Type keyword(s) to search

Home Town - General Discussion

• Start Topic

How cool that they found the "decorator's board" or whatever you call it with the original wallpaper, carpet, etc. on it. Goes to show that the decorating was probably top-notch at the time.

Kitchen was gorgeous, but I'm not in love with the idea of NOT having casual dining, even if you have stools at the ginormous island. I'd be more OK with it if at one end of the island 1 or 2 people could sit perpendicular to the others to make conversation easier.

The limestone wash of the exterior turned out well. Is that one guy color-blind? The shutters did look blue to me. (He said they were green.) Maybe when the sun caught them a certain way the color looked different.

I too, LOVED the mid-century house! I want Ben and Erin to redo that one too. For some reason I'm slightly surprised that a mid-century house is there in Laurel or in the vicinity.

• Love 4

It is my understanding that anything that Ben or Erin makes are gifts that stay with the house.  The bed was really expensive but it was also good advertising for the furniture maker, and since Ben helped to make it it would fall under the gift category.

• Love 2

I think something like the lampshade she covered with fabric would be a gift.  Not so sure about the mirrors on the stairs, but I just get the impression that if they go to the trouble of devoting a whole segment of the episode to it then it stays.  But who knows?

My understanding from reading a lot of articles about Home Town is that if Ben makes something special, like a table, bench, etc. it stays with the house, and projects like the mirror wall would too.    The basket pendant lamps Erin makes stay too, or other light fixtures.     Items like a custom bed would stay also, they did that in several houses like the school superintendent's house, and the one where Ben learned to do headboards.  Also, anything built in to the house, like a banquette, library nook, reading area is part of the house.    They also use some of the person's own belongings, and furniture too, when they can.    The retired anesthesiologist had some, the single preacher had books, and a lot of furniture.    

The bed with the spiral posts in the surgeon's home is from Reid Classics, a third generation, family-owned business here in Dothan.   They're custom made, and take two or three months to complete.    They're quite expensive, but since they're exactly what the customer orders, solid wood, and great construction, I think they're worth it.    

https://www.reidclassics.com/?gclid=CjwKCAiApNSABhAlEiwANuR9YPQysQohOziKYTfwgvPPkF09V-30cDu7BpXmsDUi8L5-X0ZM-sOA6RoCCy0QAvD_BwE   All of the different choices, like the bed posts are in the brochure.   I don't know how anyone can choose, since they're all so wonderful.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

What a lovely episode, and I love the house.     Kendall is so nice.   I love Helen's reaction to the Great Dane.   I love Ben building the coffee table, and Hans' dog bed from the legs they found in the butler's pantry.     I'm so glad Kendall decided to move into town, and is near her friends.   I love Kendall's mother, she seems so nice.  

• Love 5

I loved the grey woodwork with the white/cream walls in the house tonight. They also did that in the Southern Italianate house in S1 or S2. I really want to do it in my house.

Kendall kept it together better than I did when she saw the quilt Erin had made for her. 

Two women widowed at a young age in this season. Very sad. Kendall's husband was only 29, and it didn't sound like they had been married very long. Very nice that she would be so close to friends, and the house had beautiful light through so many windows that made it feel like a cheery place to me. 

• Love 8
11 hours ago, absolutelyido said:

Kendall kept it together better than I did when she saw the quilt Erin had made for her. 

Two women widowed at a young age in this season. Very sad. Kendall's husband was only 29, and it didn't sound like they had been married very long

Oh my, that was an incredibly thoughtful gift and I admit I did tear up. I missed the beginning. Was Kendall living in another city or state before returning back to Laurel? I loved the block and everything about the renovation. That Great Dane was something else! Loved the dog bed but am wondering if the dog will even fit. I've a collie mix who is rather large and though dogs like to curl up, I'm not sure that even my dog would fit. 

• Love 2

Kendall and her husband had a place out of town, in the country side.  After his death, she felt isolated, and wanted to move into town.   

I love everything they did in the house, and I hope Kendall will love it there, with her friends and family closer to her.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

As usual, the end result was lovely, but I must admit I found this episode difficult to watch. 
You could see the sadness in Kendall's eyes.  I'm glad she has moved closer to her friends and hope it will help her move on with her life.
The quilt was a lovely gesture but watching her reaction to it just felt very invasive to me.  I do wonder if filming it was too much. Maybe it should have been left as a private moment.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 5

I love Kendall's house!  It just seems so cheerful and bright and warm.  I also really like that there are separate rooms in this place.  It has so many lovely little areas, but my favorites are the two rooms that had all the big windows.  That's where I'd be most of the time curled up with some HGTV and a glass of iced tea.  I hope Kendall is very happy there.

• Love 4

I love Erin and Ben redoing Erin's Uncle Danny's house.   I love the few episodes where there is very limit on the budget.    I love that Danny wanted to redo the house that used to be in the family, and has so much historic value. 

I love how the house turned out, and I love how touched Danny, and Jim were with the Walter Anderson print that granddaughter water colored for him.    The entire house was spectacular.  

They've said before that they don't always have time to show everything they do, and they don't always finish every room in time for the TV filming.     The upstairs might only have needed paint, and new light fixtures too.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

It was cute seeing how excited little Lucy was to be participating in getting the house ready for her grandfather. 

Danny wore a wedding ring but there was no mention of his wife. I'm assuming she must be deceased.

"What the hell is a banquet!" made me laugh.

• Love 1

That was a very large house that Eric and Ben renovated for Uncle Danny.  So what about the other several bedrooms and bathrooms?  Is he just going to close them off or spend more money to have them renovated?  This is what bothers me about the large houses.  We don't get to see the rest of the house.  I'd also have liked to have seen the backyard.

• Love 1

Apparently Danny has continued to have work done on the upstairs since they taped the episode according to the Laurel Mercantile website episode recap.

Spoiler

And per last night’s live tweeting he is married but his wife (Jim’s mom) did not want to be on tv.

No spoiler.  I hit it accidentally and can’t get rid of it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

LOVED the green kitchen and that granite. What a great area of the house ... the kitchen and that den. 

That was a lot of landscaping cleanup to do. Where to even begin? House had a detached garage, correct? Very nice.

They showed another house at the beginning that the uncle had done. That house was gorgeous.

On a superficial note, I normally love all of Erin's nicer clothes, but that huge dress she wore when they went to meet the folks at the food truck just was not a good look. It totally engulfed her.

• Love 2

Since they don't have fans or other cooling going when they're filming, I suspect that's why Erin wears looser clothing during filming.    

Today's new episode.  I love the couple, and I love that the mother was buying the vacation home in Laurel for her daughter, and family.    I love that the budget is so high, and the houses are so big.  I loved the kitchen, and family room after, and the outdoor kitchen was spectacular.     I love when Ben and Erin redo a small house with a small budget, but I like seeing a variety of houses too.   That pool was revolting!  

The original kitchen with double ovens, fridges, dishwashers, etc. is a kosher kitchen.    I'm surprised that no one realized this.      (There is also something called a spice kitchen, that I don't really understand, but that kitchen last night was a kosher kitchen). 

Since they turn off heat, and air conditioning for filming, and outside won't use fans, then I suspect Erin is dressing for filming, and so she won't have giant sweat stains showing.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 2
On 2/16/2021 at 10:21 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

The original kitchen with double ovens, fridges, dishwashers, etc. is a kosher kitchen.    I'm surprised that no one realized this.   

Never thought of that , now it makes total sense. thank you. But, I still wonder what they are really going to do with the house. That kitchen was big and if its only going to be used as a vacation home, they added a lot of expensive features for something that wont be used a lot.

• Love 1

At the end of the episode, the wife said that they might move back to Laurel full time.    I suspect they're planning to retire there someday, but will move if they can. 

I'm sure there are Jewish families in Laurel, but maybe not so many who advertise they keep kosher, and have the double kosher kitchen.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
On 2/16/2021 at 8:21 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

The original kitchen with double ovens, fridges, dishwashers, etc. is a kosher kitchen.    I'm surprised that no one realized this. 

I was just coming here to say that!  I guess there are not a lot of Jewish families in Laurel.

That was a gorgeous kitchen.  

• Love 2
12 hours ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

If I were doing a reno with Erin and Ben, I would want to do the entire house and would budget accordingly.

With a few basic cost cutting ideas, you could probably do your whole house with the budget they do three or four rooms with.   

For example, the full size refrigerator/freezer they used in the vacation home kitchen can cost from $5000 to $15000, that could be reduced easily.

• Love 1

Re-watching the episode with Kendall who was moving into town from the country after her husband died, I noticed that her house is next door to Shef's house, the bachelor who they worked with last year. You can tell because of the distinctive window boxes.

• Love 1
(edited)

Tonight's new episode "Clean Lines, Open Spaces" is another with a big budget.    The homebuyer was living in a trailer, and lost it to a tornado.   He's a Physician's Assistant in Laurel.  I like Mid-Century Modern, and he's looking at two of them.   I like that the homeowner is considering long-term needs, and the stairs on the second house.    And they're meeting at the Bird Dog Cafe.     He picked the first one, closest to his clinic,   I can't wait to see how it turns out.  

I love the portraits of his children.    I really like that Ben found the original blueprints in the grandfather's workshop.   How amazing that the grandfather built the house too.   I like that they're saving the intercom/radio system.    I love the brackets Ben found for the bench, too bad they won't hold up anything. 

I loved the house, and that giant closet was amazing.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4

I've just started watching this show, mostly because it is on HGTV at 11PM Sunday night when I'm winding down from the weekend.  Since I usually only watch the 11PM episode, I'm not usually seeing the "new" one from that week.  But that's OK. 

I was hesitant to like this show, because I absolutely cannot stand Chip and Joanna Gaines so I was afraid this was going to be another one of those husband and wife HGTV shows that I despise.  There's another couple I can't stand either, I forget their names, the ones that flip homes in SoCal.  Anyways.  Other than the beard, I found that I really like Erin and Ben.  They seem to be genuine people really passionate about making home spaces work for others, rather than making others like their personal design preferences.

I love how Erin and Ben really do have respect for older homes, how unique they are, and how they want to celebrate those quirks and differences rather than gutting and doing great rooms with white kitchens, subway tiles, and monstrous waterfall edge islands.  The episode I watched last night with the historical upholstery wall covering in the entryway made me think, uh oh, look at how enthusiastic Erin is, and how horrified the potential homeowner is....this isn't going to go well.  Then in the end, repainting the wainscoting and trim made that upholstery look fantastic and elegantly retro and not at all stuffy and busy.  Erin has good instincts, I've got to learn to trust that.  Too bad the beadboard in the dining room was all messed up.  And too bad they couldn't refinish the beadboard in the living room with a lighter stain, that would have been gorgeous, but I really don't think that is possible.  Painting it was the only real option, and it turned out well.

But y'all, I have a question.  It has been bugging me for weeks since I started watching this show.  Erin's hair drives me crazy.  I think it is cute, and suits her perfectly, but does she really change the part in her hair from left to right all the time, or is half the time the show filmed in mirror mode? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, 3 is enough said:

Erin switches her part from side to side almost every day.

Oh thank you!  I don't know anyone who does this, so it kept bugging me...this side, then that side.  Either way, her hair is super cute and suits her right down to the ground!

• Love 6

I don't know anyone who does this, so it kept bugging me...this side, then that side.  Either way, her hair is super cute and suits her right down to the ground!

This drove me crazy for a long time. (I thought I was losing my mind!) It definitely does suit her. Can't even imagine her with a different style. I like how sometimes she has it wavy.

"Clean Lines, Open Spaces" ... really liked the kitchen and the blue backsplash tile. Not so sure about the dark exterior.

One thing I love about the show in general is how many cool and interesting and different houses there are to look atStorybook Tudors, little cottages, colonials, mid-century moderns, etc. 

• Love 8
(edited)

"Woodland Wonderland"  a lovely couple moving from Oregon to Laurel.   I loved everything Erin and Ben did to that house.   All of the spectacular wood that Ben used in the house, and all of the custom touches were perfect.    The leis the couple gave Ben and Erin were so beautiful. 

The wood and copper bowls are being sold by Laurel Mercantile, for $275 (I think $275).    They're nice, but I'm not paying that much for a bowl, no matter how nice. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4

Did anyone else notice the huge hole in the bottom of the bathtub in the "Woodland Wonderland" house? 

And I am so sad that HGTV has brainwashed Erin and Ben into believing open concept is a good thing. That was I think the second or third time they've done it recently. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

And I am so sad that HGTV has brainwashed Erin and Ben into believing open concept is a good thing. That was I think the second or third time they've done it recently. 

You give the customer what they ask for,

• Love 9

Yes, Erin and Ben give the customer what they ask for. They are not flipping houses. I remember one kitchen where the homeowner didn't want any cabinets with doors in the lower kitchen cabinets, just drawers, so that's what they did. I realize that's not the same as removing a wall, but I don't remember a house where they didn't do what the homeowner wanted.

• Love 3

I would be the homeowner asking for walls to be opened jo.  I live in a small house and it can be claustrophobic.  Even if I moved to another small house it would be as wide open as it possibly could be.  I like the illusion of space that an open floor plan provides.

• Love 2

That was a nice house and I'm glad they didn't do fake drama of the couple trying to "decide" which house they wanted. "This is the house!"  Good for you.  Throughout the years on this show and Fixer Upper I can recall some really cute "storybook" houses that were more "storybook" than this one, but I'm glad they found and loved this one.

I know Erin loves green, and so do I, so I loved the green cabinets in the kitchen.

I need that app that tells you what kind of tree you are looking at. 😉

• Love 1
On 3/7/2021 at 6:02 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

"Woodland Wonderland"  a lovely couple moving from Oregon to Laurel.   I loved everything Erin and Ben did to that house.   All of the spectacular wood that Ben used in the house, and all of the custom touches were perfect.    The leis the couple gave Ben and Erin were so beautiful. 

I really enjoyed this episode too. The homeowners were so warm and just enough quirky. (Who loves hot and humid wet heat!? Loved that B&E said, “well you came to the right place!”) The style of the house and remodel for me didn’t blow me away, just not my style personally, but I loved that it was different than what we normally see. Both Erin and Ben seemed to have so much much fun doing this house and the owners loved it. 

• Love 6

The new homeowners were a darling couple and I liked the remodel as well. Live edge tables seem to be a thing now. It was nice that Ben was able to source it from the Pacific Northwest where they moved from. 

• Love 4
On 3/7/2021 at 9:02 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

The wood and copper bowls are being sold by Laurel Mercantile, for $275 (I think $275).    They're nice, but I'm not paying that much for a bowl, no matter how nice. 

You know, that was one thing I was very unimpressed with. I didn't understand what the big 'to do' was about it and was bored by that segment. lol

• Love 3
2 hours ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

I need that app that tells you what kind of tree you are looking at. 

I don't know if this is the same app that Ben has - but I love this one, and it's free. You can identify not just plants but birds, butterflies...

image.jpeg

• Useful 2
On 3/8/2021 at 8:36 PM, Grrarrggh said:

Did anyone else notice the huge hole in the bottom of the bathtub in the "Woodland Wonderland" house? 

I hate open concept!  But Erin is on record saying she doesn't like it either, so maybe its the request of the homeowner?

• Love 3
On 3/7/2021 at 6:02 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I looked at them. My husband loves all things copper. But yes, way too expensive.  If they had smaller bowls I might consider it.  I will have to check out the woman's website (if she has one.)

4 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

You know, that was one thing I was very unimpressed with. I didn't understand what the big 'to do' was about it and was bored by that segment. lol

Me, too.  I didn't care for those bowls at all and I usually love copper.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

Same here. I wasn't necessarily bored by the segment, but I wasn't much a fan of the bowls. The main thing I kept thinking about was how do you keep dirt/food bits/dust/cat hair etc. from getting stuck beneath the copper or around the little nails/rivets? There's a reason why food serving dishes are usually solid surface. 

On 3/8/2021 at 9:36 PM, Grrarrggh said:

I was also wondering about that. I mean, clearly it must not have been the whole bathtub, or something?? But it was so bizarre looking, and they didn't say anything about it. 

• Love 2