Type keyword(s) to search

Farscape - General Discussion

millahnna
  • Start Topic

Ben Browder is in Guardians of the Galaxy volume 2. It isn't a major role, sadly. I was thinking that one character looked like him, and turns out that it was! The whole movie felt a little Farscape-ish, really. Perhaps because it's so colourful and throws out all manner of weirdness, even more than Star Wars.

There's even a bit of similarity in the characters. John Crichton and Peter Quill, the Earthman out in the big bad universe. Aeryn and Gamora, the tough warrior woman. D'argo and Drax, the big warrior guy with a dead family. Rygel and Rocket, small, loudmouth, steals things. Zhann and Groot, both plants with a violent streak. Yeah, they're archetypes, but still.

And hey, I just found confirmation! Good to know.

• Love 4

I haven't seen it yet but that's awesome that Ben Browder is in it. I had wished that he would get the role of Peter's father but I figured he wasn't a big enough name for that. When I saw the first one I thought it very Farscape like(but honestly nowhere near as weird) so am glad to see that confirmed. 

• Love 2

Spacedock is getting around to Farscape! Starting with Leviathans, because you have to lead with the most known and featured class of ship. But here's something I wasn't clear on. Is the hetch drive a normal-space drive or FTL? I always saw it as normal space, like impulse engines in Trek. But I think that video suggests that it's some kind of FTL. I know that starburst is FTL, a jump drive like BSG. Other people have been over Farscape a lot more than I have, so maybe you know something I've missed.

• Love 1

The wiki can't make up its mind. The starburst page suggests that hetch is normal space, but hetch is also mentioned on the FTL page. I shouldn't be so surprised, Farscape is known for being weird and confusing.

But I do love your idea of baby FTL. It fits somewhere in the middle. Good stuff.

11 minutes ago, blueray said:

I always thought that starburst was the equivalent of going to warp.

Transition only seems to take a couple of seconds, which is why it looks more like a BSG jump than ongoing warp or hyperspace to me.

Just saw Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 this weekend and forgot that you guys mentioned that Ben Browder was in it and let out a squeal of pure happiness as I recognized him immediately using his Peacekeeper voice.  Glad he's still getting work.

• Love 3
On 7/14/2017 at 3:23 PM, Jacks-Son said:

For those of you who are interested in reading about "Farscape", here's a critique of each episode by season at The A.V. Club:

http://www.avclub.com/tv/farscape/

Unfortunately, the author of the critiques only reviews seasons 1-3.

They actually just added reviews for season 4 and the Peacekeeper wars.  Unfortunately, as he is leaving the site, he only had time to do a one season all episodes dump but he does go into a bit of detail about each episode instead of writing it as a season arc type of review.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, millahnna said:

They actually just added reviews for season 4 and the Peacekeeper wars.  Unfortunately, as he is leaving the site, he only had time to do a one season all episodes dump but he does go into a bit of detail about each episode instead of writing it as a season arc type of review.

I'm missing my DVD's. They're back in California while I'm stuck in New York for the interim. I used to do a Farscape mainline every few months. The only Farscape video I have is in my Amazon library and that's the "Peacekeeper Wars".  I'm afraid if I start reading the recaps of episodes or watch PK Wars my resolve will crumble and I'll buy another set. Much angst.  :-(  I've watched every single episode multiple times (except "The Choice", that's just too painful") and watched the dreaded "To Be Continued" episode live. I remember lots of screaming at my little 13" TV.

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, Jacks-Son said:

I'm missing my DVD's. They're back in California while I'm stuck in New York for the interim. I used to do a Farscape mainline every few months. The only Farscape video I have is in my Amazon library and that's the "Peacekeeper Wars".  I'm afraid if I start reading the recaps of episodes or watch PK Wars my resolve will crumble and I'll buy another set. Much angst.  :-(  I've watched every single episode multiple times (except "The Choice", that's just too painful") and watched the dreaded "To Be Continued" episode live. I remember lots of screaming at my little 13" TV.

I think the whole run is on Youtube. Go check it out if you want to rewatch.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Joe said:

Oh. My. God.  What sort of Deviltry is this?  My beloved Farscape on YouTube????  Thank you Sir, you've condemned me to a fortnight of eternal bliss.  ;-D

• Love 2

I didn't realize Browder had the bit part in Guardians and was staring super hard at the High Priestess chick trying to figure out what I knew HER from (nothing, as it turns out) when he spoke and I was like, "Hey I know that fake Peacekeeper accent anywhere".  Ditto Joe on thinking the whole flick had a Scape feel to it, though, particularly comparing Pratt's Guardian's character to Crichton.  There's a bit with a destroyed walkman that really reinforced the vibe for me.  And then it dawned on me that Quill never got to see Farscape because he's been away from earth since the early 90s at the very latest.  Too bad; I think he'd dig the show.

• Love 1
On 7/21/2017 at 5:25 AM, Joe said:

I watched S1 & 2 on YouTube but the format for S3 & 4 wasn't fun. I ended up buying those seasons on Google Play for like $20 each. I can watch them anywhere, DVD's or not.

(edited)
On 8/9/2014 at 5:55 PM, Danny Franks said:

So I just randomly caught an episode today, and it happened to be Kansas.   .....

I'll say this, Farscape was a show that was never afraid to push the boat out into weird waters.

I haven't reached that point yet in my first-time watch of the series - up to 3.2 currently - but is the episode you mention weirder than Won't Get Fooled Again (2.15)?

'Harvey' and Pilot in a band, Crais as a loud-mouthed but ineffective cop,not!Zhaan as a psychiatrist, not!D'argo being whatever it exactly was, not!Aeryn & not!Chiana being into each other, all the ladies in dominatrix outfits, Rygel in bondage gear, and Crichton's mom with the "Oedipus Complex" bit.   Man, that episode pulled out all the stops.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 1
40 minutes ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

I haven't reached that point yet in my first-time watch of the series - up to 3.2 currently - but is the episode you mention weirder than Won't Get Fooled Again (2.15)?

'Harvey' and Pilot in a band, Crais as a loud-mouthed but ineffective cop,not!Zhaan as a psychiatrist, not!D'argo being whatever it exactly was, not!Aeryn & not!Chiana being into each other, all the ladies in dominatrix outfits, Rygel in bondage gear, and Crichton's mom with the "Oedipus Complex" bit.   Man, that episode pulled out all the stops.

I don't think "Kansas" qualifies as weirder than "Won't Get Fooled Again" (though I adore "Kansas" and consider it one of the best overall episodes of the series), but season four's "John Quixote" probably surpasses "Won't Get Fooled Again" in hilarious bizareness... be prepared!

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Yes. 

38 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I don't think "Kansas" qualifies as weirder than "Won't Get Fooled Again" (though I adore "Kansas" and consider it one of the best overall episodes of the series), but season four's "John Quixote" probably surpasses "Won't Get Fooled Again" in hilarious bizareness... be prepared!

Whenever I start a rewatch, I ALWAYS begin with "Unrealized Realities" which begins the Terran Trilogy: "Unrealized Realities", "Kansas", & "Terra Firma". Those 3 are my go to John/Aeryn romance fix. Again, I rewatch everything except, "The Choice", too heart-breaking.

WatchrTina, If you haven't given up on SciFi yet, I would recommend "Babylon 5". B5 is one of the few shows that I would compare with "Farscape". You've got space battles, kick-ass action, a John/Aeryn rival to mythic love story in John/Delenn, & outstanding acting by the supporting cast, Plus, the whole series was written as one five year long story by JMS. (J. Michael Straczynski)

• Love 2

I recently discovered the Australian series "Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries" and was delight to recognize Tammy Macintosh by her voice. Even in the midst of all the other aussie accents I thought, "Is that Jool?!?" The series is set in the 20's and she plays a doctor. She is in about half the episodes.

Bonus: several episodes were directed by Tony Tilse.

On 2018-06-27 at 11:22 PM, Jacks-Son said:

Whenever I start a rewatch, I ALWAYS begin with "Unrealized Realities" which begins the Terran Trilogy: "Unrealized Realities", "Kansas", & "Terra Firma". Those 3 are my go to John/Aeryn romance fix. Again, I rewatch everything except, "The Choice", too heart-breaking.

WatchrTina, If you haven't given up on SciFi yet, I would recommend "Babylon 5". B5 is one of the few shows that I would compare with "Farscape". You've got space battles, kick-ass action, a John/Aeryn rival to mythic love story in John/Delenn, & outstanding acting by the supporting cast, Plus, the whole series was written as one five year long story by JMS. (J. Michael Straczynski)

Interesting. I always thought of Babylon 5 as pure cheese, and when friends told me they didn't like the genre at all so wouldn't try my Farscape, I would tell them, "no, it's not like a B movie, not a crappy show like Babylon 5." I love so many sci-fi and fantasy shows, but Babylon 5 strikes me as a cheap show that they made to capitalize on the popularity of the genre at that time. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/27/2018 at 10:22 PM, Jacks-Son said:

WatchrTina, If you haven't given up on SciFi yet, I would recommend "Babylon 5". B5 is one of the few shows that I would compare with "Farscape".

Thanks for the tip Jacks-Son but I'm way ahead of you on that (seen it, own all the DVDs, and I even have a bona-fide B5 cast & crew jacket -- I know someone who knows someone.)  So I'll pass a tip back to you.  Are you watching "The Expanse?"  It just went through a B5-like cancellation drama (stupid SyFy channel!) but Amazon stepped in and is taking over production.  If you are not watching that I strongly recommend that you catch up.  It's excellent sci-fi.

1 hour ago, PreBabylonia said:

I love so many sci-fi and fantasy shows, but Babylon 5 strikes me as a cheap show that they made to capitalize on the popularity of the genre at that time. 

Hmmm.  Well, different strokes for different folks I guess.  I love Babylon 5.  A lot of its special effects look a bit dated now but they were cutting edge at the time they came out.  And the long-term story arc is a winner in my book.  In fact . . . it might just be time for a re-watch for me.

Edited by WatchrTina
11 minutes ago, PreBabylonia said:

Interesting. I always thought of Babylon 5 as pure cheese, and when friends told me they didn't like the genre at all so wouldn't try my Farscape, I would tell them, "no, it's not like a B movie, not a crappy show like Babylon 5." I love so many sci-fi and fantasy shows, but Babylon 5 strikes me as a cheap show that they made to capitalize on the popularity of the genre at that time. 

You must have missed the B5 vs DS9 Thunderdome fandom battle that warred on. Fans argued which came first and which was a ripoff of which. B5 IS very cheesy in the first few episodes.  The characters looked weird and had strange hairdos and makeup.  Bad alien makeup can throw one off, plus the Centauri people with their bad haircuts were definite turnoffs, but as the first season wears on, you begin to see the machinations each race is pulling against their enemies and it becomes a very deep space opera. B5 was a single 5-year long story based on a space station constructed to be sort of a United Nations in space. The actors begin to take on depth.  The actual show doesn't really blast off until the finale of the first season and that's predominantly because the main character of the show was such a lousy actor. His wooden acting turned a LOT of people off.  Watch the 1st 2 episodes of season 1 and you'll slowly become fascinated by the series.  If you loved Farscape, you'll eventually be torn between Farscape and B5 as to which is your favorite. @PreBabylonia, if you watch the first few episodes and are NOT intrigued, come back to this forum and call me a lying asshole.  I'll be here waiting.  That's how much confidence I have in B5 from a Farscape lover who has seen Farscape at least 10 times and watched it live originally.

20 minutes ago, WatchrTina said:

Hmmm.  Well, different strokes for different folks I guess.  I love Babylon 5.  A lot of its special effect look a bit dated now but they were cutting edge at the time they came out.  And the long-term story arc is a winner in my book.  In fact . . . it might just be time for a re-watch for me.

LOL, I just got finished trying to alert Prebabylonia as to the worthiness of B5. As for your tip to me, I started watching The Expanse and keep meaning to get back to it, I have a problem with Thomas Jane as I think he sucks as an actor, and whenever I see him in something, I immediately frown and scowl. He's incredibly dry as an actor and the only movie that I liked that he was in was "Deep Blue Sea".  I'll give it another try as I'm currently giving up on Wynonna Earp and need some serious Syfy/fantasy to get my interest again.  It's gotten so bad that I'm thinking of restarting, "The Originals", because I think I saw Caroline from TVD is back on the show and on my screen. Re-watch of B5 huh? I have all the DVD's also, AND own the videos on Amazon Prime Video.  Unfortunately, I have yet to find my Farscape DVD's and had to settle for the YouTube AND Google Play videos.

(edited)
7 hours ago, PreBabylonia said:

I watched Babylon 5 straight through, for the first time, over the course of a few months not long ago. I had a similar problem with it that I had with the first season of The Expanse--I could never fully get into the show because I could never fully buy into the universe they lived in. It's an enjoyable enough show, IMO, but I didn't feel like the 5-year story was actually all that well told when it was all said and done--I rather felt like someone was taking themselves far too seriously most of the time--but I stuck with it because I did enjoy a couple characters.

TBH, I think Farscape looks cheaper than Babylon 5 but I never had a problem buying into their universe. It was one of the most creative shows I've ever watched and it sucked me right in from almost the first episode.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, DittyDotDot said:

TBH, I think Farscape looks cheaper than Babylon 5 but I never had a problem buying into their universe. It was one of the most creative shows I've ever watched and it sucked me right in from almost the first episode.

I never thought it looked cheap myself, but I highly recommended it to my best friend and lent him my Season One dvd. He just couldn't get over how cheap the effects were, and couldn't see past it. I enjoyed it from the pilot and fell madly in love with it when Crichton goes a bit off the rails (think the season two premiere). As a longtime reader, I don't focus on special effects but character and then plot. I think the ones that are more literal focus first on the settings and production.

• Love 1

I didn't think it looked cheap either. These kinds of shows need some time to work out the look and feel of the universe that they're going for. JMS talked a lot about that during B5's run. 

Here, on the commentaries they talked about it a little - about how they got the idea to put their hands on the puppets to give it realism.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, PreBabylonia said:

I never thought it looked cheap myself, but I highly recommended it to my best friend and lent him my Season One dvd. He just couldn't get over how cheap the effects were, and couldn't see past it. I enjoyed it from the pilot and fell madly in love with it when Crichton goes a bit off the rails (think the season two premiere). As a longtime reader, I don't focus on special effects but character and then plot. I think the ones that are more literal focus first on the settings and production.

That's what I was kinda getting at. I wasn't saying that Farscape looked cheap overall--and, I'm quite certain it wasn't given all the puppetry involved--but in comparison to the look of Babylon 5, I think it was much less polished in that area. However, I bought into the Farscape's universe much easier than I did with Babylon 5.

4 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

That's what I was kinda getting at. I wasn't saying that Farscape looked cheap overall--and, I'm quite certain it wasn't given all the puppetry involved--but in comparison to the look of Babylon 5, I think it was much less polished in that area. However, I bought into the Farscape's universe much easier than I did with Babylon 5.

Talk about cheap, "Farscape" had an episode which I felt was one of my favorites.  It was when Aeryn first felt jealousy when she found Crichton and Gelena kissing. I think it was S1, E7, "PK Tech Girl" and Crichton and Gelena were working on the defense shield to protect themselves from attack from the Sheyangs. Right after the defense shield worked the first time and prevented the missile strikes, the defense shield blew up and the special effects consisted of stagehands throwing up waves of confetti while hiding behind the defense shield. It was laughably cheap. That scene stuck with me. I loved that Aeryn was able to "Clear the air" about "clicking" with someone.  

B5 had some memorable scenes as far as tender, funny, moments also. Delenn sounding like a "motor-butt" at dinner with Sheriden, wearing her little black dress. Simple scenes that were incredibly touching.

The season one DVD had behind the scenes commentary. I remember Ben Browder talking about how many times they had to run down the same hallway sets - it was several times because the set was very limited. And how they blew the budget on the episode that Rygel levitated for a few scenes. Hilarious.

I possibly wasn't too fair to Babylon 5. I only tried parts of one or two of the first episodes. I now give shows more of a chance. It took me six episodes to start liking The Leftovers. But I think there are far too many shows that I want to catch up with before I consider going back to it. Netflix alone keeps building up that list! 

On 7/30/2018 at 12:38 AM, Jacks-Son said:

The actual show doesn't really blast off until the finale of the first season and that's predominantly because the main character of the show was such a lousy actor. His wooden acting turned a LOT of people off.

In all fairness to Michael O'Hare who played Jeffery Sinclair, he was "wooden" because that entire first season (and the rest of his life) he was suffering from a psychotic disorder. I reckon he was doing the best he could.

On 7/31/2018 at 5:26 PM, diebartdie said:

I reckon he was doing the best he could.

I'd also add that he was 'not even on the long list' for commander of the station, so he's not really experienced at his job. And he was dealing with massive PTSD from the line. 

On 7/31/2018 at 4:26 PM, diebartdie said:

In all fairness to Michael O'Hare who played Jeffery Sinclair, he was "wooden" because that entire first season (and the rest of his life) he was suffering from a psychotic disorder. I reckon he was doing the best he could.

I wasn't aware of this, I apologize to him and his family.  Thanks for informing me.

4 hours ago, jelaine said:

@Jacks-Son, have you tried Killjoys? It just started its 4th season on Sciffy. Lots of fun, imho.

Yes, I've watched Killjoy's from the pilot and am still watching it. Although, its starting to get a touch weird now with Dutch/Aneela working together, Johnny, now on Hullen Green, Delle Seyah Kendry carrying D'avin's spawn, and Zeph turning into a bad-ass (love it). Thanks!  Still mad that Pawter died, love the actress; she plays a totally different character on "The Good Witch" as Abigail, and miss having Stephanie Leonidas (Clara, the Mech) loved her as Irisa on "Defiance" and as a young teen (Melanie) on "Doc Martin".

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

I wasn't aware of this, I apologize to him and his family.  Thanks for informing me.

JMS kept the secret literally to the grave for MOH and didn't inform the fans et al., until MOH passed. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, supposebly said:

May I ask a somewhat off-topic question about the thread title? What does Spielberg have to do with Farscape? I'm assuming this refers to Steven Spielberg.

It's not off-topic at all, it's actually a quote by John Crichton when recording his experience for his father once he met the crew of Moya.  He said it in the pilot episode.  Yes, it's remarking on Steven Spielberg's propensity for describing E.T.'s.

Edited by Jacks-Son
7 hours ago, festivus said:

I was planning a rewatch for this summer and now summer's almost gone. I haven't had much time to watch TV, I'm so behind on my shows.

Since it's a weakness I have, may I ask home many times have you seen the Farscape episode, "The Choice"? Aeryn despairs with grief for the loss of Talon-John and travels to a mystic planet.  I've only seen it once as it's too painful to watch it again.

7 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

Since it's a weakness I have, may I ask home many times have you seen the Farscape episode, "The Choice"? Aeryn despairs with grief for the loss of Talon-John and travels to a mystic planet.  I've only seen it once as it's too painful to watch it again.

I've seen it twice. I love that episode but I'm a weirdo that loves angst and CB's acting in that episode is soo good. Her standing in the window of that room is one of those images that stick in my mind.

The window from which she drunkenly yells Crichton's name? There are so many scenes between those two that are special. I used to HATE the "Twinning", but no other show could have pulled it off nor would have attempted to pull it off. 

• Love 2
On 8/2/2018 at 3:55 PM, Jacks-Son said:

And so it begins.  I do a rewatch of Farscape and Fringe yearly.  :-)

My two absolute favorites as well! Depending on the episode, or the day, or my mood, they move back and forth into the number one spot, but it’s usually Farscape. I remember seeing the first episode and John Crichton just drew me into the story and I was hooked. 

Just a heads up......  to celebrate its 20th anniversary, Jim Henson Company's Farscape is arriving on Amazon Prime.  The 'premiere' date starts tomorrow (or probly midnight tonight).  The entire 4 seasons, plus the miniseries finale (The Peacekeeper Wars).  As an added bonus, TPK will be remastered in HD.

https://www.gateworld.net/news/2019/03/farscape-amazon-prime-hd-remastered/

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 6