Type keyword(s) to search

Bosch: Legacy - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Have we ever been told that Honey was previously married, much less had a grown daughter? Somehow I was very surprised at that.

And that quake gave me flashback PTSD. I lived through the Loma Prieta earthquake in '89 (I was in Palo Alto). There were some houses in the neighborhood I lived in that got those red cards (also perched on hillsides, though not so spectacularly).

• Love 1
On 6/28/2021 at 10:35 AM, GiandujaPie said:

My husband and I finished the whole season this weekend. Each episode went by very quickly and we're sad that it's done but will definitely be watching the spinoff. 

I thought it was clever of them to set this in January 2020 to avoid having to deal with any masks or any Covid restrictions onscreen but I'm wondering if they will show post-pandemic L.A. Will they acknowledge that some Covid precautions will still be taken (people walking around with masks etc...) even in a mostly vaccinated and open city? They showed Maddie watching a news report that mentioned the early cases of Covid so clearly they are acknowledging that this exists not just ignoring it as it seems some TV shows are. I imagine with the new show involving Honey Chandler that it would have to be set several months later no matter what anyway so that she would have had time to recover from her injuries. 

I wonder if Maddie will continue with LAPD application or will Bosch's actions somehow impact her prospects or she will change her mind about wanting to join. Maybe she'll decide to apply for the FBI instead, like her mother. 

In the first two episodes of Legacy they do mention traffic coming back in  post pandemic L.A. and I only noticed one extra walking around in a surgical mask.  Meanwhile in real life L.A. there remains a higher usage to this day even after the local governments relaxed the mandates.

I think we are picking up Maddie in her second half of the probationary year moving to Hollywood Division, if The Rookie and Southland were accurate about LAPD culture and policies concerning "Boots". The training officer does tell Maddie to go to the car and not their "shop" if that is accurate culture.

8 hours ago, dleighg said:

can someone remind me why Bosch quit so I don't have to go back and rewatch? Something about 5 innocent victims? From the recap it seems something political went down?

Irving suspended him because he messed with the FBI's apprehension of a dirtbag murderer named Pena.  Then I believe the father of Sonia Hernandez killed Pena. The father was then killed by he cops and his dying words were "Por, Sonia" which was also the name of the episode. Subsequently, Bosch gives his badge to Irving and quits the LAPD. In the last scene you see him applying for a P.I. license. That scene is the opening of Legacy.

Hope this jogs your memory. 

• Love 3

Oy. I started watching this last night because I only thought there'd be two episodes out. But there were four and I went to bed way too late. 

Oh well.

I enjoy this, although I'm a little worried Bosch is going to get a new home as a way to cut the budget for this season.  I'd miss that view. 

This definitely feels more of a daytime show with all the action happening during the day.  And there are fewer characters but I really like it.  I'm so glad it's back and that we're getting another season.

Also great to see Crate & Barrell in the fourth ep.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, NeenerNeener said:

I'm trying to decide if I hate the new theme song as much as I hated the old one.

I am trying to decide whose music it is. It doesn't fit Bosch nor Maddie.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, NeenerNeener said:

I'm trying to decide if I hate the new theme song as much as I hated the old one.

Oh I loved the old one.  I used to listen to it every episode.  But I skip the new one.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Raja said:

I am trying to decide whose music it is. It doesn't fit Bosch nor Maddie.

According to Google it's “Times Are Changing” by Built by Titan. I don't like it, not even as "music for exceeding the speed limit".

12 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Oh I loved the old one.  I used to listen to it every episode.  But I skip the new one.

Loved the old  opening music too.   Don't like the new one.   So far I'm not too happy with the new series.   Miss his precinct cohorts.   Don't  really like the direction of Maddie, nor do I like car chases and big time Mafia gangs.  Acting is fine.  Cinematography is great, though I miss the apartment.   Finished three and I'll wait for epi five to watch four and five together.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, weaver said:

Loved the old  opening music too.   Don't like the new one.   So far I'm not too happy with the new series.   Miss his precinct cohorts.   Don't  really like the direction of Maddie, nor do I like car chases and big time Mafia gangs.  Acting is fine.  Cinematography is great, though I miss the apartment.   Finished three and I'll wait for epi five to watch four and five together.  

Have only seen one episode, but I agree with a lot of this. I'm finding the plot lines so far interesting, but I really miss the whole cast ensemble from the previous incarnation of the show. I never thought Maddie was on a path to become a cop. I found it jarring when it was revealed at the end of the last season, and think it was obviously done to keep viewers who watched this for the police action.

An odd point to make maybe, but I found it interesting that characters now use "fuck" a lot more than they did on the prior version. Not sure why the scriptwriters decided to change this.

I'm also finding it hard to get used to the commercials (or at least not being able to FF through them like the cable shows I DVR)

• Like 1
  • Love 4
On 5/7/2022 at 11:01 PM, Irlandesa said:

I enjoy this, although I'm a little worried Bosch is going to get a new home as a way to cut the budget for this season.  I'd miss that view. 

Two guesses:

1) This incarnation's reduced budget couldn't afford to rent the house for a couple of weeks of filming per year, or

2) Due to COVID, the house's owners were staying home all the time and no longer wanted to accommodate a film crew.

Either way, the earthquake subplot (and Bosch possibly letting his earthquake insurance lapse) was a legitimate way to write the house out of the show.

Three episodes in, and the reviewers were correct: This feels less like a new show and more like Bosch Season 8. The biggest change, obviously, is Honey Chandler getting more screen time than anyone except Bosch himself. The Maddie stuff is arguably the show's weak point: Madison Lintz is giving it her all but doesn't have Welliver's charisma, and the "rookie cop learns the ropes" storyline has been done a million times. Ditto with Vasquez as the "hard-ass mentor with a heart of gold." Been there, seen it, done it.

I did chuckle during the big tunnel chase when it was obvious that neither Lintz nor the actress playing Vasquez was running fast at all, and the producers were using fast-pumping music and close-up camera angles to unsuccessfully mask it.

Didn't know William Devane was still alive, but he's as solid as ever. I assume we're going to find out the billionaire's deceased love child had a kid of his own, either here or in Vietnam. Best guess is that the "Is he dead?" fakeout at the end of Episode 1 was caused by the producers not knowing if Devane would be available if the pilot was picked up.

Anyway, my feelings about this show are the same as the original: I'll never rewatch any of these episodes, but I'll watch the new ones and enjoy the stories being told.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

2) Due to COVID, the house's owners were staying home all the time and no longer wanted to accommodate a film crew.

I've only seen the first episode, and am trying to remember if there were scenes inside the house at all? All I can recall is Bosch being out on the deck. If so, that would fit with the "don't go in the house" idea.

1 hour ago, dleighg said:

I've only seen the first episode, and am trying to remember if there were scenes inside the house at all? All I can recall is Bosch being out on the deck. If so, that would fit with the "don't go in the house" idea.

He was inside the house (or a set made to look like the interior) when the tremor hit. He saw the glass cracking from the inside.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

1) This incarnation's reduced budget couldn't afford to rent the house for a couple of weeks of filming per year, or

Bosch Season 7 filmed in the fall of 2020 through the beginning of 2021.  COVID was still a thing then and it was before anyone was vaccinated.  So unless something changed, COVID is likely not the reason.  Plus, I'd bet the homeowners live elsewhere during filming. 

That's why I think it's likely related to budget--unless they go back and then it was just for story.  Some of the plots feel awfully familiar (like the pulse oximeter transference) and the whole Carl Rodgers thing which makes me think it might have been lifted from a book I read.  The characters are different--Honey instead of Kay--but similar stories. 

I miss the squad too but I'm still glad to have the show back.  I get that on Freevee it probably can't have the budget, and the cast, of the original.  Hopefully, some of the side characters get built out a bit more.

• Love 1
(edited)
8 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Some of the plots feel awfully familiar (like the pulse oximeter transference) and the whole Carl Rodgers thing which makes me think it might have been lifted from a book I read.  The characters are different--Honey instead of Kay--but similar stories. 

All of the Bosch TV plotlines (including this season's) are lifted from Michael Connelly's Bosch novels, with varying levels of modification.

Edited by Sir RaiderDuck OMS
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

Okay.  I tried.  Between the constant buffering of the feed and the production values . . . and not the kind of acting we expect from the three main characters . . . I'm not gonna go any further than the first episode.

I'm a huge fan of the original series, and am about halfway through the series of books.  This is like a red-headed, bucktoothed stepchild when compared to the books and the original series.

• Love 2
(edited)
11 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Okay.  I tried.  Between the constant buffering of the feed and the production values . . . and not the kind of acting we expect from the three main characters . . . I'm not gonna go any further than the first episode.

I'm a huge fan of the original series, and am about halfway through the series of books.  This is like a red-headed, bucktoothed stepchild when compared to the books and the original series.

It is still better than most of the weekly procedural TV shows.

Also, I don't have any buffering problems when viewing on Prime (Freevee); I'm up to episode #4.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, Msample said:

When does the next batch of episodes get released?

Two each Friday for the next three Fridays - May 13, May 20, May 27.  Ten epis in total.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

The homeless guy, Herstadt, looked familiar to me. IMDb says he's Joe Adler. Well, that didn't mean anything to me, so looking at what he had been in previously, OH!  He was the young techie guy in The Mentalist after CBI closed and they joined the FBI.

YAY for the episode being posted early and BOO for the episode being posted early. When I turned on my Firestick last night, I thought it was Friday. 😞

Everything about this show is working for me except for Maddie. Her parts bore me to tears. I wish they would have had Maddie doing something else (that requires less screen time) and introduced Ballard from the books instead. 

• Love 7
24 minutes ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

YAY for the episode being posted early and BOO for the episode being posted early. When I turned on my Firestick last night, I thought it was Friday. 😞

Everything about this show is working for me except for Maddie. Her parts bore me to tears. I wish they would have had Maddie doing something else (that requires less screen time) and introduced Ballard from the books instead. 

It wasn't early Amazon uses the international date line for their release time

• Love 2

Yeah I like that it drops Thursday evening for me.

3 hours ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

I like Maddie.  And I get that they're following the books.  But I wish she had kept working for Honey/followed her law career. She was more interesting that way.

Beat cops on a show about ongoing stories aren't as interesting to follow. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6
(edited)
8 hours ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

Maybe she should transfer to The Rookie and get Nathan Filion as her T.O.

Edited by preeya
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
(edited)

Maddie was always my least favorite part of the original show and continues to be the weak link here.  Here acting is horrible, she looks awkward all the time and has one facial expression.  

I do love Bosch's new tech guy, am liking the Honey partnership more than I thought, and same as everyone else love seeing some of the old squad. I am still hoping for an alive J. Edgar and the female detective that transferred to Robbery with him.   

Always good to see William DeVane and wish he'd had a larger role.   I am still hoping the son is alive and there was a mixup and he deserted or something, although I think this is leading to a child of his more than anything. 

Is Maddie still with her boyfriend?  I fast forward through her parts so......

Ask and you shall receive!!! ❤️😄

Edited by catrice2
  • Love 8

I’ve enjoyed all of it and am glad Bosch is back. Not sure why they keep giving Maddie weak material. She always seems to fear something… now it is echos of the poor woman who was raped. Would like to see her, and Honey, stop the fear. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, preeya said:

It was Titus Welliver's son in the flashback:

Read it here: https://tinyurl.com/y2tswdmx

I didn't think it necessarily looked like him but I did think he nailed the way he spoke/affect so it's interesting to learn that he was related to Titus.

I'm surprised we saw Mickey.  I would've thought he was a no go because of the Lincoln Lawyer. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
58 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I didn't think it necessarily looked like him but I did think he nailed the way he spoke/affect so it's interesting to learn that he was related to Titus.

I'm surprised we saw Mickey.  I would've thought he was a no go because of the Lincoln Lawyer. 

I thought he had the same eyes and was marveling that they found someone with the same eyes!  He did the mannerisms well too.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

That was the kid doing the Matthew McConaughey impression, right?

• LOL 4
8 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Ha. I have no idea.

When Bosch meets his father, dad tells the little kid to go outside, and the kid does the trademark “alright alright alright”, even with a bit of a Texas accent.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Rickster said:

When Bosch meets his father, dad tells the little kid to go outside, and the kid does the trademark “alright alright alright”, even with a bit of a Texas accent.

I'll have to rewatch that.  I didn't pick up on it because I wasn't sure what they were showing us until it was too late.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Rickster said:

That's kind of funny, because the currently running "Lincoln Lawyer" has an actor who bears exactly zero resemblance to Matthew McConaughey! Either in looks or accent.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, dleighg said:

That's kind of funny, because the currently running "Lincoln Lawyer" has an actor who bears exactly zero resemblance to Matthew McConaughey! Either in looks or accent.

Over on Lincoln Lawyer Mickey

Spoiler

was mosty raised in Mexico City. Summers were with dad

Bosch Legacy came with old school, pre 3 strikes laws S.I.S., the undercover unit that gets suspects into position that ends with a gunfight. I got a feeling Maddie will be dealing with that fallout soon.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, dleighg said:

The casting for the TV show Mickey is more of a nod to the books but since another TV Show "owns" Mickey, they likely needed to wink at the movie version.

Can someone clarify something? Last we saw Maddie, she was moving in with her boyfriend. When this new guy started flirting with her, I thought she would say she had a live-in boyfriend, but he appears not to exist here.

Was any mention made about them breaking up?

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, Sweet Tooth said:

Can someone clarify something? Last we saw Maddie, she was moving in with her boyfriend. When this new guy started flirting with her, I thought she would say she had a live-in boyfriend, but he appears not to exist here.

Was any mention made about them breaking up?

I think I asked the same questions because I fast forward through most of her scenes. 

• LOL 5

Bosch: Legacy Season 2: Michael Connelly confirms "The Crossing" storyline.  

Harry Bosch has retired from LAPD but his half-brother, defense attorney Mickey Haller, needs his help.  The murder rap against his client seems ironclad, but Mickey is sure it's a setup.  Though it goes against all his instincts, Bosch takes the case.  

On 5/22/2022 at 5:58 PM, Irlandesa said:

I wonder if they're going to change the defense lawyer to Honey Chandler instead of Mickey.

Bite your tongue  

I cannot abide the Honey scenes. Besides the ridiculousness of featuring a 66 year old woman doing action/suspense scenes not long after suffering multiple gunshot wounds to the torso, I can’t take her character. That scene in episode 7 with her and her therapist was unbearable. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2