Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Primetimer

Brockmire

Recommended Posts

Hank is so great in his voice character but it doesn't seem annoying.

My boyfriend watching asked isn't the younger dude from Everyone Hates Chris, I told him he clearly was wrong because he wasnt the dude who grew up to be in The Walking Dead. He isnt the same person  but he did play toddler Chris in Everybody Hates Chris!

Share this post


Link to post

After watching the first two episodes I think I kinda like this. It's a little "raunchy" which is something different that what we normally see on cable shows outside of HBO, Showtime, etc. I don't quite get the doing play-by-play over the loudspeaker because there's no radio contact but I'll let it slide ... for now. I like the "social media" guy who's live-broadcasting the games on his phone camera. I'll be curious to see what else they do with him and I would like to see them flesh-out some of the players a bit more too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Hank is so great in his voice character but it doesn't seem annoying.

My boyfriend watching asked isn't the younger dude from Everyone Hates Chris, I told him he clearly was wrong because he wasnt the dude who grew up to be in The Walking Dead. He isnt the same person  but he did play toddler Chris in Everybody Hates Chris!

That's his brother!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

"Freemasons!" (The setup for that line was perfect.)

"I'm not gonna lie to you Jules. . . "

Amanda Peet shotgunning a beer. . . I would have had the same reaction as Brockmire.

(She originally tried to do it for real and took a can to the face.)

Edited by xaxat

Share this post


Link to post

Also, I don't think he has spoken yet but Ryan Lee, Warren from Trophy Wife is one of the ball players which makes me happy!

Share this post


Link to post

"The combination of delicate features and masculine build."

"A doozy of a pickle of a shitstorm."

This show will definitely get nominated for writing awards. Hank Azaria is killing it too.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Watched the first two episodes and am LOVING this ... hope it can keep it up ... having covered minor league baseball for 30 years (yup, saw a few games at Luther Williams Field back in the day) I love the line it is managing to straddle between completely awesomely ridiculous and completely awesomely accurate!

I tend to be very overly picky about films/TV shows that purport to be about the minors because they so rarely get it right (Bull Durham was close, the underrated and relatively unknown Sugar was my personal favorite and closest to hitting the mark) ... since this doesn't pretend to be "real" I am not being picky and yet there's still (ironically) a lot of realism ...

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

Watched the first two episodes and am LOVING this ... hope it can keep it up ... having covered minor league baseball for 30 years (yup, saw a few games at Luther Williams Field back in the day) I love the line it is managing to straddle between completely awesomely ridiculous and completely awesomely accurate!

I tend to be very overly picky about films/TV shows that purport to be about the minors because they so rarely get it right (Bull Durham was close, the underrated and relatively unknown Sugar was my personal favorite and closest to hitting the mark) ... since this doesn't pretend to be "real" I am not being picky and yet there's still (ironically) a lot of realism ...

I want to know some of the realism now!

Share this post


Link to post

I just realized that David Walton is playing the sleazy oil exec.  He has shorter hair so I didn't recognize him at first.  Good to have him back in something. He co-starred with Peet in the sadly short-lived Bent and then went on to play a similar character in the also sadly short-lived About a Boy. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/15/2017 at 10:30 AM, GussieK said:

He co-starred with Peet in the sadly short-lived Bent and then went on to play a similar character in the also sadly short-lived About a Boy. 

Which is why I want his show cursing self off this show! Not really I enjoy him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/16/2017 at 9:42 PM, biakbiak said:

Which is why I want his show cursing self off this show!

Don't be too worried, I think the show has already gotten the go-ahead for Season 2!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Brockmire's "Vin Scully from hell" monologues are brilliant. "We have no more cheeks to give!"

It's a credit to Peet and Azaria that their characters remain compelling despite being so dysfunctional. I also like the fact that the writers have made the commitment that there is no redemption arc for them. This is who they are. Azaria was great in his final confrontation with Lucy. Even though Brockmire was talking about an eternal hate, he managed to come across as sympathetic.

They pay a lot of attention to detail on this show. The sign outside of the bar with "T-u-r-t-(upside down red 7 because we lost all of the black "L"s)-e" Races. And it couldn't have been a coincidence that the Lucy/Jim dynamic started out with Lucy wearing white, Jim in black. Switched to them in neutral/white and ended with Lucy in black/Jim in white.

I could have done without seeing that guy's junk hanging out from his short shorts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Whoever writes Brockmire's dialogue should get all the awards. Just when you're stunned by one thing he says, here comes something even worse. And it's often so multi-leveled that you have to think about it for a half a minute before fullness of it sinks in. Absolutely brilliant.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I can't take ASMR but I would totally watch Brockmire do it for an hour and a half.

Taylor Swift and Drake sex tape would certainly be a showstopper but not as much as a Taylor Swift and Kanye sex tape.

I need a Brockhead t-shirt. I love this guy.

Share this post


Link to post

A good episode, although perhaps not up to the standard set by the previous ones.

The Ira Glass "cameo" was great. I could totally empathize with Charles' efforts to convince Brockmire how huge that endorsement could be. Back in the nineties, when I was a manager at a bookstore, I wound up explaining to a first time author how much his life would change after his upcoming appearance on Oprah. Her book club was relatively new, and he had no idea how much influence she had.

Next week should be interesting.

Share this post


Link to post

Kind of surprised they introduced a baby plotline this early in the series.

I thought that batteries recyling joke was in poor taste, even for this show.

Meh, swing and a miss for this episode.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Meh, swing and a miss for this episode.

I agree. The last two episodes haven't been up to the standard set by the first ones. I did kind of like the doctor though. His competence and sanity was such a contrast to everyone else on the show.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 2017-5-4 at 10:31 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Kind of surprised they introduced a baby plotline this early in the series.

I thought that batteries recyling joke was in poor taste, even for this show.

Meh, swing and a miss for this episode.

The batteries joke was in poor taste but i think that was the point... that the doctor couldnt believe these fucking people and then when he turned away they were looking at him like he was weird hahaha. I thought it was a pretty funny and light episode, which is surpising given the subject matter.

Also the beat it joke made me laugh pretty hard... and how fast he ran!

Share this post


Link to post

Im glad this week they showed brockmire waking up to how he is/ has been by seeing footage of himself and hopefully this leads to some progress but of course it never happens all at once and amanda peet was especially hilarious this episode! Amazing grace and the masked man burning the field ( u just knew it was gona happen) was also too funny!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/9/2017 at 10:26 AM, Doyounot said:

Also the beat it joke made me laugh pretty hard... and how fast he ran!

He may not be able to throw... but he can run :p so he has that going for him. 

Share this post


Link to post

The look on Hank Azaria's face when Brockmire realized that he'd "always been like this!" was just amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
On 2017-5-11 at 9:07 PM, wayne67 said:

He may not be able to throw... but he can run :p so he has that going for him. 

Yes! I forgot that part I think its hilarious how he narrates almost everything whether people are around or not even as a child! Brockmire not taking any chances starting in the old missionary position and again amanda peet was funny just gave up trying to get him to stop and ended up gagging him.

 

15 hours ago, meep.meep said:

The look on Hank Azaria's face when Brockmire realized that he'd "always been like this!" was just amazing.

Awesome part i know theres alot of dumb dirty jokes that i laugh way too hard at in this show but every episode they seem to have a moment or two of sincerity that makes it, in my opinion, one of the greats when combined with the filthiness!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I think Brockmire started veering into a bit of drunk Harry Carey. Standup comedian John Caponera pretty much wrote the book on that impression so I was kind of cringing to see Hank Azaria heading in that direction.

So is every season going to be Brockmire in a new city as he works his way back to the majors? Hated to see him and Jules break up but I'm glad at least that Charles is going with him to New Orleans. Oh the fun they can get into there.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

So is every season going to be Brockmire in a new city as he works his way back to the majors?

I think Jules is right. He's going to come crawling back. 

Favorite moments. Charles and Brockmire realizing they are friends. Joe Buck has a white gloved butler. All of Amanda Peet's scenes. 

The stadium they film at has the biggest foul territory I have ever seen. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, xaxat said:

I think Jules is right. He's going to come crawling back. 

Favorite moments. Charles and Brockmire realizing they are friends. Joe Buck has a white gloved butler. All of Amanda Peet's scenes. 

Lol why ? She's not a catch. She's a red hot mess in charge of a stadium that only started to turn around when he came on the scene and the place had some kind of unique appeal again. He really doesn't need another alcoholic barely holding it together in his life. If he gets a better paying job with more prestige he's bound to meet more stable women... or expensive escorts. It's not much of a loss as far as I can see.

I do like how Charles and Brockmire's relationship has progressed. Seems to be more intergenerational, interracial friendships on tv lately. It's nice. So many subtle digs to be made about technology, race and the unifying theme of malfunctions. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, wayne67 said:

Lol why ? She's not a catch. She's a red hot mess in charge of a stadium that only started to turn around when he came on the scene and the place had some kind of unique appeal again. He really doesn't need another alcoholic barely holding it together in his life. If he gets a better paying job with more prestige he's bound to meet more stable women... or expensive escorts. It's not much of a loss as far as I can see.

I do like how Charles and Brockmire's relationship has progressed. Seems to be more intergenerational, interracial friendships on tv lately. It's nice. So many subtle digs to be made about technology, race and the unifying theme of malfunctions. 

While i agree it would absolutely be good for brockmire to work towards making it to new york eventually and maybe meeting more stable women... or expensive escorts ha! I do hope he does come crawling back because amanda peet is too funny for her to be off the show! But also he said he loves her and they were good together not just comedy wise but as partners both in turning the team/town into something and as a couple. Sure some would call it enabling each other but ide like to think of it as accepting each other for who they are lol plus if the team/town keeps improving maybe they could get their shit together...together. And besides lets be honest i have my doubts about him making it not drinking from 6am to 5pm and coke only on the weekends! 

If only she went with him i wouldnt be so torn as to what i hope happens next season but shes trying to build something there i get that.

I didnt even think of charles going with him thats awesome as they did become friends and also worked well together despite being complete opposites. They also learned from each other i was shocked when brockmire brought up live streaming and when charles told him what was going on in the game. I laughed my ass off when he drunkenly asked "what year is it... is it the current year... that it is? Thats not right"

The show could still be great with charles there in a different city with different crazy characters for brockmire to interact with! But again i hope he goes crawling back and tries to fix things even though she rightfully told him to go fuck himself!

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Doyounot said:

The show could still be great with charles there in a different city with different crazy characters for brockmire to interact with! But again i hope he goes crawling back and tries to fix things even though she rightfully told him to go fuck himself!

But why is she right for telling to go fuck himself for wanting to take a better opportunity for his career after a decade of being completely out of the game? 

Just because he loves her doesn't mean he should tie himself down in a town that has nothing much going for it other than the abundance of stupid/violent drunks.

While she's perfectly within her rights to want to stay and improve her business and town... That doesn't obligate anyone else to do the same. 

Do we even know whether this show will get another season? 

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, wayne67 said:

Lol why ? She's not a catch. She's a red hot mess in charge of a stadium that only started to turn around when he came on the scene and the place had some kind of unique appeal again. He really doesn't need another alcoholic barely holding it together in his life. If he gets a better paying job with more prestige he's bound to meet more stable women... or expensive escorts. It's not much of a loss as far as I can see.

Because they are a perfectly codependent couple. That equation goes both ways. Brockmire is also no catch and he had his success only because she allowed him to behave in a manner no other employer would.  Brockmire is not going to change his ways (that ball of hate won't let him) and I feel confident he will fuck up this opportunity.

In addition, Amanda Peet is great in the role. They would be crazy to give up on the chemistry she has with Azaria. 

3 hours ago, wayne67 said:

Do we even know whether this show will get another season? 

Yes! There will be.

Edited by xaxat
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, wayne67 said:

But why is she right for telling to go fuck himself for wanting to take a better opportunity for his career after a decade of being completely out of the game? 

I think from her pov telling him off was just because she was hurt for him leaving her and not because he was following his dream (she said she understood he had to). Im glad she stood up for herself and reacted emotionally like a real person would!

Also i agree no one should feel obligated to change their dream for someone else only if they want to should they and right now he doesnt.

7 hours ago, xaxat said:

Because they are a perfectly codependent couple. That equation goes both ways. Brockmire is also no catch and he had his success only because she allowed him to behave in a manner no other employer would.  Brockmire is not going to change his ways (that ball of hate won't let him) and I feel confident he will fuck up this opportunity.

Agree but also from what we heard he already did change a bit when he met her AND started commentating baseball again because those 10 years he was doing worse than in the show - suicidal thoughts, possibly heavier alcohol and drug use and escorts (but that whatever). I think she was a LITTLE bit of a positive influence (not just for giving him his shot and allowing him to behave in his messed up way making his comeback possible but also for making him care for someone again like he said).

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Doyounot said:

Agree but also from what we heard he already did change a bit when he met her AND started commentating baseball again because those 10 years he was doing worse than in the show - suicidal thoughts, possibly heavier alcohol and drug use and escorts (but that whatever). I think she was a LITTLE bit of a positive influence (not just for giving him his shot and allowing him to behave in his messed up way making his comeback possible but also for making him care for someone again like he said).

I think Charles is a better influence on Brockmire than his love interest. He caught him up on modern advancements, helped him to work out his parental anxiety. That other relationship is awfully codependent and unhealthy,  what with the pregnancy and coke habits. YMMV

I guess we'll see what happens next season. I wouldn't be surprised if he has another spectacular meltdown and returns but I doubt they'd get back together again. 

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, wayne67 said:

I think Charles is a better influence on Brockmire than his love interest. He caught him up on modern advancements, helped him to work out his parental anxiety. That other relationship is awfully codependent and unhealthy,  what with the pregnancy and coke habits. YMMV

I guess we'll see what happens next season. I wouldn't be surprised if he has another spectacular meltdown and returns but I doubt they'd get back together again. 

I agree with everything you said exept the unhealthy part but to each his own. I also doubt he could fix things seeing as how hurt she is but you never know with time and also they dont have to be together for it to be funny! Even with him and charles in different city i still think it would be one of my favorites! Just brockmire talking make me die of laughter!

Share this post


Link to post

Finally caught up on DVR'd episodes (not for lack of interest, we just all had to be in the same place at the same time, because nobody wanted to miss it!).  The DVR cut out right when Jim and Charles were driving off and one of them started to say something to the other!  Anybody able to tell me what that was?

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Jobiska said:

Finally caught up on DVR'd episodes (not for lack of interest, we just all had to be in the same place at the same time, because nobody wanted to miss it!).  The DVR cut out right when Jim and Charles were driving off and one of them started to say something to the other!  Anybody able to tell me what that was?

Charles: so this apartment were getting in new orleans, im assuming its a two bedroom, cause i dont know if i can handle a bert and ernie twin bed situation

Brockmire: i actually understood that reference

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Doyounot said:

Charles: so this apartment were getting in new orleans, im assuming its a two bedroom, cause i dont know if i can handle a bert and ernie twin bed situation

Brockmire: i actually understood that reference

Wow!  Thanks, @Doyounot!  I will cut and paste and message to my menfolk right now, as that is definitely not to be missed!

Share this post


Link to post

So Joe Buck gets bad info and misidentifies the girlfriend of this weeks US Open winner, Brooks Koepke.

This has to be part of the next season's feud.

Edited by xaxat
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

The show returns April 25th. But you can watch it on IFC's YouTube channel now.

Still hilarious.

I accidentally started watching it while looking for something on demand to watch (and I didn't even think I got the channel on my cable system), but then I found I liked it. Hank Azaria is great.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×