Type keyword(s) to search

Versailles - General Discussion

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

On 11/27/2017 at 1:30 PM, iMonrey said:

They're really taking artistic liberties with historical facts by having Montespan turn to Satanists in order to bewitch Louis into loving her again. That seems like quite a leap just to keep the character relevant and interesting. 

While they are stretching things a bit as to her motivations, apparently there was a Satanic Priest and an evil sorceress operating at the time-she was tried as a witch and burned in 1680. Montesepan's involvement is very sketchy, largely due to Louis squashing much of the evidence. What I enjoy about this show is they take little tidbits of information from the periphery of history (which may or may not have actually happened) and give them their own plotlines. The poisonings at court that took place in the 1670's were an actual thing and a number of nobles were indeed implicated. Obviously it's going to be played up for effect but from the little I was able to research on this period, there's been at least some justifiable basis for each story.

• Love 5

Just finished season 2 on Amazon. I paid for it cause I couldn't wait. I loved it! So happy to hear there will be another season! The actors are amazing and the sets and costumes are gorgeous! I go back and forth on my love for Louis and Phillippe, but I think Phillippe is winning right now. Loved the relationship between Phillippe, Chevalier, and Palpatine. Can't wait to see where that goes. Chevalier broke my heart a few times last season.

• Love 1
On 18/03/2018 at 7:16 AM, Normades said:

Just finished season 2 on Amazon. I paid for it cause I couldn't wait. I loved it! So happy to hear there will be another season! The actors are amazing and the sets and costumes are gorgeous! I go back and forth on my love for Louis and Phillippe, but I think Phillippe is winning right now. Loved the relationship between Phillippe, Chevalier, and Palpatine. Can't wait to see where that goes. Chevalier broke my heart a few times last season.

the actors are so very talented. in fact, the characters are so real, i even forgot people were acting them out. the best acted cast i have seen in a LONG time.

Edited by Iju
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Just watched both seasons in the last couple days I love Philippe, Chevalier and Palatine. I go back and forth on Louis. Marchel is awesome. I loved Claudine and hated that they killed her off.  

yes ikr! the doctor didn't need to die at all.

i'm somewhat the same on louis, but i just view him as the most complex character on there. even philippe, the only one who knows him best, doesn't really know if he loves him as a brother or as an obedient servant. however he has been primmed for king for so long he can't help but behave selfishly and unthinking of others. but the throne really is so lonely for him and he believes he has to suffer that alone.

i really hope for S3 to feature philippe teaming up with louis, because together they would be an excellent king, as philippe proved when he posed as king. louis could make all the hard decisions as king while philippe could be his conscience on just how far he can go, and can go to battle for him. i just hope louis realises he doesn't have to do this alone, and has someone who not only knows him completely but could love him completely, more than anyone he knows. philippe can be more than his right hand man. he can be the second half of the king.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Iju said:

yes ikr! the doctor didn't need to die at all.

i'm somewhat the same on louis, but i just view him as the most complex character on there. even philippe, the only one who knows him best, doesn't really know if he loves him as a brother or as an obedient servant. however he has been primmed for king for so long he can't help but behave selfishly and unthinking of others. but the throne really is so lonely for him and he believes he has to suffer that alone.

i really hope for S3 to feature philippe teaming up with louis, because together they would be an excellent king, as philippe proved when he posed as king. louis could make all the hard decisions as king while philippe could be his conscience on just how far he can go, and can go to battle for him. i just hope louis realises he doesn't have to do this alone, and has someone who not only knows him completely but could love him completely, more than anyone he knows. philippe can be more than his right hand man. he can be the second half of the king.

That makes sense on Louis. I like your idea on S3 I really want this to happen. They would make a great team! Philippe did a really good job when he posed as his brother and manage to drive a hard bargain on the Sultan and on the advisors.  He did a good job pretending to befriend the spy.  I'm glad Philippe finally got to go to war. He's wanted that for so long. He looked so happy.       

• Love 2
On 09/04/2018 at 10:27 PM, andromeda331 said:

That makes sense on Louis. I like your idea on S3 I really want this to happen. They would make a great team! Philippe did a really good job when he posed as his brother and manage to drive a hard bargain on the Sultan and on the advisors.  He did a good job pretending to befriend the spy.  I'm glad Philippe finally got to go to war. He's wanted that for so long. He looked so happy.       

oh yeah, and i forgot to mention that i think because of the tragedy that happened with phillipe's wife and how she said she feels like a prison in the palace now, that will give her and phillipe a chance to bond even more because he feels the same about versailles. this is a severe jump but IF phillpe and louis get closer and IF they come together as one as king, she could become the right hand man for the king since she has displayed to be attentive and focused intelligently. here's what i'm thinking (roughly):

louis and phillipe as king

louis as one part as king: makes all the hard decisions, takes a lot of the burden that king provides, can make a mean battlefield strategy

phillipe as second part of the king: can battle, takes part of the burden as king from louis, master on the battlefield, helps louis' conscience and helps him with more people focused laws (since louis almost entirely focuses on noble attention)

phillipe's wife (i forget her name lel): knows more about people than the king (in this i mean louis and his brother) since she isn't so high on the noble ladder, can give recommendations for what nobles to enter the palace, can see through people, etc. she can whisper any secrets on her opinions of the matter to her husband, who eventually tells the king, therefore making the three of them a tough trio to beat.

hee hee. i like thinking out theories of TV shows, now i know what fun fans have in it even though this is pretty far fetched.

Edited by Iju
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Iju said:

oh yeah, and i forgot to mention that i think because of the tragedy that happened with phillipe's wife and how she said she feels like a prison in the palace now, that will give her and phillipe a chance to bond even more because he feels the same about versailles. this is a severe jump but IF phillpe and louis get closer and IF they come together as one as king, she could become the right hand man for the king since she has displayed to be attentive and focused intelligently. here's what i'm thinking (roughly):

louis and phillipe as king

louis as one part as king: makes all the hard decisions, takes a lot of the burden that king provides, can make a mean battlefield strategy

phillipe as second part of the king: can battle, takes part of the burden as king from louis, master on the battlefield, helps louis' conscience and helps him with more people focused laws (since louis almost entirely focuses on noble attention)

phillipe's wife (i forget her name lel): knows more about people than the king (in this i mean louis and his brother) since she isn't so high on the noble ladder, can give recommendations for what nobles to enter the palace, can see through people, etc. she can whisper any secrets on her opinions of the matter to her husband, who eventually tells the king, therefore making the three of them a tough trio to beat.

hee hee. i like thinking out theories of TV shows, now i know what fun fans have in it even though this is pretty far fetched.

Elisabeth Charlotte or Liselotte (sp?) she could easily do that. She was mostly dismissed by the nobles in the last season mainly for the reasons you gave she's not so high on the noble ladder. I doubt that would change which would make it easier for her to get information.  I really don't see nobles thinking they need to be quiet or careful around her because they don't think they need too.  

I like those suggestions on Louis and Philippe as king. They both have half the parts that would make up a good king. It would be nice if Louis would realize this there's so much he and Philippe could do together and be a very good team. He seemed to really finally be realizing that in the last episode when he let Philippe leave for war. Hopefully, he'll continue to realize how helpful Philippe can be.

• Love 1
On 16/04/2018 at 5:43 AM, andromeda331 said:

Elisabeth Charlotte or Liselotte (sp?) she could easily do that. She was mostly dismissed by the nobles in the last season mainly for the reasons you gave she's not so high on the noble ladder. I doubt that would change which would make it easier for her to get information.  I really don't see nobles thinking they need to be quiet or careful around her because they don't think they need too.  

well that is true, but there was a lot of secrecy going on in the palace last season, so i assumed she would have to sneak around. but since the ringleader is dead you're right she may not have to do that anymore.

On 16/04/2018 at 5:43 AM, andromeda331 said:

I like those suggestions on Louis and Philippe as king. They both have half the parts that would make up a good king. It would be nice if Louis would realize this there's so much he and Philippe could do together and be a very good team. He seemed to really finally be realizing that in the last episode when he let Philippe leave for war. Hopefully, he'll continue to realize how helpful Philippe can be.

i really hope this happens! it really looks like it's leading to this, at least.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Iju said:

well that is true, but there was a lot of secrecy going on in the palace last season, so i assumed she would have to sneak around. but since the ringleader is dead you're right she may not have to do that anymore.

i really hope this happens! it really looks like it's leading to this, at least.

You probably right. I just assumed most of the nobles wouldn't see her as someone who they needed to be careful around they seemed to dismiss her last season. I could see some of the more arrogant ones not thinking they needed to be careful with their words around. She doesn't seem like someone Louis would listen too or Philippe. But maybe those were the ones who were arrested. I can definitely see her sneaking around and spying for the King.  I wonder what the Court's going to be like now that so many were arrested.           

I really liked her character. From the beginning when she and Philippe met the first time. She brought gifts for his daughters and really seemed disappointed that they weren't with him. Philippe really seemed surprised by that.  

• Love 2

So I just started watching this show. I've finished the first episode and I'm still working through how all of the characters connect.

That said, I was not expecting what happened in the birthing scene. First off, it was extremely horrifying that the queen would have to endure such a scene while giving birth. There were like a million men in the room, none of whom were doctors, while she lay there with her legs propped up and open for giving birth. I can't say enough how horrifying and humiliating that scene was. 

Then the baby is born and I am shocked again. I did not expect that! And LMAO for at least a minute at the shock on the King's face.  Once my shock and laughter passed I realized the situation will likely NOT end well for the wife and the baby.  Though now the wife's strange relationship with her servant Nabo makes sense. 

Edited by Enero
19 minutes ago, Enero said:

So I just started watching this show. I've finished the first episode and I'm still working through how all of the characters connect.

That said, I was not expecting what happened in the birthing scene. First off, it was extremely horrifying that the queen would have to endure such a scene while giving birth. There were like a million men in the room, none of whom were doctors, while she lay there with her legs propped up and open for giving birth. I can't say enough how horrifying and humiliating that scene was. 

That was normal up until Marie Antoinette gave birth for the first time. It was such a mess she refused to go through that the next time. Her husband agreed and there were far fewer people there when she gave birth to her second child.

21 minutes ago, Enero said:

Then the baby is born and I am shocked again. I did not expect that! And LMAO for at least a minute at the shock on the King's face.  Once my shock and laughter passed I realized the situation will likely NOT end well for the wife and the baby.  Though now the wife's strange relationship with her servant Nabo makes sense. 

I was definitely shocked. I laughed too at the King's face even though I knew it probably wouldn't end well for the Queen or her baby. Looks like you weren't the only one having fun elsewhere Louis.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

You probably right. I just assumed most of the nobles wouldn't see her as someone who they needed to be careful around they seemed to dismiss her last season. I could see some of the more arrogant ones not thinking they needed to be careful with their words around. She doesn't seem like someone Louis would listen too or Philippe. But maybe those were the ones who were arrested. I can definitely see her sneaking around and spying for the King.  I wonder what the Court's going to be like now that so many were arrested.           

I really liked her character. From the beginning when she and Philippe met the first time. She brought gifts for his daughters and really seemed disappointed that they weren't with him. Philippe really seemed surprised by that.  

it actually took me a while to get used to her, because since she was said not to be beautiful off the bat i assumed she would be crass and unlikable (yeah totally stupid i know). but she is a new jolt to the palace and i appreciate that.

though her encounter with phillipe was funny, lol. "Where are your children?" "In....Paris????" ?

• Love 2

I'm working my way thru season 2 now (thanks Nexflix).  Wow a lot of sexy time happening on this show!  LoL--I'm just floored how the actors just seem so comfortable in their own skin. 

Seriously though I am enjoying this show and while I do still have trouble keeping the side characters straight as who is who the story lines are compelling.

• Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 9:41 AM, Enero said:

I know I'm quoting you, but avert your eyes until you are halfway through the season lol

Did I understand it correctly that the baby was that black prince's  turned king cause his father died while he was in France? I know the show at that point was trying to convince that it was the servant... But Louis wouldn't blackmail another ruler into alliance with some random black baby... I guess lol

• Love 1
On 4/22/2018 at 8:32 PM, vavera4ka said:

My app that I use to track TV shows just informed me that Versailles is back on Canal+ tomorrow...

is that true? OMG OMG OMG OMG

lol

Looks that way; I hope it comes to Netlix soon!

• Love 1
On 22/04/2018 at 8:32 PM, vavera4ka said:

My app that I use to track TV shows just informed me that Versailles is back on Canal+ tomorrow...

is that true? OMG OMG OMG OMG

lol

yes, i read an article about S3 returning. BBC hacked it though. sad.

would anyone mind if i took up the job of making episode threads for S1 and 2 for the upcoming final one? i made episode 2 of S1 after all.

Edited by Iju
  • Love 1
On 4/9/2018 at 12:14 PM, Ananayel said:

Well, it's official - no season four. The creators are saying they only ever planned for three, but I think Louis' decline would also have been good for many stories.

Merde.

I truly enjoy this series and have grown attached to the characters.   My favorite is Marchand, the Batman of Versailles, complete with flowing cape.   Philippe is very well-played, a good counterpoint to Louis, who's kind of a stiff.   I was dismayed that some of the supporting characters were needlessly killed off in Season Two.   I wondered if it was a budgetary consideration: terminate older characters to introduce new ones.

I don't need every series I watch to be groundbreaking or riveting, must-see drama.   Sometimes it's nice to have a show you can sit back and watch for simple pleasure and relaxation.   I find Versailles' characters and plots to be interesting and amusing, while offering scenery and costuming like few other shows.  I wish it had a future.   Three seasons isn't enough, even if that's what the creators planned.   It feels like the Penny Dreadful syndrome all over again.

• Love 3

I think the costs of production is why the show has been limited to 3 seasons.  The guy was king for 70 years so there’s obviously more story to tell if they wanted to.

I’m not ready to let go of these characters but I haven’t seen season 3 yet so I might be glad it’s over.  Out of the first 2 seasons  I think the first season was the better one and Bring the Garden Here was the best episode out of all of them (I’m here for the Louis and Phillipe relationship and no scene has touched that fireplace scene for me).

• Love 2

I haven't seen Season 3 yet either.   I have only one episode left in Season Two (I have been rationing them to one episode per week).   I didn't go in with high expectations, so disappointments are few.   Little things.  Like how all the bad guys keep slipping away via the hidden panels and corridors behind the wall.  And how exactly was the murdered priest's body hung from a vaulted ceiling 100 feet off the ground?  The Dutch spy always seems to be fighting the urge to  twirl his mustache.   And where did the conspirators get those cool masks in Season One?   Online? 

Know what's funny?  I watched five seasons of Vikings, but had no idea that Louis was Athelstan.   I'm usually very good at spotting actors in different roles.  This one went right over my head.

At first I thought the writers must be taking liberties with the character of Philippe, having him show up at the king's ball in drag, etc., but apparently the real Philippe was just as flamboyant.

(edited)

I'm enjoying season 3 so far.

Spoiler

All the drama that's underway and now the Man in the Iron Mask as well? At least it's giving the Duc d'Orléans some plot of his own.

Edited by Violet Impulse
In case something I said would be considered a spoiler.
  • Love 1
On 7/16/2018 at 9:28 PM, Violet Impulse said:

I'm enjoying season 3 so far.

Reveal hidden contents

All the drama that's underway and now the Man in the Iron Mask as well? At least it's giving the Duc d'Orléans some plot of his own.

wait wth how are you looking at S3????

On 7/28/2018 at 7:35 PM, DHDancer said:

If you know how, it's easy to watch broadcasts on the original channels, in this case Canal (France).  

mess, i haven't seen it on any of my pirate sites tho...

I've watched it all (on BBC Two), but not sure how much of my opinion I can share here if some of you are not done yet. I'd love to discuss it though, wish we could have had episode threads.

i have nothing to do nowadays, why don't i get around to doing it tomorrow or so? no reason why i can't. i'll do S3 on down. this is a show i'm most desperate for discussion because it's one of the rare shows on netflix i adore.

Edited by Iju

New season. Had to go back and watch the last episode of Season 2 to refresh my memory - still lots of last season I'm a little fuzzy on.

Overall impression of the Season 3 opener, I'm not sure I understand what's going on with Philippe. Is he in love with the shoe maker or is he just sad about something else? I don't think the shoe maker is gay. 

I need to review a little history here and try to figure out where they are in the story. So many wars! And now Louis XIV is onto yet another obsession. That's a little tedious. It's a wonder his council was able to put up with him. 

• Love 2

I don't know what to make of Philippe and the Shoemaker either. I kind of lean towards something happened in battle they aren't saying. But I don't know.  I did love his expression at meeting his son. 

Yes, Louis has another obsession. He must exhaust everyone around him. I did like how quickly his servant (I forget his name) shot down his beginning to question about Protestants with a reminder of how his grandfather handled different religions. I bet everyone wishes they knew how to do that with the King. 

Looks like money is going to be a problem. I wonder if manpower is going to a be a problem too with all he wants to do.

• Love 2

I think Phillipe is going through PTSD from war.  Just like in season 1.  In season 1 he was violent towards the Chevalier but this time he just pushes him away.

I think the shoemaker is Phillipe’s brother in arms.  He did save his life and on reading about PTSD, those suffering from it are usually most comfortable with those that had the same experience.  It makes sense to me.  Phillipe seems completely lost in Versailles while he looked genuinely happy to see the shoemaker.

• Love 6

Anyone watch Saturday's episode? I'm loving the investigation into man in the iron mask. Philippe pointing out that Marchal would investigate because he was intrigued. Does Louis know who the man is? If not what believe that his brother fell instead of someone hit him on the head? So is the Man in the Iron mask? Is his blue eyes important? Philippe has blue eyes too. I felt for Liselotte when her baby was taken away.  What do you think of Maintenon? And of Montespan finally being removed?

• Love 1

I had to look up  the story of The Man in the Iron Mask because I was not overly familiar with it. Suffice it to say, if they follow the plot of the novel by Dumas, it will be an interesting story, although it's strange they would inject fable into what is supposed to be more or less historical story-telling. I've tried to brush up on Louis XIV and that period of history to see how closely they are following fact, but most of this show covers interpersonal relationships that they play fast and loose with. (Louis had seven children with Montespan, for example.)

One thing I've realized at this point is that Louis himself is not a terribly likable character. He's impetuous, arrogant and often unpleasant. I'm far more invested in the characters that revolve around him and sometimes wish he would just get out of the way. I have no idea what the hell any woman is thinking by becoming his mistress. It doesn't seem to end well for any of them. 

I hope Palatine gets revenge on Maintenon. I'm not sure where the child was sent to or who is supposed to care of it, or why Palatine simply couldn't go there too.

• Love 5

I find Maintenon to be a very boring character.  Montespan became unlikeable last season but she was a fun character to watch.  I think the show loses something with her gone.  

The relationship between Louis and Maintenon is the least interesting thing about the show IMO.  I just find her to be a more maternal figure for Louis than actual partner.

• Love 9
14 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I had to look up  the story of The Man in the Iron Mask because I was not overly familiar with it. Suffice it to say, if they follow the plot of the novel by Dumas, it will be an interesting story, although it's strange they would inject fable into what is supposed to be more or less historical story-telling. I've tried to brush up on Louis XIV and that period of history to see how closely they are following fact, but most of this show covers interpersonal relationships that they play fast and loose with. (Louis had seven children with Montespan, for example.)

One thing I've realized at this point is that Louis himself is not a terribly likable character. He's impetuous, arrogant and often unpleasant. I'm far more invested in the characters that revolve around him and sometimes wish he would just get out of the way. I have no idea what the hell any woman is thinking by becoming his mistress. It doesn't seem to end well for any of them. 

I hope Palatine gets revenge on Maintenon. I'm not sure where the child was sent to or who is supposed to care of it, or why Palatine simply couldn't go there too.

It'll be interesting what they decide to do with the Man in the Iron Mask historically no one really knows anything. No idea who it was or why. They have freedom to do anything they want or follow Dumas's story. 

I agree about Louis I kept going back and forth on him. But he really isn't likeable. For all his talk about how he's doing things for France and how hard it is for him. In the end it really is bull he does it for himself. He is impetuous, arrogant and unpleasant. He really isn't nice to anyone. Everything that he wants and demands is for himself.  He doesn't have to be so hard on absolutely everyone. When the shoemaker wouldn't tell him the truth. Well of course he wouldn't. Why would he? He doesn't know what the King would do with the truth or to him the messenger. Or lose the contract with the King.  I really don't see why women want to be his mistress either. They watch how they all end. Do they really believe it'll be different with them? Any perks won't last long because there's always another woman to catch his eye. 

I hope Palatine gets revenge too.

7 hours ago, ch1 said:

I find Maintenon to be a very boring character.  Montespan became unlikeable last season but she was a fun character to watch.  I think the show loses something with her gone.  

The relationship between Louis and Maintenon is the least interesting thing about the show IMO.  I just find her to be a more maternal figure for Louis than actual partner.

Montespan was really unlikable last season. But I don't like Maintenon any better. She definitely has a high opinion of herself or she wouldn't have moved to remove Palatine's child from her. I hated her doing that. I also hated for all her religious beliefs, God and praying, she has no problem arranging women for the King. She won't sleep with him of course (or yet) because its wrong and he's married. But then finds other women for him to sleep with. Women who she immediately sends away after sending them to the King. I don't like her for that either.  

• Love 5

I find Maintenon to be a very boring character. 

Me too. I also agree she seems a bit matronly versus Montespan and the relationship with Louis feels more maternal than sexual. But I guess they had to include her.

Spoiler

She eventually marries Louis.

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Me too. I also agree she seems a bit matronly versus Montespan and the relationship with Louis feels more maternal than sexual. But I guess they had to include her.

Reveal hidden contents

She eventually marries Louis.

Spoiler

Yes, he did. Sometime after his wife died and it was kept a secret for awhile 

• Love 1

Anyone see Saturday's episode.  I loved seeing Maintenon taking down.  I know she'll probably be back but it was nice after sending Palatine's baby away and all her acting like she's holier then everyone else even though she arranges women for the King to bed. I really wish Louis had thrown her out of her of his room after being so upset that he chose a woman for himself instead of her picking one out. She wants to control him as much as anyone else. I do like Palatine inviting the artist into ask him about Maintenon realizing he could tell her something to get back at the woman who took her baby away then changing her mind. I didn't like her telling Louis her part in it because while yes she talked to the artist but then tried to get him out of the palace without anyone seeing him. She made a mistake in asking Chevalier of all people get him out of the palace. 

I hated his reaction to Parisian people and his reaction when the sister's shoemaker told him the truth. He can't handle that can he?  
I don't know how I feel about the Queen deciding to betray the King by taking her niece to Madrid or her changing her mind. Its hard since its not like Louis deserves the loyalty or his now wanting 80% of Spain is too much.  I'm not even really sure what she wants.

Spoiler

I hope the plot to killer isn't what explains her death. IRL she died and sometimes later the King married Maintenon.

I like that Philippe immediately knew his wife was hoping to get pregnant to replace the baby taken away from her. His hunt of the Man in the Iron mask is still interesting. 

• Love 5

I'm getting a big kick out of the aftershow with Tygh Runyan (Fabien) and Evan Williams (Chevalier). It's hysterical to see them out of those ridiculous wigs and dressed in modern clothes. I think both are playing characters not too dissimilar from themselves. Runyan seems very quiet and perhaps very shy, whereas Williams seems much more animated and gregarious.  

• Love 3

Williams is definitely a charming guy. Him describing his painting was hysterical.

Regarding the episode, I think the writers j***** Palatine by not having her either confront Louis or talking to Phillipe by bringing up Louis massacring her people and that the only thing she had was her son.  I think this show is trying to do too much in a too limited time frame.   I would rather watch scenes of Phillipe with Palatine and Chevalier than conducting the man in the mask story.  If there was another season it would be fine but as a last season this just isn’t doing it for me.

• Love 5