Type keyword(s) to search

Speculation for Season Two of Feud: NOT Charles and Diana

On 4/10/2017 at 5:10 PM, merylinkid said:

He is not the most empathetic person on the planet.   

He is when he's talking to his plants! 

Some people love their animals more than other people. I think Charles loves his garden and plants. They do not talk back. 

• Love 4

If I was able to choose who'd be in the second season I'd go for Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton. They could go into the Eddie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds history during this time as well. I think is easier to navigate with people whom are not still alive today-more stories always show up after their deaths due to deference and the fact that they can no longer dispute claims. I also liked another persons (Arymn's) suggestion of the Hedda Hopper-Louella Parsons angle. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
To give credit to Arymn
  • Love 8

Was there any juice or friction in Grace Kelly's marriage to Ranier? I seem to recall the kids are/were a mess. If Grace & PR didn't always get along, perhaps there's fodder for Murphy.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, rhys said:

Was there any juice or friction in Grace Kelly's marriage to Ranier? I seem to recall the kids are/were a mess. If Grace & PR didn't always get along, perhaps there's fodder for Murphy.

There was a lot of friction. Grace Kelly became very bored and wanted to go back to films, which was nixed by PR. He remained the typical layabout playboy husband. Their kids were a mess. Grace Kelly developed a drinking problem.

A possible feud to explore is Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. The two of them didn't really feud per se but they had a very frosty relationship off camera so it might be interesting to show how they were able to create such beautiful dances while barely on speaking terms.

• Love 6

I find this topic amusing.  I'll definitely watch.  In fact, I know quite a few people who are royal fans and huge fans of Diana, who would definitely want to see this. I hope Murphy does it justice.  I'm not interested in some kind of LIfetime movie approach.   I'm keeping in mind what the lady says in the beginning of the Bette/Joan feud.  Feuds are about PAIN, not revenge.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 5

Totally not show biz, but I'd happily watch a show about Edison vs. Tesla. Steampunk ahoy, and Tesla was one handsome fella. Also, I'd love to see the Saint Edison myth deconstructed.

Edited by Lorna Mae
  • Love 11
7 hours ago, Lorna Mae said:

Totally not show biz, but I'd happily watch a show about Edison vs. Tesla. Steampunk ahoy, and Tesla was one handsome fella. Also, I'd love to see the Saint Edison myth deconstructed.

That would be fantastic, but I think there is some awareness of the friction.  They are silly, but the Epic Rap Battle of history between the two, actually is not bad.(even shows how Edison might have tortured some of his pets)

• Love 3

I have faith in Ryan Murphy but I don't know what he can do with this.  This isn't exactly a story that hasn't been told a thousand time.  Even with OJ there was the race and sexism angle that could be compared with today and how little the world has actually changed.  However what can Ryan Murphy say about the royals.....unless it's not actually about them and it's about the press or the paparazzi and how the press is starting to shape the news not just report it..,and the ultimate consequences when they do.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 4
49 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

I have faith in Ryan Murphy but I don't know what he can do with this.

He could approach it from the gay contingent in both their households.  Probably won't. But could.

• Love 2

News as entertainment is very topical now so now that I do think of it it does make sense to go at Dianna and Charles from that angle.  Our obsession with reality tv and the paparazzi feeling like they have to get bigger and more elaborate photos to even make a living.  It's not just enough to report the facts anymore.

• Love 2

Not really looking forward to this one, as has been mentioned, it's been hashed and rehashed to death already.  I would love if they would stick with Old Hollywood for a while.  And I'm not particularly interested in them going into political feuds, unless it's something to do with the Founding Fathers or along those lines.

• Love 4

Taking one for the cause:

I have Hedda and Louella from the library. So far, I'm still awake and through a chapter about Louella and how she reported her early life, and how the author's fact checking showed her misrepresenting her age by 20 years and by forgetting her second husband.

The index in the back has very few references to Bette Davis and even fewer to Joan Crawford. 

• Love 5
On 4/18/2017 at 7:26 AM, Chaos Theory said:

I have faith in Ryan Murphy but I don't know what he can do with this.  This isn't exactly a story that hasn't been told a thousand time.  Even with OJ there was the race and sexism angle that could be compared with today and how little the world has actually changed. 

From reading the forums during ACS:OJ, there are lots of people who didn't know anything about the trial. Or even about OJ. Even though the Charles/Diana story has been told, I'm willing to accept that a lot of young people haven't heard it.

I remember when I was a kid, there was a film about the Lindbergh kidnapping. It was the Crime of the Century. Today, I doubt you could find a lot of young people who know anything at all about Charles Lindbergh.  

• Love 7

I was quite jolted during the film "The Queen" when Tony Blair, having listened to his staff and especially that annoying speech writer of his, put down QEII constantly.  They're watching her look at the flowers at Buckingham Palace and still at it when Blair jumps up and says 

"You know, when you get it wrong, you really get it wrong! That woman has given her whole life in service to her people. Fifty years doing a job SHE never wanted! A job she watched kill her father. She's executed it with honor, dignity, and, as far as I can tell, without a single blemish, and now we're all baying for her blood! All because she's struggling to lead the world in mourning for someone who... who threw everything she offered back in her face. And who, for the last few years, seemed committed 24/7 to destroying everything she holds most dear!"

That is one of my favorite moments.  That, and when she says to that beautiful buck...."RUN!"

• Love 7

Or let's be imaginative: Kathy Bates for Prince Andrew. 

Sarah Ferguson......Lindsay Lohan

Sarah Paulson........Princess Anne

Ru Paul for Prince Phillip....tall and very thin and not a spring chicken....not easy to come by. 

• Love 3
17 hours ago, iMonrey said:

So who is Kathy Bates going to play in this one? Queen Elizabeth?

She would be great for the Queen Mother, but maybe a little on the young side for someone in her late 70's/ early 80's when Charles and Diana were married... Maybe the Queen?

I am actually looking forward to this. I am a big history and British monarchy buff so this is right up my alley.

I was too young(10) when Diana died to really take notice of the whole thing between her and Charles, but remember seeing the tabloids in the grocery store and all the news coverage of the death. I am hoping this shows another angle then Saint Diana and Devil Charles and gives equal time to both sides as neither was totally in the right or wrong. They just seem like two people mismatched but thrown together and facing pressures from a lot of outside forces and differing interests. Not to mention the media which fueled the fire and worked to enhance any discontent. The press and it's paparazzi are in the end what killed Diana.

Has anyone else heard the rumors the royal family had Diana killed? I just can't even with conspiracies like that... Something tells me that even if the royal family wanted her dead they would not do anything in such a public manner on a public street in a busy city. Especially to someone constantly hounded by the press, and therefore witnesses.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

Has anyone else heard the rumors the royal family had Diana killed?

The rumors started 15 minutes after the accident.

18 hours ago, Carolina Girl said:

I was quite jolted during the film "The Queen"

Of all the portrayals of Charles on film, the one personified in Peter Morgan's The Queen is my favorite.  Child-like, paranoid, narcissistic and a tad nutty, played to perfection by Alex Jennings, I'd love to see Ryan Murphy play off this.

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

3 hours ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

Has anyone else heard the rumors the royal family had Diana killed?

The rumors started 15 minutes after the accident.

The rumors were really started by Diana in one of her interviews when she said that she thought that they were plotting her death.

Immediately after, Dodi's Daddy, who had just refurbished the Duke and Duchess of Windsor's home in Paris and the rumored destination of Dodi and Diana that night, had a series of hissy fits from his perch atop the ownership of Harrod's THE department store, in which he blamed the Royals. 

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

The rumors were really started by Diana in one of her interviews when she said that she thought that they were plotting her death.

Immediately after, Dodi's Daddy, who had just refurbished the Duke and Duchess of Windsor's home in Paris and the rumored destination of Dodi and Diana that night, had a series of hissy fits from his perch atop the ownership of Harrod's THE department store, in which he blamed the Royals. 

I stand corrected!

• Love 2

I am not sure the world has enough distance yet from this for it to be an accurate portrayal of Charles and Diana. There are many people out there who believe the St. Diana and will be royally(hee!) pissed to see anything that might shed a bad light on her. This could go very badly for him if he is not very careful. I am not sure I want to see another careful show on Charles and Di.  I will give it a shot, but I really don't have high hopes.

I just hope Ryan gets the jewels right. There is an entire website (2 actually) that shows what jewels the Royals wear everyday. It is a lot of fun.

• Love 5
On 4/28/2017 at 6:28 PM, Arynm said:

I am not sure the world has enough distance yet from this for it to be an accurate portrayal of Charles and Diana. There are many people out there who believe the St. Diana and will be royally(hee!) pissed to see anything that might shed a bad light on her.

I agree.  It is still too soon.  I think it is impossible to cast Diana, She was beautiful, had a ton of charisma, and worked the press like no one else.  And it will be hard to highlight her flaws given how tragic her death was.

And Charles...You really don't have great material to work with there. As Eddie Izzard has stated - "Cousins should not be marrying cousins." Diana pretty much saved that gene pool.

• Love 3

Oh I love to look at all the pretty things. Over on another thread a poster gave me a link to the jewels worn and owned by Joan Crawford. One 75 carat amethyst ring was a jaw dropper. Thank you for doing this for me! 

This is the 20th anniversary of the Princess of Wales's death, isn't it? Maybe that's why "Feud" chose Charles and Diana.

There's an ABC special to air on May 7 about the last 100 days of Diana's life, so nothing like whoring out her death once again.

I'm in agreement with a lot of folks here -- I think Diana has been deified without merit. I don't think Charles and the Royal Family are entirely the villains Diana supporters have made them out to be.

When people talk about how great William and Harry turned out -- well, that's their father's work. Diana may have set the path, but it was Charles who moved them through it. They were children when she died.

I never thought of her as beautiful, either. There are some photos (and maybe it's the angle) where her face is very hawkish and her nose is huge. 

• Love 4

@SmithW6079 I politely disagree. I think that it's because of the nurturing and love that Diana gave her boys when they were little that made them into the compassionate men they are today. Most royals were raised by nannys and rarely given an audience by their parents for hours on end. I can still see the photographs of William and Harry on a roller coaster with her in my mind. She changed the way that heirs were raised and defied certain traditions. In a lot of ways that's why William and Kate have also changed up things and become more hands on parents with their children George and Charlotte. I'll give you that Charles made sure that they had a proper upbringing but warmth would not have been his strong point. He was aloof as a parent. He would have taught them skills, protocol and duty. Also good on him for not standing in the ways of his son's continuing to honor their mother's memory and still working on her favorite charities. I am by no means trying to disparage Prince Charles but I am sure that Diana had a bigger impact on those boys than you might have supposed. 

• Love 11
On Sunday, April 16, 2017 at 8:35 AM, Mindthinkr said:

If I was able to choose who'd be in the second season I'd go for Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton. They could go into the Eddie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds history during this time as well. I think is easier to navigate with people whom are not still alive today-more stories always show up after their deaths due to deference and the fact that they can no longer dispute claims. I also liked another persons (Arymn's) suggestion of the Hedda Hopper-Louella Parsons angle. 

If weren't that it's a currently airing show and that multiple parties appear to have been messy assholes, I would love a behind the scenes exploration of Grey's Anatomy. That was a cast filled to the brim with assholes. Charmed would be another good one. Other possibilities:

• Nixon undermining Johnson's Vietnam peace talks
  • RFK and LBJ's hatred of each other
  • Nancy Kerrigan and Tanya Harding
  • Ali and Joe Frazier
  • Marvel and DC (mid 60s through the 80s)
  • the Adidas and Puma brothers
  • The Gallagher brothers from Oasis 
  • Dear Abby and Ann Landers
  • Vince McMahon and all of the regional wrestling circuits
  • Steve Jobs and Bill Gates 
  • Naomi Campbell and Tyra Banks
  • That feud between Brooke Astor's son and grandson over her care 
  • Leno and Letterman. Late Shift is a great book and movie, but it's 20 years old.

I just feel like Charles and Diana is so fraught with the potential to blow up and go wrong.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, HunterHunted said:
  •  

Oooh. Bet that would be a good one. Some good old fashioned sibling rivalry. You came up with some great ideas. 

• Love 5

Richard Nixon vs. John Lennon would be a good one.  

I would say John and Paul, but I think they've been covered quite a bit in TV movies and on the big screen.

Bert vs Ernie! 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Oooh. Bet that would be a good one. Some good old fashioned sibling rivalry. You came up with some great ideas. 

A whole series on sibling rivalries would be awesome starting with Olivia and Joan.  Ann and Abby would be awesome.  

• Love 6
(edited)

I'm up for anything that is fair and accurate regarding the royal couple. I realize that they may use some poetic license.  I liked Diana, but, was never a huge fan.  I appreciate the story and her place in history though.   I'm not sure of all that happened, but, I do feel for her dealing with her husband and the fact that his heart was elsewhere. That has to be painful.  

Do you know what time span they will cover?  I really never did understand her being with Dodi though.  That totally escapes me and I just can barely fathom them together.  I'd like some perspective on that.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I realize that they may use some poetic license.

Perhaps the understatement of the century.  Well said. 

How do they choose to cover Charles as the (sometimes called) bachelor of the century and what he was up to?  How do they cover the older ladies plotting his choice of a bride?  How catty can they be about all the 'almost bride material' women who are still alive?  

How do they cover Diana and Dodi?  Diana's abortion after the separation (unsure of timing)? her great affection for the Pakistani doctor and the (reported) disasterous visit to his family?  

The infighting within the palace as two households were each supporting their employer?  

So many people are still alive.  So many, many feeling will be hurt. 

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

How do they choose to cover Charles as the (sometimes called) bachelor of the century and what he was up to?  How do they cover the older ladies plotting his choice of a bride?  How catty can they be about all the 'almost bride material' women who are still alive?  

How do they cover Diana and Dodi?  Diana's abortion after the separation (unsure of timing)? her great affection for the Pakistani doctor and the (reported) disasterous visit to his family?  

The infighting within the palace as two households were each supporting their employer?  

OMG.  I had no idea.  Perhaps, I am in for a big shock. 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

If weren't that it's a currently airing show and that multiple parties appear to have been messy assholes, I would love a behind the scenes exploration of Grey's Anatomy. That was a cast filled to the brim with assholes. Charmed would be another good one. Other possibilities:

• Ali and Joe Frazier
  • Leno and Letterman. Late Shift is a great book and movie, but it's 20 years old.

I just feel like Charles and Diana is so fraught with the potential to blow up and go wrong.

I too would enjoy seeing Nancy/Tonya. It was definitely a big event in my childhood since I grew up in a figure skating household. The only other skating feud that I'd like to see depicted is Debi Thomas vs. Katarina Witt but I admit that there isn't enough personal interaction between the two of them to make it worth while. 

I also second LBJ vs. RFK. This is my second choice and I hope it happens. 

I really like the idea of Naomi vs. Tyra but feel like there hasn't been enough interaction between the two of them to warrant a series. I do like the idea of it though. Just not sure that it's 8-10 episodes worth of material. I feel the same way about Michael Jackson vs. Prince. 

I'd like to see the MGM feud between Irving Thalberg and Louis B. Meyer. 

The sibling rivalry Olivia de Havilland and Joan Fontaine would be great. 

Biggie vs. Tupac. 

Charles Fox vs. William Pitt. 

Zelda and F. Scott Fitzgerald. 

1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Do you know what time span they will cover?  I really never did understand her being with Dodi though.  That totally escapes me and I just can barely fathom them together.  I'd like some perspective on that.  

My understanding is that she felt that Dodi could offer her protection in terms of security and money. Dodi was also willing to deal with the press element that came with being in a relationship with her and I don't think there were or are that many men who would be willing to put up with that sort of scrutiny. 

21 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

I just can't imagine William, Harry, Charles, or really anyone who interacts with the royal family, even those on the fringe--I just can't see them ever watching a show like this. Like, I don't even think that they would see the TV spots. 

As far as the feelings of women who are in the category of 'almost bride material' women like Anna Wallace, Jane Wellesley, Sabrina Guinness, etc. I feel like they've already dealt with the worst of the media scrutiny long ago. 

• Love 3
(edited)
20 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

• Ali and Joe Frazier

These are great. More:

Benjamin Disraeli v. William Gladstone

Neville Chamberlain v. Winston Churchill 

Mainly to troll our current president, Donald Trump (played by Alec Baldwin) v. Rosie O'Donnell (played by herself)

Edited by Melancholy
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Avaleigh said:

I too would enjoy seeing Nancy/Tonya. It was definitely a big event in my childhood since I grew up in a figure skating household. The only other skating feud that I'd like to see depicted is Debi Thomas vs. Katarina Witt but I admit that there isn't enough personal interaction between the two of them to make it worth while. 

I also second LBJ vs. RFK. This is my second choice and I hope it happens. 

I really like the idea of Naomi vs. Tyra but feel like there hasn't been enough interaction between the two of them to warrant a series. I do like the idea of it though. Just not sure that it's 8-10 episodes worth of material. I feel the same way about Michael Jackson vs. Prince. 

I'd like to see the MGM feud between Irving Thalberg and Louis B. Meyer. 

The sibling rivalry Olivia de Havilland and Joan Fontaine would be great. 

Biggie vs. Tupac. 

Charles Fox vs. William Pitt. 

My understanding is that she felt that Dodi could offer her protection in terms of security and money. Dodi was also willing to deal with the press element that came with being in a relationship with her and I don't think there were or are that many men who would be willing to put up with that sort of scrutiny. 

I just can't imagine William, Harry, Charles, or really anyone who interacts with the royal family, even those on the fringe--I just can't see them ever watching a show like this. Like, I don't even think that they would see the TV spots. 

As far as the feelings of women who are in the category of 'almost bride material' women like Anna Wallace, Jane Wellesley, Sabrina Guinness, etc. I feel like they've already dealt with the worst of the media scrutiny long ago. 

The thing I liked about Feud and The People vs OJ was how the show used its central conflict to ruminate of gender, class, power, and race. And so I judge Charles and Diana because I don't know how well it can explore things like that. We know that many of those issues were a concern in their relationship, but I don't know how sharp the line between the two sides really was.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Avaleigh said:

There's a Netflix series on Zelda. Z: The Beginning of Everything 

For that reason some might view the subject material as done. 

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

The thing I liked about Feud and The People vs OJ was how the show used its central conflict to ruminate of gender, class, power, and race. And so I judge Charles and Diana because I don't know how well it can explore things like that. We know that many of those issues were a concern in their relationship, but I don't know how sharp the line between the two sides really was.

They could do a lot of commentary on the press and tabloid culture... Didn't both sides, Diana maybe more so, use the press and media in their agendas? I mean didn't they put out competing books? Even with her death, it was the fault of the paparazzi chasing her.

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

They could do a lot of commentary on the press and tabloid culture... Didn't both sides, Diana maybe more so, use the press and media in their agendas? I mean didn't they put out competing books? Even with her death, it was the fault of the paparazzi chasing her.

They could, but I feel like Murphy already did a good job exploring that on People vs OJ.

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

They could, but I feel like Murphy already did a good job exploring that on People vs OJ.

I guess I should give that a watch as I missed it. This was my first encounter with Ryan (that I know of...will have to check IMDB). 

We aren't going to get away from the Charles and Diana feud anytime in the near future.  Do a search for the current BBC production of Charles III. "Camilla slaps Charles" "Diana's ghost appears" and "Princess Catherine works to put her son on the throne instead of his grandfather" are some of the lines I've read about it.

All these ideas already taken.  Although I think ghosts trump halucinations.

• Love 1