Type keyword(s) to search

American Gods By Neil Gaiman: The Book

It's before he gets to Cairo.  It's after the House of the Rock.  However, since the incident that got Media's attention was Laura's slaughter of the Black Hats, we're not that far removed from that particular point.

14 hours ago, starri said:

See, I always read him as a lot older.

I agree about him being older in the book but not a ton of American or British sixtysomething actors come to mind.  Andre Braugher is busy.  Courtney B Vance maybe?  I like Orlando's build for it.  He is wiry.   I have never been a purist about transferring a character from book to screen unless a characteristic is essential. But Fuller blew it on Hannibal with one major character so he does have a blind spot.  So far I cannot complain beyond nitpicks.  

For example would Shadow say fuck while talking with the oldest sister?  In answer to a question she asked?  I don't think so.  Being polite is part of how he hides.

5 hours ago, ajsnaves said:

seems awfully early in the story last night though.  I might need to do a reread this summer after the show is done.

I think the show runners wanted to get Anderson on screen quickly.  I was okay with the timing.  I would like to know how Shadow got out of his noose.  That wasn't clear.  

I suspect we will only get one checkers game.  Because that threat does hang over Shadow in the whole book.  He even goes back at the end of the book to face the hammer.  

(edited)
40 minutes ago, jeansheridan said:

I would like to know how Shadow got out of his noose.  That wasn't clear.  

I think that was deliberately vague.  In the book, Shadow is taken captive after the episode at the House on the Rock and it is Laura who comes to his rescue.  In the show, Laura didn't come to his hotel room, leaving a trail of muddy footprints like she did in the book -- she only visited him in a dream.  The viewers don't know that she's been reanimated and is walking in the world. But as a reader, I have to assume that it was her wreaking bloody havoc on those techno-goons.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 3

Esquire ran an interesting piece of the show and how it's allowed Gaiman to update the New Gods, which I think did a great job quietly explaining why Orlando Jones was cast and not an older black man.  It basically has to do with the current political climate, as it's much different than it was 16-17 years ago.  Not to get too in depth (and your personal mileage may vary), but in a world where BLM has emerged, this Anansi feels more "real".

11 hours ago, jeansheridan said:

I would like to know how Shadow got out of his noose.  That wasn't clear. 

I don't think he was supposed to be killed.  Think about the larger con going on, the big picture between Wednesday and Mr. World.  To kill off Wednesday's sacrificial son before the War would have negated the point of a good bit of what they were trying to accomplish, which would be to bring about Ragnarok, not the Marvel movie, but the Norse mythical Ragnarok, the end of all things and beginning of all things.  Shadow is Baldur, whose death brings about Ragnarok.  So either Wednesday or Mr. World/Loki/Low-Key set him free.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Lemur said:

Not to get too in depth (and your personal mileage may vary), but in a world where BLM has emerged, this Anansi feels more "real".

That's a fair point.  I just wonder if they did it intentionally or not, since I think I've read and seen interviews with Fuller where he's said they were pretty deep into the development before they realized that they were making a show about immigration.  I think that's a component of the book, but I don't think it's the main point, which seems to be more about antiquity versus modernity.

The changes to Technical Boy are more obvious.

17 minutes ago, Lemur said:

Shadow is Baldur, whose death brings about Ragnarok.  So either Wednesday or Mr. World/Loki/Low-Key set him free.

But it was Laura.  Wednesday makes some point after he dies that the Black Hats were supposed to rough Shadow up and then release him, but Laura killed them before they got that chance.

6 minutes ago, starri said:

but Laura killed them before they got that chanc

I don't think I appreciated how disruptive Laura was to their plotting.  When I think of the book, I think of the big set pieces...Chicago, the frozen lake, the tree.  The time in the town reminds me of a Stephen King novel.  Shadow could have been in Derry, Maine.  The long con.  I actually don't remember any of the female characters other than the three sisters.  I have reread bits over the years but never the bits when women are prominent.   

• Love 1
Just now, jeansheridan said:

I have reread bits over the years but never the bits when women are prominent.   

The problem is that the women in the story are there almost entirely to help Shadow.  Laura and Easter are the most obvious, but Zorya Pulunochnaya gives him the silver dollar totem, Sam Black Crow helps hide him from the other Black Hats, and probably worst of all, Bast is there in Cairo just to fuck his boo-boos away.

Gaiman likes to present himself as #woke, and I always appreciated his writing of queer characters in Sandman (and the first positive portrayal of a trans character I'm aware of), but he does have a blind spot for women in some of his writing.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, starri said:

That's a fair point.  I just wonder if they did it intentionally or not, since I think I've read and seen interviews with Fuller where he's said they were pretty deep into the development before they realized that they were making a show about immigration.  I think that's a component of the book, but I don't think it's the main point, which seems to be more about antiquity versus modernity.

Gaiman and Fuller both said it was a component, but not an obvious one at the time of the book writing, but has become one.  Gaiman wrote American Gods as an outsider, so he always viewed America as a land of immigrants.  It's just become more prominent lately.  Just like it wasn't a big deal for Gaiman to have a mixed-race protagonist.  He viewed that as inherently American, the great Melting Pot and all that.

1 hour ago, starri said:

But it was Laura.  Wednesday makes some point after he dies that the Black Hats were supposed to rough Shadow up and then release him, but Laura killed them before they got that chance.

Hadn't considered they were trading out Technical Boy's "children" for Wood and Stone and the black ops train.  If that's the case, then damn, they may skip over my second favorite exchange in the book, when Shadow asks one of Odin's ravens to say "nevermore".

1 hour ago, starri said:

The problem is that the women in the story are there almost entirely to help Shadow.  Laura and Easter are the most obvious, but Zorya Pulunochnaya gives him the silver dollar totem, Sam Black Crow helps hide him from the other Black Hats, and probably worst of all, Bast is there in Cairo just to fuck his boo-boos away.

Gaiman likes to present himself as #woke, and I always appreciated his writing of queer characters in Sandman (and the first positive portrayal of a trans character I'm aware of), but he does have a blind spot for women in some of his writing.

That, or he's working within a mythological framework in which the patriarchy is dominant.  Alternately, that argument is a huge out for him.  I see what you're saying though. I can't disagree with your logic.  You can take it a step further in that it's a woman - Robbie's wife Audrey - who is also the instrument of his undoing in Lakeside (at Heinzleman's behest).

• Love 1

She did, but the end result of it is that Shadow's wounds were healed.

I'm trying to remember if she appeared with Ibis and Jacquel after Shadow died and had his soul weighed against Ma'at's feather, but I don't think she did.

• Love 1

In fairness to Gaiman, I don't need American Gods to be especially feminist.  I didn't read it looking for that nor did I especially expect it.  Neverwhere is one of my favorites by him and Door is a cool character but  the story is told through a man's perspective and three of the most vivid characters are men.  

From the beginning when I read the book nearly twenty years ago Gaiman called it an immigrant story, so that idea has long roots.  I find it a wonderful book about the Midwest  and I'm thrilled that the show seems to get that visually.  Visually the show shares a lot with Hannibal.  The stylized forest, the blood that splatters like water, the beautifully choreographed shots with two people facing each other, the stillness sometimes like when Shadow is standing in front of his home (and by the way, is there a raven on his roof way up high where a weather vane should be?).  American Gods may end up being one of the best looking television shows ever.  

I don't necessarily need to book to actually have feminist themes as its main driver, like, to take an example that's been talked about recently for obvious reasons, Handmaid's Tale.  But I would like it if the women weren't there exclusively to help out the men.  Easter is probably the most powerful of the Old Gods, because she's the only one who continues to be worshiped, at least obliquely.  But the only thing she actually does is bring Shadow back to life and then leaves the story.  And even that's only instigated because Horus tells her she has to.  And she needs Horus' help to do it as well.

In fairness, however, I realized I'd forgotten Watutu, the slave girl who's the one who brings Anansi over with her.  She has a moment where she fends off a would-be rapist by telling him she's a witch and that her vagina has teeth.  

Richard (richardmayhewdick) may be the main character of Neverwhere, but Door drives the plot.  And Yvaine is a much a lead in Stardust as Tristran is.  Gaiman has a whole arc of Sandman called "World's End" (one of my personal favorites) which is a takeoff of the Canterbury Tales, where one character explicitly points out that all the stories that are being told are men's stories, and even the other female character doesn't realize it.  So, that shows an awareness.  But there hasn't been a lot of follow-through.

• Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, starri said:

Richard (richardmayhewdick) may be the main character of Neverwhere, but Door drives the plot.  

I can't tell you how much glee this sentence has given me.

That said, we're apparently being introduced to a new Old God (TV Old God? Non-Book Old God?) this week in the form of Vulcan, the Roman god of metal working who apparently feeds off the worship of guns.  Should be interesting.

Edited by Lemur
10 hours ago, starri said:

I don't necessarily need to book to actually have feminist themes as its main driver, like, to take an example that's been talked about recently for obvious reasons, Handmaid's Tale.  But I would like it if the women weren't there exclusively to help out the men.  Easter is probably the most powerful of the Old Gods, because she's the only one who continues to be worshiped, at least obliquely.  But the only thing she actually does is bring Shadow back to life and then leaves the story.  And even that's only instigated because Horus tells her she has to.  And she needs Horus' help to do it as well.

In fairness, however, I realized I'd forgotten Watutu, the slave girl who's the one who brings Anansi over with her.  She has a moment where she fends off a would-be rapist by telling him she's a witch and that her vagina has teeth.  

Richard (richardmayhewdick) may be the main character of Neverwhere, but Door drives the plot.  And Yvaine is a much a lead in Stardust as Tristran is.  Gaiman has a whole arc of Sandman called "World's End" (one of my personal favorites) which is a takeoff of the Canterbury Tales, where one character explicitly points out that all the stories that are being told are men's stories, and even the other female character doesn't realize it.  So, that shows an awareness.  But there hasn't been a lot of follow-through.

Totally agree. It's something I hope the show will do a better job with. We'll see.

Also, thank you for the Richard, RichardMayhewDick comment. I always think that (and sometimes mutter under my breath) whenever I encounter that name. 

It has been quite some time since I read the book, but I count myself a huge fan, with this book on my personal top 10 since it was first printed. So it throws me when I see a scene that I don't remember. 

The wolf on the road at the end of the 3rd episode, does that happen in the book? Because I am drawing a complete blank on that one.

And I just read on another thread that they are only doing about the first third of the book this season. Here I am waiting with bated breath for the scene with Thunderbird, I hope we get it this year! (:

Second season has been greenlighted.  I think they may end this season with Shadow dropped off at the small town.  

I liked bringing Mad Sweeney back like that.  And his improbable speed walking.  Heh.  That actor is also a delight.

I also liked the opening which felt like a departure from the book.  I don't recall that scene at all.  The actress was wonderful in a one shot.  

Ricky has become my Shadow now.  He has a quiet charisma.  

I also loved the Jesus section.  Putting this in spoilers in case casting is a spoiler for you 

Spoiler

Imdb shows an actor playing Jesus for two eps so unlike the novel we get him.

41 minutes ago, jeansheridan said:

I also loved the Jesus section.  Putting this in spoilers in case casting is a spoiler for you 

Reveal hidden contents

Imdb shows an actor playing Jesus for two eps so unlike the novel we get him.

well anniversary edition has "extra material"  so I guess they went with that

I'm enjoying the expanding of some of the supping characters, like Mad Sweeny. The book left me wanting more of them, and now I'm getting it!

I cant wait to get to House on the Rock. I went a few years ago, and it really was a really weird, surreal, and super interesting place. Never seen anything like it before or since. I hope they will really go there to film.

• Love 1

For the most part I've really liked the casting and characterizations, changes and all, with the exception of Laura. I fully admit I might be stuck on how I perceived her in the book, which was basically a manic pixie dream girl as interpreted by Neil Gaiman. I saw her as a whimsical extrovert who pulled Shadow out of his own head and pushed him to live life. Giggling Laura with the strawberry daiquiri kisses. Her downfall was selfish impulsivity--the need to have instant, stimulating life experiences, and to feel connected and energized, but it never seemed malicious. Even though she cheated on him, I wouldn't characterize her as fundamentally disloyal. She loved Shadow and I think over time she may have realized she couldn't keep rationalizing away the shitty things she was doing to him as some sort of means to Something Bigger. When she died, she hated being a zombie because she couldn't fully participate in the living world.

In the show, it's like she was dead before she died. Morose, remorselessly selfish, unappreciative of Shadow, aware that he would do anything for Laura and that she would also do anything for Laura. 

Just me?

(edited)
On 5/16/2017 at 7:29 PM, CaptainTightpants said:

The wolf on the road at the end of the 3rd episode, does that happen in the book? Because I am drawing a complete blank on that one.

I recently did a re-read and I don't recall that either.  The only wolf I recollect appears during the dream-like journey to the god-meeting when they all get on the carousel. Shadows sees one keeping pace with the horses and he senses it's mate is also keeping pace, off in the darkness.

On 5/17/2017 at 0:09 PM, jeansheridan said:

Ricky has become my Shadow now.

Me too -- so much so that when the book makes mention of shadow's long black hair it confuses me.

9 minutes ago, The Mighty Peanut said:

In the show, it's like she was dead before she died. Morose, remorselessly selfish, unappreciative of Shadow, aware that he would do anything for Laura and that she would also do anything for Laura. 

Just me?

I think it's too soon to judge.  You haven't actually seen much of Laura in the show.  You might be reacting to what you've seen in the trailers and those are all bits taken out of context.  I'm guessing we'll se more of living Laura in flashbacks in future episodes.  That being said, I never much liked Laura in the book so I'm not expecting to like her in the show.

Edited by WatchrTina
1 hour ago, starri said:

I honestly thought that Laura was supposed to be flat-out unlikable in the book.  I mean, she's kind of a terrible person.

She manipulated him into robbing a bank, let him take the fall, cheated on him, and died having one last quickie. She was pretty terrible. But then she follows Shadow around the country and saves his life repeatedly. Her last act as a not-really-living person was for Shadow. When she kills Mr. Town she dedicates the death to Shadow. So, I don't think she is terrible through and through.

I watch the episodes through the starz app and I've seen the most recent episode, which is Laura-centric, but it looks like the episode thread is locked and sounds like others haven't seen it. I'll shut up so I don't ruin it for everyone. 

(edited)

I don't think of Laura as awful for some reason.  I think because she does save Shadow.  Plus he had free will regarding the robbery.  Shadow isn't stupid.  I think that's why he does his time so zen-like.

Gaiman isn't a great relationship writer.  No great romances in his books.  Stardust the film was much more romantic than the book.  But Fuller is a romantic.  He grounds all his weirdness with relationships.   So I have  hope Shadow and Laura being a great messed up couple.  I actually don't know if Laura is mean to represent a character from mythology.   The Norse goddesses never popped for me like the Greeks.  

G

Edited by jeansheridan
  • Love 4

That was the best!  Fuller and Green transformed Laura Moon into a full fledged character with her own arc.  And we get a female road trip.  I hope Audrey sticks around.  Emily Browning went from fantasy cute to realistically sour, angry, and depressed.  Then magnificently practical!  She was great.  I am so delighted.

• Love 2

I like how they dealt with Laura and her inherent un likability. There's no glossing over what she did and how awful she was to Shadow, but she also really did love him, and spends the book killing people to protect him, so its not like she's totally horrible. They committed to her crappy behavior, while giving it context, without cutting her too much slack. I like them expanding her character, like they have with some of the other supporting characters. Its really working out so far.

• Love 1

I think they did a terrific job of both fleshing out Laura and keeping the core of her, the unlikable part, intact.

I think this is the first place where I've truly thought the series has one-upped the book.

• Love 5
On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 4:04 PM, starri said:

I think this is the first place where I've truly thought the series has one-upped the book.

And this makes me happy because it means they have the confidence to do variations on the material.   I love the book clearly but do not need a page by page recreation.   There are some key big moments I hope to get but if I keep getting moments like Audrey and Laura chatting in the bathroom, I am good.  

Question.  Are Golums reanimated bodies meant to be protective? Or are they made of mud and stone?  

• Love 1

I'm curious if they will add more New Gods in the show, like they're adding some Old Gods (I think next week we get our first Greek god) based around newer aspects of modern life. Like, the goddess of social media, or the god of Wall-Mart, or something like that.

I think the former still falls under Media.

On 5/21/2017 at 8:59 AM, WatchrTina said:

Me too -- so much so that when the book makes mention of shadow's long black hair it confuses me.

I must have missed that bit when I was reading. My mental image of Shadow when reading, while not specifically looking like Ricky Whittle, was similar enough in a generic way that nothing about him is jarring.

On 2017-5-11 at 9:42 AM, starri said:

Watutu's tale , as well as her twin Agasu's, was the mos brutal part of the book for me. It was a punch in the gut and I think they need to  put this on screen. Slavery and its cruelty  is rarely pictured for what it is - the utter degration of a human being - and Gaiman didn't hold back - the paragraph about children eating with dogs was one of the most disturbing things I've ever read.. I'm sure there are some higher ups thinking it is too explicit, both in terms of violence and sex, and too political - what with slaves revolting against white opression in St. Domingue and founding Haiti. It's a minefield, but it needs to be done.

As far as Gaiman's books goes, I love his style, the way he writes and creativity. The man's mind... he just see things different than the rest of us. I loved American Gods, but I think it lacked something I can't really point - maybe a more... I feel like the Wednesday/Shadow dynamics are not that compelling in the book. 

Love Neverwhere. Love Sandman. Love all the 'chidren' books. Mixed feelings about The Ocean of the End of the Lane because. so. many. questions. without. an answer.

• Love 3
On 5/25/2017 at 4:13 PM, jeansheridan said:

And this makes me happy because it means they have the confidence to do variations on the material.   I love the book clearly but do not need a page by page recreation.   There are some key big moments I hope to get but if I keep getting moments like Audrey and Laura chatting in the bathroom, I am good.  

Question.  Are Golums reanimated bodies meant to be protective? Or are they made of mud and stone?  

Mud and stone. The other is too close to zombies.

• Love 1

Catching up onto he episode thread, and speculation about Shadow, takes me back. It's like reading the GOT unsullied 3-5 years ago!

Only now, everyone knows better, and (presumably) no-one wants to provide answers just because they're asking questions.

• Love 1

So the mean Groot.  Was that in the book?  I don't remember a killer tree god.

Mad Sweeney and Laura are gold together.  Again delighted they shifted from the book.

But here is a questionis -is Mr World more like Google now or more like....Amazon?  Or is he just global capitalism?  Because when Gaiman wrote this book no google, no smart phones, no ipads, Twitter, streaming!  No streaming Netflix.  

In general I don't mind when films and TV go off book unless the off book part entirely changes the point of the source material.  Like giving the Scarlet Letter a happy ending (yeah, that happened) or you know, not killing off Hamlet.  

But tonight felt a little too preachy in a way Gaiman just isn't.   I think he was wise to avoid Jesus in the book. And the Greek Gods.  Tonight felt ham fisted and obvious.  Oh well.  Two more for course correction.

• Love 1

I've read the book twice and I don't know how I missed it but I always assumed the Mr. Wood and Stone guys were all human. I thought that was the point of Shadow getting inside the one guy's head who really had to pee. Humans need to pee; Gods don't. But the newest episode made it seem like they were the oldest Gods, back from when early humans worshiped trees and rocks and other bits of nature.

Just watched E06, and so proud of the wife, who has just made a connection I've never made (mildly in my defence, I've only read the book the once).

She just put "stabbed by a Christmas tree" together with his shining light, name, and Odin's interest and concern, and asked if Shadow is Baldr.

• Love 2
On 6/5/2017 at 0:37 AM, jeansheridan said:

But here is a questionis -is Mr World more like Google now or more like....Amazon?  Or is he just global capitalism?  Because when Gaiman wrote this book no google, no smart phones, no ipads, Twitter, streaming!  No streaming Netflix.

I think it's easy to overemphasize his corporate/capitalist nature, since he seems to embody only a very specific aspect of the globalist mythology. He doesn't represent innovation or competition; that's more the Technical Kid. Nor does he represent brand identity and the spread of industry into culture; that's Media. And he's not, like, the idealized image of a captain of industry; if that's what they were going for, they wouldn't have cast Crispin Glover, the weirdest man in show business.

What Mr. World with his all-knowing, synergy-loving creepiness represents, I think, is the notion that behind everything that happens, there's a single unifying purpose that gives meaning to our collective existence even as it reduces us as individuals to mere cogs in the great globalist machine. That also fits with Mr. World's "the CIA killed Marilyn" introduction; the notion that random tragedies are actually part of some great, looming conspiracy is an aspect of the same nagging anxiety.

It's also important that Mr. World isn't actually who he claims to be. (Assuming the series is following the book, and it seems to be in this respect.) So what he claims to represent needs to be something that seems like it should have empowered a god but actually hasn't, because then Loki would be stepping on some ultra-powerful New God's toes. What better than the intense but vague human sense that there's a capitalist, globalist . . . something out that that ties the whole world together, but no one can come to a firm consensus as to what that something is? The vagueness of Mr. World is the reason there isn't an actual Mr. World, and the intensity with which everyone believes there should be a Mr. World is why Loki can assume the role and fool mortals and other gods alike.

But tonight felt a little too preachy in a way Gaiman just isn't.   I think he was wise to avoid Jesus in the book. And the Greek Gods.  Tonight felt ham fisted and obvious.

Agreed, though it wasn't Mexican Jesus who bothered me, as his portrayal at least seemed sincere. It was the portrayal of Vulcan's followers that bugged me the most; it felt too cartoonish to be anything but a "Gun culture is bad!" polemic. It's not even an argument I super disagree with, but at least offer an honest depiction of the other side. Even allowing for a veneer of fantasy, Second Amendment devotees aren't usually uniform-wearing conformists who fire guns wildly into the air in tribute to people who die in industrial accidents.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Dev F said:

What Mr. World with his all-knowing, synergy-loving creepiness represents, I think, is the notion that behind everything that happens, there's a single unifying purpose that gives meaning to our collective existence even as it reduces us as individuals to mere cogs in the great globalist machine.

Yikes, but cool.  So that idea that everything happens for a reason.  There is some great design individuals can't see.  

9 hours ago, Dev F said:

Agreed, though it wasn't Mexican Jesus who bothered me, as his portrayal at least seemed sincere. It was the portrayal of Vulcan's followers that bugged me the mos

I think my only issue with incorporating Jesus (or Buddha or Mohammed ) in this series is that these three are so well known and looming, they could overwhelm the show.  The opening was subtle in that Jesus was killed by Vulcan's bullets by people holding a traditional symbol of Christianity.  So you get the pros and cons of faith in one 2 minute segment.  

Maybe it's okay. It just brings up questions for me.  Like do all the New Gods need to be evil?  Is being modern a bad thing?  Will Shadow's ultimate hanging from the tree feel too Christ-like and sacrificial or was it meant to be that way from the get go in the book?   The son dying for his father.  

Still not my favorite ep.  And I am very ready for some Mr Nancy again.  But I guess he isn't in the book that much upon rereading it.  He just loomed large too.

With them adding some new things in the show (especially among the old gods) I would like to see a few "good" new gods, or at least some that aren't really evil like the ones we`ve met so far. Being modern isn't all bad, right? There are good, bad, and alright old gods, I would be nice to the same on the other side.

I don't exactly mind the show commenting in gun culture in America, because it is a big part of American culture and identity and that's what the show/book is about, but this episode was preachy in a way that the book never got close to being. Granted, the whole show is pretty over the top, but it didn't really fit into what the book was.

4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Granted, the whole show is pretty over the top, but it didn't really fit into what the book was.

Yes, the book was pretty low-key and I loved the down and out Americana road trip vibe of it.   With Fuller at the helm, I'm not surprised the show is more in your face (though I tire of the long drawn out artsy shots, like the one of the bullets flying in the air) which I remember well from Hannibal.  I don't get the feeling that Bryan Fuller feels quite as affectionate (not sure if that's quite the right word) as Gaiman did towards these pieces of America. 

To be fair, a huge part of the book is spent in Shadow's head and his zen acceptance of everything, which wouldn't play well on TV.  I doubt we'll get those long stretches of time in Lakeside, so the show needs to be fleshed out with these side trips that weren't in the book. 

I like that we're seeing more of Laura's story and Mad Sweeney's as well; since we don't know much of what Laura does except for working for a while (and Sweeney disappears for a good portion) - it's a logical turn for the show to take, plus the actors are great together.  I like seeing Salim again, though I hope he has a bit more to do then drive and smile sweetly.

I don't think the new gods are necessarily being portrayed as evil (though tech boy was a jerk) - the old gods aren't exactly all nice, either and they're all vying for the attention/worship of the American people.  There should be room for all, but that's not Wednesday's motivation for this trip anyway.

• Love 1
(edited)

For those digging the Mad Sweeney/Laura back-and-forth, it appears that Emily Browning is also going to be playing Essie McGowan (Essie Tregowan in the book) in Sweeney's "Coming to America" story in the next episode, which feels completely full circle considering Laura and Sweeney's current dynamic. Essie was the responsible for bringing Sweeney to America. Having Emily play her in addition to Laura is kind of a stroke of genius. 

ETA: Harper's Bazaar posted an exclusive clip and details on the casting decision (which was announced at SXSW in March) here:

http://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/film-tv/a9983023/american-gods-episode-7-essie-emily-browning/?utm_campaign=crowdfire&utm_content=crowdfire&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter#3309547732-tw#1496792848535

Edited by tongueincheek
On 2017-4-24 at 11:15 PM, jenrising said:

There's Anansi Boys, which is connected. I don't like it as much as American Gods but it is still pretty good. Good Omens is a great one if you enjoyed Neverwhere. 

I am so glad I read this. I had a memory of reading American Gods years ago, but the TV show (in terms of tone mainly) was miles away from my memory, but no, it was Anansi Boys that I read. 

As much as I like Salim being part of the road trip with Dead Wife and World's Tallest Leprechaun, I'm kind of sad that after being freed from his old life and gifted with a new identity he appears to have ditched it after a couple of days at most. Seems like the thrill of living in an entirely new way should have lasted a bit longer.

• Love 1
On 6/8/2017 at 1:25 PM, Bruinsfan said:

I'm kind of sad that after being freed from his old life and gifted with a new identity he appears to have ditched it after a couple of days at most. Seems like the thrill of living in an entirely new way should have lasted a bit longer.

I think it's because he's in love.

(edited)
On 5/3/2017 at 1:06 PM, tennisgurl said:

Speaking of, Mr. Nancy is the character I'm most concerned about being brought to screen. I'm not a purest by any means, and I get that things change in adaptation, but Orlando Jones still strikes me as a weird choice for Mr. Nancy. I had a few reservations about a few other casting choices, but seeing them, I think they'll be fine, but Orlando Jones is just so young! He is a good actor and all, and they have the style right it seems, but I always pictured Mr. Nancy as a cool, fun loving, super chill old guy who might be old, but he still loves to have fun and laugh and tell stories.

Orlando Jones threw me for a loop as well. Even though he is 50, he looks younger. I pictured an older, shorter, nattily dressed gentleman with a twinkle of mischief in his eye. I love the suggestions that have been thrown out here, especially Keith David and Scatman Crothers. When I read the book, I envisioned more a Redd Foxx type. And, thinking on it now, I can also see a Sammy Davis jr type. Both were charismatic entertainers with great comedic timing and devil may care attitude. They could tell a story that would entrance you and charm your pants off.  Seeing as how both those gents are dead, I could see Eddie Griffin.  Funnily enough, Eddie and Orlando were in a movie together, Double Take. 

Edited by rollacoaster
  • Love 1

I finally broke down and purchased the Kindle edition of American Gods. I was reading it on a small airplane (you know, the kind where you're sharing more than an armrest with your seatmates),  and had just gone past the Bilquis vaginal eats men scene when the man next to me leans over and says "Good book?" I was a little mortified as I understood the reason for the semi porn nature of the passage but realized strangers might not. Turns out he was a big Gaiman fan, loved the book and had no idea that it was now a series.

So my question is, Are there more explicit book scenes ahead that I'll just not read on a plane? I know where the series has gone, but I've seen some grumblings in the regular threads about the series going off course.  Thanks

I can only remember one even somewhat-explicit passage after the scene with Bilquis, when Shadow gets to Cairo, IL.  We won't see that this season, but it's fairly quick and doesn't involve anyone being sucked into an orifice.

I can only remember one even somewhat-explicit passage after the scene with Bilquis, when Shadow gets to Cairo, IL.  We won't see that this season, but it's fairly quick and doesn't involve anyone being sucked into an orifice.

Thanks. Makes me feel a bit better.

Gaiman doesn't do sex scenes just to have them or to add romance.

However Fuller may.  

I am a bit worried Shadow is being overshadowed by Mad Sweeney and Laura.  I like Ricky in the role but without more screen time and better lines I am worried he will become dull.  Shadow had a quiet, deadpan way about him in the book.

I was just rereading his time in Cairo and he doesn't blink at Ibis snacking on the organs of the dead.  He just rolls with it at this point in the book.  I am worried Ricky is being directed to play freaked out and he only knows one way to play that.

Mad Sweeney just has so much damn charisma, even in his non speaking bits.  I always watch him, ready to see something cool.  I want to feel that way about Shadow.  

Shadow isn't an easy role.  So much of what makes him compelling is his POV. I want to see his childhood now.  I want the show to love him like Gaiman did.

• Love 2
On Sunday, June 11, 2017 at 9:04 PM, rollacoaster said:

When I read the book, I envisioned more a Redd Foxx type. And, thinking on it now, I can also see a Sammy Davis jr type. B

Redd Foxx would have been ideal.  Orlando Jones is very modern.  But given he only had 5 minutes to make an impression, I'd say he did a memorable job.  That scene is vivid and I only watched it twice.  Confidence is one of Ananzi's traits and Jones sold me.

• Love 1

I'm honestly really interested in seeing where this Mad Sweeny/Laura thing is going. I really like it, but I'm not sure how this will affect where they both end up in the books. I mean, I guess they can't change it that much, but I feel like, with their characters being more connected now, it will be weird for their stories to end so separately.