Type keyword(s) to search

Bosch: Legacy - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, GussieK said:

Wo, what time did you start?  We just did episode one this evening. More tomorrow. It’s so good!  I love these characters and actors so much!  There’s one funny moment, when an undercover cop says to Jamie Hector “he’s like Stringer Bell. You know, on The Wire. Did you ever watch The Wire?”  Bwah ha ha. 

I loved that! J. Edgar (aka Marlow, who scared the hell out of me with his black shark eyes) answered, “Yeah, I binge-watched it.”

• Love 7
9 hours ago, GussieK said:

Wo, what time did you start?  We just did episode one this evening. More tomorrow. 

We watched the first episode around 7:30 am, then took a break for our usual walk inside the mall.  We came home, did our minimal household chores, and then we plopped in front of the TV until we were all the way through the season.

We don't delay anything these days.  I'm 74, hubby is 80.  You never know how many days you have left, so we fill each one with things we don't want to miss!

• Love 14
(edited)
11 hours ago, GussieK said:

There’s one funny moment, when an undercover cop says to Jamie Hector “he’s like Stringer Bell. You know, on The Wire. Did you ever watch The Wire?”  Bwah ha ha. 

It seemed out of place in this series. Might as well have gone to Chief Irving. Although in the previously on recap LT Billets did bring up "juking the stats"

Edited by Raja
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

We watched the first episode around 7:30 am, then took a break for our usual walk inside the mall.  We came home, did our minimal household chores, and then we plopped in front of the TV until we were all the way through the season.

We don't delay anything these days.  I'm 74, hubby is 80.  You never know how many days you have left, so we fill each one with things we don't want to miss!

I know what you mean. I’m 66 and I have cancer. Sort of in remission now. There was a time where I feared I would not get to see the final season of The Americans. 

• Love 13
15 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Just binged all of Season 7.  It was AWESOME.  Every episode better than the one before . . . and episodes 7 and 8 are the best ever.

I loved it too, but will wait for more people to finish the season for more specific discussion of plot points

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, WearyTraveler said:

I loved it too, but will wait for more people to finish the season for more specific discussion of plot points

Thanks. I will refrain from reading more here until I finish now that I know there’s just one thread. 

• Love 2

I started it last night and finished it before going to bed.  I love that the episodes are about 40 minutes long.  I feel like I've barely started an episode before it's over.  This series is about six hours total.  Easily done in one day/night with the will to do so.

It was a great final season but the only comfort for me is that there will be more with the new show. I do wonder if Maddie is going to continue on her path or go back to what she was doing in order to incorporate Honey Chandler into the stories.

The Wire joke was a bit meta but I think they just decided to have fun with their last season. I was impressed with how they managed to bring back past characters for appearances and made it make sense within the context of the stories.

• Love 7
20 hours ago, GussieK said:

Wo, what time did you start?  We just did episode one this evening. More tomorrow. It’s so good!  I love these characters and actors so much!  There’s one funny moment, when an undercover cop says to Jamie Hector “he’s like Stringer Bell. You know, on The Wire. Did you ever watch The Wire?”  Bwah ha ha. 

We binged it in 2 nights.  And I LOVED that joke.  I had to remind Mr. Max why I was laughing.

7 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

It was a great final season but the only comfort for me is that there will be more with the new show. I do wonder if Maddie is going to continue on her path or go back to what she was doing in order to incorporate Honey Chandler into the stories.

The Wire joke was a bit meta but I think they just decided to have fun with their last season. I was impressed with how they managed to bring back past characters for appearances and made it make sense within the context of the stories.

I was very surprised with all of the past characters.  I had to stop and think "Oh, yeah, that's the guy from season one!"  But it was great.  And the ending scene had us cracking up.

Looking forward to the spin-off, but I wish it hadn't been announced at least until a month or so after the final season.  It took away some of the tension.

• Love 4
On 6/25/2021 at 8:55 PM, GussieK said:

I loved it. I like when shows acknowledge TV exists in their reality, and to me it seems an apt comparison for a cop to make.

On 6/26/2021 at 5:54 PM, madmax said:

We binged it in 2 nights.  And I LOVED that joke.  I had to remind Mr. Max why I was laughing.

I was very surprised with all of the past characters.  I had to stop and think "Oh, yeah, that's the guy from season one!"  But it was great.  And the ending scene had us cracking up.

Looking forward to the spin-off, but I wish it hadn't been announced at least until a month or so after the final season.  It took away some of the tension.

I liked the appearances of past characters. It was elegantly done. I hadn't realized there is going to be a spin off, so that makes me happy.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I loved it. I like when shows acknowledge TV exists in their reality, and to me it seems an apt comparison for a cop to make.

I liked the appearances of past characters. It was elegantly done. I hadn't realized there is going to be a spin off, so that makes me happy.

I really liked the season six recap at the beginning, as it reminded me how good that season was.  I was able to remember the story lines even at such a long remove.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, GussieK said:

I really liked the season six recap at the beginning, as it reminded me how good that season was.  I was able to remember the story lines even at such a long remove.

Yes, that was very useful to me. It didn't occur to me to rewatch season 6, which is something I generally do. The recap gave me all I needed.

59 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

The problem becomes that everybody should be joking about Marlo and Daniels before hand like Stargate SG-1 did with O'Neill looking like MacGyver

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I liked the joke but I think the issue is that the person making the joke about binging it starred in The Wire.  As did Irving.  So it was a bit of an in joke that could potentially pull a viewer out of the Bosch world a bit in the way Game of Thrones might not.

• Love 3

Speaking of hidden gems.  Season 6, Episode 10 (towards the beginning of the episode).  Right after Harry puts down the file of the dead girl, a guy in a plaid shirt is shown walking between the cubicles, and Vega says "Hi, Michael."

Michael Connolly.  

• Useful 5
  • Love 3
(edited)

Decent final season to a good-but-not-great show (i.e. I doubt I'll ever watch it again, but I totally plan to watch the spinoff). My biggest complaint was the Billets storyline. I understand the producers wanting to make a point about sexual harassment in the workplace, but when the two other plotlines are dealing with murders, a plotline about some writing on a car windshield and a photoshopped picture just doesn't measure up. It never felt like Billets was genuinely at risk and the "There's an allegation against you" scene seemed like it was thrown in at the last minute because the showrunners realized how low the stakes were. The final season was two episodes shorter than the others, and the Billets plot could have used that additional runtime.

Edited by Sir RaiderDuck OMS
  • Love 4

Having been involved in a situation of workplace bullying, here are my thoughts. 

By ridiculing Grace, a Lieutenant in the police force, they were demeaning her in the eyes of everyone who saw that photoshopped picture.  THAT is what they would see every time they were talking with her.  It is difficult to be seen as a person due respect when they are the object of that level of ridicule.

Her job still needed to be done, up to and including the need to direct the work of some of those who had seen that picture.  She had earned the right to be respected as a Lieutenant.  NO ONE should have to deal with something like that.  It would have been just as wrong if Grace were a file clerk in the basement of the building.  

The point that I took away was that - even in the face of a major distraction within the force - the homicides still needed to be investigated and solved.  Workplace harassment doesn't stop the need for the work to be done, but it should be done without such blatant violation of workplace policies and - in a broader context - a violation of the civil rights of the person being demeaned.

• Love 15
On 6/5/2021 at 7:41 AM, AZChristian said:

...Barry Livingston.  Remember him?...

Turns out he played a medical examiner on three episodes of Bosch.  I pulled up one of the episodes to watch his scene.  NO WAY would I have thought, "Gee, he looks familiar.  I wonder who that is."

More surprising for me was seeing Stephen Caffrey (one of the more memorable villains from the later seasons of Columbo I thought) showing up as a jeweler in this last season.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I've always liked that cases were balanced by workplace politics.  I think it's what makes the pace of the show work for me.  

Some of the issues involve heavy investigation.  And then there are the comedic moments when a serial killer is caught by Crate and Barrel because they were involved in a bike accident.

• Love 7

My husband and I finished the whole season this weekend. Each episode went by very quickly and we're sad that it's done but will definitely be watching the spinoff. 

I thought it was clever of them to set this in January 2020 to avoid having to deal with any masks or any Covid restrictions onscreen but I'm wondering if they will show post-pandemic L.A. Will they acknowledge that some Covid precautions will still be taken (people walking around with masks etc...) even in a mostly vaccinated and open city? They showed Maddie watching a news report that mentioned the early cases of Covid so clearly they are acknowledging that this exists not just ignoring it as it seems some TV shows are. I imagine with the new show involving Honey Chandler that it would have to be set several months later no matter what anyway so that she would have had time to recover from her injuries. 

I wonder if Maddie will continue with LAPD application or will Bosch's actions somehow impact her prospects or she will change her mind about wanting to join. Maybe she'll decide to apply for the FBI instead, like her mother. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, GiandujaPie said:

I wonder if Maddie will continue with LAPD application or will Bosch's actions somehow impact her prospects or she will change her mind about wanting to join. Maybe she'll decide to apply for the FBI instead, like her mother. 

This will probably depend on whether IMDB has the financial resources to bring Madison Lintz in, and whether she wants to keep playing the role. I doubt they'll have a huge budget, and Michael Connolly, Titus Welliver and Mimi Rogers will probably take most of it.

11 minutes ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

This will probably depend on whether IMDB has the financial resources to bring Madison Lintz in, and whether she wants to keep playing the role. I doubt they'll have a huge budget, and Michael Connolly, Titus Welliver and Mimi Rogers will probably take most of it.

From one of the articles I Googled about the new show:

"The Bosch spin-off series of the Amazon Prime show will star Titus Welliver as Detective Harry Bosch, Madison Lintz as Maddie Bosch, and Mimi Rogers as Honey Chandler. Other characters from the long-running Amazon crime drama can also be expected to crossover to the IMDb TV Original series in lead and supporting roles, as the show continues to adapt storylines from Michael Connelly’s best-selling novels."

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, GiandujaPie said:

I thought it was clever of them to set this in January 2020 to avoid having to deal with any masks or any Covid restrictions onscreen

I forgot to say how happy I was that this wasn't set in the midst of the pandemic.  

I'm sure the spin-off will take place long after.  I hope.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

Why would Madison Lintz command a big salary?  She hasn’t done much in the past decade other than Bosch.

Either way, she is reported to be in the spin-off.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I was pleased that Grace trounced those two assholes & Cooper.  

We literally cheered and "high-fived" each other when those buffoons were led out in handcuffs.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
15 minutes ago, Dminches said:

Why would Madison Lintz command a big salary?  She hasn’t done much in the past decade other than Bosch.

Either way, she is reported to be in the spin-off.

My guess would be union rules. She might be a child star who grew up on screen but it was in a continuing role in the same franchise. And some other young woman playing a similar role would be cheaper 

2 hours ago, Raja said:

My guess would be union rules. She might be a child star who grew up on screen but it was in a continuing role in the same franchise. And some other young woman playing a similar role would be cheaper 

Possibly.  But I think that's why we have a spinoff.  They basically get to shed the other regular characters who might cost more.  If they wanted to save money, it'd be easier to not take on Mimi Rogers than get rid of Madison.  They don't need Honey Chandler for Bosch to be a PI.

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Possibly.  But I think that's why we have a spinoff.  They basically get to shed the other regular characters who might cost more.  If they wanted to save money, it'd be easier to not take on Mimi Rogers than get rid of Madison.  They don't need Honey Chandler for Bosch to be a PI.

No they don't, but I look forward to their new dynamic. It is  interesting now when they are in opposition. When Honey Chandler defended Bosch, they were pretty amazing  working together.

Edited by javaluvr
grammar
(edited)
38 minutes ago, javaluvr said:

No they don't, but I look forward to their new dynamic. It is an interesting now when they are in opposition. When Honey Chandler defended Bosch, they were pretty amazing  working together.

Right.  But I was just speaking from a cost saving perspective POV if that was the concern with Madison. It'd be cheaper to keep Madison and get a new lawyer played by a lesser known actress than to keep Mimi but recast Maddie.

Edited by Irlandesa

Overall, I really enjoyed it and burned through the episodes in 2 days.  There were a few things that didn't quite gel though.  There was a weird disconnect between Bosch/Jerry and Billets storyline. I just don't buy that Bosch, at least, wouldn't have offered his help to her. Considering how aware they were regarding the transfers to various areas and talked to her about it, it's odd that a direct attack on Billets would go unchallenged by Bosch.

Also, the bit where Jerry slips and mentions the witness felt a bridge too far for me. First, the baddies had the USBs with the video recording. They would have discovered Maddie anyway. Second, it's a bit irritating that rock bottom for Jerry comes in the form of putting Maddie at risk. Not jeopardizing his relationship with HIS kids or HIS job, but rather exposing his partner's kid to danger. That's didn't work for me. Plus, it seems odd to me that Maddie herself didn't remember that she would be readily identifiable on the video. It seems even stranger that Robertson or Bosch didn't even think to ask Maddie if she was ever in the video, especially considering how important her testimony would become.

Finally, I really hated how Donna Sobel was fridged. She was 100% brought back to have this barely there romance with Bosch and served ZERO purpose other than to get murdered to hurt Bosch and make him feel deep feelings about her death. I hate it when that happens and this was the only real sore spot for me. Like, she wasn't even allowed to try to be a hero? Try to save her own life? Realize they were going to the courthouse and make an attempt to crash the car and stop the hitman? Anything? Ack.

I did enjoy the callbacks to previous supporting characters being brought back here and there throughout the season. That was really well done.  I like that Maddie/Honey had bonded so much so that Maddie cried about missing her Mom.  I always like the Bosch/Maddie bits, so these moments were great too. I loved his muted response to her application to joining the LAPD.

I'm definitely going to watch the spinoff, and I like the idea of Bosch/Maddie working with Honey, but I'll miss seeing the regulars, especially Jerry.

• Love 10
8 hours ago, Vella said:

I'm definitely going to watch the spinoff, and I like the idea of Bosch/Maddie working with Honey, but I'll miss seeing the regulars, especially Jerry.

I’ll be watching the spin-off too, but will be missing Crate and Barrel. I’ve heard (lots of the actors are active on Twitter) that they plan to establish the new series and then start to bring in the past regulars for cameos. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Vella said:

Finally, I really hated how Donna Sobel was fridged. She was 100% brought back to have this barely there romance with Bosch and served ZERO purpose other than to get murdered to hurt Bosch and make him feel deep feelings about her death. I hate it when that happens and this was the only real sore spot for me. Like, she wasn't even allowed to try to be a hero? Try to save her own life? Realize they were going to the courthouse and make an attempt to crash the car and stop the hitman? Anything? Ack

I thought the fact that she parked in the wrong spot, and somewhat crookedly, was her being a hero at the end. She left a warning she knew Harry and his crew would work out.

• Love 15
On 6/28/2021 at 8:47 AM, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

Decent final season to a good-but-not-great show (i.e. I doubt I'll ever watch it again, but I totally plan to watch the spinoff). My biggest complaint was the Billets storyline. I understand the producers wanting to make a point about sexual harassment in the workplace, but when the two other plotlines are dealing with murders, a plotline about some writing on a car windshield and a photoshopped picture just doesn't measure up. It never felt like Billets was genuinely at risk and the "There's an allegation against you" scene seemed like it was thrown in at the last minute because the showrunners realized how low the stakes were. The final season was two episodes shorter than the others, and the Billets plot could have used that additional runtime.

The L.T.'s storyline was built to give her a win going out on the finale. They had previously stalled her career by failing the oral exam and really needed to shake things up to justify her moving up when Hollywood Homicide got disbanded.

If I was snatching time for other plot points I would have went with the Chief Irving family drama. Five more years as a LAPD chief probably means a pay cut in consulting and appearance fees so 5 more years is just a political re elected are winners and single term folks are losers that has been a thing since Thomas Jefferson beat John Adams in the rematch. Young baby coming home was just a time suck.

• Love 1
On 7/3/2021 at 1:00 AM, Vella said:

Also, the bit where Jerry slips and mentions the witness felt a bridge too far for me. First, the baddies had the USBs with the video recording. They would have discovered Maddie anyway. Second, it's a bit irritating that rock bottom for Jerry comes in the form of putting Maddie at risk. Not jeopardizing his relationship with HIS kids or HIS job, but rather exposing his partner's kid to danger. That's didn't work for me. Plus, it seems odd to me that Maddie herself didn't remember that she would be readily identifiable on the video. It seems even stranger that Robertson or Bosch didn't even think to ask Maddie if she was ever in the video, especially considering how important her testimony would become.

This kinda bothered me too.  Maybe Maddie wouldn't have remembered that she appeared in the frame, but Robertson or Bosch didn't even ask if she was in the room when it was done, or if ANYONE else was in the room.

• Love 11

Watched the entire final season on Sunday and thought it was great. But I have a question--after the brief recap of S6, there was a note saying, "Five years later" which brought us to New Year's Eve, 2019. The Irvings have a preemie in the hospital--but didn't they find out they were expecting in S6? Where's that baby? Or did I miss hearing something about a miscarriage and this preemie is their first successful birth since they married?

Anyway, looking forward to the new show. Like others, I wonder if Maddie will become a cop, pull her application and apply for a PI license, or go back to working for Honey Chandler?

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, kimaken said:

Watched the entire final season on Sunday and thought it was great. But I have a question--after the brief recap of S6, there was a note saying, "Five years later" which brought us to New Year's Eve, 2019. The Irvings have a preemie in the hospital--but didn't they find out they were expecting in S6? Where's that baby? Or did I miss hearing something about a miscarriage and this preemie is their first successful birth since they married?

I just went back and looked at the beginning of Season 7 while having my second cup of coffee (in other words, I wasn't busy).

The placard that came up said "Four Months Later, New Year's Eve 2019."

• Love 5
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

The placard that came up said "Four Months Later, New Year's Eve 2019."

Thanks! I thought it weird that it would be such a big time jump but I didn't rewind to rewatch it; I was busy doing something else when it started so I only caught a glimpse and must have read "years" instead of months because it was starting with New Year's Eve, 2019.

• Love 2

I wonder if Maddie’s boyfriend will get COVID because he is a health care worker?

I also wonder who will be moving over to IMBD when the have a new season.

(edited)
13 hours ago, kimaken said:

Thanks! I thought it weird that it would be such a big time jump but I didn't rewind to rewatch it; I was busy doing something else when it started so I only caught a glimpse and must have read "years" instead of months because it was starting with New Year's Eve, 2019.

And therein lies the entire reason the Irvings’ baby had to be a preemie. Otherwise, they would have been into covid and would have had to deal with it in show. Very poignant, seeing Irving hold the tiny little baby with the sweetest little face. That was my immediate thought when the premature birth was revealed, aha, they’re choosing to avoid a storyline dealing with the pandemic!

Edited by Daff
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
(edited)

This show kind of blows. Bosche makes half-assed guesses and ignores anything that could mean he is wrong, as soes the show. As soon as we learned he had a daughter I started the countdown to the kidnapping, and then FF through that trope. Then “you killed our son.” Good grief. Made it midway second season but don’t understand how this show had seven seasons. 

Edited by Ottis

There is no name for the spinoff yet but if you want to learn more about it, you can read this article. It lists the book the show will be based on so I guess they're going to continue with that tradition.

I thought there'd be somewhat of a delay but I saw a picture of Welliver already filming the series so we might get it sooner rather than later--at least it may be on the annual schedule we had been on.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Ottis said:

This show kind of blows. Bosche makes half-assed guesses and ignores anything that could mean he is wrong, as soes the show. As soon as we learned he had a daughter I started the countdown to the kidnapping, and then FF through that trope. Then “you killed our son.” Good grief. Made it midway second season but don’t understand how this show had seven seasons. 

Interesting. Are you a fan of The Wire, Homicide or any other gritty crime show? I like this show but there are several superior cop shows. The writing was sometimes not up to snuff.

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, laprin said:

Interesting. Are you a fan of The Wire, Homicide or any other gritty crime show? I like this show but there are several superior cop shows. The writing was sometimes not up to snuff.

I agree about the sometimes ridiculous writing, where our hero i(and now Ms. Perfect Maddie) s never wrong , but I attribute it to Titus Welliver being EP. 

• Love 1
On 7/8/2021 at 2:06 PM, mjc570 said:

I agree about the sometimes ridiculous writing, where our hero i(and now Ms. Perfect Maddie) s never wrong , but I attribute it to Titus Welliver being EP. 

I don’t agree that she is “never wrong.”  There was the one scene in the boyfriend’s apartment after the garage shooting.  They were eating dinner. Her boyfriend wanted to talk to her about what she went through and she overreacted and started to call an Uber to leave.  I never viewed her as being without flaws.  Didn’t she take some information from Chandler’s office in season 6 and tell her Dad?

On 7/8/2021 at 1:12 PM, laprin said:

A lot of people thought seasons 4 and 5 of the The Wire were weaker than 1-3.  Personally I really liked all the seasons but that isn’t universal.

52 minutes ago, Dminches said:

I don’t agree that she is “never wrong.”  There was the one scene in the boyfriend’s apartment after the garage shooting.  They were eating dinner. Her boyfriend wanted to talk to her about what she went through and she overreacted and started to call an Uber to leave.  I never viewed her as being without flaws.  Didn’t she take some information from Chandler’s office in season 6 and tell her Dad.

She did indeed. I'm not sure I get the take on her, even though she's definitely not one of my favorite characters.

I got into Bosch because of the books. I find that there's something indefinable for me as to what I'll like and won't - even if they're the same genre and generally rated as brilliant. I need, I think, to find at least one character very interesting (for good or for bad). And that varies with the shows (and can even vary when I rewatch a show - what grabbed me the first time around may not grab me the second time).