Type keyword(s) to search

Longmire in the Media: No Cell Phones Required

ohjoy

The new season of Longmire finally has an official start date: Monday, June 2. There also a description in the article about the continuing plots coming into this season:

“Walt (played by Robert Taylor) finds himself reeling from a series of devastating traumas. His best friend, Henry Standing Bear (Lou Diamond Phillips), is going to prison on murder charges. Deputy Branch Connally (Bailey Chase) has been shot by a mysterious “white warrior,” and Vic Moretti (Katee Sackhoff) is unsure if she has shaken a stalker from her past."

I'm interested in everything but the stalker plotline. I don't feel like that panned out all that well last season.

• Love 2

I my head there are a bunch of execs at A&E sitting around a desk saying "is that show still on?". I can't believe how little love they have for this great show. 

That said, can't wait for the next season to start. 

• Love 1

This is one show we never missed. Mistake I made was to read all the Longmire book series. That deputy is and always has been a bitch and I just can't feel any compassion for her. Sorry but I wish she would be replaced.

The show so far this year has been its typical: good, solid but nothing that catches the eye of the press (or the marketing types).  (Glad to see the NYTimes write up, though.  They seem to "get it.") 

I really like this show, and the actors.  I like how it takes its time, and how understated it is.  I really hope A&E feels the same.  I just have this sinking feeling that they may pull the plug.  This show must cost them more than most, filming on location and all.  I find the Facebook page for Longmire a little lame.  I wonder who's in charge of that.

(edited)

This makes me happy. The low-hype high-viewership thing is a total mystery, but I'm glad the show is so popular and profitable for the network. I'm watching because the books are just so damn good and even though the show isn't exactly the same world as the books, the quality is right up there with them.

It might also encourage A&E to look for a few more excellent shows. They used to be good at it. Maybe some of that management is still around.

Edited by CoderLady

I'm among the many always nervous they will drop Longmire.  It hits an A+  and we never miss an episode.  In fact this season we are taping so that if it's renewed next year, we'll be able to "review" the storyline.  We've done this with Justified so we can go back now and rewatch seasons past.  Well worth the time!

Interesting comment by Katee Sackhoff on Facebook:

Can't wait for y'all to see this! ‪#‎LongmireFinale‬ http://t.co/6inWqlbfNk

Next season is going to be my favorite, see why on Monday! @AETV  (Emphasis added.)

Sure, maybe it's a ploy to get more people to watch.  Or, maybe, they'll make an announcement that the show's been renewed.  I'd give it about 30% odds of being a renewal.

The real interesting thing about her post is when she says: "Next season is going to be my favorite, see why on Monday! @AETV"

Now, like I said, this may be a way to bait people into watching.  Or, maybe, she knows something about the show being renewed.

(At first I thought it was Henry's voice.  Now I think it's Walt's.)

I am so very sorry to hear this! Glad that it is being shopped around to other networks, don't know how big a chance it is of this happening. This season might not have been the best but I sincerely loved the characters and found it a unique show. I will miss this show a lot.

Bummer.

They probably have a short time frame to make it work.  No doubt, the actors will be freed of their contracts and will start taking new work (that would have interfered with the normal filming of Longmire).

I know a few other shows have managed to rise forom the ashes, but it's such a long shot.  But I have my fingers crossed.

I hope to see you guys on other forums here.

But I'll really, really miss this one.

• Love 2

So, A&E ends Glades with a shooting and Longmire with a shooting. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Don't think I'll be spending my time on another A&E house drama.

• Love 5

I am really disappointed to hear this. I was sort of expecting it but it still is a bit of a surprise. I am going to miss this show and seeing what happens with these characters. I hope another network picks it up and treats it better than A&E did. It deserves at least a final season to wrap up some of the story lines and give the viewers a last season with Walt and the gang.

Shit. Well, at least I have the books to look forward to and now I can picture what everybody looks like. Except Vic, who I always imagined looked like a cross between Gina Carano / Michelle Rodriguez / that really mean little Marine in Aliens.

I'm kind of torn on if I want the show to continue but I'm also wondering who would pick it up. The best fit would be CBS...and it honestly wouldn't be a bad summer programming choice for them. 

• Love 1

I will miss this show.  If only they hadn't gone off track with that ridiculous storyline about Walt's wife.  I loved the relationship between Walt and Henry - that was the best part of the show. 

Taragel, I agree about CBS being a good fit.  Looks like they're also trying out some summer programming with Under The Dome and fluffy Reckless.  The could broaden into some mature programming with Longmire. 

I'll look for everyone in other forums.  Anybody have recommendations for other shows?

I am seriously bummed about this - it was a good show, not without it's problems, but still had rich characters that I grew to care about.  And A&E continues to disappoint as a network.  This was the only show they aired that I cared about.  How they must love the low production costs of reality TV.  So much for the "A" part of their network name.  Not sure I think much of the "E" part either.

I feel bad for the cast - they all seemed very committed to the show and looking forward to more of it. 

• Love 3

Ugh, bummer!! My husband will be crushed-- he doesn't watch much tv but this was one of the shows that he (and I) love. I know this past season was a bit of a mess, but there was still potential there. You suck, A&E!

I would love if this got picked up by CBS... Hear our pleas network gods!

• Love 2

TV cancellations are a mystery to me. I'm afraid to like shows because it seems like a kiss of death. I'm apparently a finely-tuned anti-desired-demographic. Others have mentioned the same phenomenon though.

Why the itchy trigger finger? The Glades had a similar problem with a bad season, could have been repaired. Repair seems not an option.

So many shows are doomed by bad writing it seems. But maybe that's not it. I don't understand the model. Either writing for TV is objectively difficult, or the talent pool is small. Why would it be small, is the money bad? Is the cost of decent writing too high, causing networks to abandon the effort and go for crap reality shows? Chicken and egg--they won't pay enough to get good writers, plots become crap, loses viewers, show is cancelled.

Or, the distinction between a well-written vs a crap plot doesn't relate directly enough to viewership, so it devolves to simply a matter of cost. So why bother to pay for better writers?

In the case of A&E, what else do they even have? Endless reruns of the heinous Criminal Minds, Duck Dynasty, Storage Wars, a show about tattoos. Are you fucking kidding me? Do they even have any originally scripted shows left? Why even bother to be a network?

• Love 4

I am very upset and disappointed about the cancellation.  LONGMIRE was a nice change from all the procedurals and 'fluff' shows during the summer months.  Loved the cast and the way the characters were developed.  Stupid execs at A&E!!!  Here's hoping the series will find a more discerning home.

• Love 3

I am very upset and disappointed about the cancellation.  LONGMIRE was a nice change from all the procedurals and 'fluff' shows during the summer months.  Loved the cast and the way the characters were developed.  Stupid execs at A&E!!!  Here's hoping the series will find a more discerning home.

I agree that is was a nice change.  TV is so samey.  Here we have a show with the main character not looking like he is one of those boring, factory-produced Hollywood yawn pretty boy types that I can never ever tell apart.  You got "Starbuck" back on TV.  You got better scenery than the endless city junkscapes.  You got the ultra cool character of Henry.  Only negative was the stupid dead wife thing that no one cared about from day one.  Now that they got the one negative kicked to the curb they kick the show to the curb.  Pretty stupid network but then no one watched it except for Longmire.  Oh well, deleted from my remote now.

• Love 5

Just heard about the cancellation. Although I'm not very surprised I still hoped for another season. A few thoughts on the show and why I think the ratings went down (my own personal opinion)...

Storylines went on too long. For three years the audience was supposed to care about who murdered an unknown character. The actors really tried to sell it, but couldn't overcome the fact that we just did not know this person. That plot should have been resolved earlier and it could have lead to another storyline.

The election - did anyone care about that one either? I mean, the show is about a sheriff called Longmire. He was not going to lose. That's another one they could have ended earlier for more interesting plots.

For me, both these plotlines just had a corressive effect on the series as a whole. While I still liked to watch the show, I found myself caring less and less. If I watched it fine, if I missed it one week, oh well.

The last season I also found I cared about the characters less and less. Longmire, who always was a bit self-righteous and holier than thou, started to become insufferable this season. Vic (never my favorite character but ok) became stupid and unbearable. Branch's descent could have been interesting but they took it too far and I just couldn't watch my favorite character anymore.

The one good thing about the show being cancelled is that we aren't going to have to endure a Longmire/Vic romantic relationship. It was bad enough the little they did this season. I truely couldn't stand those two together.

• Love 1
The one good thing about the show being cancelled is that we aren't going to have to endure a Longmire/Vic romantic relationship.

Yes.  I think the writers/producers found out that a lot of us didn't want to see that.  Best to just let the show die before letting that happen.

• Love 1

Does someone with better computer skills than I have know how to get a contact link for A&E?  I can't find any link on their website for customer comments. 

I left my comments on both the official Longmire - A&E and A&E's Facebook pages.  I think there have been a lot of unhappy Longmire fans doing that.

• Love 1

This has nothing to do with the (less than great) third season.  There are worse shows that go on much longer.  I just think A&E doesn't want to spend the money on scripted programming, which as we all know is the most expensive kind.  Good luck  putting all your eggs in that Duck Dynasty basket, A&E - maybe you might ask the folks over at the Food Network how they're doing with Paula Deen's show.

• Love 2

Well, they still have Bates Motel.

It may not have been the best thing on TV, but it also certainly wasn't the worst--by far--so I'm disappointed they didn't get a chance to redeem themselves. I hope the cast and crew find other gainful employment.

Very sorry to hear about losing Longmire!  Maybe someone should develop a show where the audience could write in the next week's show and the plot so the perfectionists will be happy.  Geez - it's TV show.  We're talking about a nation that watches the Kardashians!

Maybe FX or History can take it.  I loved the show.

• Love 2

I'm actually really surprised they haven't tried a reality show/drama hybrid yet where the plot/characters' actions are crowd-sourced and voted on weekly and stuff. 

I wonder when we'll hear about a possible pickup. An article this morning suggested it could possibly start airing/streaming again in fall of 2015 if they find a home soon. 

• Love 1

http://www.enstarz.com/articles/49352/20141024/longmire-season-4-update-craig-johnson-talks-tsunami-of-anger-reveals-real-reason-a-e-cancelled-crime-drama-video.htm

Following the show's cancellation, A&E claimed that Longmire did not rate as highly amount the ideal marketing demographic, stating that viewers were simply too old.

"The storm that hit them [A&E], from people older than 49, was truly a tsunami of anger," said the writer, adding that the drama's "older" fan base has more disposable income than any other age group in the country.

After receiving a lot of negative press for the "too old" argument, A&E revised their reasoning by claiming that it was a matter of ownership. Warner Brothers has produced the series over the last three seasons, making money off the licensing of it to A&E.

"They wanted to own the show…" explained Johnson. "A&E said if you don't sell it to us, we're going to cancel it. So Warner Brothers said, well that's fine, you do what you need to do. So A&E cancelled the show."

Two months later and producers are still shopping the show around with other networks. If Longmire does manage to find a new home, it will likely return for a fourth season during the second half of 2015.

• Love 2

Yeah, A&E: "We didn't mean what we said about you pissed off viewers with all the money." then points at Warner Brothers and whines "It's all their fault!" Ya big bunch of babies. Own it -- you screwed up.

• Love 2

So the old aren't worth entertaining?  Mr. Limecoke and I both loved the show but apparently we are dead to A&E.   Haven't watched that stupid network since they cancelled "Longmire."  I did read that they were shopping it around and hoped to have an answer by Christmas but I'm not holding my breath.  

• Love 2