Type keyword(s) to search

Bosch: Legacy - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Watching ep. 9, with Bosch & Ida Porter, it dawns on me - while they didn't have scenes together in Grimm, Welliver played the ex-fiance of "Aunt Marie" (Burton).

I used to like Maddie. What the hell happened to her? She's insufferable now.

• Love 2

I mostly liked this season and am glad it's back.  I didn't love how it chose the end the season with a capital B Big cliffhanger. 

Other seasons have teased the next season but nothing so dramatic as a main character in peril.

But I should have known.  I thought it strange who they cast as the apparent rapist.  It's not that he's a huge star but he's big enough to have a more significant role than just guy who answers a phone and buys food at the food truck.

• Love 3
(edited)

Finished all 10 eps. Not as good as the original but better than the police procedurals currently on my watch list. Harry is Harry and I'll always be a follower. 

I didn't like the cliffhanger. Mads is the weak link on the show.

I was surprised to see Michael Cudlitz in a very insignificant role.

As Arnold would say, "I'll be back!"

Afterthought question: How did the lurker/rapist get through that very small cut in the screen. Beyond that there were no signs of a struggle in the apartment. Then; how did they exit?? As I said above, I didn't like the cliffhanger; now I find it flawed.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 5

I couldn't believe that the season ends with that huge cliffhanger!  I hate cliffhangers!  I don't need them to come back for the the season.  So how long will we have to wait?  Sigh...

• Love 3

I had originally opted to not watch the whole series, as I didn't like the first episode much.  But . . . Bosch.

So we binged it yesterday and today.  Some of it wasn't bad, but that WHOLE last episode was just off.  Harry telling a cop and Honey to withhold evidence of a crime (the shooting at the guy who shot the cop)????  Just because he didn't want Maddie to have to, oh, act like a cop and testify about a police action in which she was involved?  Nope.  Not swallowing that.

And then Harry stole the security guy's car with him in it (GTA and kidnapping)?  Not to mention the assault on the guy????  So PIs are allowed to commit crimes????

I thought the part about the secretary killing Whitney Vance was interesting.  

But now Maddie has been kidnapped by a city inspector (how many of them are there?) who not only was the suspected serial rapist, but just HAPPENED to stop at the same food truck as she and her TO.  Come on, writers . . . do better.

And Madison Lintz is about tied with Louisa Jacobson  (The Gilded Age) as worst young female actress in a streamed series.

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
51 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I had originally opted to not watch the whole series, as I didn't like the first episode much.  But . . . Bosch.

So we binged it yesterday and today.  Some of it wasn't bad, but that WHOLE last episode was just off.  Harry telling a cop and Honey to withhold evidence of a crime (the shooting at the guy who shot the cop)????  Just because he didn't want Maddie to have to, oh, act like a cop and testify about a police action in which she was involved?  Nope.  Not swallowing that.

And then Harry stole the security guy's car with him in it (GTA and kidnapping)?  Not to mention the assault on the guy????  So PIs are allowed to commit crimes????

But now Maddie has been kidnapped by a city inspector (how many of them are there?) who not only was the suspected serial rapist, but just HAPPENED to stop at the same food truck as she and her TO.  Come on, writers . . . do better.

And Madison Lintz is about tied with Louisa Jacobson  (The Gilded Age) as worst young female actress in a streamed series.

I believe there are 100-ish inspectors with LA Building and Safety if you include the chiefs and vacancies.  I think there was an implication that he was stalking Madi, so it might not have been a coincidence that he was at her lunch spot.

I was super annoyed by the cliff hanger.  There was one at the end of the last 2 episode block too and probably at least some of the prior ones as well (like the billionaire slumping in his wheel chair).  So I was thinking "is this how they are doing it now?  So annoying" and I was even more annoyed when I realized this was the season ender. 

• Like 1
  • Love 5
53 minutes ago, david gideon said:

I guess I'm the only one who likes Maddie. I hope nothing too awful happens to her over the hiatus.

I like her too.  I've enjoyed watching her learn her job.

• Love 7
14 hours ago, AZChristian said:

And then Harry stole the security guy's car with him in it (GTA and kidnapping)?  Not to mention the assault on the guy????  So PIs are allowed to commit crimes????.

Don't forget the whole season started off with Harry breaking & entering.  I do not like what they've done to both Harry and Maddie.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, AZChristian said:

In the end Bosh was about justice having to fall where the politicians, including the Chief of Police didn't want it to. To let the ex LAPD Commander who put an assasin onto a child walk away with just the threat of being water boarded seemed counter to the previous seasons. of course Bosch himself no longer had a badge to hide behind

• Love 2
15 hours ago, yourmomiseasy said:

I believe there are 100-ish inspectors with LA Building and Safety if you include the chiefs and vacancies.  I think there was an implication that he was stalking Madi, so it might not have been a coincidence that he was at her lunch spot.

Even so, why would she have seen an inspector's vehicle and assumed that it was the very guy she had talked to on the phone?  Other than asking him on the phone whether he worked that area frequently, she hadn't seemed to set up a meeting with him at the food truck.  As soon as she saw his vehicle pull in, she said, "I think that might be the inspector I talked to about the screen cutter."  She didn't say anything to her partner about having arranged to meet him there.  She just walked up to him and asked his name.  When she did, he didn't indicate they had made arrangements to meet.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Maddie has definitely been the weak link for me all season and she didn't endear herself to me during her conversation with Honey about ruining people's careers. 

Evidence was planted/moved to create a different narrative surrounding the shooting. Fuck that guy and his career. 

• Like 1
  • Love 5
On 5/27/2022 at 4:40 PM, catrice2 said:

I hope they re evaluate Maddie's importance to this series

I didn’t mind Maddie (and the actress) as a naive legal intern in the original Bosch, but this cop business is not working out and highlights her weak acting. I’m hoping she gets written out, or maybe a smaller role in a different career path.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Rickster said:

I didn’t mind Maddie (and the actress) as a naive legal intern in the original Bosch, but this cop business is not working out and highlights her weak acting. I’m hoping she gets written out, or maybe a smaller role in a different career path.

Exactly.  The character playing Maddie is not ready. She needs more work, school……idk..something more.  It’s awkward watching her.  It takes me out of the story.  

• Love 6
9 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Exactly.  The character playing Maddie is not ready. She needs more work, school……idk..something more.  It’s awkward watching her.  It takes me out of the story.  

I've never seen a cop - male or female - less physically imposing than Maddie.  She's so thin that it looks like a strong breeze would knock her over.  Can't imagine what someone trying to escape custody would do to her.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

I've never seen a cop - male or female - less physically imposing than Maddie.  She's so thin that it looks like a strong breeze would knock her over.  Can't imagine what someone trying to escape custody would do to her.  

I don't know there have been a long line of  supermodel thin actors playing TV police, soldiers and firefighters who would give Madison Lintz a run at that title. I think she is handicapped by playing the same role as a child

• Love 1
On 5/26/2022 at 9:13 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

I used to like Maddie. What the hell happened to her? She's insufferable now.

I think she is exactly the same as in Bosch. They don't seem to know what to do with her. She either is a mild counterpoint to some aspect of existing police culture, or seemingly afraid of something happening to her or her dad. It doesn't lead anywhere. She doesn't take a stand, or effect a change. She became a cop, not a lawyer. She became a "cop who cares" as a boot - how long will that last? 

And now they apparently did the thing I really hoped they wouldn't do - they put her in peril. I hope it is a feint and she is taking down the screen guy.

BTW, none of this is a knock on the actress. She is fine. It is her character and how she is written that I don't understand. It's the vague and very mild wisps of something that never materializes. 

On 5/28/2022 at 5:45 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

Don't forget the whole season started off with Harry breaking & entering.  I do not like what they've done to both Harry and Maddie.

I was slow to this, but I agree. And what I especially don't like is that Harry is all about doing the right thing until it involves his daughter - then he goes nuts fighting against the very thing he usually stands for. How would using Maddie's mandatory body cam footage be held against her? She wore it, turned it on, and it caught something. What choice did she have in any of that? If she testified, what will she testify to? "Yes, that is the direction I faced?"

• Love 6
25 minutes ago, Ottis said:

I think she is exactly the same as in Bosch. They don't seem to know what to do with her. She either is a mild counterpoint to some aspect of existing police culture, or seemingly afraid of something happening to her or her dad. It doesn't lead anywhere. She doesn't take a stand, or effect a change. She became a cop, not a lawyer. She became a "cop who cares" as a boot - how long will that last? 

And now they apparently did the thing I really hoped they wouldn't do - they put her in peril. I hope it is a feint and she is taking down the screen guy.

BTW, none of this is a knock on the actress. She is fine. It is her character and how she is written that I don't understand. It's the vague and very mild wisps of something that never materializes. 

I was slow to this, but I agree. And what I especially don't like is that Harry is all about doing the right thing until it involves his daughter - then he goes nuts fighting against the very thing he usually stands for. How would using Maddie's mandatory body cam footage be held against her? She wore it, turned it on, and it caught something. What choice did she have in any of that? If she testified, what will she testify to? "Yes, that is the direction I faced?"

It is one of those cases of trying to fit in a legacy source material story into the present when modern technology makes it unlikely to happen. The base S.I.S. story of the cop  unit that forces a shootout also is a blast from the past

• Like 1
(edited)
On 5/27/2022 at 3:56 PM, AZChristian said:

Oh, come on,  give Madison Lintz a LITTLE credit😂.  I do agree the actress is weak,  but I like Harry having a credible tie to the LAPD.

And are we to belive that there are cameras no where in 2022?   Seriously Honey would have been so busted at that shipping container place,  both inside and out of the container. 

Edited by mansonlamps
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, mansonlamps said:

And are we to belive that there are cameras no where in 2022? 

My small town has CCTV all over downtown. When my boss' car was broken into at the library, she told the police she had just made a deposit at the bank & then went to the library. The cops got the footage and, sure enough, perps followed her from the bank to the library, parked nearby, and when she went into the building, they smashed her window & stole that zippered bank pouch that ended up just having a deposit receipt in it.  They did eventually catch the perps.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1

I think the inspector has been stalking her....thus he appeared at the food truck.  It was not a coincidence.

As someone already mentioned, they don't seem to know where they are headed with Maddie.  I can believe she would be reluctant to in any way jeopardize any cop's job...including her own.  But they also want her to be tough enough to tell the rape victim basically her security system would be useless -- to get a shotgun and very large dog instead.

As to Maddie being skinny....most women who play cops, FBI agents, etc. on tv are very, very slender.  Not very realistic.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
18 hours ago, mansonlamps said:

Oh, come on,  give Madison Lintz a LITTLE credit😂.  I do agree the actress is weak,  but I like Harry having a credible tie to the LAPD.

This is why I wish they would have introduced Renee Ballard from Connelly's latest books. 

Obviously having the LAPD focus filtered through Maddie gives it more emotional gravitas for Harry, but it's just not working for me. I miss Jerry and LT. 

• Love 5

I was thinking about Bosch on Freeevee earlier today and came to the conclusion that this is the discount store version.  Everything has been downgraded from the Amazon Prime version.  

And, I think that one of the main problems is the writing.  The storylines just don't seem as cohesive and they don't flow as well.   Makes it difficult for the cast and the crew to try to salvage it.

• Like 3
  • Love 5

I love Bosch. I'd put up with almost anything to watch Bosch.

But Madison Lintz is just a terrible actress. I don't think it's just her role or the writing. She is like a wooden stick figure walking across my TV screen. They should have saved money on her salary by replacing her with an animatronic robot. The few viewers that would notice the difference would probably be happy for the change. Since she is a damsel in peril now in the cliffhanger, is it too much to ask that they actually use it to get rid of Maddie and bring on Renee?  It would be so wonderful.

Yes, the show is not as tightly written as the original. The retcon of Harry having been in the caves and tunnels of Tora Bora in Afghanistan is ridiculous.  In the books he was in Vietnam, and I understand that they moved the time period up so that doesn't work any more. But Afghanistan doesn't work either. 2003 was only 19 years ago. He was supposed to be in the Army and pre-LAPD?  In that case he wouldn't have met Maddie's mom yet much less fathered her. She is older than that now. And he is way too old now to have been the young soldier in Afghanistan that the story implies. The writers just should leave that whole aspect alone and move on. It's not necessary to the current series to bring it up and the timeline is just jarring. The earlier series mentioned the Gulf War as far as I remember and that would work but for the whole tunnel thing. Are there no other tunnels in the Gulf that he could lay claim to have been inside?  But Afghanistan?  A big no.

Like I said, I will follow Bosch along but these things really bug.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

I love Bosch. I'd put up with almost anything to watch Bosch.

But Madison Lintz is just a terrible actress. I don't think it's just her role or the writing. She is like a wooden stick figure walking across my TV screen. They should have saved money on her salary by replacing her with an animatronic robot. The few viewers that would notice the difference would probably be happy for the change. Since she is a damsel in peril now in the cliffhanger, is it too much to ask that they actually use it to get rid of Maddie and bring on Renee?  It would be so wonderful.

Yes, the show is not as tightly written as the original. The retcon of Harry having been in the caves and tunnels of Tora Bora in Afghanistan is ridiculous.  In the books he was in Vietnam, and I understand that they moved the time period up so that doesn't work any more. But Afghanistan doesn't work either. 2003 was only 19 years ago. He was supposed to be in the Army and pre-LAPD?  In that case he wouldn't have met Maddie's mom yet much less fathered her. She is older than that now. And he is way too old now to have been the young soldier in Afghanistan that the story implies. The writers just should leave that whole aspect alone and move on. It's not necessary to the current series to bring it up and the timeline is just jarring. The earlier series mentioned the Gulf War as far as I remember and that would work but for the whole tunnel thing. Are there no other tunnels in the Gulf that he could lay claim to have been inside?  But Afghanistan?  A big no.

Like I said, I will follow Bosch along but these things really bug.

They moved Bosch to Afghanistan in the third or fourth season when he had the face off with another veteran. In the first season he was a Gulf War veteran whose trench collapsed. So the retcon provided an expectation that he faced heavy close quarters combat

• Like 1

If they insist on using the backstory in current episodes and utilize Tora Bora as the tunnels, then they should forgo the date given on the screen for the flashbacks.  Declaring that it was 2003 made it impossible for me to handwave this bit of retcon. Or just stop referencing it. They don't need it. Let it go.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

If they insist on using the backstory in current episodes and utilize Tora Bora as the tunnels, then they should forgo the date given on the screen for the flashbacks.  Declaring that it was 2003 made it impossible for me to handwave this bit of retcon. Or just stop referencing it. They don't need it. Let it go.

I snarked at the let's call it the additional combat as a special operations reservist when it was introduced. To get near the source material they had to get the older man into combat which meant Panama, Somalia or the Gulf War for a young Bosch. But also needed something like a tunnel rat service so choose the Gulf and a trench. But the culture saw the Gulf War as mostly aerial war and too easy. 

I do remember a LAPD Sergeant being killed in action as a Marine reservist in Afghanistan and that is the direction they went with Bosch. A reservist in combat a second time in Afghanistan, that war is seen by the culture as being properly hard enough for the character's biography.

• Useful 1

It’s taking me forever to finish this season…..almost there.  

I get distracted by how much Mimi Rogers reminds me of Mary McDonald formerly from Major Crimes series and Meredith Viera, formerly with The View and The Today Show.  The mannerisms are so similar.  

I looked up the age of the actor who plays Bosch and discovered he’s only 60!  I was a little surprised.  To me, he and William Devane didn’t appear to be too far apart in years and Devane is in his 80’s. Lol. I’ve been a Devane fan since I was a kid.  He used to be very popular in TV movies, back when major networks had nighttime movies.  He was also on Knot’s landing. He has had a long career.  

• Like 1
On 5/27/2022 at 12:48 AM, preeya said:

Afterthought question: How did the lurker/rapist get through that very small cut in the screen. Beyond that there were no signs of a struggle in the apartment. Then; how did they exit?? As I said above, I didn't like the cliffhanger; now I find it flawed.

Not only that, why would he take Maddie somewhere?  He didn't do that with his other victims.

On 5/27/2022 at 4:56 PM, AZChristian said:

I called that as soon as she kept repeating "40 years" in one of the early episodes.

All in all, the series was good.  Not great, but good.  Lower production values, of course, and it really sucks that we probably won't see that gorgeous house again.

I didn't realize that was Welliver Jr. playing young  Harry.  I thought the actor did a good job copying his mannerisms.  I did tell Mr.  Max that the young half-brother grows up to be Matthew McConaughey. 😄

• Like 5
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

I don't think the inspector was stalking Maddie.  But as someone pointed out, they just talked on the phone, no reason for Maddie to 'recognize' him.  I think he thought Maddie was tailing him, which is why he apparently abducted her.  But knowing how 'cliffhangers' work, we'll see that she dragged him to the back shed or something, and it's resolved in the first few minutes of season 2.

I've read all the books, so it's fun when I see them played out, like the dna/oximiter.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jabRI said:

don't think the inspector was stalking Maddie.

When he was on the phone with her, you could see photos of her on his wall.  He was definitely stalking her.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 5/31/2022 at 10:38 AM, Ottis said:

She either is a mild counterpoint to some aspect of existing police culture, or seemingly afraid of something happening to her or her dad.

Maddie's fearfulness was striking, especially when she tried calling her father a few times and when she finally saw him told him he needs to pick up when she calls or tell her where he will be, because she is worried about something happening to him. I get that in one sense this is a realistic concern because of his line of work and the risks he takes, and because her mother was killed. But in another sense it is unrealistic for a young adult--especially one who lives independently and deals with dangerous situations herself--to be calling her father (or mother if alive) so often. Maybe it just seems that way because my experience with my daughter has been so different--since she left home for college and career, she has rarely initiated a call more than once a week (though she doesn't mind talking when I and her Dad call), and that's with her living far enough away that we can only visit 2-3 times a year (as opposed to Maddie seeing Bosch frequently). We have a good relationship, but she is an independent adult and doesn't feel the need to talk that often.  

On 5/31/2022 at 10:38 AM, Ottis said:
On 5/28/2022 at 7:45 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

I agree, and it's made it hard for me to root for Bosch this season. He's always walked up to the line and sometimes crossed it, but not to the degree that he has done in this storyline, and the motivation for his extreme actions this time is questionable.

Also, I understand that some cops may turn against Maddie if her testimony is used to help make a case against them, but if she wants to remain a cop she needs to learn to deal with that. More important, the unwillingness of good cops to speak out against bad cops has contributed to the corruption and racial injustice seen in too many police forces. That needs to change, and if Bosch and Maddie care about doing the right thing in other ways, they should care about that.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
On 6/11/2022 at 5:29 AM, Paloma said:

Also, I understand that some cops may turn against Maddie if her testimony is used to help make a case against them, but if she wants to remain a cop she needs to learn to deal with that. More important, the unwillingness of good cops to speak out against bad cops has contributed to the corruption and racial injustice seen in too many police forces. That needs to change, and if Bosch and Maddie care about doing the right thing in other ways, they should care about that.

I agree with this. This is why police reform is so difficult. When good cops speak out or even just tell the truth instead of being purposely ambiguous or vague, they are afraid of retribution or being shunned and having it affect their career. It really does need to be something that starts from the top. Leadership needs to establish that retribution or ostracization will not be tolerated. 

Anyway, off my soap box...I did enjoy the season. I still just didn't completely understand why the Vance corporation people would go to such extremes to take out an heir. There was so much money available - couldn't they have just worked out an agreement with the heir? Whoever the heir would have turned out to be would likely have taken a payout in exchange for a share of profits or whatever just to be rid of the headache of dealing with the corporation and not looking over your shoulder all the time. I know I would have, especially if it was money I didn't know or expect to inherit. 

Vance's secretary also didn't think things through in how she handled the will. She should have just admitted the truth, that she took dictation from Mr. Vance and that way the will could have been judged as valid because she authenticated it. However, she lied initially about not knowing anything about it and not being the one who wrote it and so now even if she tried to tell "the truth" her credibility is shot. 

I don't like Maddie as a cop. I liked it better when she worked for Honey as a legal intern. But I guess she really wants to do this. I also wonder why she didn't follow her mother into the FBI. She seems like she'd be smart enough to get into Quantico. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, GiandujaPie said:

I don't like Maddie as a cop. I liked it better when she worked for Honey as a legal intern. But I guess she really wants to do this. I also wonder why she didn't follow her mother into the FBI. She seems like she'd be smart enough to get into Quantico. 

More than being smart the F.B.I. demands some experience like finishing that advanced degree in a specialty that they are looking for or prior law enforcement experience which young Maddy has not yet attained.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, AnnaCody said:

Does anyone know when S2 will be released? 

Officially? No.  But Bosch and Bosch Legacy seasons have typically been released in the spring--around March/April.

I'd expect the second season to follow.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

According to Titus Welliver they are in the process of filming it right now. The planned drop date is sometime in April. 

Good to know.  And may I ask: where do you find this kind of info?

Thanks!

On 4/27/2017 at 6:48 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

I wonder if, when Connelly writes new Bosch novels, he, too, pictures Welliver now as Bosch, or has he had a clear vision of what he thinks Bosch looks like that he maintains.

(Just got "The Wrong Side of Goodbye" from the library.)

I imagine so. I have borrowed audio books from the library and Welliver is the narrator.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
On 8/31/2022 at 1:35 PM, AnnaCody said:

And may I ask: where do you find this kind of info?

I’m sorry. This notification never showed up or I would have answered long before now. I get most of my information from Titus Welliver. He’s active on Twitter. I also belong to a fan group there and many of the actors stop by to give us some behind the scenes photos and tidbits about what’s going on. 

• Useful 1

Amazon is planning two Bosch spinoff series. One will focus on J. Edgar who will go to Miami for an undercover gig and the other will focus on Renee Ballard.  For those who don't know, Ballard is another character from Connelly's Bosch/Lincoln Lawyer universe. Many of the retired/PI Bosch books are crossovers with the character. At this time, it's unclear if they'll be on Amazon or Freevee. 

https://deadline.com/2023/02/bosch-universe-spinoffs-amazon-studios-j-edgar-renee-ballard-michael-connelly-1235252200/

• Like 3
  • Fire 1
  • Useful 6

I'm all in for the Renee Ballard spinoff . . . not sure that J. Edgar undercover is  going to work.  They've played him for years as looking for short-cuts, more concerned about clocking out at 5 than working a case, selling real estate on the side, and getting good deals on designer suits.  All of a sudden he's going undercover????

• Like 4
41 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I'm all in for the Renee Ballard spinoff . . . not sure that J. Edgar undercover is  going to work.  They've played him for years as looking for short-cuts, more concerned about clocking out at 5 than working a case, selling real estate on the side, and getting good deals on designer suits.  All of a sudden he's going undercover????

After almost dying and going after a fellow Haitian expat they were changing J. Edgar up 

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, Raja said:

After almost dying and going after a fellow Haitian expat they were changing J. Edgar up 

Thanks for the reminder.  If they create a spinoff, I'll definitely give it a go - especially if it's the new, passionate J. Edgar.

• Like 3