Type keyword(s) to search

Home Town - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I would have liked the bowls better if the cooper was inlaid in the wood instead of just hammered onto it.

I'm confused about the big hole in the bathtub?  Isn't it a two-part unit?  Now I'm gonna have to go and look at them online and see.

• Love 3
On 3/11/2021 at 1:20 PM, RoxiP said:

I'm confused about the big hole in the bathtub?  Isn't it a two-part unit?  Now I'm gonna have to go and look at them online and see.

I don't think that was a big hole in the tub, they used black fixtures on the tub, so the overflow valve on the tub, and the drain looked huge, but it was a regular tub drain.   It just looks big because it's the drain and the ring around it.   It was an illusion, but I certainly did a double take when I looked at the rerun. 

I loved the Show Runner's house tonight!   I was really worried when I heard Erin say orange, and then showed that phony picture on her phone, but I think the outside of the house looked lovely.    I really liked the inside too, especially the bedroom and bath.   The sea turtle blown glass was fascinating to see it produced, and what it looked like finished.      I really got a kick out of Ben, Josh, and Jim jumping in the pool. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I don't think that was a big hole in the tub, they used black fixtures on the tub, so the overflow valve on the tub, and the drain looked huge, but it was a regular tub drain.   It just looks big because it's the drain and the ring around it.   It was an illusion, but I certainly did a double take when I looked at the rerun. 

I loved the Show Runner's house tonight!   I was really worried when I heard Erin say orange, and then showed that phony picture on her phone, but I think the outside of the house looked lovely.    I really liked the inside too, especially the bedroom and bath.   The sea turtle blown glass was fascinating to see it produced, and what it looked like finished.      I really got a kick out of Ben, Josh, and Jim jumping in the pool. 

There's a glass blowing competition show on Netflix called Blown Away that you might like.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Lilacly said:

There's a glass blowing competition show on Netflix called Blown Away that you might like.

I binge watched that show recently - it was amazing (although I disagreed with both of the winners).

• Love 2
2 hours ago, RoxiP said:

I binge watched that show recently - it was amazing (although I disagreed with both of the winners).

I only disagreed with the season 1 winner but the season 2 winner I was okay with

Spoiler

since the teacher had been eliminated for almost never following the briefs even though he was still the most skilled.

Edited by Lilacly
5 hours ago, Lilacly said:

I only disagreed with the season 1 winner but the season 2 winner I was okay with

Hide contents

since the teacher had been eliminated for almost never following the briefs even though he was still the most skilled.

Agreed with both points season 2

• Love 1
On 1/5/2021 at 6:42 PM, Kemper said:

Home Town is about the only show on HGTV where all the redesigned homes look individual; each one is geared to the owner's wants and needs.  It is nice to actually see some color and individuality and thought put into the final product.

That's what I LOVE about the show,  Erin is very creative and really thinks about the owner's tastes.  I get so tired of cookie cutter designs. 

• Love 12

I liked what they did with the show runner's house.  I was actually surprised that she took the second house.  I thought the first one was a lock.  The only thing I wasn't crazy about was the orange color...I'm just not a fan.

I loved the guys jumping in the pool and the sound guy hiding in the closet and laughing at the woman's nickname priss pot.

• Love 8

I cringed when Ben, who is absolutely darling, spit out his water to show Erin the flow pattern of the fountain. Please, Ben, don’t let them turn you into Chip!! Come to the light! Otherwise, another great episode.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

I record these shows and I don’t watch  until I get a chance. Last night I watched the one with the couple from the north west.  he was Hawaiian.  and they did a renovation on a 1930s home I believe. I like what Ben and Erin do for the most part except I don’t think every kitchen needs a huge island. personally I like the  flow of my kitchen and not have a big lumbering island to turn into whenever I walk away from the sink. Oh wait the sink is always in the island instead of under a window where it should be!

anyway.,., first of all on the house that they did not take with the beautiful antique cooking stove that the woman loved, so did I. Erin said it’s something that looks nice but the electric would cause problems, something to that effect. Is she shitting me? These stoves are renovated all the time. I would have loved to have that stove and have it re-done. What were they going to do just chuck it? I hope the person that did buy that house had more sense  

speaking of getting rid of original or antique vintage details. The house they did take had one or maybe two built in a corner cabinets that were probably original to the house and I see that they just removed them. I’m starting to dislike some of these renovations that they do where they modernize the house too much.  how can you with a clear conscience remove an original feature from an almost 100-year-old house ?makes me physically ill. At least Brett on Restored is not destroying the homes he restores and actually has a conscience about well built original details. Shame on you Ben  and Erin. Stop turning vintage homes into ugly modern open concept areas.

• Love 7
On 3/24/2021 at 3:38 PM, chediavolo said:

I record these shows and I don’t watch  until I get a chance. Last night I watched the one with the couple from the north west.  he was Hawaiian.  and they did a renovation on a 1930s home I believe. I like what Ben and Erin do for the most part except I don’t think every kitchen needs a huge island. personally I like the  flow of my kitchen and not have a big lumbering island to turn into whenever I walk away from the sink. Oh wait the sink is always in the island instead of under a window where it should be!

anyway.,., first of all on the house that they did not take with the beautiful antique cooking stove that the woman loved, so did I. Erin said it’s something that looks nice but the electric would cause problems, something to that effect. Is she shitting me? These stoves are renovated all the time. I would have loved to have that stove and have it re-done. What were they going to do just chuck it? I hope the person that did buy that house had more sense  

speaking of getting rid of original or antique vintage details. The house they did take had one or maybe two built in a corner cabinets that were probably original to the house and I see that they just removed them. I’m starting to dislike some of these renovations that they do where they modernize the house too much.  how can you with a clear conscience remove an original feature from an almost 100-year-old house ?makes me physically ill. At least Brett on Restored is not destroying the homes he restores and actually has a conscience about well built original details. Shame on you Ben  and Erin. Stop turning vintage homes into ugly modern open concept areas.

They're not restoring the homes for themselves, but for people who've already bought the homes and want them renovated a certain way.

• Love 6

From the behind the scenes shows they did for a while, Erin and Ben really get to know the homeowners, and what they like.    They don't like to do open concept homes either, but some homeowners want it, so they adapt.    I'm guessing that the ones with the outrageous changes (the wild dining room wallpaper, or the one this season with the black background wallpaper, where they painted the wainscoting black,) are approved by the homeowner before they ever start work.  

• Love 4
12 hours ago, readheaded said:

They're not restoring the homes for themselves, but for people who've already bought the homes and want them renovated a certain way.

I know that. They should at least point out to the uneducated owners what they are destroying. Original features. Like I say, buy an ugly newer plain house instead of ruining something that can not be replaced.  

• Love 5
47 minutes ago, chediavolo said:

I know that. They should at least point out to the uneducated owners what they are destroying. Original features. Like I say, buy an ugly newer plain house instead of ruining something that can not be replaced.  

Wow. 

9 hours ago, chediavolo said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen an episode where they’ve intentionally destroyed a historic feature. Usually when they take something out (like a fireplace) it’s because it’s dangerous for them the keep. We can also assume that many of these houses come with asbestos or lead paint, and that has to be removed. Plus, 100 year old houses have to be brought up to code.   As always, mileage may vary. 🤷‍♀️

Edited by irisheyes
  • Love 12

I watched the rerun of the show runner, and it was so funny when she opened the door and the sound guy was laughing.  

The designer's house they're doing tonight is so amazing.    How nice of the bank people to let others use the usable parts of the bank.     The cat-inet is such a clever idea.   That rot in the dining room, and window was hideous.   $10k to fix that is seriously scary.   

How neat to have the baskets, and talk to the Choctaw basket maker about the entire process.     

The muralist is such a unique idea, and I loved how it looked when it was finished..   The yarn piece is certainly unique, and I hope the homeowner likes it.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5

If I purchase a home I can do whatever I want with it.  I personally probably wouldn't tear out most historic features but a home has to suit the lifestyle of the person who owns it.

This whole conversation reminds me of the movie Beetlejuice where the new homeowners purchased and destroyed the beautiful farmhouse...LOL!

Edited by RoxiP
  • Love 2

If I am being totally honest last night was not one of my favorite episodes.  I am not a fan of dark colors on walls and I really disliked the touches of gold, especially those drapes in the bedroom. That’s a color that looks lovely on autumn leaves, but personally I think it should stay outside.  That’s just me though.

As long as the homeowner is happy, that’s all that matters.

My bigger issue was with the house. All that rot.  Didn’t they get an inspection? If I was putting in an offer on a 70 year old house you had better believe I would have it thoroughly inspected.  If nothing else, she could have gotten a price reduction.  Maybe all that happened and the drama was just scripted- at the end of the day it is a tv show. 

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 6
On 3/24/2021 at 3:38 PM, chediavolo said:

THIS!    You are my spirit animal.   I was shocked at her comment about that lovely stove!   Restored is my favorite,  Home Town is getting too too modern in it's concepts.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Doublemint said:

THIS!    You are my spirit animal.   I was shocked at her comment about that lovely stove!   Restored is my favorite,  Home Town is getting too too modern in it's concepts.

Thank you!! Way too modern! every kitchen does not need a huge island for you to bump into every time you turn around-was wondering why no one as like minded as me had spoken up. Home owners & renovators need to Stop ruining antique and vintage things. So much is gone already.  I am so disappointed in this show right now, all I can watch is restored. I would’ve taken that stove  & those corner cabinets and everything else They discarded in a heartbeat. 

• Love 5

I mostly like their designs and think the houses turn out great.  The one thing that bugs on this show, and a lot of other reno shows, is there is hardly ever a closet near the front door.  I don't know about Mississippi, but up here in the cold north, a coat closet and place for shoes and boots and hats is vital!  I know some homes have mud rooms and maybe that's sufficient, but most don't have that, either.  I honestly have no idea where people put their jackets and umbrellas and shoes. 

With the size of these homes, I also can't figure out where they put their vacuum cleaners, brooms and swiffers, suitcases, and christmas ornaments.  Don't get me started on the lack of decent spaces for the TV's we all watch HGTV on!

I do love this show, though.  It does feel warm and cozy to watch, and most of their homes turn out feeling warm and cozy too.

• Love 15
36 minutes ago, izabella said:

I mostly like their designs and think the houses turn out great.  The one thing that bugs on this show, and a lot of other reno shows, is there is hardly ever a closet near the front door.  I don't know about Mississippi, but up here in the cold north, a coat closet and place for shoes and boots and hats is vital!  I know some homes have mud rooms and maybe that's sufficient, but most don't have that, either.  I honestly have no idea where people put their jackets and umbrellas and shoes. 

With the size of these homes, I also can't figure out where they put their vacuum cleaners, brooms and swiffers, suitcases, and christmas ornaments.  Don't get me started on the lack of decent spaces for the TV's we all watch HGTV on!

I do love this show, though.  It does feel warm and cozy to watch, and most of their homes turn out feeling warm and cozy too.

Best post I’ve read in a long time. 

• Love 6

OMG exactly my thoughts.  I get a little nervous when I'm watching these shows just thinking...where's the basement?  Garage?  Storage?  I can't believe there's hardly any place to store things.

• Love 8

What really pains me is when there is an existing coat closet that gets demo'd or converted into something else! 😭

Some of these houses have a side/back door with a mudroom/space, so I guess it works in those cases. 

• Love 3
On 3/24/2021 at 1:38 PM, chediavolo said:

speaking of getting rid of original or antique vintage details. The house they did take had one or maybe two built in a corner cabinets that were probably original to the house and I see that they just removed them. I’m starting to dislike some of these renovations that they do where they modernize the house too much.  how can you with a clear conscience remove an original feature from an almost 100-year-old house ?makes me physically ill. 

My sister's house has two of those built-in corner cabinets and they are my favourite things in the ~100 yr old house (and will remain untouched).  The least they could do is carefully remove the fronts/doors and re-use them elsewhere in the house.  Or Ben & Erin save them to use in another project where the owners want character or need to replace things torn out by previous owners.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 3

Maybe Erin and Ben have run out of people who want complete restoration.

I did not own a winter coat until I moved away from the Deep South. Our homes never had coat closets. My old, small Craftsman doesn't have one, either, and I use a plain, antique wardrobe tucked into a corner of my living room. I had a carpenter build a slender broom/mop closet in a kitchen niche, complete with ventilation grids. It can be done.

Several of the restoration/flipper show hosts have warehouses where they stash stuff they've saved and they re-use it. Nicole in Detroit, the Boise guys, and Erin and Ben. I'm glad the salvaging movement has taken off where I live. Where I once faced a charming old Craftsman across the street, I now face its replacement - a monstrous three-story modern cube in garish colors. But the developer stripped out and saved the Craftsman's hardwood floors and trim before demolishing the house.

• Love 2
On 3/29/2021 at 12:30 PM, Doublemint said:

I second that opinion,  one of the things I always have hated about these renovation shows is how they transform wonderful old homes into cookie cutter open concept home depot boxes.  Restored is one of my favorites too!  I love how they preserve and restore while understanding the tastes and lifestyles of the owners.  I am getting worried about Home Town becoming more like the way overpraised Chip and Jo show.  

• Love 6
(edited)

I really like Robby & Angie Scruggs, love that they're deciding between the current house that needs a lot of work, and the house that needs a lot in the back yard, with a pool, pavilion, and outdoor kitchen.    They're keeping the current house, and fixing it to meet their needs for now, and the future.    Like Erin says, renovating the current house, allows them to remodel to the needs of the family.  

Ben and the crew saved the kitchen cabinet doors, some of the cabinets, and that bizarre built-in the homeowners never liked.   I think the homeowners made the right choice, to keep the current house with the fantastic backyard, and then modify the interior spaces that need a change.    The kitchen already looks so much better than it did originally.     The change in the front door and the trim is making such a change. 

I love the shower tile.  

I love how the man is crafting the table with the metal supports.    The dining room table is spectacular!     The kitchen is great.    I'm crazy about the cabinet color, but as long as the homeowners are happy, I guess I'll have to get over it. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

On Scruggs episode, I'm sorry to see Erin on the brass/gold fixture bandwagon like every other HGTV designer. Maybe it's just me, but I haven't seen anyone use it in real life. I think it still looks dated and gaudy.

For my taste, Erin uses way too much dark green. When they saw the all-white kitchen Angie Scruggs said she really liked it so I'm not sure why Erin choose to have all the cabinets in the kitchen green. I thought it was green overload. 

This one wasn't one of my favorites.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, absolutelyido said:

On Scruggs episode, I'm sorry to see Erin on the brass/gold fixture bandwagon like every other HGTV designer. Maybe it's just me, but I haven't seen anyone use it in real life. I think it still looks dated and gaudy.

For my taste, Erin uses way too much dark green. When they saw the all-white kitchen Angie Scruggs said she really liked it so I'm not sure why Erin choose to have all the cabinets in the kitchen green. I thought it was green overload. 

This one wasn't one of my favorites.

I agree with all of this.  Brass/gold has come and gone over the years, mostly gone.  I recall babysitting for several families in the 1960s & 70s when brass/gold became cool and only 2 yrs later it looked horribly dated.  Same for busy multicoloured tiny mozaic (half inch squares) backsplashes.  And flat-panel grainy mid-tone wooden kitchen cabinets.  Trends should be used for accessories, not things that are costly to replace, like $6000 fancy stoves with bold brass knobs that match the 30+ cabinet knobs & pulls.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, deirdra said:

Trends should be used for accessories, not things that are costly to replace, like

I always wonder how fast people will tire of painted kitchen cabinets? And the trend of no upper kitchen cabinets, just open shelving. Just no.

• Love 11
11 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

I always wonder how fast people will tire of painted kitchen cabinets? And the trend of no upper kitchen cabinets, just open shelving. Just no.

I really loathe the open shelves in the kitchen.  

• Love 10

Meanwhile, I really liked the Scruggs. And they were so delighted with everything, even though the kitchen wasn't a white palace (like the red herring house). 

I once put up a few small corner shelves to display a creative s&p shaker collection. Since they were above a pie chest, nobody dusted on the regular. When I took them down to repaint the walls, I looked at them and swore: No Open Shelves Ever! 🤢

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, readheaded said:

Amen.  Ditto cupboards with glass doors.  Cupboards are meant to put things away in and close the doors on the clutter rather than stress out about making sure all your kitchen goods are displayed as artfully as they can be.  Not to mention the horrible sticky sludge that builds up on exposed knickknacks with the aerosolized grease and dust that goes everywhere in the kitchen.  This is also why the kitchen cabinets chez HV are extra tall and mounted at the ceiling.  Clean lines and no dust and grease catchers.  Yes, I have to use a step stool to reach the highest shelves, but I put stuff up there I rarely use.

• Love 10
(edited)
1 hour ago, readheaded said:

The open shelvers must not cook.  No matter how careful you are about always using the fan over the stove, oily particles disperse all over the kitchen, creating a sticky film over everything on the shelves. 

I have one glass door on a corner cabinet, with an etched pattern on it so that you cannot see through it clearly. One cabinet to keep orderly if plenty!

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 10

I don't mind one or two glass door cabinets for pretty stuff that doesn't get used often.  But open shelves just no.  We redid our kitchen 7 years ago.  Put the cabinets right up to the ceiling so there would be no dust and grease accumulation.  

I suppose people might get tired of colored cabinets, but it's just as easy to get tired of white or a shade of stained wood.  The only difference is that with specific colors instead of neutrals you are limited to what accent colors you can use if you want to change things up.

That said, I did like the kitchen.  Noticed that Erin used her favorite backsplash tile again.  I'm not in love with it.

• Love 2

I think the backsplash tile is the go to tile for places that are over budget.   This house went $10k (or was it last week's house?) over budget I think.   Either way, that tile is available, looks kind of vintage, and is quick to install.       It's OK to me, but not as adorable as my kitchen backsplash tile.     I think there are a lot of people that have been painting cabinets, it's not my choice, but it's their choice I guess.    Green cabinets can be nice, but I didn't like the green shade that was in the house last night.   I suspect that the homeowners have a great deal of input about specific colors, even though they don't see the house or do the design input on it, I think some things are their choice.     I suspect that the kitchen backsplash being the cheaper tile was to help make up for the herringbone shower tile.   The tile installer explaining why you do the picture frame (I hope I get that right), then do the herring bone, was very interesting to me.      

I think the reason the homeowners were happy about the painted cabinets is that Ben and Erin added so much light.   The previous house had so few lights, it was very dark.    

• Love 3
1 hour ago, deirdra said:

The open shelvers must not cook

Or, they bought the house w/ the damn things and can't afford to change them.  (raises hand).. 2 ½ walls of open shelves in my kitchen (one wall is floor to ceiling, sadly.)

I loathe them but life interfered and the money set aside to gut the kitchen and put up cupboards had to go elsewhere and here we are 7 years later, still open shelves.  

I avoid my kitchen at all costs.  

• Love 1

The tile installer explaining why you do the picture frame (I hope I get that right), then do the herring bone, was very interesting to me.      

That info made all my HGTV watching worth it🤗 Now if I can figure out how to avoid grout. I hate grout.

• Love 7
(edited)

In my house I had a tile wall (it looks nice, or at least people say it does), kitchen back splash, and some tile in the mortgage payer's bath (primary, and main, and master, just don't describe it properly), have special grout, it won't stain, doesn't ever need sealing, or discolor.    It cost a lot (I think the giant tub of premixed is about $200), but it's worth every penny.   It's only done one time, and you never touch it again.   The grout also comes in a bunch of colors, so it's just like getting the cheaper grout, but the installer doesn't have to mix the expensive stuff. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

Those of us who painted our kitchen cabinets ourselves love them. That's because it was too much damn work to do something different. No, really, having stared at hulking ugly orangey-brown cabinets for 20 years, and not being able to afford new ones, I painted them creamy white and replaced the hardware. I adore them.

And, I left the doors off of a small row just to display my antique tea tins and such. And I used one wall to hang art. I may be veering toward thrift shop territory, but I love my refreshed kitchen now. Wouldn't trade it for an HGTV kitchen. But what I wouldn't give for Ben and Erin to open up the back wall and fill it with big windows and French doors.

Have they ever shown images of their own home?

• Love 10