME! She doesn't have 1/100th as much talent as she thinks she does. Gleb completely miscalculated on that dance (theme, costume, choreography were all awful) and I think (hope) she'll be the next to go. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Boofish said:

Len, is that you? ;)

I agree - I watched the first few seasons of this show and then stopped watching for several. I started again last year solely because of Calvin Johnson, and couldn't even believe the difference! 

Edited by srpturtle80
  • Love 2

Oh, Val's rumba - such a disappointment after his classic, classy rumba with Rumer (the first perfect score of that season IIRC)! I know he can choreograph a rumba with more content. And Normani is a great performer, so she could easily handle it. There was no reason to do a sharp, aggressive rumba. That was weird.

Also, music groups that name themselves after numbers need to audition new members if they lose someone!! 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, shoregirl said:

Simone hugged her parents. They adopted her, she calls them mom and dad, they are her parents. To call them anything else is disrespectful. Not to mention dismissive of adoptive parents. Are they less of parents because they aren't her biological parents?

Do you remember the ruckus about her being adopted at the last Olympics? Al Trautwig referred to Ron and Nellie Biles as Simone's grandparents, and when he was told they were her adoptive parents he said (looking up quote) "They may be mom and dad but they are NOT her parents.” Big fuss ensues, the internet explodes, lots of people and organizations wanted NBC to fire him on the spot. NBC didn't even make him apologize, and he never did. He did the usual 'I wasn't clear in what I said' thing. Meanwhile, showing some class when she was asked about what he said, Simone said (looking up quote) "My parents are my parents and that’s it.”

Edited by JeanneH
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Beatrice said:

This has been a standout to me. Alan has choreographed the last two dances and it appears Maks hasn't been in rehearsals. When Sharna was injured she still choreographed and was there teaching James and instructing Jenna on her vision. I get the feeling that Heather doesn't really care though and is good with Alan.

I agree on this. Once upon a time I was a big Maks fan. The bloom has been off that rose for me for a while but I do still enjoy watching him dance because I think he has a captivating dance presence. I am no fan of Heather's this season but I think he has done her a huge disservice.

Alan has essentially taken over for the past 2 weeks which makes this different from past seasons when the pro was injured for a week or two but jumped back in later. Both Sharna and Derek still came up with the concept and created the choreography when they were unable to dance due to injury. Maks got on a plane to Ohio, stayed there for a week for treatment, skyped in once so the cameras could catch it and then showed up for show night. Then the following week despite apparently being back in LA he still let Alan do everything. Then he flew off to Florida midweek to speak at some medical conference about treatment he previously received from his Ohio based doctor. It's a very blasé attitude about the whole thing and if I were Heather I'd b asking the producers to let me keep Alan for the rest of the season since he actually seems invested. 

I had heard somewhere that Maks had indicated he'd be back dancing this week but he seemed pretty noncommittal in that post dance interview with Erin last night. If he misses another week the show should step in and just say it is Alan the rest of the way. 

Edited by TeeMo
  • Love 1

Alam definitely didn't choreograph that cha cha. When you watch DWTS for an extended period of time you get to know the pros and the signature moves and styles they incorporate into their routine. That cha cha had Maks' choreography written all over it.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, JeanneH said:

Do you remember the ruckus about her being adopted at the last Olympics? Al Trautwig referred to Ron and Nellie Biles as Simone's grandparents, and when he was told they were her adoptive parents he said (looking up quote) "They may be mom and dad but they are NOT her parents.” Big fuss ensues, the internet explodes, lots of people and organizations wanted NBC to fire him on the spot. NBC didn't even make him apologize, and he never did. He did the usual 'I wasn't clear in what I said' thing. Meanwhile, showing some class when she was asked about what he said, Simone said (looking up quote) "My parents are my parents and that’s it.”

I remember that. I think that's one of the reasons when the article said grandparent and not parent it stood out to me .

10 minutes ago, TeeMo said:

I agree on this. Once upon a time I was a big Maks fan. The bloom has been off that rose for me for a while but I do still enjoy watching him dance because I think he has a captivating dance presence. I am no fan of Heather's this season but I think he has done her a huge disservice.

Alan has essentially taken over for the past 2 weeks which makes this different from past seasons when the pro was injured for a week or two but jumped back in later. Both Sharna and Derek still came up with the concept and created the choreography when they were unable to dance due to injury. Maks got on a plane to Ohio, stayed there for a week for treatment, skyped in once so the cameras could catch it and then showed up for show night. Then the following week despite apparently being back in LA he still let Alan do everything. Then he flew off to Florida midweek to speak at some medical conference about treatment he previously received from his Ohio based doctor. It's a very blasé attitude about the whole thing and if I were Heather I'd b asking the producers to let me keep Alan for the rest of the season since he actually seems invested. 

I had heard somewhere that Maks had indicated he'd be back dancing this week but he seemed pretty noncommittal in that post dance interview with Erin last night. If he misses another week the show should step in and just say it is Alan the rest of the way. 

Yes to both of you regarding his lack of involvement since his injury. I remember the days when Maks was totally dedicated to his partner - more so when he liked them but even when he didn't care for them as much, he wasn't off giving pep talks to other teams! Although I admit, I would have paid money to see him give Kate Gosselin a pep talk. LOL

I also think he did a huge disservice to Amber last season. She wasn't a great dancer, but he knew she wasn't going to win and he checked out on her pretty early. If you watched All Access last season, he spent more time in the backstage area with Erin and the producers than he did in the sky box with his partner. I wasn't a huge fan of Amber, but I'd feel bad for her when the other couples were up there practicing their routines and she was just standing at the railing alone while he was back there having a gay old time with his former partner. 

15 minutes ago, Emily-D said:

Alam definitely didn't choreograph that cha cha. When you watch DWTS for an extended period of time you get to know the pros and the signature moves and styles they incorporate into their routine. That cha cha had Maks' choreography written all over it.

If Maks had choreographed it, it would have included his partner pushing him and/or him pretending to fall down. LOL

• Love 1

Re David's Viennese Waltz:  When are the idiots who picked this song as a possible choice going to realize that you can't do a Viennese Waltz to music that's written in 4/4 time?   No wonder the recapper thought he looked as though he was rushing through it -- the music didn't fit the beat of the dance at all.  Viennese Waltz can only be done to songs that are written in 6/8 or 12/8 time!

And the song choice for Nick's Rumba was just as bad, even though it was at least in the right time signature.  It was way too hard, fast, and sharp for a dance that is supposed to be slow, romantic, and fluid.  I hated it.

Edited by legaleagle53
22 minutes ago, Emily-D said:

Pretty sure Alan choreographed the cha cha as well as the tango. I saw it in an after show interview. I do think it's interesting Julianne both times has complimented Alan's choreography. Tons of content in both dances.

28 minutes ago, Emily-D said:

You think? Granted, I really am still new to the show as a whole so I'm not aware of a whole lot of the behind the scenes stuff, but wouldn't they have had Maks in the rehearsal portion of Heather's segment if he had choreographed? Even though this was her memorable week, wouldn't they have made a big deal about him being there or him giving the choreography to Alan?

Also, seeing as Maks praised Alan and explained that he should be a pro, even if he was fed those lines, it does seem to imply that Alan's done the choreography the last two weeks while Maks has clearly not been there. 

• Love 4

Thoughts on contestants for week 4 (in alphabetical order):

Heather and Maks/Alan - thought there was a burst of energy that made its way on the floor as soon as she came at the top. Liked how she straightened her leg (& moved them quick/put her weight on it) such that it gave a crisp, stacatto look/feel. Stopping on point with the music when rolling off the arm, smooth ronde action on stage, opening out in hold (thought she looked comfortable enough to share a moment with Alan) with sharp free arm placement – it was good to see a fun, lively cha cha routine. Thought it was also nice to see the speed of the turns and how she kept up with Alan as well. Though she struggled a bit with the jive, thought she looked at home with the cha cha and delivered an entertaining routine.

Nancy and Artem - the new day peeking through the sleepy tree, a beautiful Folgers vignette unfolding amidst the early morning fog – thought the opening set a real, organic tone for an inviting foxtrot. Liked how the armography at the top wrapped around the lyrics and how she lightly skipped to add a charming, witty feel to the routine. Thought her free arm extension was a slight improvement from her week 1 Viennese Waltz and that her overall movements are becoming more believable every week. Though it would've been nice to enjoy the throwaway oversway moment a bit more, think if she improves on a consistent frame in hold (slightly buckles) she'll add to her longevity even more. Nonetheless, a picturesque sunset ending to the routine and thought there was something special lingering in the air afterwards.

Normani and Val - its nice to see how her movements translates well onto the screen; there seems to be a rich flavor that emanates from her body. Though doing a nice job of reining in the nerves with the mic at the top, and comfortable in hold throughout, thought she felt equally comfortable moving solo as she felt the “scars” on her body. It was nice to see that she lowered her center a bit such that her motion was in more control and sharper. The circular hip swivels in hold was a treat to see and how a promising hint of a settling hip action was slightly evident in her back walk; think she has the body and proper feel to create an even more sensuous, romantic rumba routine. Nonetheless, thought there was a nice tension/physicality in her body and a continuous, non-hesitating movement in her week 4 dance.

Rashad & Emma - it was nice to see the cradling moment at the top melt into a fragile, precarious situation, piquing one's curiosity and interest; the loss, pain and confusion seemed apparent as he picked up Emma afterwards. It was also nice to see how Rashad made a lift comfortable for Emma, such that she was able to reverberate the words from Rashad's body, out through the tip of her right toes and towards the studio corner. While carrying/lifting Emma from the judges table towards his father at the end, thought there were wisps/traces of pain that came out, culminating in his embrace. It was interesting to know the backdrop of Rashad and how nice it is to get an even more complete picture of him as a person.

Simone & Sasha - it was nice to see how time froze as her free arm came alive for the first time, reaching out to look/search for that whisper of “love” out in the air; thought there was a sense of yearning in that moment, an almost innate desperate search. Liked the part out of hold (midway near the stage), as it seemed like it was the first time she was let go and allowed to dance on her own (for a brief moment in time); there was a sense of freedom to her movement and a self-realization moment. Also liked how she let her guard down and allowed herself to be vulnerable so that the audience can see past her exterior. Agree how this was her best dance so far and hope to see her continuing in this direction.

Best of luck to all the celebs and looking forward to their dances.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, tessaforever said:

Erin specifically mentioned Nancy's use of the words "failure" and "shame" and I got the feeling that they bonded over that, not the miscarriages per se (as I don't think Erin has been pregnant). I think that in Erin's life, the invasive video that was taken of her and all the subsequent publicity of that brought her shame (she testified as much in court) and I think she and Nancy could relate on that level. Sorry for the therapist-speak, but it can really be healing to talk with someone who has had similar emotions (even if the situation was different) and triumphed over it. Amazing for Erin & Nancy to be vulnerable together. 

Now that she's gotten a ring from her druggie boyfriend, I think Erin is trying to jump right into having kids. She does like to make things all about her, so after the cervical cancer thing I can see her "bonding" to Nancy's situation. I'm sorry if that sounds callous but it's one of the things that drives me absolutely batty about her.

Speaking of Erin, is it me or is she particularly awful this season? It usually takes her a week or two with the new contestants to feel comfortable but we're on week 4 and she's been excruciating to watch with attempts at humor that fall flat and just some really awkward things coming out of her mouth. I generally like her as the co-host but this season has been painful to watch her.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Toonces464 said:

Speaking of Erin, is it me or is she particularly awful this season? It usually takes her a week or two with the new contestants to feel comfortable but we're on week 4 and she's been excruciating to watch with attempts at humor that fall flat and just some really awkward things coming out of her mouth. I generally like her as the co-host but this season has been painful to watch her.

I've always felt like she's a mixed bag and this season is the same...occasionally a clever quip but otherwise just blather. Blather, rinse, repeat. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Packerbrewerbadger said:

I agree 100%!!!  The amazing thing about Emmitt's superb rumba was that it was Halloween and the only " gimmicks was the song- Spooky, which was perfect for the rumba. The show now is unrecognizable to the early seasons and that makes me sad. 

And don't get me going on contemporary, jazz, etc. .....

Contemporary is the worst thing that ever happened to this show. If I see one more female dancer in the arms of her partner riding that pretend bicycle while looking like she hopes no one realized she farted I'm going to stop watching. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Emily-D said:

I've seen alot of comment on twitter that Serge helped Alan out with the choreography last week (Tango).  This Serge is part of the "fam".  What do you think? 

The trouble I have is, I've never seen anything known to have been choreographed by Alan.  Yes, the pros do have recognizable signatures - I just haven't seen enough to recognize Alan's yet, if he's even developed a signature yet.

• Love 1

From everything I've seen in interviews etc., Maks and Alan choreographed the cha cha together. That this wasn't put in the package is the usual DWTS whatever thing, there's a storyline to push, there's only so much time, they want to focus on certain aspects and nothing else. Maks couldn't be present last week because he had treatment, he was present this week but couldn't dance. I know Maks has been around for thousands of years and can be annoying, but I don't think any of this is his fault and he's been as involved as he's capable of considering the injury. He's also been going out of his way to praise Alan in interviews and on social media, though he must know that loads of people want him shot and Alan put in instead. He's been supportive and gracious in public and trying his best to advertise for Heather. Whatever he may think of the whole thing in private, IMO he's been doing absolutely everything he can in his current situation.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

Yes to both of you regarding his lack of involvement since his injury. I remember the days when Maks was totally dedicated to his partner - more so when he liked them but even when he didn't care for them as much, he wasn't off giving pep talks to other teams! Although I admit, I would have paid money to see him give Kate Gosselin a pep talk. LOL

I also think he did a huge disservice to Amber last season. She wasn't a great dancer, but he knew she wasn't going to win and he checked out on her pretty early. If you watched All Access last season, he spent more time in the backstage area with Erin and the producers than he did in the sky box with his partner. I wasn't a huge fan of Amber, but I'd feel bad for her when the other couples were up there practicing their routines and she was just standing at the railing alone while he was back there having a gay old time with his former partner. 

If Maks had choreographed it, it would have included his partner pushing him and/or him pretending to fall down. LOL

My take on Maks' lack of involvement is he's just not invested in teaching dance, because he's been burned so many times in the past, (at least he thinks so), and contractually he probably can't be as vocal about the scoring anymore since he finally won. Now they give him a huge ringer who may go early because she is a huge ringer up against the Chicago Cubs.  He is really over the show but stays on because the producers want him, I guess to be the Ying to Peta's Yang, and to do more comedic "I'm telling Mom" interactions with Val. I think he's fine with the pressure being off, since it's a different kind of pressure when you have a ringer - the performance level has to be a few rungs higher than just "Wow, I didn't know you had rhythm" type of comments a guy like David gets.  He didn't get an early out this time, like Kym got, it's going to be longer and more intense for his partner. He sees the writing on the wall for someone like Heather, we've seen it played out many seasons. If he thought he had a contender who can really get the mirrorball, he'd be more like Sharna from last season. So now,  If he can be in the red room as the cheerleader for the contestants, he seems chill with that, and he's fine with Alan doing the tough choreography. Maks appears to want something else from the show,  a co-hosting or judging spot seems to be his goal. 

ETA: I read on another site that if Heather makes it past week 7 then Maks will pat Alan on the back and say "thanks bud, I'll take over" which is kind of cynical, but maybe not out of the realm of possibility.     

Edited by RedFiat
12 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I don't know how many perfectly nice people the show made me dislike (Bindi, Melissa R, Ginger), but it's been too many to count. I feel like I can like whomever I want without the show telling me who to like.  It's pretty obvious David is getting into the finals with the over-the-top pimping, and unfortunately someone like Nancy is probably going to pay.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, TeeMo said:

I can already tell that Bonner is likely to be the contestant I spend several weeks wishing elimination on while other better dancers go home. I am ready for Erika, Bonner and Nick to be eliminated in no particular order and then the rest of thrm can fight it out but I fear Bonner will be the beneficiary of some producer shenanigans that help him outlast Nancy. 

I agree. They are going to milk his showmance and his injury so he will outlast Heather and Nancy. I don't care to see a final with David and Bonner, which is what they seem to be aiming for. I would rather see people who can dance.

• Love 6

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but I was kind of surprised they pulled out the big guns for Normani by bringing in Fifth Harmony this early  (you should see the YouTube count for that Dance btw almost 400K) Apparently she has a Hurricane Katrina story, and a Breast Cancer story (Mom is a survivor) I think she's a cancer society Ambassador. Color me shocked they didn't go with one of the two....

13 hours ago, RedFiat said:

It's typical of this show to overscore the nice guy non-dancer with the ginormous fanbase  for insurance that the cubbies fans will keep watching.  It's shameful the whoring of the audience share for ratings.  We've seen this movie before, and it takes David to 3rd place.  It would be lovely for once, they don't follow script and allow genuine scores to be part of the mix, instead of inflated ones. 

This so much! Love the way you phrased that btw! How can this go any other way, if stadium broadcast voting participation becomes a regular practice. My educated guess tells me only two fan bases can hold off that onslaught (Normani and Simones). The motto is vote for your "favorite dancer" so we can buckle up for some hot mess David dances in the finals...

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Uke said:

I've seen alot of comment on twitter that Serge helped Alan out with the choreography last week (Tango).  This Serge is part of the "fam".  What do you think? 

The trouble I have is, I've never seen anything known to have been choreographed by Alan.  Yes, the pros do have recognizable signatures - I just haven't seen enough to recognize Alan's yet, if he's even developed a signature yet.

I have no idea who "Serge" is to be fair I only know the pros. But that choreography was unmistakeably Maks, with the comedic beginning and end. Their also wasn't as much technical dancing as last week when allegedly it was Alan choreograhing. Plus when they panned up to Maks in the skybox he didn't look impressed when Julianne complemented Alan on the choreography, mistakenly.

• Love 1

Personally I know you can't blame an injury, but I've been disappointed in Maks' behaviour this season. You can tell the only reason he came back was the paycheck and he probably forced the producers to give him a star who could dance so that they'd last long into the competition and maximise his paycheck. Now he's injured, he's done the bare minimum other than show up on Monday nights, look supportive and collect his pro dancers paycheck whilst Alan collects a troupe dancers paycheck despite doing the vast majority of the work. He's not stupid, he probably knows by now that Heather isn't going to win or probably even make the final so he's not really as invested in coming back and working hard for Heather while he's still getting paid. I'd never vote for her because she shouldn't be on the show in the first place, but it's hard not to feel sorry for Heather. She's been royally screwed over due to all of this, her experience of the show has been a bad one and to make things worse it's impossible for the audience to get to know her personally as she's been completely overshadowed by this Maks drama. Maks should never have come back this season, but he needed the money and as a result has screwed Heather over. She would have had a much better chance if Alan had been her partner from the start, or if they'd brought Mark back to partner her. They could have even given her to Artem, brought Tony back to partner Nancy and I think she'd have had a better chance. As for everyone else, right now there is a clear top 6, if there is any justice then Erika, the Bachelor and the Cowboy will be the next three out. Unfortunately this is DWTS and justice is rarely done on this show. For me that spells bad news for Heather and Nancy.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, Emily-D said:

Personally I know you can't blame an injury, but I've been disappointed in Maks' behaviour this season. You can tell the only reason he came back was the paycheck and he probably forced the producers to give him a star who could dance so that they'd last long into the competition and maximise his paycheck. Now he's injured, he's done the bare minimum other than show up on Monday nights, look supportive and collect his pro dancers paycheck whilst Alan collects a troupe dancers paycheck despite doing the vast majority of the work. He's not stupid, he probably knows by now that Heather isn't going to win or probably even make the final so he's not really as invested in coming back and working hard for Heather while he's still getting paid. I'd never vote for her because she shouldn't be on the show in the first place, but it's hard not to feel sorry for Heather. She's been royally screwed over due to all of this, her experience of the show has been a bad one and to make things worse it's impossible for the audience to get to know her personally as she's been completely overshadowed by this Maks drama. Maks should never have come back this season, but he needed the money and as a result has screwed Heather over. She would have had a much better chance if Alan had been her partner from the start, or if they'd brought Mark back to partner her. They could have even given her to Artem, brought Tony back to partner Nancy and I think she'd have had a better chance. As for everyone else, right now there is a clear top 6, if there is any justice then Erika, the Bachelor and the Cowboy will be the next three out. Unfortunately this is DWTS and justice is rarely done on this show. For me that spells bad news for Heather and Nancy.

Which is unfortunate because she actually has a really funny personality. But people already have who they are voting for and the show has their picks, so I think it's a lost cause at this point.

In another season Nancy would be a sure thing for the finals. I knew she would be good but she's even better than I expected.

• Love 6

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but I was kind of surprised they pulled out the big guns for Normani by bringing in Fifth Harmony this early

Especially when they're having Boy Band/Girl Group night in a few weeks.  (I may be way too excited for this theme.)