Type keyword(s) to search

Home Town - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 1/29/2019 at 10:56 PM, Pegasaurus said:

Overall, I like this show but I sometimes find Ben & Erin a bit too "precious".  Kind of gets on my last nerve.  And now, with their snotty attitude about laminate, they've gone down another notch in my book! But I'll keep watching.  ;)  

I’ve gotten to the point where I record it. On playback, I mute the sound and look at the two house visits, then FF thru to the big reveal. Leave it on mute, turn on closed captions, and if anything is said about Ben having custom-made a furnishing, I might REW back to see the making-of the piece.

Mesnwhile, I am digging DIY’s âMMaine Cabin Masters so much I don't ever care if there’s a PTV forum for it. It’s just 99% good watching.

The cabin madters’ occasional forced laughter hardly annoys me at all in contrast to Erin & Ben’s preciousness. Along with Jim & Mallorie. Yep, guess I’m closing in on being over this show, heh!

Edited by BckpckFullaNinjas
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, suebee12 said:

am I the only person who is not in love with vaulted ceilings? All I can think of is the fact that heat rises and all that lovely heat is somewhere over my head!(Yes, it is really cold down here in Mississippi now...34 right now and expected low 20's tonight....Brrrrrrrr...especially since I still haven't re-acclimated from FL!). I liked the in-between ceiling they showed...interesting to look at but not super high ceilings!

I liked the slopey ceiling option too!  Do you have a ceiling fan? It’s in the single digits where I am and I have a space heater going (electric fireplace - pictures of fire, LOL!) and my ceiling fan turned on low in the direction that pushes air back down. I’m actually barefooted and still comfy - wearing two shirts & longish pants, of course. 

Oh, @SueBee, I’ve had a care package in assembly ever since you so kindly mailed me the Mississippi souvenirs!  I think I still have your street address and will endeavor to get it headed your way by week’s end!!!! 

Butcher block counters are not intended to be used as a butcher block/cutting board, right?  I've always wondered because it seems ironic that butcher block counters aren't meant for cutting and chopping.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, izabella said:

Butcher block counters are not intended to be used as a butcher block/cutting board, right?  I've always wondered because it seems ironic that butcher block counters aren't meant for cutting and chopping.

I don't think so.  Otherwise they would get lots of cut marks on them.  I think they are gorgeous, but not as practical as quartz or granite.  You can't put anything hot on them, and I imagine too much water is no good either, so around a sink might be problematic.  I like it when they have a smaller island with a butcher block top and stone for the rest of the counters.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I see the Canadian couple who wanted a "vacation home" as a place to eventually retire to as buying an investment Airbnb.

Sounds like it to me.  Because here's the thing: if they want to retire in Laurel they would have to spend 6 months plus a day in Canada every year to maintain their eligibility for healthcare. And of course they would not be eligible for Medicare. That's why there are so many "snowbirds".  They only stay for the winter and go back to Canada for the warmer weather and to protect their coverage.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Honestly, I’d take Canada more months out of the year than MS. Most Canadian snowbirds are only in Florida from January 1st to April 1st, then they head home. Lots of RV parks rent out three months at a time. 

• Love 2
On 2/1/2019 at 8:54 PM, chessiegal said:

I see the Canadian couple who wanted a "vacation home" as a place to eventually retire to as buying an investment Airbnb.

I agree, and there’s nothing wrong with that. I live in the nexus of heat & humidity & just chuckled at the story of the Quebec’ker husband falling in love with southern MS. Either he lurvessss to sweat *or* he visited between November and — April ??? LOL

• LOL 1

In defense of vinyl plank flooring- it actually is very durable, and really looks like hardwood. 

Several years ago, Jeff Lewis put down vinyl planks in one of his homes (it was the first time I'd ever seen vinyl wood-looking planks). I was surprised then and though I'm no fan of the guy, if a snob like him is okay with it, it must be decent stuff (I've not seen it in person). 

• Love 2

That was fast!  Although I guess it was filmed in the fall.  

I notice they mentioned it was featured on Home Town.  The same thing happened with Fixer Upper houses and eventually they made a condition that if you were on the show you could not use their name to try to rent it on Airbnb.  I don't see Ben and Erin doing that but you never know.

I think they said on the show that the Canadians were going to rent the house when they were back in Canada, vacation in Laurel, and retire there when the time comes.    $96 a night sounds steep, but there are three beds too.  

I remember them mentioning this on the show.  

The bed in this episode, and the school superintendent's house were prototypes of Ben's furniture line.   That's why the beds looked similar, and seemed small for the space, because they were Queen beds, and I'm guessing at least the superintendent's house had a king later.  

Not meaning to be offensive, but a few years ago I found out anyone who hits 65 is eligible for Medicare.   I knew someone who thought she was smarter than the rest of us, and worked off the books for many years.     I'm sure if she paid in income tax, that her income was under reported also.    So she only went to the emergency room when she was deathly ill.     She went into the doctor when she hit 65, and got all of the screening tests that the rest of us get much earlier, and she turned out to have colon and breast cancers, and it was an early stage either.   She only paid into social security for a couple of years too, so she gets no pension either.  

However, if you haven't paid in for the 10 years that most of us do, then you have to pay really big premiums for Part A and Part B.    Since I paid in for 100 years (at least it seems like that), then I only pay the $135 for my A & B.      And if they don't have something that covers prescriptions, then they have to get Part D and pay for that also.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

Laurel has a lot of Airbnb action, and B & B's too, since the show started bringing people there.    $120 a night sounds like a lot, but it is a three bedroom.    There are a lot of shops catering to the tourism crowd, and from where I live I could get on the highway, drive right to Laurel, and follow the same road to Waco and the Silos.   They have a lot of different local events now too.    They do have some production companies of some kind there, and the Peggy house would be great for temporary housing for a family until they could get something more permanent.  

I like that they just talked about the lead testing, and I'm sure asbestos also.   You can't tell me that the linoleum in both houses on today's show aren't full of asbestos.   

I like the house the couple picked, and the cat approved too.    I was laughing at the second offering that was refused.      The third house was amazingly awful, and really needs a lot of work.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

CrazyInAlabama, my point was that as Canadian citizens who own property in the US they would not be entitled to Medicare.  Now, if they were to get green cards or citizenship at some point that would change things. 

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 1

Yes, as long as they have some kind of residency when they retire, and move here they can get it then.     Until then, for long term stays they can get U.S. medical insurance for non-citizens.   

Blue Cross, and other big ones don't cover non-U.S. residents.    Where I used to work we had International Students, and they had to get acceptable medical insurance for their own use, and the family within a certain number of days after arrival, and there are big companies that serve only that group.    I didn't even think about that, until I ran into that situation.  

I didn't realize the Medicare non-payment issue until I was acquainted with the woman who never paid into it.     Plus, years ago I worked with a woman who was naturalized, and her kids were all born here.    She wanted a full time maid and housekeeper to watch the boys, so she imported her mother.    Her mother was at least 65 then, and because she had a green card, she qualified for Medicare, but at the higher price.    Yes, she imported Mom as unpaid help, and that woman worked taking care of the three grandsons, and the house for years.   She also was surprised that the Mom went home to a life of leisure with another daughter when the boys were on their own.   

I like the kitchen remodel, but the stove in the peninsula is not for me.    

• Love 1

Dang, I really wanted to see the remodel for that 70s masterpiece, especially since the intent was to keep a few "vintage" items like the living room flooring and bathroom sinks. Erin's projected drawings looked great and it was more square footage with generously sized rooms.

Recreated or not, I liked that the couple noped out of the house that was right next to a store. There was also a busy street nearby with other commercial properties. I feel like buyers here don't mention location and the neighborhood as much as they should when making decisions. Although ... if this couple was going to choose the first house anyway, why bother making a stink?

In general, I appreciate that Home Town is more realistic about budget. So many flip shows are like: bathroom will be $4K, kitchen $8K. In what world? That's low even if the flippers do all the labor themselves, which they definitely do not. I'm much happier with Ben saying a kitchen will be $23K, because yes it will.

I know windows are very expensive but I wish remodelers wouldn't keep old single pane windows with flaked and chipped wood mullions/muntins. They continue to look beat up even after getting (yet another) coat of paint slapped on and are inefficient for heating and cooling.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 2
27 minutes ago, 2727 said:

I know windows are very expensive but I wish remodelers wouldn't keep old single pane windows with flaked and chipped wood mullions/muntins. They continue to look beat up even after getting (yet another) coat of paint slapped on and are inefficient for heating and cooling

That's my pet peeve too.

I wouldn't want to live next to a store either.  But realistically, the historical district in Laurel is probably quite small, and houses don't come up for sale often, I would imagine.  Depending on how long the show runs they will eventually run out of picturesque properties to restore.

At the end of the day it is a small town with limited employment opportunities.  There can't be an endless stream of new residents. 

I liked the house. I did notice they saved money with the fiberglass shower stall.  It looked perfectly fine, but I'm sure it was significantly less expensive than tile.  I do appreciate that they try to stay within budget.

Did anyone else get the impression that the husband was not totally thrilled to be so close to his in-laws?  He was very diplomatic, but I bet he would have preferred if the house had been a couple of streets over.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

I liked the house. I did notice they saved money with the fiberglass shower stall.  It looked perfectly fine, but I'm sure it was significantly less expensive than tile.  I do appreciate that they try to stay within budget.

I noticed that also. We bought our home new 31 years ago and it had a fiberglass shower stall in the master bathroom that I recently had removed. I had a big shower with a bench built in the space where there was a fiberglass 'garden' bathtub that never got used and the old shower space is now a closet. We still have a fiberglass tub/shower in the other bathroom. In our experience they really held up well. No cracks or excessive wear in over three decades says a lot for how well they age if a quality product is used.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

We still have a fiberglass tub/shower in the other bathroom. In our experience they really held up well.

They do! I really like seeing the variety of tile work on design and remodeling shows, but I personally have had it with tile showers. The grout will eventually get moldy and the caulk will harden and crack no matter what you do. The wall niches for shampoo and soap are especially prone, and the floors on standalone showers get slimy. (Or maybe better people than me carefully wipe down and dry the shower and tub after every use.) I'll happily take a fiberglass insert -- hey, they come with a fake tile effect!

I agree about the Preciousness factor; ignore production's pressure to ham it up, and tone it down. On his own Ben's sense of humor is charming.

Erin does the same thing some of my south MS family do: pronounces a hard "g." "I'm goinGAH...."

I confess I have my 100-year-old windows, with wonky mullions. I adore old wavy glass and could never afford to replace 24 windows, so I'm stuck with them. In the interest of old-home preservation my county offered a class with an expert old-window restorer and I learned how to take care of them and repair them. My summer project will be gingerly cleaning some of the mullions up - possibly scraping and repainting. If one pushes too hard the old glazing will give out. In terms of energy efficiency, I re-did the weatherproofing and I use interior storms and insulated curtains; works great.

Glad to read other posters' comments about lead paint and asbestos tile. Been there, done that.

I'm not a fan of ranches and more "modern" homes, and I miss it when they don't restore something from the 40s and earlier.

• Love 6

I brought up the shower stall because they did not talk about it- just matter-of-factly showed it being installed.  When they do tile they usually talk about it more ( episode 1). I just got the impression that they were running out of money at that stage of the renovation.

A couple of houses ago we had a fiberglass tub and surround that looked like tile.  It was in the kids' bathroom, and I absolutely loved it.  They do hold up beautifully and no issues with caulk and grout.  We have to redo a shower and I am seriously considering going that route.

• Love 1
On 2/3/2019 at 4:33 PM, chessiegal said:

ETA: That seems expensive for Laurel. We stayed in a waterfront Airbnb in St. Petersburg, FL for $64/night.

I'm a St Pete, FL native (and still live here) -- hope MY Home Town showed you a good time! 

Watching last night's episode now -- have we seen the female plumbers before? Because I loved them.

• Love 3

The second house was also across a really wide street from a building that looked like a grocery store, and maybe some other stores in there too.    Even if the business next door wouldn't have been so close, then the neighboring businesses were a deal breaker too.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, janeyjay said:

I'm a St Pete, FL native (and still live here) -- hope MY Home Town showed you a good time! 

We love St. Pete. My favorite step-daughter, husband, and grandkids live in historic Old South St. Pete. We visit at least twice a year. My husband wants to move there.

• Love 1

I was reading, I guess elsewhere, that by the time the buyers go with the Napiers to look at homes, they’ve already bought.  If so, there are some decent amateur actors out there! 

And Ben and Erin are among them. Initially I was actually tickled at the genuine surprise and near shock that they showed when the couple wouldn’t even go inside House #2 but then I read the info about having already bought and I guess they were acting there, too. 

I FF’ed to the reveal last evening, but today I had some free time and watched more of it. It wasn’t awful, though I really need Erin to stop being unnecessarily noisy & trying to be cute. 

I continue to think a lot of that contractor with the underbite — he and his wife adopted three little boys. Good on them!!! And God bless ‘em. Three boys. All little. Zowie! 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

We love St. Pete. My favorite step-daughter, husband, and grandkids live in historic Old South St. Pete. We visit at least twice a year. My husband wants to move there.

One of my most favorite neighborhoods in town! Come on down -- we'd love to have you!

• Love 1

I noticed that error as well. Sounds like very rushed production.

I also thought that the 2nd house was a set-up for some (very minor) drama.

Cut it out, show. The contrivances aren't necessary.

Loved the lady plumbers! And I'd love to know more about the adopted children, although of course everyone wants to protect their privacy (thank goodness).

• Love 1

Loved the entire makeover.  (The couple seemed extremely sweet too.)  I agree with Erin that a lot of her decorating and design choices seem more 'timeless' than other reno people and flippers on HGTV who seem to focus on just what is trendy. She does love her sage green, which I've seen her use on multiple projects.

Edited by MoreCoffeePlease
  • Love 1

I think the Napier's shock was genuine.   The script is they show the house the people already own, and have seen the painting of, and know the plans for remodel, and then they look at another decoy house.    The fact the young couple wouldn't look at the decoy house, and they had to find another one was funny.     The couple were scripted to look at the house even though they never would have bought it, and they screwed that up.  

I hope the second house will be redone.   I think it could be spectacular with the right remodel, starting with all new flooring.   

On tonight's new episode with the Pediatrician, and the Nurse, I loved the after on the house.   The before was strange.    I didn't see what they did with the floor ducts, but they were so dirty.    I knew they wouldn't get the second house when I saw the flood damage, and nothing was said about how it flooded.    A burst pipe is one thing, but if it's in a flood prone area I wouldn't be able to run away from that house fast enough.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
On 2/9/2019 at 11:04 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I didn't see what they did with the floor ducts, but they were so dirty.

Totally agree!  Also the air intake inside the upper kitchen cabinet looked SO FILTHY.  I really hope it was cleaned before the cabinet was installed. 

I liked the house, and what they did with it.  The couple was cute, and they seemed a little shy and reserved.  No jumping up and down with these two!

I fell asleep last night and re-watched on my computer this morning.  Watching on a super high def computer screen is a real eye opener, I have to say.  You see every flaw.  I noticed a substantial crack in the brick around the beautiful side door, some gouges in the brick floor leading out to the courtyard, and some odd discoloration on the roof which may have indicated some issues with the shingles.  I realize that there are budget constraints, but those are the kind of things that would worry me.  

• Love 1

I'm sure a lot of work is done after the reveal, because they are on a strict timeline.     I'm also sure the roof issue will take a pro, and that might be hard to schedule some times of the year, especially since there have been huge wind and rain storms this year.   The brick work really needs a specialist too.   I think that Ben and the other man said something about the previous owners not changing filters, so I imagine they had a huge duct cleaning and servicing of the HVAC system before the people moved in.  

Ok, I’m having trouble conceptualizing the layout of the house the MD & RN bought. It’s U-shaped? The front door leads to a wall of doors? The big living room is only accessible from the secret garden? Too many questions! 

Never mind!!! I’m looking at the floor plan and all is clear!!!! 

I do wanta know why the other house flooded. Sure looks like flat land!

Edited by BckpckFullaNinjas

I'm not sure if I like how they extended the counter in the kitchen, supposedly to make room for a dishwasher. It looked to me like a dishwasher would have fit without adding the extra cabinet that jutted out into the bay window nook.

The new hallway is neat, but boy, the kitchen seemed very far away from the den/family room, which is not what most people want today, especially if they are going to have kids. Then again, when the kids get a little older, they would have fun running up and down that hallway!

Definitely a neat house. Loved what they did with the mudroom entrance. So pretty and practical.

• Useful 1
21 hours ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

I'm not sure if I like how they extended the counter in the kitchen, supposedly to make room for a dishwasher. It looked to me like a dishwasher would have fit without adding the extra cabinet that jutted out into the bay window nook.

Both times I watched, I thought, “Folks, stay slim or you’re gonna be bruised getting in & out of that booth!”

I find it weird that the homeowners aren’t allowed to see progress.  Even on “Love It Or List It,” they come a few times to check on things. The HT way would give me great discomfort - which is so moot, as I’ll do everything possibie to avoid traveling south*, much less move there!

——-

*It’s the heat! AND the humidity!

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

I find it weird that the homeowners aren’t allowed to see progress.

I'd be fine with it if I trusted the designer, which I do with Erin. This show seems pretty scrupulous about not going over budget (or at least discussing it with the homeowners), which would be my primary concern.

I would have a couple of deal breaker requirements though: no open shelving or glass cupboard doors in the kitchen, tall (20") toilets, and textured glass in the shower. Sorry to every designer in the world, but I don't like clear glass enclosures.

What sort of things would you put your foot down on?

• Love 3

My guess is that a lot of stuff does not make it to the final cut.  Possibly more interaction with the homeowners.  Erin uses some of their things to decorate, so she has to have some meetings with them. And I would not be surprised if the homeowners go to have a peek when filming wraps up for the day.  I would.

They film 3-4 episodes at a time, so they aren't there all day working.  They film their scenes, and move on to the next place, leaving the contractors to finish. I remember reading somewhere that these reality shows use about 10 hours of film to make a one hour episode.  Multiply that by 13 episodes and that's a lot of filming! So no way they are actually doing the work on every house.

Erin has talked about Ben working late at night finishing projects after filming wraps up for the day, so I am pretty sure the Scotsman pieces are really his handiwork.

Personally, although I appreciate the look of older houses, I would be a bit OCD about what is going on behind the walls.  I would want to make sure the plumbing, HVAC, wiring were all up to code.  I would also check the foundation, roof and windows. I've watched  too many episodes of Property Brothers where they find surprises lurking as the work progresses, I guess.  

I assume they check for these issues, but just don't waste screen time on them.  Otherwise it would just be like putting lipstick on a pig.   I seem to remember an episode where some sort of repair ate into the budget and they had to get more creative with the finishes.

• Love 3

The closed-in courtyard would have sold me on that house. Reminiscent of old New Orleans houses. And I love a live oak.

It seems as if this season they are cutting back on the mountains of pillows and knick-knacks. I'm glad.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, 2727 said:

What sort of things would you put your foot down on?

I have a pretty substantial list.  In my defense, DH and I have moved a lot and are on our 6th house so I know what I want by now.

Kitchen:  No open shelving.  It must be a pain to keep clean, and who has time to arrange their dishes perfectly every day?  Stone or quartz countertops.  Butcher block, while pretty, requires a lot of upkeep.  Also tile backsplash vs beadboard or wallpaper.  I want something I can easily wipe clean. But my biggest kitchen must have is a hood or downdraft that vents outside.  I think in the pediatrician episode the range in the peninsula had neither.  NO WAY.

Bathroom:  No wood floors (worry about water damage), and no freestanding tub /handheld shower without a tile surround and just the circular shower curtain. Again, water damage. Just give me a fiberglass shower instead if money is an issue.

Rest of the house:  No carpeting.  It looks nice and feels good underfoot, but it traps dust no matter how much you vacuum.  Minimal clutter.  And no random old pictures of strangers on the walls.  Erin did this in her powder room.  Just no.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 1

Some of the people I know that have put in the wall ovens have a conventional one, and a smaller, built in convection oven.    I'm not sure why, but it seems to be the fashion around here.   I am not a big baker, so my oven/stove combination works fine for me, and I have a smaller kitchen than anyone on Home Town, but I can see someone who bakes more often would love the convenience of having ovens at eye level.   

In our last 3 homes we have had a built in microwave oven and wall oven combo.  Seems to be a fairly common configuration.  For me, two ovens would come in handy at Thanksgiving and Christmas, but not so much the rest of the year.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, 3 is enough said:

In our last 3 homes we have had a built in microwave oven and wall oven combo.  Seems to be a fairly common configuration.  For me, two ovens would come in handy at Thanksgiving and Christmas, but not so much the rest of the year.

When my parents had their house built in the late 1960s, about 30 miles down the road from Laurel, they had a combo of stove, lower oven, and upper oven. It definitely came in handy at holidays but when the upper oven bit the dust, they replaced it with a microwave. I like to bake so two ovens would be nice, but I solved the holiday problem by getting one of those electric turkey roasters, which I have also used to cook a ham. 

For the show, I would like to see what Erin would do with some of the larger houses from the early 1900s. 

• Love 1

The youngest clients ever.   Both 21.     I loved the house, and can't believe how bad the brick foundation was before, and the sewer pipe under the house being disconnected was disgusting.    I loved the kitchen, and that great old sink.    The master bath was wonderful, and I loved that the front porch is still screened, and has that porch bed.     The reading nook was so cozy.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 6