Type keyword(s) to search

Home Town - General Discussion

• Start Topic

42 minutes ago, izabella said:

It's very weird that it would have such a nice staircase in the living room right by the front door without it going to an actual room.  You can probably store stuff up there, and maybe even make a small bedroom or playroom, if they could finish it out in the future. 

My preference would be to remove the staircase and put in fold-down stairs to the attic, especially if it's only going to be used for storage. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I loved that woven headboard Ben and that lady made. As for Erin’s sticks and ripped up flag wall hanging, I would be like, “Oh, that’s nice” and mentally figuring how long I would need to keep it up to be polite before moving it. 😏

They said the house had two bedrooms and two bathrooms. Wonder where the other bedroom and bath were. I thought that stairway to the unfinished attic was an odd feature. Seemed like a waste of space.

I have a staircase up to my unfinished attic - great  convenience to have if you use it for storage

Plus too to have if one day you decide  to finish it or just have it for add'l  place for guests .

• Love 4

The second staircase was the former outside entrance to the attic, that was removed to enlarge the kitchen (I think the kitchen was an addition).   That was that weird staircase with a door at the bottom, that was blocked at the top.     I wonder if the original owner intended to finish the top for a rental apartment?   Or for a family member.     

I liked the house, and the kitchen, but I loved the master bedroom and bath.  

• Love 2

I didn't see the manse episode, but looking at what HGTV had on line, they said the money for the renovations came from friends and other churches. They seemed to indicate they were trying to revitalize the church. I looked up the church. They belong to a Presbyterian convention I'm not familiar with, not the one the 2 Presbyterian churches I went to were part of, which I would describe as traditional. Maybe some of the money came from other churches in their convention, 

• Love 1

House for the scuba-diving lady: did not love the gray on the exterior. Maybe a cheerier or even navy blue would have been better?

Kitchen was gorgeous, as usual. I've toyed with the the idea of black countertops (matte, not shiny). I also liked the subway tile. Erin said it wasn't that expensive that they didn't have to use spacers. Interesting.  Too bad there was that step-down into the family room ... that made it so that you really can't use the other side of the kitchen peninsula. I did LOVE the family room, though. What a great space.

I'm assuming the baking soda cleaning treatment on that floor took care of the cat urine smell? I liked how the guy said that bleach and ammonia are dangerous to mix. Would there really be enough ammonia in residual cat urine to cause a bad reaction? Best to not find out.

• Love 1
On 2/11/2020 at 2:24 PM, sheetmoss said:

I have a staircase up to my unfinished attic - great  convenience to have if you use it for storage

Plus too to have if one day you decide  to finish it or just have it for add'l  place for guests .

That's the one thing I would asked for them to do,  finish that attic space and make it usable.

I do love that each house that Erin does is unique,  she certainly is not a one trick pony like the incomprehensibly popular Joanne.

• Love 12

I like that Erin and Ben try to stay true to the period of the house. They like separate rooms and they don't paint everything gray and put up barn doors. Their homes have so much more character than the farmhouse lady. 

• Love 9

I bet one reason they did finish the stairs so nicely is for a future remodel in the attic area.   They have said before that they only do a certain number of rooms on some remodels, and others have part of the house that waits for a later remodel, and for more money. 

• Love 4

I really like this show. The new episode tonight with the guy moving from Belize with an unlimited budget was a hoot. It cracked me up when Ben was waving to the Amtrak train from his workshop. I've taken the Crescent from DC to NOLA and back 4 times. It's a 26 hour trip, and includes a stop in Laurel. 

Chessiegal (I didn't want to do two posts, so I did a copy and paste instead of a real quotation)     "It cracked me up when Ben was waving to the Amtrak train from his workshop. I've taken the Crescent from DC to NOLA and back 4 times. It's a 26 hour trip, and includes a stop in Laurel. "

I bet the next time anyone from the forum, or just Home Town viewers go on the Crescent through Laurel, they'll be looking to see if Ben is waving.    

I loved them having an unlimited budget, and what they did with it.     The home owner was great, and so much fun.    I loved everything they did, and I was had a hard time fighting back the tears when they showed him the family pictures.     I think the upstairs only needed cosmetic changes, so that's why they didn't show the upstairs.   Or else they finished the downstairs first, and will do any minor stuff upstairs at their leisure.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

I was surprised to see the Belize episode on Demand. I watched it this morning. I have to keep reminding myself that they can get these homes for such low prices because of basically free labor.  I thought this show oly came on Mondays . 

A screened in porch!!!!!!! Finally, and what a grand porch at that. That fan should keep the air flowing and think no bugs! I loved the whole house and would move in in a New York minute...or maybe a Mississippi minute! Ben's chair was amazing....looked like it came from a Frank Lloyd Wright house. I don't think I would have ever chosen that particular wallpaper but the way it was used was perfect.

• Love 7

You can tell the Southerners on this show, they want a screened in porch, or want to screen the porch in after they get some money available.     The others that don't want screened porches, either live somewhere without mosquito swarms, or are some of the lucky ones that mosquitoes don't love.   

My guess is that the ones with the huge patio doors screen in the patios when they can afford it.  

I loved the house last night, and I wish all of the people on House Hunters that keep saying a home is a craftsman would see this episode.  Then realize that true craftsman homes are a distinctive, attractive style, and really do have a type.     I love everything Ben and Erin did to this home.     The home in Collins, MS was a nice one, but too far from Laurel if that's where you want to be.  

I saw the rerun of the Church house, and looked at the minister's wife through the reveal.   She loved the living room, kitchen, but everyone was right, she didn't like the pews for the dining table.   I bet she knows the husband will invite huge groups over for meals.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4

I still smirk every time I see a designer put in one of those huge folding patio doors (I think even Ben and Erin have done at least one) - nobody in the south is going to open those doors except for a very short period of time maybe in April or October (okay, maybe that's here in Texas) - most of the other time it is too darned hot and there are way too many mosquitoes!

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

Belize guy: I hope someone buys that other house (with the indoor fountain). I would like to see it fixed up. 
Helpful hint: If you are going to be on HT and your episode is taped in the summer,   don’t wear a light blue (or just about any color) shirt. Just stick to white! 😆

• Love 2

The finished Craftsman was so beautiful. (I have one - not finished, not beautiful yet.) It was larger than it appeared from the street. I love Erin's use of color. And at first I hated the wallpaper (while appreciating its ties to Arts & Crafts design), but it really worked in that hutch.

Must get the name of the powder that neutralizes the lead from old paint. I have miles of scraping to do.

You can tell the Southerners on this show, they want a screened in porch,

With a fan.

I watched very closely when they talked about the asbestos in old floor materials as I've wondered why they never address it. Erin said they tested the top layer, but it appeared they were surprised to find another layer of old tile below that while they were in production. Did they test it as well and not tell us? Because they used a powerful machine to just scrape it all up without any asbestos mitigation. (I have three layers of tile over original wood floors. Must find a machine like that. And a guy to operate it. I've been on my hands and knees.)

It was fun to see the wood floor guy celebrate laying down expensive oak floors. He was tickled to death.

It is just killing me that the fabulous Belize-guy house cost less than a small 1960s condo where I live. My MS family cannot believe what contractors charge for renos up here.

Finally read the Southern Living article, which is about the larger save-Laurel team. When I lived down there, there were no jobs. My relative told me recently that Hattiesburg and the surrounding towns are thriving. (She also said that LaureL has had very high crime rates.) This makes me so happy because my entire life south MS has been very depressed economically and the butt of so many jokes.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 3

I was out of town and finally caught up with the episodes I missed. 

I did not like the art with rope and canvas Erin made for the scuba diving lady, but the house was nice.  Erin sure does love rustic looking tile with imperfect edges, doesn't she?  I think I prefer my tile to be level.

The Belize guy was very entertaining.  I liked what they did with his house.  Having no budget must have seemed very odd for Erin and Ben.  

The Craftsman was also lovely.  I liked the hutch and the chair Ben made.  

The season finale is May 11.  This week appears to be a filler episode where they talk about their favourite porches.  Since there are 9 episodes left and 12 weeks till the finale, I wonder if this counts as one of the new episodes, or if we will see 9 more houses.

• Love 1

They replayed the episode with the house inherited by the young woman again last night. This is my favorite episode so far.  Erin talked about having the two-toned house, but didn't explain why they did that. I'd bet it was because the original house had a narrow clapboard but the porch, which had been enclosed later, had a wide clapboard. With the whole house the same color, it made it look odd to have mismatched clapboards. But by painting the two clapboard styles different colors, it highlighted the difference and made it look very intentional. Brilliant solution!

Edited by absolutelyido
  • Love 3

Tonight at 8 (7 Central) they are rerunning the episode with the couple from Quebec with added pop-ups and footage.  Then at 9 it will be the "Favorite Porches" compilation. 

Both episodes are described as "new" in TV Guide.   I am really curious to see if these count as part of the 16 episode season or if they are bonus episodes.  

Next Monday it looks like there is another rerun with added commentary at 8, and then a "new" episode at 9.  No description available for the 9 pm episode though.

Edited by 3 is enough

The "new" episodes that are reruns, have some additional facts put in.       The "new" episodes at 9 eastern/8 central, on Mondays are actually new.   

I love the young woman with her inherited house.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

I watched this show for the first time last night and saw the episode of the 'music' lady whose son was going to live with her.  They showed her bedroom remake, but where was he going to live?  There was only one bathroom.  Was there a separate guest house for him?  And when they make over these houses, do they redo all the rooms?  

1 minute ago, DonnaMae said:

I watched this show for the first time last night and saw the episode of the 'music' lady whose son was going to live with her.  They showed her bedroom remake, but where was he going to live?  There was only one bathroom.  Was there a separate guest house for him?  And when they make over these houses, do they redo all the rooms?  

They showed a 'guest house' in the backyard when they first toured the house and said that was where her son would live. They didn't show it in the reveal, so I'm not sure if it was part of the renovation.

In the episode where they moved the tiny house because it was too close to the client's mother's home, Erin said that they really like doing small houses because they can renovate every room. So, I think in larger homes they only renovate some rooms, depending on the budget.

• Love 2
(edited)

The music woman's garden guest house turned out to be too damaged to save, so Ben said they would have to get another option for him.     

Erin also said on the porch episode, that the retired anesthetist's great porch rail (Candace Keller) has been imitated by many of the neighbors.  Her house was also the first remodeled on on that street, and almost all of the others on her block have been fixed up.  

I loved the new episode this Monday.   The two buyers were so much fun, and I like that they wanted something permanent to come home to.      The painting that the man did of the dogs was wonderful.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

No comments about last night's episode?  I loved the kitchen.  I am a fan of green so I really liked the cabinet colour .  Shows that not everything has to be white/grey.

Not a huge fan of the dog painting.  I can see where the owners might love it but it was too over-the-top for me.  And probably pretty pricey too. The artist was a very unique character.

No apparent backlash over the homeowners this time, thank goodness.  

• Love 2

What would be the backlash over the homeowners?  Something they didn't like about their house?

I agree about the dog painting - wouldn't be my taste but considering this is a vacation home I'm sure they appreciate a little levity and seemed to get the joke.  

Personally I thought the second house was the better option but appreciate that they wanted small and they stuck with it.  I did like them asking for the built-ins in the dining room going all the way to the ceiling - it added a lot of storage potential and also drew your eyes up to the ceiling.

Erin seems so much more relaxed these days - the first few seasons she seemed a lot shyer (and I read an article that stated that she was sort of introverted and quiet) - but now she shows a very quirky and vibrant personality.  She and Ben seem to work well together.

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, RoxiP said:

What would be the backlash over the homeowners? 

Last year they did an episode featuring an engaged (now married) couple who happened to be 2 young women.  Erin promptly received a ton of outraged comments from "fans" on her Instagram account who "thought they were a Godly, Christian couple, and were disappointed that they would encourage this deviant lifestyle".  A lot of them said they were unfollowing her and not watching the show any more. She promptly shut down the comments, and the next day she put up a post saying she was just trying to navigate life the best way she knew how and she was not interested in any debates or politics or having people tear her down.  The comments were off for quite a while.  It was really sad.

• Love 2

I’m not sure why someone would want a vacation house in Laurel, MS.

Ha, yeah, that wasn't quite making sense to me, either. Missed where else they lived (so that Miss. would seem like a great get-away). My sense is that Erin and Ben have tried to widen the circle of homeowners from the white hetero those "Christian" fans accept. They try to demonstrate their humanity instead of positioning it, which for me, is part of their appeal. Also, no cookie-cutter homes.

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

I believe one of the guys has family in Laurel, and they visit a few times a year.

But it isn't the first time they have had people purchase vacation homes in Laurel (the Canadian couple).

I know one of the pushbacks against Chip and Joanne was that they never had an openly gay couple on their show.  I would say maybe gay people don't move to Waco (which is highly southern Baptist) but I know that's not true because a gay couple I know just moved there...LOL!  Quite honestly a couple's sexuality does not concern me so I mind my own business.  As a Christian it isn't our job to judge people  but instead to love them (sorry, not trying to get preachy).  I hate that people react like that.

• Love 8
(edited)

Yes, with the two young women, there were a lot of hateful comments on their FB page.   I didn't even bother to look this time, because I figure it would be the same.   

From the show last night Giorgio, is from Laurel, and the couple visit at least three times a year.    They were staying in hotels, and that was pricey, so for a few years of hotel fees, they now have a home.      I bet they'll retire there too.      

The two men live in Florida.   I DVR'd the show, and caught that this time around.   Erin talked about it when they were removing the "Florida" glass from the sun room (Jalousie windows is what they actually are).

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I didn’t like the dog picture either. Loved the green kitchen.

I’m not sure why someone would want a vacation house in Laurel, MS.

They were living in FL, and one of them was from Laurel. They said they used to come and visit family about once a month, but started coming more often, and wanted to stop renting hotel rooms.

I thought the dog painting was hilarious.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm hoping that someone this season will redo the second house, the one with the huge dining room.  

I love everything Erin, and Ben did to the house.   I was surprised to see who Erin commissioned to paint the dog portrait.    I've heard of him, and his forgeries.    The bathroom was amazing.     I bet the men chose that specific house for the location.   

I loved when Ben borrowed the roofer's ladder, and the roofers were just sitting there, watching the filming.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

I loved the kitchen.  I am a fan of green so I really liked the cabinet colour . 

OMG. I am now dreaming of a green kitchen. I do have dark green cabinets in my basement bar, which I love.  Backsplash was a little too much for me though. I prefer a more neutral backsplash.

The 2nd home they considered was so cute ... I agree that I hope someone else buys it for Erin and Ben to redo.

I love Erin and Ben so much, and on a shallow note, I love her clothes, hair (I like how she switches it up sometimes) and makeup. I would like to know where she gets her clothes and shoes. 

I saw fancy pedestal sinks like the ones that they put in the master bath in a Ferguson showroom (bath and kitchen showroom) a few years ago, and they were $10,000!  I'm assuming those were cheaper.

• Love 3

Good assumption it's a knockoff--especially if it's been a few years. I've noticed some of the showers or tubs they've done have had those plastic inserts instead of tile, saves a bundle there. Needless to say, it's an improvement over what was. To paraphrase Erin, "it's like making a basket lamp for under $10 instead of buying one for 4 hundred dollars."

I hate my acrylic tub/shower liner and would gladly rip it out and put in tile instead.  I also despise my green kitchen cabinets - but of course the shade is the shade that was popular many years ago (forest green perhaps?) and not some of the nicer shades available today.  Personally I thought that small kitchen was a little busy with the colored cabinets, the elaborate backsplash, etc., but that's just not my style.  

When my husband and I were building a new house about 11 years ago, our builder suggested that we go to Ferguson’s. We had built six previous houses and bought 4 others. We left that store laughing all the way to our car. They are so much more expensive that any other store we’ve ever visited. Do not go there unless you have an unlimited budget. Even then, you can find similar quality stuff at a much reduced price. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Gam2 said:

When my husband and I were building a new house about 11 years ago, our builder suggested that we go to Ferguson’s. We had built six previous houses and bought 4 others. We left that store laughing all the way to our car. They are so much more expensive that any other store we’ve ever visited. Do not go there unless you have an unlimited budget. Even then, you can find similar quality stuff at a much reduced price. 

Actually, you can get the exact same stuff for much less at Lowe’s.  We redid our powder room last year, and we saw a Kohler vanity and sink that I really liked at Ferguson’s.  I was able to order it from Lowe’s for considerably less money.

• Love 1