Type keyword(s) to search

Home Town - General Discussion

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

Its been a busy day and I only now thought to provide the promised article about Laurel’s history!

Absolutely fascinating! Thank you so much for the link! Maybe this is the reason that the people of Laurel want to revitalize the downtown. I have been googling more about Laurel and now I can't wait to go! Trip has been moved to Thursday but I think it is a go!

• Love 1
6 hours ago, suebee12 said:

Absolutely fascinating! Thank you so much for the link! Maybe this is the reason that the people of Laurel want to revitalize the downtown. I have been googling more about Laurel and now I can't wait to go! Trip has been moved to Thursday but I think it is a go!

Alright! 

Anticipating your report!

Between Erin’s and Ben’s (non-flummoxing) essays and that article, I’ve developed way more of an interest than I probably could for a show set in Waco, or KC, or even Nashville. All together, they fascinate me about the place!

We went to Laurel yesterday! It was a great trip and the weather was beautiful. I wrote up our(my daughter-in-law, Marchelle and I went)trip on my blog. I figured it was the easiest way to post all the photos. Here is the linkhttps://suebeesworld.blogspot.com/2018/04/home-town-laurel-mississippi-visit.html. We saw the Minister's house, the Beard house, Ben and Erin's house, Miss Pearl's house and oh, so much more. When I got home last night, I did a quick watch of the episodes that I had saved. I know several people have asked about the teacher's house and the bars? on the door. I honestly couldn't remember any bars so when I did watch it again, I know why. I never thought of those as bars, just  decorative ornamental iron work...there was nothing on the windows. We saw a lot of that ornamental work on places around town and to me, it just looked decorative! I figure it will be easier if y'all just ask me questions that I will be able to answer! We already have a trip or two planned in the near future so if I don't know the answer, maybe I can find out on a future trip! Now ask away!

BTW, we didn't stray too far from the historic district, so we didn't see the outlying areas at all....and sadly, not a train in sight!

• Love 6

If you're looking for the Amtrak Crescent, it's daily schedule from NOLA to Laurel is arrival at 10:05 am, and from Laurel to NOLA is 4:01 pm, with an emphasis on schedule. It's usually late from Laurel to NOLA - we've been as much as 2-3 hours late, but it's usually more punctual going north, as it takes about 3 1/2 hours from NOLA to Laurel.

On 3/29/2018 at 4:24 PM, 3 is enough said:

Go to the homepage of their website.  Click on "Our Story".  Scroll down to the part about Erin and Ben.  There is a link to click on to get to the beginning of the blog.  

Have fun!  Took me the better part of a week to read the whole thing.  There are a lot of entries.

well its been a couple weeks i think and i am only to #2398 (shortly after the show started). i am enjoying it really. it is making me feel motivated to work harder on my own blog. ...and to add more photos to it!

Edited by zoomama
7 hours ago, suebee12 said:

We went to Laurel yesterday! It was a great trip and the weather was beautiful. I wrote up our(my daughter-in-law, Marchelle and I went)trip on my blog. I figured it was the easiest way to post all the photos. Here is the linkhttps://suebeesworld.blogspot.com/2018/04/home-town-laurel-mississippi-visit.html. We saw the Minister's house, the Beard house, Ben and Erin's house, Miss Pearl's house and oh, so much more. When I got home last night, I did a quick watch of the episodes that I had saved. I know several people have asked about the teacher's house and the bars? on the door. I honestly couldn't remember any bars so when I did watch it again, I know why. I never thought of those as bars, just  decorative ornamental iron work...there was nothing on the windows. We saw a lot of that ornamental work on places around town and to me, it just looked decorative! I figure it will be easier if y'all just ask me questions that I will be able to answer! We already have a trip or two planned in the near future so if I don't know the answer, maybe I can find out on a future trip! Now ask away!

BTW, we didn't stray too far from the historic district, so we didn't see the outlying areas at all....and sadly, not a train in sight!

Loved your blog post! I would’ve left a comment but can’t renember my blogspot password. Hadn’t known the museum had baskets — they’re a new interest of mine. Mallorie looks like a delightful person and is a good counterbalance to Erin’s loudness when they’re in a scene together. 

You’ve renewed my interest in traveling there some time! PS - can you give a hint of what sweet olive smells like? 

Just saw where Scotsman has teamed with Bassett Furniture of Virginia to make more affordable pieces. They say they rejected a foreign manufacturer’s lucrative offer, out of hand, staying true  to their desire to be of help in their own backyard (USA). Erin gets on my nerves, but on the whole, I couldn’t admire this couple and their associates more.  Jobs!  At home!

Edited by BckpckFullaNinjas
  • Love 6
On 4/13/2018 at 12:32 AM, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

PS - can you give a hint of what sweet olive smells like? 

I lit my candle two days in a row so I could try and describe the fragrance...and it is hard to do! It is sweet but not over-powering like jasmine or orange blossom. It is a clean smell that I really like and the candle is made here in Starkville! I checked the Aspen Bay website and did not see either of the fragrances from Laurel Mercantile so I figure they are made just for them. These candles are really popular around here...I remember when I first moved to Starkville in the late summer of 2016, my daughter-in-law was taking me somewhere and we saw this huge line of cars and people near a warehouse and we wondered what was going on! Since we had to start and stop many times, we asked someone in line what was going on...and it was a huge sale of Aspen Bay candles! Now I will have to go the the main store and check it out because the candles are really nice and smell so good...maybe I can find a sale!

I forgot to mention that the Lauren Rogers Museum also has a room filled with Sterling Silver. I forgot to take a photo and I can't find a really good one online but I will tell you that my first thought was, "I'm sure glad I don't have to keep all of this polished!" It sure was pretty and showed how the "rich folk" used to live!

• Love 2
10 hours ago, suebee12 said:

I lit my candle two days in a row so I could try and describe the fragrance...and it is hard to do! It is sweet but not over-powering like jasmine or orange blossom. It is a clean smell that I really like and the candle is made here in Starkville! I checked the Aspen Bay website and did not see either of the fragrances from Laurel Mercantile so I figure they are made just for them. These candles are really popular around here...I remember when I first moved to Starkville in the late summer of 2016, my daughter-in-law was taking me somewhere and we saw this huge line of cars and people near a warehouse and we wondered what was going on! Since we had to start and stop many times, we asked someone in line what was going on...and it was a huge sale of Aspen Bay candles! Now I will have to go the the main store and check it out because the candles are really nice and smell so good...maybe I can find a sale!

I forgot to mention that the Lauren Rogers Museum also has a room filled with Sterling Silver. I forgot to take a photo and I can't find a really good one online but I will tell you that my first thought was, "I'm sure glad I don't have to keep all of this polished!" It sure was pretty and showed how the "rich folk" used to live!

Sorry to quote the whole thing but my iPhone won’t let me select! 

Thank you for the description Of the sweet olive. Is there any sort of salt-air smell? I think if salty when I think of olive. Something a little on the savory side. Now I’m really intrigued!

Sterling silver - so delightful to look at! I saw a collection st an art museum that must have been in a hermetically sealed case  there wasn’t a hint of tarnish anywhere. Cannot imagine the tedium & aching muscles of doing that!!!  Yay for stainless steel. LOL

finished the blog!!!!   i really thought she was a sweet girl and enjoyed reading the story of their growth of businesses.  

BckpckFullaNinjas - thanks for asking about the candle smell. i wondered too but since i hate olives in every way, i figured i might not like it. however, suebee12's description may sway me! when is the show due to return? anyone know?

• Love 1

I think they will start shooting season 3 in the summer.  It takes a good 6 months to film.  I don't imagine they will be back until next January.  I think that once Fixer Upper became popular they filmed all year long- it seemed to have more episodes per season or two seasons each year.  Honestly I can't see Erin and Ben doing that- I think their daughter is their first priority.  They have a lot of things going on now with the show, the store, the new furniture business, and their work with Downtown Laurel.  Somehow I doubt they will expand their empire to the extent the Gaines did.

I would imagine that once they have a couple more seasons done HGTV will plug the reruns into the daytime rotation, but there are only 20 episodes right now.

Good on Ben for not selling out.  Have to admire his devotion to the cause.

I bought a candle too.  It is really nice- not overly floral or sweet.  There is a slight citrusy-spicy smell to it.  I don't like really heavily scented candles, but this is fresh and subtle.  

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 2
On 3/7/2018 at 2:20 PM, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

You said it perfectly!  Including the part i didn’t include in the quote.

And when I really think about why I prefer these k kids so much over the Gaines, it comes down to who they are. Chip==hustler and nothing wrong w that while it’s honest. Joanna==Chip-worshiper and while I could never have one of those he-man/she-submissive relationships, they do, and boy i$ it working. 

OTOH, from what I’ve read, Erin==brilliant if slightly neurotic artiste and Ben==rare breed of solid individual who knows himself and has a heart, at the end of the day, to serve. And that makes them a very pleasant watch. 

• Love 2

I read her entire blog and now that I'm done I miss it.

It's been a while since I've seen any episodes and not even sure if I've seen the 2nd season, so I'll be watching for reruns to get caught up.

I love the life they've built, how they remain steadfast in their faith and are grateful for it all. 

Okay, I haven't read through all the responses yet, but I can't be blamed as I only discovered Ben and Erin's adorable blog, and, yes, it may take a bit for me to recap story-changes. But damn, Ben Napier is one sexy beast! A big barrel of a man who is devoted to his lady, Erin is certainly lucky to have someone as adorably hunky as him. Just the simple way he looks at her, like she is the most beautiful jewel he has ever seen.

• Love 2

Their book is either published or about to be.

Erin mentions for many years she had horrible abdominal issues, and it turned out to be a burst appendix, that created scar tissue, and infection.     Ouch!

They introduced their furniture line, at the big furniture mart that they have this time of year.  

• Love 1

Pretty much like all of the other ones. I did like the house that the couple purchased. At least it's not take down this wall and open up everything and then throw in some barn doors and  paint everything grey. Erin seems to be a little more creative while keeping fairly close to the integrity of the house. They showed Helen on Facetime while Ben played with puppets. Was a good show. 

• Love 2

MaxxSouth also had the new episode on demand. I was so glad to see Erin and Ben back! A really different house for them to do, but it was done well! I would grab that backyard in a Laurel(NY) minute...it was the absolute best! I think my favorite part of Home Town is whatever Ben is building! I love that he reuses things plus his ideas are usually spot on. The bed was really great...storage, etc. I even liked the "fancy" tiles for a change! Can't wait for the show to be on weekly.

• Love 2
On 12/27/2018 at 3:04 PM, suebee12 said:

MaxxSouth also had the new episode on demand. I was so glad to see Erin and Ben back! A really different house for them to do, but it was done well! I would grab that backyard in a Laurel(NY) minute...it was the absolute best! I think my favorite part of Home Town is whatever Ben is building! I love that he reuses things plus his ideas are usually spot on. The bed was really great...storage, etc. I even liked the "fancy" tiles for a change! Can't wait for the show to be on weekly.

The only problem I had with the bed is that it looked really narrow. Was it even a queen size?

• Love 2

My cable company (Cox Communications) also had the episode available on demand.

I thought it was good.  I liked the house and designs, and I really thought the couple was great.  

Noticed they changed the opening.  

I am happy the show is back.

• Love 2

Quite a funny episode tonight, those buyers had a good sense of humor.  Kitchen dance party.  Not sure which one was Toy and which one was Cory, though.

Brick flooring inside the first house was weird.

They did great renovating the house exterior, painting the railing black was perfect.

Nice houses are so cheap there.  We're almost tempted to retire early and just move to Laurel on a smaller budget...A Whole New World.

• Love 3

There are some neat houses in Laurel, just watch the neighborhood.   If you Google: city-data forum Laurel MS, you get some interesting takes on Laurel.   Some people who apparently moved on are amazingly bitter about the place, but personally, I've never lived anywhere that didn't have good and bad areas.  

I loved the house the Watts family picked, but I would love to see the makeover they would do on the first one too.    I love that the houses are all individual, and not just the same over and over like some other shows.     I think the bed was a queen, but the room's so big it looked smaller.  I think the taller headboard made the bed look narrower too. 

I thought both of the Watts were great, but the husband was hysterical with the dance party, and the bathtub.     I'm glad they didn't show the underside of that bath carpet.    Dr. Toy Watts is the wife,  superintendent of schools.    Cory Watts is a minister at a NASA sight on the Gulf Coast, and as he put it, without the support of the community they wouldn't be able to do that.    They have no family in Laurel, but found a community that welcomed them with open arms.     There's a blog post linked from the Laurel Mercantile facebook to Erin's discussion of the project. 

I'm embarrassed to say that I assumed superintendent of schools equaled the husband, but it's the wife.     I really need to make fewer assumptions about people.

There are some neat houses in Laurel, you could buy one, and have it remodeled and be on the show.    Of course, you'd have to tell us when it was on.  

From their facebook, Ben has lost a lot of weight after this was filmed, and looks much happier.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

Last night was just kind of "meh" for me.  The kitchen was lovely, but I did not much like the living room and the foyer with the upholstered walls was definitely not my style at all.  Admittedly, painting the trim made it look better, but it was still way too "grandma-ish" for my taste. (and I am a grandma)  I can appreciate preserving the unique features of an older home but that particular one just did nothing for me.

ETA:  A couple of nit-picky things that just irked me: 

The hinges (antique ?) on the front door had old chipped paint on them. I wish they had been cleaned up first.  I remember one episode where Erin put the old hardware in a slow cooker to loosen and remove the old paint.  I think that would have looked nicer, but then I am not a "shabby chic" fan.

Also, I just don't understand keeping the old rickety single pane windows.  In the close ups, you can see the thick layers of paint on the wood between all the panes, and I find it looks sloppy.  But more importantly, with the high humidity and torrential rains in that part of the country, I would want energy efficient, double or triple glazed windows.  They do make them in styles that would compliment older homes.  I realize that budget constraints play a huge part in deciding what gets done, but for me that would be a non-negotiable item.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 1

I loved the Hogue house.     The Hogue family story is so cool too.     Their taco truck looks incredible.      It's described in Erin's blog, and the couple sound so amazing.  The Hogues are moving from Arizona, used to live in Oregon, and have ten kids, with six that are adopted.    They were moving with four of the kids that were still at home.  

I loved the kitchen.     The entry with the upholstered walls was nice, but then I don't live there, but I thought the paint really brought out the fabric much better.     It's too bad the second room didn't have the bead board in good shape, but at least they saved one room.      

I think some of the older windows they put in were in more sheltered areas, and I'm guessing getting double glazed replacement windows is phase two.   

I used to have laminate in a previous house, and I loved it, unfortunately, my dog wouldn't walk on it.   So I had cheap sheet vinyl remnants for walking paths for him. 

However, I've seen some bad installations on laminate, and if the Hogue house original laminate was older, then it might have been a bad installation, or other issues, and would be affected by water from the pool left on it.     

The Luxury Vinyl Plank is wonderful, waterproof, and looks like wood.     My favorite tile store carries the LVP, and have put sample sections in 6' x 8' sections, and it looks like hardwood.     My current house is LVP, glued down, and I love it.     However, when I was house hunting I saw some new builds with thicker laminate, and they were installed over uneven concrete slabs, and actually moved, and made noises.   I couldn't get out of that house fast enough.  

I can see getting the screens on an old porch out of there, but I either have to replace them, or have a screened room on the back, because I am a target for mosquitoes.      

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

1) Why do the crew routinely rip out - or plan to rip out - screens on porches? I get the “aesthetics” but I also get “mosquitos.”

2) The Hogue House may be on the most coveted street but its lot sure doesn’t have the best view. Looked like a commercial building across the street. 

3) Dining room table = work of art. 

4) Ben & Erin look down their noses at laminate flooring (“it’s pictures of wood”) but install vinyl floor tile. Go figure. 

• Love 2

Just finished the second episode and loved it! I cannot believe how much difference adding a front porch can make. It went from OK to super with that addition. I liked most things that were done but I am not sure I could live with that upholstered entry way. Maybe if they only left one small wall it would have been better...still have some of the original but not too much. 

7 minutes ago, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

1) Why do the crew routinely rip out - or plan to rip out - screens on porches? I get the “aesthetics” but I also get “mosquitos.”

2) The Hogue House may be on the most coveted street but its lot sure doesn’t have the best view. Looked like a commercial building across the street. 

3) Dining room table = work of art. 

4) Ben & Erin look down their noses at laminate flooring (“it’s pictures of wood”) but install vinyl floor tile. Go figure.

I agree about the screened-in porch. I live 2 hours away from Laurel and the mosquitoes are like airplanes dive bombing their way toward me! I can see leaving the porch plain in the front if they would give me a screened-in back porch!

As far as the location of the house...it is on the "best" street but at end that meets up with the downtown business area thus the not pretty surrounding area although a great park is across from that location.

I think the reason they went with the vinyl tile(or was it the regular tile that looks like wood?). I think in this case it was because of the kids(and dog) coming in from the pool. Easy to clean up and hard to damage!

Now for that table...Drop, dead gorgeous. Can you imagine what that would cost to have to buy it? Not enough money in the world!!!

One other thing...I would like to see a re-do on the first house they showed...maybe someone else will buy that one!

• Love 5

In defense of vinyl plank flooring- it actually is very durable, and really looks like hardwood.  My mother had it in her condo, and I was very impressed with the looks and quality.  I think the budget did not allow for porcelain or ceramic tile, and the vinyl was a decent substitute.

I must confess that I have the "pictures of wood" flooring in my house.  In the desert hardwood does not do well- it gets too dry and shrinks.  My laminate has held up really well for over 10 years- admittedly I do not have it in the bathrooms or kitchen, but I do have a dog and there are no scratches.  

To be honest, I am not sure about the brick floor in the kitchen- it looked pretty but I wonder how hard it is to keep clean.  Is it glazed or sealed in some way?  Otherwise it could chip and give off lots of dust.

Agree with everyone about the table- it was absolutely gorgeous!

• Love 3

I have laminate and like it and guess I need to get over the insults. Heh!  

I do appreciate the thought and individuality the crew put into the homes. But I’d be hard-pressed not to offer my opinion on a variety of their ideas. Guess when you’re lucky enough to be on the show, you’re happy to accept whatever they choose.

I’d be smiling politely about removing the screens — and calling somebody to replace them as soon as the cameras stopped recording!!! 8-D

I think the houses Ben and Erin redo have old, brittle screens, and I'm sure they need to be removed.   However, I would rescreen the porches that are a good configuration for the house, and for screens.      I'm wondering why a lot of the pools aren't made into enclosed screen rooms either.    That stops most of the leaf issue, the bug issue, and keeps critters from dropping in for a swim too, and if you have a good fencing system, and door, it can make the pool safer.    

I bet the brick floor was sealed, but has to dry out thoroughly first.    The brick floor wasn't full thickness, but the veneer type, and looked like the grout was level with the brick, so the floor was still flat.    I'm sure they used the sealer that is one the mall floors, it's very shiny and is not slick, and wears like iron.     

I'm wondering if the older laminate in the family room by the pool had water damage?     If people walked through after the pool that could happen, and would make the floor swell in places.      However, since my current house is LVP throughout, and if I replace it I'll use the click together wide planks LVP (they can do an entire house in a couple of days, and the worst part is moving the furniture back and forth).    LVP in a click together installation is very quick to put down, and looks .       I love my LVP, and my laminate floors were nice, but noisy sometimes.       Since it's so wet where I live (lower Alabama), I don't have to worry about tracking water in.   

I do understand what people say about tile floors not having any give.    In my previous house I got sick of the sheet vinyl (the outside edges pulled up from cold slabs in the winter), so I yanked it up, and it was plain concrete until I had ceramic tile installed.     When the tile installer came and moved the fridge and stove out, he remarked at how clean it was under both appliances.   I didn't tell him that a couple of days after I yanked the vinyl up I dropped a Corning Ware bowl, and it shattered, and went everywhere.   So I actually pulled the fridge out and swept and vacuumed, and took the stove storage drawer out, and cleaned under there too.    So it wasn't that I was so clean, but that I was so clumsy.      Concrete slab is hell on dropped dishes, and tile is too.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

It might just be me, and I’m a sight older than the two home-owner couples  I can recall that wound up with brick floors, but I would refuse. Flat out.

Reasons being:  there’s NO give when something falls - a heavy water tumbler that might survive a drop on wood will certainly shatter with brick. Cast iron could crack the brick, and I can imagine aluminum becoming dented out of shape.

#2:  As I’ve gotten older, I’ve increasingly appreciated - nay, required - truly flat floors. No throw rugs, no sills on doorway floors, certainly not the inherent unevenness of brick.  I’m far from disabled (thank Heaven) but even I am more prone to tripping over the littlest things.  

Takeaway:  Brick!  It IS just for exteriors! 8-D

• Love 3

So evidently Ben and Erin are renovating the kitchen in their own house.  I don't know if it will make it on to an episode (at this point I don't think they have even been formally renewed for season 4),  but I am sure they will share the progress on social media.  I thought their kitchen looked great, but evidently she wants a "true Craftsman" kitchen with oak cabinets and square tiles.  Really curious to see how it turns out.  I'm sure it will be lovely, and I doubt it will be a budget renovation like they did when they originally bought their house.

BckpckFullaNinjas, I totally agree about flat floors.  I do have tile on my kitchen floor, which is not good for dropped glasses, but at least it is flat.  

• Love 1
12 hours ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

How the heck do you clean a brick floor? Even just sweeping would seem to be difficult.

My friend put brick floors in her kitchen and they are gorgeous. Yes, they are sealed and the grout is pretty level with the top of the brick. She says they are very easy to keep clean by vacuuming and then mopping them with a microfiber 'string' mop.

• Love 2

I loved the house tonight.     The Canadian couple were so cute, and I know they'll be very happy in that adorable house.      I love that they fixed up a house that was passed over last season.    The kitchen was so much better, and the bathroom was fantastic.     The porch railing was fantastic.   I loved the former porch light that was moved to the bedroom.     

I counted, it took at least eight tries to get that Holly tree out.  I kept waiting for him to yank the hitch off of the truck.    

• Love 1

I enjoyed last night's episode.  I am also originally from Quebec so I was very curious as to how the Guays ended up in Laurel.  Loved how Ben said "Bienvenue a la maison Guay" during the reveal.  He did a pretty good job too!  

I noticed the kitchen ceiling was still textured and the tub just had shower curtains around it instead of any tile.  I guess that the unforeseen structural issues took a toll on the cosmetic repair budget. But they can always add tile at a later date.  

$147 K does sound like a good deal but you have to remember that the homeowners actually spent closer to $195K because the Canadian dollar is currently worth about $0.75 US.

Edited by 3 is enough

I was sorry they pulled out the holly tree. I mean, I get that it is fairly harmful (spiny leaves) but is there a chance it was replanted somewhere else? Foliage looked healthy, roots looked shallow. 

Guessing the Guays are renting it out as a B&B when they’re in Canada. Laurel must have a surplus by now!

Editing:  Never mind — I just googled and holly trees are fairly easily replanted and thrive. So, ok with them pulling it out.  

• Love 2

Mr. Guay was a contractor employee for a few months in Laurel, and fell in love with the place, and they're big fans of the show. 

The holly tree would have been a nightmare to replant, the leaves would have ruined anyone who tried to work with it.     Those trees grow so fast that someone can plant one now, and in a few years it will be huge.     My parents had one like it, and we were always having to go lop off new growth to keep it manageable.     It never should have been planted where it was, especially since the porch had no railings, and it was right by the stairs.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

They also mentioned "pictures of wood" in regards to laminate countertops. Ben makes his living as a woodworker and I understand his and Erin's preference for the real thing, but it's enough already. Laminate flooring and countertops are perfectly fine, functional, budget-conscious choices.

This is a design show and I like seeing nice finishes in the final product, but I think disparaging other choices feeds into that dopey House Hunters "prestige" fixation on things like granite and stainless steel.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 2

I think the target market for Ben and Erin's remodels are people who want hardwoods, and vintage touches, but want everything safety and comfort related redone too.   

There is some lovely laminate out there too, and I love the dull finish that isn't so slick (my late dog couldn't walk on my laminate floors, but he would walk on shiny sheet vinyl remnants, which made no sense, but that's how it worked out).      However, I've seen click together, wide plank LVP that is waterproof, and looks great.     I currently have glued down LVP, and everyone loves it (there are no models available so sometimes I let the realtor show my floors off), but next time I'll get LVP, click together, wide plank over the current floor.    My flooring and tile store did an entire section of their showroom in 8' x 6' sections of click together LVP, and I love how great it looks.    In an area where we get a lot of rain it's so much more sensible than hardwoods.   

• Love 2

I loved the house this week and my favorite part?....the fact that they picked a house that they had shown before! Sometimes I want to see what they do with the houses not chosen so this show was great. I am still not in love with porches with no screens but I guess that is a "true" southern view...porches must mean bugs! I really wondered if they would go back to houses they have shown because there are only so many houses in Laurel! One thing though, am I the only person who is not in love with vaulted ceilings? All I can think of is the fact that heat rises and all that lovely heat is somewhere over my head!(Yes, it is really cold down here in Mississippi now...34 right now and expected low 20's tonight....Brrrrrrrr...especially since I still haven't re-acclimated from FL!). I liked the in-between ceiling they showed...interesting to look at but not super high ceilings!

• Love 6

In a town of 18,000 people there are only so many houses to choose from, so it stands to reason that some of the rejects would be picked eventually.  I saw something on Instagram about a season finale party on April 8 which would make 13 episodes.  That's a total of 33 houses redone so far.

Honestly the "pictures of wood" thing- I bet they said it as a joke and someone on the production team thought it was clever and encouraged them to repeat it every time they came across laminate.  Kinda like how they always had to say "ship lap" on Fixer Upper.  I don't think the possibility that it could come across as sounding a bit elitist even occurred to anyone.

• Love 3