Type keyword(s) to search

Bosch: Legacy - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, leighdear said:

Crimes Against Persons

I did eventually find that-- it looks like a lot of places that encompasses *all* crimes against persons, including rape, murder, etc. but I guess here it's all the stuff that is left over after you remove the "big stuff" so it's mostly guys getting in fist fights, thus the "he said he said" comment that one of the cops made, and why it's a demotion for them.

• Love 1

I’m glad that Barrel didn’t retire. Crate and Barrel are two great characters that bring a little levity to the precinct. It was sweet that they gave him the smart watch and the party. Now wait until everyone finds out he took a 5 year deferment! 

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, langford peel said:

I don’t understand why the had to fly these shills to a secret location. It seems expensive and too complicated. 

I had the same thought. So were all of those people essentially enslaved? They are in it forever? All to get a guaranteed trickle of oxy? Did they fly them just so they couldn't run away?

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Yes. x4

so why was the guy (Louis?) who vouched for Bosch not one of the enslaved? And the VA doc who showed up in both places-- was he in on the whole deal, or just writing too many scripts?

1 hour ago, dleighg said:

I had the same thought. So were all of those people essentially enslaved? They are in it forever? All to get a guaranteed trickle of oxy? Did they fly them just so they couldn't run away?

I just took it that in case one got picked up at first contact the police couldn’t figure out where they had been. But then they hit local pharmacies before flying to the desert locations

3 minutes ago, dleighg said:

so why was the guy (Louis?) who vouched for Bosch not one of the enslaved? And the VA doc who showed up in both places-- was he in on the whole deal, or just writing too many scripts?

My guess he was dealing on the side and had a more reliable supply

6 hours ago, dleighg said:

From what I could make from this, there were clinics with doctors willing to write prescriptions for pain meds.  Each shill was written multiple prescriptions.  They would then be taken to pharmacies that wouldn't ask many questions.  The seemed to be free to do what they wanted when they were in LA so I think the reason they were flown to a different part of the state was to hit up other pharmacies willing to be a part of this operation. They couldn't leave because there was nowhere to go.

I suspect they could leave but leaving would mean they give up their access to Oxy. 

They got away with it even as things fell apart.  But like so many of the criminals Bosch tracks down, they take.it.personally!  So instead of escaping to Canada, they go to Bosch's to be killed.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

I too never figured out if the doc was somewhat legit...I had to step out a few times during my binge watching.  I love this show, but full confession I have a big crush on Jaime Hector...and I can't wait to see Lance Reddick in John Wick!   

I could have done without the Maddie part of the show...especially the puppy love . I actually thought that he had an angle he was playing with Maddie.  I really love all of the partnerships and how well they work together. 

I have liked Paul Calderon's acting in pretty much everything he has been in. 

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

I too never figured out if the doc was somewhat legit...I had to step out a few times during my binge watching.  I love this show, but full confession I have a big crush on Jaime Hector...and I can't wait to see Lance Reddick in John Wick!   

I think that at the VA for the veterans he was legit, however if you turned up at the pain clinic he would take the money for the prescriptions. Especially if you didn't take his initial medical advice.

• Love 1

I enjoyed this season. A little suprised no one from the main cast was shot or killed.

Jacqueline Obradors was a nice addition (Still fine!).

I like where Pierce is now from where he started in season one.

Maddie wasn't too annoying. 

The court room scene was funny.

When J. Edgar started to tell his ex-wife all the information at the cafe, I'm getting nervous his days are numbered.

How could Crate ask for the Apple watch back? Poor taste.

Of course! Walsh and his two stooges couldn't just go to Canada but it ended well nicely for them.

So the picture was the only skelton in the chief's closet that needed to shredded? I'm sure the opposition will dig up more in this upcoming mayoral election.

Coltran said "I'll go when I'm ready".

Didn't expect Elizabeth to get a story. Thought the last we would see her was at Charlie Company getting clean. Most shows would introduce her type and discard her after one or two episodes. Nice to see the change.

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 5

Unlike most precociously annoying  daughters on television, I've always though Maddie was a been pretty reliable and likeable teen character.  I don't even mind the puppy love too much - although I hope it doesn't become an important subplot.  But there's one thing about her this season that I find very distracting - she constantly keeps her head tucked down into her chest or her shoulder, even while speaking her lines.  It's awkward and odd, and makes her look like a crane, is anyone else bothered by this? 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, jrlr said:

Unlike most precociously annoying  daughters on television, I've always though Maddie was a been pretty reliable and likeable teen character.  I don't even mind the puppy love too much - although I hope it doesn't become an important subplot.  But there's one thing about her this season that I find very distracting - she constantly keeps her head tucked down into her chest or her shoulder, even while speaking her lines.  It's awkward and odd, and makes her look like a crane, is anyone else bothered by this? 

She just seems uncomfortable being very tall. Especially she she was spying 

2 hours ago, jrlr said:

she constantly keeps her head tucked down into her chest or her shoulder, even while speaking her lines.  It's awkward and odd, and makes her look like a crane, is anyone else bothered by this? 

I mentioned it earlier. Usually tall girls slouch their shoulders, though. This head-down thing is a new one to me. Like I said before, it's like her hair is too heavy for her to hold up her head. But if that's all I have about her to complain about, she's doin' great!

• Love 5

Overall, I really liked this season. It moved around and managed a lot of different faces and stories and kept them all connected reasonably well. For ten 40 minute episodes, it covered a lot and yet still found small moments (Barrel buying a pizza and then enjoying his dinner watching a movie) to plop into a random episode.

Now, there certainly were story problems, more notably, the Maddie end of interning at the DA's office.  While I can believe she'd score a summer job there, I don't buy the amount of freedom she had just roaming around, completely unsupervised. I had to laugh every time she had her phone with her. Just, no. That would not be permitted AT ALL. Then she enters the CIU and there's no fob to get in? No secretary to hand things off to? She can just wander in an office when nobody is there? When they're knee deep in a case involving potential misconduct by her father? There's no way she'd be permitted near that office.  The only times I bought how she got information was when Tom first told her and when she overheard the DA rattling off while they left the CIU. THAT is how people find out random shit they shouldn't know in their office: GOSSIP. But everything else? Horseshit.  Way too unbelievable. It's called the Conviction Integrity Unit and yet there's NO protocol for security?  I get the storyline of Maddie being in the DA's office, but there are so many better ways for her to find out that information. That aspect was really poorly done.

I also really didn't buy Bosch's shrug when Maddie admitted what she did. Not only in terms of what she was doing was very much illegal and would have lost her the job but also that she could have potentially been arrested, potentially compromised her scholarships/schooling, would most certainly have looked like Bosch asked her to snoop for him.  Also, it should have freaked him out that she was willing to do these things TO HELP HIM because she felt the need to protect him and was willing risk HER future to do that.  All of that should have set him off, not only as a cop, but as her father.

I did enjoy the notion that it was THIS recent article in the LA Times that blew Bosch's cover and not say, the several other times he and his picture were prominently featured in the past. Nope, just THIS time. The idea that Bosch could go undercover in LA is a bit much.

Finally, I quite liked the way the show doesn't really hide the fact that Bosch can be a real asshole. The whole Christina Henry thing was really interesting and I like how the show kind of sprinkled bits and pieces about it throughout the season.  It suggested she was personally motivated, but at the same time, kind of acknowledged that he screwed her over back in the day. I like Bosch, but he's a bit of a dog and fuck up.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Vella said:

Overall, I really liked this season. It moved around and managed a lot of different faces and stories and kept them all connected reasonably well. For ten 40 minute episodes, it covered a lot and yet still found small moments (Barrel buying a pizza and then enjoying his dinner watching a movie) to plop into a random episode.

Now, there certainly were story problems, more notably, the Maddie end of interning at the DA's office.  While I can believe she'd score a summer job there, I don't buy the amount of freedom she had just roaming around, completely unsupervised. I had to laugh every time she had her phone with her. Just, no. That would not be permitted AT ALL. Then she enters the CIU and there's no fob to get in? No secretary to hand things off to? She can just wander in an office when nobody is there? When they're knee deep in a case involving potential misconduct by her father? There's no way she'd be permitted near that office.  The only times I bought how she got information was when Tom first told her and when she overheard the DA rattling off while they left the CIU. THAT is how people find out random shit they shouldn't know in their office: GOSSIP. But everything else? Horseshit.  Way too unbelievable. It's called the Conviction Integrity Unit and yet there's NO protocol for security?  I get the storyline of Maddie being in the DA's office, but there are so many better ways for her to find out that information. That aspect was really poorly done.

I also really didn't buy Bosch's shrug when Maddie admitted what she did. Not only in terms of what she was doing was very much illegal and would have lost her the job but also that she could have potentially been arrested, potentially compromised her scholarships/schooling, would most certainly have looked like Bosch asked her to snoop for him.  Also, it should have freaked him out that she was willing to do these things TO HELP HIM because she felt the need to protect him and was willing risk HER future to do that.  All of that should have set him off, not only as a cop, but as her father.

I did enjoy the notion that it was THIS recent article in the LA Times that blew Bosch's cover and not say, the several other times he and his picture were prominently featured in the past. Nope, just THIS time. The idea that Bosch could go undercover in LA is a bit much.

Finally, I quite liked the way the show doesn't really hide the fact that Bosch can be a real asshole. The whole Christina Henry thing was really interesting and I like how the show kind of sprinkled bits and pieces about it throughout the season.  It suggested she was personally motivated, but at the same time, kind of acknowledged that he screwed her over back in the day. I like Bosch, but he's a bit of a dog and fuck up.

I agree with nearly all of what you wrote-- just except the part about the recent photo. Sure, if they'd had a name to look up, they could have seen that he was a cop. But he had a fake name. So I doubt those low-lifes were spending a lot of time reading newspapers and filing away mental photos of every LAPD cop. So that part was ok for me. 

• Love 6
On 4/21/2019 at 9:57 PM, mxc90 said:

Didn't expect Elizabeth to get a story. Thought the last we would see her was at Charlie Company getting clean. Most shows would introduce her type and discard her after one or two episodes. Nice to see the change.

They are setting up next season. Harry will obsess about Daisy’s murder in the same way he did his own Mom. Plus J Edgar will have a B plot with the Haitian politics.

• Love 8

Titus Welliver is active on Twitter and stated that Coltrane (the dog he rescued from the drug guys) will be back next season too. He’s actually very nice, will take a moment to answer a fans questions and is generous with his likes. Nothing better than admiring an actor and finding out that he seems to be a nice person in his personal life. I think all those good attitudes of the actors on this show contributes to it being so wonderful. 

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Titus Welliver is active on Twitter and stated that Coltrane (the dog he rescued from the drug guys) will be back next season too. He’s actually very nice, will take a moment to answer a fans questions and is generous with his likes. Nothing better than admiring an actor and finding out that he seems to be a nice person in his personal life. I think all those good attitudes of the actors on this show contributes to it being so wonderful. 

I'm so glad to hear that, because I just adore him.  His portrayal of Harry is one of the best "flawed heroes" on screen these days.  

I will say that I reallyreallyreally dispised Christina Henry.  Every time she did her frowny smirk, I wanted to reach through the TV and slap the snot out of her.  Total sour grapes, and I'm glad Harry got a chance to take her down a peg.  He spit out that phrase "You just weren't good enough" perfectly, with a little venom, but not total viciousness.  She definitely got the message.  

*sigh*  I have such a crush on Titus. I'll probably rewatch all 10 episodes next weekend.  *LOL*

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 6

Apparently, I've seen Welliver in a bunch of stuff, but never really noticed him until he played Farley Kolt on Grimm - a shades of grey guy who may have been a good guy, may have been a bad guy. I kept hoping for his character to return, but he never did.

And now I can't read the Connelly books without picturing him as Bosch.

• Love 3

I knew the minute she had a child who was murdered that she would live and her story would go on. Everyone matters to Harry.

• Love 8

I'm midway through S5 and didn't read all the posts, as I don't want to be spoiled. Can someone suggest a good recap web site for S5? I'm confused about a couple of subplots and want to get myself up to speed before going further. Thanks!

(And as someone who grew up in the 80s, pretty wild to see C. Thomas Howell in a role.)

• Love 4

I really enjoy this show -- especially the lead actor (although for some weird reason, the rope bracelet bugs.  It helps that Maddie has one, too, but that's a little wardrobe accessory I can never seem to NOT notice.  They are just so....high school.  Thank God he doesn't wear a pooka shell necklace.)

What I like about Bosch's shrug when he finds out about Maddie's shenanigan is what I like about the show -- they are all weirdly forgiving of each other's odd behavior.  I find that refreshing.  (I thought the wife was weird as hell...just too much going on with being his ex, a master gambler in Hong Kong remarried to a kidnapping victim, and an undercover FBI agent?  Reminded me of "24" which over-piled wildly unrealistic plotlines on characters, too.  So, I found myself forgiving her story line just as Bosch did.)

• Love 3

Finally sat down and watch the first episode of this season.  Loved the recap at the beginning but then got a bit lost.  Are we supposed to be able to read the screen and notes that Maddie is viewing?  If so ... my eyes aren't that good.  I'd have to pause the story to do that.

FYI: The Primetimers Awards voting is now open. Bosch has been nominated for two categories. Please vote for them. 

Who’s a Good Boy (favorite animal)- please vote for Harry’s dog Coltrane. 

Favorite Binge Watch- Bosch 

Favorite Drama- Bosch 

I finished watching the season and very much enjoyed it once again.  I thought it wasn't as strong as recent series but still once that I look forward to every year.  I like the procedural aspect of the cases, the cast is excellent and I love the way they shoot Los Angeles. 

Christina Henry bugged me too and her past involvement with Bosch should have disqualified her immediately.

Enjoyed Bosch's fight to the death on the planet.

I'm also glad that Barrel is not retiring.  Him and Crate continue to remain a fun addition to the show.

Agreed that Maddie works a lot better than most teenage daughter characters do.

Like that Jay Edgar will be getting a big storyline next season.

• Love 3

I was binge-watching "Men of a Certain Age" and there's a woman in it who looks so familiar. She plays a blind date of Ray Romano's character, Joe, and is appalled when he bets a whole lot of money on a sports game in hopes of getting the down payment for a house. I looked her up on imdb and she's Sarah Clarke, the late Eleanor Wish, professional gambler. LOL. No wonder she looked familiar.

Just a few observations, having recently discovered this show and started Season 4 tonite:

Isn't Clark Johnson kind of a well-enough-known actor to just kill off in the first episode?

Crate and Barrel are sort of the Flynn and Provenza of this show.

This show is a treasure trove of H!ITG and H!ITW Now I actively watch for 24 alums, and recognized Barrel as the school principal in Twin Peaks.

• Love 1
On 7/18/2019 at 9:27 AM, torqy said:

Crate and Barrel are sort of the Flynn and Provenza of this show.

Exactly. In fact the whole methodical and detailed police teamwork reminds me fondly of Major Crimes.

On 7/17/2019 at 11:27 PM, torqy said:

Isn't Clark Johnson kind of a well-enough-known actor to just kill off in the first episode?

Not well known by me, anyway. I said "who?" even after looking him up on IMDB. But then, I've only seen him in Bosch and haven't seen The Wire or Homicide: Life on the Street, which I'm sure made him well know to many other people - just not me. 🙂

Since Clark Johnson  wasn't the breakout star from Homicide Life on the Street I have mostly seen him as a big name TV  director who still acts on and off again.

• Love 4
(edited)

Nearing the end of season 2. The whole Carl Nash thing has been annoying. First, Bosch and Edgar had no suspicions about the guy from the beginning, and they are seasoned detectives? It jumped out to me right off the bat that this goof was acting a little too odd, and there was lots of phoniness.  And inappropriately inserting himself too often. Second, a fat old guy who just cannot be caught and he has women falling for him right and left. Mo, for example. And that nice, pretty woman vet to go to who still has a thing for the miserable piece of sh..?? What's next? Bosch and the old man will get in a fist fight and the fat, wounded, old man will give him the fight of his life?

Edited by Pat Hoolihan
  • Love 2

I randomly stumbled across this show and over the last couple months binged all 5 seasons.  I don't know how I missed that it exists - I have read several of the Bosch novels (my dad was a huge fan) and generally like crime type shows anyway.  Although there was some ebb and flow in my interest in the seasons (I found my interest wandering several times in S2), for the most part it is very enjoyable, a high quality crime show not trying to be something more than what it is.  

They really managed to capture the "feel" of the books in a TV format.  The lead actor is very good, but it took a while to adjust the difference between his characterization of Bosch and the Bosch I had created in my head while reading the books.  I also love the LA-ness of the whole endeavor; having lived here most of my life it is great to see how they integrate local landmarks and topography into the plot (even the late, great Smog Cutter!).   

Glad to read here there is a S6 on the way. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Regalbegal said:

They really managed to capture the "feel" of the books in a TV format.  The lead actor is very good, but it took a while to adjust the difference between his characterization of Bosch and the Bosch I had created in my head while reading the books.

I agree! But now the show's Bosch is completely taken over!

• Love 1

Two things: They have been given a green light for Season 7. Season 6 should drop in April. 

The Everybody Counts or Nobody Counts tee shirts are available again for a short while. They benefit Michael Connelly’s favorite charity and come in long or short sleeves.  Go to Bonfire.com to get yours. 

• Love 4