Type keyword(s) to search

Brockmire - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Awww, I've missed Charles!

Even though telling the truth about his mother drove his sister away, I'm glad he decided to stop keeping it a secret.

Given what we've seen of their mom, his sister is lucky she didn't have her around for the last 20+ years.

• Love 1

S3.E5: Clubhouse Chemistry

Brockmire urges Charles to leave a toxic relationship; Charles is appalled by Gus' producing skills; Brockmire becomes infatuated with Matt Hardesty's nurse.

Charles' favorite move:

New Jim:

Original air date: 4/30/19

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

This show is just incredibly consistently funny. Yes, they swear and yes, the topics are "adult", but you dont laugh because they swear or talk about sex...you laugh since the characters are so well developed, the jokes are well written and then are delivered soooooo well.

The jokes come at you so fast, it is hard to keep track, but I laughed the whole time

• Love 5
41 minutes ago, AriAu said:

The jokes come at you so fast, it is hard to keep track, but I laughed the whole time

Ditto. I love the interactions b/w Jim and Charles. I've missed him this season.

Also, the show did a nice job of humanizing "The Bat." He and Brockmire had nice scenes that show what character the show can have.

• Love 1

This episode was both hilarious and touching. I will never tire of Florida jokes. Loved Charles telling Brockmire what he wanted to do while he was in town: "Lil' Diazepam, he's a Soundcloud rapper with a full-face tatt of Steve Jobs - he just got out on bail so he's throwing a midnight rager in the second largest sinkhole of East Orlando." But I also loved when Brockmire teared up telling the Bat how he thinks of Charles as a son and then later TOLD CHARLES to his face that he loves him.

I still see Schillinger whenever JK Simmons is on my tv, but he did such a great job dropping his harsh mask and being honest with Brockmire. I hope they end up staying friends.

• Love 1
(edited)

S3.E6: Placed on Waivers

Brockmire goes out of his way to be a good friend when Gabby discovers she is pregnant and finds her wife cheating on her.

Ode to Clemenza:

Sauced up:

Original air date: 5/8/19

Well, we found out one thing....kind, supportive good hearted Brockmire is just not very funny.

Drunk Brockmire-funny. Sarcastic Brockmire-funny, Stoned Brockmire-hysterically funny. Mean spirited/corrupt/coldhearted Brockmire-outrageously funny. Petty/vengeful/ jealous Brockmire-comedy gold But nice Brockmire....not so much

Only funny part was the Panda Express rants, but otherwise, not funny and frankly, not that interesting.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Door County Cherry said:

I actually enjoyed it quite a bi, especially how he didn't let Gabby's meltdown get out of control.

Let's not forget his concern for the tortoise he inherited w/ the apartment.

The Panda Express rants were classic Brockmire. He is a different character sober, but he still can go off, he's just quicker to realize it and try to pull himself back, w/ varying degrees of success.

• Love 2

I've really enjoyed this season, and this week was actually touching. Everything about Panda Express was great, the intermixed confessional and baseball calls were great, and I've really started to like Gabby. it's gone from a wild show to a pretty nice one, and I've enjoyed it both ways. 

• Love 3
(edited)

S3.E7: Disabled List

Brockmire deals with sobriety-induced impotence and Matt's declining health; his AA sponsor reminds Brockmire that he needs to find a higher power if he wants his anxiety gone.

Sweaty first date:

Moral compass:

Original air date: 5/15/19

(edited)

Well, that took this show to a whole new level of profanity and irreverence.....and it was very funny.

The actress playing Maggie is really doing a great job of showing all kinds of real emotions-despite the whole goofy approach to trying to "get with" Brockmire,she still showed some genuine caring and emotion in the scene in the hospital telling him that the Bat didnt have long to live. Oh, yeah, she was all kind of funny too. By the way, do you think they named her Maggie just to hear Brockmire say it with that accent since it is a name that sounds great coming out of his mouth (bad phrase in all kinds of ways after this episode)....but so does Lucy.

And, yes, the church of baseball thing was so obvious that I am disappointed with my self for not seeing it coming.  I did feel a need to hear the monologue about the church of baseball that leads off Bull Durham ("108 beads in a Catholic rosary and 108 stitches in a baseball") and while different, both Annie Savoy and Brockmire and Matt the Bat did it well.

Edited by AriAu
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, AriAu said:

Well, that took this show to a whole new level of profanity and irreverence.....and it was very funny.

How true. And, as you said about baseball as religion, it was touching and sentimental w/o being maudlin. Nice to see Brockmire and Matt the Bat having a real connection at the end. 

Maggie's a really nice addition to this season's motley crew around Brockmire. 

So, unless he completely fucks it up, it looks like next season (assuming there is a next season) he'll be back in The Show. Well, behind the mike w/ the A's who play teams in The Show. 

(edited)

The saddest moment for me was when Brockmire said that he and Matt knew each other for 30 years but they only got to enjoy each other's company for 5 weeks. They are both different people now (dying of cancer, recovering alcoholic) than they were 30 years ago so even if they hadn't spent all their time antagonizing each other, they probably weren't ready to be friends back then, but still. Brockmire and Matt are both very solitary people so to finally have an open, honest, intimate friendship only to have it end so quickly made me sad for both of them.

If I were Maggie, I would be a little nervous about being with someone who has never had sex, seen a naked woman, or been in a relationship while sober so I appreciate that she seems game for it (even things like his suggestion to fold his flaccid dick in half and shove it in to see if that works) and that she isn't taking any of it personally.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 5/18/2019 at 3:12 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

If I were Maggie, I would be a little nervous about being with someone who has never had sex, seen a naked woman, or been in a relationship while sober so I appreciate that she seems game for it (even things like his suggestion to fold his flaccid dick in half and shove it in to see if that works) and that she isn't taking any of it personally.

Well she was a fan and I guess she figures he has to start somewhere.  What I also appreciated about that scene was that their intimate outing didn't end when he couldn't get it up as it usually does on TV. 

(edited)

SEASON FINALE!

S3.E8: Opening Day

Brockmire and Gabby finally get a chance to call their first regular season MLB game for Oakland, but are confronted by protestors who are disciples of bigot Art Newlie.

Donuts and coffee:

Original air date: 5/22/19

Assuming it gets renewed, I guess we've seen the last of Jules, which is too bad because I really enjoy Amanda Peet. I did like Maggie, though. And I liked Jean's understanding of what Martha Plimpton needed at the moment. Some things are universal. 

I also thought Jim and Gabby's speeches were fantastic, and the kind of thing I'd really prefer people to say instead of getting too angry about the situation. Those two have very nice chemistry an have in implicit understanding of each other. 

Hope they get to bring it back. It's a fun half hour. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Comedy gold...again.  It is always difficult at first to see Brockmire as a good guy, but then I remember, for all his demons, he is a good guy deep down, with a strong sense of right and wrong....when not drunk or high.

"It  ends up that not having a cocaine problem is just a good way to save money"....with the perfect delivery was great even if Maggie (can't type it without hearing his accent in my head) turning him down...as she should have. I will miss you "Sauce Bitch"

And, he had the PERFECT line for 2019 when he said "where it seems like stupidity and ignorance are the only things being rewarded"!

Hope they get to bring it back. It's a fun half hour. 

It's a really fun half hour and I am going to miss it but it was re-newed for season 4 at the same time they re-uped for season 3.

https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/brockmire-season-three-ratings/

While Gabby was nice and they did have some good chemistry, I hope he moves on and finds some new people to play off of.....although I would be happy if Charles comes back. His Tampa attacks were good, but he needs to move on and likely that means no more Clemenza in our lives. Giving Jim a pet turtle was absolute inspired lunacy

Edited by AriAu

Very enjoyable half-hour and end of a good season. It's hard to go wrong making jokes at Florida's expense. And the season ended w/ more than a few good shots. And speaking of shots, I was glad that Jim managed to maintain his sobriety and really did try to help Martha Plimpton's character. Fortunately his sister was still around.

I love how everyone likes Jules and has no problem telling Brockmire about it. I don't know if Amanda Peet won't make any more appearances since she's engaged to Hall of Famer and Brockmire's best friend George Brett. Moreover, Brockmire's been invited to be a member of the wedding party. I can see an episode devoted to his attendance and even him having to step in and give the toast due to the best man somehow being indisposed. And, if not planning, he'll be invited to Brett's bachelor party. Plenty of comedy situations in all of that.

I'm going to miss Clemenza. Like Brockmire, I was so proud that s/he finally managed to make it onto the couch.

• Love 2

I thought the start of the season was weak. In large part because the strength of the show rests on its relationships and Jules and Charles were gone and we didn't know the new characters. But it got better as it went along and was in top form by the episode with Gabby's pregnancy test. Brockmire developing a sober romantic relationship, Brockmire and Matt facing mortality, Brockmire and Shirley struggling to keep sober. All good stuff.

(One thing I thought was strange is that the didn't really develop Richard Kind's character.)

I just saw a promo on IFC for Brockmire "The Final Season" starting March 18

Is it wrong how excited I am for this....altho I am bummed that this is "The Final Season". The 55 seconds of promo made me smile and excited for the possibilities it opens.......altho, let's face it, the show could be about just about anything in baseball and it would still be pure gold.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

the first five minutes or so are eeerie considering what is going on right now.

I thought the exact same thing.

The daughter storyline really came out of nowhere. I thought that it was going to turn out that the auntie just pointed to whoever happened to be on the tv at the time as her father. But considering that Brockmire spent a lot of time having drunk sex, I guess it's more surprising that he only had one kid out there.

Bryce Harper will make over 23 million dollars in 2030. He's not leaving MLB.

But otherwise, that morning show intro was kind of spooky. I think the writers thought they had turned the scenarios up to 12. But then Australia caught fire and the coronavirus hit and it now feels like a ten. "Well, I guess everything else moves faster these days, why not the end of times."

"Staten Island is still Staten Island." HA!

I liked the way they developed the relationship between Brockmire and Beth. The actors worked well together. (Casting has always been a strong point of the show.)

RIP Clemenza.

• Love 1

I liked the way they developed the relationship between Brockmire and Beth. The actors worked well together. (Casting has always been a strong point of the show.)

I agree with all of this, particularly about the casting and the way the actors work soooo well together (especially Tawny Newsome as Gabby last year and Carrie Preston as that incredible insane match for him New Orleans), but this is BROCKMIRE. It needs to be disgustingly hilarious and this episode just wasnt.

• Love 1

While there were some nice touches of irony and good foreshadowing, I watch this show to laugh out loud and I didnt....at all. Love the character, but so far we are not seeing the guy we have seen in the prior seasons.

Also, why was Charles hanging around in the hallways?

Ok, I did laugh at the "he's going full Godfather 2" line

Narrative content streams. Is that actually a thing?

Batty was indeed batty. Meanwhile, why doesn't MLB use colored bats? Would it be too much of a distraction? 🤔

Wow, I almost didn't recognize Charles. By 2030 he has certainly achieved a look.

Guernica as a self-portrait reference. OMG, no. Not unless you're psychotic. 🙄

Brockmire tried to touch a Black woman's hair. He doesn't value his life, apparently. That's a definite social boundary not to be crossed casually. 😮

Full Godfather 2: Just when Beth thought she was out, Brockmire pulled her back in! Who'd've thought Brockmire would turn out to be such an overprotective parent?

Edited by Joimiaroxeu

Part of me appreciates just how absurd yet accurate the show's vision of the future is. But the other part of me misses how outrageously funny the show used to be.

I wasn't sure how much I would like the time jump or the daughter storyline. On the one hand, it's nice to see that Brockmire was finally able to stop being such a selfish asshole and love someone wholeheartedly and without reservation. He clearly adores her and has become a better person in order to be a good parent. On the other hand, a whole episode about how he is a stage five clinger and needs to give her some space spread over two years?

I did love the Godfather 2 line as well as his tiny foot shuffle to turn the chair like the kids in Sleepless in Seattle.

• Love 1
On 3/27/2020 at 1:08 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Batty was indeed batty.

I laughed in one of the following "One Year Later" scenes where you see Batty in the background drinking a beer ... I think it might have been when Brockmire was mentioning that they discontinued the colored bat initiative.

• Love 2

I haven't loved this season. Barely have even liked it. This week was way to many ads and apocalypse stuff. The show has gone from a hilarious watch to a sentinmental but enjoyable one to no fun at all. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, whiporee said:

I haven't loved this season. Barely have even liked it. This week was way to many ads and apocalypse stuff. The show has gone from a hilarious watch to a sentinmental but enjoyable one to no fun at all. 

I feel the same.  Wth am I watching??  Did all the good writers die and get replaced by random AI gibberish or something??    If the plotlines don't lose the weirdness and return to funny immediately, I don't think I'll watch more than one more episode.  It already feels like RIP, Brockmier to me.    :(  So far, I've forgotten about the show 3 times and had to watch it on demand.  :/   2017-2019 Brockmier wasn't nearly so easy to forget.

• Love 1

Absolute garbage. I had to wade through Jules' story to get to 2 minutes with Brockmire. As bad as this was I am optimistic that their magic can be reborn and the series can be at least watchable. What the hell was with the stupid commercials?

No kidding. I almost felt insulted. Brockmire is not going out with a bang apparently.

Are we going to find out soon that this has all been a cruel joke and that they will bring back the real Brockmire for anotehr season. Maybe we see him in the shower with Lucy....ala Dallas or something. 

The first few episodes were not all that interesting or funny, but watching Jules was just painful

• LOL 1

S4.E4: Comeback Player of the Year

Jim and Jules agree to keep their relationship professional, but when they team up to trick the owners into selling the teams to new owners who will let them make the changes they want, their antics remind them of the relationship they used to have.

Original air date: 4/8/20

"Cleveland Colonizers" doesn't seem to me like a joke that would be made 13 years from now. I have to hope the "colonizers" scorn won't still need to be a thing by 2033. But if it is, I hope a Native tribe buys the Redskins first. (Yeah, I know that's football instead of baseball.)

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

. I have to hope the "colonizers" scorn won't still need to be a thing by 2033. But if it is, I hope a Native tribe buys the Redskins first. (Yeah, I know that's football instead of baseball.)

If Jim keeps turning baseball around, the other leagues will eventually hire him and he will have the new position - Commissioner of Major Sports.

• Love 1

I laughed long and hard at this one, though. And I bet they could make a lot of money selling Colonizer jerseys (I know it was pointed out, but the charactature face licking the blood off the knife was a great touch). I also liked the owners convincing themselves they were good men, as well as Brockmire's threatening rant (reminded me a lot of Dogma, which, you might not know, is not available on any streaming service). 

Maybe there's still hope 🙂

Edited by whiporee