Type keyword(s) to search

Maine Cabin Masters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I just started watching this yesterday --I have a real love of good hard working guys and I love how every member of the crew is a full character on this show.     

My idea of heaven has always been to live out in the woods near a lake or creek--not sure I'm up to some of the more rustic builds they do but a few of the places are really beautiful and I would love to live there (I know it's probably not viable in the dead of winter, but I can dream!

Also, all of them have truly stellar heads of hair---Ryan's hair seems to have a life of it's own.   Sometimes I wonder how he even gets it to stand out like that!.

• Love 2
On 7/5/2019 at 11:01 AM, car54 said:

I just started watching this yesterday --I have a real love of good hard working guys and I love how every member of the crew is a full character on this show.     

My idea of heaven has always been to live out in the woods near a lake or creek--not sure I'm up to some of the more rustic builds they do but a few of the places are really beautiful and I would love to live there (I know it's probably not viable in the dead of winter, but I can dream!

Also, all of them have truly stellar heads of hair---Ryan's hair seems to have a life of it's own.   Sometimes I wonder how he even gets it to stand out like that!.

Welcome to fandom! I love the show too. 

• Love 2

I think I'm watching the first episode of Season 4. For some reason, I'm not into it...&  I've been a *big* fan of this show from episode one.  Not sure what's bothering me about the new show. Maybe I enjoyed the old cabins, with their history, that I'm not seeing now. 

23 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I think I'm watching the first episode of Season 4. For some reason, I'm not into it...&  I've been a *big* fan of this show from episode one.  Not sure what's bothering me about the new show. Maybe I enjoyed the old cabins, with their history, that I'm not seeing now. 

EDITING TO SAY ... Just rewatched and enjoyed it immensely. It must’ve been my IRL woes that made me critical. So: 

Uh oh.... I had a similar response a few minutes in , but put it down to distractions IRL.

Things that are still bothering me now, a few hours after half-attentively watching it:  the arrival by train. I totally get using local touristy/historical features - but the episode spent way too much time on the 3 of them and the dog aimlessly wandering around the railcar  

The computer graphic of plans, rather than Chase’s whiteboard sketching. 

The inclusion of Chase’s kids. Granted, the boy is pretty sharp to think of stabilizing the wheels on the bench, but I don’t want to see the kids.  

I’ll watch it again more attentively and comment - maybe. I hope my dissatisfaction with life in general was the problem, not the show. 

Edited by BckpckFullaNinjas
  • Love 1

Watching it a second time without distractions, it was fine. Still can do without any children as part of the process (though I didn’t mind when the cousins did something ancillary like making the xylophone for the YMCA playhouse a couple years ago, or when they got their ponies from Vengeful Lance, hee).

Like that Chase’s new intro mentions that they are best friends. That’s a lot of what I enjoy - the respect and cheerful teasing that goes on amongst them. 

The woodcarver was cool; loved all the references to how they used stuff from the cabin iwner’s Family’s (junk) pike along with whatever Chase had on-hand in his

Yep! Still a super fan. 

• Love 2

I happened to catch a rerun of a season 1 episode a few days ago. Good ol' Lance arrived at the work site early cause he didn't get or read the email sent out about a new arrival time (he said, in his Lance style, that he doesn't understand all this new technology). So, he started a fire in the fireplace. When the rest of the crew arrived, he greeted  "the second shift". I wish he'd pop in from time to time cause his presence is sorely missed. I saw a promo re: season 4...that it will start in early January.

• Love 2

Personally, I don’t miss Lance at all, but maybe his anti-authoritarian shtick is needed now & then; but in small doses. 

I watched a few early seasons shows and think I’ve figured out what was missing, for me, in S4E1:  Dixie & Jedi. My semi-educated guess is that the post-production folks threw this together in a rush.  

It was fine, but it was hurried. Lots of Ryan - again which is fine, but Dix & Jed are necessary for some “pop” in the tale of the rehab. 

And I heart Ashley completely until this episode, where (IIRC) she’s kind of giddy and almost cutesy. Had more than enough of that from Erin Napier and before her, Chip Whosis. 

Hoping the remaining new eps are way more than “fine,” again.

Oh, also - keep Chase’s kids out of the design process on tv. I don’t know why, the thing with his young son annoyed me.  Loved that the kid knew to “stable” the wheels for the bench, but I could’ve seen it in a flashback with VO, or something. 

Thats all I got 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

I watched a few early seasons shows and think I’ve figured out what was missing, for me, in S4E1:  Dixie & Jedi. My semi-educated guess is that the post-production folks threw this together in a rush.  

It was fine, but it was hurried. Lots of Ryan - again which is fine, but Dix & Jed are necessary for some “pop” in the tale of the rehab. 

And I heart Ashley completely until this episode, where (IIRC) she’s kind of giddy and almost cutesy. Had more than enough of that from Erin Napier and before her, Chip Whosis. 

Hoping the remaining new eps are way more than “fine,” again.

I got sick of Ryan early on. He's not as funny as he thinks he is and he's becoming the Chip Gaines of the north. I guess this episode was thrown together as a promo for the new season...thus the lack of some expected crew members. Hope they have some interesting camps this season. I love the ones built in the 30's & 40's.

• Love 1
On 12/13/2019 at 9:43 PM, annzeepark914 said:

the Chip Gaines of the north.

Oh, my heart and stomach! The very thought. 

Hoping against hope next week’s (month’s) episodes are better.  Read where the family’s winter vacay this year is to Dubai, etc., so it sounds like all involved are doing well and have a stake in maintaining the quality that’s made the show a hit, if a minor one. 

• Love 2

Season 4 premiere has been pushed off by 2 weeks. I’m thinking they felt the lack of whatever  it was that episode 4.01 lacked. I’m hoping they are changing / improving. The MCM are the only reality I watch any more, because they alone seemed genuinely... well, Real. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Well, something sure was missing. They need to get Lance back. He's such a Mainer, as well as being naturally funny (as opposed to Ryan who's his own best fan). 

Eh, I like Ryan. His corny laugh, I’ve adopted a version of it as my own. Hadn’t realized how much I’d needed it, or would use it!

Lance got on my nerves a bit, but with hindsight, I do see where he livened things up. His response to Chase’s gift of emus (a gift of ponies) was classic and well done. As was Chase with the birds. Yeah, maybe it wouldn’t be s bad thing to get him back every 3rd episode or so in S5, hoping that I’ll still want an S5 after S4.

Just PLEASE don’t anybody turn into northern versions of Chip & Jo, not Erin & Ben. Puh-leeze!!!

• Love 3
On 1/2/2020 at 7:10 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Well, something sure was missing. They need to get Lance back. He's such a Mainer, as well as being naturally funny (as opposed to Ryan who's his own best fan). 

Halfway thru the lobster legacy and I’m saying they’re  back on track!!!  Something was just off about that caboose episode. 

I like Ryan’s humor.  He seems to me like the kind Of guy who’d crack wise to lighten a situation.  

I finally got to see some of season 4. But it came after several earlier season shows (including dear old Lance). I think I've put my finger on the change. I know it's early in the "year" as S4 begins, but a lot of the commradery is missing. It seems to be all business. No making chowdah (by Dixie). No taking a break on the shore of the lake to grill & eat hot dogs. It will be interesting to see if these heartwarming scenes appear later in the season.

• Love 1
On 2/9/2020 at 9:49 PM, annzeepark914 said:

I finally got to see some of season 4. But it came after several earlier season shows (including dear old Lance). I think I've put my finger on the change. I know it's early in the "year" as S4 begins, but a lot of the commradery is missing. It seems to be all business. No making chowdah (by Dixie). No taking a break on the shore of the lake to grill & eat hot dogs. It will be interesting to see if these heartwarming scenes appear later in the season.

I felt like there were several of those, but maybe they were outtakes I saw elsewhere. 

Somebody likened Ryan’s behavior to Chip G and I’ve watched carefully since then. I see the similarities, but I don’t think the starting points are the same.

Chip just has to be the funniest, most remarkable guy in the room.  My major memory of him is rubbing his groin on his wife’s sides and backside,  his hands clasped behind his head and a stupid grin on his face.

Ryan is one of those guys who wisecrack just because, but it’s hardly ever at anybody’s Expense, far as I can recall. He’s got an opinion on most situations but Chase does value him as his “voice of reason” so I doubt those inputs are a problem. 

And I’ll be honest - I don’t miss Lance even a little bit. Probably I’ve just got enough conflict IRL and don’t enjoy watching somebody pushing the boundaries and annoying the guys who are just handling everything Chase throws at ‘em. 

Differences make the world go ‘round, so—!

• Love 3
On 1/3/2020 at 11:58 PM, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

Ugh ... watched the new-season teaser reel on FB and it appears lthere’s more of Chase’s son.  I’m sure he’s a great child. That said:  Not sure why, but I really don’t want to see Cabin Master Kids. 

FWIW

I googled Chase to find out how many kids he has--I've seen his daughters before but then this boy shows up, yet he's not listed on google as Chase's son. Is he a son by a previous wife and the current wife doesn't want him mentioned as part of the family? I thought it was strange that he's not acknowledged anywhere publicly.

1 hour ago, kimaken said:

I googled Chase to find out how many kids he has--I've seen his daughters before but then this boy shows up, yet he's not listed on google as Chase's son. Is he a son by a previous wife and the current wife doesn't want him mentioned as part of the family? I thought it was strange that he's not acknowledged anywhere publicly.

I saw a promo where a child w/ long blonde hair is trying to carry something big, trips and falls onto the item...maybe it was a wagon wheel? & I immediately thought, this is why little kids don't belong in the workshop. The producers keep messing around with this show. I recently watched several shows from seasons 1 & 2 and noticed Ryan wasn't always running his mouth with inane comments & constantly snickering. He spoke only when he had smart, intelligent things to say. One other thing from S1...Ashley really getting ticked off big time, grousing, sulking, then leaving in a huff. You don't see anything like that in Seasons 3 & 4. IMO, this show was perfect right from the start & didn't need any stupid attempts at comedy (or the addition of kids).

• Love 1
1 hour ago, kimaken said:

I Googled, too, and found the same. The daughters are mentioned everywhere, but no mention of the son. And yet I can't see how he could be from a previous marriage, since he's clearly younger than the daughters. Also, Chase has apparently been married only once, to the wife he met in college. It's very odd.

9 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I Googled, too, and found the same. The daughters are mentioned everywhere, but no mention of the son. And yet I can't see how he could be from a previous marriage, since he's clearly younger than the daughters. Also, Chase has apparently been married only once, to the wife he met in college. It's very odd.

I am also confused about how many kids Chase has.  When you look up info about the family, there are not a lot of facts.  I guess they chose to keep a lot of things private.  Not that it is really any of our business (right?) but since they do show the kids on the show it is something that I have wondered about.  I believe the caption on a recent show said 'Chase's son Fletcher' - hope I got the name correct. 

It seems like he always talked about daughters.  All of the kids have blonde/reddish hair including Fletcher - who has very long blonde hair.  I also wondered if he was a adopted or a child from another marriage.  When Ashley did the family tree picture on one episode I remember her saying Chase had four children.  So I guess he has 3 girls and 1 boy?  

I do love this show.  The gang in general seems to really get along and care for one another. Chase seems to have a cool head about him as he usually calmly deals with problems or unforseen events.  The one thing I always am confused about is how they can work on a house, put on a new roof, new windows, reframe the place, add a dock and furnish the camp for $20,000 to $25,000.  We had two bathrooms redone and it cost the same amount as they spend for 6 weeks work.  Are things in Maine that much cheaper than the rest of the country?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, outtahere said:

I wondered about that too.  I think maybe the price they quote is for supplies/materials and their labor is paid by the network so a reduced price for the homeowners. 

Plus, as they've acknowledged, they get a lot of stuff donated in exchange for the free TV exposure. The makers of those nice Adirondack chairs said they were inundated with orders.

• Love 2
On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 11:04 AM, annzeepark914 said:

I saw a promo where a child w/ long blonde hair is trying to carry something big, trips and falls onto the item...maybe it was a wagon wheel? & I immediately thought, this is why little kids don't belong in the workshop. The producers keep messing around with this show. I recently watched several shows from seasons 1 & 2 and noticed Ryan wasn't always running his mouth with inane comments & constantly snickering. He spoke only when he had smart, intelligent things to say. One other thing from S1...Ashley really getting ticked off big time, grousing, sulking, then leaving in a huff. You don't see anything like that in Seasons 3 & 4. IMO, this show was perfect right from the start & didn't need any stupid attempts at comedy (or the addition of kids).

Chase grew up in his dad's workshop so I'm sure he is carrying on the family tradition with his own children.  Where else are they supposed to learn the family business?  This show is about relationships and family (besides being a really cool show about a beautiful state and some amazing cabins) so I don't think they are going to stop showing family members anytime soon. 

Dixie and Jedi are my favorites.  I love how the entire team has been friends since high school and are always teasing one another.  

During the pandemic DirectTV has been allowing free DIY network - I'm binge-watching MCM while I can because I'm sure it will be going away soon.

• Love 3

I guess I'm a grouch but I really lose interest when the kids are on.  Tonight all 4 of them! Are we to be visited by every Morrill in the county?, to borrow from Jane Austen. 

Again with the grouchiness: Ashley is getting on my nerves with her snarky attitude toward Ryan. Am I alone? 

All that said, I positively adore watching the guys work and problem-solve and Ashley's crafts and design process are enjoyable.  

For all my pique, I am Hoping against hope HGTV or someone picks up this show when the Gaines galumph off with the "Magnolia" rebrand of DIY.  

• Love 2

Having children on the show seems to be part of the formula in home improvement shows, doesn't it?  It doesn't bother me but to each their own!

Ashley and Ryan seem to enjoy bickering.  She seems to be very talented but then again so is Chase - together they make a great team.

Still a Dixie and Jedi fan!  Honestly I didn't care that much for Lance but rewatched his wedding episode this weekend and how much he loves his Lilly made me like him better.

• Love 2

@RoxiP, thank you! I had not known the kids were becoming standard issue. MCM  is the only rebuilding show I watch anymore.   I can always just head for the kitchen for a cold beverage when I see them come on. And if you've had the chance to watch or listen to the woodshop 101 podcast with Chase and Ryan, Maggie Morrill really does a nice job moderating.

I totally agree with you about Lance, I think. It was fun for a couple seasons, glad to see him go, and I have erased protected the wedding cabin episode. I can't imagine what his and Lillys children look like! Adorable tall, lean little bird people! 

I noticed on Bargain Mansions that all of the sudden she is having her husband and children on every episode.  Of course Chip and Joanne's show was always centered around segments with their children, and Ben and Erin have Helen on quite a few of their episodes, but part of the dynamic in this home improvement shows is for us, the viewer, to fall in love with the personality of the people as much as we love what they do on their home improvements.  For some people (you perhaps?) that is off-putting, but for most people I think they find it comforting "these people are just like us only they can build a house"!  I suspect millions of dollars were spent in studies by marketing people to establish this point -  we are all being duped by a marketing person somewhere IMO!  I obviously went into the wrong profession.

• LOL 1
On 5/27/2020 at 10:25 AM, RoxiP said:

I noticed on Bargain Mansions that all of the sudden she is having her husband and children on every episode.  Of course Chip and Joanne's show was always centered around segments with their children, and Ben and Erin have Helen on quite a few of their episodes, but part of the dynamic in this home improvement shows is for us, the viewer, to fall in love with the personality of the people as much as we love what they do on their home improvements.  For some people (you perhaps?) that is off-putting, but for most people I think they find it comforting "these people are just like us only they can build a house"!  I suspect millions of dollars were spent in studies by marketing people to establish this point -  we are all being duped by a marketing person somewhere IMO!  I obviously went into the wrong profession.

Makes as much sense as anything!

I'm so sad that HGTV didn’t pick them up. Wondering about the future of Barnwood Builders, who again aren’t very sleek but I enjoy watching them way more than all the rest  - well, except MCM of course!!! 

Does anyone know if the MCM are now working on renovations to "camps"? How the pandemic is affecting them? This past Sunday there was an interesting article in the Washington Post re: how covid-19 is affecting Bar Harbor thanks to the lack of tourism/vacationers. What was amazing was the healthy attitude of innkeepers, shop owners, restaurant owners, etc., to the state's guidelines. I'd love to be in ME right now. It's gotta be cooler than here!

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 7:13 PM, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

Makes as much sense as anything!

I'm so sad that HGTV didn’t pick them up. Wondering about the future of Barnwood Builders, who again aren’t very sleek but I enjoy watching them way more than all the rest  - well, except MCM of course!!! 

Does this mean they won't be doing any more shows?  That's sad if true because I love this show.  I would actually do a write in if somebody had a campaign.  For one thing I admire how they are able to do so much on a relatively small budget - heck, they redo an entire cabin at times for less than other design shows spend on a single kitchen!  Having done some minor remodeling around my house that seems more reasonable to me - now way am I spending $25,000 to redo my kitchen!

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, justdoit10 said:

I just starting watching this during the quarantine.  I like it.  Better than alot of the other renovating shows.

It's amazing what they can do with a relatively little amount of cash (compared to other shows).

• Love 4
On 7/13/2020 at 9:03 AM, RoxiP said:

Does this mean they won't be doing any more shows?  That's sad if true because I love this show.  I would actually do a write in if somebody had a campaign.  For one thing I admire how they are able to do so much on a relatively small budget - heck, they redo an entire cabin at times for less than other design shows spend on a single kitchen!  Having done some minor remodeling around my house that seems more reasonable to me - now way am I spending $25,000 to redo my kitchen!

The last thing I want to see is a Joanne and Chip controlled channel as I find them annoying at this point.   I just started watching this show.  Is it going away for sure?  

I haven't heard anything about this being cancelled. DIY also stopped airing the promos with the Gainses talking about the Magnolia Network. I know it was supposed to happen this summer but was delayed because of the pandemic. Last I heard was supposed to be September, but now it's crickets.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, justdoit10 said:

The last thing I want to see is a Joanne and Chip controlled channel as I find them annoying at this point.   I just started watching this show.  Is it going away for sure?  

MCM is currently filming new episodes. I posted a question on their Facebook page & learned that DIY ordered new episodes and that next year MCM will be on HGTV. Ryan verified that this was true. 

• Love 6

I just started watching this because we bought a cottage on a lake that was a bit of a fixer upper, so we were looking for ideas.

Why do they call the houses "camps"? Is it a regional thing? I mean, it's a cabin or a cottage or summer house or lake house, but a camp is more of a place than a thing.

A camp is more of a group thing, like a girl guide camp or summer camp. Or a campground. If someone said they bought a camp, I'd assume they acquired a property with a main hall and several small cabins. The show isn't called Maine Camp Masters, so why not just call them cabins? Seems weird to me.

• Love 2

The first time I ever heard a summer house referred to as a camp was by upstate New Yorkers. We called ours a summer place (on a lake in CT). It must be a regional thing. There's one episode where a couple bought a place and the husband was dumbfounded that his wife kept calling it a camp. I got a kick out of that. It's a great show. 

On 9/9/2020 at 10:36 PM, Shermie said:

I just started watching this because we bought a cottage on a lake that was a bit of a fixer upper, so we were looking for ideas.

Why do they call the houses "camps"? Is it a regional thing? I mean, it's a cabin or a cottage or summer house or lake house, but a camp is more of a place than a thing.

A camp is more of a group thing, like a girl guide camp or summer camp. Or a campground. If someone said they bought a camp, I'd assume they acquired a property with a main hall and several small cabins. The show isn't called Maine Camp Masters, so why not just call them cabins? Seems weird to me.

Here in Louisiana we call them camps as well.  Either hunting or fishing camps.

On 9/10/2020 at 9:31 AM, chessiegal said:

It's a regional thing. 

Yup! I’m told a Mainer says they’re “going up to camp” when they are heading for their cabin / cottage / camp / getaway. 

There’s talk of new shows so I guess it’s not cancelled yet!  I’m so eager to visit Maine and enjoy an evening at their little outdoor  entertainment venue.

Well, maybe next year [/Stephen Sondheim]

1 hour ago, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

Yup! I’m told a Mainer says they’re “going up to camp” when they are heading for their cabin / cottage / camp / getaway. 

There’s talk of new shows so I guess it’s not cancelled yet!  I’m so eager to visit Maine and enjoy an evening at their little outdoor  entertainment venue.

Well, maybe next year [/Stephen Sondheim]

I'm still disappointed we didn't get to have a family meet-up in Bar Harbor back in June. Fingers crossed that next summer we can do this. And maybe a side trip to the store & music/food area (every time they mention those oysters I go crazy--love oysters!)  I don't see this show getting cancelled. 

• Love 1

So if you call a cabin or cottage a camp, what do you call the place kids go in the summer where they stay for weeks and do crafts and sports? And what do you call it when you set up a tent and sleep and cook there?