Type keyword(s) to search

Altered Carbon In The Media

On 2/4/2018 at 2:10 PM, Cheezwiz said:

That's a perceptive review.  I also appreciated AV Club's take in a longer review.  https://www.avclub.com/altered-carbon-gives-netflix-a-sprawling-sci-fi-blockb-1822570558

AV Club is a little more favorable, but not a rave saying "Altered Carbon is often quite a bit of fun, but its flaws are large and glaring."  They really like Kinnaman.  They also say AC is a "a textbook example of how the binge model helps to mask a show’s shortcomings during the viewing."  I think that's probably right.  If this show were on TV once a week, I think many viewers would tune out.

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 10:04 PM, Roaster said:

That's a perceptive review.  I also appreciated AV Club's take in a longer review.  https://www.avclub.com/altered-carbon-gives-netflix-a-sprawling-sci-fi-blockb-1822570558

AV Club is a little more favorable, but not a rave saying "Altered Carbon is often quite a bit of fun, but its flaws are large and glaring."  They really like Kinnaman.  They also say AC is a "a textbook example of how the binge model helps to mask a show’s shortcomings during the viewing."  I think that's probably right.  If this show were on TV once a week, I think many viewers would tune out.

I think that's a very good point.  I really liked Altered Carbon but can't deny binge watching covers up a lot of flaws.  In some ways, AC reminds me of the one-season sci-fi shows that Fox often has (with more sex and violence).  That's not a bad thing mind you but those shows tend to start off with high ratings that become very low as the show completes its season.

Edited by benteen

Hi everyone

Just finished watching all the episodes with my girlfriend, one of the best shows i have seen in a long time

I taught to share her work with the rest of the fans out there

I hope you will love it as much as i do, please reply and share your fan art  as well

Wow, I never expected this would come back and am very excited for it. Although I do have to admit I started reading the second book, but did not finish. I just couldn't get into it as much as the first book, plus the printing was too small and I was having a hard time reading.

Anthony Mackie is so dam sexy! I’m excited. I can’t wait to see him take over the role of Kovacs. I wonder if REG will be back as Falconer? I hope we’ll see her in the role again. 

• Love 2

Anthony Mackie being cast for the adaptation of the second book makes me feel like I should watch the rest of season one. But man, it was so fucking boring. The book wasn't boring. I don't know how Netflix managed to do it.

The cast didn't help. Other than James Purefoy and the actor playing Poe, there wasn't an ounce of life amongst them.

I loved Joel Kinnaman in The Killing but I did not love him in this.   He just fell flat for me. No depth to his portrayal.   Hoping for better things with AM.  

I thought the actress who played Ortega was very good.  I see some criticize of her around here but for me she was better than JK

1 hour ago, Enero said:

I'm excited about this as well, but Anthony Mackie was enough to get me squealing with glee!

They will be joined by new cast additions Simone Missick, who played Detective Misty Knight in the Netflix Marvel universe; Dina Shihabi ; German actor Torben Liebrecht  and veteran James Saito in Season 2, headlined by Anthony Mackie as the lead Takeshi Kovacs, a role originated by Joel Kinnaman in Season 1.

• Love 1

I hadn't heard anything in a while about the second season of this show, so had a look around. I've seen February 2020 as the release date, and the first season debuted February 2018 so that seems as good a correlation as any.

I'm a big fan of Torben Liebrecht based on the small sample of work I've been able to see (I don't speak German) although I hope he's not being typecast as a baddie.

Wow. When does this start again? Next Thursday? Roll on!

The folding knife is a CRKT Deviation by Terry Renner. I bought one about four years ago, but when it arrived, Customs & Excise decided it was just too scary-looking (or something), so they seized/withheld it. Grrr!

The fixed-blade is an MTech Xtreme MTX8135 which is a piece of junk, really, but I might have to try and acquire one now, just because!

Quoting myself...

On 2/26/2020 at 8:01 AM, Netfoot said:

Sucker for punishment: I've just re-ordered a new Deviation.  Let's see how I get on with Customs this time!

And I've also ordered an MTX8135 as well.  Just for the hell of it...

The Deviation and the MTX8135 finally arrived today, after 2 months delay related to Bat Soup.

The Deviation folder is quite substantial and solid, far more than I expected. Good deep-carry clip. I'm just glad that Customs didn't decide to "withhold" this one, like they did with the last one I ordered. This looks very futuristic, which is prolly why they picked it for the show. It is not assisted, but comes with an IKBS ball bearing pivot. Given this, it is surprisingly difficult to open fully using the Carson flipper, without adding a little wrist-flick. (There is no thumb stud.) Still, glad to get this into my collection at last.

The MTech is also quite solid (The blade is 5mm thick), and if the steel is 440C as claimed, it isn't too crap. A pronounced American Tanto, with a sharp point, and the edge is not too bad... I've had much more expensive knives with duller blades. It already shaves the hair off my arm, and if it is 440C it won't take long to get it truly keen. The haft is pretty good in size and shape, and is grooved G-10. There are two lanyard holes and a skull-buster. Gimped thumb-ramp works well with finger choil, and with the finger ring you can choke up well enough, but there is no gimping on the reverse ramp. There is what appears to be a strap-cutter or cord-cutter near the rear of the blade edge. The saw-back is a complete joke, I sawed away at my own arm for several seconds without even getting a scratch. The slot running along the blade is supposedly a "lashing slot", but the overall shape of the knife & handle make that unlikely to work well. Sheath is meh, but the nylon leg-ties are junk and should be replaced by some proper 550 cord immediately!

‘Altered Carbon’ Canceled By Netflix After 2 Seasons

Netflix has opted not to order a third season of the mind-bending, body-swapping sci-fi series Altered Carbon.

The eight-episode Season 2 of the cyberpunk drama, which starred Anthony Mackie, was released on Feb. 27, followed by an anime movie on March 19.

I hear Netflix’s decision not to proceed with further seasons was made in April and is not COVID-related but stems from the streamer’s standard viewership vs. cost renewal review process. (Netflix recently canceled two previously renewed series, The Society and I Am Not OK With This, citing COVID-related circumstances.)

I really don't understand Netflix's model.  I mean with tv based networks you do kinda see a cancelation coming.   Even the ultimately heartbreaking ones.  But on the other end most of the networks are willing to let good shows stay on the air especially popular and award winning ones.  Now Altered Carbon was neither but being an online platform I don't understand how Netflix can continue to cancel shows after two seasons without at least giving the show an ending.  Even a bullshit one.    I mean or two times is one thing.  But when it continues to happen......I mean I am getting to the point where I don't even want to watch a netflix show until it hit the two year mark.  Which is probably counterproductive to them since everyone know they  cancel shows after two years without an ending.  

And they aren't even the only online platform out there.  I still consider them the best but Prime and All Access are actually putting out decent material.  I would bring up Hulu but I haven't found an original worth watching.  

Honestly Altered Carbon was a decent show and its not even one of the shows I am too upset about.  But its the principal of the matter for me.  The more shows Netflix cancels the less likely I am to watch the first season of a show the weekend it comes out.   And then the more likely a show is to be cancelled after 1 and 2 seasons.

Its a stupid model.  

Expensive to produce, didn't end on a cliffhanger, season 2 was worse then season 1. No awards or buzz.

Netflix's reason for existing is to keep people subscribed to the service and their model shows that a new show is a better investment then a current expensive one with dropping viewers and no buzz.

I think their cost plus percentage they pay for the first 2 seasons goes up for more seasons after that so most shows don't make it past 2 unless they are very popular to critics and viewers. 

Look at what happened with their purchase of Lucifer where the first season they made was a big international hit so they decided to make one more and call it a day (since they also stream the fist 3 seasons from FOX). The show did so well they wanted more episodes (from 10 to 16) and then said hell make one more season. This rarely happens.