Type keyword(s) to search

Home Town - General Discussion

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

If not the home inspector, then the termite inspection should have found the damages under the house.   The damage was so obvious even from the small screen.    I wonder if a termite inspection was skipped?     Since the homeowner bought before applying for the show, then it's certainly not on Ben or Erin.   I know having a huge bath is common now, but I would have kept two bathrooms, even though they were small.    If the homeowner was willing to go with one bath, then the first house would have been a better deal.   

Really. I couldn’t believe they got rid of one bathroom. If the HH has guests, they will have to use her en suite bathroom. I don’t see why bathrooms have to be the size of a bedroom now. 

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

Really. I couldn’t believe they got rid of one bathroom. If the HH has guests, they will have to use her en suite bathroom. I don’t see why bathrooms have to be the size of a bedroom now. 

The house still has two bathrooms, apparently they didn’t have time to show that because of the termite situation.

(edited)

So it was really a three bath house?   Because on rewatching, they found the termites by taking the wall down between the two original bathrooms, to combine them to the master bath.   And there was another full door on the hall side to the master bath too.     It's so confusing to see the before and after, I wish there was a 3-d floor plan of before and after.  

I'm wondering if the house was a cash purchase?   In that case, no appraisal or inspections required by a bank, since there isn't one.   Just because someone claims they're a home inspector, doesn't mean they're competent.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

I don't know about Mississippi, but when we bought houses in Louisiana and Georgia they had to pass a termite inspection before the bank would grant the mortgage approval. We had to present a "termite letter" at the closings, even when refinancing.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Marmiarmo said:

The house still has two bathrooms, apparently they didn’t have time to show that because of the termite situation.

I thought they said it was a two bathroom house. Where was the third bathroom?

Sad news:  John Combe, the "Belize Guy" died on Saturday.  He was only 70.  Erin did not say if it was Covid related.

Tonight is the last new episode until May 25, when Home Town will return for the last 3 episodes of the season.

(edited)

My cable guide says next Monday there is a new episode, 13 April, but at 7 p.m. CDT, 8 p.m. EDT, so with the updated information, my guess is it will be a rerun.     They're having that Celebrity home makeover show at 8 p.m.

I wonder if they moved everything up so they can have the final episode viewing party in June?   

Erin caught some kind of virus, when she went to New York for the Today show (or one of the morning shows), and if she seems a little tired, that could be why.     

That's such bad news about John Combe.   He seemed like a wonderful person.    When people say that someone had a life well lived, then they were describing John Combe.   

I love the house last night.    I think moving was the right decision.   If they had put another story on the original house, it wouldn't have been in keeping with the neighborhood.      I loved everything Erin did.      

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
(edited)

As always, they did a beautiful job last night.  I did really like the back splash tile and the built in china cabinet.  However, the dining room wallpaper was too busy for my liking. Between the kitchen cabinets and the built in bookcase in the den there was just too much blue for my taste.

Erin tweeted and posted on Instagram about the next new episode being on May 25.  But during the show there was a pop-up that said there was an all new episode next week.  I guess I will just have to tune in to see what happens.  

ETA:  I watched the Erin'spired video about this episode, and she did say that the homeowner loved blue and white.  So she definitely was giving her what she wanted.  

Edited by 3 is enough
1 hour ago, LittleIggy said:

I didn’t like the blue shutters on the house. As for the busy wallpaper, one accent wall of it would have been enough. Otherwise, I liked the remodel.

I thought it was odd that the blue shutters didn't match the blue awning. The different shades of blue just clashed to me. The shutters would have looked better with the darker blue.

And that wallpaper? OMG! That huge print in the dining room was so 1980s. Trust me on that...the spec homes in my neighborhood were built in 1985-1988 and builders used that busy flowered style wallpaper in all dining rooms. Thankfully, we bought our house before wallpaper was installed and I avoided it.

• Love 2

I think the matching shutters, and awnings might have been too much, and the awnings will probably fade eventually anyway.      I bet the homeowner picked the wallpaper in this one case, because Erin has used so little wall paper before, that an entire room like the dining room, wouldn't be her style.    

• Love 1
22 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I didn’t like the blue shutters on the house. As for the busy wallpaper, one accent wall of it would have been enough. Otherwise, I liked the remodel.

I hate "accent walls". Dining rooms in older styled houses should have wallpaper, and bold wallpaper at that. 

9 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

The wife’s “Oh my gawwwwwshs” got on my nerves. BTW, am I the only one who doesn’t really care for Erin? ::ducks for cover::

And then the wife added, "I looooove it!" She said,"Oh my gawwwwwwsh, I looooove it" over and over again, about every room, every feature in the house. It was so annoying.

• Love 3

We were watching the Weather Channel and saw that. We have family and friends in Alabama. My husband said, oh no, not Laurel again. As if we all aren't going through enough. Hard to put up shelters when we need to stay away from each other. 😧

• Love 1

I loved last night's episode.    The couple moving back from the Cayman Islands were so cute.     I loved watching the guitar building too.      

From what I read, Soso, MS, near Laurel is totally devastated, and Jones County has a lot of damage, but outside of Laurel.     

It takes a while from ordering, to installation to screen in a porch, so I suspect a lot of the covered patios and porches get screened in, but after filming the episode.  

They lost a lot of trees in the historic district in Laurel during the first tornado.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1

While watching this episode, all I could think of was how many of those beautiful oaks along the streets were not there anymore!( I just watched the first show from this year after the December hurricane hit.) This latest storm was awful and even though it didn't hit Laurel directly, I think there was still lots of tree damage in the area. Soso only has 400ish people and from what I have read and seen everyone was affected. We were lucky here in Starkville...just lots of wind and rain but I bet Jones county quivers if it even rains a bit now.

I really love how each house that Erin does...no cookie cutters for her. I really like how they enclosed that staircase...it looked dangerous before. The backyard looked nice but again, this is Mississippi with many,many bugs and heat and humidity. I would want a screened in area with fans so that I wouldn't be targeted by the mosquitoes and temperatures!!!

Edited by suebee12
  • Love 4

I've been watching this show a lot, as it seems to be the only show HGTV is airing.  I like the show well enough, and like that the houses don't all start to look the same.  One thing I wondered and is never mentioned - do they put ac in any of these houses?  If I lived somewhere that hot and humid and my house was getting totally overhauled, I would definitely have them put in ac.

My mom also pointed out that they never show bedrooms in the reveal, which I had never noticed.  I wonder why that is.

25 minutes ago, hilaryvm said:

One thing I wondered and is never mentioned - do they put ac in any of these houses? 

25 minutes ago, hilaryvm said:

My mom also pointed out that they never show bedrooms in the reveal, which I had never noticed. 

Yes to both questions! Just depends on what is emphasized in each show. They always add or improve the AC....if the house doesn't have air,   feel sorry for Ben...he is soppy wet.

• Love 1

This was my question.  I've been watching a lot of episodes lately.  Is all of the furniture, silverware, dinnerware, and knick knacks staging?

What about lighting? sconces, chandeliers, etc?

1 hour ago, hilaryvm said:

My mom also pointed out that they never show bedrooms in the reveal, which I had never noticed.  I wonder why that is.

That seems to be mostly in the large houses.  I guess they just renovate the rooms that need it the most, such as the kitchen and living area.  They don't always redo the bathrooms, but I wish they'd show them.

Actually, Erin and Ben most often do show the bedrooms, especially the master bedroom and children’s rooms. They do a great job and I really enjoy their sweet show.

• Love 5
41 minutes ago, NYGirl said:

This was my question.  I've been watching a lot of episodes lately.  Is all of the furniture, silverware, dinnerware, and knick knacks staging?

What about lighting? sconces, chandeliers, etc?

Anything permanently fixed such as chandeliers, sconces, kitchen appliances stay with the house. And Ben does make custom furniture pieces for buyers.

ETA: I suppose some home buyers might give them a budget for furnishings and decorating items. I'd trust Erin's taste.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 3

My understanding is that the staging furniture is available to the homeowners at a discount.  I think a lot of it comes from a local furniture store.  A lot of the smaller decorative items come from Ben and Erin's store.  Anything that is made specifically for the show- furniture, paintings, curtains, and so on stays.  If Erin uses the homeowners' own things they usually mention it- in the episode with the single pastor they did use a lot of his own furniture.

They always do HVAC work if needed, but they just don't show it because there is only so much than can show in an hour.

As far as the rooms go, they do as many as they can with the budget they have. Sometimes that includes a bedroom and bath, sometimes it doesn't.

• Love 2

I suspect that the staging furniture comes from Lott Furniture.   They're local, they're also the showroom for Ben and Erin's furniture line.    The the daughter, or granddaughter (some relative at least)  is the one who wanted the house with the book nook.     I like that Erin uses some of the home owner's furniture too, when they have some available.     The pastor who was color blind, had family pieces they used.  

Does Erin have a degree in Design? She's so knowledgeable about design circas. She knows exactly what she wants when she sees the house because she visualizes it in the style she thinks works best. And then Ben builds what they need. I'm very impressed with both of them.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Rhetorica said:

Does Erin have a degree in Design? She's so knowledgeable about design circas. She knows exactly what she wants when she sees the house because she visualizes it in the style she thinks works best. And then Ben builds what they need. I'm very impressed with both of them.

What do you mean by “design circus”? That’s a new term for me

Just now, Gam2 said:

I hate auto correct! What I was trying to say was “design circas”.

3 minutes ago, Gam2 said:

I hate auto correct! What I was trying to say was “design circas”.

Ha! Damn you autocorrect!!!

I meant a time in history that had a specific look. Like, Art Deco, Danish Modern, Farmhouse Chic. She's named several at the beginning of the episodes and knows exactly what she's doing. I don't have a degree in Design but I like the history of it and appreciate people who know. 

• Love 1

I just started watching this show on Hulu. I guess it's the first season. I like their style. My biggest annoyance is:

Why does he always have his arm around her shoulders?! This is driving me nuts. Especially when he has his sweaty armpits on her shoulder. Or they are holding hands. It's like the shows where couple's tour a house and they are holding hands all the way through it. What's up with that? It makes me think of some kind of controlling abuse thing.

Anyway, I do enjoy the show. 

1 hour ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I just started watching this show on Hulu. I guess it's the first season. I like their style. My biggest annoyance is:

Why does he always have his arm around her shoulders?! This is driving me nuts. Especially when he has his sweaty armpits on her shoulder. Or they are holding hands. It's like the shows where couple's tour a house and they are holding hands all the way through it. What's up with that? It makes me think of some kind of controlling abuse thing.

Anyway, I do enjoy the show. 

I don't know - maybe they truly like one another?  The first season I think she was, quite honestly, nervous and frightened most of the time - personally I really didn't care for her.  She has improved every season and become more personable and open.  I think she really leaned on Ben (literally and physically) the first season because he is obviously the more comfortable on camera.

Y'all - I have changed my opinion of Erin so please don't read into this that I don't like her NOW - but the first season I didn't think the show was that great. I'm a huge fan now.

• Love 4

I've read Erin didn't feel comfortable on camera, so having Ben hold her was comforting. This show came to be because someone at the network read her blog, and decided it would make a good show. Many shows start that way. Being a blogger doesn't always translate to being good on camera.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, RoxiP said:

I don't know - maybe they truly like one another?  The first season I think she was, quite honestly, nervous and frightened most of the time - personally I really didn't care for her.  She has improved every season and become more personable and open.  I think she really leaned on Ben (literally and physically) the first season because he is obviously the more comfortable on camera.

Y'all - I have changed my opinion of Erin so please don't read into this that I don't like her NOW - but the first season I didn't think the show was that great. I'm a huge fan now.

So what if you didn’t like her. I don’t care much for Erin. I find her rather cloying. If it weren’t for Ben, I wouldn’t have started watching this season.