Type keyword(s) to search

Season 3 Discussion

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Don got so angry when he was interviewed and the woman asked him if he were inside our or outside of his cell when the door was slammed on him.  She asked a question and he took it as an accusation that he was doing the wrong thing and that his response to her at that point was also wrong so he became very defensive of his choice of actions and tried not to answer her.  You could immediately see her go into an automatic response, because she has inmates act that exact same way every day.  It just made her think that the CO was justified and that Don didn't follow the rules.  That's why the other guy said the situation showed that the CO can respond differently/act flexible when he stated his cell was eventually opened even though the situation seemed more like he did it because every inmate was against him.  Don's attitude ruined what good might have come out of that situation.

• Love 3

So wait    How's Nate doing the after show?  

Also, I had a flash that Alan Thomas was part of the second wave.    "Federal hold" and getting air time.  Think anyone from Wave 2 will be related to Wave 1?

What's crazy to me about the fight that Mauri broke up was once again where were the officers? Weren't they buzzing for them? 

So either Calvin was  torally delusional or there was some editing done.   They definitely were hitting him up for items but what else was happening?

I knew nothing would come of the pill popping and smoking weed.   They were apparently thinking Matt was undercover though we only saw that at the end not smoking would have confirmed it.   

On 5/9/2017 at 8:25 PM, August79 said:

Matt was almost gleeful about it though "Smoking weed in a jail cell.   Check that off the bucket list!" 

I think that's funny.

14 hours ago, nicky1975 said:

Does anyone else get annoyed listening g to Don talk?  He says "know what I'm saying?" after everything he says.  It drives me nuts!  I know what you're saying because you just said if.  The only thing that will make it interesting is if you make a drinking game out of it.  Take a drink every time he says it, and you'll likely be drunk before the show is over.

There have been a lot of comments about Don's annoying use of that phrase.  You'll find them when you read back through previous posts, if you're interested.

I also strongly suspected Alan was part of the show.  At first I was thinking, "They sure didn't show much of Alan throughout the season" before they said he would be in an upcoming season.

Please, God, don't ever make me go to jail or prison.

• Love 1
(edited)

Not only does Don (I love how the captain calls him Donnie) say "you know what I'm saying" after every sentence he also says "man" way too much man.  

I really hope as he watches the show he realizes how utterly ridiculous he sounds every time he opens his mouth and make some changes. 

On a totally shallow note, the male captain, can not remember his name, has the strangest nose I've ever seen.  Instead of two nostrils it looks like he has just one big one. 

Another shallow note, Jon has one of those faces that really needs facial hair. He looked so much better with the beard. 

Edited by Maharincess
Because to and too are very different.
  • Love 3

I agree with you about Jon and his beard. His weak chin needs it, and he does have a nice, full beard. Maybe his gf doesn't though. Isn't there a saying, "a beard hides a multitude of sins?" 

• Love 2

Who else thought that Calvin's long nails were pretty weird. I couldn't take my eyes off of them! ugh!

4 hours ago, Maharincess said:

Not only does Don (I love how the captain calls him Donnie) say "you know what I'm saying" after every sentence he also says "man" way too much man.  

I really hope as he watches the show he realizes how utterly ridiculous he sounds every time he opens his mouth and make some changes. 

On a totally shallow note, the male captain, can not remember his name, has the strangest nose I've ever seen.  Instead of two nostrils it looks like he has just one big one. 

Another shallow note, Jon has one of those faces that really needs facial hair. He looked so much better with the beard. 

Yes! Don drove me crazy with 'you know what I'm saying' and 'man' all the frigging time. He needs to learn more phrases and words! LoL!

• Love 5
11 hours ago, August79 said:

So wait    How's Nate doing the after show?  

Also, I had a flash that Alan Thomas was part of the second wave.    "Federal hold" and getting air time.  Think anyone from Wave 2 will be related to Wave 1?

What's crazy to me about the fight that Mauri broke up was once again where were the officers? Weren't they buzzing for them? 

So either Calvin was  torally delusional or there was some editing done.   They definitely were hitting him up for items but what else was happening?

I knew nothing would come of the pill popping and smoking weed.   They were apparently thinking Matt was undercover though we only saw that at the end not smoking would have confirmed it.   

Calvin thought he was 'the boss' I couldn't stop laughing. They used him and he thought he was cool. Very delusional.

• Love 3
On 5/11/2017 at 2:27 PM, Kid said:

I don't like him.  He acts like a thug.

I don't like Don either. He had such a chip on his shoulder. Know what I'm saying? Know what I'm saying, man? Man!

On 5/9/2017 at 0:17 PM, FairyDusted said:

For real! I'd be starting fights. I'll have to look at the Bio. I hadn't researched it. Just a knee jerk reaction to the whole damn scene. And taking pills that were in someone elses mouth. NFW! Making that drink looked dirty as hell.

I caught a disease just by watching that episode! It was so gross that she did that.

• Love 2
(edited)

I forgot about Calvin's long fingernails!  What the hell?  I know they let them cut their nails inside.  That was nasty. 

I ended up not liking Matt. He was just a little too smug and full of himself. His comment about his 18 inches of hair made my eyes roll so far that my head still hurts. That's not an accomplishment Matt. 

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 3

I loved the sheriff's comment about how being defensive wouldn't help him learn or improve his jail. He and his captain (I think that was the woman's rank?) handled all of the feedback awesomely. And he surely watched seasons 1 and 2! Could you imagine Smug Scotty's reaction to participants snorting and smoking?! I honestly think if those things had happened in Jefferson county they would have caught charges.

(edited)

I wonder if Calvin played guitar without a pick.  Classical guitarists play with their fingernails so they are longer.  My guitar teacher would sometimes use a press on nail if his fingernails broke and he had a concert to give.  It's not limited to that, Paul McCartney doesn't usually play with a pick.

Edited by Eater of Worlds
On 5/14/2017 at 11:02 AM, Nancypants said:

Damn, I wish my nails were as long and perfect as Calvin's!

His nails gave me chills. So gross. And useless on guitar. At least on the hand managing the fret and not the strings. Nails only make it more difficult. Either way, ick. It was not appealing to me. I reserve the right to hate when guys have unkempt nails the same way guys don't like a girl with unshaved body parts. Manicure, people! It's a good thing!

• Love 1
(edited)

Shut up Don!!  Nobody gives a fuck what you're saying. He talks so fast that I can't understand a word he says, the only thing he says clearly is "you know what I'm saying".  Shut up!  I can not stand him.  I was really hoping that they had done the reunion after the contestants had seen all of the episodes.  I want to know if he realizes how stupid he sounds.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 7

Anyone watch the reunion show?  Apparently, they filmed it before anyone saw any of the footage.  Couple of random thoughts:

• Calvin still thinks he did a good job
  • Don still has no idea what he's saying and still has a chip on his shoulder
  • Matt and Michelle kind of laughed off their drug use.  Michelle tried to say she didn't really get any of it.  Yeah, right.
  • Their ganging up on the guy who quite very early was over the top, in my opinion.
  • I liked Colonel Adger overall, but he still seemed to kind of think the idea of the program was more of a scared-straight program.  Maybe they sort of transition to that mind-set when they see the participants "act like inmates", but they have to in order to survive
  • I like Nate.  I know not everyone does, but I do.  Maybe because I get the veteran mentality but I really appreciated his approach.
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, GenL said:

Anyone watch the reunion show?  Apparently, they filmed it before anyone saw any of the footage.  Couple of random thoughts:

• Matt and Michelle kind of laughed off their drug use.  Michelle tried to say she didn't really get any of it.  Yeah, right.
  • Their ganging up on the guy who quite very early was over the top, in my opinion.
  • I liked Colonel Adger overall, but he still seemed to kind of think the idea of the program was more of a scared-straight program.  Maybe they sort of transition to that mind-set when they see the participants "act like inmates", but they have to in order to survive
  • I like Nate.  I know not everyone does, but I do.  Maybe because I get the veteran mentality but I really appreciated his approach.

What's up with Calvin's outfit????  First the nails, then the outfit.  Nice guy but strange.

• Love 2

I liked Colonel Adger and agree that he may have started this as a scared straight, but now, I think he honestly wants it better.  

But I'm a bit naive.  lol

I was surprised by all the anger and annoyance with Jerson and no one bothered saying a word to Jessica for punking out.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, hatchetgirl said:

I was surprised by all the anger and annoyance with Jerson

I remember how happy I was that he quit before he went in because he seemed to be a guy who was destined to be somebody's "bitch".  He made the right choice.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I remember how happy I was that he quit before he went in because he seemed to be a guy who was destined to be somebody's "bitch".  He made the right choice.

Same here. I remember seeing him and thinking that somebody his size shouldn't be doing the show, then he started speaking and I thought he REALLY shouldn't be doing it. 

He absolutely made the right choice. 

• Love 3

Can Soledad O'Brien host every reunion for every show? I thought she did a great job. 

They jumped on Gerson way too much and that whole thing about how are you going to mentor kids if you didn't have this experience...ummm the same way he's been doing it and the same way Calvin was doing it prior to this smh.

I was hoping they were about to bring Dashaun out before it was revealed that he was back in jail. They should have at least talked to one of the actual inmates. I'm always curious about their reactions. Jamie from the first season posted a couple of YouTube videos about it and I left a nice comment and she thanked me so that was kinda cool lol.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/9/2017 at 0:16 PM, PoshSprinkles said:

Does anyone know why the girls are placed in an open room with several bunk beds and the men are confined to two-man cells? It seems like a lot of the drama on the men's side is dampened with that set-up since they are put on lockdown on a regular basis and can't interact. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but why aren't the women arranged like that?

Also, will Michelle and Matt get in trouble for their drug use? Or do they only "catch charges" if an actual CO catches them?

The disparity between how men and women are treated seems off to me--like the women are an afterthought. (Two man cells vs eight woman cells, women's wing located some distance away from the main area, men handcuffed for interviews while women are not, and so on. Yet women can be just as violent as men; we saw fights in both areas.

Jessica quitting vs Gerson: Is it because Jessica tried? (He really shouldn't have come back for the reunion.)

I had a student a few semesters back who had the "you know what I'm sayin'" habit/tic. Every time he said it, I would say, "Yes, I know what you're saying." After a few weeks, he would think before he spoke and catch himself. 

I'm one of those that saved a bunch of episodes and watched them all at once. Otherwise, I would have been more active here. It seemed like the editors delighted in their cliffhangers. 

That said, I'll probably be more active in Phase 2/Season 4. 

ETA: I wonder if Calvin still thinks he was a boss. Maybe they have to have a delusional person on every season. 

Edited by Porterest
On 5/19/2017 at 11:30 PM, Maharincess said:

Same here. I remember seeing him and thinking that somebody his size shouldn't be doing the show, then he started speaking and I thought he REALLY shouldn't be doing it. 

He absolutely made the right choice. 

On 5/19/2017 at 9:37 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

TOTALLY agree.  That guy would have had a really rough time.  And I have a feeling the show wanted that, they knew he would be a target and wanted to see how he would deal with it.  Not cool when those pods seem to have zero supervision.  I guess you could say that Calvin possibly could have come off the same way - he's small and has a soft voice. 

Wonder why they give them all the same story as being on a Federal hold?  Which they said was fishy to other inmates because no one is there on a federal hold - so why not give them something a little more believable.  They said no one had papers but the real inmates did, why not give them fake papers? 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, gunderda said:

Wonder why they give them all the same story as being on a Federal hold?  Which they said was fishy to other inmates because no one is there on a federal hold - so why not give them something a little more believable.  They said no one had papers but the real inmates did, why not give them fake papers? 

This is completely by memory- which is honestly not great- but I think it has something to do with the fact that they won't get a court date during the 60 days on a federal hold so that has to be their story so no one is suspicious about how they never leave for court.  Something along those lines.

2 hours ago, GenL said:

This is completely by memory- which is honestly not great- but I think it has something to do with the fact that they won't get a court date during the 60 days on a federal hold so that has to be their story so no one is suspicious about how they never leave for court.  Something along those lines.

ahh ok i guess that does make some sense then.

(edited)

So inmates on a federal hold don't have papers?

Oh, and maybe everyone shouldn't say, "Pack up; you're going home", only to put the programees in irons and claim they are being transferred. It's a little obvious. 

Edited by Porterest
42 minutes ago, Porterest said:

Oh, and maybe everyone shouldn't say, "Pack up; you're going home", only to put the programees in irons and claim they are being transferred. It's a little obvious. 

I thought that if part of the back-story was that they were coming from another county (which I know was true in Indiana, not sure about ATL) that in order to get released they would have to be transferred back to the original county and released from there. So saying they're released and putting them in shackles would not be mutually exclusive.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I thought that if part of the back-story was that they were coming from another county (which I know was true in Indiana, not sure about ATL) that in order to get released they would have to be transferred back to the original county and released from there. So saying they're released and putting them in shackles would not be mutually exclusive.

Now that you mention it, that was part of Clark County; I remember some of them having to change into jumpsuits before "the arrest" in a garage somewhere. But was that the case here? No one changed, at least.

But that does make sense, though the shackles seem unnecessary if they are just getting a ride to the original county. It's not like they're going to escape. And I was just thinking that if they had never actually gone to court, then a release--particularly federal--would be unlikely. Yes, cases can be dismissed, but that doesn't happen as much with federal cases. 

Who knows? We are trying to apply logic to a world where WhipIt and buttcrack marajuana are highlights. 

• Love 1
On 5/19/2017 at 0:06 PM, GenL said:

I didn't think they ganged up on him at all. I think they asked him some fair questions. He mentors kids like the ones in Fulton County and specifically stated he wanted to do this program to show those kids what it's like in jail, only he wanted to do it in a jail that isn't run w/people like the kids he mentors, he wants to go somewhere like Clark County. Once he realizes it's gonna be Fulton County Jail, he backs out. What kind of message does that send to the kids he mentors? If he was too scared to go to jail w/people like them, he shoulda thought about that before he signed up to do this whole thing in attempt to relate to them and teach them. 

• Love 1
On 3/3/2017 at 1:32 PM, tvsoothesthespirit said:

Although I don't buy the jailer's "we need help figuring things out," line; I do believe this show could help change the jail. My hope still is that the jailers are using the show to draw attention to what's happening and eventually get more money. Maybe when know how it really is, they'll be more willing to pay the taxes required to bring these places up to standards that are at least humane.

I agree -- no objections, really, to any of the contestants so far!

Yeah, let's make law abiding citizens pay even more to provide better housing, food, clothing, and medical to people who repeatedly break the law (and who don't pay their fair share either) and who would rob, rape or kill you if you got in their way.  Jail is not supposed to be easy... It's punishment and hopefully a deterrent. 

Edited by Jojas24
  • Love 1

I think they have to much freedom and are running the facility. If they had to rise at 5 am to be shackled and taken out to do 8 hours of work cleaning up the roadways or some kind of work somewhere ( does anyone remember the chain gangs?) to earn their keep maybe they wouldn’t want to go back. They shouldn’t have more rights than the people who are out in the real world, they shouldn’t have access to E-cigs, or sweets or all the commissary that they do....  this is prison, not a vacation or a place to go because they are hungry. They should be put in their cells not free to roam and party and do drugs, form clicks and fight. If they can’t be put on a work chain they should have to do educational studies with homework expected from them... mandatory. It looks to me like just a money making environment for the owners of the facilities to get rich via commissary, commissary need to stop completely. The inmates should have to keep their cell and day room spotless at all times and it should be inspected daily... they make the mess they should clean it! Did everyone forget they don’t have rights like everyone on the outside, they are there for a reason! With no structure they will just come back repeatedly. Don’t make it a place they want to come back to. Take some tips from the prisons in Arizona they have to work for what they want to eat. The jail system is a joke these days. There isn’t consequences for their actions at all from what I’ve seen.

• Love 1

Why do they have a remote for the television? It should be put on the History channel or something Educational and left there with no way to change channel, that should be controlled by the facility. Maybe then they could learn something. Back to commissary.... sugar is a toxin to the body and when that’s all they are consuming of course it’s going to effect their mental abilities. If you have to have commissary items make it healthy choices without sugar. I noticed most of the participants come out fatter than when they went in , I think they should weigh them and do blood work and get the overall health before they go in and see where they are when they come out. What you put in your body is what you become, nutrition plays a big role in their mental status. There should be cameras EVERYWHERE! They have no rights remember they left those behind when they committed a crime!! If you don’t want them to come back make it a place they don’t want to come back to! Again it’s just a big party 24/7 in there for them why not go back!!!!

• Love 1
On 10/14/2019 at 6:37 PM, Jojas24 said:

Yeah, let's make law abiding citizens pay even more to provide better housing, food, clothing, and medical to people who repeatedly break the law (and who don't pay their fair share either) and who would rob, rape or kill you if you got in their way.  Jail is not supposed to be easy... It's punishment and hopefully a deterrent. 

I agree it’s a punishment, it’s not suppose to be a vacation or a place to be put when you’re hungry because you’ve spent all your money on drugs and can’t afford to feed yourself! They need to be up at 5 am and do labor for 8 hours a day, then when they get back to the  cell and have to do the chores to clean the area, after all they make the mess. They should have to work to pay for the room and board they are getting!! If they had to put in a hard days work you know they wouldn’t want to come back!  I also don’t think the prisoners should be the ones to dictate where they bunk or who gets a bunk, they should be assigned a bunk. They should not be allowed to enter anyone else’s cell.  I see the enclosed cells a problem, they should all be in an open area like the overflow are in day area. I think the bathroom should be stalls with a drain in the common area where  they can be seen by CO’s via cameras. The inmates shouldn’t be allowed to dictate who and when others can relieve themselves. I say get rid of enclosed cells and slap in bunks everywhere. No cells, no place to hide and do criminal activities. 

• Love 1

They talk about contraband and drugs in prison..... well caffeine and nicotine are both drugs even though they are a legal and “privilege” drug on the outside they should be banned from prison! Cigarettes and coffee are a luxury NOT a necessity BAN THEM! 

• Love 1

There needs to be a lights out!  They should be in their bunks when it’s lights out no congregating and partying! So what do the CO’s do all day?  Not their jobs that’s for sure. The prisoners should be safe when doing their time . They are their to do their time for the crime committed, they have cameras for a reason,  use them! Who is monitoring the cameras ? Are they even paying attention? If the prisoners break the rules there should be consequences, it shouldn’t be swept under the rug! Do your job you are getting paid to do!!

• Love 1