Type keyword(s) to search

Bosch: Legacy - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 11/22/2019 at 10:23 AM, Irlandesa said:

Can I ask where you saw that they got a 7?

I follow Life in the Honeywagon (Kelly Collins Lintz) on Twitter. It’s done by the mother of Madison, the young woman who plays Harry’s daughter Maddie on the series. She was happy that her daughter is working on season 7. 

437EE07F-20B6-4095-A208-8B35511759EB.thumb.jpeg.d542ad0f7a18757d938f02515f93a7ab.jpeg

Bosch Season 6 wrapped yesterday. 

• Love 6
On 4/30/2019 at 4:32 PM, archer1267 said:

Can someone suggest a good recap web site for S5? I'm confused about a couple of subplots and want to get myself up to speed before going further. Thanks!

I'd like an answer to this as well (if there is one).

One thing that has me puzzled - why fly these people out to the desert compound?  What are they doing there other than laying around waiting for their next dose? 

And, clear out in the desert compound, they sure got a quick delivery of the daily newspaper with Bosch's photo.  Now there's some service!

• Love 2
On 2/24/2020 at 1:00 PM, roughing it said:

One thing that has me puzzled - why fly these people out to the desert compound?  What are they doing there other than laying around waiting for their next dose? 

I think it was clearer in the book.

Each day they were flown from the compound to a different part of southern California. They worked the docs/pharmacies in that area that day and went back to the compound. I think the idea was with the population density and the number of G/A airports, they could work a different area each day, but only hit a particular area once or twice a month. Thus not calling a lot of attention to the fact that a clinic or pharmacy was filling a lot of scripts.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
On 2/25/2020 at 12:36 PM, curbcrusher said:

I think it was clearer in the book.

Each day they were flown from the compound to a different part of southern California. They worked the docs/pharmacies in that area that day and went back to the compound. I think the idea was with the population density and the number of G/A airports, they could work a different area each day, but only hit a particular area once or twice a month. Thus not calling a lot of attention to the fact that a clinic or pharmacy was filling a lot of scripts.

Yes, all of this. And the idea of keeping them controlled and isolated in the desert between runs was that they couldn't escape. And if they had to kill one of them...well, it's a big desert.

• Love 2

I just finished season five. Really like this show! I think TW is excellent as Bosch. Scrappy, tough yet real in a way that makes me able to identify with him even though we have nothing in common. 

I also like how reined in the show is with dialogue. There are so many short but meaningful conversations, no speeches which I can’t stand. There’s an understated quality to much of what Bosch says and I noticed his daughter does it too. 

Anyway, I’m not explaining it well. What I’m trying to say is the show expects a lot from its audience while at the same time never talking down to us. The writers let us fill in a lot of the blanks, which I appreciate. 

I enjoyed Mimi Rogers performance too. She’s no-nonsense like Bosch. 

Forgive me if this has been asked, but I don’t know much about TW. Is he a Brit? The first name doesn’t like an American. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Sweet-tea said:

I just finished season five. Really like this show! I think TW is excellent as Bosch. Scrappy, tough yet real in a way that makes me able to identify with him even though we have nothing in common. 

I also like how reined in the show is with dialogue. There are so many short but meaningful conversations, no speeches which I can’t stand. There’s an understated quality to much of what Bosch says and I noticed his daughter does it too. 

Anyway, I’m not explaining it well. What I’m trying to say is the show expects a lot from its audience while at the same time never talking down to us. The writers let us fill in a lot of the blanks, which I appreciate. 

I enjoyed Mimi Rogers performance too. She’s no-nonsense like Bosch. 

Forgive me if this has been asked, but I don’t know much about TW. Is he a Brit? The first name doesn’t like an American. 

Wiki says from Connecticut and studied at NYU. I remember him as a street cop in the short lived Brooklyn South 

12 hours ago, dleighg said:

A little off-topic, but last night's Top Chef had a quick clip of this important locale from one of the earlier seasons of Bosch!

IMG-7271.JPG

They just did a scene in front of it on All Rise, too, and I thought of Bosch. 🙂

I'm just starting the new season - about 15 minutes into the first episode. One weird line I noticed. The chief asks a guy how his new life in Walnut Creek is. The guy looks embarrassed and says, "Nowhere quite so swanky. Petaluma."

I live about 20 minutes from Walnut Creek, and it's then about an hour more to Petaluma. Walnut Creek is a nice, upscale bedroom community. But it's not, like, Beverly Hills or anything! And Petaluma is great, right off 101 in Sonoma county. Super quaint and a touristy daytrip-type destination. It's freaking wine country, for God's sake! Not at all the way someone would speak about those two towns.

• Love 1
On 4/23/2019 at 11:52 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

Apparently, I've seen Welliver in a bunch of stuff, but never really noticed him until he played Farley Kolt on Grimm - a shades of grey guy who may have been a good guy, may have been a bad guy. I kept hoping for his character to return, but he never did.

And now I can't read the Connelly books without picturing him as Bosch.

Try listening to the audiobooks. Titus reads them now. So much fun. 

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, Duke2801 said:

So how much time do we think has elapsed between the end of last season and the start of this one? Seems like Maddie is out of college.. or is she still interning? 

11 months have elapsed since the end of S5.  Maddie is interning with Honey Chandler.  Last season Honey suggested it to Harry, so Maddie could see the opposite side of the law, defense as opposed to the prosecutors she interned with the previous year. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Another excellent season!!

Would have liked a little more from Detectives Pierce and Vega than the HR issue.

Would loved to have seen Heather push the button.

Sad what happened to Wise and Clayton.

Quick thinking Barrel to the rescue in the courthouse. For a moment, I thought Bosch didn't survive. It was funny Bosch and Maddie just ignored the bailiff after the blast.

I wonder If J. Edgar will be haunted for what he did?

• Love 1

Really good season; although I kept expecting a twist with the female FBI agent that never came.  (I was expecting it to be revealed she was the wife's lover or something like that mainly because I recognize the actress.)

I hate that I watch these in one day but I can't stop myself. And I hate that we only get one more season.  There's nothing I don't love about this series. I think it's shot beautifully. It does a great job of weaving in multiple cases so the stories move forward nicely.

The finale was a little sadder than in previous seasons.

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I think it's shot beautifully

I mean-- those shots of the helicopter over LA were amazing. I also watch this much faster than I should-- I just can't stop

• Love 7

3 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

although I kept expecting a twist with the female FBI agent that never came. 

Me too.

Also, I thought it was going to be Agent Brenner involved with wife and not Maxwell.

And the show must have set a record for how many times they used the word "Clear" in a season!

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 3

I especially love the night shots from Harry's back deck.  

Really good season, I like the maturity level they've given Maddie (minimal angst) and them keeping Honey, a strong but not bitchy woman, in a significant role.  Just too bad they didn't have a role for Ryan Hurst (Hector) to do some work for Honey.  I like his character.  

This season will definitely get a re-watch very soon.  

• Love 9

Ending the show with Season 7 is logical. Remember that a lot of long-running shows end with their seventh seasons because the standard TV show contract the creator and actors sign is a seven-year non-guaranteed deal. So if you're the network (or streaming service) and want to renew the show for the second through seventh seasons, you know what it will cost to bring back everyone. You simply have to tell them by a certain date, "We want you back for next season."

However, those contracts expire after the seventh season. If you want to bring back Bosch for its eighth season, you now have to negotiate new brand-new contracts with Michael Connelly, Titus Welliver, Madison Lintz, Jamie Hector, Amy Aquino, Lance Reddick and whoever else. And since the show has been a rating and critical success, they're all going to justifiably want more $$$. This is why, when you do have shows renewed past the seven-season mark, they often come with cast changes. The network can't afford what everyone is asking, so they keep the actors they deem most valuable and go scouting for replacement actors to play new characters.

• Useful 7

One thing that always strikes me-- when these guys are on a stake out that is not very far away, sitting there in their cars and they put a big pair of binoculars or a telephoto lens camera up-- do the bad guys never not notice this? 

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
On 4/17/2020 at 7:58 AM, dleighg said:

A little off-topic, but last night's Top Chef had a quick clip of this important locale from one of the earlier seasons of Bosch!

IMG-7271.JPG

Also the new HBO series Perry Mason has a mention of Angel’s Flight in the trailer. I must admit I’m eagerly anticipating.  Seems like a 1930s noir setting. 

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, dleighg said:

One thing that always strikes me-- when these guys are on a stake out that is not very far away, sitting there in their cars and they put a big pair of binoculars or a telephoto lens camera up-- do the bad guys never not notice this? 

I read in a non-fiction procedural that stakeout cars always try to park with the sun behind them, so any bad guy looking their way is looking into the sun & is less likely to catch site of a camera or binoculars.  Not sure what they do when the sun is directly overhead though....*LOL*

But yeah, the hardware usually seems pretty obvious.  

• Love 2
On 4/19/2020 at 1:35 PM, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

Ending the show with Season 7 is logical. Remember that a lot of long-running shows end with their seventh seasons because the standard TV show contract the creator and actors sign is a seven-year non-guaranteed deal. So if you're the network (or streaming service) and want to renew the show for the second through seventh seasons, you know what it will cost to bring back everyone. You simply have to tell them by a certain date, "We want you back for next season."

However, those contracts expire after the seventh season. If you want to bring back Bosch for its eighth season, you now have to negotiate new brand-new contracts with Michael Connelly, Titus Welliver, Madison Lintz, Jamie Hector, Amy Aquino, Lance Reddick and whoever else. And since the show has been a rating and critical success, they're all going to justifiably want more $$$. This is why, when you do have shows renewed past the seven-season mark, they often come with cast changes. The network can't afford what everyone is asking, so they keep the actors they deem most valuable and go scouting for replacement actors to play new characters.

Seems kind of like cutting off your nose to spite your face to me but then I'm not a Hollywood executive.

I follow Titus Welliver on Twitter and he's very engaged with his fans. He's even answered and liked a couple of my tweets over the years. He's very disappointed there won't be a Season 8. 

• Love 3
On 4/19/2020 at 8:32 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

I don't understand how they can look into a room and yell, "Clear!" when they haven't looked into the closets.

On 4/19/2020 at 9:01 AM, leighdear said:

And then when Bosch was defending J. Edgar with Avril's home having the same set up talking about the tactics of being seen  I had to laugh when he went in with that flashlight burning. The Sergeant's who instructed me at Fort Knox would have called me a shithead for such a move.

On 4/20/2020 at 5:45 AM, dleighg said:

Or when S.I.S., the LAPD undercover unit was setting up to catch the FBI agent but drove to the scene in a plain Ford Crown Victoria.

The bombing scene in the courtroom hall had to be directly from the novels where Bosch was a tunnel rat in Vietnam. TV turning him from a Gulf War vet caught in a ditch in the first season  to a Green Beret in Afghanistan 10 years a couple of season's later never felt right to me. Especially since they all work Hollywood Homicide and not "elite" R.H.D. There is serious talk in the Army now about all the "elite" status that Special Operations get in the press  and now they are building up UCMJ violations and convictions at a high rate.

That being said Barrel's instincts kicking in when seeing the Deputy and widow and really being the hero and not just finding a gun at an accident scene was nice.

• Love 7
46 minutes ago, Raja said:

That being said Barrel's instincts kicking in when seeing the Deputy and widow and really being the hero and not just finding a gun at an accident scene was nice.

I love him in this role, even more than as Frank the desk clerk in "ER".  he's 72 IRL, which seems past retirement age for LAPD field officers, but he pulls it off.  

• Love 6
3 hours ago, leighdear said:

I love him in this role, even more than as Frank the desk clerk in "ER".  he's 72 IRL, which seems past retirement age for LAPD field officers, but he pulls it off.  

It was a running plot on The Closer/Major Crimes, and now The Rookie, that LAPD unlike most agencies has no upper age limits. But then the older guys were basically monitoring the wiretap and forced into lighter duties.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, Raja said:

It was a running plot on The Closer/Major Crimes, and now The Rookie, that LAPD unlike most agencies has no upper age limits. But then the older guys were basically monitoring the wiretap and forced into lighter duties.

And so they should. Experience is a priceless asset. Those with tons of it should be utilized in non-demanding situations even after retirement to supplement pensions. 

ETA: I don't know the inner workings of police depts. so this may even be in practice today, IRL.

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, preeya said:

And so they should. Experience is a priceless asset. Those with tons of it should be utilized in non-demanding situations even after retirement to supplement pensions. 

ETA: I don't know the inner workings of police depts. so this may even be in practice today, IRL.

Because of the numbers of Los Angeles police and firefighters who have "retired" and double dip as active officers is so high that is a reoccurring political issue local talk radio takes on.

I think it may have been touched on Bosch in an earlier season not The Closer/Major Crimes 

Edited by Raja
  • Love 3
On 4/22/2020 at 12:37 PM, preeya said:

My dad retired from LAPD when he was about 67. He had open heart surgery a few years earlier and said he was just too old to 'wrestle'. He was a good guy.

• Love 7

This show never disappoints and the recent seasons have diverged enough from the books that I don't feel like I'm watching something play out that I already know the ending to. 

I'm not surprised that they are ending after the next season given the contractual issues noted above as well as the fact that this likely isn't a cheap show to produce. I will miss it though. 

• Love 8
On 4/22/2020 at 10:27 AM, Raja said:

Or when S.I.S., the LAPD undercover unit was setting up to catch the FBI agent but drove to the scene in a plain Ford Crown Victoria.

Yep, quite a few Crown Vics in this show, unusual for a car that's been out of production for a few years.  I always thought a good undercover car would be a totally tricked out Dodge Charger, since that model is a different animal, a car popular with both LEO departments and the general public.  If it would really be tricked out, could probably fool even some halfway savvy skels who would make a plain unmarked Charger in a heartbeat.  Then the department could just include it in the order for markeds and unmarkeds.  I suspect they mostly use confiscations anyway of non-PD models.

• Love 1
On 4/20/2020 at 6:32 AM, GussieK said:

Also the new HBO series Perry Mason has a mention of Angel’s Flight in the trailer. I must admit I’m eagerly anticipating.  Seems like a 1930s noir setting. 

LOL, they were building this when I worked downtown.  I kept wishing it would open.  There are so many noire, old Hollywood settings, especially if you walk in some of the "less desirable" areas because no one has gotten hold of those buildings yet to tear them down.  

Sometimes I just liked walking around.  It's not a great area, but in my experience if you're not looking for trouble, it's the middle of the day and you're not looking like a mark, no one will bother you.  Most people there do not want to bring on police scrutiny.  

• Useful 1
On 4/18/2020 at 5:49 PM, Irlandesa said:

Really good season; although I kept expecting a twist with the female FBI agent that never came.  (I was expecting it to be revealed she was the wife's lover or something like that mainly because I recognize the actress.)

I hate that I watch these in one day but I can't stop myself. And I hate that we only get one more season.  There's nothing I don't love about this series. I think it's shot beautifully. It does a great job of weaving in multiple cases so the stories move forward nicely.

The finale was a little sadder than in previous seasons.

LOL, me too.  Mostly because in that scene where she shot her partner there was a shot of them looking at each other, almost like he nodded at her....like they had an understanding.....and then she shot him.   So I thought she would somehow be involved and killed her partner because he was a loose end.  

On 4/27/2020 at 12:52 PM, MicheleinPhilly said:

This show never disappoints and the recent seasons have diverged enough from the books that I don't feel like I'm watching something play out that I already know the ending to. 

I'm not surprised that they are ending after the next season given the contractual issues noted above as well as the fact that this likely isn't a cheap show to produce. I will miss it though. 

I'm bummed.  I love this show because it's good and it's consistent. I know what I'm gonna get, it's going to be a good story, solid acting and jazzy tunes.  

What I'm not going to get is fetish amputee porn followed by some weird dream sequences in a casino....yeah, I'm looking at you Goliath.  

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, RealReality said:

LOL, me too.  Mostly because in that scene where she shot her partner there was a shot of them looking at each other, almost like he nodded at her....like they had an understanding.....and then she shot him.   So I thought she would somehow be involved and killed her partner because he was a loose end.  

I'm bummed.  I love this show because it's good and it's consistent. I know what I'm gonna get, it's going to be a good story, solid acting and jazzy tunes.  

What I'm not going to get is fetish amputee porn followed by some weird dream sequences in a casino....yeah, I'm looking at you Goliath.  

Great season.  We rationed out about three episodes at a time but still watched in about a week.  At times we think this is better than the books.  The book versons sometimes have plot holes, but these shows do not.  Jerry will carry that guilt forever.  The Chief is a good guy but had a secret.  He also in the last season almost cratered Bosch by stealing that photograph that implicated the Chief himself in some evidence tampering, as best we can tell.  Great show all around.  We'll probably have to wait at least two years for the final season.

• Love 6
On 4/19/2020 at 9:01 AM, leighdear said:

They are beautiful. When there are day shots, I can't help but wonder what the view is now. I hear the smog's reduced some. It must be a lovely view in the daytime too, for the time being.

On 4/22/2020 at 8:34 AM, leighdear said:

He definitely looked a lot older this season, but I love his character, and I love (not being young anymore) that his and his partner's experience is not just respected, but help save the day.

6 hours ago, RealReality said:

I spent a couple of episodes thinking that - but it may be a holdover from the actress playing a sketchy woman on Better Call Saul.

I read the Bosch novels quite  a while ago and haven't kept up (maybe I'll have a re-read), so each story is pretty fresh to me.

I figured J's story wasn't entirely true, but I hoped it was. I hate to see him with that burden. 

I also liked Maddie a lot more this year, not that I ever disliked her.

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

They are beautiful. When there are day shots, I can't help but wonder what the view is now. I hear the smog's reduced some. It must be a lovely view in the daytime too, for the time being.

I figured J's story wasn't entirely true, but I hoped it was. I hate to see him with that burden. 

I also liked Maddie a lot more this year, not that I ever disliked her.

It reminded me of how Cop Rock ended. Not guilty but the cop did murder a surrendering suspect. i haven't read many Bosch books but j. Edgar's actions seemed like something Crazy Lloyd Hopkins (James Woods in Cop) from James Ellroy would do.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Raja said:

It reminded me of how Cop Rock ended. Not guilty but the cop did murder a surrendering suspect. i haven't read many Bosch books but j. Edgar's actions seemed like something Crazy Lloyd Hopkins (James Woods in Cop) from James Ellroy would do.

I read the books so long ago, I don't even remember anyone but Bosch. So that works in my favor some of the time.

• Like 1
On 5/3/2020 at 5:14 AM, RealReality said:

LOL, they were building this when I worked downtown.  I kept wishing it would open.  There are so many noire, old Hollywood settings, especially if you walk in some of the "less desirable" areas because no one has gotten hold of those buildings yet to tear them down.  

Sometimes I just liked walking around.  It's not a great area, but in my experience if you're not looking for trouble, it's the middle of the day and you're not looking like a mark, no one will bother you.  Most people there do not want to bring on police scrutiny.  

Oh my gosh. I used to work in downtown LA and the trolley was a distant memory at the time. I used to hoof it up and down those stairs every day. When I started watching this show I was like, "Really? REALLY? A damn trolley? I wish!" 🙂

• LOL 1
  • Love 1