Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media: What's Up With Her?

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we come up with catchy or snarky topic titles and still remember the human behind the title? 

Please review the Primetimer Guidelines.

• Start Topic

41 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

And then there's that whole "modest clothing" thing. Somehow I don't think parading around in leggings and a sports bra fits the definition. 

Well you never know - I was a Target a few years ago and saw a girl (late teens probably) in a hijab wearing a tube top and Daisy Dukes LOL. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

Well you never know - I was a Target a few years ago and saw a girl (late teens probably) in a hijab wearing a tube top and Daisy Dukes LOL. 

I've noticed an evolution with some younger Muslim girls wearing shorter skirts, jeans, but still wearing hijabs.  I think it must be an agreement worked out with their parents.

• Love 1
On 8/29/2021 at 3:46 PM, winsomeone said:

We need to hook up Whit and Michael from 90Days. They are both crazy to have a baby, and he doesn't seem to mind a fat woman with a loud obnoxious mouth. 

Oh no, poor Michael 🥺 He needs a break!!

Twit is out with a new ig post, hanging people out to dry, for not believing her new romance. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, cantfindaname said:

Oh no, poor Michael 🥺 He needs a break!!

Twit is out with a new ig post, hanging people out to dry, for not believing her new romance. 

Poor stupid asshole, how awful!

• Love 2
On 8/25/2021 at 9:39 PM, lightninggirl said:

I think he's North African and I think that his first language is Arabic. My ex is Moroccan and speaks Arabic, French, and English, and I'm also looking at her Insta pics of him and think that he might be Algerian, Tunisian, or Moroccan.

Tunis has a population of ethnic Europeans.  My mother's Sicilian family lived there after leaving Sicily in the late 19th century and there was a European population.  My grandfather was born there and some of my relatives married locals who were a mix of things.  Their first language was Italian and they picked up French there, then English after coming to the US.  I'm not totally buying that this guy's accent proves he is North African, though.  He really sounds American to me, not like any French Speaking North African speaking English that I've ever heard.  Maybe he is an American that grew up there, who knows?

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

, lightninggirl said:

I think he's North African and I think that his first language is Arabic. My ex is Moroccan and speaks Arabic, French, and English, and I'm also looking at her Insta pics of him and think that he might be Algerian, Tunisian, or Moroccan.

I really appreciate your expertise on his native tongue when you hear his accent. Although I am curious about what you are seeing that supports his origins. Is it something about the clothing, body type, or what you can see about the part of his head that hasn't been obscured?

image.png.14e8faeb5622186d1bc7cf3c2f2b8e06.png

This picture was posted on Reddit with three IG links that have since been made private.  BUT, this FB link was still active just now:

One video is still live on the FB page!

https://www.facebook.com/1031330943606995/videos/719455868485270

He is apparently an aspiring YOUNG rapper - probably looking for some exposure and a little extra cash!

Edited by HighlandWarriorGrl
Link not posting: https://www.facebook.com/1031330943606995/videos/719455868485270
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
31 minutes ago, HighlandWarriorGrl said:

This picture was posted on Reddit with three IG links that have since been made private.  BUT, this FB link was still active just now:

He is apparently an aspiring YOUNG rapper - probably looking for some exposure and a little extra cash!

This will fuck him up beyond recognition.He will be so sorry to get his ass in this.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 8/29/2021 at 9:10 AM, Colleenna said:

And then there's that whole "modest clothing" thing. Somehow I don't think parading around in leggings and a sports bra fits the definition. 

And no PDA.  She's automatically disqualified.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Ketzel said:

According to La Whitney, younger than her, but in his thirties.

I don’t think I believe for a minute that this guy is in his 30s.  He looks 24-25 tops.  Also, FYI, the YouTube videos and FB posts for this guy have been blocked and scrubbed according to some sleuthing Reddit posters.  I think it’s a good indication that “French Man” has truly been found out, and he is indeed a cast member.  

• Love 17
1 minute ago, HighlandWarriorGrl said:

I don’t think I believe for a minute that this guy is in his 30s.  He looks 24-25 tops.

I agree with you - not to mention that by the time they are in their thirties, I think most rapper wanna-bes have faced the sad truth that they aren't going to be the next Drake.

• Love 10
7 hours ago, HighlandWarriorGrl said:

He is a cutie!

2 hours ago, HighlandWarriorGrl said:

I don’t think I believe for a minute that this guy is in his 30s.  He looks 24-25 tops.  Also, FYI, the YouTube videos and FB posts for this guy have been blocked and scrubbed according to some sleuthing Reddit posters.  I think it’s a good indication that “French Man” has truly been found out, and he is indeed a cast member.  

I agree. He is 25 tops. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, lightninggirl said:

Thank you - I have a PhD in linguistics/second language acquisition and almost 35 years in the field. I also have taught a gigantic quantity of native Arabic speakers, 98% of them male, between the ages of 17 and 80 years of age from all over the world (mostly Gulf States). Then there's my personal romantic experience with Moroccans and other North Africans, Jordanians, Palestinians, and ... OK, I'll just cut myself off there but also adamantly emphasize that I have NEVER dated any of my students! 😉 

That being said, I will say that "what I'm seeing" that you asked above is mostly my gut. His voice immediately didn't sound French to me (I am a French speaker with an undergraduate minor in French), and also didn't sound like my male friends who are born & raised in France. It also didn't sound American, but it sounded more American than British or Canadian. I also have spent my summers since birth going to Québec, which is where I learned French, and it didn't sound French Canadian to me, either. Then I saw pictures, so the first thing I noticed was the superimposed circle over his head was ENORMOUS and figured he might have long/thick hair and also saw the shoes and pants. Once I saw those, it brought me back to my Arabic-speaking students' style and I began to think he might be North African. Then I saw the pic of he & Sweatney sitting at the table, and I saw his forearms and the tops of his fingers, and (generalizing!) that was telling to me that he was of Middle Eastern descent. That made his accent make sense to me, where he was probably raised in an Arabic-speaking household and his parents/grandparents were from North Africa, but he probably was educated in French schools and picked up English from TV/movies/internet/friends/language school. THEN someone outed his name, which is Arabic, and it's also a common Algerian male first name. Then I saw that Sweatney was following muslimahs on Insta and the Islam Insta account. He might be dumber than she is - I don't know.

That was long, but that was my educational and professional experience on how I came up with my belief that Nail, bless his little heart, is Algerian (well, probably first- or second-generation French).

Taking my reply to you over to  small talk.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, lightninggirl said:

That being said, I will say that "what I'm seeing" that you asked above is mostly my gut. His voice immediately didn't sound French to me (I am a French speaker with an undergraduate minor in French), and also didn't sound like my male friends who are born & raised in France. It also didn't sound American, but it sounded more American than British or Canadian. I also have spent my summers since birth going to Québec, which is where I learned French, and it didn't sound French Canadian to me, either. Then I saw pictures, so the first thing I noticed was the superimposed circle over his head was ENORMOUS and figured he might have long/thick hair and also saw the shoes and pants. Once I saw those, it brought me back to my Arabic-speaking students' style and I began to think he might be North African. Then I saw the pic of he & Sweatney sitting at the table, and I saw his forearms and the tops of his fingers, and (generalizing!) that was telling to me that he was of Middle Eastern descent. That made his accent make sense to me, where he was probably raised in an Arabic-speaking household and his parents/grandparents were from North Africa, but he probably was educated in French schools and picked up English from TV/movies/internet/friends/language school. THEN someone outed his name, which is Arabic, and it's also a common Algerian male first name. Then I saw that Sweatney was following muslimahs on Insta and the Islam Insta account. He might be dumber than she is - I don't know.

That was long, but that was my educational and professional experience on how I came up with my belief that Nail, bless his little heart, is Algerian (well, probably first- or second-generation French).

Excellent sleuthing, but do you think there's a chance that he lived for a while in the US and maybe went to school here too?  He could know French from his North African family if they spoke it at home.  Many North Africans still speak French.  I still feel like his accent has too much American in it to have learned it just from TV.

And speaking of sleuthing, was it me or did I see Arabic writing on Sweatney's wrist in this episode?  I froze the frame when she revealed her wrist and tried to figure that out but I couldn't see it that well even on my huge TV.  It looked like a crude tattoo.  

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Excellent sleuthing, but do you think there's a chance that he lived for a while in the US and maybe went to school here too?  He could know French from his North African family if they spoke it at home.  Many North Africans still speak French.  I still feel like his accent has too much American in it to have learned it just from TV.

And speaking of sleuthing, was it me or did I see Arabic writing on Sweatney's wrist in this episode?  I froze the frame when she revealed her wrist and tried to figure that out but I couldn't see it that well even on my huge TV.  It looked like a crude tattoo.  

I can’t find it now, but Whitney posted on IG in one of the comments that “He’s bilingual and grew up learning and speaking English with an American.  He was born in France, has always lived in France, and is French.”

For whatever that is worth lol.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
48 minutes ago, Irate Panda said:

I can’t find it now, but Whitney posted on IG in one of the comments that “He’s bilingual and grew up learning and speaking English with an American.  He was born in France, has always lived in France, and is French.”

For whatever that is worth lol.

Why would a native French person choose to speak in American English? It's like New England WASP hiring forcing their child to into an Appalachian English accent. I mean, maybe if they hated their child, but I grew up in a major city in the south with parents with much more pronounced southern accents and it was highly encouraged that I not develop an accent placable to even say 30 miles outside of our city. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, John M said:

Why would a native French person choose to speak in American English? It's like New England WASP hiring forcing their child to into an Appalachian English accent. I mean, maybe if they hated their child, but I grew up in a major city in the south with parents with much more pronounced southern accents and it was highly encouraged that I not develop an accent placable to even say 30 miles outside of our city. 

Well, if I’m taking Big Whit at her word (I know, I know).  I don’t find it super strange that the guy could have learned/practiced English with an American.  He probably was learning some English in school anyway and maybe had an American friend.  Also, he could have learned English listening to American music or TV.  

• Love 1
14 hours ago, lightninggirl said:

...and I saw his forearms and the tops of his fingers, and (generalizing!) that was telling to me that he was of Middle Eastern descent.

What is it about "the tops of his fingers" that tipped (pun intended) you off?

The rapper in the video actually has a decent French accent, so probably not him.

Also, he could have learned English listening to American music or TV.  

I've heard quite a few non-native English speakers say they learn English from American television. There's a lot of it and it's readily available in many other countries. 

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

So Whit is whining on SM because 'people can't just let her be happy'. Uh - no one said you can't be happy. We said you are lying again because you've done it a zillion times so far and this one doesn't seem any more realistic. 

There is nothing about this whole scenario that seems plausible at all. I would think it's highly implausible even if Whit wasn't a toxic cow. Some 20something aspiring rapper goes online to teach French and magically falls in love with his 37 year old student after she determines to turn her 'tutor into a suitor'? Not to mention we are supposed to believe the queen of 'never finishes anything' decided to get a tutor to learn for absolutely no discernible reason and then just happens to attract the afore mentioned aspiring rapper/tutor. And all of this just in time to film for the next season. Gee... how can we doubt this at all???

They don't even try to plot for her anymore.Nobody wants to work the show.whitless is a dead issue.No one believes her about anything.She is useless,she lies all the time,nobody likes her at all.If it wasn't for the checks no one would even be there.this guy is a joke.Just kill the show,it's braindead already.Whitless deserves nothing.Hopefully that what she gets.

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, stoppro said:

They don't even try to plot for her anymore.

This is so true. They could make fake storylines that don't seem so ridiculous with just a little effort. If they want to subject us to yet another fake boyfriend storyline, at least make it more believable. Why does she have to meet a guy who lives in France? At least have her meet some guy while out walking her dog. Then they could have dog loving in common. He could have a regular job (they could make one up - it's not like we have to see him at his work). It could sound like a natural progression of a relationship. He could go with her to her fertility appointments (blurred of course) and then struggle with deciding if he wants to get serious with a woman who wants a baby... etc. She could still have her other stupid, made-up storylines but at least the genesis of the relationship wouldn't be completely absurd. We would know she's lying but it wouldn't be so obvious. 

• Love 8
22 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

This is so true. They could make fake storylines that don't seem so ridiculous with just a little effort. If they want to subject us to yet another fake boyfriend storyline, at least make it more believable. Why does she have to meet a guy who lives in France? At least have her meet some guy while out walking her dog. Then they could have dog loving in common. He could have a regular job (they could make one up - it's not like we have to see him at his work). It could sound like a natural progression of a relationship. He could go with her to her fertility appointments (blurred of course) and then struggle with deciding if he wants to get serious with a woman who wants a baby... etc. She could still have her other stupid, made-up storylines but at least the genesis of the relationship wouldn't be completely absurd. We would know she's lying but it wouldn't be so obvious. 

Hey, that's how Ryan met the woman who just had his baby  - while walking their respective dogs. Maybe Whitney could call her up and ask her how she did it? Oh wait . . .

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Ketzel said:

Hey, that's how Ryan met the woman who just had his baby  - while walking their respective dogs. Maybe Whitney could call her up and ask her how she did it? Oh wait . . .

LOL!!! I completely forgot that's how they met. I bet even if the show developers recommended writing the "how I met the guy' part of the story as more normal and mundane she would object. She wants the fantasy story - we fell in love over the French - the language of love. We spent amazing time in Paris - the city of love. We wander the City of Lights in a love coma. Everything has to be bad teen fanfiction. It's not romantic enough to meet someone walking her dog (assuming it's even her who walks her dog), although I think Ryan and his girlfriend would disagree. Seems to be working for them. :-). 

• Love 6
16 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I think Sweatney said that he’d learned English from a friend’s parent who was American, and he spent a lot of time in their house.

sweatney has a tattoo in Korean letters on the inside of one of her wrists, so that’s what you might have seen. She went to Korea and taught English for a spell.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

She could still have her other stupid, made-up storylines but at least the genesis of the relationship wouldn't be completely absurd. We would know she's lying but it wouldn't be so obvious. 

That's right.  Lie to us, but don't insult us!  Twit just wanted a(nother) free trip to France.

• Love 3

Haven't visited thread in a few days, come back and boom, Blur has a name. Primetimer Sleuths are amazing.  Calling shenanigans on every word out of Toxic Cow 's mouth about how they met. Central Casting was involved. 

Edited by jacksgirl
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

TLC is so going to steal this idea 🤣

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, John M said:

I kind of agree with you on this.  Years ago my husband made a male French friend who had just come here.  He wanted very badly to be an American.  He changed his name to "Phil" from "Phillipe", bought big old American cars and ate cheeseburgers.  He also learned English very quickly.  But one thing he NEVER did was make a point to learn how to speak in an American accent.  He still speaks with his same French accent.  Of course he can imitate an American accent but only when he's joking around.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 3

This show has a history of showing unbelievable scenarios and not even trying to pass them off well. Remember when they had Whitney, Chase, and Ryan all share a room in Paris? In any real situation, Ryan would not be bunking with the couple. Even if TLC only paid for the one in real life, they could have easily pretended it was theirs alone for filming and avoided viewers pointing out the obvious weirdness. Likewise, they are trying to pass off Whitney as having 5 months of French lessons but they show her poorly saying basic "my name is..." lines. They could have had her do one advanced line for show, or just avoided showing it at all if they want people to take that as truth. Filming the super basic lines just reveals the obvious lie that she hasn't been actually at it for 5 months.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Yay!  Another mediocre rapper trying to get time on a reality TV show!  More mediocrity for your listening displeasure!  Somebody explain to Nail that he needs to stay in rhythm when rapping. There is no way this dude is hot for Whitney.  French tutor?  Maybe. After all we know he's not making big bucks with his "talent." Fell in love with Whit while teaching her? No.  I'd say production is desperate for a love interest for Whitless and glommed onto this guy.  Somewhere along the way he realized it wasn't worth it.  Can't we get Whit to start writing convicts so she can join the clueless clowns on Love After Lockup? They're all in fluv after ten seconds of knowing someone; an appealing personality is never a prerequisite. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 4
47 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Can't we get Whit to start writing convicts so she can join the clueless clowns on Love After Lockup?

Yes, yes, yes! We can have the reality TV trifecta: fat issues (600PL), foreigners who want your money/green card (90DF) AND jailbird love!

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

lightninggirl, I wanted to thank you for your detailed answer to my question a few days ago. I thought I had posted a reply, but then, Ida came along and took out the power for two days. I really appreciate all the time you took to post your well reasoned answer. It is so great to have so many professionals around here.

• Love 3