Type keyword(s) to search

Talking With Chris Hardwick - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I gave it a try last night, but I may wait for the show to find it's footing. I caved about halfway through. I'm a Harwick fan and love the podcast, but something about the episode just didn't do it for me. Maybe it's because I'm not totally interested in Elijah Wood, and I just wasn't as interested to begin with, or maybe the idea of a longer interview didn't capture me on a Sunday night. 

I think I'll give it another shot when there's a subject I may be more interested in, and hopefully everything's a little more relaxed. The stregth of the Podcast is it feels like a conversation. This all felt very structured.

• Love 2

I didn't make it to the end, either. I don't mind Chris and spending the full hour with one guest could be good if I'm interested in the person. I wasn't with Elijah and probably won't be if the bookings continue to be the standard parade of actors.

Chris seemed a little defensive in his opening when he was explaining why he was hosting yet another show.

• Love 1

I enjoyed it!  I liked being able to see an interview with an intelligent guest that wasn't the typical 5 minute interview that Includes a quick, cute antidote and then cute to commercial. I thought Elijah Wood was thoughtful  with his answers and that he and Chris had a nice repore. Chris kept the interview moving but Elijah was allowed to answer questions fully and not be rushed. I am real curious to see who the other guests will be and look forward to the new shows.  

Edited by MarMar
  • Love 4
20 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

I gave it a try last night, but I may wait for the show to find it's footing. I caved about halfway through. I'm a Harwick fan and love the podcast, but something about the episode just didn't do it for me. Maybe it's because I'm not totally interested in Elijah Wood, and I just wasn't as interested to begin with, or maybe the idea of a longer interview didn't capture me on a Sunday night. 

I think I'll give it another shot when there's a subject I may be more interested in, and hopefully everything's a little more relaxed. The stregth of the Podcast is it feels like a conversation. This all felt very structured.

I watched it on Monday so no commercials and a bit easier to digest. I also like how there wasn't any filler like on the aftershows he hosts. It'll probably all depend on the guest(s) of the week though.

• Love 1

Here is who is coming up as quests in the first few episodes.  Looks like the cast of Silicon Valley is on this Sunday, April 16th.  I am really looking forward to the Jordan Peele and Charlie Hunnam shows.

Guests confirmed to appear in upcoming episodes include Bryan Cranston, Damon Lindelof, the cast of Silicon Valley, Jordan Peele, Christina Ricci, Michelle Monaghan, Charlie Hunnam, Connie Britton and Justin Theroux.[4

42 minutes ago, MarMar said:

Here is who is coming up as quests in the first few episodes.  Looks like the cast of Silicon Valley is on this Sunday, April 16th.  I am really looking forward to the Jordan Peele and Charlie Hunnam shows.

Guests confirmed to appear in upcoming episodes include Bryan Cranston, Damon Lindelof, the cast of Silicon Valley, Jordan Peele, Christina Ricci, Michelle Monaghan, Charlie Hunnam, Connie Britton and Justin Theroux.[4

No love for Tami Taylor?!?! How dare ye!

I was more invested with the cast of Silicon Valley, so I watched this one the whole way through, but something still felt off to me. It doesn't have the same organic conversation feel of the podcast, and while I agree with you, @MarMar, it its miles ahead of your standard talk show, the format still feels a little stiff.

I think there are two issues I noticed:

• The commercials - I don't think you're going to be able to do anything with this on AMC outside of shooting the whole thing as one conversation and splicing the commercials in where it's most feasible.
  • The audience and internet questions - I know Chris said he wanted to incorporate the after-show and Comic-Con panel style to the show, but I think it's easily the weakest part of the show. Questions from the audience are usually pretty weak and superficial (Elijah was very good at not making them seem that way), and the guests quickly go into a state of preparedness when those types of questions come up.

I agree, the audience questions slowed the show down and was not as much fun as the first half. I still enjoyed the show but am glad I DVR it and can skip through the commercials. All three seemed like interesting people and I think I may start watching their show now.   I think a lot of my enjoyment will depend on the guest. I have seen Bryan Cranston on other talk show and he has been a great guest. Very witty. I am looking forward to his episode.  

• Love 2

I thought the cast of Silicone Valley was a much better show than the first one although my favorite Kumail was not there. But I do agree the audience questions are usually the weakest parts. I've only been to 1 "con" and seriously, every panel someone got up and asked the exact same question every single time, "do you hang out?/get along/ and what pranks do you play on each other?" These guys just happened to have really excellent answers to that. But after the 500th time it just gets old. I think it's always going to be as good as the guest is. Bryan Cranston will be a phenomenal guest.

• Love 2

I loved the show with James Corden!  I thought the format worked really well and James was a fun guest. As has been the experience, the first half was more entertaining than the second, but I enjoyed the whole thing. The audience questions were better but I could do without all of the gift giving. James seems like a lovely fellow!

• Love 1

I really enjoyed Charlie Hunnam. He's been a favorite of mine for a long time and I just love his personality. He seems like such a cool guy and from the way he talks about it, you can tell he really enjoys acting and he seems appreciative of fans. Plus he's absolutly gorgeous, so that doesn't hurt :)

• Love 3

I've been enjoying these. It's not hyper Chris stroking the show creators or actors about their shows ala Talking Dead. I find the interview rather introspective. But this latest with Jamie Alexander was off a bit. She seemed uncomfortable even though they know each other and for the life of me I couldn't figure out what the hell she was wearing and that distracted me the whole episode. It looked like she had an apron on or a cheap overall top, to where I didn't know if she was covering a pregnancy or something?  And those silver shoes. Just not one of the better episodes. I did like the part where she talked about the self defense techniques and knives interesting. 

• Love 1
On 7/12/2018 at 1:29 PM, CoachWristletJen said:

Actually I thought Marilyn Manson was a great guest. Didn’t know a lot about him beforehand but he appeared gentle, soft-spoken and highly intelligent. I like the delicious darkness but that’s just the tip of the iceberg with him.

I saw a bit of that episode and found him strangely enjoyable. When I came online the next day, people were skewering him. Now that Chris is allowed back outside, maybe I can find the episode online and see if my assessment is the same.