Type keyword(s) to search

Marvelous Media for Mrs. Maisel

• Start Topic

18 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series - Alex Borstein

I didn't like the character of Susie, but now that Alex Borstein has won the Emmy, I realize I wasn't supposed to "like" her. Usually I get that with unlikable characters without having to have it pointed out to me, but Alex Borstein was just that good--I couldn't divorce my dislike of the character from the actor.

2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I didn't like the character of Susie, but now that Alex Borstein has won the Emmy, I realize I wasn't supposed to "like" her. Usually I get that with unlikable characters without having to have it pointed out to me, but Alex Borstein was just that good--I couldn't divorce my dislike of the character from the actor.

Winning the Emmy doesn't change my view of the character.

I don't usually see the ASP repeats Gilmore Girls everywhere connections.   But the Susie character feels like an homage to every acerbic character Melissa McCarthy has played post Gilmore Girls.

2 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

Winning the Emmy doesn't change my view of the character.

Nor mine. 
And winning the Emmy wasn't really what made me realize that it was just the character who repulsed me rather than the actor—rather, it was more that enough time had passed since I saw the show that I could finally separate the character from the actor in my mind—something I tend to easily do when others don't—which makes me think she's that much better.
IDK, it does look like she might always play obnoxious characters—so there's that.
Fun fact: Given that she was born in 1971 and attended elementary school in Deerfield, Illinois, my mother would have been the school secretary who would have put a bandaid on her knee on the days when the school district nurse was at one of the other schools.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Readalot said:

Love all the wins and can’t wait until next season. However, Amy was so annoying in her acceptance speeches. I found her that way during GG interviews. I wonder if her crew and staff had problems working for her 

All I could think was: She should never be allowed to speak in public. We all have our skill sets--that is not hers.
In the future, whenever they have an "accepting the Emmy (or Oscar or whatever) for So-and-so is . . ." I will think: Good for knowing your limits--although I would assume most actors would do well with an acceptance speech--but writers and such? Not necessarily.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1
On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 8:52 PM, shapeshifter said:

All I could think was: She should never be allowed to speak in public. We all have our skill sets--that is not hers.
In the future, whenever they have an "accepting the Emmy (or Oscar or whatever) for So-and-so is . . ." I will think: Good for knowing your limits--although I would assume most actors would do well with an acceptance speech--but writers and such? Not necessarily.

Totally agree -- from her public speaking all the way from GG to MMM, Amy comes across as smug, self-amused, not particularly funny, and abrasive -- and I don't think she cares one bit unfortunately.  I truly love her work and the atmospheres, dialogue and characters she creates but believe that I would just hate working around her.

• Love 5

I keep checking for the announcement of the second season airdate, and while I didn't find that, I did find this in a Utah paper:

With the wild success of the first season, “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” has already been renewed for a third season before the release of season two.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I keep checking for the announcement of the second season airdate, and while I didn't find that, I did find this in a Utah paper:

FWIW, from Deadline:

‘The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel’ Season 2 To Definitely Stream This Year
by Anthony D'Alessandro September 17, 2018 8:45pm

“They’re being so cagey” said The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel creator Amy Sherman-Palladino about Amazon not revealing the season 2 drop date for her eight-Emmy winning comedy series.

She finally confessed backstage at the Emmys that season 2 is coming “this year, they’re waiting for us to finish the show, it’s coming out this year.”

So, 2 things:

• Does "this year" mean this calendar year (2018) or this TV year (2018-2019)?
  • "they're waiting for us to finish the show" makes it sound like ASP is saying "this year" is a way of psyching herself and/or the whole show team into a commitment of getting it done in time to air this calendar year. But here we are more than half way through October, so maybe January?

Yeah, the "this year" comment was made more than a month ago, so I always assumed it meant before the end of this calendar year.  I'm pretty sure they've finished filming, so it's 'just' the editing that needs to be done.  

• Love 1

I absolutely love Suzie although I recognize I would probably not love her in real life.

I am skeptical about the intention to "open up the show" this year. For instance, 

Spoiler

Midge going to Paris along with her parents couldn't possibly interest me less. That is a complete WTF to me as far as what this show is about.

I thought the primary weakness of Mrs. Maisel last season was the parts where they opened up and we got too much Mom and Dad, and LORD knows, too much in-laws, plus the Joel stuff. MY feeling is, tighten the damn focus, don't open it up more. 

We'll see. I didn't watch Gilmore Girls save for a few episodes, so until I started reading about the show runner in these forums, I didn't know what she was known for - or rather, what characteristics Gilmore Girls was known for. Now that I'm a bit up to speed, I'm like, oh, the parent situation will NEVER go away. This is about a female comic in NYC but it's also Gilmore Girlsy 1950s NYC.

• Love 3

I saw a still photo of Midge and Ethan in the park, and Ethan looks 6-8 inches taller and 2 years older than he was in the first season.  I don't think the kid will make it to the end of the series.

ETA:  I've been rewatching Season 1 and I noticed that Ethan is played by a set of brothers.

Edited by Quilt Fairy

Not quite sure where to post this but Amazon has a little 2 minute recap of Season 1 listed as S2 Ep0.  I really like the trailers and promos for this show, they put a lot of effort into picking just the right scenes and the right background music.  December 5th can't come soon enough!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Pallas said:

Was that Midge singing? Probably not? (My ancient original iPad Mini was choking.)

Anyway:

[Midge] Smell that?

[Suzie] Smells like piss and cheap beer.

[Midge] I know; it's exciting!

Meanwhile —

Is this NY Times article from the freakin' Real Estate section about Michael Zegen's hoarding tendencies really just a masquerading plug for the show with a goal to show us that the least interesting character is played by the least interesting actor? Or maybe it's just not much of an article?

Edited by shapeshifter
Spelling
  • Love 1

Golden Globe nominations!

Best Television Series – Musical or Comedy
Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series – Musical or Comedy: Rachel Brosnahan
Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television: Alex Borstein

12 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Golden Globe nominations!

Best Television Series – Musical or Comedy
Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series – Musical or Comedy: Rachel Brosnahan
Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television: Alex Borstein

I'm confused. The nominations are for the second season, right? How did they manage to watch the submissions in time?

26 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I'm confused. The nominations are for the second season, right? How did they manage to watch the submissions in time?

The Golden Globe eligibility window is the calendar year (January 1-December 31 of 2018). S2 dropped before December 31 so any nominations would have to be this year. Per the rules: “All television programs must be made available in any ‘common format’ (e.g. DVD, streaming link, etc.) to all HFPA members.” The deadline to submit nomination ballots was December 2 and technically you can only vote for movies and shows you have actually seen so I’m sure amazon provided access to the show at least several weeks ago to give people enough time to watch  

1 hour ago, Pallas said:

And the Golden Globe voters are the 90+ member of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association: they'd receive advance access anyway. 

Yeah, I just thought it wasn't wrapped until right before it was released to the public, which makes me wonder if

• the actors, writers, etc. would've submitted different scenes if they'd had more time to consider
  • if the voters based some of their decisions on last year's material

not that I think, in the case of this show, either of those things matter very much (because the overall quality is so consistently high, IMO).

"Why the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is More Subversive Than You Think it is" from Town and Country Magazine:

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/arts-and-culture/a25399462/marvelous-mrs-maisel-jewish-feminism/

Great points and one of my favorite parts, re Midge's kids:
Unlike her predecessor, Lorelai Gilmore, Midge isn’t cathected to her spawn, who are kept to the margins of the show. Small children, who tend to be, as Susie observes, sticky, don’t fit with the show’s glamorous, beautiful-single-woman-out-in-the-world ethos. And honestly, it’s a relief not to spend time with Midge as a mom; we get enough stickiness in our own lives. Give us the glamour.

• Love 2
On 12/17/2018 at 1:18 PM, WendyM said:

"Why the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is More Subversive Than You Think it is" from Town and Country Magazine:

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/arts-and-culture/a25399462/marvelous-mrs-maisel-jewish-feminism/

Great points and one of my favorite parts, re Midge's kids:
Unlike her predecessor, Lorelai Gilmore, Midge isn’t cathected to her spawn, who are kept to the margins of the show. Small children, who tend to be, as Susie observes, sticky, don’t fit with the show’s glamorous, beautiful-single-woman-out-in-the-world ethos. And honestly, it’s a relief not to spend time with Midge as a mom; we get enough stickiness in our own lives. Give us the glamour.

I don’t mind the kids being absent. I object to being shown active neglect. Just leave them out of the show. 

• Love 1

I'm really surprised that the writers claim in this article that the dance that opens Sophie's telethon in S2E9 (Vote for Kennedy) is "made up"or original.

From the article:

Question: "The variety show even has a dance number. I wonder, is that a real dance that existed, or did you make it up for the show?"

Amy Sherman-Palladino: It’s made-up. We have a brilliant choreographer named Marguerite Derricks.

Anyone who has ever seen Bobby Bana's choreography to Shirley Ellis' "Nitty Gritty" on The Judy Garland show can easily see that it is a direct lift.

Watch the video I linked, then watch S2E9, around 23:30, Previous to this article, I would have called it a lovely homage. Now? They stole it and didn't credit them. It's a shande.

Edited by basil
  • Love 1

Watch the video I linked, then watch S2E9, around 23:30, Previous to this article, I would have called it a lovely homage. Now? They stole it and didn't credit them. It's a shande.

Maybe I'm missing something in watching both, but while there are some superficial similarities, like the dancers' outfits, the dance being done in the Shirley Ellis video is fairly different from what they are doing in the Maisel episode.   

• Love 1
On 12/29/2018 at 2:34 PM, txhorns79 said:

Maybe I'm missing something in watching both, but while there are some superficial similarities, like the dancers' outfits, the dance being done in the Shirley Ellis video is fairly different from what they are doing in the Maisel episode.   

I don't see the similarities either. Heck, I'd go as far as saying that the cheographers were going for opposite dance language, in that Nitty Gritty is all about them shuffling left and right, while Pink Shoelaces was all about them bopping up and down.

https://deadline.com/2019/01/rachel-brosnahan-host-saturday-night-live-marvelous-mrs-maisel-greta-van-fleet-1202530720/

"Not a bad couple of days for Rachel Brosnahan. Fresh off her repeat Golden Globes win for Best Actress in a Comedy, the star of Amazon’s The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel has been set to host the new year’s first new Saturday Night Live episode, on January 19. It will be the Studio 8H SNL debut for the actress."

• Love 1

From deadline.com: https://deadline.com/2019/01/marvelous-mrs-maisel-sag-awards-sweep-tv-rachel-brosnahan-tony-shalhoub-1202543111/

Amazon’s The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel took the first three SAG awards given out this evening, for comedy series: Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor for Tony Shalhoub, Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor for Rachel Brosnahan, and the nine-member ensemble for Best Ensemble in a Comedy series.

• Love 1

Nice get for the Palladinos.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/mrs-maisel-showrunners-amy-sherman-palladino-dan-palladino-sign-new-amazon-deal-1186417?fbclid=IwAR1hFpLxtw3O65BBlVJ6zfLC-9eSjY8K5u0hZhhlaanuyFiQ4IyyBaJ7eJc

Amazon Studios is not letting go of Amy Sherman-Palladino and Daniel Palladino. The veteran TV scribes and showrunners of the breakout Amazon comedy The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel have signed a new overall deal with the streamer to develop projects for the expanding platform.

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel has been one of the most significant series to arrive on any streaming outlet, breaking through at both the Golden Globes and the Emmys and giving the producing duo a level of cred they never really got on their previous big effort, Gilmore Girls.

“Amy and Dan have a remarkable partnership, grounded in their complete trust in each other and evidenced by the magic they create onscreen — especially with revolutionary roles for women and with their trademark brilliant dialogue,” Amazon Studios head Jennifer Salke said Wednesday in a statement. "We celebrate the critical success of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and our extended overall deal with them, which will allow our Amazon Prime audience to continue to enjoy their groundbreaking show and future original series from this incredible duo.”

3 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Comments on Season 3 from ASP and cast members during the MMM panel at Paleyfest.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/marvelous-mrs-maisel-creator-season-3-1203165019/

"No premiere date has yet been announced for viewers to find out, but the cast and creators of the show revealed they had their first table read for Season 3 on Thursday, and begin shooting in New York on March 20. Creator Amy Sherman-Palladino said she has 'only written one script so far.'”

• Love 1

BuzzFeed video where Rachel Brosnahan And Michael Zegen Play With Puppies While Answering Fan Questions.  One of the questions was if they could tell us anything about Season 3 and Rachel was trying to stick to info that was already out there but then she said that Sterling K. Brown had joined the cast for S3.  I'm not sure we knew that yet. I know I didn't!  Here's the video link:

• Love 2
On 6/17/2019 at 11:20 PM, ProudMary said:

she said that Sterling K. Brown had joined the cast for S3

Now, that's someone I could see portraying Nat "King" Cole. 

• Love 1
On 8/7/2019 at 10:06 PM, ProudMary said:

If you live in or will be in Los Angeles, Thursday August 15th is "Maisel Day" with prices rolled back to 1959 levels at a variety of businesses in the area. It's an Emmy Awards promotion.
https://maiselday.com/

Here's an article about the promotion from The Hollywood Reporter:
Amazon Teams With L.A. Businesses to Offer 1959-Era Prices for 'Maisel' Emmys Stunt

On 8/15/2019 at 4:25 PM, ProudMary said:

The queue for the 30 cents per gallon Chevron gasoline was so long they evidently had to stop the promotion after a couple of hours. There are still a lot of happy people on Twitter who enjoyed 1959 prices in L.A. on #MaiselDay.

"Los Angeles is treated to 1950s prices for 'Maisel Day'" https://twitter.com/i/events/1162047626478419968

I remember being a kid standing up in the back seat of the car in those days when we were "out for a drive" on a weekend and my dad would pull into the gas station and ask for "Two dollars worth."

ETA: I always wondered why "$2 worth"?

Now I think I know.

If it was 30 cents/gallon, $2 would be almost 6 gallons, whereas $3 would be about 9 gallons -- likely more than the tank could accept.

So $2 worth meant not dealing with change.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1