Type keyword(s) to search

Maine Cabin Masters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 9/23/2020 at 9:23 PM, Shermie said:

So if you call a cabin or cottage a camp, what do you call the place kids go in the summer where they stay for weeks and do crafts and sports? And what do you call it when you set up a tent and sleep and cook there? 

I went to sleepaway  camp in Maine and we called it camp. The first time I saw this show I was very confused by them calling the cottages/houses camps.

• Love 1
On 9/25/2020 at 6:09 PM, NJMom said:

I went to sleepaway  camp in Maine and we called it camp. The first time I saw this show I was very confused by them calling the cottages/houses camps.

Camp/Cottage- who cares what they call it, I just wish I had one to go to!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I sure hope this show gets picked up on one of the Discover + networks - I am considering cutting cable but I can't watch MCM now because I don't have DIY and apparently the Magnolia network is taking the place of DIY.

7 hours ago, RoxiP said:

I sure hope this show gets picked up on one of the Discover + networks - I am considering cutting cable but I can't watch MCM now because I don't have DIY and apparently the Magnolia network is taking the place of DIY.

This is the last season on DIY. Next season it will be on HGTV.

• Love 1

I really appreciate this show and have followed it since the early “Lance” days. I’m pretty sure the main motivation for the crew is to help maintain a lifestyle which is quickly disappearing in many areas of the NE US. Wherever there’s water/forestland, large parcels of land are being purchased, smaller structures leveled and McMansions being built. 

As far as the word “camp” goes, I believe it must be considered in context. If you ship the kids off to camp for a few weeks, you understand they’ll be sleeping in cabins or platform tents and be ushered around to various activities throughout the day. My maternal grandmother had a camp on a nearby lake that I only vaguely remember. The eldest maternal aunt had a camp on a different lake. A paternal aunt lived on a farm on that same lake and maintained/rented out 6 camps along the shore to subsidize the dairy income. All of the structures resembled the structures MCMs tackle, some with lofts or second floors. 

Right after graduation from college, I was invited to a wedding held at a country club in the eastern Adirondacks. We “school chums” stayed in the bride’s parents’ “cottage”. The “cottage” turned out to be a 5000 sq. ft. house with three full floors and 7 bedrooms. 

For a real eye-opener, check out the history of The Adirondack Great Camps.  

• Love 3

This is still a great show but whatever was in it during the first 2-3 years is missing (at least for me): Dixie making chowdah, grilling hot dogs on the shore of the lake where they're working, the interesting history of the very old camps, etc.  And, of course, Lance.  He brought the "Maine-ah" to MCM (altho' Dixie has a lot of it too, but with Lance--it's not subtle).  I'm glad such a wonderful group of friends is having so much success with their TV show--they work so hard and creatively and deserve it.

• Love 1

Is anyone watching? There’s been a new episode every week for the last 4 weeks. Someone commented above that the newer episodes are quite different from the earlier seasons. I think that they’re working with slightly larger budgets and these newer renovations are more involved. We see the same problems and solutions, but there seem to be more of them in each camp of the week. I don’t think they can show it all in an hour long program, so they’ve moved to a camera shot montage of the process with one of the crew narrating the progress. Even after 5 seasons I still look forward to this show every week!

• Love 2

I wish but I don’t have DIY Network. Perhaps what you're describing is different but they’ve always featured one of the guys (usually Chase or Ryan) walking through doing narration about the process in a kind of slow motion montage. 

Edited by RoxiP

Sorry that you aren’t able to watch. Maybe they’ll take previous seasons to the new network. That’s how I watched seasons 1-3, during summer marathons. Anyway, they are still doing what you describe - the crew member walks through and describes where they’re going with the work as the camera pans around the rooms. However, now, toward the 2/3 or 3/4 of the way through the program they speed up the action, showing how it all was buttoned up and it’s usually Chase narrating (sight unseen). Maybe they just want to show that they’re still using sound techniques and not cutting corners. Maybe they just have a new editor. This last show was interesting because they always talk about how they have to build in less than ideal situations. Nothing is plumb or level, with oddball past construction measurements to deal with. This time they had to make some unusual adjustments to window and door openings. 

I loved the latest episode where they expanded the cabin for the writer and his dad. To me it seemed like a perfect one or two person cabin. If I ever decide to become a hermit, a place like that is exactly where I would want to live. Just me a a big dog like the writer had.

• Love 1

I liked that the dad got to see it, and hopefully, spend some time there. 
On another topic, I’ve often wondered if, back in Chase/Ashley’s dad’s day (before they were a gleam....) the whole endeavor didn’t start out as a hand-painted, roadside sign: “Camp Jacking” with phone number (7 digits). If so, aren’t ambition, skills, vision, and confidence grand things!

I forgot to add to the (7 digits), probably a party line, call back if busy. 

The cabin is a "cabin", but the "camp" is the whole property, with cabin, boat dock, barbecue & outdoor eating area, horse-shoe pitch and other things for the kids and adults to do.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

That’s an interesting way to view it, and it makes perfect sense. This latest episode-former boathouse turned camp-I listened carefully as they discussed what was to be done and on throughout the progress. Chase initially asked what they wanted done to the “cabin”. Then, as work began with the felling of obstructive trees, he clearly said that the huge pine was growing right up against the “camp”. Seems Chase and the others use the terms interchangeably. 

I liked the latest episode-a filler compilation of Ashley’s favorite moments. Didn’t think I would because fillers are usually boring rehash, but most of the moments were humorous and it moved right along. 

53 minutes ago, Daff said:

I liked the latest episode-a filler compilation of Ashley’s favorite moments. Didn’t think I would because fillers are usually boring rehash, but most of the moments were humorous and it moved right along. 

Which was her favorite place to renovate? I missed the show.

4 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Which was her favorite place to renovate? I missed the show.

I’d have to take a second look to see if she mentioned a fav reno, but mostly just hijinks and pranks. Thinking back, I guess what made it better than the average filler-seems like there were quite a few deleted scenes tucked in at just the right times. Which makes me wonder....how much creative control the team has in the editing process (if any). I’ll take a second look, but she might have identified a favorite in a past compilation episode labeled as “MCM’s Top 10 Favorite” cabin makeovers (had those earlier on DVR, but they’ve been removed). 

• Love 1
On 5/6/2021 at 3:50 PM, Daff said:

I’d have to take a second look to see if she mentioned a fav reno, but mostly just hijinks and pranks. Thinking back, I guess what made it better than the average filler-seems like there were quite a few deleted scenes tucked in at just the right times. Which makes me wonder....how much creative control the team has in the editing process (if any). I’ll take a second look, but she might have identified a favorite in a past compilation episode labeled as “MCM’s Top 10 Favorite” cabin makeovers (had those earlier on DVR, but they’ve been removed). 

I like Ashley but her decorating has a lot to be desired.  Some of it is just downright strange.

• Love 1
Just now, justdoit10 said:

I like Ashley but her decorating has a lot to be desired.  Some of it is just downright strange. The floor splash with paint was horrid.  That frame she made out of sticks,  some of her paint colors(although not sure if it is a choice).  Now her and Ryan have a nice house from the few pics I have seen.

• Love 1
(edited)

Went back to take a second look, and now I appreciate this episode even more. It really was a compilation of favorites- starting with modes of transport to the job sites. If I saw the helicopter episode, I’ve forgotten it and she admitted she had to recover from motion sickness before she could continue taping after the seaplane.  It went on to include artisan contributors (51 in all, 52, if you count her award-winning brother, Chase). Lots of trivia. 
As for design and style, yeah, I agree, some of the colors were unexpected, but overall, when revealed, I’ve never seen one I absolutely hated. The splotchy-paint floor, I can understand might not be to everyone’s taste, but I’ll bet it’ll hide the dirt. Moreover, it’s a current, popular concrete floor treatment.
 Living in an area where these kinds of lakefront structures have been popular and valued since the early 1900’s, there’s a tradition of decorating that includes local artisanship/materials, pastime themes, frivolity, and a lot of kitsch!
It is “camp” after all, and it keeps your home neat and tidy. 

Edited by Daff
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Daff said:

At the end, Ashley admits that one reveal that “really sticks out” for her was her mother’s camp. 

Oh...the A-frame where they had a competition renovating her mom's place and one next door.

Well, this week’s offering was Chase’s Favorite memories. He explained how the team came to be televised as MCM. I didn’t realize the Daggett camp reno was the pilot (the big red one with light blue trim that belonged to the late politician). There was focus on the family, with lots of pictures and, not surprisingly, Chase’s favorite was their family’s bunkhouse. The “junk” issue is covered quite extensively and Chase’s artistic use of found materials definitely came from his father, beginning at a very early age (one of his dad’s creations, pictured, was a heron taking flight-they hung it in a tree). One thing, at the end he invites us to keep tuning in for more special episodes of MCM, which implies they are out of new renovation footage for this season. I really miss this show between seasons. 

• Love 1

Thanks for the description of the latest episode. I wish, in the future, they'd inject a bit of the "old friends togetherness" again. It's been missing since the end of season 3. IMO, without that special touch, MCM seems too similar to other building shows. I liked the Daggett camp episode as the house looks so much like a family friend's old place on Long Lake.

• Love 1

There was some footage of them cooking those neon red hotdogs. Never saw them before, even though I’ve been to Maine quite a bit. Must be an acquired taste. Our local makes a regular hot dog and a white one, called Snappy. It has nutmeg and other spices that I’m not particularly fond of in a savory, rather than sweet food. To further your topic, there was a segment showing what the guys and gals like to do when they have a break. Deleted footage of the guys fishing. 

I loved the episode when Dixie made chowder (chowdah!) in a cabin they were working on. And when the group sat on a lake shore eating hot dogs they'd grilled. These scenes don't take long, may 2 minutes. But they add that something extra, something homey that other building shows don't have (at least from what I've seen). 

• Love 1

I think they've moved on from establishing that they are all good friends and are now letting Dixie and Jedi be more proactive in showing how much they contribute to the remodels of the camps - how much they are valued.  Dixie and Jedi also speak a lot more showing what they are doing.  Or at least that is how it seems to me.  Quite honestly I could do with less Ryan and Ashley and more Chase, Dixie and Jedi.

28 minutes ago, RoxiP said:

Quite honestly I could do with less Ryan and Ashley and more Chase, Dixie and Jedi.

Yes to this!! ^^^^ Ryan has become the Chip Gaines of Maine and Ashley has always been hard to understand as she swallows half her words. 

• Love 3
On 5/14/2021 at 2:06 PM, Daff said:

There was some footage of them cooking those neon red hotdogs. Never saw them before, even though I’ve been to Maine quite a bit. Must be an acquired taste. Our local makes a regular hot dog and a white one, called Snappy. It has nutmeg and other spices that I’m not particularly fond of in a savory, rather than sweet food. To further your topic, there was a segment showing what the guys and gals like to do when they have a break. Deleted footage of the guys fishing. 

BBM.  Can I ask where you are located?  I live in the original home of the white hot, aka Rochester NY, and have never heard of anyone other than locals or former Rochestarians that have heard/seen one or anywhere else that has them!  You cannot even get them 60 miles away in Buffalo or Syracuse, they are definitely a Rochester only thing.  Whenever we travel people always want us to bring them some.  I have taken a case on plane to Portland, Oregon, have driven them across country to Montana, and shipped them to FL.  They are definitely my fave.  I can't even remember last time I ate a red hot!

Oh...and I love love this show.  Dreaming of the day I win the lottery and can buy my own cottage/cabin/camp and have the crew come and renovate it for me.  Lance included....I will lure him out of retirement!  lol

• Love 3
(edited)

BBM.  Can I ask where you are located? 

When I was a child, Hoffman’s hot dogs and “snappys” (the white ones) were sold exclusively at a stand (only open in season) in Liverpool, NY (N of Syracuse). It wasn’t too far from the baseball stadium, and the regional farmer’s market, so it was always busy.  Long lines, no sides (maybe fries…but only mustard early on, no catsup). In my 20s and 30s, they expanded to another stand and began to sell quantities to grocery stores. Today, every supermarket sells them year ‘round. Large quantities in the cases for summer, less so during winter. And yes, I’ve carted them off to other CNY “expats” when visiting. 

Oops, spelled the name wrong (been to the grocery store). Hofmann’s- manufactured in Syracuse. 

Edited by Daff
  • Love 1

I’ve loved this show since the first time I watched it. I think these characters are so fun and charming and real. They are who they are and what they are and are proud of each other. I love the way they all tease each other and support each other. We should all be so lucky to have these kinds of colleagues and life long friends. 

• Love 5
On 9/22/2021 at 12:54 AM, luvmylabs said:

Does anyone know if they are filming a new season?

They are filming a new season and they announced on Facebook today that they have been picked up when DIY becomes the Magnolia Network when it comes to cable.

On 9/28/2021 at 9:36 PM, RoxiP said:

They are filming a new season and they announced on Facebook today that they have been picked up when DIY becomes the Magnolia Network when it comes to cable.

Does that mean we will have to pay for it?

On 9/22/2021 at 1:54 AM, luvmylabs said:

Does anyone know if they are filming a new season?

New episode was aired on Monday, 11/29/21. Very interesting, and I enjoyed it as usual, but it seemed a little “cold”. Maybe it’s just the weather, season, but I missed the usual closeness among the crew. I found it compelling that they were limited by the tides, as several vacations I’ve taken required following the tide tables to plan activities. If it’s not a daily requirement for work, it really does take some logistical planning and research!
I did balk at an early (intro) clip of Chase getting kickback on a chop saw.  I played it back several times, and I can’t understand why they did it, and why Chase agreed to it (drama?). I certainly can do without it (this show doesn’t need it), and an experienced carpenter like Chase knows better! However small the piece is, no matter the time restraints, no matter the material to be cut, you don’t apply the blade to the piece to be cut until the blade is up to speed! Really surprised by that-why would you show that?
It IS nice to have a new episode, though, so it was fun to watch. Everyone looks winter-weary and tired. Too little Dixie and Jedi. Not enough warmth. 

• Love 2

I haven't watched MCM in a while. It changed after season 3. What was so appealing to me about this show was the friendship, the little cookouts, and the occasional historic cabins. Those things were what made MCM stand out from all the other home restoring, rebuilding, fix-'em-up shows. I watched a little bit on Monday night but just couldn't get into it.

• Useful 1

There have been three or four new episodes in December. They’re working through winter (probably last). In one, Dixie brought a whole spread, including the shockingly colored “snappy reds”!

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Daff said:

Just letting people know that with the change to “Magnolia” channel, my DVR is still scheduled to record a new episode on 1/10. 

Probably because the channel number didn't change.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Probably because the channel number didn't change.

I figured that, but my DVR seems to have a mind of its own. One little change and it thinks it knows better. For instance, if a weekly or daily program adds the word “special” (as in Xmas, holiday, etc), it won’t tape that program. I’m always having to check. 

• Love 1

Dang, I like MCM and want to watch the new and old episodes, but I don't want to contribute to this Gaines' Magnolia network.  And by contribute, I mean, that they can count me as a viewer.  Me being just one viewer makes absolutely no difference, but it's the principle of the thing.  I guess it's "cutting off my nose to spite my face" kinda thing. 

• Love 3