Type keyword(s) to search

Home Town - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Another episode where we don't get to see the bedrooms or bathrooms.  It's always just the living/dining/kitchen and 'entertaining' space.  The buyers certainly must see all of the house before they buy.  I wish we could.

They end up with a lovely open area for all to see, but then they have the bedrooms and bathroom(s) to renovate when they don't have any money left. 🙄

And what about garages, which are very important to the man of the house.  They showed these new doctors to the town two houses.  Not sure about the second one, which was the one they chose, but the first tiny house had a carport.  He didn't say a thing about that.  My husband would have had to have a garage.  Even if you don't put your car away, it's a great place to store things and to have a workshop.

• Love 1

I don’t think the historic homes they feature tend to have garages.  I noticed a lot of carports and sometimes a shed/ workshop in the backyard.

There have been plenty of episodes where they do a master suite.  It just depends on the preference of the homeowners, and how much money they have.  Also, there is only so much they can fit into each episode.  If you take out the commercials there is only around 45 minutes of running time.

My guess is that the secondary bedrooms mostly just need paint and new light fixtures.  That is easy and affordable enough to do.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

Seriously? It's 2020....

What's your meaning?  My husband loves the garage, as do I.  It's where we store a lot of things, where he has his fishing gear and tools, and where there's even room for a car.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, DonnaMae said:

What's your meaning?  My husband loves the garage, as do I.  It's where we store a lot of things, where he has his fishing gear and tools, and where there's even room for a car.

Not the original poster, but I presume the issue was the same one that struck me: "man of the house." In many homes, including ones on this show, there certainly is no "man of the house," so gendering the notion of a garage having import (to men) seems an out of date construction in 2020 (and, frankly, likely was in earlier times, too).

(If that wasn't the poster's issue, I shall stand corrected.)

• Love 6
17 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

Seriously? It's 2020....

LOL...as a single woman a garage was very important to me when I was buying a house.  I despise having to get out in the weather to get to my car (although right now said garage is so cluttered with my daughter's stuff from college (and we haven't even finished cleaning out her apartment) that I don't have a chance of getting my car in it...but I will!

• Love 3

I don't think Ben and Erin will run out of houses in Laurel to fix up. There are 77 homes for sale in Laurel and well over half of those need a lot of help.  But, they might run out of people that are willing to live there.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I like attached garages for a safe place to park, and somewhere to keep the taller step ladders, and other stuff.     

Not only are there people in Laurel, and that area buying and improving houses, but outsiders are retiring there, and moving there for work too.    I think over half of the buyers are either moving back home for retirement, or a vacation home that will eventually be for retirement, but a lot have been moving there for jobs.  

• Love 1
9 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

I don't think Ben and Erin will run out of houses in Laurel to fix up. There are 77 homes for sale in Laurel and well over half of those need a lot of help.  But, they might run out of people that are willing to live there.

Not to mention that the houses keep getting blown away by tornadoes.

• Love 2

I don't care one way or another about garages but my mechanic husband sure does. Our forever home had to have at least the same 2 car DETACHED garage as the house we sold, or larger. It was a difficult find in our budget. A lot of welding goes on and he stores tanks of acetylene in there so it would be far too dangerous to have an attached garage, not to mention the fumes. All the new builds here have a 2 car ( think tiny Honda) wide garage but very shallow depth as it doesn't extend to the back of the house. Not very practical imo. But even an attached garage is better than none, imo.

Live in Mississippi? Ben and Erin seem nice, but hell, no. US News & World Report ranks the state 48/50. Here’s why:

HEALTH CARE: 50

EDUCATION: 46

ECONOMY: 48

INFRASTRUCTURE: 45

OPPORTUNITY: 44

FISCAL STABILITY: 44

CRIME & CORRECTIONS: 26

NATURAL ENVIRONMENT: 11

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
17 hours ago, buttersister said:

Live in Mississippi? Ben and Erin seem nice, but hell, no. US News & World Report ranks the state 48/50. Here’s why:

HEALTH CARE: 50

EDUCATION: 46

ECONOMY: 48

INFRASTRUCTURE: 45

OPPORTUNITY: 44

FISCAL STABILITY: 44

CRIME & CORRECTIONS: 26

NATURAL ENVIRONMENT: 11

Plus, Laurel’s schools get an F rating. I notice they rarely have families with elementary kids. I wonder what Erin and Ben will do in a few years. 

(Full disclosure: I’m a public school teacher, so I know school gradings don’t show the whole picture. In Laurel’s case, I would guess high poverty and a high percentage of English learners are a big reason for low test scores. I just wonder how many of Erin and Ben’s friends send their kids to the local public school. I would guess not many.)

• Love 2
13 hours ago, irisheyes said:

In Laurel’s case, I would guess high poverty and a high percentage of English learners are a big reason for low test scores. 

Does Laurel have a huge immigrant population? I'd not think they'd have a booming economy to support that. Ben and Erin are both college- educated and I'd think a  good school district would be a priority. I've never been to Mississippi and Laurel looks lovely but the heat, humidity, and tornadoes would make it a hard pass.

• Love 2
(edited)

Sanderson Farms has a large chicken processing plant in Laurel.  There was a big ICE raid there last year.  So yes, I think there is a sizeable immigrant population in the area. 

In some ways , Laurel is like two separate towns.  There’s the one you see on Home Town with the picturesque historic district and revitalized downtown core, and the lower income neighborhoods which you don’t see. As in most cities, the schools in the poorer parts of town tend to be underperforming and bring the test scores for the whole city down.  I’m guessing the school(s) in the historic district are fine.  I think they may even have a magnet school. 
Personally, the humidity, and likelihood of severe weather would keep me from moving to that part of the country.  But then again I live in Southern Nevada and lots of people don’t understand how we survive the summers here. Different strokes, I guess.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

If you don't want to live in a humid climate, stay west of the Rockies.  Yes, it gets hot out here, but the dry heat is easier to live with.  My daughter recently moved to San Antonio where the weather is great in the winter, but she says the humidity is pretty bad in the summer.  I didn't know that Texas gets humid.

1 hour ago, DonnaMae said:

If you don't want to live in a humid climate, stay west of the Rockies.  Yes, it gets hot out here, but the dry heat is easier to live with.  My daughter recently moved to San Antonio where the weather is great in the winter, but she says the humidity is pretty bad in the summer.  I didn't know that Texas gets humid.

My son moved from Brooklyn to Austin over 5 years ago and loves it there! Yes, it gets darn hot but Austin is pretty dry. He often drives to Houston for business and says the closer you get to Houston, the humidity increases tremendously due to its being right on the Gulf.  So, even a 3 hour drive away the climate is vastly different. San Antonio in March is delightful but I've never been there any other time of the year.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

Ben and Erin are both college- educated and I'd think a  good school district would be a priority. 

There are two private schools, both Christian. No doubt that is what they are going to use. 

(edited)

The county (Jones County) is a decent school system, but Laurel City schools (superintendent is Dr. Toy Watts, from the huge house with great kitchen, after Erin finished with it) have been struggling.    The city magnet school (whatever it's called) was totally trashed by the tornado that hit the historic district, and they had to find another location for the students.   

Some of the home remodels (the retired anesthesiologist with the green house, and the cool porch and screen door designs) are in poorer neighborhoods.    The anesthesiologist home was the first on that street to be remodeled, and virtually every other home on that street has been fixed up, and some copied the porch, and screen door design.       The house they redid for the Hollywood actor at the beginning of the season, that was hit by the tornado, was in a poorer neighborhood.    The repairs on that home was supposed to be the season finale, hopefully they can have the huge watch party in Laurel by then.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Yay! More overpriced crap to buy! 🙄

Yes, the candles are pricey but they are made here in Starkville, MS by Aspen Bay which has recently changed it's name to Curio. The first fall I was here we were driving through one of the Industrial parks and there were this huge line of people waiting in line to get into this one building. We wondered what it was and stopped to ask someone in line...it was for the warehouse sale of their candles. People had been waiting for hours and hours! Just saw on their Facebook page there was a warehouse sale the middle of November. They make candles for many different companies....Magnolia Farms included and the prices are all high! So these candles are not crap...I bought one when I was in Laurel and the smell is wonderful and lasts and lasts.

Edited by suebee12
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Home Town is a home improvement show. Do not use it as a jumping off point to discuss various "red state" or "blue state" issues as political commentary is off limits at Primetimer.

Also a reminder that we have a Be Civil policy here. This is not the place where it's OK to make things personal with other members.

I wonder if Erin and Ben and their partners are starting to get a bit anxious about their business.  I know she has been posting on Instagram about how many orders they have been getting, and I do admire their dedication to stocking made in America items, but as you can see from the price of the candles, American made goods cost more.

If we do have a lasting economic impact from this pandemic, the number of tourists who go to Laurel and visit the store will decrease, and people may not have as much discretionary income to buy their merchandise online. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, suebee12 said:

Yes, the candles are pricey but they are made here in Starkville, MS by Aspen Bay which has recently changed it's name to Curio. The first fall I was here we were driving through one of the Industrial parks and there were this huge line of people waiting in line to get into this one building. We wondered what it was and stopped to ask someone in line...it was for the warehouse sale of their candles. People had been waiting for hours and hours! Just saw on their Facebook page there was a warehouse sale the middle of November. They make candles for many different companies....Magnolia Farms included and the prices are all high! So these candles are not crap...I bought one when I was in Laurel and the smell is wonderful and lasts and lasts.

I used the term “crap” in the sense of “stuff.” Not a comment on the quality. At least it is American made overpriced crap. 😏

• Love 4
(edited)

Re Merch

Not the biggest fan of Chip & Jojo. but I do admire how they helped Waco - much like The Beekman Boys did for Sharon Springs yrs earlier.

I hope Ben & Erin help can give that same boost to Laurel

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Love 3
(edited)

Former Mississipian here, and all of my family still live there (not far from Laurel, and one in Jackson) and in Louisiana. Three public school teachers, including one principal, currently in the family.

Guess where they send their kids to school? Private academies, which grew like weeds after integration. One cousin apologized because she had to send her kids to public high school after she and her husband lost their jobs in the last recession. It's. Just. Not. Done.

I'm not sure if there are any "good" public school districts in MS. I haven't talked to my family about it in a while.

The choices are private Christian and private prep. Not defending it, just saying how it really is.

ETA also perhaps charter schools.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

The choices are private Christian and private prep. Not defending it, just saying how it really is.

That was pretty much the situation in Louisiana when we lived there as well. Even my black co-workers sent their children to private schools.

I really like Erin and Ben; this is a nice, easy-to-take show.  But it can get boring (to me, at least) when it is on for hours at least one day a week.  Then again, that goes for a good many of the "flip" shows.  

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Bizarre that there's one $1 million plus place in Laurel, and in other places that would be a starter home.   

Starter home? It’s 154 acres (with a lake). The house looks really nice inside.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Yes, somewhere like NYC or LA, for that price it would be a tiny 1 or 2 bed, 1 bath fixer upper, maybe not even with parking.  

I really liked the house.  

Oh, you mean the price would be for a starter home somewhere else. Yes, I agree with that.

• Love 1
(edited)

I fixed it.    Yes, other places $1 million would be a price for a tiny apartment, probably without parking, in NYC or LA.   But in Laurel it's a huge acreage, and a magnificent house. 

I'm watching the rerun of the two people living in the woman's parents' guest house, and they buy the house next door.   Then when they go to the second, obviously the decoy house, they don't even want to go inside.   The decoy house was the home right next to a mechanic's shop.    I think it also had a shopping center right across the street too.    I wouldn't have gone in that one either.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I fixed it.    Yes, other places $1 million would be a price for a tiny apartment, probably withoutt parking, in NYC or LA.   But in Laurel it's a huge acreage, and a magnificent house. 

I do wonder though how many jobs in Laurel or within 45 minutes pay enough to afford that house? I wonder if the people living there, or the future buyers, have family money or are moving from somewhere else. 

(edited)

I really enjoyed the little house episode (the Register house, that was the great-grandmother's home, and moved to a better location on the family property)  with Ben and Erin talking about the things we didn't see.     I loved seeing Mallorie, and the baby.     

The dog Renee is walking at the beginning of the episode is Ben and Erin's older dog.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

I recently started to watch Home Town and I've enjoyed it. Erin and Ben are pleasant to watch - sure Erin can be a little cutesy but she and Ben's positive vibe is nice to see. Most of the renos are really good and I like that Erin tries to take the owner's style into consideration versus just decorating the same way time after time. Ben is the calmest person ever - he's steady like a rock.

My only gripe (and this is not isolated to Home Town, it's for most of the home reno shows) is that these shows tend to leave only 5-7 minutes to reveal the finished product. I know the show is about the process, the bumps in the road, etc. but I would really like to see a more detailed reveal. I feel like they breeze through the reveal rather quickly. The changes are usually a lot to take in and I'd love some more time spent on them. Just my humble opinion. 

• Love 10
22 minutes ago, hookedontv said:

My only gripe (and this is not isolated to Home Town, it's for most of the home reno shows) is that these shows tend to leave only 5-7 minutes to reveal the finished product. I know the show is about the process, the bumps in the road, etc. but I would really like to see a more detailed reveal. I feel like they breeze through the reveal rather quickly. The changes are usually a lot to take in and I'd love some more time spent on them. Just my humble opinion. 

That has long been my pet peeve with all the reno shows.  Hey, we've spent an hour on the process!  I want more than a few minutes of zooming camera shots and cuts to take in the finished product!!

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, hookedontv said:

I totally agree with you and I'm sure many other viewers do as well. I save the shows I like to the DVR and watch them at my leisure. While watching some shows (not Home Town) I fast forward through most of the demo and reno just to see the finished product. Erin and Ben seldom disappoint.

• Love 6
(edited)

I have really enjoyed the extra commentary, and tidbits they put into the Watch Party episodes, with Erin & Ben at home on the couch narrating.     

Monday the 25th, at 8 p.m.- 9;30 p.m. central is a new episode, including renovating rental properties for a couple, and they're renovating an Airstream trailer.  That sounds like fun.    I really hope they can have a watch party of some kind in Laurel for the season ending episode (I think it's supposed to be the repair of the Jones house that was damaged by the tornado right after they finished it). 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
(edited)

The airstream is something different, can't wait to see if Ben will be as clever a carpenter in a super small space as Zack, from Tiny House Nation. LOL!

Edited by buttersister
When I saw it quoted I realized I typed the show’s name wrong.
  • Love 1

I'm watching the Pastor Luke episode. I love the house, particularly the den they created which was perfect for him. However, I have one nitpik. They took broken chunks of concrete surrounded by pea gravel to re-do the front walkway. But, they didn't put down a weed barrier, just put it directly on dirt. Speaking from experience, Luke is going to spend a lot of time picking weeds out of that gravel.

• Love 5
On 5/24/2020 at 4:17 PM, buttersister said:

The airstream is something different, can't wait to see if Ben will be as clever a carpenter in a super small space as Zack, from Tiny House Living. LOL!

I just discovered this show. Makes me wonder what planet I've been living on since this show has been around for years!

However, I really like this show and the couple. I like the idea of using repurposed items for the homes. And the homes are a perfect size for me. 

• Love 1

I binged the latest season over the past couple of days.

Read an article about Erin in Southern Living magazine, in which she once again goes on, at length, about how she suffered from anxiety as a child. She also once again plugs her friend Mallorie's business. The magazine devoted some time to the woman who actually originated the "save Laurel" campaign, of which Ben and Erin are one of many involved. I think one of the earlier HT episodes showed us this woman briefly.

Erin's on-screen contribution to each episode seems to be limited to talking heads with Ben and bouncing around the construction area, exclaiming about how excited she is. Or her simplistic "paintings." I know she is talented - love her aesthetic - and works hard, but I'm put off by her nervous mannerisms. A little of her goes a long way. Ben and even the crews are the more natural on-screen presences.

I love Airstreams - my parents had one for a while, until we tried to spend southern summers in it, and decamped to motels with AC - but I wanted less of the Airstream and more about that loft. Will those empty nesters really climb up and down the stairs every day later in their lives, or will this loft really only be a pied-a-terre, or an ABnB property?

• Love 3

I love the loft! It is gorgeous and the fireplace is a work of art! That headboard was not only beautiful but different in a good way! The one thing that I noticed that I feel was missing was fans on the rooftop deck! It is hot and sticky in MS in the summer but if you have air moving, it feels much better plus it keeps the bugs away....well, it at least helps!

I like Erin and I do think that she does quite a bit of the work. I read her blog from the very beginning before the show became a reality so I realized how nervous she was. Yes, Ben spoils her but that is his thing so let him do it. Plus she is quite a bit younger than her brother Clark so you know she was spoiled....let her enjoy it. I guess since I grew up in the south it is a way of life and seems quite normal to me!

I love this show and I am making sure that I don't watch the marathons since I don't want to grow tired of it. I am enjoying the "special" shows they have been doing with all the background stuff but I will draw the line at watching them all the time or they will become like Fixer Upper where I know the dialogue word for word!

• Love 6