Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E02: Archer Dreamland: Bernice

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Of course Dreamland's version of Cheryl is still straight up crazy, and very willing to give her body to Archer.

Again, I'm liking where this show is going, I'm hooked. And I can't wait to see what happens to Dutch after he gets "fixed."

• Love 2

Holy crap this season is brilliant so far. Unlike the previous reinventions, they've fully immersed themselves into the noir setting, and it totally works. I know we're barely a fifth of the way through, but this season just feels more committed to the concept than their earlier attempts.

Nice to see that a Cheryl by any other name is just as insane. Of course Charlotte would be lugging a dead maid around in a car trunk. Why not?!?

Welcome back, Mr. Tambor! And nice job with the Forties gangster accent. Also, nice to see that Dutch/Barry is still the universe's punching. If we don't get to see conversations between "Dutch" and "Other Dutch," I will be disappointed.

• Love 2

I think this season works because unlike all the other incarnations this just feels like what the show was always meant to be. 

I loved the fact that Archer and Cheryl drove around for hours with a dead body in their trunk.  Plus all the wordplay was just hilarious. 

"This cannot be the middle"

"How have you not been murdered?"

• Love 3

Cheryl was on fire this week! Her back and forth with Archer was perfect. You get more of the impression that she is just a pile of crazy, instead of bullied by him. Which has been the case sometimes. 

"This can not be the middle" is still making me laugh!

As it turns out, I can hate Cyril in any incarnation. 

So far, this version of Archer is working for me. Far better than Archer: Vice, that's for sure. The noir detective stuff is ripe for a send up, and they're hitting every trope they can.

The character makeovers are really well thought out. Cyril as a bent cop, Pam as more of a Bud White type bruiser, Lana as the sultry club singer, Cheryl as the rich femme fatale. In fact, I really like this version of Cheryl. Still crazy, but not completely barking. And she's a good foil for Archer, who isn't used to her craziness in this world, so reacts with mounting exasperation. 

In fact, this episode made me think, Archer and Cheryl have never had that many scenes together, throughout the show She tends to be in storylines with Pam, Cyril or Malory. Their power dynamic is so unequal in the real world, that there's not much you can do that doesn't end with Archer just dismissing her. Here, she's far more able to challenge him.

I loved the visual gags of 'Bernice', with Cheryl holding her head like a puppet, them dragging her about the place, the makeup. And of course, Archer is able to reference a movie when naming her. And the bait and switch of "we're being followed" to Archer being hit by the car, to the car being driven by innocent passersby, to Cyril and Pam turning up.

Lana has been rather underused so far, but I do like seeing Archer being struck dumb by her hotness. Another change in power dynamic that suits the characters well.

• Love 1

I so hope we see a Vandertunt Castle at some point, that we get to see Cecil and Tiffy again, and that Chris and Lydia Hardwick appear as Charlotte and Cecil's parents.

I thought it was interesting that Charlotte, while still crazy like Cheryl, doesn't seem to get off on emotional or physical violence which was something Archer was disturbed by in the non-coma world.

• Love 1

Loved Cheryl's Charlotte! Bug-fucking-nuts without being dismissed for said nuttery.  Everything about her road trip to death with Archer was brilliant!  I can't wait to see what else she does this season.

• Love 2

I could have gone another good 25 minutes of Cheryl cracking on Archer not performing. 

The version of the show I was watching didn't bleep out "We just fucked" and I almost lost it on the plane.

I saw this episode live on Wednesday but I am here right now typing this out:

First, I do think that it was obvious that Cyril was the one who accepted the money and also that Poovey was also in on it but then again, if so then why didn't Poovey just return the sex workers back to the mob? Len Trexler seems upset that he didn't get his sex workers back but if Poovey is also a crooked cop then why didn't she (or is Pam supposed to be a dude in this dream?) just return the sex workers and where did she drop them off?

Second, yeah all versions of Cheryl are bat-shit insane. And this was by far the second craziest version, aside from the time she wanted the gang to wipe her mind and replaced it with a country singer persona back in Season 5. I still think that was the craziest version ever. Also, I have a feeling that Barry is going to be a cyborg by the end of the season and that Kriger is always involve with shady science dealings. 

Edited by TVSpectator
1 minute ago, TVSpectator said:

I saw this episode live on Wednesday but I am here right now typing this out:

First, I do think that it was obvious that Cyril was the one who accepted the money and also that Poovey was also in on it but then again, if so then why didn't Poovey just return the sex workers back to the mob? Len Trexler seems upset that he didn't get his sex workers back but if Poovey is also a crooked cop then why didn't she (or is Pam supposed to be a dude in this dream?) just return the sex workers and where did she drop them off?

I believe she's stashing the sex workers in her apartment.

• Love 2

I think this is my favorite version of Cheryl.  It's only been two episodes but, so far I'm loving Dreamland.

I like that they're switching up partners and we're getting to see Archer interact with characters that are usually side characters (Pam, Cheryl, Cyril). My only complaint at this point is the lack of Ray.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, TVSpectator said:

First, I do think that it was obvious that Cyril was the one who accepted the money and also that Poovey was also in on it but then again, if so then why didn't Poovey just return the sex workers back to the mob?

I thought it was pretty clear that Poovey was in on something, but did not know about the sex workers specifically and drew the line when it was found out.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, PinkRibbons said:

I thought it was pretty clear that Poovey was in on something, but did not know about the sex workers specifically and drew the line when it was found out.

That could be the case but I feel like once Cyril is going to find out it was Archer he is probably going to try to shot him and also probably try to kill Poovey. 

Any episode that focuses heavily on Cheryl (or I guess Charlotte this time) is good in my book.  Love that she still as nutty as always in Dreamland.  Judy Greer is always spectacular and really sells the insane lines that Cheryl/Charlotte spouts out.

Cyril being in on the take is an interesting development.  Especially since Pam is the one who actually as the women.

Of course Krieger is somehow going to get Barry his legs back.  Or something close to it, knowing him!

I do hope we get more of Dreamland's Lana soon.

• Love 1

I love how much the show has committed to the noir theme this season. It really is what this show has always wanted to be, on some level.

This version of Cheryl is still all kinds of crazy, but maybe a different kind of crazy then non coma Cheryl. She doesn't seem to get off on pain or violence, at least not yet. Plus, Archers reactions to her are hilarious, especially considering this version isn't used to her weirdness, like everyone is in the non coma universe.

So far so good.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Plus, Archers reactions to her are hilarious, especially considering this version isn't used to her weirdness

"Your hotel is..."

"nice".

Archer bangs head on steering wheel in exasperation. 

• Love 2