Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Chapter Ten: The Lost Weekend

• Start Topic

Cheryl, the plural of nemesis is nemeses. You seem like a woman who would know that.

"That was haunting, Betty." Dude's not wrong. That sounded like it came from a horror movie promo. Cole Sprouse did some good work this episode. God, his friends should know him better. He did a good job of letting that anger build in the truth or dare game. He took off the hat!

Archie, stop making terrible choices. Don't let evil in just because it brought kegs.

• Love 13

That was SO good!

FP & Alice were en fuego together! I need them to have a hot & dirty hookup ASAP.

I'm shipping the hell out of Chuck and Cheryl too! Team C&C: The Masters Of Disaster!

Jughead describing his birthday party as "being in a Seth Rogen film" was hilarious.

Loved Valerie shutting Archie all the way down. She deserves way better.

Dilton is totally the Jonathan Levinson of Riverdale.

Still no Josie or Reggie? Whatever show.

Hi Molly Ringwald!

Edited by Dee
  • Love 8
12 minutes ago, bettername2come said:

Archie, stop making terrible choices. 

Hey, at the end of the episode he made out with Veronica.  That was a good choice.

I'd call this the show's best episode to date.  The whole party sequence was crackling (though Veronica openly accusing Cheryl of incest set the bar so high that none of the other speakers came close to clearing it).

And we got more signs of Dark Betty, always welcome.  Dark Betty rules.

This was one of Archie's better showings as a character, I thought.  He's still not a genius by any means, but he's firmly planted in the main plot now, and on matters he should be involved in (e.g., Jughead's backstory) he was appropriately featured.

If there's one niggle I have about the show, it's that I find the who-knows-what-about-who dynamics among the kids a bit hard to figure out.  Archie and Betty have always been friends, and seemingly Archie and Jughead have been really close for a long time (though I don't think we've been given a timestamp for how long they've known each other), and Jughead's comments this episode seem to infer that he therefore knew and considered Betty a friend too in that period.  But nobody seems to know much of anything about Jughead's dad (I can buy that Betty's parents wouldn't have wanted her hanging around him, of course, and that Jughead would have wanted to minimize contact between his friends and his messed up dad), and in this episode Jughead says that Kevin is somebody he wouldn't have hung out with until recently, but Kevin doesn't seem to be an only-recent acquaintance of Betty or Archie, so you'd think they'd have been in the same circle.

Also, please put the pearls back on Veronica.  I know they're blood money or whatever, but you look so good wearing them.

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 8

I actually didn't like Jughead tonight which is a change since I've been rather indifferent to him up to now.  But his whole shpeil in the shed just made me roll my eyes and I'm not sure why.  There are some people who would NOT like a surprise party, entirely believable, but when he started going on about how different he is and this and that.....I don't know.  But again, no big deal, I'm never really interested in him anyway.

SO glad my girl Veronica has a set of pearls again, I don't care WHO their from.  Enjoyed her mini-feud with Cheryl this episode.  Those two girls are the epitome of being two spiders in a jar.   And very happy Veronica managed to turn the party game around on Cheryl as I thought Ronnie was about to be Ko'ed.   Not NEARLY enough Kevin and Veronica for my liking.   Though I do like that they continue to show the shades of self-obsessed Veronica.  She couldn't have given a 99 cent moisturizer about Jughead or his party (and that didn't bother me since Jughead said Kevin and Veronica are two people he would have shunned if not for Betty), she was swept up in her own problems.  I like it when Veronica's not nice.  I can't help it.   And Kevin's "I can't breathe during the Cheryl/Veronica dust up was hysterical.

I actually really liked Archie/Veronica this episode.  Veronica really likes him, I actually went "awww" when she woke up and realized that Archie slept on the floor while she got the bed.   I also really like that even though Veronica clearly chafes people around him, Archie still really likes her.  They had some genuine moments together and I liked that.

I'm shipping the hell out of Chuck and Cheryl too! Team C&C: The Masters Of Disaster!

OMG Yes.  YES. YES. YES. Evil is ALWAYS so gorgeous, my god.  The guy that plays Chuck..............(fans self).  And Cheryl is exquisite.  

I think this was my favorite episode so far.

• Love 5

I can tell already that Molly Ringwald was as good a choice as the guy that plays Archie.  The two of them will undoubtedly be the weakest links on the show. 

Going over to the other thread with my thoughts on Chuck. 

If they are not going to stick to the comics at least make Jughead less of a whiner.  

Best actress is the girl that plays Betty. 

Lord, so Archie is going to sleep with everyone on the show? 

I agree, I think Alice needs a boyfriend.

Why does Valerie need a nose ring? Because she is a musician? 

Cheryl is just too much....but the lipstick is always great!  Is this Covergirl? 

• Love 1

Alice was a Serpent?!?!!! I better be getting that flashback episode now show!

I liked this episode a lot more than the previous couple. The party was fun and I kind of love the show for calling out the creepy Cheryl/Jason relationship in the way they did. 

Dark Betty continues to be one of the highlights for me. I find whatever's happening with her one of the more interesting parts of the show. 

I see Archie is over Valerie already. I actually don't mind because I do think Archie and Ronnie have pretty decent chemistry, besides I'm sure he'll be onto someone new next week anyway.

I still love and ship Betty and Jughead so hard. But I know inevitably the show is going to break my heart but I adore them together.

Im so glad they sorted things out at the end. I know it's coming but I'm not ready for them to break up. They were so sweet and adorable  at the diner.

Edited by dippydee
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

I can tell already that Molly Ringwald was as good a choice as the guy that plays Archie.  The two of them will undoubtedly be the weakest links on the show. 

That's probably where he gets it from.

• Love 2

That was fun. As someone who isn't a birthday person I totally understand the desire for no party.

The whole dance/cheer off not sure what else to say except thank you Riverdale.

Don't mind Veronica and Archie kissing this ep. They have been kind of dancing around this since the first ep. Also did like it seemed like the show was making it clear that kissing was as far as they went.

Glad the show didn't just have Cheryl's creepy incest vibe feelings towards Jason go unacknowledged. Happy that it was finally said out loud and glad it was Veronica.

Yes we need the parents flashback episode. I mean Alice as a SSS that is genius. Also loved that her paranoid mind jumped right to the correct assumption about Joaquin. Need more scenes with her and FP.

Have a bad feeling that everything is pointing towards FP being next person arrested for the murder and even more unfortunately it looks like Betty along with Veronica may the people who dig up the evidence that gets him arrested which really won't help Jughead get over his doom and gloom attitude.

• Love 3
Just now, ybrik said:

Also did like it seemed like the show was making it clear that kissing was as far as they went.

Actually, on that point, it's interesting that for a show that opened with Archie banging his teacher and features things like a running gag about incest, the teen/teen relationships have been fairly chaste, on the whole.  Plenty of shows would have had Archie and Veronica have sex if they'd started making out in similar circumstances.

• Love 4

I can soooo see Alice as a Serpent.

Our two favorite agents of chaos are so awesome together.    The Little truth game snowballed quickly.

Saw more glimmers of Dark Betty which was great.  

In the minority but don't really care for or about Jughead and his pain.  But at least he is more interesting the Archie.  Well usually.  This episode he was just annoying.

Edited by Chaos Theory
13 minutes ago, ybrik said:

Glad the show didn't just have Cheryl's creepy incest vibe feelings towards Jason go unacknowledged. Happy that it was finally said out loud and glad it was Veronica.

I also like that no one looked shocked at Veronica's twincest theory. More like, "we know, Ronnie, we stared at it every day…"

• Love 10

I also wonder if Jughead's speech about not being wired like other people is kind of a first hint that the show may eventually go the asexual route with him. I doubt that it will also be aro but can see this as a first hint about him being ace. This way they can still tell an asexual Jughead storyline but allow him to have romantic relationships on the show (or maybe they just keep it to him having these feelings just for Betty)

The show has been kind of conservative in regards to the teens having sex with each other outside of the whole Archie/Grundy thing. It doesn't bother me much with Archie/Veronica this episode as a quick hook up probably would not be good for the bigger A/V/B triangle. However, in previous episodes I did agree with others who thought the show missed out with Veronica and Chuck not sleeping together as it would have been a possibly even more powerful message in regards to slut shaming.

• Love 3

Alice being a former serpent and having history with FP? Bring it, please.

Hey Jughead, Archie has actually been quite supportive of Bughead and keeping his distance from playing the 'she liked me first' card so not cool throwing that in your rant at Betty. He's acted like a derp about many things but so far this isn't one of them.

So let me get this straight, Valerie- you're done with Archie and his hot mess but you show up at his house for a party? He ain't the only one who is messy. Get over yourself.

Archie asleep on the floor, bare chest on display for Ronnie to see first thing in the morning? Damn, son. That was one hell of a thing to wake up to.

• Love 9

Jughead annoyed the hell out of me tonight. I don't particular care for him most episodes but tonight he was just too much. I get it, kid's got problems, wants to be the rebel loner, doesn't think he is normal.... but dude your friends are kind of effed up and flawed too, so get over yourself.  I thought he was a real dick to Betty too, she had good intentions, they went bad but she was doing everything for him, so relax. 

Cheryl entertaining as ever. 

Kinda dug Archie and Veronica. I really liked Veronica tonight and for once was interested in her family drama. Poor dumb Archie got one hit after the other, kinda felt bad for the guy. 

• Love 2

Surprizingly I'm not shocked that Alice was A Serpent. I'm now wondering if her and FP had a fling that could've resulted in a baby and it being aborted. Bughead of course was adorable though it was rough seeing Jughead being pissy at Betty when she was being an awesome girlfriend. I'm glad he acknowledged  an insecurity of Betty dropping him if Archie decided he wanted her. That gave me some hope that If Archie did so that she would tell him to buzz off. Dark Betty remains interesting and I'm glad she told Jughead about her Darkness. I do wonder if they would go there with something happening to young Betty that gave her the dark side. Why does Archie get the makeout scene I want a Betty/Jughead one and I'm still not sure if I feel Veronica is still too good for Archie 

• Love 2

It can't quite be said enough: Archie's a terrible friend AND a dumbass.

Camila Mendes got moves. Ronnie's father is a supervillain of Machiavellian proportions. Those trademark pearls of hers might as well be a noose around her neck.

Mental illness seems to run in the Cooper family. Alice, Polly, and Betty all seem to have some variation going on, and I think that's where Alice's preoccupation with appearances come from. When you suffer from a mix of anxiety, mania, and depression, you can spend a lot of time pretending and covering up to overcompensate. It seems like a great coping mechanism until the day or moment you finally run out of spoons and crack. I feel like Betty's on the verge and I wonder if she's still taking her meds or faking it to appease Alice.

Jughead and his run-down of why he hates birthdays made me sad. His childhood obviously ended AGES ago via his parents and that's f'ed. His "I'm weird" speech was just him flailing in his emotions after he was pushed to the point of discomfort. What he shared earlier with Archie was legit: that he has a lot of traumatic surrounding his birthday due to his home-life but he struggles to divulge his history with Betty because he thinks it makes him "damaged goods" and unworthy of her. 

I was ready to mourn the end of Bughead, but I'll be damned, FP came through for ONCE, and both Betty and Jughead realized the importance of sharing themselves with one another and not losing out on a good thing just because of their insecurities and fears. I adore them.

I feel like show's OTPs are Betty/Jughead and Veronica/Archie, and they should keep it that way.

I love the stuffing out of this show but they have a serious problem with diversity. Nearly all the people of color and/or LGBTQ folks (which for the latter, consists of Kevin and Joaquin) are either minimized without a story of their own, or painted as one-note antagonists. They casted Reggie as Asian (which was cool) but he either plays a bit role or only shows up to play Bad to Archie's Good. They refuse to show the other women of color, to the point that the lead character was DATING one of them and the audience was left unaware until it was over. Camila and Marisol are white-passing, they could do MUCH better on this. Chuck is the only black guy outside of Pops to even be SEEN in Riverdale so of course he's Brock Turner-lite. The only other Asian guy on canvas is referred to as a "psychopath that likes to play with guns". Joaquin looks Native OR Hispanic but he's in a gang and screwing the sheriff's son for information. And Kevin's the only gay kid at Riverdale High so god forbid he be shown in a happy, healthy relationship.

It's not inherently bad that so many of the people of color on canvas are either recurring and/or antagonists but the fact that they are not shaded out and given further nuance like Cheryl is, is a gross oversight.

Oh, and when I saw Jughead hitting someone in the previews, I knew it was over Betty, lmao. I'll go down with that ship but I honestly, I think they're endgame.

Alice is from the southside of Riverdale and her and FP have history? Color me intrigued. Also, who asked for the younger actors to portray their parents back in high school for a future episode because I'm SO onboard.

Archie and his mother are roundabout related to the Blossoms and no one can convince me otherwise, lol. Veronica went THERE inquiring just how much Cheryl loved Jason. I mean, come on, Cheryl, you already live in a V.C. Andrews novel, would that be such a surprise?

This was the best episode yet, I feel like "Riverdale" has firmly stretched out most of the kinks, and has figured out where their characters stand and what relationships to center around. While I'm relieved that it's been revealed we'll know Jason's killer by the end of this season, I'm very impressed but how twisty this mystery has become. I still have no idea who killed Jason and I'm enjoying it versus being frustrated. There's a thousand and one motives and theories and they all have equal merit. It's delightful. 

Lilli can SING, but it WAS haunting af, lol.

Edited by RealFantasies
  • Love 18
6 minutes ago, RealFantasies said:

Camila Mendes got moves. Ronnie's father is a supervillain of Machiavellian proportions. Those trademark pearls of hers might as well be a noose around her neck.

Mental illness seems to run in the Cooper family. Alice, Polly, and Betty all seem to have some variation going on, and I think that's where Alice's preoccupation with appearances come from. When you suffer from a mix of anxiety, mania, and depression, you can spend a lot of time pretending and covering up to overcompensate. It seems like a great coping mechanism until the day or moment you finally run out of spoons and crack. I feel like Betty's on the verge and I wonder if she's still taking her meds or faking it to appease Alice.

Jughead and his run-down of why he hates birthdays made me sad. His childhood obviously ended AGES ago via his parents and that's f'ed. His "I'm weird" speech was just him flailing in his emotions after he was pushed to the point of discomfort. What he shared earlier with Archie was legit: that he has a lot of traumatic surrounding his birthday due to his home-life but he struggles to divulge his history with Betty because he thinks it makes him "damaged goods" and unworthy of her. 

I was ready to mourn the end of Bughead, but I'll be damned, FP came through for ONCE, and both Betty and Jughead realized the importance of sharing themselves with one another and not losing out on a good thing just because of their insecurities and fears. I adore them.

I feel like show's OTPs are Betty/Jughead and Veronica/Archie, and they should keep it that way.

I love the stuffing out of this show but they have a serious problem with diversity. Nearly all the people of color and/or LGBTQ folks (which for the latter, consists of Kevin and Joaquin) are either minimized without a story of their own, or painted as one-note antagonists. They casted Reggie as Asian (which was cool) but he either plays a bit role or only shows up to play Bad to Archie's Good. They refuse to show the other women of color, to the point that the lead character was DATING one of them and the audience was left unaware until it was over. Camila and Marisol are white-passing, they could do MUCH better on this. Chuck is the only black guy outside of Pops to even be SEEN in Riverdale so of course he's Brock Turner-lite. The only other Asian guy on canvas is referred to as a "psychopath that likes to play with guns". Joaquin looks Native OR Hispanic but he's in a gang and screwing the sheriff's son for information. And Kevin's the only gay kid at Riverdale High so god forbid he be shown in a happy, healthy relationship.

It's not inherently bad that so many of the people of color on canvas are either recurring and/or antagonists but the fact that they are not shaded out and given further nuance like Cheryl is, is a gross oversight.

Oh, and when I saw Jughead hitting someone in the previews, I knew it was over Betty, lmao. I'll go down with that ship but I honestly, I think they're endgame.

Alice is from the southside of Riverdale and her and FP have history? Color me intrigued. Also, who asked for the younger actors to portray their parents back in high school for a future episode because I'm SO onboard.

Archie and his mother are roundabout related to the Blossoms and no one can convince me otherwise, lol. Veronica went THERE inquiring just how much Cheryl loved Jason. I mean, come on, Cheryl, you already live in a V.C. Andrews novel, would that be such a surprise?

This was the best episode yet, I feel like "Riverdale" has firmly stretched out most of the kinks, and has figured out where their characters stand and what relationships to center around. While I'm relieved that it's been revealed we'll know Jason's killer by the end of this season, I'm very impressed but how twisty this mystery has become. I still have no idea who killed Jason and I'm enjoying it versus being frustrated. There's a thousand and one motives and theories and they all have equal merit. It's delightful. 

Lilli can SING, but it WAS haunting af, lol.

I was the one who suggested that KJ, Cole, Lili and Camilla play Fred, FP, Hermione and Alice when they were in High school and I would be so down for that Episode. Agreed that Bughead and Varchie should be OTP. 

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, ybrik said:

The show has been kind of conservative in regards to the teens having sex with each other outside of the whole Archie/Grundy thing. It doesn't bother me much with Archie/Veronica this episode as a quick hook up probably would not be good for the bigger A/V/B triangle.

I was thinking the exact same thing while watching, we got Archie hot and heavy with teacher and then it's been all hand holding and chaste kisses since then. I hope the little hook up stays secret OR Betty does find out and is like, I'm with Juggie WHY would I care about who you two kiss? That being said, I'm gonna need Betty and Jughead to move beyond the PG stuff soon. They've been put through the emotional ringers that usually lead to steamier stuff on these kinds of shows. 

I typically love Jughead but his little speech to Betty about how different he is was a little eye roll worthy since he has been privy to her families messed up dynamic and knows she isn't perfect. Her heart was in the right place with the birthday celebration and you would think since Jughead seems happy with her he would have taken it more in stride. I did like the flash of insecurity about Archie with her, that is a very real fear to harbor and I don't blame him for that. I kind of thought the whole night brought them closer together in the end in that booth and hashing it out was more adult than we've seen the actual grown ups.

Chuck is a very good villain (the actor is so good looking and does menacing well). Loved Betty going in on him for his Norte Dame Pity Party, poor baby. She has a steel spine. I have a feeling he's going to end up doing something very bad or something bad will happen to him by the end of the season, he is not going to let this go.

Alice Cooper is from the wrong side of the tracks and knows FP from back in the day...I love it. I was confused about her bringing Advil and water to Betty the next morning as I don't remember Betty even drinking or seeming drunk. 

Veronica pointing out that Cheryl has a gross obsession with her dead brother is the highlight of the series for me so far.

• Love 5

One thing that occurred to me:  if Jughead didn't know Veronica was sleeping over, why didn't he go up to the bedroom, which is where he sleeps (Archie was using his mattress, having, like a gentleman, ceded Veronica the bed)?

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Advance35 said:

I actually didn't like Jughead tonight which is a change since I've been rather indifferent to him up to now.  But his whole shpeil in the shed just made me roll my eyes and I'm not sure why.  There are some people who would NOT like a surprise party, entirely believable, but when he started going on about how different he is and this and that.....I don't know.  But again, no big deal, I'm never really interested in him anyway.

While I had a few eye-rolls at Jughead's whole "I'm not normal" spiel, I actually felt for him with a lot of what he said and I absolutely agreed with his assessment of Betty throwing the party. I do think it was ridiculous and showed either a lack of knowing who Jughead really is or simply not respecting who he is that Betty would not realize how much Jughead would not be thrilled by a surprise party. And then worse, her insistence on inviting his father who he has a very complicated relationship with.

I agreed with Jughead that it was like she was trying to prove she is the perfect girlfriend because it's clear a big part of Betty's issues is this overwhelming need to be perfect fostered of course by her nutty ass parents. And that overwhelming need to be perfect has almost inadvertently caused this dark and twisted part of her to develop, almost as a rebellion against the "perfect" Betty. So it didn't matter what Jughead would actually want. No, she was going to give him what in her mind is what a perfect girlfriend does for her boyfriend on his birthday. 

Also unpopular, I kind of liked that he brought up the Archie elephant in their relationship because honestly, there is no way I would buy that a part of Jughead wouldn't be insecure about the possibility of Betty still being into Archie considering how long she liked him and the only reason nothing happened is because Archie wasn't interested. Especially with the fact that these characters are all kids. It clearly hurt Betty and I felt for her but I thought it was a pretty real moment for them. 

Less unpopular, I really do think Archie's best chemistry is with Veronica and I know the show runners will ignore me and others in wanting them to avoid the Betty/Archie/Veronica triangle but until it happens, I will continue to wish that they do and just go with Veronica and Archie. Interestingly, I remember when reading the comics when I was younger that even then I thought Archie was most into Veronica and only went after Betty when Veronica was unavailable. It is funny how much Archie's jumping from girl to girl annoys some because if you think about it, it is sort of true to the comics. Archie was kind of idiot in the comics as well. At least the ones I read that weren't dark and emo Riverdale and more cutesy, 1950's Riverdale. 

My final unpopular opinion is that I actually hope to never see Chuck again. I found the character grating and the best moment of the episode for me was Jughead punching his stupid smirky face. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 19

When he was sitting there when Veronica came down he had a look like he had went up and seen that She was in Archies bed.

Also I'm a need Betty and Jughead to move beyond the PG stuff as well. They have a school dance episode coming up maybe then?

I really do not want a Archie/Betty/Veronica triangle on this show.  The way the characters are written they would destroy a awesome Beronica friendship AND them fighting over Archie would be  ridiculous.

Just have Varchie and Bughead as the ships pretty please.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, jay741982 said:

I really do not want a Archie/Betty/Veronica triangle on this show.  The way the characters are written they would destroy a awesome Beronica friendship AND them fighting over Archie would be  ridiculous.

Yeah. I hate triangles. I've never seen them actually make a show/movie/book better in ANY way. Relantionships have enough complications without adding a third person into the mix. These teenagers all have outside issues that can cause problems, the issues don't need to stem from another person. 

And yes I get that the source material for this show was the comics which have the Betty Archie Veronica triangle but I feel this show has diverted from its source material since the pilot.

• Love 3

I loved Betty slapping Chuck, only for the fact that she was SO clearly her mother at that moment! They should bond over moments like that. Archie and Veronica make sense. They had that scene in the closet in the first ep, but she's seen him as off-limits since, but now he's available and there. Why not? The return of the pearls was awesome. The show gets a bunch of things wrong, but costuming is not, IMO, one of those things, and it's amusing how iconic those pearls became in such a short time.

• Love 2

I honestly think they decided the triangle would take away more from the characters than it was worth (and that is VERY appreciated). Keep Betty and Veronica BFFs and away from each other's romantic prospects. The pilot episode was enough homage to the classic triangle from the comics, and it ended in Betty saying of Veronica, "I just think we were meant to be friends".

3 hours ago, wingster55 said:

I really don't get why Valerie is so upset at Archie. Upset sure...but enough to throw a drink at him? Not like he cheated..just was ambitious/wanted to help his father out. 

I don't think Valerie threw the drink at him intentionally, she was just trying to leave and yank her arm away from him after he grabbed it. He was being an asshole so I didn't care, lol. They dated for less than five minutes, let her leave, ffs.  It was interesting to hear his mommy issues addressed because he has them in SPADES. The only time Archie is truly likable is in his friendly interactions with Betty and Jughead, and his quiet moments with Veronica really shine. Capitalize on that chemistry, Show. It would help if they show Archie doing more genuinely nice things for his friends, because he comes off incredibly self-absorbed even as one of a near entire cast of teenage characters. I believe Betty, Jughead, and Veronica care about him; they have his back, keep his secrets, cheer on his creative endeavors, but he hardly ever returns the favor, and that's gotta change if you wanna portray believable friendships with a history of give and take, and mutual adoration.

3 hours ago, NorthstarATL said:

I loved Betty slapping Chuck, only for the fact that she was SO clearly her mother at that moment! They should bond over moments like that. 

I didn't realize that but you're so right, she was Alice personified in that moment!

Edited by RealFantasies
  • Love 6

Good episode! Honestly, I think the best thing this show could do is laser focus in on the kids, kinda like the old-school 90210. That's definitely when it's at its best. Although of the parents, my faves are FP and Alice, and I want them to hook up. I think what they ought to do is single out the interesting parents from the dull ones and allocate screen time for them based on that (for example, I find Fred extremely boring even though it's Luke Perry, and the Blossoms are kinda meh as well. But Madchen Amick and Skeet Ulrich bring the charisma, so I'm cool with watching them).

I find it interesting that Archie and Veronica appear to have chemistry! I'm into them now. I never thought I would be, from knowing the comics so well and that's the most obvious pairing, but on the show they actually got them to fit. That's surprising.

I love Jughead. And I want him and Betty to be happy together, but I agree with the person who said we're gonna need to see them move past the PG-phase pretty soon here. I assume neither of them have done it yet, so I wonder if they're going to confront that, whereas there would be no need to with Archie and Veronica.

I do like that they have two main pairings that seem to go well together, with Betty/Jughead and now Archie/Veronica. They got pretty lucky there, because in some ways that actually does match the comics (yes, I know Jughead wasn't romantically paired up in the comics, but he and Betty still had a special friendship and a fanbase that had wanted them together for decades because of that, so I like that they went ahead with it on the show).

But they're sort of screwing up the history of Betty/Jughead/Archie, because if all three of them grew up together as friends then Betty should have known his birthday and who his dad was, imo.

• Love 5

Going to enjoy Bughead while it lasts.

I am continually impressed how good Cole Sprouse is on this show.

Veronica wearing glasses AND speaking Spanish? I want more of that.

I like they're referencing Ethel's crush on Jughead from the comics.

Even though it's kind of dicey having the only male black character be a villain I enjoy how evil Chuck was in this episode as much as Cheryl.

Alice is from the South Side! I love this development.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2

I wonder if Dark Betty is going to take over and start messing around with Chuck.  They seem to want to take Betty down the MPD path.

I also wonder if Alice kept her leather Snakette jacket in a secret place for nostalgia.

We need Judd Nelson to show up as Molly Ringwald's boyfriend, with them each sporting one diamond earring.

Edited by Dobian
typo
  • Love 7

It's weird when you remember that Luke Perry and Molly Ringwald are close in age but are icons of two different eras of the fictional teen life. I kind of want her to tell Archie to stop being such a little bitch and blast everyone for being such teen movie stereotypes.

• Love 13
48 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

It's weird when you remember that Luke Perry and Molly Ringwald are close in age but are icons of two different eras of the fictional teen life. I kind of want her to tell Archie to stop being such a little bitch and blast everyone for being such teen movie stereotypes.

Yeah because Luke was practically thirty when he played a teen while Molly really was a teen.

• Love 3

I see that everyone's come to a consensus that Betty and Jughead need to jump in bed already but I'm still wondering if he'll end up on the ace spectrum somewhere, lol. The emotional intimacy they share is deeper than many of the adult relationships on primetime, imho.

• Love 7

The episode was amazing!

First off, Julie Cooper rises from the ashes again, now as a blonde snake!! hahaah!! Omg! That Alice!! Not only does she have crazy genes but also from the other side of town and a potentially former snake?!?!?! they so -have- to do a flashback episode with the parents next season, it's just so damn interesting!! I wish they could just side focus on them... And the whole exchange with FP, those two knew each other pretty well at one point!!!

Finally! Some Barchie!!! They've been beating around the bush since the first episode! I'm glad its done!! Hopefully ARchie will stick around her for several episodes instead of going on to the next random girl. Gah, we've had one Brandon Walsh already, don't need to rehash one more. And that little smile exchange between Veronica and Jughead in the end, I was like, yeah, you don't smile like that unless you know its the start of something nice!!

And Cheryl: Deliciously evil... When she was going on with her little games, I was like "No wonder no one came to your freaking birthday!!". How can she go from good and semi-nice to just evil?! Poor damaged girl... I'm glad they brought up the twincest! Ha! Nice to get it back Cheryl!!

Chuck -- such a bad guy! I'm fearing his potential return....

The party in general -- Oh man, I was sooo digging the whole Seth Rogen bday thing!! lol!!! I liked that it brought most of the kids together! But, ok, it was definitely Moose that was making out with CHeryl, no? Isn't he meant to be with Midge (she's been mentioned, yes?)??

One thing that bugs me is -how- well do they know one another? I mean, ok, Betty knew both Jughead and Archie before but wouldn't she be aware of all his problems, if not -some-, and even if his birthday? Were they maybe only friendly to one another because of Archie, there only knew bits? Superficial friends? I just don't get that part but then again, Jughead is a completed case.

Betty and Jughead...... On one side, it was so thoughtful of Betty to want to celebrate her boyfriend's birthday but to do something he most likely would not want... As for jughead, eugh, I actually thought he was a bit douchy. I totally get his troubled past but to just tell her off like that... A bit harsh. He is the loner, ok, we get it, but don't speak bad of others (meaning that he wouldn't hang out with Kevin or Veronica were if not for Betty)... Is it self preservation? Is he trying to push people away before they realise he's just a freaky kid? I'm glad he told her that he brought out his insecurities with Archie. I'm happy they managed to overcome this in the end of the episode. I think it can only make them stronger (me hopes!).

Dark Betty -- she is always welcome! I like that side of her! I hope it will help her in the future! Wouldn't mind see her presence for a while in season 2, hahaah!

FP - His past is catching up with him, all his wrongdoings.... Not looking forward to the next episode.... I did like him despite his failures!

oh, had to add... Jughead taking out his beanie?!?!! Really? No reactions!!!

Edited by PeekaBoo
  • Love 2

"Oh, it's Kevin" was the best, most unenthusiastic reaction ever.

I really liked this episode - everyone is caught up on all the secrets, there are a few new secrets, twincest (lol), and I really appreciated Betty and Jughead actually sitting down and have a discussion about their feelings. I think most teen shows avoid showing the hard conversations about feelings to create extra drama.

I actually felt for Archie in this episode - he was having real problems/emotions over his parents divorce and I like that he wasn't sure how he felt about it.  He finally felt like he had a real stake in the show.   Loved him and Veronica!

I am totally excited to find out more about Alice Cooper's past as a South Side Serpent.  

Is Smithers the Doorman a viable suspect for the murder?  I feel like he's too loyal to Hermione not to be up to somthing.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Dee said:

Jughead describing his birthday party as "being in a Seth Rogen film" was hilarious.

I really enjoyed this too. I feel amidst all of the DRAMA in this episode, Jughead especially brought some levity with lines like this and his reactions to Kevin and Veronica were funny too. And I absolutely adored his little dance after taking the pizza out of the oven and the dainty pinky raise while drinking milk straight out of the carton.

6 hours ago, catrice2 said:

Hopefully they won't kill FP, I can see that happening.  He is one of the best things about the show.

I too fear that he may be killed off, but I hope for the very opposite. I want Skeet Ulrich to be promoted to series regular next season. He is by far one of the most interesting characters on the show, and I really love him and Jughead's relationship. For all of his shortcomings, FP truly does seem to love Jughead, and care about him so much. Skeet Ulrich is so fantastic in this role. I want more FP!

5 hours ago, RealFantasies said:

Archie certainly is a dumbass. This is the same Archie who in this very episode, touched a hot pizza pan and flinched in pain despite knowing that the pan had just come out the oven. He had literally just seen Jughead wearing oven mitts to handle the pan a mere millisecond before. 

I totally agree about the OTPs, and that those couples should be endgame. Veronica and Archie are so good for each other. They can open up to each other, they support each other, and the actors' chemistry is very good. 

5 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Also unpopular, I kind of liked that he brought up the Archie elephant in their relationship because honestly, there is no way I would buy that a part of Jughead wouldn't be insecure about the possibility of Betty still being into Archie considering how long she liked him and the only reason nothing happened is because Archie wasn't interested. Especially with the fact that these characters are all kids. It clearly hurt Betty and I felt for her but I thought it was a pretty real moment for them. 

Less unpopular, I really do think Archie's best chemistry is with Veronica and I know the show runners will ignore me and others in wanting them to avoid the Betty/Archie/Veronica triangle but until it happens, I will continue to wish that they do and just go with Veronica and Archie. Interestingly, I remember when reading the comics when I was younger that even then I thought Archie was most into Veronica and only went after Betty when Veronica was unavailable. It is funny how much Archie's jumping from girl to girl annoys some because if you think about it, it is sort of true to the comics. Archie was kind of idiot in the comics as well. At least the ones I read that weren't dark and emo Riverdale and more cutesy, 1950's Riverdale. 

My final unpopular opinion is that I actually hope to never see Chuck again. I found the character grating and the best moment of the episode for me was Jughead punching his stupid smirky face. 

I also kind of really liked that Jughead brought that up. I think it was justified on his part. Betty had a long ass crush on Archie, and he rejected her. Of course Jughead would worry that if Archie changed his mind, Betty would go running to him. Jughead's insecurities this episode gave me all the feels. He obviously feels like he's not good enough for Betty. He feels like he's the weird freak who will always be rejected, and that he doesn't deserve kindness. That being said, I think Betty did think that she was doing a nice thing throwing this party for Jughead. And she did just mean for it to be their circle of friends. But I felt for them both in their fight.

And yes to no more Chuck. So long, farewell Chuck.

5 hours ago, jay741982 said:

Yup. The Betty/Veronica friendship is amazing. The Jughead/Archie friendship is (for the most part, ahem Archie) amazing. Archie/Veronica's budding relationship is great, and Betty/Jughead's relationship is one of most riveting and well-written aspects of this show. No triangles, please. And no squares. There's enough drama and storylines on this show without love triangles/squares. Let's just ignore all of the shapes.

On a somewhat related note, I liked that there was a Jughead/Veronica scene tonight. Him catching her doing the "walk of shame" and promising not to tell anyone. Super cute scene. Hopefully with Veronica getting more involved with the investigation, we will see a Juggie/Veronica friendship start to develop! AND Juggie/Kevin. It made me kind of sad tonight when he said that he didn't really consider them friends. 

3 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

I am continually impressed how good Cole Sprouse is on this show.

Me too. He was especially impressive tonight. Tonight is the first time I ever cried at this show, and it was during the Jughead/FP scene after he punched Chuck. (I cry at TV shows A LOT, but never thought I would cry at this one, as much as I love it. It's more of a guilty pleasure type show, and I usually don't cry at those.) Cole sold all of the dramatic and emotional moments wonderfully, and also had a few moments that provided some levity to a drama heavy episode with his line deliveries and gestures.

The Betty and Jughead reconciliation scene at Pops...honestly, fantastic and sweet. They are really great for each other. Even though she's the "perfect girl-next-door" and he's from the "wrong side of the tracks", they are very compatible, and supportive of each other. They have common interests, and have been there for each other through all of their respective family issues. When he kissed her hands, I swooned so hard. I just want Jughead to have nice things, OK? Give the poor boy a break! Let him and Betty be wonderful together. (And on a shallow note, Juggie without his hat...hello, Jughead. Cole Sprouse's hair is majestic. And his face. Sorry. I clearly need sleep right now...)

Team Joakevin!! (That's a good shipper name...am I the first to cleverly say that? I'm not "Joaquin" around right now. I'm so sorry. This is the sleep deprivation again.) Although Joaquin is using Kevin, he does seem to have developed real feelings for him. FP looked very surprised to have walked in on their makeout session, which leads me to think that Joaquin was never supposed to take the relationship too far, and that he's kissing and spending so much time with Kevin because he likes it/him.

Veronica accusing Cheryl was so dramatically amazing, as was their dance-off. So campy, but that's what makes this my guilty pleasure/obsession. Veronica protecting her mom is sweet and sad.

• Love 10

I think the show's doing a great job with the parents. Maybe the only teen show I can remember where I'm legitimately interested in the dynamics of the adults. They're definitely crying out for a flashback episode. Hell, I could even imagine some season-long storyline where the adults try to hide some deep, dark season from the past. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, AdorkableSars said:

Hopefully with Veronica getting more involved with the investigation, we will see a Juggie/Veronica friendship start to develop! AND Juggie/Kevin. It made me kind of sad tonight when he said that he didn't really consider them friends. 

That was really the only part of the ep i didn't like.  (Aside from the inconsistency of Jughead having to be introduced to Joaquin - they were all part of the small group of teen volunteers to help Archie's dad)  My heart actually kind of broke at that comment because i love the Jug/Kevin relationship in the comics (Jug was the first friend Kevin made when he was introduced.)

One line but i appreciated having some Ethel/Jughead interaction this episode.

Betty's crown sweater and burger cake were just way too adorable!

Loved that Smithers/Veronica scene at the end.

And of course it's a good thing Betty did the double feature thing with Jughead instead of Archie given that "An American Werewolf in London" were among the films...and Archie doesn't like wolves too well...

• Love 2

Why is Chuck considered a "bad" guy who ought to be gone any more than than Cheryl?

Cheryl has been a regular antagonist, and way more of a legit thorn in everyone's side from the very beginning; and from the previews it seems as though she doubles down on her threats in the next couple of episodes.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Dee said:

Why is Chuck considered a "bad" guy who ought to be gone any more than than Cheryl?

Cheryl has been a regular antagonist, and way more of a legit thorn in everyone's side from the very beginning; and from the previews it seems as though she doubles down on her threats in the next couple of episodes.

Cheryl is a necessity due to the murder, and all the characters are entangled with her family to some extent (plus she's a core cast member), whereas Chuck is not so connected. However, he IS son to a semi-regular, so he's not going to ever be completely gone.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, AdorkableSars said:

Archie certainly is a dumbass. This is the same Archie who in this very episode, touched a hot pizza pan and flinched in pain despite knowing that the pan had just come out the oven. He had literally just seen Jughead wearing oven mitts to handle the pan a mere millisecond before. 

If touching a hot pizza pan makes Archie a dumbass, then I'm a dumbass. I have done this numerous times. Know something is hot and a second later touched it. The number of times I have told students not to touch a heated tripod and then touched it when helping them is ridiculous.

I didn't expect to enjoy this episode as I find teen parties on TV/in movies to be so cliché. Just a whole bunch of plot being yelled over annoying music. But this party was actually worth attending. Loved the game played and the airing of so much built up angst amongst the youth.  I loved that there was more of a reaction to the Grundy reveal than the insinuation of twincest. As much as I ended up enjoying the big party, I think it would have been nice to see the core group just having a quiet party, really get a feel for how they interact. Like the way Jughead acknowledged the existence of Ethel but didn't really care, and the rejected look on Ethel's face.

I thought Jughead was a bit painful this episode. I kinda get where he is coming from, but I am just not a fan of the woe is me act by any character. Especially when they are articulating it in a big monologue. When he was having a go at Betty, I caught myself yelling at the screen for Betty to 'Slap him, slap him hard' Archie and Veronica both had 'woe is me' moments this episode but they seemed more natural. Jughead's seemed a bit forced or maybe it was because he refused to accept that those around him want him to have a happy moment.

There must be a reason for Alice's past from the wrong side of town to be bought up. Well I hope there s and it wasn't just there for a 'Wow' moment. Speaking of Wow moments. I feel they should have left the arrival of Archie's mum a surprise and left Molly out of the preview and the guest star. I was waiting all episodes for her to appear. Speaking of Molly, am I the only one that finds her upper lip weird to the point of distraction.

For comic book readers - is it a big deal that Mr & Mrs Andrews were separated and are now divorcing. Does this also go against the vibe of the comic's history?

2 hours ago, AdorkableSars said:

Team Joakevin!! (That's a good shipper name...am I the first to cleverly say that? I'm not "Joaquin" around right now. I'm so sorry. This is the sleep deprivation again.) Although Joaquin is using Kevin, he does seem to have developed real feelings for him. FP looked very surprised to have walked in on their makeout session, which leads me to think that Joaquin was never supposed to take the relationship too far, and that he's kissing and spending so much time with Kevin because he likes it/him.

I agree, FP looked very annoyed that Joaquin was having fun. Nt sure why though, cause surely the closer Joaquin gets the more info he can extract from the sheriff's son without it looking obvious.

4 hours ago, Sisygambis said:

Is Smithers the Doorman a viable suspect for the murder?  I feel like he's too loyal to Hermione not to be up to somthing.

I feel Smithers was lying when he said Veronica's mum was a good person.

Can't believe I have to wait a fortnight for another hit.

• Love 1

Don't know who wants him gone and don't care. I want MORE.  The guy is too gorgeous.  If I were in High School, I would be team evil just for a shot at him.   I think he makes a good antagonist for the group as it can't be 24/7 Cheryl.   Introduce his partner in evil-doing "Nancy" and we've got ourselves a Season 2 Villains team.

I thought Jughead was a bit painful this episode. I kinda get where he is coming from, but I am just not a fan of the woe is me act by any character. Especially when they are articulating it in a big monologue. When he was having a go at Betty, I caught myself yelling at the screen for Betty to 'Slap him, slap him hard' Archie and Veronica both had 'woe is me' moments this episode but they seemed more natural. Jughead's seemed a bit forced or maybe it was because he refused to accept that those around him want him to have a happy moment.

I really do find him unlikeable.  I can't put my finger on why but this ep certainly didn't help.  When he was like "I would shun Kevin and Veronica if it weren't for you" all I could think was, would either notice or care?   Kevin and Veronica are worth 1000 Jugheads.

• Love 4

When he was like "I would shun Kevin and Veronica if it weren't for you" all I could think was, would either notice or care?   Kevin and Veronica are worth 1000 Jugheads.

While I am neutral on the love/hate of Jughead (I don't like the narration aspect of the character, but do like the actual acting) I thought this particular situation summed up how the character had some major flaws and was well done. Whatever his somewhat crappy background is, Jughead is the one who isn't allowing himself to get past it. Kevin and Veronica are clearly willing to accept Jughead or someone like Jughead into their social circle and don't appear to be asking him to make any changes (Betty is but Betty is also a lil clueless). No one is forcing Jughead into the role of school loner.

• Love 10
49 minutes ago, Dee said:

My two cents: Cheryl is interesting, clever and funny in her evil. 

Chuck is not.

The writers or maybe the actress have given Cheryl at least a second dimension, and I'd argue a third. Not so much with Chuck.

Cheryl's evil is also over-the-top, soap opera stuff that can be put aside since it doesn't happen in real life (or at least, not like that). Chuck's evil (sexually harassing female students, lying about having sex with them and slutshaming/bullying them) unfortunately does.

Also, Chuck brings up an uncomfortable stereotype of "horny black man, lusting after some white women."

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

Also, Chuck brings up an uncomfortable stereotype of "horny black man, lusting after some white women."

Yeah, that scene where Betty and Veronica tied up and tortured a black man was really, really uncomfortable.

Where are literally all of the teachers at this school? In no universe should Cheryl have such complete control over the cheer squad. Even if they're a club sport, there should at least be a faculty advisor to prevent Cheryl from, you know, just cutting girls she doesn't like. If that's her power, she should have been able to just fire Veronica, but I suppose that's too ridiculous even for this show.

I'm so frustrated by the whole Joaquin subplot. That was your big chance to give Kevin an actual storyline, show, and you blew it. Now he just shows up and is "Kevin's boyfriend" with absolutely no indication how he got from A to B.

This episode was a dud for me even with the Betty/Jughead drama. I'm looking forward to going inside the Blossom manse with Polly next week; that should bring the fun crazy.

Hi, Molly Ringwald!

• Love 2