Type keyword(s) to search

Celebrity Guests: They Stir and Chop

I'll bite. So far my favorite is John Hamm and Drew Barrymore. I like him because he was very funny and actually seemed to know what he was doing. Drew won my heart because she brought in a recipe she does and wanted them to show her what she was doing wrong. That's what I want to do. I want Michael to show me how to make fried pork chops without needing a buzz saw to cut. (Yes I know that means they are overcooked but no matter how short of a time I use, if I fry them they become tough)

• Love 2

I want Michael to show me how to make fried pork chops without needing a buzz saw to cut. (Yes I know that means they are overcooked but no matter how short of a time I use, if I fry them they become tough)

caseylane, do you use a food thermometer? We started using one several years ago and we've had great success with all types of meat using the internal temperature as a guide rather than the cooking time.

They changed the recommended safe temp for pork a few years ago. Try cooking it to an internal temp of 145 and then letting the pork chops rest about three minutes before serving.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/25/dining/porks-safe-cooking-temperature-is-lowered.html?_r=0

http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/mintemp.html

• Love 1

caseylane, do you use a food thermometer? We started using one several years ago and we've had great success with all types of meat using the internal temperature as a guide rather than the cooking time.

Thanks for the suggestion, I need to buy a new one, mine is the old dial kind.

(edited)

Our old one broke just about a year ago so we got this one from Amazon and it's been great:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00009WE45/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

I also ordered one for my mother and she likes it too. It's very accurate, reads quickly, and stores nicely in the cover that comes with it. If you have Amazon Prime, shipping is free.

ETA:  I was on my phone when I posted that link to Amazon and I just now realized it's a link to their mobile site. Here's the thermometer link on the regular site:

http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-9842-Commercial-Waterproof-Thermometer/dp/B00009WE45

Edited by LuckyBitch
  • Love 2
(edited)

Darn it, chessiegal, I didn't think of BB&B. I was just lazy and ordered it from Amazon. Still, $12.99 with free shipping isn't a bad price.

Although, I just checked my order history to confirm that's what I paid. It turns out that when I ordered it, (well, two of them - one for me and one for my mother), the price was only $11.35. That was in May of last year.

Edited by LuckyBitch

It was a mystery why Katherine Schwarzenegger was a guest today other than to promote her book.  Her ongoing patter about her lack of culinary skills grated on my nerves.  If guests show up on The Chew to (whore) promote their latest ventures, at least have someone on who has rudimentary skills on how to boil water!

• Love 1

Her helplessness was annoying to be sure, as it is when any celebrity comes on and seems incapable of the most basic of skills. Her "I didn't know what to do after graduation so I wrote a book!" grated, too. I'm sure a lot of college grads have projects in mind; must be nice to have famous parents which guarantees your project will be greenlighted.

• Love 3

Really, young adults need some culinary skills - being scrambled eggs, using equipment, chopping, making a salad, warming up a can of soup, sautéing a piece of chicken (or roasting one) or grilling a hamburger or steak. Etc.

It's the incompetence I don't like and the sheer horror in the kitchen and trying to be so cute about it on the show.

Seriously - how do they get by eating and not knowing much - or anything about it? Being catered or dining out every meal of the day?

Even guys should know. How did this happen - since home ec was cancelled from schools?

Not that people need to know how to cook beyond the basics, I get that. But the basics.

• Love 6

I have enjoyed Boris Kodjoe and Nicole Ari Parker. They seem like they have seen a kitchen before and have no problem jumping in.  (Mmmm, tort-ah! *g* ) I also enjoyed Anika Noni Rose. Another of the Not Afraid to Cook club.

Bon Jovi, pere and fils, were cool, but it felt like poor Mario was working hard on that segment. Brooke Shields was fun, but I think if she was promoting something other than the story about her and her mom, she might have been a bit more relaxed. I think, iirc, she had been doing tons of talk shows about her book and that's why her voice was scratchy. She was possibly running on fumes. 

One thing I still haven't gotten over was Idina Menzel's reaction to the Rockettes. " Have I been upstaged by the Rockettes?" No, Ms. Manzel, but your insecurity is showing. That the rest of her segment(s) with Clinton kept getting sidetracked with her repeated annoyance with the interruption just made me a little less cheery and a little less of a fan. This is a food/cooking show, during Christmas, that was giving things away at random times. The Rockettes had "interrupted" a segment before yours. Also, being in show biz, they got their cues from the director. Being annoyed at the Rockettes is being annoyed at the wrong party.   I understand being flustered and defensive at the initial interruption. It was the repeated remarks she kept adding to the conversation that irked.

eta: I also enjoyed Michael Strahan just the other day! He really seems like  one of the genuinely nice guys. That he wasn't afraid to get in the demonstration and do stuff was nice.

Edited by Actionmage
  • Love 1

One thing I still haven't gotten over was Idina Menzel's reaction to the Rockettes. " Have I been upstaged by the Rockettes?" No, Ms. Manzel, but your insecurity is showing. That the rest of her segment(s) with Clinton kept getting sidetracked with her repeated annoyance with the interruption just made me a little less cheery and a little less of a fan. This is a food/cooking show, during Christmas, that was giving things away at random times. The Rockettes had "interrupted" a segment before yours. Also, being in show biz, they got their cues from the director. Being annoyed at the Rockettes is being annoyed at the wrong party.   I understand being flustered and defensive at the initial interruption. It was the repeated remarks she kept adding to the conversation that irked.

I don't even understand being flustered and defensive at the initial interruption. Even assuming they hadn't told her about it beforehand, she's a stage performer and ought to be used to handling the unexpected with a modicum of grace and good humor. She showed neither, and she didn't appear to be mock irritated, she seemed genuinely irritated. It was uncomfortable and unpleasant to witness.

• Love 4

I'm watching Friday's episode with Jay and Allison DeMarcus and they are awful. I don't know who they are but they are making me want to turn the episode off. They're so annoying and fake.  The worst kind of guests for me. I'd rather see a genuine person who doesn't know how to boil water than some lacquered up nightmare.

• Love 1

I've only watched Monday and Tuesday of this week so far but I think they have had good luck with guest stars. Looking forward to making a whole week without a Nene Leakes or her ilk! (fingers crossed)

Let me agree with you all, Dev Patel has become a hottie.

I had the show on while doing other things, then I looked up and saw Dev. I ummm sat and watched his whole segment lol. Very good looking.

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 2

Why are the guests so horrible in this show? Like awkward, clumsy, in appropriate. Marcia Gay Harden just made creepy sex jokes the whole time and hit on Mario Batali, Keri Russel was stilted & conceited sounding, and some actor from PLL boasted like a smug dickhead repeatedly. Ain't nobody got time for that

Is it the element of cooking rather than sitting in a chair with scripted q&a that causing them to let down their guard? Anyhow its off putting.

The food segments in general seem ill prepared. Clinton and Italian guy fumble around often.

Edited by Petunia13

Jeremy Piven was awkward and weird.  I don't think he's generally that good of an actor (even though I enjoy many of his performances) so it felt like he was acting on set, acting like some chill zen dude, but not really pulling it off very well.

• Love 3
(edited)

There seems to be, in the majority, two kinds of Chew  celebrity guests: the guests that seem to cook regularly/ are willing to learn or expand their cooking repertoire and those who seem to never/rarely/don't care to cook and are only there because Reasons.

Another axis of celebrities: Those that can multitask ( talk/cook/ hype their whatever) and those who can't. The intersection of these two axes can produce interesting TV or make me scream at the TV.

The celebrity chefs are a mix too. Tiffani and Carla were fun, but I like watching old friends catching up, so I was okay. Unfortunately, the recipe seemed underserved as far as instructions. I liked last week when Michael and the grilled cheese dude from Louisiana were making the grilled mac'n'cheese . Michael kept trying to put the gooey sandwiches straight on the panini press, but the gentleman kept telling Symon to use the wax paper. Finally, even Daphne and Batali had to stop him! *g*  Symon sounded so genuinely surprised, I had to chuckle!  I don't remember any chefs/cooks I just hated.  I did dislike Ms. Dean calling Clinton a turd in the punchbowl. Who goes around an says that on TV? Why was it left in? It's not "folksy-cute"; it was straight up rude and unbecoming in her, even with her wild-and-wooly rep.

edited because Ms. Dean isn't cloth.

Edited by Actionmage
  • Love 4

I saw that grilled cheese episode where he didn't listen to the guest as out it right on the panini press. He also didn't listen to another instruction I forgot what. If its bit the hosts bungling a recipe or skipping a step its the guests.

Hate to say it but Rachel Ray is better at doing interviews while cooking and having that effortless focus and managing guests to spill their info while following the rubric of the recipe. I don't know why that is.

ETA

Piven is a huge asshole. He's from my area. It's funny seeing him now and remembering him as the bald chubby guy on Seinfeld. Hair plugs and an expensive trainer do wonders. He's funny but really arrogant.

Edited by Petunia13

Are you sure you aren't thinking of Jason Alexander?

Jeremy played "George" in the episode where Jerry and George make a pilot of the show they pitched to NBC in the fourth season.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

Are you sure you aren't thinking of Jason Alexander?

No I'm not. Since, like I mentioned he lived in my town and I also watched that show. You should check it out it is very funny. Piven also played a slightly less fat baldy in PCU which was a movie and underrated. Anyhow. In any of his old roles like Seinfeld and some indies he's unrecognizable for people who don't know much about older films or tv or the actor and only saw Entourage . Edited by Petunia13

I'm watching The Chew today and I had to come find the appropriate thread for my thoughts concerning what Maria Bello had on. Why in the world was she wearing a t-shirt with holes in it for an interview on a nationally televised TV show?!? I missed the very beginning of her interview segments so maybe she explained her appearance and I missed it?

Jaded, Bello said that her shirt was one she wore while bartending 23 years old and Mario was a customer. Did I mention that she was promoting her book? I wouldn't have worn it. It looked more suitable as a dust rag. Somehow the show was lackluster. I turned the channel less than halfway.

Edited by pandora spocks
  • Love 1

I liked Snoop because he was willing to interact with the ingredients. Plus, Michael's face when he said "Bush", the name of Snoop's new album/cd.

I liked Carla's reaction to Snoop saying he spent a few hours with James Brown ( or was it Ray Charles? I think he was lucky enough to score time with both, though.) Her "Get. Out!" was fabulous and what several of us may have been thinking. *g*

• Love 1

Jenny McCarthy was on to promote her sex astrology book because astrology is such a precise science...much like her theory of vaccinations causing autism in children. *smh*

Speaking of sex, why was there a discussion of an app that tracks your sex life on a cooking show?

• Love 1

All I could think was that Eric Dane must be a much better actor than I had given him credit for because he was quite attractive as McSteamy and just a lump of wood as himself.

Or maybe he needs Shonda Rhimes to write his talk show patter for him.

• Love 3

I came because someone mentioned this thread for Watch What Happens Live aka Andy Cohen. Anyway, Eric Dane was on there too and I (and, others) also mentioned that Eric Dane basically sucks the fun out of a room. I thought it was because he didn't know anything about Andy's show but now it seems like Dane just doesn't have a personality for a talk show. I guess he's a good looking actor who needs a script. On his own he's way boring and very vanilla. Happy Fathers Dall, y'all!!!!!

• Love 3

"Lady, we get it, you like butter. But that's just flippin' gross lady, we get it, you like butter. But that's just flippin' gross."

When she said that a stick of butter would only be enough for her and Mario for the waffles, I don't think she was kidding. Why in the hell does Deen wear those heavy rings whenever she cooks? I was taught in food handling courses not to wear jewelry, especially rings during food preparation.

Does Gordon Elliott do the douchey voice overs when The Chew comes on? I find them very annoying.