Type keyword(s) to search

Flip or Flop Las Vegas - General Discussion

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Also, I call BS on the quick sale.  Aside from the fact the place is still listed months later, if they were able to sell so quickly, why did they accept a price so far below asking?  Parading a bunch of realtors through to praise the incredible design and congratulate them on their fabulous renos has gotten old, too.

It was originally listed for $189k, the price was lowered two weeks later to $185K, then down to $182K three weeks later. So technically, they accepted a CONTINGENT offer for $3k less than asking.  

8 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Also, based on the price of the unit, it's pretty clear that that part of LV Blvd is not such a fabulously desirable exclusive location.  I would imagine many locals would have no desire to live near the strip with the tourists and noise and inconvenience.  Probably much of the housing there is for tourist Air BnB usage.

If the deal goes through, I'll check on it in a couple months to see if it is on Air BnB.  And you're correct about locals - 99% of the time, locals only go to the strip because out of town friends/family are visiting.  The Strip doesn't cater to the locals so unless you work at one of the Strip properties, there really isn't a reason to hang out there.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, juliet73 said:

It was originally listed for $189k, the price was lowered two weeks later to $185K, then down to $182K three weeks later. So technically, they accepted a CONTINGENT offer for $3k less than asking.  

If the deal goes through, I'll check on it in a couple months to see if it is on Air BnB.  And you're correct about locals - 99% of the time, locals only go to the strip because out of town friends/family are visiting.  The Strip doesn't cater to the locals so unless you work at one of the Strip properties, there really isn't a reason to hang out there.

Depending on the state, you won't see the actual sale price until the sale is closed. Here, at least, the price on the on-line listing stays at whatever it was when the listing was removed from market and the actual sale price isn't updated until the sale is registered with the county. It's likely marked "contingent" instead of sold because the seller would be willing to take back up offers if the contingent sale falls through. Usually contingencies are for things like selling another property first.

Watching this show reminds me how much I loved shows with Sarah Richardson (and Tommy!) and ones with Mike Holmes (and Damon!). Hell, I'll even take Candace Olsen's fake drama and overwrought delivery over these goobers. Aside from Chip and Joanna, small doses of the Property brothers, Egypt, and the Good Bones ladies, HGVT has fallen off a cliff in quality.

• Love 2

She outdid herself, which I didn't think was possible.  The purple/patterned condo was an assault to the eyes.  Something definitely doesn't smell right.  Why would they take a offer $10K under asking, with it only being on the market 5 days.  Someone needs to give this woman a reality check about her design abilities.  And the husband just goes along with her every suggestion, even though he even states that no one would want a purple home with a black toilet.  

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, pwdrpuff said:

he even states that no one would want a purple home with a black toilet.  

Yes, I forgot the black toilet! Have any of you tried cleaning a black toilet? They are bears to clean depending on the type of water you have. I had a friend with one when I lived in Florida and there was always a whitish ring in it and splotchy white areas from the water. Can you imagine living in a Barney house with a whitish splotched toilet and furry pillow and rugs? Bleck! It is almost scary!  No, it is actually scary. I really wonder how many have gone through that condo and walked out laughing? One last thing...a purple sink? Gasp!

(edited)

Okay, so they're showing nonstop promos with Ms. Flip trilling "Vegas is the most difficult real estate markit en the countree" over and over and over.

Prove it. Source? Seriously? Statements like that make me stabby.

Edited by Oldernowiser
(edited)
1 hour ago, Oldernowiser said:

Okay, so they're showing nonstop promos with Ms. Flip trilling "Vegas is the most difficult real estate markit en the countree" over and over and over.

Prove it. Source? Seriously? Statements like that make me stabby.

And the way she says it in her robot voice makes me want to stab my ears out. You'd think HGTV would get their "talent" some voice/camera lessons before setting them loose on an unsuspecting world.

Edited by MaKaM
typo
  • Love 1
(edited)

I'm assuming she means Las Vegas is the most difficult real estate market when you're trying to sell homes with hideous custom wood walls, oversized kitchen islands that don't allow for a dining area, ugly teal cabinets, a laundry area as part of the living room, everything in the house is purple, etc.  

Here is part of an article from May 2017 about LV real estate: "In the last couple of years, the Las Vegas real estate industry has been experiencing an unprecedented rise in home prices. That trend is continuing this year.

In April of this year, the median price of a single-family house in Southern Nevada was $249,000.

According to a report by the Greater Las Vegas Association of Realtors, this was a 2.9 percent higher compared to the median price of March. From April of last year to April of this year, the price of a single-family house in Las Vegas went up by 12.9 percent.

From the foregoing, it is apparent that the rising home prices can be attributed to a multiplicity of factors. Inadequate supply means more aggressive competition among willing buyers leading to higher prices. High levels of home demand give buyers a stronger bargaining power than sellers. To this end, it can be concluded that the skyrocketing prices of homes in Las Vegas are a result high demand and an acute shortage.

The limited inventories, high demand, and skyrocketing prices have had several impacts on the players in the Las Vegas Real Estate Market. High demand and high prices are good for the sellers. Sellers have a stronger bargaining power and they are easily fetching higher prices and making higher profits from house sales. However, the rising prices are also having a negative impact on supply. Buyers who wish to sell their old homes and acquire new ones are now more reluctant to sell and that is leading to lower inventories. For real estate agents and listing services providers, decreasing supply mean shrinking trading opportunities and therefore, low supply is bad for their businesses.

In a nutshell, these are good times for home sellers because they can make more money from higher prices. However, real estate agents are experiencing a dry spell due to inadequate supply and the slowing level of business in the Las Vegas’ real estate industry. As it stands, things are even toughest for buyers because getting a home to purchase has become more difficult, and even after getting one, a buyer has to compete with other potential buyers and pay a higher price to beat competitors.

In conclusion, it is apparent that although there is a housing shortage in most metro areas throughout the United States, the problem is dire in Southern Nevada particularly in the Las Vegas metro area owing to the growing population, stable economic growth, and lower mortgage rates among other factors leading to excess demand. The rising demand and the shrinking supply keeps pumping the prices higher, and in the last 12 months, the prices have gone up by more than 12 percent."

So it's basically a seller's market, unless you're a seller that's trying to unload a crappy condo with a purple sink. 

Edited by juliet73
  • Love 1

Audrey is assaulting my eyes with her mismatched colors. The Barney house has both blue-purple and red-purple. Teal house's cabinets are more blue than the teal backsplash tiles. Purple is my favorite color but I would never commit such a sin against a house. I liked the teal house better. She needs to take some art classes about coordinating colors, undertones and hues.

Did they not sand/prime those cabinets? You could see the wood grain right through the teal paint.

• Love 2

Some posts have been hidden because they violate the site's "Be Civil" rule. A link to this rule is below if you need to refer to it. One of the rules here is that posters treat each other with a basic level of respect. Further infractions will result in warnings being issued.

Wow, I thought someone had given Aubrey some decorating lessons since last week, but she managed to add a bedroom that looked like a brothel! If she had stayed in the gray and blue colorway, that house would have been amazing but no, she had to add blush...and I do not think that was blush. It was almost hot pink. Add the bedspread and the faux fur and it was, IMHO awful! I loved the male real estate man's reaction when the female said it had feminine with masculine touches...I didn't see masculine anywhere in sight! I guess it was to good to be true that she had developed good taste for the whole house!

• Love 2
(edited)

"Blush," my ass.

Were those kitchen cabinets lavender or grey? Liked the blue backsplash but it made them look purple.

I always struggle with geographic appropriation...super beachy (i.e. "Life is better at the beach" plaque) in the middle of the desert is just...faux. But hey, Vegas.

All in all, not hideous this time except for the Hooker Barbie pink boudoir.

But their flip budgets are bullshit. This was supposedly, what $23k?

NFW.

P.S. Please, HGTV, I'm begging you. Send that woman to a voice coach. Oh,the humanity...

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 3

Really Aubrey? A pink barn door?!?! Are you freaking kidding me?!!!

As I alluded to in an earlier post, it's a toss up between you & Hildy for worst decorator ever!

• Love 1

I actually really liked the black and white "glam cottage." They also actually end up saving money budget wise in this episode too. They saved money by coming in under budget so they made more in the end. That never happens on original version.

I did not like the black trim on that house. But I agree it's refreshing to see them come in under budget (assuming they're telling the truth). Tarek and Christina tend to go over budget by double their estimate on a regular basis. The money spent on this show seems more reasonable.

Of course she way over decorated/accessorized and crammed too much stuff in all the rooms.

That seems to be her main problem. Say what you will about Christina's boring grey and white designs, but at least she knows how to show a house so you see the house and not the furniture and accessories. Every house on this show is way over-decorated. It's just so busy you don't know where to look!

And OMG - I thought the pink barn door was bad enough but when it turned out she painted the whole ceiling pink I about died. Who would want that??? And at the end they said some "young guy" bought the house (despite claiming over and over a retired couple with an RV would be the most likely buyers) - I'm sure the first thing that young guy did was paint over that hideous pink.

I don't get this obsession with putting barn doors over the bathroom entryway either. 

You know . . . I don't dislike either Bristol or Aubrey, but they really don't have a whole lot of personality, do they? I mean, it's nice they don't argue and bicker endlessly and that Bristol isn't a child-like goofball like Chip Gaines, but at the same time, I don't get much of a sense of what they're like. They're just kind of there.

(edited)

What.The.F?!  Does Aubrey know she's flipping and staging homes to sell??  Every house she touches has a theme - Vegas glam, beachy cottage, ugly whorehouse, etc.  When Bristol was questioning some of her design choices (fireplace, pink door, etc), she mentioned that SHE liked them, not what a buyer would like.  I think this is one (of many) of her big mistakes with all the homes - she designs them as if she was going to live in each one.  

I'll start with the positives:  the front of the house looked sooo much better!  The backyard and pool looked great!  I think they could have done without all the tiny bushes around the pool ; they should have put those in the back wall planter instead.  Converting the bonus room back to a garage was a smart move.  The fireplace looked nice, but I think they should have stained the mantel - it looked very blah against the stone.  The tile flooring in the main area was lovely.  The master bathroom was nice, unfortunately, all the "beach" wall art distracted from seeing it! They should have just stuck with all glass tile in the shower - the marble inlay clashed with everything else in the bathroom.

Now the negatives:  It didn't look like a beachy cottage at all. Just because you paint all the doors blue, doesn't make beachy!   As usual, there are way too many pieces of oversized furniture and way too many accessories!!  All the light fixtures were beyond ugly!  The kitchen cabinets looked gray, but with purple (UGH!!) undertones!  The glass subway tile was nice, but it didn't match the cabinets. At all.  White cabinetry would have looked so much better with the backsplash! And it would have looked more beachy, IMO.  It drives me crazy that they NEVER install a raised breakfast bar by the kitchen sink.  It would create more room when eating, plus you wouldn't see a sink full of dishes when you walked in the front door.  The dining area was too small to accommodate a 6 top.  She should have ditched that huge bench that was blocking half the window and just used the 4 chairs.  The master bedroom hurt my eyes!!!  I really wish they would have just kept the barn door blue.  It matched the other doors and it wasn't hideous!  The bubble gum pink on the door and the ceiling was AWFUL!!  JUST AWFUL!!!  The faux fur and the overabundance of chotchkes make every room in this house (and all the others) look very tacky!

I wonder why they didn't show the guest bathroom.  Aubrey said she was going to make it bold!  Actually the pics from the listing show a nice, normal looking bathroom (minus the shell tile inlay in the shower).  The secondary bedrooms look nice, but again, too much crap in each of them. Here is the listing:  https://www.redfin.com/NV/Henderson/2405-La-Estrella-St-89014/home/29652464

I looked up to see if the house really sold in 5 hours for $10k over asking.  It was listed on May 5 for $285k and on May 9, they received a contingent offer.  On May 21, it was relisted and a week later another contingent offer was received.  I'll look on the recorder's website at a later date to check the final sale price.  

Edited by juliet73
  • Love 3

I really liked the beach cottage minus the pink bedroom. It was cotton candy pink, not blush. It didn't go with the rest of the house at all.

Also those beds were far too high for the roof height.

On 6/10/2017 at 8:37 PM, sue450 said:

oh my gosh every time he yells "I love my life"  in the opening,,just annoys the  crap out out me!!! does anyone else feel like that???

Also the "I am all that is man" (or whatever the exact quote is) - while I realize that you may THINK you are, fortunately you are NOT.

I think this might be their next flip.  It's a townhouse/duplex.  Before https://kingrealtyinc.com/home-search/details/10182-Tree-Creek-Street-Las-Vegas-Nevada-89183/mls-1871972/  

I'm hope you're sitting down.... here's the After http://www.estately.com/listings/info/10182-tree-creek-street--1

BTW, the ugly purple condo sold for $175k (original listing was for $189K).  It was on the market for 3 months.   From looking at the other houses from the show, none of them sell in a few days like Aubrey says.  The house from the first episode sold the quickest and that took 40 days and for $5k under asking.   The longest one was episode 3 - that one took 88 days to sell.  That house was the one with the pool and foosball table right when you walked in the front door.  It was also the most expensive one; the original listing price was $525k and it sold for $480k.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, juliet73 said:

I think this might be their next flip.  It's a townhouse/duplex.  Before https://kingrealtyinc.com/home-search/details/10182-Tree-Creek-Street-Las-Vegas-Nevada-89183/mls-1871972/  

I'm hope you're sitting down.... here's the After http://www.estately.com/listings/info/10182-tree-creek-street--1

BTW, the ugly purple condo sold for $175k (original listing was for $189K).  It was on the market for 3 months.   From looking at the other houses from the show, none of them sell in a few days like Aubrey says.  The house from the first episode sold the quickest and that took 40 days and for $5k under asking.   The longest one was episode 3 - that one took 88 days to sell.  That house was the one with the pool and foosball table right when you walked in the front door.  It was also the most expensive one; the original listing price was $525k and it sold for $480k.  

It certainly looks like Aubrey's handiwork.  Cheesy details, faux fur, shiny sparkly.  That chandelier is an abomination.

• Love 1

JULIET 73 said: 

"I think this might be their next flip.  It's a townhouse/duplex.  Before https://kingrealtyinc.com/home-search/details/10182-Tree-Creek-Street-Las-Vegas-Nevada-89183/mls-1871972/  

I'm hope you're sitting down.... here's the After http://www.estately.com/listings/info/10182-tree-creek-street--1"

19 hours ago, doodlebug said:

It certainly looks like Aubrey's handiwork.  Cheesy details, faux fur, shiny sparkly.  That chandelier is an abomination.

Oh my god. That house on 10182 Tree Creek Street is atrocious.  I really don't want to believe this is their work.  It is way beyond their glitz and sparkle. Whomever did this one, didn't make much on it considering carrying costs, commissions, closing costs and of course the 'improvements'.  Wow.  I'm shocked anyone would buy it.  Lordy!  

Some agent in the LV real estate market can look this up and see who the buyers/sellers were of this property and confirm whether this is one of theirs.  Anyone?

1 hour ago, Casually Observant said:

JULIET 73 said: 

"I think this might be their next flip.  It's a townhouse/duplex.  Before https://kingrealtyinc.com/home-search/details/10182-Tree-Creek-Street-Las-Vegas-Nevada-89183/mls-1871972/  

I'm hope you're sitting down.... here's the After http://www.estately.com/listings/info/10182-tree-creek-street--1"

Oh my god. That house on 10182 Tree Creek Street is atrocious.  I really don't want to believe this is their work.  It is way beyond their glitz and sparkle. Whomever did this one, didn't make much on it considering carrying costs, commissions, closing costs and of course the 'improvements'.  Wow.  I'm shocked anyone would buy it.  Lordy!  

Some agent in the LV real estate market can look this up and see who the buyers/sellers were of this property and confirm whether this is one of theirs.  Anyone?

It's theirs!  The county shows Bristol Marunde as the previous owner - May 3, 2017 until July 14..  Also, the "before" and "after" were both listed as Aubrey's "sold" properties on her real estate website.

Edited by juliet73
  • Love 1

Wow, just saw the Gold Condo episode. Glitter in the tile grout. Hope they sealed it so you aren't tracking glitter around every time you walk across it. Still dislike them even after a few month's break. Her voice is still terrible, her taste is still terrible, and he is just kinda there. Now is the episode with the after linked above. Is black tile cheaper than white tile? I also don't think you can redo that many bathrooms, a kitchen, and all the flooring in a house (plus painting and ugly chandeliers and pendant lights) for $17,000 no matter how much bargain shopping you do.

• Love 5

The gold condo was simply HORRENDOUS. The husband said it screams rich. Nope! It screams tacky. She has no design skills whatsoever. This couple is the worst of the worst when it comes to flip and design shows. I’m assuming HGTV is burning off their episodes (back to back) to unload them and send this couple on their merry way. At least, that’s my hope.

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 5
10 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

The gold condo was simply HORRENDOUS. The husband said it screams rich. Nope! It screams tacky. She has no design skills whatsoever. This couple is the worst of the worst when it comes to flip and design shows. I’m assuming HGTV is burning off their episodes (back to back) to unload them and send this couple on their merry way. At least, that’s my hope.

Nope, they got renewed for even more episodes than the 100% more bearable Atlanta couple did.

Just now, MaKaM said:

Nope, they got renewed for even more episodes than the 100% more bearable Atlanta couple did.

OMG! They are so bad. Everything they do is so cheap & tacky looking. It’s not like she (they) doesn’t have the budget to flip these houses. She just doesn’t have any expertise in design. I think she should just stick to the real estate side of things. 

• Love 1

Aubrey, there's an ad in the paper for showgirls. You won't have to speak (the audience is grateful) and you can wear all the glitter & glitz your little heart desires. Check it out because you suck as a designer.

• Love 4

I guess in her mind and HGTV's she's considered edgy?! Are Las Vegas people really buying that gaudy stuff? Maybe, they are. I don't live there but when the cowboy showed up with tattoo's on his face and neck I knew I wasn't their demographic. LOL!!

• Love 1
9 hours ago, MsTree said:

Aubrey, there's an ad in the paper for showgirls. You won't have to speak (the audience is grateful) and you can wear all the glitter & glitz your little heart desires. Check it out because you suck as a designer.

I thought she has already been a showgirl.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I guess in her mind and HGTV's she's considered edgy?! Are Las Vegas people really buying that gaudy stuff? Maybe, they are. I don't live there but when the cowboy showed up with tattoo's on his face and neck I knew I wasn't their demographic. LOL!!

Nope, I lived there most of my life and have never seen anyone's house look like that! I'm pretty sure I liked the "before" better.  I wish we could hear everyone's comments that walked through the door!  That would make the show worth watching!!

If anyone in the Las Vegas area is interested in Aubrey & Bristol designing or building you a home (snark),  here is the link to their business:  http://www.alterluxury.com/  They have pictures of their work on the website.  

Edited by juliet73
added link
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, juliet73 said:

If anyone in the Las Vegas area is interested in Aubrey & Bristol designing or building you a home (snark),  here is the link to their business:  http://www.alterluxury.com/  They have pictures of their work on the website.  

I see the gold condo is still for sale for $134,000. Not sold for whatever they said on the show. 

They sure created two ugly houses last night.

• Love 1

Maybe they were trying to get a couple who would actually flop once in a while? It is pretty annoying that as dumb as Tarek and Christina seem (or act), they still make crazy bank on nearly every house they show. They make it look like any idiot with the initial capital can win at realestate just by putting in gray and white and laminate into squatter houses. The Las Vegas couple looks like they'll flop a lot but then they don't even show it when it apparently happens.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I thought she has already been a showgirl.

Well the, that explains it all. She really needs to reconsider designing...unless HGTV is paying her to be "different". Ugh!

• Love 1
On 10/21/2017 at 4:20 AM, MsTree said:

Well the, that explains it all. She really needs to reconsider designing...unless HGTV is paying her to be "different". Ugh!

It is weird that HGTV doesn’t see the tacky in her design. They could be looking for something different as you suggested. Usually, I get crazy when the flip & design shows use the same tiles & knock all the walls down just to knock them down. With Las Vegas Flip, I just think they are the ugliest (intentional) Flips I’ve seen. The wife has no design skills from what I can see. I think the worst was when they first started airing. She had the husband put a bunch of green doors on the walls?!?!? It was sooooooo UGLY. She said she wasnted a statement piece.  OMG!

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, ByaNose said:

It is weird that HGTV doesn’t the tacky in her design

I agree. Either they don't see the tackiness, or they have a skewed misconception of what suburban LV home design really is, or should be.  Probably the same people (producers) who think just because you live in LV, you live on the strip and sit at a slot machine 24/7 ... well, maybe a handful do (LOL).

Edited by MsTree
Quantify my statement :)
  • Love 1

I couldn't sleep last night and watched the gold condo and green townhouse episodes on demand. I've never been to LV, but I'd think that even for that market Aubrey's style is very niche. Something like the gold condo could work in a hotel or vacation rental, but who would want to come home to that every day? If I were a buyer and liked the location and layout of the condo, I'd be up for repainting the walls/ceilings, but not for replacing all the kitchen fixtures and bathroom floor.

The green townhouse - did one of the people at the open house describe it as "aggressive"? That was spot on, I felt like the whole place was an assault on my eyes.

• Love 1

I have decided that this whole show is a satire of flip/remodel shows.  There's no other explanation for it.

In all seriousness, though, somebody must buy their homes or they wouldn't have a business.  I just wonder if they would do better if they went a little more traditional.  I don't care how great the location or price was, there's no way I could ever buy the gold condo.  Too much to fix...basically you would have to redo almost everything.

• Love 2

I haven't seen a good design yet out the Las Vegas Flip couple. Everything is soooooooo tacky and gawdy. I guess there are some people who like her taste but it ain't me. I just think it's funny that she talks about that the Las Vegas buyer is edgy and want that Las Vegas feel. I can see people wanting that OTT at the hotels but I can't see people wanting to live in it day after day. That said, I've never been to Vegas. Isn't that werid? I'm 52 and I have never gone to Vegas. Maybe, I need to get out more. LOL!!!

• Love 2

I had high hopes in the beginning for this most recent episode.  Aubrey mentioned not doing a lot of "glam", etc.   She also said the kitchen was going to have white cabinets!  Wha? What?  I thought maybe she realized her designs were atrocious and was finally going to start decorating homes more pleasing to the eye.  I was wrong...As soon as Bristol put up the wood "feature wall" in the bedroom and everything started to come together in the main area, it all fell apart!  I didn't understand the "manly library" instead of a living room.  The wall of bookshelves was way too dark and the display of Bristol's MMA crap was just tacky!  The kitchen was horrible!  The granite was way too busy.  It looked like they ran out of upper cabinets so they installed floating shelves.  I didn't understand moving the dining room right by the front door instead of keeping it next to the kitchen - the tiny living room was where the dining room should be. Stupid layout! I really want to meet the people who buy these homes.

• Love 2

I just dropped by to see how it's possible for this couple to renovate on such low money.  I mean, really.  They seem to be doing entire kitchen and bath remodels for a few thousand.  Unreal.  Even if it's ugly, how do you do that?  I get that she's using sale items, but, still. I figured that since her husband is a contractor, they cut out that fee.  Is that right?  So that when Tarac and Christina figure their costs, they are including that of the General Contractor, but on the Flip or Flop Vegas, they don't.  

I cracked up when the door didn't arrive and they just popped up a shower curtain!  And it didn't match at all.  lol 

I've only recently scene a couple of episodes.  The only thing that really turned me off was that black exterior paint job.  Very off, imo.  I must have missed the gold episode, but, I generally think that has to be handled very carefully.  I'm still not fully recovered from the gold from yesteryear, so, it's not something that I'm all that fond of. 

On 10/20/2017 at 5:49 PM, crazy4tv said:

I see the gold condo is still for sale for $134,000. Not sold for whatever they said on the show. 

They sure created two ugly houses last night.

Oh god I just saw this show for the first time.  The gold condo was fucking hideous.  Those awful Liberace sinks in the bathroom and the glitter grout. 

I miss phlegmatic Christina and her buyer friendly gray color schemes.  

• Love 1