Type keyword(s) to search

S34.E06: Vote Early, Vote Often

• Start Topic

Related to previous: I'm not even sure who I'm rooting for beyond Andrea and Cirie at this point.  Hali, Michaela, and Aubry don't actively suck but I'm not rooting for them.  So far we've had good appealing Zeke and not raging asshole with power Zeke, but I don't trust that.  Everyone else is varying degrees of lame.  Hmph.

Stupid casting.

• Love 8
47 minutes ago, wallflower75 said:

“Exile Island” was a ship full of luxury items, even if Debbie was the beneficiary of it.  But then…Cochran turned up.  And Debbie was “awestruck” to meet him?  It was an “honor and privilege”??? 

At that point I wish I had put off doing the dishes until then. 

Didn't like either of them before tonight.  Now dislike them both exponentially more.

• Love 6
Spoiler
3 minutes ago, enlightenedbum said:

Related to previous: I'm not even sure who I'm rooting for beyond Andrea and Cirie at this point.  Hali, Michaela, and Aubry don't actively suck but I'm not rooting for them.  So far we've had good appealing Zeke and not raging asshole with power Zeke, but I don't trust that.  Everyone else is varying degrees of lame.  Hmph.

Stupid casting.

Hali, for me.  Young, smart female lawyer.  (I'm a female lawyer, not young.)  Criminal defense, so she is doing the work of the Universe above.  Most lawyers cast have been prosecutors.  I have nothing against them but the crim defense bar deserves love.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, susannot said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Hali, for me.  Young, smart female lawyer.  (I'm a female lawyer, not young.)  Criminal defense, so she is doing the work of the Universe above.  Most lawyers cast have been prosecutors.  I have nothing against them but the crim defense bar deserves love.

That makes her cool in life, but not a great Survivor character.  Though past history indicates a moron should give her a comical fake idol while she plants the seeds in Cirie's mind to boot Ozzy.  In two episodes or so.  Hopefully she can also be a highly entertaining juror.

• Love 1

OK, enlightenedbum Hali is my horse and I'm willing to ride her to the end. Bet!  If I win, meaning she wins, or your pick wins, we will each say publicly here that one of us is the most brilliant survivor prognosticator EVAH!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, LadyChatts said:

Don't they want to make anything on this show hard anymore?

I don't think this is a factor at all anymore. It's all about "The Evolution of Strategy" and all that nonsense. (When Zeke did that shout-out in his first season, I thought my eyes were going to roll out of my head and across the floor.)

I'm really sick of the novelties and the show trying to stay clever.

I miss the grit and determination, as opposed to cheap sneakiness. 

• Love 12
9 minutes ago, susannot said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I am right there with you. She is is probably my favorite in the game right now and admittedly a lot of it has to with I just like her person, atleast from what I know about her.  I think she is the second criminal defense attorney they have cast on the show the other being Eliza Orlins.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, LanceM said:

I am right there with you. She is is probably my favorite in the game right now and admittedly a lot of it has to with I just like her person, atleast from what I know about her.  I think she is the second criminal defense attorney they have cast on the show the other being Eliza Orlins.

And the fact that Eliza hates her makes me like Hali more than I thought I ever could.  She seems really cool, but I don't think she takes crap from anyone, and doesn't come across as fake.  She's my #1 right now, and I hope things turn around for her in this game.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, MissBluxom said:

I hope they paid Cochoran a lot of money. How much money would it take for you to spend that time alone with Debbie?

She seemed pretty thrilled to spend time with him.  My teenager said, "Well, now we know her type." 

• Love 10

I think they were all acting for Sandra's benefit at tc, even Tai, but he thought the other name being thrown out was Ozzie.  After the vote, he had to know they had thrown his name out to Sandra and Varner.  I wonder how that might affect him. He is quite paranoid, (aren't they all?).

• Love 4
(edited)

Man. I've been wanting Sandra to go because it was just so obvious she needed to yet no one would pull trigger. But, dang, if I wasn't a little sad when it actually happened. She was a real character (her look directly into the camera last week killed me) and played a very good game. 

I definitely got a little scared for Ozzy. That would have been a real disappointment if Malcolm, JT, and Ozzy all went out in a row. I know JT kinda sucks now. My heart still hurts about Malcolm. 

Tai needs to go. I don't necessarily think he is unintelligent (see: finding two idols in two different camps) but he is such a loose cannon. I loathed him his first season and he's done nothing to change my mind. He would have been the first one I wanted out if I were on this season. He changes his mind on a whim and blows up others gameplay right in front of them. 

Glad to see Aubry finally got some camera time. Let's hope it's the beginning of her running this game because girl was robbed her season. I have no idea who is getting the winner's edit so kudos to the editors for finally keeping us guessing (but I'd have to say Hali if I HAD to pick someone right now). 

And I liked seeing Cochran. Definitely unexpected. I thought it would be Richard Hatch. Cochran made some pretty good self-deprecating remarks about this episode on Twitter tonight. I can appreciate that! 

Edited by UGAmp
  • Love 9
32 minutes ago, RescueMom said:

I think the plus to having Cochran there was not so much that he could give her advice on how to win, but just to have someone to talk to about the game without paranoia

But I don't think a loved one ever told a contestant "If I was watching you from my couch, I would..." and started talking about "Culpepper's gonna do this, so you need to think about doing this." Maybe the intention was just a friendly ear, but Cochran sure acted like he was giving advice about the game and Debbie said in the confessional how much she admired Cochran's expertise in the game, so...I think it was intended as a Survivor 101 Tutorial.

I mean, if they had conditions that the contestant could vent, and the returning player would just listen and nod and offer some sympathetic remarks, that's one thing. But the minute the returning player injects himself (or herself) into the game, it's advice -- and it's given the sheen of respectability because it comes from a winner -- and that rubbed me the wrong way.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Straycat80 said:

They should have had Sandra give Debbie advice, she's the one who won twice, Cochran only won once. And why try to give Debbie advice? Doesn't she know everything already? She's met presidents, ambassadors and has had multiple careers. smh.

Zeke had a point about Tai. He's all over the place, flip flops, you can't trust him. I'm surprised he didn't play one of the idols. The Queen is gone, at least everyone agreed she was the most dangerous player. 

Sandra was still in the game, so she couldn't give the advice.  I think Cocorane was a perfect choice.  He is a great strategic player and probably knows more Survivor history than anyone.  That said, his coaching will not be enough to help Debbie.

• Love 19

I can't stand Zeke.  "I can't trust you if I don't know who you trust"   Really, Zeke?  Says the guy that gleefully voted of his best ally in his last season.

Did Varner ever say he was gay on the show before?

• Love 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, dkb said:

Oh my god, Debbie and her pony. I'm visualizing this.

And here I was trying to NOT visualize exactly that... *calls for bleach to pour on his brain*

1 hour ago, ElleryAnne said:

Tai is baffling.  Smart about finding idols (and credit to him for hiding the indicators of the second one at the well), but he's an idiot at TC.

Tai is fine if he is acting on something, get him to talk and he's like a little child with ADHD. "Wait... what was I saying?"

I personally can't get over how LAME it was that there were 'watering boards' at EACH camp and the second remained after a merge. WTF? Way to just assure someone gets two idols. I was praying things had actually turned on him so he could join the 'I Got Voted Out With Two Idols' club. I would have dealt with another week of this 'THE QUEEN!!' bs if that was the reason why. He is actively painful for me to watch when he is trying to think of what to say and what comes out is usually the worst thing for the situation.

1 hour ago, Eolivet said:

I found "Exile" utterly ludicrous, but suitable in a season where They Just Keep Feeding Them.

This will go down as the first year people gain weight on Survivor. Instead of people being skinny at the end people will have packed on a 'Freshman 15'.

18 minutes ago, Maya said:

For a minute there, I thought Cochran was actually going to join the game somehow. 

I was actually most surprised about that not happening. They were just baiting us though as they sent him aboard with one of those bags with the wheel logo on them like he was going to return to the game. I thought he was going to conclude with "And I'll be there with every step of the way... literally..." and then he'd pull on a buff and announce his entrance to the game.

I've seen a couple of opinions on which of the three choices they would make but I feel like Debbie made the worst possible for her game. She burns allies right and left with blow-ups. If she goes back and they vote her out unanimously having one extra vote won't save the man/woman on a raft. If you could act it out properly a fake idol could be a tool, but again it's a fake so it only has the power you can 'act it up' with. However as a person everyone knows has a "difficult" personality you can come back to tribe and say (without saying it) 'I got to pick but I figured this tribe-based advantage will show that I AM a team player and I wanted my Tribe to benefit from my choice. Exactly what she needs, a chance to not see her as a ghoul but a real person. So of course she takes the extra vote... (I also loved how she took about half a second to consider which she would take and didn't even think to maybe talk through her options with her new spirit animal Cochrane)

Edited by Wandering Snark
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, vb68 said:

Exactly. They wanted it to a blindside, and it wasn't at all. She knew the score and played as best as possible. It was just the roll of the dice.

I disagree, I think she was blindsided.  She knew she was on the block, but she also thought that she "worked magic" at TC and that Tai would be going home.  Her comments when voting made it obvious that she thought Tai was gone ("Tai you're a fool, the queen stays queen").   And then the priceless moment when Tai got two votes.  She was smirking.  Then when Jeff read her name her face fell so fast it was glorious.  Reminded me of the Edgardo blindside.

I was never a fan of hers.  Yes, she can manipulate people, and I can't believe she got so far this time.  She's absolutely useless in challenges. And yet she manages to svengali everyone a lot.  Well, the queen is dead.  

Hopefully Jeff Varner is next.  Jeff, the reason why you've never made the jury in two tries is because you suck at the game.  Useless in challenges (even 17 years ago when he wasn't fat and out of shape) and doesn't think for himself.

I have no idea what Tai was doing, was he just playing Sandra and pretending he was voting Ozzy?  Because that could have really backfired on him, I think Sarah and Andrea looked like they were going to vote him out.  Tai voted for Sandra which makes it look like he was playing her.  But I really don't think he's that smart.  His game is awful.

Debbie and Cochran.  Ugh.  Two of my least favourite contestants ever, and the show wasted ten minutes on them.

I don't know why, but this is the first time I noticed those really ugly ass colourful tattoos on the left side of Brad Culpepper's torso.  The circular one.  Truly ugly.  I wonder what it's supposed to mean.  But I give him some credit, I think he's in his early 50s or late 40s and he looked really fit, like he was early 30s.  I don't remember him looking so fit before, I always thought he was a bit pudgy and dad bod.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Vyk said:

I'm not "everyone else."  I can't stand the guy.  I seem to be the only one to remember his douche-y smile when he threw the challenge to get rid of Billy in Cook Islands, his general assy, bitter attitude when he lost Micronesia, and his worsening douchiness throughout South Pacific.

I can't stand his ass either. He always acts like he's owed something and just because he can catch fish that means he should be untouchable to the tribe and not even be considered being voted out. I remember how he left Micronesia, looking at them like they better sleep with one eye open as he exited. Jackass.

• Love 11
(edited)
1 hour ago, ptuscadero said:

I'm not a huge fan, either - I respect his skills, and he plays hard, but he always seemed to act like the game owed him something in his past seasons. He doesn't appear to have much of a personality. I'd much rather have Malcolm back. 

With the way he looks and moves the last thing Ozzy needs is a personality.  He needs me

I love how people all know how Ozzy feels inside when all he does is stand around and dive beautifully in the water.  The entire essence of Ozzy is hiding everything he's feeling, or possibly feeling nothing at all.

Zeke was 'acting' at tribal right?  Were Zeke and Tai putting on a play for Sandra?  Zeke is so funny.  He builds up a lot of goodwill with me I'm just scared he's going to tear it all down again.  

I never thought I was a fan of Sandra but it was kind of disappointing she didn't win again.  I thought she was going to, seriously.  I thought she was really deserving of it until this episode.  To be had by Tai is not a good look, then again most people in Koah Rong were as well.

Thank goodness Cochran didn't join the game; I don't think that would be fair.  But I'd be singing another tune if it was some castaway they got rid of this season like Malcolm or Tony.

When Tai proves he's smart enough to find two idols, the opinion becomes that the show is so stupid to let him.  Credit can't go to him.  It's too funny.

Does anyone else think that the Debbie stuff was super shady?  They just happened to pick the contestant having a mental breakdown to take away with butterfly nets and put her alone on an island with someone who seems very mentally sound, neutral, and calming? 

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 12

Smart thinking of Tai to look for the idol at the new camp. Yeah stuff it down the front of your underwear.

Yay, Cochrane.  Love him. So glad it wasn't Boston Rob.

Damn, that was a quick puzzle solve.

Dammit, Tai, play the damn idol. Why is he so confident?

Well, that was a shock.

So Debbie didn't even have a torch?  She hasn't been to TC yet?

• Love 1

So Debbie didn't even have a torch?  She hasn't been to TC yet?

If I am not mistaken I believe Debbie has been to TC. The reason she didn't have her torch was because she came straight to TC from Exile Island. 

I can't get over the fact that Cirie has never been to TC.  She isn't getting a lot of air time, so I can't help but wonder how far she goes in the game. 

• Love 4

If Tai was acting, why?  What was the point?  They had the votes.  They didn't need to trick Sandra. 

Tai really is awful at this game.  That does not mean he can't go far.  But I think it means he can't win. 

• Love 8

FWIW, Debbie was at TC twice; once when her tribe voted out Caleb and again during the combined TC where Malcolm was eliminated. 

She didn't have her torch tonight because she didn't walk from camp with her tribe. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I think Zeke has moved into a strong position in his tribe.  He has 4 people who make great targets to shield him and who will probably need his help:

1) Ozzie - the huge threat.

2) Tai - the flip flopping idol hawk.

3) Varner - The new kid in camp.

4) Debbie - The new, new kid in camp who also happens to be obnoxious and bat poop crazy.

Zeke is probably the best strategic player in his tribe, and should be able to make alliances using the other players' vulnerabilitie 

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 11
43 minutes ago, Maya said:

For a minute there, I thought Cochran was actually going to join the game somehow. 

And I felt like if it was anyone with half a brain (ie, not Debbie) they'd be wondering the same thing unless given specific reassurances that we didn't see.  If it were me, I don't think I'd feel like I could open up to Cochran about all of my issues in the game, figuring that he'd say, "Hey, thanks for the intel, now I'm joining the game, sucker."  

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Damn, that was a quick puzzle solve.

I think my girl, Cirie, always works the puzzle legs. She seems to have a knack for them while, me?  I'd still be standing there trying to solve it.  

It may be an unpopular opinion but I love Tai.  I was genuinely worried when he didn't play an idol.  I think he downplays how sharp he is.

In other news, Sarah is still useless.  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, wallflower75 said:

Mom quote of the night, after Nuku lost: “Well, Debbie will be happy she’s no longer on a tribe with Culpepper.”

Funny; I said pretty much the exact flip of that to my wife before they started the IC:

"Well, you know Brad is going to bust his ass to win this - if for no other reason than to be sure Debbie doesn't end up on his Tribe."

2 hours ago, Drogo said:

Live watch with Khaleesi (10)-- exciting.

@Drogo - just so you know - Khaleesi's commentary is one of the few reasons I'm still sticking with this season.  Her comments are generally more entertaining than the episode.  :)

• Love 4

I knew there was no possible way that Sandra could win this season...and yet with each passing week, noticing how well she kept avoiding danger at tribal council, I started to think "wait, really?!"  At least she ensured JT and Tony went out, so the Queen stays Queen in Survivor history.  It really does come to a lot of luck in this game, however.  If Sandra and, say, Aubry draw opposite buffs in the tribal swap, Sandra is very likely saved for another round.  Instead, she got drawn onto the noticeably weaker tribe (even with Ozzy and Andrea) on the week when they had a very physical challenge.

1 hour ago, Eolivet said:

But I don't think a loved one ever told a contestant "If I was watching you from my couch, I would..." and started talking about "Culpepper's gonna do this, so you need to think about doing this." Maybe the intention was just a friendly ear, but Cochran sure acted like he was giving advice about the game and Debbie said in the confessional how much she admired Cochran's expertise in the game, so...I think it was intended as a Survivor 101 Tutorial.

I mean, if they had conditions that the contestant could vent, and the returning player would just listen and nod and offer some sympathetic remarks, that's one thing. But the minute the returning player injects himself (or herself) into the game, it's advice -- and it's given the sheen of respectability because it comes from a winner -- and that rubbed me the wrong way.

I'd be more upset about this as an unfair advantage if it was anyone getting it besides Debbie.  Talk about someone who won't be able to absorb advice and criticism; Cochran himself commented that Debbie seems way too overconfident about her game.

I'm waiting for the day for these twists, advantages, and massive idols to finally just blow up in the producer's faces.  Maybe the biggest twist they could have is to have no twists, idols, advantages, etc.

Now I'm wishing that the "Game Changers" season would've been just a classic no-frills season like Borneo, and watching to see how long it took the players to figure it out.  Probst could even still ask about the immunity idol during TC to throw them off.

• Love 14
6 minutes ago, ShadowSixx said:

I think Sarah is trying not to put herself in a power position because she was voted out for that reason the last time she played. I think she doesn't want to put herself on the radar just yet.

Judging by her facial expressions, Sarah seems to have no clue what's going on. She constantly looks befuddled to me. But I agree, she's trying to play different this time. I just think she will overplay her hand first chance she gets. 

• Love 13
1 minute ago, double-elvis said:

Judging by her facial expressions, Sarah seems to have no clue what's going on. She constantly looks befuddled to me. But I agree, she's trying to play different this time. I just think she will overplay her hand first chance she gets. 

I also have a coworker who always walks around with that open-mouthed stare, and I always see her when I look at Sarah.   It's.... not good.

• Love 8

Not only has Debbie met presidents and prime ministers, she provided security to Queen Elizabeth in Buckingham Palace and was special advisor to Scotland Yard. She was a Commander!! 

On the other hand, maybe the president was president of her high school class.

I'd be more inclined to think she was referring to the president of her local neighborhood watch.

• Love 10

The Queen is dead!

Honestly, Sandra is just a street hustler...a very good one. And that's what it takes to win the game. Reading, manipulating people...she could hang with the best used car salesman in the world. I actually thought she might get away with it again.

What do you think Cochran was thinking when he saw Debbie? I would've loved it if he had changed course and tried to submarine her chances. (not like she has any anyway) There really aren't too many pejoratives that wouldn't accurately describe her...childish, immature, boastful, narcissistic, shallow, selfish, etc.

I'm in agreement with those who've said that it's time for new players. This rehash and recycling of former contestants is old and tired. Something is lost bringing back players again and again...maybe excitement and energy? 

And maybe for the first time, this early in the game, I really don't have a favorite or really anyone that I'm psyched about winning.

I guess they need more twists in the game to keep viewers interested with this cast of players.

• Love 4

I can't stand Zeke.  "I can't trust you if I don't know who you trust"   Really, Zeke?  Says the guy that gleefully voted of his best ally in his last season.

Did Varner ever say he was gay on the show before?

I remember Varner being deliberately coy about his sexual orientation in the publicity for the Australia season. Maybe he didn't want to be tarred with the Richard Hatch brush.

I enjoyed the brief bonding moment with Varner, Tai, and Zeke and was hoping they'd form Survivor's first gay men's alliance, but it looks like that's not going to happen.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, double-elvis said:

Judging by her facial expressions, Sarah seems to have no clue what's going on.

She seemed to know what Sandra was doing, so I highly doubt that.

• Love 2
(edited)

It has finally occurred to me that the 'gamechangers'  describes all the differences in the game this season. And NOT the cast. Because I never thought most of the cast were gamechangers. Exile island was really the best example- luxury and a chance to strategize with Cochran. Of course Debbie didn't take advantage of that. Cochran really had her pegged. 

I think Ozzie has finally matured and may be capable of recognizing someone who should not be believed. Was truly amazed that this tribe withstood two sessions( camp and tribal) of Sandra's' manipulation. Finally. A cop saw thru her. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 7