Type keyword(s) to search

Home Town - General Discussion

• Start Topic

15 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

And so it begins...

Oy.

i confess, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed reading the blog, and  Ben’s essays have probably endeared the couple to me as much as anything. 

However....I’ll borrow one from the library. 

Good news about the Virginia factory trip, I think. They’d be nuts not to explore every opportunity. 

Chimp & Joprah’s first book was what soured me on them, actually. So many people loved that book. It’ll be interesting to see how the Napiers’ fares.  

I never read any of the Gaines' stuff.  Just not that interested.  On the other hand, I like these two.  Although I must admit that as someone approaching the big 6-0, I find the idea of a memoir written by someone in their early 30's somewhat amusing. ;)

• Love 4
13 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

I never read any of the Gaines' stuff.  Just not that interested.  On the other hand, I like these two.  Although I must admit that as someone approaching the big 6-0, I find the idea of a memoir written by someone in their early 30's somewhat amusing. ;)

Heh!  I was facing a 5-hour drive alone and had read about the Gaines’ pastor being anti-gay. Bada boom, the book sounded more amusing than the other options the library had. 

PS—-turned out to be one of the more annoying trips ever and started my disenchantment with Chimp & Jope.

If you’re inclined, you can read the Napier blog for free at LaurelMercantile.com under “journal.” I happened upon it just as I was thinking about restarting a journal. 

I find it at turns fascinating, amusing, inspiring and exasperating. Again, what does one expect of a mid-twenty-something (Erin’s Age in 2010) -  however at the risk of repeating myself, Ben’s essays are jaw-dropping.  To realize what a mind and soul reside in that Paul Bunyan-wannabe body is an experience indeed. 

Again, I’ll borrow, not buy. But I’m wearing my Scotsmanco shirt right now and make NO apologies for its place in my wardrobe!!! 

8-D

• Love 2
5 hours ago, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

I find it at turns fascinating, amusing, inspiring and exasperating

Just curious, BCKPCKFULLANINJAS, what did you find exasperating?

For me, there were a couple of things that made me go hmmm.

First, a couple of posts about buying old vehicles and "not having a note".  But subsequently showing lots of photos of the restoration of said "noteless" vehicle which must have cost a pretty penny. Yes, buying a vehicle with cash is admirable, but for some people it simply is not possible.  I am sure it was not intentional, but it came off as being slightly smug.

Second, in the earlier days of the journal, comments were allowed.  This has since been disabled, and I certainly do understand why.  But there was an entry about having her feelings hurt by a comment someone made.  It was concerning Erin and her "clique" and their efforts to bring back Downtown Laurel.  The poster made some reference to the fact that the efforts shut out the "regular" townspeople.  Erin simply did not understand and countered that she wasn't fancy, she lived in a 2000 sq ft home.  I think she just could not relate to the fact that for some people, the rebirth of downtown with all the new quaint shops was alienating, because the new businesses were simply beyond their means. My guess is that there is probably a group who would have appreciated getting a Target or Kohl's instead.  Not taking anything away from their efforts to rejuvenate the town, but you can't please everyone, and sometimes those folks speak up about their disappointment.

Third was the dogs.  I understand that dogs are messy, and some shed a lot more than others.  But for me, if you don't want dogs in the house, don't have any.  I cannot imagine the point of owning a dog if it stays outside all the time.  And yes, Ben did build them a nice doghouse.

Honestly, three relatively minor things over the course of 8 years of journal entries is nothing.  Funny how the things that irritate you do seem to stick in your mind though...

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 3
On 1/29/2018 at 6:21 AM, kimberussell said:

I love blogs, so I started reading hers from post 1 (it's taken me a LONG while to get to the point where they film the first season) and the way this all happened for them seems so organic and genuine. For example, one day she decided to do a watercolor of her childhood home and then started painting others' homes as a hobby.  Something will cost too much money, so they'll make it themselves.  I love it and I think it's really gotten me into the show even more. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a season 3.

how the heck do you get to the first page? it seems that i have to manually backhit for 29? pages? is there a faster way?

• Love 3

how the heck do you get to the first page? it seems that i have to manually backhit for 29? pages? is there a faster way?

Go to the homepage of their website.  Click on "Our Story".  Scroll down to the part about Erin and Ben.  There is a link to click on to get to the beginning of the blog.  

Have fun!  Took me the better part of a week to read the whole thing.  There are a lot of entries.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

They certainly seem to be following the Gaines' pattern.  I think (and hope) they will do things on a smaller scale, but we shall see I guess.

They are following the business plan, but I cannot imagine - and I have a good imagination - Ben coming home to Erin and announcing that they’re moving, which was Chip’s MO up to the farmhouse. 

I’ve sampled the journal, never thought to read it from 0 to now!  Mostly exasperated in my early readings by her “boo-hoo, I slept in til 7:45, what a life I have to lead” and in later ones, by her overuse of *grueling* - although when it turned out she’d be been taping, pregnant, in Mississippi heat + humidity, I gave her a pass. ... but then I thought of po’ folk who endure that weather pregnant, nursing, overweight, malnourished .... eh, she’s just a child of privilege. 

OTOH was well impressed by some of the entries where they’re working their tails off, working on one project or another. 

Have not read about the downtown clique but,  having had a sad experience hoping to make a go of simply living in a small town, I’m going to guess it was more than a matter of a boutique shopping area vs. a chain store. Sadly, small mindedness comes along with small towns and small societies.  I was astonished, listening to my usually kindly inlaws carp about the money-making enterprise that was going up on rural eland they had sold, after doing exactly Nothing with it for decades.

But you raise a point I’ve wondered about:  why do the Walmart’s & Kohl’s have to build on the edges of town and suck the life from the Downtowns? Chain stores establish themselves in the historic town squares and market areas of cities in Europe —  why can't that happen here?  I know, question for another forum.  Thanks for letting me vent.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Erin simply did not understand and countered that she wasn't fancy, she lived in a 2000 sq ft home. 

Oh please!  You’ll know when I’ve read that part because you’ll hear the howls  of indignation emanating from my 900 sf home!!!

There is one other “entry” that left me feeling unsure. The marriage proposal video. On one hand, that’s what kids do these days. OTOH, sure curious that the couple who stand to inherit the status vacated by FU were already  having their Big Life Moments recorded.

What would John Kerry think? (he had himself taped while fighting [sic] in the Vietnam War and was using the footage in his presidential ad campaign)

15 minutes ago, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

But you raise a point I’ve wondered about:  why do the Walmart’s & Kohl’s have to build on the edges of town and suck the life from the Downtowns?

I really don't know the answer, but I would imagine $$$$$ for the land.

But I will tell you what recently happened where I used to live(Sarasota, FL). There is an old shopping center(the first one ever in town begun in the '50's). It is almost completely empty and has become an eyesore....a huge eyesore(Trash, homeless, drug-dealing, etc). So along comes Walmart wanting to buy the shopping center to build a new Walmart. This area is only a couple of blocks from Main St. So what happened you ask? The neighbors were aghast that this would happen in their neighborhood. Walmart even made many concessions about lighting, traffic, etc. Still no go. The last I heard before moving was they still didn't want "them" in their neighborhood even though shopping would be very easy...walk-able for several nearby neighborhoods and the trashy area cleaned up. Maybe this happens when the big box stores want near downtown?

Edited by suebee12
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Go to the homepage of their website.  Click on "Our Story".  Scroll down to the part about Erin and Ben.  There is a link to click on to get to the beginning of the blog.  

Have fun!  Took me the better part of a week to read the whole thing.  There are a lot of entries.

a million (or 294 anyway) thanks!

• Love 1

@suebee12 breaks my heart to hear that!  I’ve heard people think ... differently in Florida...?’

@zoomama I know! I think there actually were 8,000-some when Erin quit to have he baby. I’ll tell you what — I just posted No. 356 of my copycat journal and let it go with a photo of my new springtime nail polish. Writing Every Day takes commitment and I’m not sure I’ll continue once I have done a whole year!  I have to admire the gal for that. 

13 minutes ago, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

@suebee12 breaks my heart to hear that!  I’ve heard people think ... differently in Florida...?’

I had not checked recently to see what is happening at that shopping center who's address btw is 170 Shopping Avenue. More gated homes! Here are the new plans:

The result is a planned four-story, gated apartment complex with 222 units, a courtyard area, clubhouse, fitness center and coffee bar, according to the plans. It also will include a “resort style” swimming pool with seating areas and outdoor barbecue and kitchen.

A future phase of the project calls for two, one-story commercial buildings on Ringling Boulevard.

Wonder if they will change the name of the street?

• Love 1

Wow.  I can't even imagine citizens preferring a rundown abandoned mall to a brand new Walmart. I know a lot of people don't particularly like the franchise, but still... wow.

I didn't mean to start a discussion about big box stores. Not even sure if Laurel is big enough to rate getting another franchise like Target or Kohl's, especially these days when the big box retailers are being extremely careful about opening new stores. I just think that if you look at the demographics of Laurel, the average income is $25,000 per year, and 30% of the population are below the poverty line.  So a lot of the population have no use for high end boutique type stores, and, given a choice, would prefer something they could actually afford to patronize. It's hardly surprising that someone would call Erin out on this, even if it was through an anonymous blog comment.

The other day someone asked via Instagram about the tan pants Ben wears so often.  Erin actually answered and referred her to the company that makes them.  She told her to ask for the Big Ben Duck Pants.  The company is Blue Delta Jeans.  They take your measurements and make a pattern just for you, then use Mississippi grown cotton to make the pants.  Sounds lovely, and you are supporting an American business.  BUT, the jeans cost $500 a pair!  How many people have $500 for a pair of jeans?  I would bet that Ben got the pants at a deep discount in return for word of mouth advertising, or maybe Erin did some print work for them.  I know these small business owners network to support and encourage each other.

$500 jeans and $800 porch swings?  Mayberry sure is pricey these days!

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, suebee12 said:

The result is a planned four-story, gated apartment complex with 222 units, a courtyard area, clubhouse, fitness center and coffee bar, according to the plans. It also will include a “resort style” swimming pool with seating areas and outdoor barbecue and kitchen.

Teh 1%-ers, who knew?

Sure sounds like the developers of the apartment had influence over the neighbors’ opinions.  

Trust me, I’ll bring this back to Ben & Erin. 

11 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

I bought a new pack of those. Certainly not since $500 jeans and $800 porch swings?  Mayberry sure is pricey these days!

Well...maybe Ben’s forays into American Furniture manufacturing plants will result in production of a more-accessible, mass-produced line. 

That said, I astonished myself and bought one of their flannel plaid shirts for myself this Christmas. Total was around $70 and shipping was free. Before you think me frivolous or insane, consider that (1) the only  clothes I routinely buy new are my skivvies, and I can’t tell you the last time I bought a pack of ole Just My Sizes - certainly not in the 2010s.  What I’m saying is, I take care of my clothes. (2) I buy Resale for everything else, and since I wear size 22, pricey designer duds are right out as an option.

(3) I’ve started to become acquainted with some of my friends’ buying habits and am astounded at how many don't wait for sales to purchase.

Which is all germane as I get Back to Ben & Erin:  I’m extremely curious about their market research. Are they aiming for Boomers like me, who make the occasional splurge because they find something irresistible? I confess that I LOVE knowing that my shirt was made in USA.  I adore the colors and like the fit. How does it compare to my roommate’s SEAsia-made flannels from Kohl’s? I have not checked but I will. 

Do they count on Gen X/Y’ers & Millenials who go for a minimal number of good items in their wardrobes; or who figure “screw the cost, I want it;” ?

The shirts are unavailable now and I couldn’t pin down the perfectly lovely store clerk on whether they would be made again. T-shirts have a HUUGE profit margin — does Scotsman/Laurel Mercantile plan to continue on a base of tee sales with seasonal spikes from sales of button-downs? Can that market be exhausted? If they run a limited or just-in-time inventory they’re probably okay for a few seasons.

Dont even get me started on their aprons. I read the description of the one with the sliding back gizmo to the roommate, who got perceptibly interested.  Showed the photos — Oo, nice — revealed the price! And the interest was GONE. 

i mentioned tourist sales at the brick & mortar. Would love to see what those are really like. How long will Downtown, North Laurel (whatever that is) and the Lauren Rogers Museum be able to attract enough visitors to remain viable?  

It’s going to be quite interesting to watch, I think.  

• Love 1

Honestly, BCKPCKFULLANINJAS, a $70 flannel shirt is a relatively minor splurge compared to a $500 pair of jeans. (My first thought on seeing that  price was what happens if you gain a few pounds?)   It's all relative I suppose.

I have always been careful with my money.  If I buy something and it goes on sale the next week, I go back to the store to get a refund.  I always check for sales and coupons and I have no problem waiting for prices to drop before I buy.  I also take care of my things and I have found that as I get older I am more discriminating with my purchases.  I just don't need a lot of stuff floating around.  But you do get what you pay for and I don't mind spending a bit more for quality things that will last, within reason. My DH is a big and tall guy and I buy him Lands' End dress shirts (with discount coupons, of course!) because they fit him, are well made, and they last. 

I splurged and bought myself a candle online from Erin and Ben's store.  It smells really nice, and wasn't too pricey ($26).  

5 hours ago, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

i mentioned tourist sales at the brick & mortar. Would love to see what those are really like. How long will Downtown, North Laurel (whatever that is) and the Lauren Rogers Museum be able to attract enough visitors to remain viable?  

I have wondered the same thing.  I guess that the web business is booming, due to the exposure from the show.  Not everything they sell  is super expensive, and I imagine the lower priced items are more popular.  But I must admit I am very curious about mark-ups and profit margins vs overhead costs.  The profits have to be split between 3 couples.  I don't think the store is the main source of income for any of them, and even if it runs at a loss for the first couple of years, there are tax breaks to be had (although the new tax laws may have changed that option).  And the super expensive items are pretty limited in stock.  So Ben builds an island, and they price it at $1600.  If it sells, great, if not, it's not like they have a warehouse full of them.  I think that as a group they are very savvy about financial matters, are getting solid advice, and do nothing on a whim.  But it is a small town, not a whole lot to see, and the prospect of repeat visitors may be very limited.  

One thing that really floored me: they are selling a tree swing for $95!  It is basically a maple board with two holes drilled in it and a couple of pieces of rope. That Scotsman.Co. label really adds to the price!

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

@zoomama I know! I think there actually were 8,000-some when Erin quit to have he baby. I’ll tell you what — I just posted No. 356 of my copycat journal and let it go with a photo of my new springtime nail polish. Writing Every Day takes commitment and I’m not sure I’ll continue once I have done a whole year!  I have to admire the gal for that. 

i write a blog a well. the difference is that i do it when i have something to share as opposed to an every day thing. i actually write it for my grandkids to see someday in the future -- telling them what i think about the world. every january i have it printed and hardback bound into a book for my shelf....for them to read some day. reading erin's is giving me the idea that i should go back to the beginning and read my own posts! i currently am on my 7th year of writing!

reading hers is gonna take me a while -- i am only on #45ish !!!  

Edited by zoomama
forgot the most important comment
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

One thing that really floored me: they are selling a tree swing for $95!  It is basically a maple board with two holes drilled in it and a couple of pieces of rope. That Scotsman.Co. label really adds to the price!

Appreciated all your post but this really resonated. I’m heading to a tartan fest and thought about adding SCOTSMAN labels to stuff just to see if folks with a wee dram abscond a pride in their heritage wouldvoay more. Hee. 

True story: I’ve been receiving new dish towels gladly because mine are wearing out. Got one from Scotsman and used it as a trivet for the ice water pitcher, folded it so that the SCOTSMAN sewn-on label showed, when I hosted a recent  hen party. I actually heard a couple of the more status-conscious among us remark on it — but nobody asked me about it. Pity! 8-)

Labels! I remember when they were only on the insides of garments, and AFAIK never anywhere  on a dish towel or handkerchief (another Scotsman item).

• Love 1

When I was 15 or 16 my father told me the Levis tag on my jeans looked silly and offered to cut it off for me.  I was horrified!  :D

That was over 40 years ago.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

When I was 15 or 16 my father told me the Levis tag on my jeans looked silly and offered to cut it off for me.  I was horrified!  :D

That was over 40 years ago.

LOL!! I was gonna make allowances for Denim cause I remember photos of my grandpa in overalls with some kinda tag. And he was NOT wealthy! 

On 3/30/2018 at 1:19 PM, zoomama said:

i write a blog a well. the difference is that i do it when i have something to share as opposed to an every day thing. i actually write it for my grandkids to see someday in the future -- telling them what i think about the world. every january i have it printed and hardback bound into a book for my shelf....for them to read some day. reading erin's is giving me the idea that i should go back to the beginning and read my own posts! i currently am on my 7th year of writing!

reading hers is gonna take me a while -- i am only on #45ish !!!  

well lets see---   i just finished reading the first year of her blog....it's 4:01a.m. easter morning and i could not sleep.  definitely gonna take more than a week toread this stuff. i really just want to get to her pregnancy year but i havent seen a fast forward option....

She only talks about the pregnancy in October- they kept it to themselves for a long time... I mean the families and friends knew, and the crew for the show, but she didn't address it in the journal until they announced publicly. 

There is no fast forward but you might want to click on "Journal", then "Erin's Journal".  That will take you to December 31, and you can go backwards to October.  It's a bit faster.

I actually did it that way for a bit until I discovered how to start from day one.  But reading it from the beginning gives you a sense of how she has matured over the years- she was only 25 when she started.  It is slow, sometimes the downloads took a while.  I did find myself skimming over the parts about Ben's ministry to a certain extent- I am not very religious and it didn't really interest me, although it does tell you a lot about the importance of their faith in their lives.  I do admire the fact that they are religious but never come off as preachy or trying to convert people.

• Love 1

I've read most of the blog since the show started. I've started and stopped several times, and this last time I've completely stopped the blog and the show.  The news of the book piqued my interest.

For me, the blog really turned me off of them.  Erin seems immature and self-centered.  I know she was young when she started the blog, but she's not young anymore. No one can have a love story like theirs...they are just regular ol' folks ya'll! 

I wish she would have just come out and said she didn't want a child because she was scared Ben would love the baby more than her.  It got old quickly.  When her friend that's on the show got pregnant "without her", she seemed upset.  What  was stopping her?  Her desire to keep Ben to herself, which is fine.  I know couples that are childless by choice and they just say they want to be a couple and that's that. No, I'm scared. I don't know if I can even have a child....sure.  And in past entries, as someone said up thread, she allowed comments. If anyone said a word that didn't follow the narrative of she is a princess to be praised, Mommy would jump in.  In fact, Mommy still jumps in on Instagram to save her baby girl.  

What really brought me here was the blurb about her "chronic illness".  She had an infected appendix that when undiagnosed for many years. I wouldn't exactly call it a chronic illness.  Again, misrepresenting herself.

I think these people mean well, in their mind, but are out of touch and come off as unauthentic.  

• Love 1
(edited)

I give her a pass on the "chronic illness". She did have a few recurring "attacks" before finally being diagnosed, so that fits the definition of "chronic illness".  I am sure it was scary. I really have to wonder why the heck it took the doctors so long to find it? You would think that appendicitis would be one of the first things  the doctors would check for... If it was me I would be more pissed off about that than anything else...

Since it ultimately was resolved successfully I do think that the vague reference to “chronic illness” is a bit dramatic.  But that kind of teaser helps sell books. 

No doubt she had a pampered childhood. She is the only daughter and her brother is quite a bit older than her.  And yes, sometimes she does come off as a bit self-centered. But to be fair, a journal is all about the writer, so it would be hard not to seem self-centered.

The angst over turning 30 was something I really could not relate to.

I never saw any comments- they were long gone by the time I read the blog. I tend to ignore the comments on Instagram- most are just the garden variety “ I love you guys, wish you would come to redo my house “, or “I want to move to Laurel!” remarks by leg humpers  who are dying for a response. But she recently had a few dissenters who politely suggested that she remove the bumpers from the baby’s crib. No response to those comments as far as I know, but I certainly was not going to wade through hundreds of posts.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, PurpleIris said:

I wish she would have just come out and said she didn't want a child because she was scared Ben would love the baby more than her.  It got old quickly.  When her friend that's on the show got pregnant "without her", she seemed upset.  What  was stopping her?  Her desire to keep Ben to herself, which is fine.  I know couples that are childless by choice and they just say they want to be a couple and that's that. No, I'm scared. I don't know if I can even have a child....sure. 

Interesting. I never got that impression, thought it was more that they were just enjoying their life as a couple, and weren't ready to add a baby to the mix. The fear of childbirth did seem a bit odd to me.  I think every woman is nervous about labor and delivery before they experience it.   I know I was, but I figured that it couldn't be that bad or no one would ever have more than one child. But there's no accounting for people's fears I guess.

• Love 2
On 3/30/2018 at 4:54 PM, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

Sorry about the quote box I can’t delete. 

I thought they were childless for so long because of Erin’s childhood trauma from seeing birth depictions in one of her father’s medical texts. 

Shes actually admitted she wanted Ben all to herself?

Sheee!

(edited)
2 hours ago, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

I thought they were childless for so long because of Erin’s childhood trauma from seeing birth depictions in one of her father’s medical texts.

That's what I thought too.  Although to be honest, as an adult you generally can get over most childhood fears.  I am not talking about trauma from abuse or truly horrible events, but seeing a photo which you were too young to process would, I imagine, be something you revisit as an adult and process appropriately.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

Sorry about the quote box I can’t delete. 

Shes actually admitted she wanted Ben all to herself?

Sheee!

I believe it was in a blog post where she said something like, I know Ben will never love this baby as much as he loves me.  I was like, huh???  Then reading other blog posts, I just connected the dots.  

The excuse of the medical text books was always weird to me.  When I was a freshman in high school we watched "The Miracle of Life" video where you get the full frontal view of a baby being born. That scared me for years.  But as I got older, I realized that was the purpose of the video at the time.  

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, PurpleIris said:

I believe it was in a blog post where she said something like, I know Ben will never love this baby as much as he loves me.  I was like, huh???  Then reading other blog posts, I just connected the dots

Wow!  I must have missed that.  I read the whole thing fairly recently so a lot of the details have stuck with me.

They do seem to be quite happy now that the baby has arrived.

1 minute ago, PurpleIris said:

It could have been on instagram. I'm not sure I was reading along to both at the same time.  All I know is that really stuck with me.

Well, yes.  If I had noticed it it definitely would have stuck with me too.

(edited)

I’ve given this more thought than expected. Heh! The info on how she will always be #1 for Ben reminds me of her blog post announcing the pregnancy.  She said Helen is named for Erin’s grandma, that’s nice. She hopes Helen will not be a bullying victim as Erin was. Very fair. 

Then she hopes Helen will be the champion of the underdog, and the one who fights back at the bullies.

Hm. High expectations, much?

I know pregnancy hormones produce all kinds of extremes and as one of the bullied - I was never a bully nor a fighter - I appreciate the protective feelings but REALLY found it a bit much that Erin already is setting the bar pretty darned high for the baby. 

As I said, when I first read it, it just seemed a bit much. In context of what I’m reading here, well, let’s just say Erin's Ninja Approval rating is not on the upswing. 

As if she cares, as she counts her money and waits for Ben to cook her dinner and draw her nightly bubble bath. 

Him, I still like. For now. But the bloom’s certainly off her rose. Lucky for the show that even with my declining enchantment, I’ll watch it next season, just to see the final home redo’s.

Edited by BckpckFullaNinjas
  • Love 2

I’ve given this more thought than expected

I know, right?  I don't know these people and the probability of me ever meeting them is pretty much zero.  All my observations are based on what I see on tv, Instagram, and her journal, all of which are heavily edited.  But watching the show they just seemed so nice and genuine that when I found out she had a blog I wanted to read it to find out more about them.

Ben seems like the real deal.  A great guy, loving and doting husband, and now a wonderful father.

Erin still seems like a very nice lady.  I think she is a bit neurotic and tends to over analyze things and turn molehills into mountains.  It is pretty obvious that she absolutely adores Ben, and now Helen.

I really don't recall reading anything would lead me to believe she feared that Ben would love the baby more than her, but I am sure as heck not going to reread all those journal entries again.  However, there was an Instagram post before the baby was born. She took a photo of Ben, under the covers, talking to the baby.  And she said she knew Helen was going to love him so much. But never as much has she does. Kind of an odd statement- can't really compare the father-daughter relationship to the husband-wife one.  Wacky pregnancy hormones maybe?

But I am not one to talk.  My own (private) Instagram page consists of a few photos of my dog, and a picture of a pair of shoes my daughter got me for Christmas.  That's as much as I open up on social media.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

But I am not one to talk.  My own (private) Instagram page consists of a few photos of my dog, and a picture of a pair of shoes my daughter got me for Christmas.  That's as much as I open up on social media.

Indeed!

The nice Napiers have put their lives online and knew what they were doing when they did. Erin is likely all the things we have perceived, AND competitive. 

Thank heaven for p.tv! I think I have the minor obsession dealt with and will just enjoy the show here on out. Unless, of course, they give us something to talk about!!!!

• Love 1
(edited)

Here is the Instagram post I was referring to in my earlier post.  I think what she is trying to say (in a kind of awkward way) is that Helen will never love Ben as much as Erin does. Which is still a kind of odd thing to say, IMO.  PurpleIris, could this be the post you were referring to?  

:IMG_0512.PNG.fa506cc01095f33286ff836b2b7ea5cb.PNG                                                            

Edited by 3 is enough
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I think a man or woman's love for their spouse is different than their love of their children. Why try to quantify it? Love is.

Exactly! Well said!

The first part of the post was so sweet.  Here's this big guy whispering secrets to his unborn daughter every night.  But the last line kinda gave me a "Hey kid, don't ever forget I was here first" vibe.  Probably perfectly innocent, just a poor choice of words. The hazards of social media I guess...

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Exactly! Well said!

The first part of the post was so sweet.  Here's this big guy whispering secrets to his unborn daughter every night.  But the last line kinda gave me a "Hey kid, don't ever forget I was here first" vibe.  Probably perfectly innocent, just a poor choice of words. The hazards of social media I guess...

You’re being charitable. My decidedly uncharitable thought was, “Ease up on the competition, girl. That baby’s gonna choose your nursing home.”

ETA: and also she’s gotta bring it back to HER. Just reminds me of an old lady I knew who did the same thing (“my son drives a long way to work AND ****I**** WORRY ABOUT HIM! *I* DO! I sit here and worry.”  Etc.

I think I’d find Erin pretty tiresome. 

• Love 2

BckpckFullaNinjas,  Don't get me wrong, it felt "off" to me.  And I'd bet that my son-in-law, who is a psychiatrist, would have some interesting observations about that choice of words. ;)  

I think your use of the word competitive is quite fitting.  

• Love 1
9 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

I think your use of the word competitive is quite fitting.  

Aw, thanks!

One of the benefits to me of reading Erin’s Blog during the HT/HGTV filming years is her repetitious mention of what an introvert she is! How she and Ben cling to each other because she NEEDS him in those GRUELING hours in front of a camera and around All. Those. PEOPLE!

It benefited me because I read up a little on introversion and extraversion and from that, obtained insights about myself.  Which I don’t share with anyone save my best friend of 30 years. 

It’s also come to mind here, as we’ve talked about her and why (for me) she’s begun to grate.  Ah well, as long as there continues to be woodshop footage and fun, and lovely redo’s of homes in an individualistic manner, and pleasantly interesting homebuyers to watch, I’ll stick with the show  

Too much Erin, though, and I think I’ll be on to the next thing. 

• Love 1
(edited)

The Erin we see on tv is not the same as the Erin who writes the journal.  I imagine the majority of Home Town viewers do not read the journal or follow her on Instagram and just see her as the decorator/artist.

I want to give her the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up to a poor choice of words which can change context so easily.  But I suspect she is a bit of a perfectionist and that extends to any journal entries or social media posts.

It's a good example of the dangers of sharing too much about yourself online. People will react in ways you may not have anticipated.

In her case that is particularly sad because she seems to really want everyone to like her.

Still at the end of the day she and Ben seem very happy together, which is really all that matters. 

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 3
(edited)
18 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

It's a good example of the dangers of sharing too much about yourself online. People will react in ways you may not have anticipated.

True. And she’s young — she was barely a blip, for instance, when my aforementioned best friend & I were meeting as adults.

In her case that is particularly sad because she seems to really want everyone to like her.

Hm! I had not perceived this. Food for thought. 

Still at the end of the day she and Ben seem very happy together, which is really all that matters. 

Absolutely!  Like the Napiers, my “The Next Generation” Ninjas have all been able to earn their livings doing what they enjoy WITH loving partners in their lives. Can’t ask for more. 

@3 is enough, thank you for your conversation!  I’ve very much enjoyed it! 

The Erin we see on tv is not the same as the Erin who writes the journal.

But I suspect she is a bit of a perfectionist and that extends to any journal entries or social media posts.

I started reading her blog a long time ago and then didn't keep going probably during a break between seasons.

I think most people who blog strive for "perfection" in their writing, at least as far as how we appear to others which sometimes is not what things are really like! That is one of the reasons I use Facebook very sparingly...only to keep up with family! I cannot understand how someone can post very personal things where many can read them. I can not post things like that which is why my blog is only about sewing...sometimes a family mention but who wants "everyone" in the world to know your business! 

I have started reading again and am trying to dash through it because if all goes well, my daughter-in-law are heading to Laurel next Wednesday. I'm trying to pick where we will go and what we should look for. Will let you know if the trip happens and if it doesn't , my son promised to take me there at the end of the school year.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, suebee12 said:

That is one of the reasons I use Facebook very sparingly...only to keep up with family! I cannot understand how someone can post very personal things where many can read them. I can not post things like that which is why my blog is only about sewing...sometimes a family mention but who wants "everyone" in the world to know your business! 

I feel the same way.  Maybe it's a generational thing.  

I look forward to hearing about your trip.  Curious to know if the whole town is as picturesque as seen on the show or if it is just a very small section.  I live on the other side of the country so will probably never get to see it.  My kids and extended family are scattered all over the US and Canada so that affects my travel choices, and no one lives anywhere near Mississippi.

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, suebee12 said:

I started reading her blog a long time ago and then didn't keep going probably during a break between seasons.

I think most people who blog strive for "perfection" in their writing, at least as far as how we appear to others which sometimes is not what things are really like! That is one of the reasons I use Facebook very sparingly...only to keep up with family! I cannot understand how someone can post very personal things where many can read them. I can not post things like that which is why my blog is only about sewing...sometimes a family mention but who wants "everyone" in the world to know your business! 

I have started reading again and am trying to dash through it because if all goes well, my daughter-in-law are heading to Laurel next Wednesday. I'm trying to pick where we will go and what we should look for. Will let you know if the trip happens and if it doesn't , my son promised to take me there at the end of the school year.

A year ago, inspired by Erin, I started a FB blog that fewer than a dozen of my friends and family see. A couple times recently I forgot to use the proper privacy settings, and it was available to all friends, and darlin’ friends who are not on the list responded!!! I changed the privacy settings toot sweet and so far none of the B-listers (LOL) have asked where a post went.  

Perfection — yup! I’ve gone back 3 or 4 times on some posts to get things Just. Right.  

When you visit The City Beautiful, if you go to the Lauren Rogers Museum, will you let us know how you liked it? It’s free admission IIRC so not necessarily “worth the money” as much as “worth the time.”  It’s one place to which I would beeline, were I to get to Town. 

I’m curious as to the neighborhoods that *might* need the security doors that were taken off the retired teacher’s place. Every town has the other side of the tracks and so does Laurel, probably.

There’s an old “mine company town” a couple hours from me where there are still the finer houses built for the management families, as well as middle- and then lower-square-footage homes built for those of lesser status.

Though the mine closed decades ago, even the 2B/1b homes with entries right into the parlor (like Pastor Luke’s home but smaller) still stand, well-built even after years of habitation and in some cases, neglect. 

IOW the company had some scruples and sense of responsibility to its moneymakers. Similar to Laurel’s founders! 

There’s a fascinating article on Laurel history that will add to your experience. I’ll edit it in here when I can!! 

• Love 1
(edited)

So there is confirmation that the furniture in the reveal is merely staging- apart from anything Ben builds of course.  

One of the latest journal entries was written by the homeowner of the season 2 premiere episode.  She talks about still having no table in their dining room, and how as newlyweds their furniture is a mixture of hand-me-downs, estate sale items, and the odd new purchase.  There are pictures of some of the rooms and they do not look like they did in the reveal.

I know Erin used some of the pastor's own antiques in that episode, and I think that she uses the homeowners' own photos, art, and maybe some smaller personal items on the shelves.  And I strongly suspect that the items she is shown buying in the shopping segments stay in the house- free merchandise in exchange for free advertising for the stores she visits on film. Or else the production company pays for the items in return for being allowed to film at said businesses.

I know there has been some speculation about this in earlier posts.  Home Town seems to be following the Fixer Upper model with regards to staging the finished home.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Here is the Instagram post I was referring to in my earlier post.  I think what she is trying to say (in a kind of awkward way) is that Helen will never love Ben as much as Erin does. Which is still a kind of odd thing to say, IMO.  PurpleIris, could this be the post you were referring to?  

:IMG_0512.PNG.fa506cc01095f33286ff836b2b7ea5cb.PNG                                                            

Yes! Thank you!  I was like, really?????

• Love 1