Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E23: Wehe ʻana (Prelude)

• Start Topic

IMO, the little boy who plays Charlie is not a very good actor.  All he does is grin.  He does kind of resemble Danno though, maybe that's why he was chosen.  

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, Evagirl said:

IMO, the little boy who plays Charlie is not a very good actor.  All he does is grin.  He does kind of resemble Danno though, maybe that's why he was chosen.  

True,  but he isn't asked to do much more than be sweet and grin. He does that very well. Though at one point when he turned his head and there was a line, I thought maybe all of his lines would be read offscreen.

On 5/1/2017 at 1:11 PM, Raja said:

They already did an "Oprah" like visit and by the end she sang the praises of 5-0. I bet Mike Wallace would also see McGarret's light 

On 5/1/2017 at 2:06 PM, ganesh said:

That's why I think a 'local' program would be interesting because the people putting on the show actually live there too, and there's a lot of disruption when 5-0 is up to their usual tricks. 

I would LOVE if a local reporter dug up the story on how the San Francisco Treat infiltrated 5-0 and then botched the whole thing. 

I know that it has been ten years now, but dropping Mike Wallace's name used to be the news equivalent of Dirty Harry looking for you

Previously about Hawaii Five-0 I wrote: "Steve Steve Steve "Mr. In For A Penny, In For A Pound" McGarrett.  Boy, when that man finally commits, he commits."

In the Valentine's Day episode, S7E16, Steve appears to have decided to stop fighting his feelings and show the world (i.e. their purported "girlfriends") exactly how he feels about Danny. Although as early as S7E08 he dropped a rather broad hint in front of Gracie's whole terrorist traumatized class by acting like a relieved Daddy unashamedly hugging her and his Partner during the "family" reunions that ensued once the crisis was over.  (Where's THAT fanfic??!!)  By S7E18 he had actually proposed. When did he do that??!! you ask. Right before the explosion -- sometimes a cigar IS just a cigar and sometimes choosing a restaurant name is the same as getting down on one knee.   By S7E20, Steve was just about busting to tell someone which would explain his being so happily forthcoming in front of Harry Brown (much to Danny's consternation and unspoken wish to keep their relationship quiet). In S7E21 the happy couple visit the doctor and are told that Steve can resume his normal "physical activities" (which sounds a lot like what Ob-Gyn doctors tell their patients after fertility treatments, right?)

And now we come to "Wehe'Ana" (S7E23).  For those who may still think I am blowing smoke up your ass and think the boys are just "very good friends" (which they indeed are), we have Steve and Danny fixing up what essentially is the "nursery" for "their" new baby, Charlie.  I call this The Show's way of trying to depict as subtly as they can that Steve is committed in making his plans for a future with Danny.  And Danny, for his part, is just about as on-board with it as he is capable of showing.  The fact that OverProtective!Danny is shown letting Steve take care of his son and that Steve was planning to play with him again "in the morning" (i.e. like in the morning after a sleepover, perhaps?) speaks volumes about the depth of Danny and Steve's relationship.  (How's that go again? "He so loved the [world] that he gave his only begotten son...")  

The entire reason for this scene was to show everyone, who still d(w)on't believe it, is that at this point in their lives the last thing Steve or Danny is looking for is the right "woman".  I mean c'mon if these two guys really wanted to have a woman, they have the whole population of uncommitted females in Oahu to  make a play for.  They're good-looking, famous and rich(ish).    But of course in the real world (which this show does NOT seem to be set in), these same women might be a bit put off if they read a newsfeed or watched the evening news that would be full of information about the crazy lives these boys lead and would run the opposite way if they saw them coming. (These two are about as deadly as the Winchester Boys when it comes to high body counts--Danny killed 3 people and Steve smashed 2 with his truck while destroying some poor schmuck's family living room at the same time).  But again this episode depicts an ongoing trend with this show: that women are not to be trusted and that they are tough as nails.  In fact, we learn by the end of this episode that about 60% of the reason that the course of events played out as they did was Rachel's fault. (which in my opinion puts another nail in the coffin of any possibility of his going back to her).

Granted this show can be quite ridiculous in regard to action sequences and glaring continuity errors, but on this point, the bromance of Steve and Danny, it has been quite strong and steady.  The whole arc of the changing nature of their relationship (starting with S6E11) has been slow and subtle.  It had to be so as too many feathers would be ruffled, although this episode here was practically "dropping the anvil".  Steve's feelings for Danny in this episode are on full display and so intriguingly matter-of-fact:  Steve's "Alpha Male" posturing to an unfazed Danny in the nursery,  Steve racing over to the North Shore and heeding Danny's request that he come to him with all possible speed, and during their phone exchanges Steve exudes the quiet confidence that helped Danny remain calm so he could keep his companions safe throughout the whole ordeal.  Danny is also begrudgingly having to admit that Hawaii is now his home. He has a new family and a partner that will go to the limit and beyond just for him. What more could a man want.   I mean really - they  couldn't be more married.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, the1andonlybbb said:

Granted this show can be quite ridiculous in regard to action sequences and glaring continuity errors, but on this point, the bromance of Steve and Danny, it has been quite strong and steady.  The whole arc of the changing nature of their relationship (starting with S6E11) has been slow and subtle.  It had to be so as too many feathers would be ruffled, although this episode here was practically "dropping the anvil".  Steve's feelings for Danny in this episode are on full display and so intriguingly matter-of-fact:  Steve's "Alpha Male" posturing to an unfazed Danny in the nursery,  Steve racing over to the North Shore and heeding Danny's request that he come to him with all possible speed, and during their phone exchanges Steve exudes the quiet confidence that helped Danny remain calm so he could keep his companions safe throughout the whole ordeal.  Danny is also begrudgingly having to admit that Hawaii is now his home. He has a new family and a partner that will go to the limit and beyond just for him. What more could a man want.   I mean really - they  couldn't be more married.

I get that the show's schtick is to portray Steve and Danny as this bickering married couple.  But I think you are actually suggesting that Steve and Danny are closet homosexuals who the show is finally allowing to express their true feelings?  No offence to your opinion.... but I think that is a HUGE stretch.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I get that the show's schtick is to portray Steve and Danny as this bickering married couple.  But I think you are actually suggesting that Steve and Danny are closet homosexuals who the show is finally allowing to express their true feelings?  No offence to your opinion.... but I think that is a HUGE stretch.

Its been going on since the original Star Trek went out of production and the fans started with their Kirk/Spock slash fiction.

On 5/1/2017 at 11:25 AM, ganesh said:

I would have slammed the door in Danny's face an called the actual police. 

I know this will never happen, but I'd love to see an episode from the pov of a Sunday morning local news program doing a piece on 5-0 on something like, "Is 5-0 really keeping us safe?" And then have accounts of all the damage.

I binged most of the first season while home sick back in the day. I started a Hawaii 5-0 Body count, and I was sure that Steve McGarrett was more deadly than cancer on Oahu. They've toned down the kill count a bit over the years, but have really ramped up the property damage and public gunfights

• Love 1
2 hours ago, blackwing said:

But I think you are actually suggesting that Steve and Danny are closet homosexuals who the show is finally allowing to express their true feelings?

There's no way TPTBs would EVER make than canon. While there are some shows where the actors play into the subtext, I don't think the actors are into this at all. 

4 hours ago, ganesh said:

There's no way TPTBs would EVER make than canon. While there are some shows where the actors play into the subtext, I don't think the actors are into this at all. 

The actors in interviews before don't seem to have a problem with it.  I'm sure they wouldn't mind pushing the network envelope, but TPTB will NEVER go there.  I think that's why the actor's ham it up so much to the point of ridiculousness.

• Love 1
(edited)
16 hours ago, blackwing said:

No I am not saying that they are closet homosexuals.  I am saying that Steve is committing himself to Danny and Danny is slowly coming around to the idea that maybe he will make his partnership with Steve more permanent.  The same thing I said about their have their choice of women, they also have their choice of men too.  I mean think about it: Steve was in the Navy a long time, ya know what I'm saying? I'm sure he had the all the chances in the world to find suitable "bunk mates". Maybe he did, maybe he didn't.  But you don't see any of them hanging around do you?  And the only one I think we have met so far Danny was immediately jealous of and then Steve end up having to kill him.  Danny went to retrieve Steve from a hospital in Afghanistan and calmly stared down Army badasses like a pit bull  because in his own irascible way he cares deeply for Steve and he wanted his to be the first face that Steve saw when he woke up. Where were the girlfriends or sometime lovers of any sex then ? 

No What I am saying is that Steve and Danny are for each other for better or worse, in sickness and in health, and for the past 18 months forsaking all others.  This is a wonderful thing as most people don't get that lucky.  Whether the sex thing happens between them is anybody's guess.

Edited by the1andonlybbb
5 hours ago, ganesh said:

For my rebuttal, I give you this:  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ally said:

The actors in interviews before don't seem to have a problem with it.  I'm sure they wouldn't mind pushing the network envelope, but TPTB will NEVER go there.  I think that's why the actor's ham it up so much to the point of ridiculousness.

You have hit the nail on the head there.  It is the reason why a couple of weeks ago I called out the TPTB on the show as Chickensh*t.  I truly truly understand that ratings must be considered.  But I really think if they were very careful and intelligent about it, the writers could somehow make this happen without making Traditionalist America uncomfortable. Scott and Alex have both said that they live for alternative-thinking, funny scenes and storylines because anyone can put on a slam bang cop show but stuff like this elevates it from the mundane.