Type keyword(s) to search

Giada At Home - General Discussion

• Start Topic

*snip*

She can be annoying, but compared to several other FN hosts, she is relatively inoffensive. Some of the making fun of her repetitiveness, I think, comes from comparing her now to how she used to be. The original Everyday Italian show was really good. The new, improved "lifestyle" show, not so much.

Yup.  I'll tune in every once in a while, hoping that maybe this time Giada will make something that can be a "keeper" for me (like vegetable fritto misto that she made with my all-time favorite aunt, Raffie :>)...but unfortunately, I find her making God-awful food combos (something like nutella, sage & prosciutto sandwiches). That fritto misto is the only meal she's made on her lifestyle show that I've made (as opposed to lots of her recipes from Everyday Italian that are keepers in our home).  So, all of that + the constant grinning + the OTT cleavage? A true target for snark (but sometimes tuning in just hoping for something new & edible for a change).

• Love 1

Well, Giada is certainly the opposite of Ree when it comes to the holidays. Last night, Ree said the holidays were no time to skimp on butter, sugar, etc. Giada's mission was to make Christmas dinner "light." And light it was. There were two 14-oz. branzinos for five adults and two kids. I guess that was enough? Each adult got two oysters. (I doubt the kids would eat those, maybe?)

Giada must have raided Forever 21 as she was wearing a red sweatshirt that said, "This Girl Loves Christmas" with two white thumbs up. It must have not fit very well as the left shoulder kept slipping off.

Today she said that "oregano is smoky," lemon is "nice and citrusy" (duh) and spinach and tarragon taste like "freshly cut grass."

I think the Frugal Gourmet's recipe for barbequed shrimp seems better. Seeing Giada make barbequed shrimp triggered me to want to make some.

Somebody (I don't think it was Giada) started to admonish one of the kids for taking more than one dessert cookie. I think it was her sister.

No clue who the other older blonde woman was who was sitting by Aunt Raffi.

Speaking of, I was sorely disappointed that Aunt Raffi wasn't in the kitchen with Giada, drinking wine and grating Parmesan.

• Love 2

Saw this episode as well grisgris and heard the admonishment about the cookie and thought, 'what the hell?!'  

These people are so weird about their serving size, serving portions, etc.  I thought it was Giada's sister 'Louie' who said it to her own son, Julian.  I could be wrong.

To the best of my knowledge, I believe the older blonde woman is their deceased grandfather's wife.

Giada's outfit was something else.  Was watching at my mom's house while decorating her tree and she commented about the 'off the shoulder look.'  It was a cute top................if you are a twenty-something.  

Edited by finnzup

I'm getting a kick out of all of the ingredient descriptions (smoky, lemony, etc.).  I've noticed that some other TV chefs/cooks do it too.  Heaven forbid that Rachel Ray cook with any type of cumin that isn't 'smoky', and I heard Trisha Yearwood say on one of her episodes that cilantro (yuck!) was 'vacationy'. 

One other Giada-ism is that many dishes must be cooked until they are gold'n brown--not golden, gold'n.  She's very specific.

• Love 1

What's going to happen to the Giada At Home show now that her home doesn't include a husband?  He seemed to appear on most episode & she was constantly referring to him in connection with the day's "plot".

• Love 1

Page Six says they are divorcing. I bet her ego and ambition got too big for Todd. She has gotten so full of herself.

Pickles, if you go to Blind Gossip, you can read where she is full of a lot more than herself. They said "Here are some of her habits that her corporate sponsors probably don’t know about: She has a huge sexual appetite that is only satisfied with men who are not her husband; she loves to party; she is down with the swirl; and she enjoys having more than one man at a time." How do you say "orgy" in Giada-Speak?

• Love 2

Page Six says they are divorcing. I bet her ego and ambition got too big for Todd. She has gotten so full of herself.

My first thought was last year's Thanksgiving special and maybe Todd (who was watching) really got a close look at how his wife behaved on live TV, not caring how she came across (OTT flirting with Bobby Flay).  I bet his own family will be thrilled (they're so Midwestern, quiet, reserved).

• Love 1

This is sad news, although unsurprising. I was scrolling through the photos accompanying various posts about the split and saw a fairly recent one where Giada had the fake smile pasted on, Todd was sort of leaning in with a blank, drawn face and Jade looked pouty and petulant.

I hope that Todd goes out to celebrate with a huge beef cheeseburger with regular American cheese (not parmesan) and real bacon (no pancetta!) I wish him a bright and happy future with out a zest of lemon or fennel frond in sight.

• Love 9

Pickles, if you go to Blind Gossip, you can read where she is full of a lot more than herself. They said "Here are some of her habits that her corporate sponsors probably don’t know about: She has a huge sexual appetite that is only satisfied with men who are not her husband; she loves to party; she is down with the swirl; and she enjoys having more than one man at a time." How do you say "orgy" in Giada-Speak?

Wow! I had not heard about any of the rumors. I went read all the blind items holy spagateeee!

• Love 1

Wow.  They had been together for a long time - and seeing how she must have been quite the handful, I'm surprised it lasted this long.  I'm sad for their daughter but this may be best.  Giada has some re-examining to do.

• Love 2

Good grief. She sounds so skanky. Page Six is also reporting that she was out to dinner in Miami with Bobby Flay the night before she announced the split with her husband on FB. His wife was not with him. According to sources, Giada was pretty tipsy. She was stumbling on her way out of the restaurant and Bobby Flay was laughing at her. Sounds like she is on the road to imploding.

• Love 2

Seems there were big rumors in 2010 that she and John Mayer, bad-boy singer, had hooked up when in the same hotel. Both denied it then. She said she had been there but with her husband. However, apparently an eyewitness saw her and John "canoodling" and carrying on too.

I think her new restaurant thing in Las Vegas was the last straw. She was never going back to a cozy marriage with Todd and kid. Since she had been with Todd for so long (15 years before marriage, and at least 7+ since?) she may have hit a middle-age crisis and craved sexual variety before she hits 50. Las Vegas is a whole new crowd.

I bet Aunt Raffie knows all the details!

• Love 2

I actually hope Giada's playing midlife roulette because the alternative is that Giada (if molested) is likely acting out sexually. And it would be brutally sad that a possible compulsion on her part finally ended a near-quarter century relationship -- so fucking sad.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 2

OMG - the prices!  Way too spendy for me.  I didn't even see anything on her menu that I would have chosen - but then I'm a picky eater.  I'd hate to spend that kind of money and not like what I order!

It's the dinner with Bobby (not a rumor) that intrigues me.  Nice, late date at a Miami restaurant, and she got plowed on wine.  Fellow diners were laughing about her stumbling out the door and Bobby holding her up. 

This has been a busy time for her, not only due to the divorce, but also the opening of her restaurant in Vegas.  I saw an interview on TV of her standing in a nearly empty restaurant on opening night, and the interviewer asked her why it wasn't busier.  She looked heartbroken and on the verge of tears and made up some answer about trying to get the word out and not succeeding.  To hear other chefs talk, their first nights were pandemonium, so I'm sure Giada was disappointed. 

There was a lot of talk ahead of time about Giada working hard on the décor, so I expected something beautiful.  Instead, it was all white with a little bit of beige or gray, and the hanging lights were ugly -- really.  They reminded me of warehouse lights hanging down.  It wasn't inviting at all, and people walking by on the sidewalk could look in the windows to decide whether or not to go in.  I don't think the décor helped.  I also questioned her location, which wasn't the best high-traffic spot.  Once again, my heart went out to Jade, who I would think needed a mommy and a daddy at such a traumatic time in her life.  I don't know what's going on with Giada, but, IMHO, it doesn't look good.

• Love 2

*snip*

There was a lot of talk ahead of time about Giada working hard on the décor, so I expected something beautiful.  Instead, it was all white with a little bit of beige or gray, and the hanging lights were ugly -- really.  They reminded me of warehouse lights hanging down. 

*snip*

The decor is uninspired, for sure, but what got me was the shit she had inscribed around the lights.  Who wants to read about her eating habits while sitting down to a pricey dinner?  Who wants to read about her eating habits at all?  Who the hell does that?  Seriously, between her latest book and those inscriptions, I started to think Giada doesn't only come across as conceited - she actually is.

• Love 2

And the napkins, and the placemats....I get that it's her restaurant and like with any celebrity restaurant there's going to be some stuff like that. Which is fine -- she's trying to market herself, after all. But it just seems like an extension of her show, which has become a different version of, "This is my fabulous life, and here's some tiny food that I made to go along with it," every week.

• Love 1

I once attended a talk with a handwriting expert.  One of the things he told us was that if someone makes a large capial letter in their name, it means they're conceited.  Look at Giada!!!

Those red booths were not showing during the interview I saw.  I would have remembered them!  Straight out of Mel's Diner!  I'd forgotten about the inscriptions around the light "shades."  So ridiculous!

I honestly do believe that Giada has allowed fame and fortune to go straight to her head.  I think that she has vastly overrated her self of importance.  Todd doesn't know how lucky he is.  He should write a book!

• Love 1

Saw the new shows for this season and for me, something is just missing.  Maybe because I know that Todd won't be walking in with Jade and they sit and eat together.  Whatever it is, I'm not enjoying it so much and I find myself looking at Giada under the proverbial magnifying glass.

I remember way back when Jade was just born, Giada did the block party episode and at the end of the episode she was outside doing her Giada thing and Todd was holding Jade looking every bit the doting father while his fabulous wife flitted around looking every bit the diva.  It struck a chord with me then, I thought she treated beautiful little Jade as just another piece of 'set dressing/accessory.'  

After that episode, I liked Giada a little less and Todd a whole lot more.

• Love 2
Saw the new shows for this season and for me, something is just missing.

I think Giada is royally screwed, because the by-product (at least for me) with all the hyper-branding of food celebs is that once the white picket fence has graffiti scrawled all over it, the person (who has long disappeared behind that image) is left naked, and without any reason to cook (because it's not about cooking anymore, but the lifestyle/brand/ etc.)  So live by the brand, die by the brand (Paula comes to mind, obviously.) Who the hell is Giada, anymore? Divorced Hottie? (Ick) Pretending to ignore the elephant in the room? (Crazy.) I'd be up for a show based on her real life ("Today, I'm cooking for one. Like a lot of people, life handed me an unexpected challenge, and some days, the only thing I can do is eat well. And that's no small thing. So when you're having one of *those* days, cook these dishes to remind yourself that life goes on.") I would watch that -- but the Giada who could pull that off (from the first season of her first show) is long gone, and would likely try to hump the camera while "branding" her hotsexylemony now-single-self everywhere.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 3

Speaking of small portions, I read again the other day about Giada's "spit bucket," or whatever she calls it.  It seems that when she tastes the food she's made on the show, she doesn't like to swallow it (calories!!!), so she has a bucket behind the work station where she can spit it out.  That grosses me out every time I read it.  What's ONE BITE of something going to matter?  I think she has a phobia about eating too much.  What I want to know is: Who empties the spit bucket?

Is it just me, or does she seem like she's trying to loosen up a little bit in these Todd-free episodes? Last week she made a pork and pasta dish that looked like something from the Everyday Italian days. It looked yummy, and I may try it. On yesterday's show she did some sort of bacon happy dance....although my husband made it clear to me that vegetarian chili and mini pizzas with kale are not acceptable football food. LOL.

I've also noticed that this season's episodes seem "different" but I can't put my finger on it. First, is the refreshing absence of guests.

She actually used real bacon yesterday instead of pancetta. IIRC, the only times Giada would stoop to using bacon was if she was making something for Todd.

I was really hoping for an all-girl came-watching party and have Giada admonishing somebody for taking TWO of those baby potatoes.

• Love 4

I agree with the mod, frenchtoast, that Giada is a real person and that conjecture can be unfair at times.  I do think that Giada is a hard person to figure out.  She portrays herself as a sex symbol on her show, based on what she wears and the way she flirts.  Therefore, it's sometimes difficult to see Giada as the sweet, innocent mother figure that perhaps she would rather be seen as.  We have seen her countless times out and out flirting aggressively with Bobby Flay, so it's difficult when we read about it not to believe it.  Essentially, the gossip is based on the same things we've noticed.  Still, I respect the fact that she is a real person whose feelings we don't know.  I would ask why, if she wants to be perceived in a certain way, why she doesn't act that way.  Sooner or later, I expect more details will come out in the wash.  I tend to see the issue both ways, but it's all JMHO anyway.

• Love 1

I don't watch her show anymore (I only caught it occasionally when one of my daughters used to watch it), but when I saw her on that show with Bobby Flay recently it struck me that maybe she is someone who is having a hard time with getting older. Not that she's old - I'm older than that - but I just get a trying too hard vibe from her that makes me sad. And it's not that I think she should dress or act like a nun. Rathe,r it's that she doesn't seem all that comfortable with herself.

I've heard the rumors about her for years, but even if I hadn't, I still think I'd get a vibe that something is a bit 'off' with her at this point in her life. Well, maybe a divorce will help with that.

• Love 2

I've heard the rumors about her for years, but even if I hadn't, I still think I'd get a vibe that something is a bit 'off' with her at this point in her life. Well, maybe a divorce will help with that.

Are you talking about rumors re: her stability or rumors about infidelity??

I don't watch her show anymore (I only caught it occasionally when one of my daughters used to watch it), but when I saw her on that show with Bobby Flay recently it struck me that maybe she is someone who is having a hard time with getting older. Not that she's old - I'm older than that - but I just get a trying too hard vibe from her that makes me sad. And it's not that I think she should dress or act like a nun. Rathe,r it's that she doesn't seem all that comfortable with herself.

I go between feeling that way and feeling that she's just so incredibly full of herself.  Her last book really pissed me off and made me think she was full of herself.  The stuff about the restaurant reinforced that.  But now, seeing her marriage fall apart, I am starting to lean the other way.  Maybe she's so incredibly full of herself because she's not comfortable with herself.  If so, I wish her all the best and I hope she finds peace.

• Love 3

Maybe she's so incredibly full of herself because she's not comfortable with herself.  If so, I wish her all the best and I hope she finds peace.

Yes. And when it comes to TV personality, one of the most appealing qualities is when someone is comfortable in their own skin. It makes you relax along with them. If they aren't truly comfortable, then they better be a damn good actor/actress, or it just comes through the screen at you.

Are you talking about rumors re: her stability or rumors about infidelity??

Sorry, having trouble figuring out how to multi-quote. I meant the rumors of her infidelity.

Edited by BBDi

Kind of watched a repeat this morning. She was making a small burger on what she said were small ciabatta rolls, which is what they looked like. At the end of the show when she was serving them, the bread was described as focaccia - maybe I misheard? If I didn't mishear, bad editing.

• Love 1

I saw the same show, chessiegal.  I didn't really watch it because I was busy doing something else.  I can't seem to watch her anymore with much success.  I don't know whether it's her or me.  I have to watch someone I like, or the cooking doesn't seem to matter, and I can't honestly say that I like her anymore.  It's a little bit like Rachael Ray.  I used to watch her all the time until the news came out about her husband running around shortly after their marriage.  Then, she began touting their open marriage, and I didn't care for her as much. 

These TV cooks seem to lead interesting lives!

Loved the Valentine show because of Jadie!  She is absolutely adorable.  Such a pretty little girl and so well spoken.

Laughed out loud again with the red velvet boxed cake mix.  Giada has succumbed to the dumbing down of the masses........although she did 'gourmet' it up with the addition of vanilla.  i did like the final product with the heart shaped cookie cutter used to make the shapes.

Didn't see anything else just the scene where Jade made the card and the last scene with Julian and Louie, or whatever Giada calls her sister, lol.  The kids are sweet and i do think Giada's sister is so pretty.  Such a different look compared to Giada.  

Boxed cake mix ......what a hoot!

• Love 1

I only saw part of this episode while passing through the room, but that was enough.  The little girl was trying to dunk homemade baked doughnuts in chocolate frosting & getting her hands covered with it in the process -- so she licked each finger several times, then used those fingers to grab a new doughnut for dunking.  Her mother just giggled & the new doughnut went right onto the plate with all the others.  Ugh!

• Love 1

Actually, both Giada and Jade were licking their fingers while dipping the donuts in the chocolate glaze. Giada caught that because she quickly looked up and said, "Good thing these are only for family." (Or something to that extent.) Not perfect, but not quite as icky.

Jade saved the show. Otherwise, it was boxed cake mix and an explanation of how red velvet cake got its name, which we've heard repeated on FN umpteen times. With every recipe Giada made, she had to mention that vanilla adds a "gourmet sweetness you just can't get anywhere else." Also, whenever she veers off into an alternate universe of making something gluten-free, etc., she loses me. Not that I am knocking that, but with her, it gets to be too much (for me.)

The hilarious moment was after making the truffles, Giada handed Jade a white dish towel and asked Jade to wipe her hands. Jade replied, "I think I need to WASH my hands." Giada just laughed and told her they were just going to get dirty again when they decorated the chocolate donuts.

Added note: I liked that top Giada was wearing. I'd say it wasn't age appropriate and more suitable for Jade, but it was OK for a chef to wear at home while making whimsical chocolate treats.

Did anyone else notice that the recipe on the back of the boxed cake mix was for whoopie pies? My husband actually caught that one. 

The vanilla line is getting really tiring. I guess it's good that she only said the entire "gourmet sweetness" line only once, even though she used vanilla in everything. 

I understand that Jade is only a child and they were making stuff for family but the licking of the fingers was absolutely disgusting. If you're completely done making the food, go for it, but to lick your fingers and then go right on handling the rest of the food is gross. 

I also wondered if the dipping chocolate for the doughnuts was vegan too. She didn't mention it and I felt like it would make the whole vegan doughnuts thing pretty pointless. 

I feel like I keep complaining, but one last thing that irritates me about Giada is her ability to leave tons of food in the bowls and not use a spatula to get it all out. She probably left a half a cup of red velvet batter in the bowl when she stuck it in the sink! For a restaurant owner I'd expect her to practice the art of not wasting food. Maybe she could have given us a little aside about making a trifle with the leftover red velvet cake pieces...instead I'm sure she just tossed them in the trash. 

Edited by butterflyeludesme
  • Love 4

I understand that Jade is only a child and they were making stuff for family but the licking of the fingers was absolutely disgusting. If you're completely done making the food, go for it, but to lick your fingers and then go right on handling the rest of the food is gross. 

Children can't learn what's right & what's wrong if they're not taught.  I'm pretty sure that my mother told me not to lick my fingers before touching other people's food long before I reached Jade's age.  It's not cute, it's unsanitary (regardless of whether the other people are related to the child).

• Love 2

I feel like I keep complaining, but one last thing that irritates me about Giada is her ability to leave tons of food in the bowls and not use a spatula to get it all out. She probably left a half a cup of red velvet batter in the bowl when she stuck it in the sink! For a restaurant owner I'd expect her to practice the art of not wasting food. Maybe she could have given us a little aside about making a trifle with the leftover red velvet cake pieces...instead I'm sure she just tossed them in the trash. 

YES. This is a huge pet peeve of mine, and I've seen Giada do it so many times. But then, she'll make something else where she only needs egg yolks, and makes a point to say that she'll save the whites to make an omelette later.

To be fair, I've seen Ree and even Ina do this too. It just drives me nuts. Not only is it wasteful, but won't your recipe be out of whack if you leave a bunch of stuff behind in the bowl? One thing I always liked about Anne Burrell's show was that she never did that; in fact, she did the opposite by making a point to scrape every last bit of something out of the bowl, and saying, "We paid for all of this, so let's make sure we use it!"

And boxed cake mix. For shame, Giada.

• Love 3

Ding! Ding! Ding! She did it again today. Giada took a big sniff of cumin and said it smelled lemony.

I didn't understand what the big mystery was surrounding the Chasen's chii. A quick Google search brings up several listings. They all are basically the same, except only one mentions adding Kahlua at the end. Giada acted like the recipe was a big secret so she was duplicating it the best that she could. I was kind of surprised and disappointed that she didn't add fennel and pancetta.

Girlfriend acted like she created the eighth wonder of the world when she unveiled those orange sticky rolls. I have to admit that they did look very good.

• Love 2

Oh, grisgris, you keep me laughing with your quips!

To get serious for a moment, I think sometimes that the reason we're so down on Giada is that we've been frustrated by years of watching her flirting with the men on the FN, wearing clothes that reveal far too much, and many other things -- and not being able to do anything about it.  This thread, in a sense, is our chance to vent about all the things that have irritated us -- and yet the FN keeps her on.  I took the time to write to the FN several years ago, and that was a fruitless exercise.  Thank heaven for previously, which allows us to express ourselves!

Has anyone heard anything more about Giada's restaurant?  I keep wondering whether she'll make a go of it.  When we hear that Aunt Raffi has taken over the kitchen, we'll know that Giada is pushing the panic button.

That's what I'm not understanding...why is FN not only keeping her around, but (seemingly) increasing her presence. I can't believe her downloaded recipe count is very high, and I couldn't stand her on Next Food Nerwork Star. With all the rumors swirling - pun intended - around, I'm surprised they haven't dropped her as quickly as they dropped Paula Deen. Although Bobby Flay is also a regular on gossip sites, at least he has street cred within the industry.

Yeah, that singsong cadence she was doing all episode was working my last nerve. I also noticed that during the opening and first few minutes of the show, there was something wrong with the lighting in that it was darker than usual. It made Giada's teeth look like glow in the dark!

The last thing I'd want to have in the middle of the night is an ice cream soda made with beer. Those pretzel coated chicken fingers looked OK, but the lowest going rate I could find for fennel pollen was $11.95 for a tiny container. Think I'll pass.

• Love 1