Type keyword(s) to search

Maine Cabin Masters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Watching it also. Love the show. 

It has showed her having help before. She has never talked about having any formal training. I'm with you, I think someone else does the design and she is the on screen face. 

Doesn't matter, love the show and the people. Especially Dixie. 

• Love 3

Was watching an episode - I think it was the client  with the missing finger - and saw a helper for the first time ever. Cant remember if there’s anything in the VO about her though. 

I like the way Ashley - and sometimes Chase - are shown st a suppliers place so we can learn about the craft or product. The guy who made rocking toys and the glass blowers; or even craftsmen who work at one of the sites - like  the brick masons.

I used to really enjoy Home Town but am tiring of the increasing focus on Ben’s devout devotion to his lady, as well as on her multi-talents and exquisite divaness: “I’m a great belter of songs but I am an introverted, delicate flower and arentvwe both just beyond wonderful?”  - as Ben anticipates her every whim. 

Or maybe I need to stop reading about them. 

Ha!

i still really enjoy the design and restoration and sense of conservation on both shows. But I’d far prefer to spend time with the  Cabin Masters, who I guess just seem way more like they’re regular folks when the cameras stop.  And also, choosing between Mississippi and Maine ... not a moment’s hesitation: Maine. 

Edited by BckpckFullaNinjas
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, Reality police said:

It has showed her having help before.

I remember that.  I think she's referred to someone as her assistant on a couple of episodes, but I have a feeling that's not how it really works.  I guess that if there's a pretense, that's what keeps it a family group.

33 minutes ago, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

And also, choosing between Mississippi and Maine ... not a moment’s hesitation: Maine. 

Not even close.  I love it here.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Tennessee is beautiful.  We toyed with the idea of moving to Knoxville a while back.  But we thought the cold might preserve us better.

The mountains are gorgeous, I live in East tenn. My dad lives in coastal Georgia and I love it there, but the mountains are home.

Mt-Leconte-Winter.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Just gorgeous.  That looks like a painting. 

I also adore coastal Georgia.  We both fell in love with Brunswick when we were there for a visit.  In fact, I can't think of anyplace in America that I would say something unkind about.  We're lucky to live in this country, wherever we find ourselves, as long as we're all treated as equals.

Really beautiful, @Reality police.  If you tell me that's the view out your window, I will be seriously jealous.

On topic, I liked the exterior colors they chose for the last two camps.  Mustard for standing out against the landscape and forest green for blending in.

• Love 4

I'm so glad the show is back on TV again (and that they've already learned they've got season 4 approved - yay!)  Count me as surprised that Ashley is not the designer but just sort of playing the role on the show.  Of course, in order to do that (designing) well, she'd need a background in design and maybe she's just a good amateur.  It's all ok with me cause I really like these people. Too bad Francis isn't getting much face time but then again, he's not Lance (no one else can be a Lance--a one in a million guy).   I think this Monday night will be a rerun and I'm wondering if New Year's Eve will also be a rerun. Hope so cause we'll be on vacation and I don't want to miss any new episodes, having waited soooooo long for this new season.  Re: Dixie?  He really comes across as a super nice guy.  I'll always remember him saying he loves a Lab, especially a 3 legged Lab.

• Love 4

@Mondrianyone, I don’t mean to say unkind things about any place but I am a 3-season kinda ninja and the summer heat and humidity — **shudder!!**

I enjoyed when Lance would appear and Ashley would loosen up from whatever was stressing her, just by him being there.  He was her “calming goat,” I think — a concept I only recently learned of: Horse tracks keep companion goats in some racehorses’ stalls since the horses are high-strung to begin with and nervous at race time.  

Edited by BckpckFullaNinjas
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Mondrianyone said:

Just gorgeous.  That looks like a painting. 

I also adore coastal Georgia.  We both fell in love with Brunswick when we were there for a visit.  In fact, I can't think of anyplace in America that I would say something unkind about.  We're lucky to live in this country, wherever we find ourselves, as long as we're all treated as equals.

Really beautiful, @Reality police.  If you tell me that's the view out your window, I will be seriously jealous.

On topic, I liked the exterior colors they chose for the last two camps.  Mustard for standing out against the landscape and forest green for blending in.

Golden isles are  where my dad is. They are beautiful. 

As for the view, not mine sad to say. But it's all around me. Next good snow I'll get a pix. 

Love the show and most of the time I like the colors. Do you remember tbe blue one they did last year? Gorgeous. 

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

@Mondrianyone, I don’t mean to say unkind things about any place but I am a 3-season kinda ninja and the summer heat and humidity — **shudder!!**

Oh, no, never thought you would--or did!  Seriously.  I, too, melt in the heat and humidity.  When I was a kid, I'd sleep in the bathtub in the summer, just for the coolness of the porcelain.  I knew for real that I belonged here in the frozen north the night I went out to brush the snow off the satellite dish, wearing a T-shirt, panties, and rubber boots.  They should create a Heroes from Away medal in my name.

4 minutes ago, Reality police said:

Do you remember tbe blue one they did last year? Gorgeous.

I do, and I agree.

• Love 3

Was the blue house the one with the lights suspended from an overturned canoe nailed to the porch ceiling?  I loved that house.  IMO it's the prettiest one they ever did.  For some reason, I thought it was from Season One.  They don't seem to show that episode in reruns, unfortunately.

• Love 2
On 12/22/2018 at 11:07 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Was the blue house the one with the lights suspended from an overturned canoe nailed to the porch ceiling?  I loved that house.  IMO it's the prettiest one they ever did.  For some reason, I thought it was from Season One.  They don't seem to show that episode in reruns, unfortunately.

I think so. It may have been from S1. When they rerun them i don't always keep them straight as to which season.

I would love to go to Maine. 

Edited by Reality police
  • Love 1

In Season 1, I just happened to stop on DIY because the house reminded me of my parents' friends' summer house on a lake in Maine--similar design and right up against the water (hardly any front yard). I think that was the Daggett house.  The late mom of that family was a well known/admired politician in Maine.  Anyway, I loved the show and have been hooked ever since.  The only house I'd still be afraid to sleep in would be the Bunganoc (sp?) Creek house with the tide coming in and out.  They did a beautiful job renovating, but still...

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 2

Looks like I'm the only one here. Helloooo? What do you all think of Season 3? I noticed that tonight's episode had no silliness in it (thank goodness!) I'm wondering if the silly stuff was edited out recently due to complaints, or maybe because they had a bunch of issues (e g., getting supplies to the cabin, wrong windows delivered, getting rid of piano, etc). Ashley got her two trips shown which was nice. All in all, a good episode that reminded me of Season One.

• Love 3

You are not alone! I love this show. Haven’t seen this most recent one do can't remark on silliness. I’ve never found the silly/cutesy factor to be a problem here, unlike the preciousness they were afflicting Home Town with. 

I’ve got the one where they build Chase’s barn on erase-protect. It gives me all the happies to see friends helping friends, without a lot of self-promotion nor humble-bragging about their achievements. I mean, Chase’s older daughters’ bedrooms were in a house addition with his workshop? I can identify!!! 

• Love 3

Love this show! My BIL is from Maine, and he and my sister lived there for a while (my nephew and niece were both born there), but returned to CA for work.  Though the accents are same as my BIL's!

My other sister and I visited while they were living there, and I had such a good time. I enjoy going to the East coast because it's so different from here, and everything is so old. I fell in love with Bar Harbor...we stayed at this really homey hotel on the bay, and as we returned from dinner that night there was this gorgeous full moon shining on the water -- intensely beautiful. I've never lived with snow, so I don't think I could live there full-time (too old to adjust!) but I could spend a few seasons a year there.

• Love 5

The maker of those Adirondack chairs for last night's episode is a friend of ours.  We had no idea he was going to be on, and then suddenly there he was!  I don't know why he didn't get the courtesy of having his name mentioned (closed caption said "Man"), as they always do with artists and craftspeople who are featured on the show.  His name is Rob Lemire, and his chairs really are both beautiful and comfortable.  I'm going to have to ask him if he gave them those chairs for free for the honor of going nameless.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Mondrianyone said:

The maker of those Adirondack chairs for last night's episode is a friend of ours.  We had no idea he was going to be on, and then suddenly there he was!  I don't know why he didn't get the courtesy of having his name mentioned (closed caption said "Man"), as they always do with artists and craftspeople who are featured on the show.  His name is Rob Lemire, and his chairs really are both beautiful and comfortable.  I'm going to have to ask him if he gave them those chairs for free for the honor of going nameless.

Loved that he changed the angle and height of the seat for his customers. Much as I love the looks of that style, I’ve never been comfy in one. His? Looked promising.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

Much as I love the looks of that style, I’ve never been comfy in one.

My experience, too.  I was prepared to tell a polite lie the first time I sat in one of his chairs, but I didn't have to.  He's managed to tweak all the uncomfortable angles and soften sharp edges so that they really are surprisingly comfy to sit in, compared to the previous Adirondacks I've known and not loved.

• Love 4

That's amzing info' about the Adirondack chairs.  They've always been inviting to me but then when I'd sit in them--yeow (even as a little kid).  I thought they did mention his name but then, maybe I wasn't paying attention to the audio (too distracted by the visuals!!)  Loved the three chairs together for the three friends to sit, have a Mai Tai and watch the sun set.   I'm temporarily off facebook (technical issues driving me nutz) so I can't check their facebook page to see if they mentioned this creative man. I bet they're going to get a lot of calls, emails, etc, asking for his name. Anyone who can make these chairs comfy is a genius.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

@annzeepark914, the chairs are made by women!! I just saw an article on their craftsmanship but having trouble finding it. Maybe a search of the MCM website will help! 

And remember, the camp drink is the Adirondacquiri! 

8-D

Hilarious! Adirondacquiri 😃

• Love 1

@BckpckFullaNinjas:  Thanks so much for the link.  What a great company!  If I had a summer place, I'd order those chairs (at least one chair custom ordered to fit me, of course). So the two women are employees but they build all the chairs, Wonder what they're now building while elsewhere employed.  They all better be eating their Wheaties cause they're going to be mega busy this summer, thanks to MCM🙂

• Love 1

Adirondack chairs have always been my favorite, that is until it's time to get up.  I am not a large person but I feel like two-ton-tilly trying to hoist my carcass out of those things.   I just admire them from afar now.

The tiki hut needed to be painted the same color as the house.   I loved that red. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

For some odd reason, I couldn't get into last night's show. Maybe because they weren't saving an old cabin but fixing up a yurt. I love it when they restore a really old place (& discover newspapers or calendars from the 50's).  Wish Lance would drop by for a couple minutes. I miss that character!

Yeah, the yurt one was a little different, but it was interesting to see how one it taken apart and that it is not altogether easy to put it back together. I couldn't imagine going and staying in it when everything is frozen over (I believe the owners wanted to do ice fishing?), but I'm not much for camping anyway.

• Love 1

We have friends who lived in a yurt for at least two years while they were building a house.  But theirs was considerably bigger than the one on MCM, and they just needed to have room for two parents and two kids.  I was trying to figure out where six people were going to sleep in that little yurt once they took out the mattresses and that large couch.  All I spotted was a single futon, which could no way accommodate two adults and four kids.  I was expecting them to show or tell us about air mattresses or folding cots or something, but that didn't happen.  I don't think the use of space was very well thought out.  Or thought out at all, really, from what I saw.

I was also expecting more innovative use of furniture in the yurt.  Kind of like the way things do double duty in a camper... this table and chairs turns into a bed, this couch opens up to a bed, this bed folds out of the wall, etc.   Granted there aren't exactly "walls" in a yurt, but I wanted more than sleeping bag space.

Exactly what I was hoping to see.  There's all kinds of multi-use furniture around these days.  And since the yurt isn't going anywhere, what was to stop them from installing walls of some sort?  Or folding screens for privacy, at least, for when people are, say, changing clothes and don't need to be on display.  The sleeping situation seemed like the most basic one to address, but they didn't really address anything.  I saw a documentary on Mongolian nomads a few years ago, and they rely heavily on rugs and blankets as furnishings and floor coverings and bedding, so why hot play off that idea in some modern way?  Could've been such an interesting and informative episode but turned out to be a huge disappointment.

17 hours ago, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

The multi-use furniture would’ve been nice, but gads, $15,000 for everything the MCMs did seems like a pittance. 

Usually they redo a whole house, reroof it, build a deck, plus landscaping and maybe a dock for twice that.  So it seems odd that all they did was move a portable structure and build a small round platform (and an outhouse) for half the standard budget.  Normally I'm amazed at how much they do for the budget they have.  This time I found myself wondering where $10k of that $15k went.

@Mondrianyone, interesting that our reactions were so opposite. I usually look askance at claims that they did everything in a build for the amount they’re given.  Maybe my contractors overcharged me!!! It’s realky the only thing I have to compare it to. 

One more thought: did they say they spent the entire amount?  Could a large portion have gone to transporting all the pieces? 

• Love 1

Well, that's what makes horse races!  Or so they say.  🐎

I don't remember anyone saying they used the whole budget, but usually if they're under, there's mention of that.  And I definitely don't remember hearing that.

Didn't they load the yurt pieces onto a rowboat?  I'm a little foggy on what two points it went from and two, but if rowing it was the only transport, then that probably didn't eat up much budget.

I don't mean to seem cranky.  I was just really thinking this was going to be so interesting, and it let me down.  But don't let me pee on your parade!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Y

6 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Well, that's what makes horse races!  Or so they say.  🐎

I don't remember anyone saying they used the whole budget, but usually if they're under, there's mention of that.  And I definitely don't remember hearing that.

Didn't they load the yurt pieces onto a rowboat?  I'm a little foggy on what two points it went from and two, but if rowing it was the only transport, then that probably didn't eat up much budget.

I don't mean to seem cranky.  I was just really thinking this was going to be so interesting, and it let me down.  But don't let me pee on your parade!

You are fine! It’d take a lot more than a difference of opinion to rain (or something) on my parade! You don’t seem cranky at all. I’ll force myself (ha!) to watch it again. I’ve been finding some eps I’ve not seen before and having such a good time watching new transformations! 

• Love 2

What were they thinking putting the hideous mac and cheese color on the windows and trim of that blue-roofed cabin??   Yuck.    I bet the owners change that first thing.     Did the little bunkhouse/clubhouse have any kind of heat source?    It didn't look like it to me.   That place will be too cold to play in except for summer.

I wasn't too keen on the colors but if it were mine, I wouldn't spend any $$ on repainting. For some reason, the houses this season (excluding the yurt) have been a bit confusing to me (figuring out the layout). Maybe they have a new camera person?  I can see the main room & kitchen, but it's hard to figure out where the bedrms are in relation to the main area.  

• Love 1
18 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I wasn't too keen on the colors but if it were mine, I wouldn't spend any $$ on repainting. For some reason, the houses this season (excluding the yurt) have been a bit confusing to me (figuring out the layout). Maybe they have a new camera person?  I can see the main room & kitchen, but it's hard to figure out where the bedrms are in relation to the main area.  

I’m hoping some time they’ll have before & after photos and layouts somewhere. Their solutions seriously do seem creative. 

• Love 1

Last night's show was sweet because it was about Dixie who is such a nice guy. He comes from a seemingly close &  loving family.  I think the cabin masters did a superb job renovating what looked like a shack into a very attractive summer home...er, camp. That job had to have cost more than $25,000!

Does anyone else have a hard time understanding what Ashley is saying?

14 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Last night's show was sweet because it was about Dixie who is such a nice guy. He comes from a seemingly close &  loving family.  I think the cabin masters did a superb job renovating what looked like a shack into a very attractive summer home...er, camp. That job had to have cost more than $25,000!

Does anyone else have a hard time understanding what Ashley is saying?

I do, sometimes. But I still like her so much!

Mammy and her lack of filter gave me hope for all my friends who are similarly ... blessed. Some times I wonder if they’re gonna survive another day. But Mammy’s gotten to 92!  (Possibly living out in near-nowhere has helped.)

I never don’t laugh, several times, every episode.  And none of it seems staged.  Looking forward to S4 but praying TPTB don’t mess with the formula! 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

I do, sometimes. But I still like her so much!

Mammy and her lack of filter gave me hope for all my friends who are similarly ... blessed. Some times I wonder if they’re gonna survive another day. But Mammy’s gotten to 92!  (Possibly living out in near-nowhere has helped.)

I never don’t laugh, several times, every episode.  And none of it seems staged.  Looking forward to S4 but praying TPTB don’t mess with the formula! 

Good to know it's not just me! But she's such a sport to survive being the only female on that team (good thing they're really nice guys). 

The "Mammys" of the world are not my cup of tea, but this one does have a lovely family.

Yup...praying that they don't turn Ryan into Chip Gaines. 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Good to know it's not just me! But she's such a sport to survive being the only female on that team (good thing they're really nice guys). 

I’m sure being the boss’s sister and married to the boss's “Voice of reason” helps her survival chances. Heh!

And this is just my opinion, but as cranky as she can get, she’s not really high-maintenance.  Home Town’s Erin Napier, with her stated need to be touching or st least close to her husband Ben as much as possible — that’s the kind of femaleness that, in my experience, wears on a crew of guys.  

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

And this is just my opinion, but as cranky as she can get, she’s not really high-maintenance.

I totally agree. I think it's kind of funny when she tries to dodge hard work or get the guys to do it for her. At first I was annoyed, but now I see it as the kind of teasing that goes on between siblings and friends. She does do her part, and I like the camaraderie between her and her brother and her husband.

• Love 3