Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E19: Carry Their Legacy

• Start Topic

Two-week break until this episode airs.

When the squad's rig breaks down in the field, Casey reunites with his old friend and colleague Jason Kannell from Squad 6, whose crew gets assigned a temporary change of quarters until the rig issue is resolved. Dawson and Brett serve their time in retraining, both tackling the class in unique ways. Severide tries to remedy what is going on with Anna and finds support from unlikely sources. As Connie returns from her family engagement, the crew lays bets on how long her temporary replacement Marcy will last.

Yes of course Anna is dying. Because why should we let Severide be happy like, ever?

Would I be petty if I said that I wanted Brett to beat Dawson's score?

If Connie is back, why is Marcy still there? Isn;t she leaving now?

• Love 5

Was it just me, or was this episode really boring?  I'm sorry that firefighters died, but they weren't anyone whose name I knew or cared about.  Casey's friend seems shifty.

I like that Severide didn't give up on Anna and went to find her.  I guess Anna was never meant to be a long term character.  At least Severide won't move to Springfield and the writers could still explore him and Stella next season if they want.

I also wanted Brett to beat Dawson.  I was hoping that Dawson really did fail; what a horrible attitude.

• Love 7

At least Severide won't move to Springfield and the writers could still explore him and Stella next season if they want.

Anna had been living in Springfield but her father lived in Chicago? Had that been explained to us before?

I also wanted Brett to beat Dawson.  I was hoping that Dawson really did fail; what a horrible attitude.

Dawson really sucked. That classroom scene seem pointless. Just another chance for Dawson to prove to the world that she is better than everyone, even sincere people like Brett who study and worried about doing good. I did appreciate that they hired a non-conventionally attractive actress to play the instructor. Move over, Trudy.

• Love 4

So of course Anna is dying, because why else would she have just run away like that?  Whatever happened to two people caring for each other, having an adult conversation about the issue, and then trying to fight the disease as a team?  Instead, she stormed off in a huff and acted all pissed off at him at the dinner.  I get that she probably did it to "make things easier for him", but I hate when writers (and real-life people as well) use that excuse.  I think Severide clearly would have liked to know what was really going on, rather than having her leave him hanging and he has to constantly wonder what happened.   So just as abrupt as Anna dumped and left him, now he finds her and they are now back together and going to fight this thing together?  Terrible writing and story arc here.

I don't know what the point of introducing Casey's childhood friend was.  So the guy is going to take the fall even though it wasn't his fault?  Ludicrous.  Seems like they're setting him up to join the house.  Not sure if that means somebody else is leaving.

Not really sure what to make of the Connie and Marcy situation.  Frankly, I don't care.  Connie was gone, for some reason that escapes me and I don't care.  This Marcy girl is younger and cuter.  So of course she is a threat.

• Love 2

Why do I torture myself with this show?!  I'm over the Anna storyline.  Let her die next week so we can move onto something better.  Does Anna's dad live at Chief Boden's house?  It was the exact same layout and had very similar furniture.  

I think Connie's temp will stick around, at least for a few episodes.  Otis needs a girlfriend and that will be a lazy way for the show to do it.  

I hate Dawson!!  How did she get 100% when she didn't even know the answer to the easy question the instructor asked her?  I really wish Silvie would have gotten the perfect score.

I didn't understand why Casey's friend was being so shady.  Honestly, I don't even care.  We'll probably never see him again anyways.  

• Love 7
33 minutes ago, MaryHedwig said:

Anna had been living in Springfield but her father lived in Chicago? Had that been explained to us before?

Yep, I didn't understand that either.

25 minutes ago, greyhorse said:

I don't know what the point of introducing Casey's childhood friend was.  So the guy is going to take the fall even though it wasn't his fault?  Ludicrous.  Seems like they're setting him up to join the house.  Not sure if that means somebody else is leaving.

I hope nobody is leaving.  He's a Squad lieutenant, right?  A potential Severide replacement?  No!!

• Love 2

Chicago FD is going to be on the hook for some major OSHA violations now.  Sounds like a crossover plot with Chicago Justice

I think the Connie/Marcy storyline was just some filler because they couldn't think of any other ways to go with Severide, or She Who Must Not Be Angered, or any of the other characters. 

• Love 4

I threw up in my mouth a little  bit when Dawson's score turned out to be 100%. That was some utter bullshit right there. Why does this show insist on making her this infallible super hero who can do no wrong? Is there some big fanbase for Dawson on Twitter or something? I don't get it.

I'm sorry that firefighters died, but they weren't anyone whose name I knew or cared about.  Casey's friend seems shifty.

The whole thing felt like a cheat. The promos all week long said "this is the moment that changes everything!!!!" like a major character was going to die and the show would be shaken to its core. Uh? No. Some rando friend of Casey's we've never heard of before shows up and men on his squad we've never met before die. Like, I care? Because?

I liked the crazy guy in the bathtub but I remember Grey's Anatomy doing a story about some guy trapped in concrete and it turned out much worse for him.

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Is there some big fanbase for Dawson on Twitter or something? I don't get it.

Yes, there is.  And I don't understand it.  Derek Haas answers 7 questions from fans on Wednesdays and Sundays, and they are always all about "Dawsey."  And lately about "Brettonio."  Brett and Antonio were a thing for about an episode and a half - get over it already!!!  But otherwise, everyone just loves Gabby.  Ugh.  I don't necessarily hate her, but I definitely don't understand the overwhelming affection either.

• Love 3

I don't hate Gabby, I hate that she's either on the front center even if she has no reason to be, or she's portrayed as miss -angry yet- perfect. I think having her be so dismissive of these classes was fine and in character. And then of course she would get a perfect score even without being able to answer a question during class. And i don't think it's just me, but i think they dumbed brett down SO much ever since they became partners again. With jimmy and the curly haired girl (i forgot her name and im too lazy to google it) she was in charge and kicking ass and now all she does is getting orders from dawson and acting like a silly (and cute) puppy lost in her own world.

• Love 5

I've written about this in other threads, but TV writers are way too influenced by their Twitter followers. They don't seem to understand that Twitter fans represent only a fraction of their total audience, and that the types that follow on Twitter are more likely to be devotees and obsessives rather than the average viewer who might have some criticisms of the show. Nobody, in general, likes to seek out criticism of their work, but TV writers are in a bubble when it comes to Twitter followers because they heap praise on them and validate whatever they do. The writers think those are the "true fans" and the Twitter users who are interacting with the writers have a tendency to think they're actually "friends." It's an unhealthy co-dependency that has ruined many a TV show because the writers just have blinders on and don't pay attention to anyone else.

• Love 8
17 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I've written about this in other threads, but TV writers are way too influenced by their Twitter followers. They don't seem to understand that Twitter fans represent only a fraction of their total audience, and that the types that follow on Twitter are more likely to be devotees and obsessives rather than the average viewer who might have some criticisms of the show. Nobody, in general, likes to seek out criticism of their work, but TV writers are in a bubble when it comes to Twitter followers because they heap praise on them and validate whatever they do. The writers think those are the "true fans" and the Twitter users who are interacting with the writers have a tendency to think they're actually "friends." It's an unhealthy co-dependency that has ruined many a TV show because the writers just have blinders on and don't pay attention to anyone else.

Exactly, and especially the part I put in bold.  I have a twitter account, but I barely tweet, and if I do it's usually about something stupid and/or tennis related.  I have never tweeted at an actor on my favorite show, or a writer, director, producer, etc.  I'm sorry, but I don't understand people who do.  (And I realize this is mean, but c'mon - some people are certifiable!  I have a few specific examples in mind, but I'll be nice.)  

I am, however, a shameless Linstead fan for CPD, so those crazies can carry on. ;-)  

• Love 1

I didn't care for this episode too much but I admit, I don't get the part about Connie and the new girl. I thought once Connie is back, she leaves but maybe not? Didn't like the bet either. 

Glad Severide was able to find out why but I think it's nice that she finally allows him to be with her. 

I think the friend of Matt is taking heat for something that maybe someone else did. The guy who survive will probably tell the story and I bet we won't hear about it again or if we do, it won't be heard next year. 

2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I liked the crazy guy in the bathtub

Otis's bemused look was classic.  "Good work, Otis."  "Uh, okay?"

The hybrid car accident was also good.  Somebody buy these guys a tablet so they can look up information a little faster, please!

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

The hybrid car accident was also good.  Somebody buy these guys a tablet so they can look up information a little faster, please!

So is that common knowledge about hybrids and accidents?  Why couldn't they just break a window and get the guy out?  Seemed a little far-fetched to me.

Not sure what the point of Matt's friend is unless he is meant to be a recurring part of the cast.  Otherwise why care?  We don't even know who the guy is.  I wouldn't really care if he takes the blame and never works again as a firefighter.  Must be something else going on.

5 hours ago, greyhorse said:

So is that common knowledge about hybrids and accidents?  Why couldn't they just break a window and get the guy out?  Seemed a little far-fetched to me.

Not sure what the point of Matt's friend is unless he is meant to be a recurring part of the cast.  Otherwise why care?  We don't even know who the guy is.  I wouldn't really care if he takes the blame and never works again as a firefighter.  Must be something else going on.

I thought it was because it was electric. 

5 hours ago, greyhorse said:

The whole car was electrically charged, from the hybrid's battery.  That's why they had to cut the power.  I presume the guy inside was not electrocuted because the car wasn't grounded due to it's rubber tires.  But if the firefighters touched it, then it would be grounded through them and they'd all get shocked.  That was my presumption at least; whether it's accurate in real life or not, I have no idea.  (Not sure how Severide then used the saw to cut open the panel if my presumption is accurate, but... whatever. :-) )

EDIT TO ADD:  http://www.electrocuted.com/2016/11/28/electrocution-hazards-electric-cars/

Looks like my random theory might actually be correct.

Edited by FnkyChkn34
Added link to article
  • Love 4

Well, of course she got 100% and couldn't resist her signature smug look.  This season doubled down on the insufferable nature of this ridiculous character.  I despise her and will mute her forthwith.  Gabby, you are dead to me.  #freecasey

• Love 4

I think Anna's name changed to Anna Turner (in this episode) from Anna Daily (I believe Severide called her that to the hospital administrator in the bone marrow episode). Oops?  And is her dad in Chicago? If not, people were doing a ton of driving back and forth. Some sloppy writing  (though I still love the show).

I think the Squad 6 story could have been meaningful - the loss of nearly a whole squad with one member making it out in good shape - but they really should have introduced Squad 6 earlier in the season to help the viewers care more.   As it stands, all they did was show up and hang out at the firehouse when Truck was away on a call...so yeah, it wasn't as effective as it could have been (but still triggered thought of how easily a whole squad could be wiped out)

Severide got a little taste of his own medicine, with Anna pushing him away when she needed help...that is what he always does when he is in distress. Severide showed some signs of growth, some emotional intimacy....well, at least he didn't go out and get plastered, anyway, upon getting the bad news. Interested to see where he goes from here, another terrible loss for his character. But his idea of 'we can fight' (from the preview for next week, and also by the fact that they went from the comfort of her dad's house to the hospital)  is probably a mistake...im surprised they went to the hospital. With her outlook pretty grim, I wonder whether taking that camping trip may be a better use of time than getting admitted into a hospital 

Eta:I wonder why only 22 episodes this season instead of 23

Edited by Jess24
On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 4:43 PM, FnkyChkn34 said:

I have never tweeted at an actor on my favorite show, or a writer, director, producer, etc.  I'm sorry, but I don't understand people who do

Oh I did lol! But it wasn't about his character or even the show. The actor was doing a fan event with the NY Islanders and I tweeted that it was the wrong team (NY Rangers fan here). He wrote back, so it was really just a cute exchange about hockey. I certainly didn't get all 'oooh, he likes me. He really likes me!' about it or think we have some magical connection. And I do generally agree with your point about many on twitter being certifiable.

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

Oh I did lol! But it wasn't about his character or even the show. The actor was doing a fan event with the NY Islanders and I tweeted that it was the wrong team (NY Rangers fan here). He wrote back, so it was really just a cute exchange about hockey. I certainly didn't get all 'oooh, he likes me. He really likes me!' about it or think we have some magical connection. And I do generally agree with your point about many on twitter being certifiable.

But that makes sense - that's a cute exchange!  Not blaming the actor for something the character did, or something like that. ;-)

33 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

But that makes sense - that's a cute exchange!  Not blaming the actor for something the character did, or something like that. ;-)

Exactly! I remember years ago (pre-Twitter), I was at a soap fan event (my first and only lol!) It was mind boggling to watch these women talk about the characters like they were real people. And to call the actors by their characters' names! It was as if they truly believed the actor was the character. Frightening...

On 4/26/2017 at 0:36 PM, dreamcatcher said:

Yes of course Anna is dying. Because why should we let Severide be happy like, ever?

Would I be petty if I said that I wanted Brett to beat Dawson's score?

If Connie is back, why is Marcy still there? Isn;t she leaving now?

I wanted Dawson to fail miserably.  Gah,  I hate her.

• Love 2