Type keyword(s) to search

Longmire in the Media: No Cell Phones Required

ohjoy

I'm torn about whether the show is the best use of my favorite actress's time, but glad for the cast and crew and creators to continue having a job. Also glad that the Netflix model is to release all episodes at once. Which will make it easier to skip over the scenes where Walt and Vic get romantic. Blech.

Edited by taragel
  • Love 2

tvaddict44, I am a somewhat technologically challenged Longmire fan, obviously due to my old age ;) -- but I have a device called Roku.  It's the size of a hockey puck, connects into your TV, and picks up your house's WiFi. It comes with a remote control.  You press the Netflix button, and you can watch it through your TV.  You can buy it at BestBuy and Amazon. Their website is roku.com.  They have good instant-chat customer service. 

Happy to have Longmire to look forward to.  Thank you Netflix.

Off topic, if you have Netflix, check out Happy Valley (there's a forum for it here on previously).  It's a serious, well-acted BBC drama, staring Sarah Lancashire.  It skews slightly older too. 

• Love 1

tvaddict44, I am a somewhat technologically challenged Longmire fan, obviously due to my old age ;) -- but I have a device called Roku.  It's the size of a hockey puck, connects into your TV, and picks up your house's WiFi. It comes with a remote control.  You press the Netflix button, and you can watch it through your TV.  You can buy it at BestBuy and Amazon. Their website is roku.com.  They have good instant-chat customer service. 

Happy to have Longmire to look forward to.  Thank you Netflix.

Roku also has a little device the size of a USB drive that plugs into the HDMI port of your TV and does the same thing as the Roku player so it's easier to move around.

And thank you, Netflix. This makes me very happy. I hope everyone who survives the cliffhanger comes back.

• Love 1

This is such a smart move for Netflix. I am sure they saw good streaming numbers for the previous seasons of Longmire but it also indicates that they are broadening their horizons when it comes to original content.

Admittedly this show is total Dad-bait, so I would suspect that its 18-34 Nielsen ratings were lower than the population of Absaroka County. However, Netflix doesn't have to please advertisers and this is a good step towards broadening its subscriber base. Hopefully this is the first step for some of the more senior members of wider TV fandom to learn how glorious it is to stream content.

Now I just have to decide whether to continue playing the Longmire drinking game: drink if this shot of an animal portentous, drink when Walt is uncomfortable with modernity, and drink if this guest star was also on Justified. If I stream more than two episodes at a time I might be in serious trouble.

• Love 3

If there were anything that would tempt me to sign on with Netflix it would be Longmire season four - but I'm content to wait for the DVDs  .  Bravo Netflix.

Me, too. I hope to find recaps somewhere, just to know what happens.

That is excellent news! I really enjoyed this last season and think Netflix did a good job with the series. I've loved every single season and am glad the quality is still as good (if not better) as it was in the beginning. Hope we see more of Henry and that the new deputy gets hired back. Also, glad it looks like they are keeping Walt and Vic apart. Never liked the idea of those two getting together.

• Love 2

I'm more excited about a season five now that they're veering away from Walt/Vic too (seemingly). I would like them to figure out what the hell to do with Vic though. I mean her character was a real mess this season. They're wasting Katee Sackhoff's considerable talents like whoa and that's truly annoying and dumb.

I'm more excited about a season five now that they're veering away from Walt/Vic too (seemingly). I would like them to figure out what the hell to do with Vic though. I mean her character was a real mess this season. They're wasting Katee Sackhoff's considerable talents like whoa and that's truly annoying and dumb.

Vic is suffering from PTSD.  There is the potential for a lot of good storytelling about her situation.

Vic is suffering from PTSD.  There is the potential for a lot of good storytelling about her situation.

They spent so little time on it though that it didn't have much weight and I'm not sure that was very clear to most viewers. I just don't understand why they don't give her more to do each season. They spend so much time on the guest stars and their stories. This past year was Henry's year, but I'd like to see a lot more Vic, a lot more Ferg, a lot more Ruby. 

As the second lead, I'm surprised that Katee hasn't had a Vic-centric season. The third season belonged to Bailey Chase as Branch and he was great. This season was Lou Diamond as Henry. He was phenomenal. It's seems every season we are led to believe it's Katee's turn. I've noticed a lack of interest by Katee for the show as far as promotion over the last few years. She didn't participate in the pickup effort last year like other cast members. Bailey participated more and knew the fate of his character. She gave up on the show even through the producers were shopping it around. In a tweet earlier this year, an English fan was surprised that Longmire had been picked up. At a convention in London last Fall, when asked about Longmire, Katee said it was done, over. When the English fan reminded her in a tweet what she said, she didn't deny it. She said it was done and Netflix rescued it at the last minute. However fans knew that the studio was shopping the show around and that there were ongoing negotiations. She showed a lack of faith. Also, she promotes BSG more than Longmire. The demographics of the show's viewers may not appeal to her. Maybe the writers aren't developing Vic more because they realize Katee's lack of commitment. The character has not been written in a sympathetic way. It would be ironic if the character had PTSD considering how unsympathetic Vic was to Branch and he was obviously suffering from it.

• Love 2

So who thinks something will develop between Vic and the new deputy?  And what was the deal with her and the guy desperately seeking the deputy position--one-night stand or case pending?  I personally could do without Miss Vic--she has no personality and isn't as attractive as she seems to think.  It does seem she is somewhat depressed.  Other than that and missing Branch, I'm really liking this Netflix production.

I liked this series and am glad that Netflix picked it up if only to end it at the end of the year. I would rather watch a series knowing that the upcoming season will be it's last and knowing that they will tie it up than to have it abruptly end leaving the story dangling.

Edited by Giselle
  • Love 2

I liked this series and am glad that Netflix picked it up if only to end it at the end of the year. I would rather watch a series knowing that the upcoming season will be it's last and knowing that they will tie it up than to have it abruptly end leaving the story dangling.

It's better than nothing - although, of course, if I had my druthers, I'd be voting for MORE MORE MORE. :) At a guess, though, I suspect Netflix's motivation is somewhat akin to the reason A&E dropped Longmire in the first place - demographics.

Longmire was A&E's highest-rated show at the time, but viewership was pretty firmly entrenched in the 35-54 and 55+ demographics - not in the 18-34 key demographic A&E wanted to target. And I'd guess it's a pretty safe bet viewership volume did not transfer so well from A&E to Netflix because those same demographics (35-54 and 55+) are among the lowest in use of on-line media venues such as streaming Netflix. :(

From all the excited comments I saw in various forums and sites after Netflix announced their pickup of the series, I imagine that lots of viewers who wouldn't have signed up for Netflix otherwise did so and have remained subscribers to keep getting all the other goodness Netflix offers. Probably already a win all around.

I don't know how involved Craig Johnson is with the show, but if ending it on a high note after one more season means that he can concentrate on the book series I'm all for it since he's ventured into a really important serialized plot element. Waiting for the next book is torture.

• Love 1

From all the excited comments I saw in various forums and sites after Netflix announced their pickup of the series, I imagine that lots of viewers who wouldn't have signed up for Netflix otherwise did so and have remained subscribers to keep getting all the other goodness Netflix offers. Probably already a win all around.

I don't know how involved Craig Johnson is with the show, but if ending it on a high note after one more season means that he can concentrate on the book series I'm all for it since he's ventured into a really important serialized plot element. Waiting for the next book is torture.

Mmmm... didn't know there was a book series. Will have to check it out. How close is the series to the book?

A couple of 1st season episodes were loosely based on early books but other than the locale and most of the characters it's different. The books are great because Craig Johnson is just excellent at bringing characters to life in print and is a great storyteller. They're a real treat.

• Love 1

A couple of 1st season episodes were loosely based on early books but other than the locale and most of the characters it's different. The books are great because Craig Johnson is just excellent at bringing characters to life in print and is a great storyteller. They're a real treat.

I agree.  There is more humor in the books, more insight into the Walt/Henry friendship, and some really great recurring characters (Lonnie being my favorite um-hmm, yes, it is so). Lucien is a total hoot in the books and is in many of them.  I am really looking forward to the new book  coming out this year.

You can't read the books and compare them to the series as they are worlds apart.  But I totally love both.

• Love 3