Type keyword(s) to search

Farscape - General Discussion

millahnna
  • Start Topic

When I got to the S1 finale, after jumping in the middle, I was stunned at the sheer audacity of the show. And then the finale. I don't want to spoil for the new viewers, but "so, that's it. Like Kirk and Spock? First base!" *hits the button on the door* Me - whhhhhaaaaaat.

I believe at the time, when SciFi was an actual network that wanted to put out good programming, they bought B5 and were airing that M-T as well. 

I also liked the line in the transport pod, "Did Zhaan tell you how long ______?" "She was vague to the point where I assumed she had no clue."

I use that all the time. 

• Love 2

Just popping in to say that "Jeremiah Crichton" is one of the worst episodes of television, ever.  LOL.

Not quite finished with S1 yet and there are some rough spots but am liking everyone enough to stick with it.  I hope there will be more of the Pilot/Moya dynamic.  Moya hasn't birthed her baby yet but hopefully that will happen soon.  I'm warming up to Rygel, who was mainly annoying at first.   Claudia Black is doing really good work as Aeryn.

The order of the eps seems off - I just finshed "A Human Reaction" and next we go to "Through the Looking Glass" with zero comment about Crichton leaving to go back to Earth (even though that's not what happened); his friends being imprisoned, however briefly and Crichton and Aeryn having sex for the first time.   I don't mind that they're not angsting over it, I just think maybe the eps are out of order on Amazon.

• Love 2

I think it’s a popular opinion that Jeremiah Crichton is a terrible episode but I have one positive thing to say about it.  I like that John just loses it and tells everyone off.  He’s been ripped away from all he loves and is familiar and has adapted quickly.  It made sense to me that he would freak out and just need to blow off steam.  Everything after he leaves Moya is where the episode goes wrong.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Luckylyn said:

He’s been ripped away from all he loves and is familiar and has adapted quickly.  

Yes, he is actually dealing with things really well.  I don't have any issues with him going for a ride, as he calls it either.

I like that microbes give everyone the ability to understand each other, is it ever addressed that there is breathable air everywhere?  I don't have a problem whether it is or not, but maybe I missed it.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, raven said:

Just popping in to say that "Jeremiah Crichton" is one of the worst episodes of television, ever.  LOL.

Ben Browder shares your opinion. 

4 hours ago, Luckylyn said:

I like that John just loses it and tells everyone off.  He’s been ripped away from all he loves and is familiar and has adapted quickly.  

I tend to agree. It's just at the right time in the series for that to have happened. He's been beaten up basically since he got on the ship. Then Crais took it to him. Then the ship is *pregnant*. And not for nothing, no one thanked him for the quick calculations that sling shot them away from Crais so they could starburst. Their little prison break would have fizzled fast. 

I would also point out, that it's a good character building episode for Aeryn, who was basically all soldier soldier soldier, and was the one to crack the case that the planet was emitting the 'technology shield' or whatever it was. 

And you're all missing out on the best exchange of the series.

John: I'm going to get some air. 

Aeryn: There's plenty of air in here!

Zhaan [touching Aeryn's hand comfortingly, shakes her head]: He is Crighton. 

I mean, gold. 

• Love 5

Well things sure took a turn for the better to finish up S1.

I should have mentioned that I really enjoyed "Durka Returns" and watching Rygel basically lose his shit.  The show gets props for introducing Chiana as a certain type of character - which she is - but then proving she is more that that. 

Also "A Bug's Life" - it's the type of sci-fi story I like - and the initial team up of Chiana and Rygel was very entertaining.  Crichton's arrogant Peacekeeper persona was also fun.  Still with all the fun there's something dark (infected Crichton casually murdering that woman as well as actually slapping Zhaan - her shocked reaction was very affecting).  Not to mention I think Crichton enjoyed making the virus and its Peacekeeper host go boom at the end.  It makes sense that Crichton is starting to act out a bit after everything that he's gone through.

Still, Chiana wanting to know "who's the captain, I want to tell the ship to go somewhere" made me laugh.

Moving on - welcome Scorpius; what a perfect villain.    "Nerve/The Hidden Memory" is a great two-parter with crazy, desperate plans; Crichton's torture; Chiana being undercover, killing that creepy Peacekeeper and helping Moya give birth; Crichton casually saying "let's get a senior officer" and Aeryn leaving Crais in the chair  - there is so much going on and all of it good.  I did have issues with Gilina.   I guess being a Peacekeeper tech sucks and all but she's been mooning over Crichton all this time but then won't escape with them because he won't say he wants to be with her?  Ridiculous.  OK, she shows up at the end to aid in the escape but then dies.  The death scene was handled well and I'm glad she didn't stay on board so we could have a love triangle but the whole thing just really didn't work for me.

Wrapping up the season with Family Ties and everyone wanting to sacrifice themselves (except for Rygel) cements the relationships.  It's also obvious that Crichton is unsurprisingly damaged from his time in the chair.  I love Aeryn refusing to leave him and D'Argo at the end - she's come so far - I really like her relationship with Pilot as well and what she's learned of herself beyond being a soldier.

Anyway, I am in to the end. 

"so, that's it. Like Kirk and Spock? First base!"

Heh - I love Crichton's Earth references that no one else gets.  I do forget that this show is 20 years old so all the first time watchers back then would have been like I was with "Mr. Worf.  Fire!" and then you had to wait forever for the next episode.

• Love 1
On 2/6/2021 at 2:08 PM, raven said:

Yes, the cast and crew DVD commentary for the episode was in full agreement. They spend the entire forty minutes making fun of almost everything, although they take care to credit the guest cast with doing the best they could with some truly awful material.

On 2/6/2021 at 2:08 PM, raven said:

The order of the eps seems off - I just finshed "A Human Reaction" and next we go to "Through the Looking Glass" with zero comment about Crichton leaving to go back to Earth (even though that's not what happened); his friends being imprisoned, however briefly and Crichton and Aeryn having sex for the first time.   I don't mind that they're not angsting over it, I just think maybe the eps are out of order on Amazon.

I think the lack of discussion afterwards led some people to think that wasn't really Aeryn, but another copy created by the aliens. It does feel jarring, but I think on Aeryn's part it can be filed under compartmentalisation, and on John's side... well, you'd think he'd mention it but maybe he just understands Aeryn well enough to leave it alone for the time being.

On 2/7/2021 at 11:45 PM, raven said:

I should have mentioned that I really enjoyed "Durka Returns" and watching Rygel basically lose his shit.  The show gets props for introducing Chiana as a certain type of character - which she is - but then proving she is more that that. 

Also "A Bug's Life" - it's the type of sci-fi story I like - and the initial team up of Chiana and Rygel was very entertaining.  Crichton's arrogant Peacekeeper persona was also fun.  Still with all the fun there's something dark (infected Crichton casually murdering that woman as well as actually slapping Zhaan - her shocked reaction was very affecting).  Not to mention I think Crichton enjoyed making the virus and its Peacekeeper host go boom at the end.  It makes sense that Crichton is starting to act out a bit after everything that he's gone through.

Crichton's journey through the series, as he learns to accept, and even embrace, life in the Uncharted Territories is genuinely compelling. His wardrobe evolution reflects that too, as he leaves the IASA beige and white clothing behind, in favour of the dark leather that Peacekeepers love.

Still, Chiana wanting to know "who's the captain, I want to tell the ship to go somewhere" made me laugh.

Moving on - welcome Scorpius; what a perfect villain.    "Nerve/The Hidden Memory" is a great two-parter with crazy, desperate plans; Crichton's torture; Chiana being undercover, killing that creepy Peacekeeper and helping Moya give birth; Crichton casually saying "let's get a senior officer" and Aeryn leaving Crais in the chair  - there is so much going on and all of it good.  I did have issues with Gilina.   I guess being a Peacekeeper tech sucks and all but she's been mooning over Crichton all this time but then won't escape with them because he won't say he wants to be with her?  Ridiculous.  OK, she shows up at the end to aid in the escape but then dies.  The death scene was handled well and I'm glad she didn't stay on board so we could have a love triangle but the whole thing just really didn't work for me.

I've said before that the two parter was when I realised this show was for me, and that it had already grown considerably from the pilot episode. Crais never convinced as a big bad, but Scorpius immediately does. He has a presence that Crais never does, and a cold detachment to Crichton that makes him that much more menacing - his pursuit isn't about vengeance, but about science and discovery.

Wrapping up the season with Family Ties and everyone wanting to sacrifice themselves (except for Rygel) cements the relationships.  It's also obvious that Crichton is unsurprisingly damaged from his time in the chair.  I love Aeryn refusing to leave him and D'Argo at the end - she's come so far - I really like her relationship with Pilot as well and what she's learned of herself beyond being a soldier.

Anyway, I am in to the end. 

John's monologue over the montage of his new family eating together is so great. Ben Browder really shines as the star of this show, and you can feel the depth of emotion in his voice throughout, from talking fondly of his crewmates to expressing his grief over never seeing Earth again to his resolution that "has a job to do, and [is] not afraid."

• Love 3
1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

The Way We Weren't. 

I teared up in this one, plot holes and all, and it made me re-think my prior comments about Aeryn and Pilot.   I'll have more thoughts if you all are interested after I've watched more of S2.  I'm liking the direction so far.

2 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

He has a presence that Crais never does, and a cold detachment to Crichton that makes him that much more menacing - his pursuit isn't about vengeance, but about science and discovery.

Scorpius's almost casual suggestion to Crais that he go into the chair was chilling for sure.  Crais comes off as either petulant or borderline unhinged in S1 but there is more going on in S2 and I'm looking forward to seeing what else happens with Talyn.

Impressive that Lani Tupu voices Pilot too.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Anduin said:

So I found myself watching a Stellaris Let's Play, and the player was showing off traits for plant species. While they consume food, they also consume energy, a stand-in for sunlight. It got me thinking, did we ever see Zhaan eat food? And furthermore, why was she blue instead of green?

When they were on the Budong, I think it was, and everyone was starving, she wanted meat.  I remember Crichton questioning it because she was a plant, but I don't remember her reasoning.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Johann said:

When they were on the Budong, I think it was, and everyone was starving, she wanted meat.  I remember Crichton questioning it because she was a plant, but I don't remember her reasoning.

6 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

She was more a mushroom variety of plant. Remember she had the spores? 

Interesting.  Been a long time since I watched Farscape. I will watch it again at some point. But I've forgotten half of what went on. Anyway, thanks!

• Love 1

Let's see here, Zhaan was a plant but her species of plant was Carnivorous. She was not an Herbivore (although I don't recall if she considered it Cannibalism). I believe she needed meat for sustenance, much like that Biologist found stranded by their Rescue shuttle and who ate the other scientists (although he needed the bones). (The scientist was played by Ben Browder's wife). Zhaan grew spores as her body shut down from lack of meat.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

Let's see here, Zhaan was a plant but her species of plant was Carnivorous. She was not an Herbivore (although I don't recall if she considered it Cannibalism). I believe she needed meat for sustenance, much like that Biologist found stranded by their Rescue shuttle and who ate the other scientists (although he needed the bones). (The scientist was played by Ben Browder's wife). Zhaan grew spores as her body shut down from lack of meat.

Thanks! Man, for an alleged SF show, science really wasn't Farscape's strong point. With only a couple of nudges, it could have fit nicely alongside Spelljammer as a pure fantasy space opera. Yes, I get that there really are carnivorous plants, and bones do have certain medicinal or nutritious components. But not to the extent the show made out.

My taste in space opera has drifted in recent years. I was raised on Trek and SW, but I've come prefer a lot harder. Something like BSG or the Expanse, though lighter in tone. I suppose B5 might be the closest to my ideal space opera.

On 9/19/2021 at 7:06 AM, Anduin said:

Thanks! Man, for an alleged SF show, science really wasn't Farscape's strong point. With only a couple of nudges, it could have fit nicely alongside Spelljammer as a pure fantasy space opera. Yes, I get that there really are carnivorous plants, and bones do have certain medicinal or nutritious components. But not to the extent the show made out.

My taste in space opera has drifted in recent years. I was raised on Trek and SW, but I've come prefer a lot harder. Something like BSG or the Expanse, though lighter in tone. I suppose B5 might be the closest to my ideal space opera.

Those are some of my favorite Sci-Fi shows and I would throw in the Stargate SG-1 franchise and the David Tennant & Christopher Eccleston "Doctor Who" experiment.  I Haven't watched any of the latest incarnations of the Doctor, so I have no opinion of Jodie Whittaker as the 13th doctor.  Current SciFi really doesn't adhere too much to actual science. In fact, I put most sci-fi as more "Fantasy".  Even the older shows and movies used vague explanations regarding how an event was possible; officially called "TechnoBabble".

• Love 1
On 9/18/2021 at 11:13 AM, Johann said:

It got me thinking, did we ever see Zhaan eat food? And furthermore, why was she blue instead of green?

There was a particular episode (among the many episodes showing the crew & Moya surviving death) and Chianna, (To show her worth and appreciation), cooked everyone's favorite delicacy.  I don't remember what Zhaan ate. Plant or Meat.

On 9/19/2021 at 3:06 PM, Anduin said:

Farscape's philosophy concerning science was summed up by Rygel, in the season four episode I Shrink, Therefore I Am, where Sikozu was trying to figure out how they had been shrunk by the villains - "Who cares? We're here, they did it, and that's that."

I found it refreshing that the characters were as ignorant about a lot of things as anyone might be, rather than the genius polymaths that everyone in Star Trek always seemed to be. Especially considering John, Sikozu and Jool were the only characters on Moya with any kind of scientific background. But it allowed the show to take far wilder flights of fancy that harder scifi shows would.

On 9/18/2021 at 6:22 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

She was more a mushroom variety of plant. Remember she had the spores? 

But she also had orgasms from sunlight, so she must have had some kind of... alien chlorophyll?... as well. Again, Farscape was never big on explaining the science, but it just served to make everything seem extra alien and weird.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Danny Franks said:

Farscape's philosophy concerning science was summed up by Rygel, in the season four episode I Shrink, Therefore I Am, where Sikozu was trying to figure out how they had been shrunk by the villains - "Who cares? We're here, they did it, and that's that."

I was going to mention that ep, but I couldn't remember what he said.  I thought it was something along the lines of "I long ago realized that there were things I couldn't explain..."  Same concept.

I miss this show so much.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

Those are some of my favorite Sci-Fi shows and I would throw in the Stargate SG-1 franchise and the David Tennant & Christopher Eccleston "Doctor Who" experiment.  I Haven't watched any of the latest incarnations of the Doctor, so I have no opinion of Jodie Whittaker as the 13th doctor.  Current SciFi really doesn't adhere too much to actual science. In fact, I put most sci-fi as more "Fantasy".  Even the older shows and movies used vague explanations regarding how an event was possible; officially called "TechnoBabble".

3 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

1 hour ago, Danny Franks said:

I found it refreshing that the characters were as ignorant about a lot of things as anyone might be, rather than the genius polymaths that everyone in Star Trek always seemed to be. Especially considering John, Sikozu and Jool were the only characters on Moya with any kind of scientific background. But it allowed the show to take far wilder flights of fancy that harder scifi shows would.

I get that, I really do. It's just an idle comment. I like more science in my SF, though I appreciate the drama and excitement of stuff like Farscape or Star Trek.

Author Catherynne M. Valente has written two parts of a discussion on Farscape! Why she loved it, how it worked, how subversive it was at the time, all that. There's a third part coming sometime. Worth a read. Also contains some disturbingly plausible quotes from Syfy executives. :)

I strongly agree that everyone on the show should have been a bigger star. It's strange that true stardom never quite struck for them. Certainly Claudia and Ben. But Hollywood is a strange place. The best don't always rise to the top, the worst don't always sink to the bottom.

However, I disagree with her here. "I will say that Claudia Black is heart-attack-inducingly beautiful, not because that matters so much, but because in the late 90s, her kind of beauty was more or less relegated to villains only. She is severe, long black hair, deep voice, very, very little obvious makeup and overly sexualized clothing, to the point that it’s almost funny how hard any current service would shut down a female lead having such a neutral non “sexy” look. Aeryn would have a permanent catsuit and god’s own winged eyeliner in a reboot or my name is Dominar Rygel the Seventeeth."

Surely, the closest modern analogues are Gamora in the MCU and Bobbie Draper in the Expanse. Neither are as sexualised to that extent. I get that she's thinking of Seven of Nine in Voyager, but that was years ago. These days, most female SF/ leads are dressed better for the occasion.

"There was so much cheeseball nonsense at the time, and here comes Black Widow in space."

No, I think Black Widow reminds me more of Chiana than Aeryn.

But outside those disagreements, it's really worth a read. You can do both parts in maybe ten minutes each. Go to it!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Anduin said:

However, I disagree with her here. "I will say that Claudia Black is heart-attack-inducingly beautiful, not because that matters so much, but because in the late 90s, her kind of beauty was more or less relegated to villains only. She is severe, long black hair, deep voice, very, very little obvious makeup and overly sexualized clothing, to the point that it’s almost funny how hard any current service would shut down a female lead having such a neutral non “sexy” look. Aeryn would have a permanent catsuit and god’s own winged eyeliner in a reboot or my name is Dominar Rygel the Seventeeth."

Surely, the closest modern analogues are Gamora in the MCU and Bobbie Draper in the Expanse. Neither are as sexualised to that extent. I get that she's thinking of Seven of Nine in Voyager, but that was years ago. These days, most female SF/ leads are dressed better for the occasion.

"There was so much cheeseball nonsense at the time, and here comes Black Widow in space."

No, I think Black Widow reminds me more of Chiana than Aeryn.

I always think that the point the show was making is that being tough, competent and no-nonsense are sexy qualities. And it certainly worked for me, because Aeryn was definitely sexy. But then, so was Chiana - who, of course, was also tough and competent but she was also overtly sexual and tactile and unapologetic about it.

I can see how Seven-of-Nine looks very much like eye-candy compared to Aeryn, but they shared a lot of the qualities that Valente mentions here - Seven was also severe with a deep voice and she was also all-business and competent and wasn't given lame romantic storylines until the very end of the show.

But I do agree with her premise that Farscape has aged incredibly well, in a lot of ways - storylines, effects, characters but also character dynamics and content. Sure, there are some problematic bits here and there, but on the whole I think the show fares much better than other 90s shows.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

I can see how Seven-of-Nine looks very much like eye-candy compared to Aeryn, but they shared a lot of the qualities that Valente mentions here - Seven was also severe with a deep voice and she was also all-business and competent and wasn't given lame romantic storylines until the very end of the show.

Not watching much Voyager, I gather she was written pretty well. But I meant more of how she was styled than anything else. Or look at Lexa Doig on Andromeda. Anyway, these days the women can be dressed in a less cheesecake style now than in the past.

Me and John both said 'oh boy' when Aeryn took off her helmet in the jail cell for the first time. 

If you check out some of Claudia Black's twitter, she took time off to have and raise her child. She has had reasonably steady work with credits even up to now. Her career kind of reminds me of Claudia Christian, who also has a distinctive voice. It's no surprise both have video game and animation credits. CC was great in Blood of Zeus voicing Hera. 

Voice over work is absolutely credible work, and I'd say both are enjoying successful careers.

As for the show, I really still think it could have been and maybe still be the next Star Trek in terms of a short lived show that spawned a franchise. I guess in a way it did in terms of Guardians of the Galaxy. But the Farscape universe itself is so vast and alien. And dense. 

Can you imagine a movie where their son leads some kind of leviathan rebellion against the Peacekeepers or something? You're never going to capture the magic of John/Aeryn, but you don't have to with all the different aliens and kind of imperialness of the Peacekeepers. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

As for the show, I really still think it could have been and maybe still be the next Star Trek in terms of a short lived show that spawned a franchise. I guess in a way it did in terms of Guardians of the Galaxy. But the Farscape universe itself is so vast and alien. And dense. 

Can you imagine a movie where their son leads some kind of leviathan rebellion against the Peacekeepers or something? You're never going to capture the magic of John/Aeryn, but you don't have to with all the different aliens and kind of imperialness of the Peacekeepers. 

I think the problem it encountered was that, unlike Star Trek, Farscape was built on the charm of the cast and characters, as much as it was built on the weird, crazy, baffling alien universe.

I just don't know how open people would have been to a Farscape show or movie without John, Aeryn, D'Argo and Chiana.

I still think the ambitions of the show are unmatched by almost anything since. The inventiveness of the Henson Company, the aesthetics and set design and the alien cultures, there's no one else doing all of that and making it work. Okay, it didn't always work, but most of the time it did and the writers and actors were never scared of just pushing the boundaries and seeing what happened.

• Love 2

The link took me to part 2, but now it is part 1. 

I think in Part 1, she should also note that after 2000, SciFi had executives in and out of there, using the place as a stepping stone. That was also a mess and why I haven't checked out the network since W13 and Eureka.

It's also kind of ironic or tragic that syndication was such a huge thing back then, and now streaming has made it extinct. Farscape could have been on Netflix for 10 years. 

Farscape will always be my #1, but the pairing with SG1 was good because of the contrast and similarities. I mean, you can argue that both shows are about teamwork.

• Love 2

Mary Mara (I think I got that right) who played Lyneea in I,ET, drowned this week.  Rest in peace.  My favorite line of hers was upon realizing that she was actually seeing an alien... "In my kitchen!"

• Sad 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Johann said:

Mary Mara (I think I got that right) who played Lyneea in I,ET, drowned this week.  Rest in peace.  My favorite line of hers was upon realizing that she was actually seeing an alien... "In my kitchen!"

R.I.P.  if I recall, while rifling through my mental “Farscape” file, didn’t the actress play different characters in a few episodes? I may be confusing the actress with Ben Browser’s wife who played the Murderous Herbivore on one episode and a trickster in that bizarre drugged out episode when Crichton and D’Argo got rolled on the strip.

46 minutes ago, Jacks-Son said:

R.I.P.  if I recall, while rifling through my mental “Farscape” file, didn’t the actress play different characters in a few episodes? I may be confusing the actress with Ben Browser’s wife who played the Murderous Herbivore on one episode and a trickster in that bizarre drugged out episode when Crichton and D’Argo got rolled on the strip.

According to IMDB, Mara only played Lyneea. Those others were Francesca Buller.

• Like 1

When I saw the article on Mary Mara's death, I immediately thought of her character in Farscape. Such a shame. And yes, she was only in the one episode of Farscape. Francesca played a different character in every season of the show and the mini-series.

• Love 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

Yeah, Browder's wife played multiple characters.  I wouldn't wouldn't call the bone-eater murderous unless you consider every animal to be murderous.  She ate to survive.  Some animals only eat plants, but Zhaan might consider them to be murderous, too.  :-)

Like you said, she also played in the druggy episode.  She also played the servant that sold out Crichton in the Princess trilogy and in season 4 and Peacekeeper Wars, she played the Scarren leader. (Ackna?). "She scares me."   " It's the hat. "

Contrary to popular belief, Browder's kids were never in Farscape.  He has said that the kids in the Princess trilogy were not his.  However, they were in an episode of Stargate when he was in that series.  They were briefly seen as village kids running around.

Edited by Johann
More family info
  • Useful 1
11 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

a trickster in that bizarre drugged out episode when Crichton and D’Argo got rolled on the strip.

Guy hands Crichton a plate with a large black object on it.
*beat* Oh, it's phone. Hello?

9 hours ago, Johann said:

Yeah, Browder's wife played multiple characters.  I wouldn't wouldn't call the bone-eater murderous unless you consider every animal to be murderous.  She ate to survive.  Some animals only eat plants, but Zhaan might consider them to be murderous, too.  :-)   

Wasn't she a scientist who killed and ate her team members? IMO, I think a sentient species of superior intellect who does THAT, can be considered an out-of-control Murderer.

17 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

Wasn't she a scientist who killed and ate her team members? IMO, I think a sentient species of superior intellect who does THAT, can be considered an out-of-control Murderer.

No, she and a few of her species were brought to the planet by scientists for the sole purpose of eating bugs and whatnot that could destroy the plants they were growing and studying.  Once all the bugs were gone, her species was abandoned with no food - they ate bones, not plants.  Knowing they were going to die of hunger, some of her species sacrificed themselves for the others to eat and hopefully last long enough to be rescued.  By the time our crew got there, there was only one survivor from their species.  It was a Donner Party survival situation.  Yes, she would have eaten Br'Nee, a different species, given the chance - and later did, after he was killed by the laser, and she did eat one of Scorpius' security guards, but, YMMV on whether killing for food is murder.  It does seem more like murder when the victim is more human than,  say, a chicken, and I wouldn't want someone I cared about to be killed for food, but the argument could be made that it isn't exactly murder.

1 hour ago, Johann said:

No, she and a few of her species were brought to the planet by scientists for the sole purpose of eating bugs and whatnot that could destroy the plants they were growing and studying.  Once all the bugs were gone, her species was abandoned with no food - they ate bones, not plants.  Knowing they were going to die of hunger, some of her species sacrificed themselves for the others to eat and hopefully last long enough to be rescued.  By the time our crew got there, there was only one survivor from their species.  It was a Donner Party survival situation.  Yes, she would have eaten Br'Nee, a different species, given the chance - and later did, after he was killed by the laser, and she did eat one of Scorpius' security guards, but, YMMV on whether killing for food is murder.  It does seem more like murder when the victim is more human than,  say, a chicken, and I wouldn't want someone I cared about to be killed for food, but the argument could be made that it isn't exactly murder.

Not the way I thought it had gone, I thought she had shrunk Zhaan down because she was a rare species of plant and a "Collectible".  Her desperation led her to become a hungry scientist willing to trap and kill other species for food. Not exactly a Donner Party Picnic.  

https://explorethearchive.com/donner-party-facts

"At least four people were deliberately killed during the trip."

One: Tensions were running high well before the Donner Party was trapped. Around the time they rejoined the California Trail near modern-day Elko, Nevada, a fight broke out between two teamsters over tangled wagons. When James F. Reed intervened, he was whipped for his efforts. He pulled a knife in self-defense, killing his attacker, John Snyder.

4 minutes ago, Jacks-Son said:

Not the way I thought it had gone, I thought she had shrunk Zhaan down because she was a rare species of plant and a "Collectible".  Her desperation led her to become a hungry scientist willing to trap and kill other species for food. Not exactly a Donner Party Picnic.  

https://explorethearchive.com/donner-party-facts

"At least four people were deliberately killed during the trip."

One: Tensions were running high well before the Donner Party was trapped. Around the time they rejoined the California Trail near modern-day Elko, Nevada, a fight broke out between two teamsters over tangled wagons. When James F. Reed intervened, he was whipped for his efforts. He pulled a knife in self-defense, killing his attacker, John Snyder.

Br'Nee was the scientist that shrank Zhaan.  He was also one of scientists that brought M'Lee (just remembered her name!) and her kind to the planet.

Thanks for the Donner Party info.  The killing you quoted seems extraneous to the "picnic" part of the trip and more like usual Wild West stuff.  Gruesome picnic.  :-)

Wow, tough crowd, "Donner Party Picnic" was my poor attempt at being facetious.  Sorry, if I offended.  Noted Re: Murderous Plants.  I seem to remember a certain incident in the episode "DNA: Mad Scientist", where a certain Delvian Priestess chopped off one of Pilot's arms for star charts.  Those plants can be aggressive. Granted, aggressive behavior is not the same as murder.

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, Jacks-Son said:

Wow, tough crowd, "Donner Party Picnic" was my poor attempt at being facetious.  Sorry, if I offended.  Noted Re: Murderous Plants.  I seem to remember a certain incident in the episode "DNA: Mad Scientist", where a certain Delvian Priestess chopped off one of Pilot's arms for star charts.  Those plants can be aggressive. Granted, aggressive behavior is not the same as murder.

Not offended.  I repeated it because I thought it was funny.  Or clever.