Type keyword(s) to search

Versailles - General Discussion

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Bill1978 said:

I'm still waiting for it to arrive in Australia. Loved the first season, even if I had no idea the name of any character (except a few) until the last couple of episodes.

Season 2 is deliciously campy I am enjoying it immensely, I don't know if there will be a season 3 (I hope so.)

Finished watching the season. 

Spoiler

It was clever that prince Phillipe's daughters with Henriette were retconned into existence despite never mentioning them previously.  But Louis and Mdm De Montespain had seven children together--5 survived childhood and were legitimized.  I guess they don't exist at all on the show (save the one who died in infancy), because retconning them wouldn't work for how much they are compressing these events into a short enough time frame so the lead characters can stay young and beautiful throughout.  It was very sad to see Phillipe and the Chevaleir be torn apart this season by his marriage, I hope they can come back together in season 3, which is currently filming. 

(edited)

Oh joy a few more people watching too! and a season 3! (Versailles is never on bbc's iplayer list of most popular so I was worried, LOL.) I don't watch much episodic television but this is must see TV for me.

Edited by LiveenLetLive
  • Love 1

I have decided that Tygh Runyan (Marchelle, Louis' now fired head of security) is majorly hot. This show does explicit scenes but that scene between Marchelle and Claudine (the "doctor") just rolling around kissing was the sexiest thing that I have seen in quite awhile.

• Love 7

I agree.  I couldn't make out what he said to her when she asked if this was how he seduced all the women;  she replied "You're still here - I like that", but what was she replying to?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, MrsE said:

I agree.  I couldn't make out what he said to her when she asked if this was how he seduced all the women;  she replied "You're still here - I like that", but what was she replying to?

3 hours ago, MrsE said:

after being fired by Louis, He showed up at her house--she went out to buy some herbs and he asked if she wanted him to be there when she returned--I think that was the gist of it.

• Love 1

No, I've seen it;  he's asleep by the fire, she caresses his face, he upends her onto the floor and she says "Is this how you seduce all the women?"  He says "something that I can't make out" and she responds with "You're still here - I like that".  What was the "something" he said to her?

16 hours ago, MrsE said:

No, I've seen it;  he's asleep by the fire, she caresses his face, he upends her onto the floor and she says "Is this how you seduce all the women?"  He says "something that I can't make out" and she responds with "You're still here - I like that".  What was the "something" he said to her?

maybe I'll look at that scene again--a new episode tomorrow--oh joy, LOL!

On 5/25/2017 at 0:31 AM, MrsE said:

damn I went back and watched that scene but I can't make out what he said and iplayer's subtitles don't work!

5 hours ago, MrsE said:

Ah, that makes sense.

And now  she's gone.  I wouldn't want to be in Gaston's shoes when Fabien Marchal finds out who killed his lover.

well that sucked, LOL. I am very glad that Fabien (my new TV boyfriend) is still around, LOL I also love the how the actor is camping up the Chevalier--he is wonderfully bitchy. Also, anyone who has seen portraits of the real William of Orange (with his huge hook nose)-- will think, boy did they cast a pretty boy to play him, LOL.

• Love 2
On 11/7/2016 at 5:20 AM, Allie56 said:

I like Louis, too. I just finished Antonia Fraser's book on the women in Louis XIV's life, and she makes the comparison of Louis's fairly kind treatment of women versus Henry VIII. At least Louis's loves were not executed or made to be utterly miserable. 

I was unsure if I would enjoy this show, but I am loving it. It is utterly beautiful and the characters are really interesting. I think Monsieur is outshining Louis because he's such a fascinating character - arrogant and vain, but insecure and broken; jealous and bitter toward his brother but loving and loyal, too. 

Well, Henry was vying for a son to proceed his line. Louis just enjoyed having sex around and he was not in a position to act the same way Henry did. Also, different personalities, I guess? :) truth be told, I don't think it was personal with Henry.

• Useful 1

Not much to say about this week's episode except that the writer must be having a field day writing the series with all the hallucinatory discourse between Louis and William. I actually dig the way that they have turned this into a "mystery" detective show. 

On 4/28/2017 at 1:14 PM, Peper81 said:

I watched this show on Ovation in the US.  When I was randomly searching on Amazon, I came upon the DVD/Blu-ray of it and started reading the comments.  Someone commented that what we see in the US has been edited down from the original airing.  Does anyone know if any of the streaming sites (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime) have the full, original airing?  I don't particularly want to purchase the DVD which is where the commenter said had most, but not all, of the original airing. 

A late answer, but Netflix is streaming uncut Season 1. I will watch as I think some of the cuts Ovation did made the story hard to follow at points.

• Love 1

Historically, Louis (who had great hair) wore it long and loose. Other courtiers followed him to the best of their ability. Those who could not, wore wigs. Louis eventually turned to a wig, I believe.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I've just started watching this (a day late and a dollar short is my life's story), but I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that had trouble telling all of the characters apart. So many brunette men with hair in varying degrees of waviness. I just finished the second episode and spent most of last night trying to see if there was any hint of scandal around the birth of the baby, but it looks like it was included for "teh dramaz". Had that happened in real life, the queen would have most likely been sent to a convent, executed for treason, or something.

21 hours ago, Popples said:

I've just started watching this (a day late and a dollar short is my life's story), but I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that had trouble telling all of the characters apart. So many brunette men with hair in varying degrees of waviness. I just finished the second episode and spent most of last night trying to see if there was any hint of scandal around the birth of the baby, but it looks like it was included for "teh dramaz". Had that happened in real life, the queen would have most likely been sent to a convent, executed for treason, or something.

I'm on episode 7 and it's only slightly better now. I can't tell if it's one character (Beatrice) acting in a conflicting way or two different women. Very confusing!

Marathoned through two seasons and I'm seriously addicted to the magnificence of the set and actors.

Love Philippe. Love Princesse Palatine. Love Louis. Love Marchal. Love Chevalier. Loved Claudine, why did they have to kill her!!

Withdrawal has commenced. I need more Versailles in my life! When is season 3?

• Love 6
On 8/31/2017 at 10:51 AM, vavera4ka said:

Marathoned through two seasons and I'm seriously addicted to the magnificence of the set and actors.

Love Philippe. Love Princesse Palatine. Love Louis. Love Marchal. Love Chevalier. Loved Claudine, why did they have to kill her!!

Withdrawal has commenced. I need more Versailles in my life! When is season 3?

Are you in the states? The USA doesn't get season 2 for a few more weeks and I feel like I'm dying too! Lol. Watching season 1 on Netflix. 

I'm very glad it's back as well. Was a different actor playing Rohan for his brief scenes? Or was he just always so grubby I couldn't tell?

Need more Chevalier. And I would like my very own Marchal, please. Who do I see about that?

• Love 7
On 10/1/2017 at 11:54 AM, Valmarmar said:

Marchal RULES !!

My boyfriend! so glad that the states get to see this season--I pay for the privilege of seeing it ahead of time, but considering how much I love this camp classic, well worth the investment.

• Love 2

Was a different actor playing Rohan for his brief scenes?

I thought it was a different actor too, but IMDB says otherwise. Alexis Michalik is listed for both seasons. Weird.

Why do they keep almost killing off Fabian? Stop that! I swear, he's been stabbed and/or poisoned about half a dozen times now. 

I'm liking the Princess Palatine so far (although I felt sorry for her after the bedding ceremony). She seems like she could be a real hoot.

Are they hinting at a romance between Fabian and Claudine (the doctor)?

I still have a hard time remembering names on this show, and I don't remember anyone calling Philippe "Monsieur" in Season 1.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I thought it was a different actor too, but IMDB says otherwise. Alexis Michalik is listed for both seasons. Weird.

Why do they keep almost killing off Fabian? Stop that! I swear, he's been stabbed and/or poisoned about half a dozen times now. 

I'm liking the Princess Palatine so far (although I felt sorry for her after the bedding ceremony). She seems like she could be a real hoot.

Are they hinting at a romance between Fabian and Claudine (the doctor)?

I still have a hard time remembering names on this show, and I don't remember anyone calling Philippe "Monsieur" in Season 1.

I wish I could be back to where you are with still the whole season to enjoy. I was also always a fan of Fabien, Claudine and the princess Palatine, who is indeed an amazing character (as was the real one, in memory serves there were a bunch of letters from her [to her mother? or other relatives or friends?] that portrays how she viewed the French court, warts and all). Enjoy!

• Love 3

If anyone is just watching the broadcast episodes on Ovation do yourself a favor and watch it from Ovation on demand.  They have the unedited episodes up by Wednesday after the episodes air.  They cut out some good stuff.

• Love 1

I love and adore this show.  Just a lot of frothy fun.  The acting, costumes, and sets are magnificent.  So glad it is back and a S3 is in the works.  Marcal.  I love him, but not the most competent head of security.  He gets stabbed by Montcourt last season and the King had to take care of Montcourt himself.

I am thrilled with the addition of Princess Palatine.  She's brings fresh air to the palace.

• Love 4
On 10/19/2017 at 7:54 PM, ch1 said:

If anyone is just watching the broadcast episodes on Ovation do yourself a favor and watch it from Ovation on demand.  They have the unedited episodes up by Wednesday after the episodes air.  They cut out some good stuff.

I was watching this through Netflix.  Is there a way to get Season 2 without having Ovation?  I'm new to streaming and still learning, so any help would be appreciated.  It's killing me that I haven't been able to watch season 2 yet!!!

• Love 1
On 10/19/2017 at 7:54 PM, ch1 said:

I wanted to refresh my memory of what happened last season before starting this season and started watching Season 1 on Netflix.  I was amazed at how much was cut by Ovation when it broadcast it. It makes so much more sense on Netflix with all the scenes intact. Thanks for the tip.

If anyone is just watching the broadcast episodes on Ovation do yourself a favor and watch it from Ovation on demand.

Unfortunately that's not possible for me. They keep advertising that Ovation Now is available thru Roku, but in order to activate it you have to choose your service provider and they don't list mine as an option, nor do they list a lot of other common ones like Comcast or AT&T. It's crazy.

Just finished S2 Ep7 -  Poo !  Only 2 more !  I am so gripped by this series.   These actors are soooo believable  -  I hang on every word and smallest of actions in following this story.  In my first description of all this, I said to a friend, "It's so pretty!"   But, it is MORE, and each episode makes me want that - MORE !!!

They're really taking artistic liberties with historical facts by having Montespan turn to Satanists in order to bewitch Louis into loving her again. That seems like quite a leap just to keep the character relevant and interesting. 

• Love 1

I like season 2 a lot better than season 1. My problem with season 1 was the number of characters, many of whom look a lot alike. And with all the characters came a lot of different plot lines, not all of them interesting.

My favorite this season is Phillippe. He seemed so genuinely happy and sweet to Liselotte when they learned she was expecting. It's not an ideal arrangement for either but they're making do with what they've been handed. And I liked watching him take on his spying assignment.

Edited by Mumbles
  • Love 7

Ovation has acquired season 3 to air in the fall. Even though the actors have been behaving as though the show is over, the writer seems to think that this deal will increase the chances of season 4. Apparently it did well in the ratings (for Ovation) despite the kind of crap scheduling and no replays.

• Love 1

Just jumping in to say I just got to the episode in season 2 where the King goes into battle against William of Orange, is thwarted by their having flooded the battlefield, and then is forced to take refuge in a convent where he finds . . . William of Orange waiting for him.

Oh snap.  Shit just got REAL.

• Love 2
On 5/5/2017 at 11:01 AM, patty1h said:

The one person I like is Philippe's German wife.  She's aces.

Ditto!  I just binged through all of season 2 today and she was one of the highlights.

What a gorgeous show.  I'm a a bit annoyed I had to buy it on Amazon (shouldn't my AmazonPrime subscription have covered it?) but I thoroughly enjoyed falling down that rabbit hole today.  I spent a couple of hours on Wikipedia this morning reading all about Louis XIV and his brother Philipe and key members of their court so that helped me keep everybody straight.  I think it's interesting that they've completely ignored Louis and Philipe's mother, who -- unless I misunderstood something -- is still very much alive at this time.  I guess we just have to assume she's living in Paris.

I did think it was interesting that Louis' son, the Dauphin, turned up to watch the poison-selling, black-mass-attending, witch be burned at the stake in the final scene.  We didn't hear a word about him after his rescue in episode 1 but I guess he was around somewhere in the background.  Maybe he was in Paris with his grandmother and tutors most of the time.  At any rate, I suspect we'll see more of him next season.

Bottom line:  it was a great series and I'm glad to learn from these boards that a season 3 is in the works.

• Love 5

I was so excited to see season 2 on Netflix!  I just rewatched season one recently,  so the timing was perfect.  I really enjoy the show,  sure it has weak points,  but I'm a sucker for a period show.  It only has to be half way decent,  I mean I watched all of Reign for goodness sake.  Lol

I just finished  Dark on Netflix,  highly recommend btw, and I needed to watch something more mellow.  Nothing like a little court intrigue. 

Edited by ihartcoffee
  • Love 1

@ihartcoffee I'm with you on period shows (and coffee lol)

I love that genre so much that I was actually able to enjoy Reign lol after suspending few attitudes lol

I don't think I have come across a period show that I just plain quit.

And when we have such great set like Versailles, actors who have chemistry with each other and are obviously having fun doing the show... I can ask little more. So what if there are "few" historical inaccuracies... history-shmistory LOL

• Love 1