Type keyword(s) to search

Zach and Tori

• Start Topic

I. Can't. With. The. Babe. Uh. 

Maybe if it was 'explained' on the show how she came up with that nickname for Zach it might not  GRATE ON MY NERVES so badly! I know, I'm a little BEC but it irks me to no end. 

Am I missing something? Have any of you ever heard this version of babe before? 

• Love 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I think you meant that it should be "to J and me."

I moved a lot as a kid and missed out on certain grammar lessons. However, what I do remember being told is don’t ever say ‘ person and me’ always say ‘ person and I’. So the insistence the last few years of switching between the two based on sentence structure is jarring for me.   I’m sure I often use it incorrectly. 

I think Tori is a kindergarten teacher- and a beginning one at that. I was more surprised at the reference to Jackson by a lower case j than anything else. It was still a beautiful birthday message. 

Edited by mythoughtis
Spelling
  • Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

I moved a lot as a kid and missed out on certain grammar lessons. However, what I do remember being told is don’t ever say ‘ person and me’ always say ‘ person and I’. So the insistence the last few years of switching between the two based on sentence structure is jarring for me.   I’m sure I often use it incorrectly. 

I think Tori is a kindergarten teacher- and a beginning one at that. I was morrmore surprised at the reference to Jackson by a lower case j than anything else. It was still a beautiful birthday message. 

The way to remember the rule: Remove the "person and." You wouldn't say, "The way you treat I is truly wonderful"; of course, you'd say, '"The way you treat me is truly wonderful." In this instance, act as if the "j and" is not there.  "J and me" is correct.

And the message really is beautiful -- simple, heartfelt, meaningful. It's easy to tell she really loves him. I imagine that has to be incredibly gratifying to Matt and Amy, in that I'm sure they worried Zach would have a more difficult time finding a mate.  I'm a Zach fan, so I get that Tori values his character and personality; I have to admit, though, that her obvious physical attraction to him humbles me. I've never thought of myself as terribly superficial, but I've often watched them and asked myself, "Could I be similarly attracted to a little person?" And I honestly don't know. I aspire to be the type of person to whom that wouldn't matter at all.

Edited by Literata
  • Love 12
On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:30 PM, Literata said:

No doubt that he does. But I suspect Audrey is a little much for them, despite their good nature. 

I recall the episode where the twins were buying each other Christmas gifts (or Birthday gifts  - drawing a blank).  Tori and Zach went to an antique store and bought them a thoughtful gift.  Jerk and Oddj bought them a flask that looked like a tampon, because Oddj found it so hilarious.

20 hours ago, HahYallDoin said:

I. Can't. With. The. Babe. Uh. 

Maybe if it was 'explained' on the show how she came up with that nickname for Zach it might not  GRATE ON MY NERVES so badly! I know, I'm a little BEC but it irks me to no end. 

Am I missing something? Have any of you ever heard this version of babe before? 

Yes - Jinger Duggar used it incessantly once she started courting.  They have to be getting it from a TV show (well, maybe not a TV show because the Duggars claim they don't watch TV, except for themselves, or Andy Griffith), or some source that I'm not in-tune with because I'm old now.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, funky-rat said:

I recall the episode where the twins were buying each other Christmas gifts (or Birthday gifts  - drawing a blank).  Tori and Zach went to an antique store and bought them a thoughtful gift.  Jerk and Oddj bought them a flask that looked like a tampon, because Oddj found it so hilarious.

Yes - Jinger Duggar used it incessantly once she started courting.  They have to be getting it from a TV show (well, maybe not a TV show because the Duggars claim they don't watch TV, except for themselves, or Andy Griffith), or some source that I'm not in-tune with because I'm old now.

You are right...Jinger overuses 'babe' way too much, like her sisters. 

But, Tori and Zach both say 'babe UH.' It's a two word thing, not just babe but babe uh, as evidenced in her birthday post to Zach. Someone linked to it above. You are so right, us older folks LOL don't use babe like the younger set but I've never heard anyone but Tori and Zach say babe uh.  

Thanks for your input...we oldie but goodie's have to stick together LOL 

• Love 1
On 5/11/2018 at 9:56 AM, AZChristian said:

I think you meant that it should be "to J and me."

Ha, yes, thanks, corrected!

On 5/11/2018 at 11:00 AM, mythoughtis said:

It’s not a recent insistence. This was in grammar books over 30 years ago.

• Love 2
(edited)
4 minutes ago, TheNewJanBrady said:

Which is after I graduated from high school by roughly 15 years.  

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 1

It was in grammar books in the 1940s and 1950s and probably before then.  But at any rate, there is no real excuse for Tori not to know basic grammar and to help her classes learn it.  That's part of her job and definitely one of the things kindergarten teachers do. 

• Love 8

Ugh, ‘smash’ cakes are repulsive. These are children, not veal.

I’m sure Tori is a good teacher and a lovely person, but I’m with you, @Absolom; it stresses me out when educators don’t know the most basic tenets of grammar!

• Love 8
18 hours ago, TheNewJanBrady said:

Yes. I was taught that in elementary school 60+ years ago. It also grates on me to hear "and I" when it should be "and me." Same for the other way around..... "Sam and me went to the beach....." Aaaaiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeee.

• Love 9
(edited)
On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:11 AM, Literata said:

The way to remember the rule: Remove the "person and." You wouldn't say, "The way you treat I is truly wonderful"; of course, you'd say, '"The way you treat me is truly wonderful." In this instance, act as if the "j and" is not there.  "J and me" is correct.

Easy way to check? Does it answer "we" or "us"?

Someone and I is "we".

Someone and me is "us".

Sorry, it's a pet peeve. I find a lot of people just use "I" for both because it sounds "intelligent". Little do they know...

Amy is the world's worst at using "I" for everything. Start paying attention to it and it will drive you nuts.

Edited by Ina123
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, Ina123 said:

Easy way to check? Does it answer "we" or "us"?

Someone and I is "we".

Someone and me is "us".

Sorry, it's a pet peeve. I find a lot of people just use "I" for both because it sounds "intelligent". Little do they know...

Amy is the world's worst at using "I" for everything. Start paying attention to it and it will drive you nuts.

I have & it does lol

• Love 3
(edited)
32 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

First thing that crossed my mind is they're planning another baby, but it's tight where they are so are buying bigger. I suppose some of that will be next season's story.

Exactly.  So, is Tori back to teaching or still out? Are either of them working, other than for the show and a little bit on the farm? I know that Zach was doing something for Matt's little people tools and equipment company.  Just curious.  I'm not really opposed to people who use their reality tv show proceeds as a regular income. I mean, it does take time and is somewhat invasive, since you sacrifice privacy.  But, if it pays the bills and you can support your family on it, then, well,.........I get it.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
32 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Exactly.  So, is Tori back to teaching or still out? Are either of them working, other than for the show and a little bit on the farm? I know that Zach was doing something for Matt's little people tools and equipment company.  Just curious.  I'm not really opposed to people who use their reality tv show proceeds as a regular income. I mean, it does take time and is somewhat invasive, since you sacrifice privacy.  But, if it pays the bills and you can support your family on it, then, well,.........I get it.  

Have no idea; she hasn't hinted on teaching on her SM from the little I've seen.

I get it too, but the show won't last forever. Hopefully they'll both keep up (or get) marketable skills for when the ride is over.

(edited)
25 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

Have no idea; she hasn't hinted on teaching on her SM from the little I've seen.

I get it too, but the show won't last forever. Hopefully they'll both keep up (or get) marketable skills for when the ride is over.

Yeah, I suppose you can jump back into their type of job pretty easy though.  I used to say that about making a career of being on a reality show years ago about the mothers on Teen Mom, but, here we are almost 10 years later and they are still sitting on the couch, acting poorly and getting paid pretty well to do it.  (Granted, Kaitlyn eventually did earn her BS degree.) But, with most, all they have now are more children. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1

Surely they won't chance having another dwarf baby? If so, doesn't that border on being abusive, to purposely get pregnant when the chances of the baby being handicapped are so high? I would think Zack would not want to put a child through what he has gone through? I can sort of see having one baby, but after that, it is just a shame.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yeah, I suppose you can jump back into their type of job pretty easy though.  I used to say that about making a career of being on a reality show years ago about the mothers on Teen Mom, but, here we are almost 10 years later and they are still sitting on the couch, acting poorly and getting paid pretty well to do it.  (Granted, Kaitlyn eventually did earn her BS degree.) But, with most, all they have now are more children. 

Not an admirable life though, IMO. I hope Zach & Tori do better.

30 minutes ago, winsomeone said:

Surely they won't chance having another dwarf baby? If so, doesn't that border on being abusive, to purposely get pregnant when the chances of the baby being handicapped are so high? I would think Zack would not want to put a child through what he has gone through? I can sort of see having one baby, but after that, it is just a shame.

I don't understand what's 'abusive' about it. Zach went through a lot in childhood but many people do, even those without dwarfism. They seem like they'll be very supportive, helpful parents to dwarf kids. Dwarfism is also not a guarantee that the child will go through anything surgical, as I'm not sure Amy had any surgeries; she's doing very well physically & otherwise. And even though Matt struggles physically, he's doing well with his life also -aside from personal struggles, but everyone has something they have to deal with in life. I think if anything these dwarf focused shows have demonstrated they have very full lives despite their challenges (& again we don't have to be dwarfs to have challenges, physical & otherwise), & no reason why not, which I think is great for them.

• Love 23
48 minutes ago, winsomeone said:

There are some different perspectives on this.  I found this article quite informative. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/05/health/05essa.html

(edited)
56 minutes ago, winsomeone said:

Little people seem to be ordinary people with brains, hopes and dreams, and a life that they seem to value.   Yes, they have physical challenges. Yes, some have surgeries.  But who is better equipped to guide someone thru it than one who has been there.  Zach and Tori seem much better equipped to be parents than, say, the people from Teen Mom or the Duggars. I don’t see anyone over at the Duggars house telling them they can’t have as many children as they want regardless of ability to provide for them.  

There was a program in some southern states( and possibly elsewhere)  in the mid 20th century where people were forcibly sterilized because certain people in power decided others shouldn’t have children due to things like the color of their skin, their IQ or their family history.   I think we all need to stay out of deciding life choices for others. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 17

Does anyone know of any famous dwarfs or those featured on tv who have average size kids, BESIDES Matt and Amy? I can't think of any. Earlier, someone posted the odds of Zach and Tori having a dwarf baby. I can't recall the percentages. 

I suppose, they could get some kind of genetic counseling or procedure to select, but, I can't imagine that Zack or Tori would go for that.  It just doesn't seem like them, based on what we have seen on tv, though, it's certainly an option. 

I am truly disturbed from the comments about abuse and how horrible they are. Didn’t know so many folks here were into eugenics. Sad, sad, sad.

2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Does anyone know of any famous dwarfs or those featured on tv who have average size kids, BESIDES Matt and Amy? I can't think of any. Earlier, someone posted the odds of Zach and Tori having a dwarf baby. I can't recall the percentages. 

I suppose, they could get some kind of genetic counseling or procedure to select, but, I can't imagine that Zack or Tori would go for that.  It just doesn't seem like them, based on what we have seen on tv, though, it's certainly an option. 

Yeah except for how many were cast in movies like Under the Rainbow, Wizard of Oz, Willy Wonka etc etc. What that has to do with them having kids is beyond me. Can you imagine being told because someone doesn’t like the way you look that you shouldn’t have kids? 

• Love 11
7 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Years ago, there was a show or special on TLC where a dwarf couple had a baby boy. He wasn't very old, maybe a year. They found out he was going to average-sized. I don't remember their names. I just remember the mother was kind of bossy.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, winsomeone said:

I can sort of see having one baby, but after that, it is just a shame.

Who are we to begrudge anyone ?

Life is life...regardless of the package.

17 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Peter Dinklage (achondroplasia)  and his wife, Erica Schmit (average height) have a daughter that is of average height. I believe with achondroplasia, which Zach has, he and Tori have a 50/50 chance of having an achondroplasia child with each pregnancy. 

• Love 3

I didn't mean to imply that Zack and Tori don't have the right to have as many dwarf babies as they chose. If they want a dozen, go for it. Myself, one would be enough. Zack didn't have much good to say about growing up, and neither did Bill Klein. Life is hard enough without starting out handicapped. It is one thing to have a handicapped child out of the blue, but to knowingly keep having babies when your chances of having many more with handicaps just seems selfish to me. Everyone to their own opinion though of course.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, winsomeone said:

Zack didn't have much good to say about growing up, and neither did Bill Klein.

Many of us have shitty childhoods, & often adulthood isn't much better even though average sized.

Zach & Bill have had a lot of advantages & seem pretty damn happy at this point.

• Love 5

If it matters, Zach and Tory have a 50% chance of having a dwarf child. Amy also had a 50% chance of having dwarf children. Whether they should or shouldn't is entirely their decision

• Love 7

Amy and Matt together would not have a 50% chance of a dwarf child.  They "beat" the odds considerably.  I think I read that if a fetus inherited both achondroplasia from Amy and dyostrophic (?) from Matt, that it would be a fatal combination and statistically 25% of their pregnancies would run that risk.  25% would have achondroplasia and 25% would be dyostrophic, and 25% would be average height.  Did I get that right?

• Love 2

Matt's the dyastrophic dwarf. It is recessive. Both he and Amy would have to carry the gene in order to have a dyastrophic child.

Amy has achondroplasia. That is dominant so every time she got pregnant she had a 50 percent chance of having a child with achondroplasia. 

You're thinking of the "double dominant" scenario that they talk about on some of the other shows. It' not in play here because Matt and Amy have different forms of dwarfism and Matt's form is recessive. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, winsomeone said:

I didn't mean to imply that Zack and Tori don't have the right to have as many dwarf babies as they chose. If they want a dozen, go for it. Myself, one would be enough. Zack didn't have much good to say about growing up, and neither did Bill Klein. Life is hard enough without starting out handicapped. It is one thing to have a handicapped child out of the blue, but to knowingly keep having babies when your chances of having many more with handicaps just seems selfish to me. Everyone to their own opinion though of course.

And what about the families who have nothing in their genes and still have handicapped children? Genetics happen, it’s not selfish. You are literally defending eugenics under the guise of being “kind” to people with handicaps. 

• Love 5
On 5/24/2018 at 12:22 PM, gonecrackers said:

Many of us have shitty childhoods, & often adulthood isn't much better even though average sized.

Zach & Bill have had a lot of advantages & seem pretty damn happy at this point.

Yeah, I haven't heard them complain that they were alive. 

• Love 3
On 5/23/2018 at 2:52 PM, winsomeone said:

Well, Amy and Matt had Molly and Jacob after the twins.  Molly and Jacob were regular-sized.  I don't see it as abusive at all.  Yes, the child might be a dwarf, but I wouldn't consider that a life-threatening handicap.

• Love 5
On 5/23/2018 at 3:50 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

On this week's pumpkin season episode they featured their dwarf friend who was in the Pirates of the Caribbean movie who had an average-sized daughter.

• Love 2

WTF is up with Tori's hair in this week's episode?  Looked like a failed attempt at highlights?  I think she was trying for blond, but since her hair is naturally dark it looked orange.  Not a good look.

(edited)

Her BIL also has professional photographers practically living with them; plenty of people to ask... but, comments = hits, so, there's that.

With Jacob's self serving book & those photos of red headed fiance & man bun - they're Jer & Auj 2.0.

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 6