Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: Episode 5

Consequences of forced labor continue to roil, as Shae contemplates having another abortion while Dustin introduces her to the world of online sex work. Jeanette makes a decision that results in a disheartening situation, as she struggles to accept the value of her self-worth. Meanwhile, Kimara tries to help another troubled girl while Nicholas and Clair’s troubles worsen, and Gabriella experiences an unsettling incident that makes her realize her new life isn’t exactly what she hoped it would be.

I'm finding this season really disturbing. I feel terrible for eating fruits & veg and not buying American made this or that.

I wonder about women who are so dependent on their spouse this day & age. How can u not have *any* money set aside??

Everything about this is painful, but I really give the show credit for going there over and over again. Can't believe there are so few episodes. I guess they aren't going to resolve things, and are just showing how hopeless it all is, and never-ending.

• Love 4

Maybe it's just me, but because my mom is Haitian, I'm feeling Gabrielle's accent is way off the mark.  I looked up the actress and she studied in Paris which would explain why she sounds more Parisian and less Creole. (That said I appreciate the fact it's helping me remember my French skills. )  Then I started yelling at the TV when she gave her passport over to Clair "Lady, you're never going to get it back!"

I can't believe there are only 3 episodes left.  I feel like I'm still waiting for the story to begin. 

That's where I am too.  I didn't watch the first season but I watched most of season 2 so I was expecting the separating storylines intersecting with each other by now.  Outside of Kimara and Clair, there hasn't been much of it.

• Love 1

I went to the bathroom, and missed the last scene, with Gabrielle and the mother. Could I ask very nicely what happened? I just came out in time to see the look on her face.

https://twitter.com/AmericanCrimeTV/status/851515655949922304

Hey, this has the scene.

I'm sorry, how the hell are there only three episodes left? I feel like this show just started! You know, this is still a really good show, and has had lots of really powerful themes and scenes this season, but it is hurting for not having a unifying crime to focus on. The other two seasons also had lots of characters and plot lines, but they more or less were surrounding one specific incident, even if that incident ends up just being the inciting incident of a much bigger problems that we need to explore. This just seems all over the place.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 5

I deleted the last 3 eps without watching. I decided I need to have at least a little joy with my drama. The story didn't grab me (either did the other 2 seasons, but I stuck with it anyway), and I just have too many other things to catch up with. Should I have stuck with it?

4 hours ago, PQuinn said:

And that's why so many kids in this country are fucked up.  If I hit an adult, my mother would have disciplined ME, not the adult.  

Months ago, I went to see Anna Devere Smith in a one woman show.  It was about police brutality, poverty and how mainly black children are affected.  There were two women sitting in front of us, whispering to each other through the first act; they left during intermission and didn't come back; my mom said, "I guess it got too real for them."  

To me, that's what this season is about, but it doesn't bother me at all.  I mean the reason why I go into a store and stuff is cheap is because maybe the workers in the store aren't being  paid a fair wage, or maybe the items are made in a place where there's slave labor; maybe the only way someone can afford a nanny is to find someone they can exploit.  

When I was a child, I probably got one winter coat a year, coats were made in the USA and were expensive, but it was okay, because I didn't need 10 winter coats and 400 pairs of shoes and a walk in closet to keep them all in.  There's a price to pay for everything that all of us want, and that's a hard truth to swallow.  

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 16
12 hours ago, mtlchick said:

Then I started yelling at the TV when she gave her passport over to Clair "Lady, you're never going to get it back!"

I was thinking, "Never give up your passport!"

I did not realize that Jeanette had been married for so long. That makes her husband and his sister's treatment of her much more appalling. From the way they talked to her, I thought they'd been married for only a few years. I felt so bad for her. I believe that in this country, it is imperative that you have your own money. If you're totally dependent on someone else, you leave yourself too vulnerable. She couldn't even leave the house for one night just to have some time to think.

I wish Nicholas would just be honest with his wife about his business rather than sniping at her. Nine fertility treatments and a failing business have left them in a precarious financial situation. Maybe if she knew that she'd get a job...maybe.

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • Love 5
16 minutes ago, One Imaginary Girl said:

There are 10 episodes in the season, so 5 more.

The preview said only 3 episodes left. I hope you're right and there are 5 more. 

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, One Imaginary Girl said:

There are 10 episodes in the season, so 5 more.

4 minutes ago, nutty1 said:

The preview said only 3 episodes left. I hope you're right and there are 5 more. 

Wikipedia quotes the Futon Critic with this season only having eight episodes, so it sounds like based on the promo, there are only three episodes left. :(

• Love 1
22 hours ago, mtlchick said:

Then I started yelling at the TV when she gave her passport over to Clair "Lady, you're never going to get it back!"

That was like watching a slow motion horror movie. Everything about Clair and the husband are so creepy and if I were Gabriella I'd want to leave. Everything Gabriella said screams that she's about to become a victim. She isn't close to her son, he doesn't know where she is, she handed over her passport, the family is super weird. (the thing about the leftovers, the way Clair pushed her off the kid etc) I find the Gabriella scenes so intense and terrifying.

• Love 7

I'm hoping that, even though Nick was against hiring a foreign nanny (the expense of it, while his wife does not work), Nick will come to the aid of Gabriella.  He's already seeing the ugliness in Claire.

Also, did you notice when Nick was talking with the other man at the party, he mentioned "when Claire had her baby".  "Her" baby. 

Edited by roughing it
  • Love 5
  On 4/10/2017 at 10:06 AM, mtlchick said:

That was like watching a slow motion horror movie. Everything about Clair and the husband are so creepy and if I were Gabriella I'd want to leave. Everything Gabriella said screams that she's about to become a victim. She isn't close to her son, he doesn't know where she is, she handed over her passport, the family is super weird. (the thing about the leftovers, the way Clair pushed her off the kid etc) I find the Gabriella scenes so intense and terrifying.

"That was like watching a slow motion horror movie."

Oh that's the perfect way to put it. I was utterly terrified by that scene.

• Love 7

I think it makes sense that this season is "all over the place", due to the numerous versions of human and sex trafficking in this country. There's no way that we'll get any of the stories wrapped up in a nice and satisfactory conclusion.

The look of "how can I ever leave this job" on Kimara's face as she helped that other under-aged girl was heartbreaking. She desperately wants to become a mom, but how could she be able to devote herself to her child and still be able to wake up and go get someone who's in need?

I'm worried more and more about Gabrielle and her situation. The husband doesn't want her in the house, the wife basically wants her there, because she thinks they have the funds to have a nanny. It's not necessary that they need someone else there all the time. It's also about control. The wife is slowly gaining info that Gabrielle doesn't have anyone that will miss her or try to contact her. She could do anything to Gabrielle.

Jeanette and her awful husband. When he threw the money in her face, that was it for me. Regardless of all his denials, that family is responsible for not providing better living conditions for the prople they employed to work on their farm.

• Love 5

"Mommy, why aren't we teaching Gabrielle English?" 

Such an innocent, yet creepy question.  

I just read a novel called The Cellar about an abused nanny/housekeeper.  I'm waiting for the next episode when Gabrielle is moved out of her room into less comfortable quarters (basement, broom closet).

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 5

"Mommy, why aren't we teaching Gabrielle English?" 

Such an innocent, yet creepy question.  

I just read a novel called The Cellar about an abused nanny/housekeeper.  I'm waiting for the next episode when Gabrielle is moved out of her room into less comfortable quarters (basement, broom closet).

Oh my gods.

On 2017-04-10 at 4:30 PM, Neurochick said:

To me, that's what this season is about, but it doesn't bother me at all.  I mean the reason why I go into a store and stuff is cheap is because maybe the workers in the store aren't being  paid a fair wage, or maybe the items are made in a place where there's slave labor; maybe the only way someone can afford a nanny is to find someone they can exploit.  

When I was a child, I probably got one winter coat a year, coats were made in the USA and were expensive, but it was okay, because I didn't need 10 winter coats and 400 pairs of shoes and a walk in closet to keep them all in.  There's a price to pay for everything that all of us want, and that's a hard truth to swallow.  

I read a phrase once that said "nothing in life is truly cheap. Someone, somewhere along the line pays the price". That's what this season is for me.

• Love 10

I'm not finding the storylines to blend together well like they did the previous seasons. The pregnant teen is not exactly a sex trafficking victim (she was forced into sex work due to poverty, family abuse, poor education) but she is currently able to make her own choices and was not kidnapped or smuggled into the country. The story. with the father searching for his son and Felicity Huffman's story go together nicely. But the sub story of her not being able to access a joint funds account (which she should have equal access too unless her husband's name is solely on all accounts) doesn't fit into the immigration story. I also don't believe the overseers of the farm would have any interest in taking on an ill white boy addict who doesn't know how to work and who could have family come looking for him. I understand that he doesn't have family who will help him, but why would they take the chance when there are endless amounts of illegal immigrants who would do the work? 

When Gabriella came along I had hopes they would at least show one story of someone coming to this country as an au pair and thriving. But of course, this show is all horror all the time! This story Is not needed and serves just to bring in Lily Taylor and Timothy Hutton.  Most agencies who place au pairs do background checks and well being checks on the girls/women they placed. Above all, this show offers no suggestions for change. People would pay more for organic food and furniture if they could afford to do so. I personally try to spend as responsibly as I can, but I am not wealthy and can only afford what I can afford. 

• Love 1

Well, I was happy that we got translation from the French this time around, but, yes, everything about the Nanny is right out of a horror show. "Sure. We'll keep your passport, which is the ONLY I.D. you have, in our safe, which YOU will not have the combination to." Right. Seeing how the rest of the season is going, I can only assume that the wife will see some interaction between Gabrielle and Tim Hutton that will cause her to become insanely jealous and lock Gabrielle away. Never to be seen again.

Speaking of never seen again, surprised that other than interviewing the creepy brother, no sign of what happened with Coy.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I also don't believe the overseers of the farm would have any interest in taking on an ill white boy addict who doesn't know how to work and who could have family come looking for him

I thought that maybe Isaac was attracted to him, that's part of why he acted so violently to him to prove he wasn't soft.

• Love 7

Because of some of the trailers and previews, we already know that things are going to get worse for Gabriella. I had thought we were being led to believe that Nick was the "bad guy" but realizing now that Clair is at best batshit crazy and at worst pure evil ... did anyone else get a sense that perhaps "little Nicky" is not the result of mazillions of dollars of IVF treatments (not that she didn't spend the money on them) but perhaps was "acquired" in other ways? 

Also, as someone who grew up (many many moons ago) with French being the mandatory primary language learned at my school starting in 5th grade (in NYC in the 1960s), and Spanish an elective starting in junior high, I find it so odd that someone would be so set on making sure their child learned FRENCH at an early age rather than Spanish. My biggest regret is not having taken Spanish because I was afraid I'd mix up the two languages. 

Finally, when Shae opted not to go through with her abortion, I was surprised that Kamara did not at least consider the possibility that she might still consider giving the baby up for adoption (especially if she could set up some sort of open adoption where she could still have some sort of communication down the line with the child). It just went from no abortion to her raising the child herself, which she never actually said she wanted to do AFAIK ... just that she didn't want to go through with the abortion. 

I did not watch the earlier seasons of this show but while some of the stylistic decisions are bugging my film-fanatic husband, I'm totally hooked based on the characters and the acting.

• Love 1

After seeing how much I am loving this season, I absolutely will! Thanks!

BTW ... am I the only person who finds the similarity between titles American Crime and American Crime Story really confusing?

Edited by PamelaMaeSnap
  • Love 4