Type keyword(s) to search

Bosch: Legacy - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 4/24/2017 at 7:12 PM, Lord Donia said:

I was a little let down with this season and am unsure if I'd be up for more.

I feel the same way; this season had too many moments where I wondered if the director fell asleep or what. I loved the first 2 seasons and started reading the books after watching; now I prefer the stories as told by the author because they have more depth and detail, especially the Holland case. 

I like that Bosch is still trying to find his mother's killer; that's a pivotal event of his life and one of the reasons why he's a cop.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I wonder if, when Connelly writes new Bosch novels, he, too, pictures Welliver now as Bosch, or has he had a clear vision of what he thinks Bosch looks like that he maintains.

(Just got "The Wrong Side of Goodbye" from the library.)

There is precedent for that. Go back and read some Perry Mason novels both before and after the beginning of the TV series. Once Raymond Burr was selected as Mason by series author Erle Stanley Gardner, he clearly altered Mason's physical description and speech patterns in the latter novels to match Burr.

As for Season 3, which I binge-watched yesterday (**SPOILERS**):

The entire KTK subplot seemed to go nowhere, but they're presumably setting it up for next season.

Got a kick out of watching the last two Blackwater guys turn on each other when things went to shit.

Took me half the season to realize that was Paul Calderón playing Robertson. Ditto with Arnold Vosloo playing Gomez. Also, I gotta love Gomez mocking Bosch's life choices when he (Gomez) had become a de facto hitman for that scuzzy director.

Bosch is lucky nobody caught his little camera setup on Gunn until they knew he'd been framed for the murder. Speaking of which, I didn't really buy his high-and-mighty act with Edgar when he found out everyone had been checking him. He (Bosch) had been going WAY outside both the law and accepted police procedure in putting hidden cameras in Gunn's apartment, particularly when nothing he gleaned from that would have been admissible.

So now Bosch wants to bring down a key city official for his mother's four-decade-old murder based on an innkeeper's fuzzy memory of that official using a friend's CI name to check into the same motel where the murder happened? Good luck with that.

Edited by Sir RaiderDuck OMS
  • Love 3

I just finished watching S1 and S2. As others have said, nothing new here - ultimately just another cop show, but it's a good cop show. 

Bosch is so dry though, yet charismatic, very different than the over emotional cops we usually see on these types of shows. 

Love Deputy Irving and Edgar. I just wish the latter was written as Bosch's equal. Yes Bosch is older, wiser is the star of the show, but sometimes Edgar sometimes comes off as a detective in training, and therefore rarely has any valuable input into the cases he and Bosch work. 

I think what made S2 not as good as S1 was that it was so predictable. As soon as I saw Irving's son was undercover, and really not that great at it, I knew he was going to die. I also pegged Jeri Ryan and Brent Sexton as shady from jump. 

I did not predict Irving's wife asking for a divorce over their son's death. I understand she was grieving. I could even understand her needing some time apart, but divorce seemed a bit extreme. I wondered if the marriage had serious issues before the death of their son. However, from what we were shown the marriage seemed to be solid. 

I like the potential of Bosch's relationship with his daughter. She definitely could be fleshed out more, but I am enjoying the fact that so far she's genuinely a good kid.

• Love 4

I finished Season 3 and I really enjoyed it.  This series is a favorite of mine and while I while I think it’s about two steps below the truly great TV series, it’s a really good show.  I like the detective work we see in it.  I think the show continues to make great use of its LA setting.  I also appreciate that each season is 10 episodes between 41-52 minutes long.  Not the self-indulgent, overlong horseshit of a show like Iron Fist, which is 13 episodes nearly an hour long in length.

I like too that the show has expanded the role of the other detectives and appreciate that they’re not portrayed as stupid to prop up Bosch.

I’m definitely looking forward to Season 4.

• Love 10
(edited)
On 5/31/2016 at 10:35 AM, Winston9-DT3 said:

I thought season 1 was a lot better.  The mystery this time didn't grab me and you knew as soon as you saw Ryan and Sexton they were going to be the perps, because they're too big of names to play red herrings or nobodies.  

Welliver is a good Bosch but I kind of wish he'd lose the paunch and buff up a bit.  He's short and pudgy and has sloped shoulders and this show is so visual... it'd be nice if he was a bit hotter.  Or maybe everyone looks short and pudgy next to Lance Reddick.  

Though some of the styling choices are interesting, like how Eleanor appears to be affluent and stylish but seems to wear zero make-up.  Though Bosch's redhead love interest last season also seemed to prefer the no makeup look.  

I only started watching this show because I find Welliver incredibly hot and will pretty much watch him in anything - even the last Transformers movie. 

But, I love how the show is shot and have stuck with it even though I hate serial killer plot lines.

Edited by pivot
  • Love 2

I am so sad that I've finished the third season.  I enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed the second season.  The first season was like comfort food as well but I didn't like how much time we spent from the perspective of the serial killer.

One thing I'm somewhat iffy on is the fact that we have two cases that made appearances in this season but are still going to be dealt with in the next season. 

• Love 1
On 8/26/2016 at 8:36 PM, Raja said:

It is the opposite of Tom Cruise and the Jack Reacher thing. Bosch started off as a Vietnam Tunnel Rat, updated for TV into being in a tunnel during the 100 hour ground war of  Gulf War I. And Tunnel rats where chosen in part for being short.

Upon finishing the 3rd season now Harry Bosch was also in the 5th Special Forces Group (Middle East and Africa focused) in Afghanistan in the early years of the war.. The villain Captain seemed surprised he was taken down by old school tactics, I thought that precisely what Army Special Forces were supposed to be better at as it aided in their training role for nations which could not afford what the US Military can.

• Love 1
On 4/24/2017 at 4:12 PM, Lord Donia said:

Well, I got through it but not happily.

I'm not claiming it doesn't happen or isn't realistic, but I'm personally sick of stories about adults whose obsession with a dead parent takes over their lives. Move on, already!

I was a little let down with this season and am unsure if I'd be up for more. I feel like the entire arc could have been told in a 90 minute movie. Guess I kind of agree with Jerry that I'm not sure I want to be Bosch's partner any more; his sketchiness and lone wolf rule-breaking are getting to be tiresome.

I was happy that Bosch's mom's murder was over, it was a satisfying end.  So I'm not really happy about it re-opening and I doubt I am going to be as satisfied the way it ends up this time.

I have liked the series, but it has crossed the line this last few episodes to make Bosch very unlikeable.  The level Bosch has become holier than thou breaking rules while demanding everyone else follow them and verbally (and sometimes physically) attacking all other people and shutting them out when they don't follow rules has become over the top.  Yes he is in that direction but he needs to get over himself.  And demanding everyone no matter who they are including e.g. the chief, Jerry, Jimmy, everyone really, to go out on the limb for him no matter what he wants, what trouble it will cause, and what rules he has broken is a farce.  Who would put up with it to this extent and for this long?  It is pushing me to not want to watch if he doesn't get some redeeming personality traits, I don't care how many murders he solves, he is cheating, lying, breaking laws etc. to do so, it just doesn't work.

• Love 3
On 3/22/2016 at 10:40 AM, Voice of Joy said:

Long time fan of the Bosch book series here. It took me three or four episodes to really warm up to Welliver as Bosch. He was different looking in my mind - always a problem after one has read so many books with a recurring character. But he's won me over. It was also a bit jarring to start so far into the series and see the plots all mixed up, but I went with the flow and really enjoyed it, especially the second season. The casting is excellent in general, and they manage to reproduce the tense conflict that drives the books so well.

Particularly nice detail - they emphasize the hallways whenever possible. Those long, dark, enclosed spaces are no doubt as a shout out to Bosch's fear of dark tunnels. I am gratified father/daugher relationship rings genuine as well.

I hope there's a Season 3, even though the book set in Hong Kong is by far my least favorite of the series.

My husband and I listen to the Bosch books in the car. We are in the middle of the latest one.  We do not listen when not in the car, so it keeps up the suspense.  Titus Welliver has been the reader for the last few, which is a nice touch, as we are fans of the show too (He makes himself drawl like Matthew McConnahey when he plays Mickey Heller.  I keep hoping they will have MM guest star on the TV show). 

I hope they continue changing the plots the way they have been, as it makes it more interesting for those who have read the books.  I usually don't enjoy movies made from a mystery I've already read. I'm trying to figure out what is going on with season 4. It sounds like it is only two episodes. 

We also disliked the Hong Kong book.  A misfire on many levels needed to explain plot twists. 

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 3
On 1/4/2018 at 2:49 AM, Magic said:

I was happy that Bosch's mom's murder was over, it was a satisfying end.  So I'm not really happy about it re-opening and I doubt I am going to be as satisfied the way it ends up this time.

I have liked the series, but it has crossed the line this last few episodes to make Bosch very unlikeable.  The level Bosch has become holier than thou breaking rules while demanding everyone else follow them and verbally (and sometimes physically) attacking all other people and shutting them out when they don't follow rules has become over the top.  Yes he is in that direction but he needs to get over himself.  And demanding everyone no matter who they are including e.g. the chief, Jerry, Jimmy, everyone really, to go out on the limb for him no matter what he wants, what trouble it will cause, and what rules he has broken is a farce.  Who would put up with it to this extent and for this long?  It is pushing me to not want to watch if he doesn't get some redeeming personality traits, I don't care how many murders he solves, he is cheating, lying, breaking laws etc. to do so, it just doesn't work.

I have also been troubled by how he left Jerry hanging in then last season. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I want to make a few brief comments about the show overall and hope this is the correct thread to do that.

I have watched the first two seasons and I almost gave up on the show a few times. But I decided to stick it out.

I have a few real problems with this show. The first is the acting. For the most part, I'm afraid that I find the acting to be very bad. Most all the actors seem to deliver their lines in a very "wooden" manner. My opinion about this may well fly in the face of most other people and so I think it would be best if I say nothing more on this subject until I see what other people may have to say. My opinion may very well be in the minority.

The second problem I have is that it seems there have been a few major plot developments that were just ridiculous. They were so improbable that I couldn't believe the show runner would have let them be part of the overall plot. But again, I'd like to hear from some other people on this. Do you think there were several plot turn that were so unbelievable as to make them seem just ridiculous?

Finally, I have a problem with the lead actor Titus Welliver. I just don't find hardly anything about him that is at all charismatic. I can't seem to get interested in his character at all. I can't find any interest in what happens to him. When he is on screen for any extended amount of time, I just want to turn off the TV and go to sleep.

Am I alone in that feeling?

Edited by MissBluxom
  • Love 3
On 2/13/2018 at 7:35 PM, Irlandesa said:

Happy Bosch News! 

The show has been renewed for a fifth season.

And the fourth season debuts on Friday, April 13th. 

Here's a promo:

They must be using the international dateline because it is already up. I had no ideal it was coming back until I caught Titus Welliver on Adam Carolla's podcast.

So they doubled down on the old man becoming special forces from last season. I still don't think as a character Bosch didn't need the elite soldier bio. And now we know why so much time was spent just following glimpses of the random serial killer we have seen. For a novel which might spawn a Hollywood Homicide spin-off I can see adding it but ultimately where does the Crate and Barrel story go besides time filler. The show has the same lazy time beats as The Wire but the lower level in house politics of Hollywood Division isn't as compelling as the higher level politics or the politics of other organizations that The Wire had going for it.

• Love 1

Has John Getz *ever* played a good guy once he was through being Neil the Architect on Another World? (Given his long career, he probably has; it only *seems* like he's always at least semi-evil, if not downright evil.)

When they originally cast Maddie, I'm sure they had no idea she'd grow up to be all legs and taller than both her parents. LOL. She's a lovely young woman. I liked the conversation in the car, "When you're old, you'll be begging me to drive you places." "There's always Uber."

I'd forgotten Bosch had a "thing" about tunnels.

• Love 5
39 minutes ago, AladdinSane said:

its sad how there are no entries here ,but the Real Housewives has hundreds. God i miss TWOP

I don't think that the binge watching format is set up for these kind of sites. There is no time to sit around and discuss for a week as folks just watch the next episode in a binge. Even for a day between episodes you worry about being spoiled.

• Love 4

Now that we're in the 4th season, I think I've finally reached the point where I'm not constantly comparing it to the books in my head, and instead it's just a show I enjoy which by coincidence has characters with the same names as one of my favorite mystery series.  

The one thing that bugged me was how they failed to discover the tunnel access to the crime scene until days after the murders.  Jerry even talked about how he chased a suspect into the old subway tunnels once.  At the beginning they could not find anyone on the various camera shots covering the area, but no one said, hey, what's behind this door over here?  

I also found it hard to believe that the mayor's office would not have had some staffer or intern at the protests, keeping them apprised of what was happening.  At least the chief had Grace and Mank up on the roof!  

• Love 9
56 minutes ago, Calvada said:

The one thing that bugged me was how they failed to discover the tunnel access to the crime scene until days after the murders.  Jerry even talked about how he chased a suspect into the old subway tunnels once.  At the beginning they could not find anyone on the various camera shots covering the area, but no one said, hey, what's behind this door over here?  

This was a pretty big 'miss' by all of the cops looking for evidence . And why were the doors unlocked? With the doors unlocked this way, you can bet there would have been much more trash in there and evidence of homeless persons using it for shelter. 

• Love 7

Just finished binging season 4. I will wait until others finish to share more. But what a fantastic season/series. I really hope Amazon brings back Bosch next year. 

They received a two-season-renewal last year after season 3. I think I saw on Twitter / Instagram of Titus Welliver or Michael Connelly, that they just started work on season 5.

• Love 4

A few thoughts:

A) Whole Koreatown Killer arc kind of fizzled out, no? We get all these early season scenes following him around, then he gets turned into road pizza and Crate & Barrel discover his identity almost completely in the background. I would have preferred fewer scenes of Edgar's family and more scenes of this storyline.

B) I'm assuming they're leaving the fallout of the Black Guardian affair (the video presumably being made public) for next season, along with any repercussions for taking down Walker.

C) It's easy to see the show's budget limits sometimes: Did we see ANY non-Task Force detectives at Hollywood Homicide this season other than Crate, Barrel, and Pierce? You'd think they would have more than six detectives employed, if you count Robertson. The detective rooms in The ShieldLaw & Order and NYPD Blue always seemed like busy hubs of activity. Bosch's detective room always looks like everyone's taken off for a holiday weekend.

D) I'm a little curious as to whether Maddie sticks around. She's 18, so the show could play it either way with her living with her dad whilst attending Chapman U (which is located in Orange County) or living in the dorms and popping in a couple of times during the season.

E) With all respect to both Madison Lintz and the actress playing Edgar's estranged wife, I hope they lay off the home life vignettes next season. We know who these characters are and what makes them tick. A little home life goes a long way.

Edited by Sir RaiderDuck OMS
  • Love 10

They certianly did some odd pairings. This show has always kept my interest because it runs side by side storylines, but I hope for Harry that this time he “solves” his mother’s murder and finds some peace. I do expect him to ruffle a lot of feathers on his way to getting there.

I’m wondering the real reason that his ex’s husband Reggie is in Asia. I do get that Eleanor and him are breaking up but no clue as to why. Maddie was very clear about living with Harry but isn’t aware of the split. 

I take it that Eleanor didn’t follow Harry’s advice and get a job offer in writing in return for helping the FBI guy. 

Was happy to see the actor Jamie McShane (the cop who needed breath mints...a drunk?) playing a detective. I thought he was a good actor on the Bloodline series. 

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Was happy to see the actor Jamie McShane (the cop who needed breath mints...a drunk?) playing a detective. I thought he was a good actor on the Bloodline series. 

Except on an episode of House where it was evidence of an infection from poor dental care

24 minutes ago, Raja said:

Except on an episode of House where it was evidence of an infection from poor dental care

Eww. Funny that his teeth always look so bad but they look good on his head shot. Didn’t see that episode of House

I only began to watch this 10-12 days ago and have been trying to avoid real life and immerse myself in it. I've finally caught up with it and have begun season 4. It’s a great show. Very deliberate, like Bosch himself. 

It was so sad to see the look on Maddie’s face as she realized some of what’s going on with Reggie. 

Wasnt the KTK the guy that was involved (hurt) in the hit and run? 

So much corruption. J Edgar is like a bloodhound on a scent. 

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

Wasnt the KTK the guy that was involved (hurt) in the hit and run? 

At this point everyone who was watching the Koreatown Killer's random kills over the show's seasons knew that. Crate and Barrel just saw the gun at the hit and run crime scene

• Love 1

Thank goodness they have respirators now for the cops viewing an autopsy, but yes...mints (and Vick’s) are great for helping to quell gagging from strong odors  

@Prevailing Wind If we are talking about the first scene we saw Sheenan being offered the mints I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree because I strongly think that he had a drinking problem. Keep watching and you will see more of it. 

• Love 1

Having never read the books I came into this with no preconceived notions, but I bet that those books were page turners. 

I was very happy to read upthread that this has been renewed for a season 5. I just couldn’t stop watching save to come over here and post after a lot of the episodes. I missed having someone to banter with as there was very little to no activity on the Bosch threads. 

I’m happy for Bosch that he now has final closure on his mother’s death. 

See y'all next season. 

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I was so happy for Crate and Barrel. Was it made public? 

I wonder why there were no rats in the tunnel. Bosch may be a lone wolf in his tactics but he does get the jobs done. 

Off screen? I don't see how you can't go public with the death of a suspected serial killer and the closing of the case. But that doesn't mean press conferences and Crate and Barrel being upheld as heroes of Los Angeles. After all they did not track him down and arrest him. With the larger story going on about the torture and what everyone thought was the police assassination of a civil rights attorney.

Few Los Angeles based stories take place below ground and you never hear about rats that don't fear people. Maybe they are around the growing homeless tent cities but it never occurred to me to think hey no rats that might be standard in a NYPD based show.