Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media: What's Up With Her?

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we come up with catchy or snarky topic titles and still remember the human behind the title? 

Please review the Primetimer Guidelines.

• Start Topic

16 minutes ago, Ketzel said:

Your wish is my command, Oh Mighty Dot! 🙂

Whitney says that from her babyhood, where she jiggled in the car seat to the rhythms of Motown on the radio, she displayed an "intrinsic" love of dance. "I instinctively understood the nuances of how to move my body to a particular kind of music because I could feel it.  [italics in the original]."  Once she heard a song's melody, an "electric current" would make her bones vibrate  and "like a conduit, I had no other choice but to channel it through movement."

When she was six years old, (1990) her parents signed her up for "ballet, tap, jazz and gymnastics at the Cindy Gill School of Dance."

She claims that due to her "natural ability and unnatural enthusiasm" she "quickly became Miss Cindy's star student." She repeatedly had the opportunity "to dance in every dancer's most coveted spot: front and center." Unfortunately, from that spot she could also see that she was a lot taller and heavier than the other girls, and so began her obsession with her weight. And in the summer of her fifth grade year, she decided not to dance anymore.

Three or four years later, as a freshman in high school, she had lost some weight and auditioned for a high school production of Jesus Christ Superstar. She was cast as a dancer and the choreographer mentored her and eventually accepted her into the Honors Advanced Dance Class that she taught at the Weaver Center (a specialized curriculum in performing arts for high school students). Whitney admits she was at first surprised to be accepted because, although she "had the passion, the drive, the natural talent and the basic skills [she] had acquired in childhood," she was "miles behind " in "the more technical elements of leaps and turns."  After that, she auditioned for a community theatre production of Carousel, was cast as an ensemble dancer and also became a pet of the choreographer because she "worked harder than anyone else." 

While it seems Whitney spent a lot of time in the studio,, she was being taught choreography,  not dance fundamentals. At some point (in her junior year?) she was referred to a new teacher at the Weaver Center named Leslie, who asked her if she was being taught by any local professional. When she learned Whitney was not taking regular classes, she "invited [her] to take a class with her senior competition company." This turned out to be a technical ballet class and Whitney who had "never been adept at ballet," struggled hard to keep up. Also, the other members of the class were taller and thinner than she was and, once again, her "thick thighs and lack of technique threatened to shake [her] identity as a dancer." (Whitney doesn't say so, but competitive dancers of high school age would probably have been doing at least half of this class en pointe and there is no indication she'd ever graduated to pointe work at Miss Cindy's.) She does say she was dancing en pointe after a few months in Leslie's class,"albeit wobbly and poorly.")  At some point during this time was the rescue of Todd's high school production of Grease, where she choreographed and played Cha Cha. She was also invited to teach a hip hop class for children and adults (why am I thinking "mommy and me?) and discovered she loved to teach.

That's what she has to say about her dance background. At this point, she was taking Adderall and binging and purging to keep her weight down, and once she arrived at college, her weight went out of control and she stopped dancing for ten years. She then took one ballet class where she claims the teacher said she would have been an amazing dancer if she weren't so fat, so she dropped the class. She took one Zumba class that she really liked because there wasn't any structure -  the teacher danced and the class followed. When it was over, the teacher told her she was a great dancer and should be a Zumba teacher, so she took a one day certification class, and got a license to teach Zumba.

So Twit has eyes in the back of her head that enabled her to see that she was heavier than the girls BEHIND HER....(after all, she was "front and center.")

And although I've never had kids, I think pretty much EVERY baby jiggles and wiggles to music. They even make up their own dances. 

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

So Twit has eyes in the back of her head that enabled her to see that she was heavier than the girls BEHIND HER....(after all, she was "front and center.")

I assume she meant she was looking in the floor to ceiling mirrors in the studio.

• Love 3

Thanks, @Ketzel. 😊 

If I were to summarize Twit's background, I would simply say she never conquered the techniques required of a professional dancer. She appears to admit that in her own words. But, of course, her natural talent won the day without the need for pesky  things like technique.

• LOL 7

So she has really no organized and systematic training. It seems that she’s hooked all of her ‘I could have had a dance career’ on the combination of her “natural talent” and the fact that she was took a class with the senior company. I have a few thoughts on that. First, does dance take age into consideration? It sounds to me that either they let her take a class with the senior group because that was her age group even if she wasn’t up to par or it wasn’t a very competitive group. I am fascinated with her comments about her weight too. She always makes it sound like PCOS hit her in college and she ballooned up ruining her chances for a dance career. But here she talks about how being overweight much younger than that was a problem. If she was being told as an early teen that her weight was preventing her from being a successful dancer then she should have known a dance career wasn’t in her future. 

Also, the idea that she had natural talent so she didn’t need to do all of that traditional work and systematic training is just offensive and oh so wrong. Even the most talented people have trainers and coaches and work their asses off. Just look at people like Michael Phelps or Simone Biles. Both have out of this world natural talent. But they also train inhuman number of  hours and learn skills and technique from their coaches. They have the natural talent needed to become the GOAT of their sport but it didn’t just happen because they have that talent.  

• Love 9

I assume she meant she was looking in the floor to ceiling mirrors in the studio.

Or she occasionally turned around. Or saw the other students before and after class.

So she has really no organized and systematic training. It seems that she’s hooked all of her ‘I could have had a dance career’ on the combination of her “natural talent” and the fact that she was took a class with the senior company. I have a few thoughts on that. 

Wasn't she a dance or theater major in college too?

No Twittney... you would not have ever been a professional dancer, even if you weren't morbidly obese. Those who succeed in the world of dance devote their lives to it. They have to hunger for it and push their bodies to the breaking point every day, mastering technique, learning nuance and driving themselves to excel. They need both the natural talent and the determination to develop.

There is are several ballet dancers that I've been following for several years that I first saw in a documentary about young dancers competing in the Youth America Grand Prix. One was a teenage girl originally born in Sierra Leone and lost her entire family in the civil war before being adopted and brought to the US. The other was an 11 year old kid who's father managed his military career over where he was based so he son could get the best dance training (even taking a tour of duty in Iraq because it allowed for a better family deployment). There was a teenager from Columbia who left his family in order to come to NY for training. These kids absolutely lived for dance and had to sacrifice a lot in order to achieve their goals. Now the girl is a soloist with the Royal Dutch Ballet and the boy just was named soloist for the American Ballet Theater in NYC.

Whitney is a poseur. She dabbled at dance, thinking that a few classes here and there qualifies her as this great professional. Would she ever try to work through an injury in order to perform? What would she give up? She wants all the notice and praise while doing nearly nothing to earn it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12

Thanks for answering my question, Ketzel!!  Insightful stuff!

and the choreographer mentored her and eventually accepted her into the Honors Advanced Dance Class that she taught at the Weaver Center (a specialized curriculum in performing arts for high school students). Whitney admits she was at first surprised to be accepted because, although she "had the passion, the drive, the natural talent and the basic skills [she] had acquired in childhood," she was "miles behind " in "the more technical elements of leaps and turns."  

and.....

When she learned Whitney was not taking regular classes, she "invited [her] to take a class with her senior competition company." This turned out to be a technical ballet class and Whitney who had "never been adept at ballet," struggled hard to keep up. Also, the other members of the class were taller and thinner than she was and, once again, her "thick thighs and lack of technique threatened to shake [her] identity as a dancer." 

For the opportunities that she was given by those who identified her immense talent (ha!!), does anyone feel like those were just acts of kindness?  That these teachers saw an awkward girl trying to participate and gave her an invitation to learn more about dance and feel included?  As sited in the quotes, by her own admission, she was not at all prepared to join these groups.  Surely the teachers would have known ahead of time that she was wholly ill-equipped to take these level of classes.  And yet they asked her to join anyway.

• Love 5
55 minutes ago, Kiki620 said:

Thanks for answering my question, Ketzel!!  Insightful stuff!

For the opportunities that she was given by those who identified her immense talent (ha!!), does anyone feel like those were just acts of kindness?  That these teachers saw an awkward girl trying to participate and gave her an invitation to learn more about dance and feel included?  As sited in the quotes, by her own admission, she was not at all prepared to join these groups.  Surely the teachers would have known ahead of time that she was wholly ill-equipped to take these level of classes.  And yet they asked her to join anyway.

Maybe all those invitations came from the simple fact that these studio owners saw a source of income. For its size, Greensboro seems to have an overabundance of dance studios -- and specialty gyms, for that matter. I would think that the possibility of signing up another paying customer, no matter how untrained she is, would be appealing.

Does anyone actually believe Will let Twit back into his gym because he saw her potential? Nah. Twit could pay his fee, not to mention the free advertising he got from MBFFL.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, Hana Chan said:

No Twittney... you would not have ever been a professional dancer, even if you weren't morbidly obese. Those who succeed in the world of dance devote their lives to it. They have to hunger for it and push their bodies to the breaking point every day, mastering technique, learning nuance and driving themselves to excel. They need both the natural talent and the determination to develop.

There is are several ballet dancers that I've been following for several years that I first saw in a documentary about young dancers competing in the Youth America Grand Prix. One was a teenage girl originally born in Sierra Leone and lost her entire family in the civil war before being adopted and brought to the US. The other was an 11 year old kid who's father managed his military career over where he was based so he son could get the best dance training (even taking a tour of duty in Iraq because it allowed for a better family deployment). There was a teenager from Columbia who left his family in order to come to NY for training. These kids absolutely lived for dance and had to sacrifice a lot in order to achieve their goals. Now the girl is a soloist with the Royal Dutch Ballet and the boy just was named soloist for the American Ballet Theater in NYC.

Whitney is a poseur. She dabbled at dance, thinking that a few classes here and there qualifies her as this great professional. Would she ever try to work through an injury in order to perform? What would she give up? She wants all the notice and praise while doing nearly nothing to earn it.

Exactly. Imagine a professional athlete.... Ben Roethlisberger, for example. He's blessed with natural ability, but I guarantee that he's out on the practice field, throwing passes, evading tackles. He plays through injuries until he no longer can. 

• Love 4

I think this question of how Whitney got into the dance classes she attended in high school is a little more complicated than one would think. But then, again, this is Whitney reporting, and she has been seen to exaggerate/fabricate her experiences more than once. Here's a relevant example: Whitney says she was accepted into the Weaver Center which she describes as "a special performing arts school in my town that offered advanced dance and theatre classes that public school students could take within their regular school day."  So she auditioned, screwed up the audition, but got into her mentor's class anyway, which she describes as being the "Honors Advanced Dance Class."

I admit I haven't done a lot of research, but just a quick round with Google turns up nothing called the Weaver Center that offers or offered part time dance classes to high school students.  There is a North Carolina Public Magnet School called the Weaver Academy of Performing and Visual Arts. It offers, among other programs, a full time high school curriculum, including Advanced Placement Classes in pre-college courses,  plus advanced training in dance. No mention of part time attendance. Oh, and it didn't open until 2003, when Whitney was 19. And it is one of two performing arts magnet schools in North Carolina and I don't think she lived in one of the counties that Weaver drew from, but would have had to apply to the other  school.

My  guess is that Whitney was one of a few girls who auditioned to dance for the high school production of Jesus Christ Superstar. (And money may have played a role here, because as the play was likely an extra-curricular activity of the public school, I expect parents would have been shelling out for costumes and activity fees, as is still the case today - assuming the theatre arts program hasn't been dropped completely.) The dance director was probably happy to have her, and mentored her as she attended the choreography classes (generally these would be called "rehearsals" but Whitney doesn't seem to use that word).  Then Whitney "auditioned" for "Weaver Center" [sic] and, while she didn't do a good job at the audition, her mentor (who apparently was the entire selection committee) accepted her and placed her in the Honors Advanced class, which her mentor, coincidentally, taught.

I'll stop here, with one comment and two pieces of information. The comment is that the teacher who took her on for regular technical classes was Leslie, the director of the Greensboro Dance Theatre, a private enterprise, and that studio was where Whitney took her classes. The first piece of information is that the current, actual Weaver Academy lists all its dance courses as "Honors" classes. The second is a description of what the current, actual Weaver Academy lists as necessary preparation to audition for admission as a dance student:

Dance students must:

Be prepared to participate in a 90-minute group technique class in both ballet and contemporary dance technique. Be prepared to pose in first arabesque and tendu à la seconde.

Be prepared to perform a self-choreographed solo, 2-3 minutes in length.I t is highly recommended the solo be in the ballet or contemporary genre, but not required. Please bring your music on a CD or an iPod that can be connected to the sound system with a headphone jack.

Audition Attire: Females: Solid color leotard, convertible tights, pink ballet shoes and water bottle. Males: Black tights/dance pants, white t-shirt,black or white ballet shoes and water bottle. All: NO warmers, shorts, t-shirts or skirts will be allowed during the audition classes. Dancers will dance barefoot during contemporary technique.

A personal interview will be conducted at the time of audition.The individual interview will include the solo performance, discussion of the solo, questions to assess the applicant’s basic knowledge of dance and potential to be successful in the dance program.

Edited by Ketzel
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

Brace yourselves everyone... the PCOS con starts tomorrow. Prepare for her IG to be full of photos of how amazing it is to have a whole weekend devoted to her reason for fat.

🤮

• Love 1
On 9/19/2019 at 4:00 PM, Colleenna said:

Exactly. Imagine a professional athlete.... Ben Roethlisberger, for example. He's blessed with natural ability, but I guarantee that he's out on the practice field, throwing passes, evading tackles. He plays through injuries until he no longer can. 

Shit even us rank amateurs often do that. Whitney's social media shows us that she's not even a hobbyist. She is at best a tourist.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Dot said:

The batwings are really obvious in this photo. I hope Twit is putting aside a lot of the TLC dollars she's gonna need for the post-MBFFL skin surgery.

So do you think the bat wings are becoming more prominent because she’s losing weight? If it’s loose skin from weight loss she can have surgery but if it’s fat she wouldn’t be able to. At least that’s what it seems like from what I see on 600 lb life. 

• Love 1
On 9/19/2019 at 8:10 PM, 3girlsforus said:

Brace yourselves everyone... the PCOS con starts tomorrow. Prepare for her IG to be full of photos of how amazing it is to have a whole weekend devoted to her reason for fat.

Gawd, here we go. I can’t wait.

Never mind the fact that she stopped purging in college so she could keep her birth control down. That had NOTHING to do with her weight gain, it was all PCOS! 

I feel like going to one of these conferences to show people you CAN. PCOS doesn’t mean you’re automatically  destined to be fat. You just can’t eat what you want, when you want and you have to work harder than the average person. 

And that’s the part Whit doesn’t like! It’s not fair, dammit! 

• Love 2

I don’t know how or if it’s even possible to link something from FB but if you go to the PCOS Awareness Association FB page and scroll down just a little you will see a video of Whitney’s “workout dance class”. She’s been relegated to the backup dancer while a man with talent is leading the group. She’s the only one who is basically naked (it’s indoors) and interestingly while there are obese people there, there are also many average weight women which kinds of blows Whit’s theory that PCOS = obese out of the water (like we didn’t already know that).

Edited by 3girlsforus
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
41 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

I don’t know how or if it’s even possible to link something from FB but if you go to the PCOS Awareness Association FB page and scroll down just a little you will see a video of Whitney’s “workout dance class”. She’s been relegated to the backup dancer while a man with talent is leading the group. She’s the only one who is basically naked (it’s indoors) and interestingly while there are obese people there, there are also many average weight women which kinds of blows Whit’s theory that PCOS = obese out of the water (like we didn’t already know that).

Oh dear. It's obvious to anyone who has attended any dance classes, that Whitney has been placed behind and to the left of the teacher leading the class in order to demonstrate modifications for those students who need assistance with the parts of the choreography that they couldn't manage as taught. But hey, she's Whitney the Fabulous Dancer, so for the first part of the video, she is doing her damnedest to keep up with the leader. So what if some of the students who are slower or heavier can't keep up? I laughed when she actually did  the three-step-turn the teacher led. She was somewhat off the beat, but at least she did it. Wasn't that one of the moves she had always resisted in her own BGDC, because "turns were too haaaaard for her students? (Or, actually, for Whitney?)

However, as she tired (around her usual 30 second mark?) she did start doing modifications, albeit involuntarily.  I wonder if, by that time, those in the class who had no doubt been directed to look to her for modifications if the leader's moves were too hard for them, had just given up and were doing the best they could on their own.

• Love 3

A comment on instagram from one of the speakers on a PCOS Con panel.  The panel seems to have been about parenting with PCOS, so I don't think it's the one Whitney is pictured on below, but it's the only picture of her there I could find at the moment. The comment is followed by an instagram response - -I wonder how Whitney reacted to these types of criticisms/warnings.

"It is so important to remind people their health is their responsibility. Yes PCOS can and does cause weight gain. That weight gain is due to the long term heightened aldosterone. Over long periods of time this heightened male hormone in women causes insulin resistance. There is a difference from weight gain with PCOS and weight gain from being over indulgent on a consistent bases. Yes PCOS will make it worse but once again there is a difference. PCOS should never be an excuse. I have been diagnosed over 20 years. You HAVE to be diligent in your self care and medical care. Sorry for soap boxing but from what I've been seeing lately PCOS seems like more of an excuse than the very serious diagnosis that it is. 💙"

"I definitely see a need for more of us to take responsibility for the way we treat our bodies. I’ve been there before where I blamed my eating habits on Pcos, I thought Pcos was “controlling” my binges, overeating, and eating disorders. That was a lie. A deception. Holding this illusion as truth keeps us in a stagnant state and does not contribute to our healing. It’s best we let go of limiting thoughts and stop bs’ing ourselves. 💜😘"

image.thumb.png.611afe7d35d0b4b729c2d46aea635c86.png

I find "real time" photos of Whitney very revealing - here she sure doesn't look like she's lost any real weight recently. But of course that's never been her goal . . .

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

I couldn't find this video & would really like to see it. Can you give me more precise directions? Or can someone provide a link?

31 minutes ago, Ketzel said:

https://www.facebook.com/PCOSAwarenessAssociation/videos/369219920691025/

This link might work. Right click on it, then click on "open in a new window."   It looks like the whole video is going to show sideways, but it turns in a few seconds.

It's abundantly clear from that video that Twit has not lost a single pound. She's still got a horrible case of boobie-do. She's also terribly uncoordinated for a dancer. 

Put on some clothes, you fecking slut. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Ketzel said:

https://www.facebook.com/PCOSAwarenessAssociation/videos/369219920691025/

This link might work. Right click on it, then click on "open in a new window."   It looks like the whole video is going to show sideways, but it turns in a few seconds.

It did work, even with a tablet. Thanks, @Ketzel. And thanks, too, @3girlsforus, for trying.

It's remarkable to watch Twit when she's up against someone so much fitter & more adept than she. I've got to wonder what our narcissist thought when she arrived at the con & found out that she was second banana.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Dot said:

It did work, even with a tablet. Thanks, @Ketzel. And thanks, too, @3girlsforus, for trying.

It's remarkable to watch Twit when she's up against someone so much fitter & more adept than she. I've got to wonder what our narcissist thought when she arrived at the con & found out that she was second banana.

Need you even ask, Dot? Look at the guy who's leading the class! He's incredibly fit, appropriately clothed for the event, his weight is proportional to his height, he has energy to burn and he is teaching an interesting, although relatively easy, piece of choreography. Obviously, she was being body shamed by being asked to demonstrate modifications for his class.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Dot said:

I’ll be curious to see if Whit posts this video of the dance. If she does, I’ll be curious to see how she spins who the guy who is actually dancing is and why she’s just in the background.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
36 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

I’ll be curious to see if Whit posts this video of the dance. If she does, I’ll be curious to see how she spins who the guy who is actually dancing is and why she’s just in the background.

There's sure nothing on her IG page at the moment. And when she goes on one of these junkets, she usually posts tons of photos & videos. I'm thinking this may not have been a fabulous experience for her. I suspect many of the participants don't even know who she is, much less spending any time fawning over her.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
32 minutes ago, Dot said:

There's sure nothing on her IG page at the moment. And when she goes on one of these junkets, she usually posts tons of photos & videos. I'm thinking this may not have been a fabulous experience for her. I suspect many of the participants don't even know who she is, much less spending any time fawning over her.

Well, the instagram account for the conference had a story up that I think must have expired by now. It was a series of "scenes" from the PCOSAA Conference. Among the scenes was one of 3 pre-teen girls giggling madly together in a doorway while Whitney stood in the room just beyond them. Whoever was narrating the story said something to the effect of how excited they were to see the TLC star in person!  So I'm guessing she got at least some of the fawning she enjoys so much. But, judging from the pictures, it would seem as if the conference was not so well attended - I'd estimate no more than fifty people, and I think I'm being generous. And a good percentage of the people shown did not appear to have excessive weight gain as one of their issues - the comments about loving your body as it is, seemed to be directed  more towards women struggling with infertility as a result of PCOS,  not morbid obesity. So it's possible that Whitney wasn't feeling so much a part of the crowd  and significant voice as she had expected.

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 4

When I went to the PCOS Con FB page, I was surprised to see that the McLean, VA, event was only one among many this weekend all across the country. I wonder if Twit realized there would not be a big draw from the whole USA. I just continue to get the vibe that this event was not all Twit thought it would be.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Dot said:

When I went to the PCOS Con FB page, I was surprised to see that the McLean, VA, event was only one among many this weekend all across the country. I wonder if Twit realized there would not be a big draw from the whole USA. I just continue to get the vibe that this event was not all Twit thought it would be.

I tend to agree. If Whit was having the ‘Whit worship’ experience she expects at these kinds of things we’d be hearing about it on her IG. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 9/21/2019 at 9:55 AM, 3girlsforus said:

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!  Yassss! It gave me great joy to watch our fabulous Whitney struggle to keep up with anything that wasn’t wiggling!! She even stops at one point, confused, and then joins back in. She probably got to rehearse it and still could not keep up or follow along. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!  Yassss! It gave me great joy to watch our fabulous Whitney struggle to keep up with anything that wasn’t wiggling!! She even stops at one point, confused, and then joins back in. She probably got to rehearse it and still could not keep up or follow along. 

The bolded is my favorite part of the video, especially because you can see that most of the people in the crowd are having no trouble following the instructions or keeping up. But Whit, the dancing genius, can’t keep up or figure out what to do even with rehearsal. 

Edited by 3girlsforus
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

Found this link on the PCOSAA Conference website.  There is no possible way she could last through a 45 minute class.  She probably required that these nice people mention her "dance career" in the blurb.  

I can easily see why this could be a low-attendance event simply based on the location.  McLean is an incredibly nice (and insanely expensive) area to even visit.  It's 20 minutes outside of DC for starters.  There are two huge shopping centers, one of them being all high-end retailers with a hotel attached.  And, it's where Capital One is headquartered.  (Total wife brag here, but my husband is a professional engineer, and he's on the CO job, so he's down there a lot).  Their Targets look like Saks New York!  I can see people who may have wanted to attend simply not able to due to the cost of staying.

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, sixlets said:

Found this link on the PCOSAA Conference website.  There is no possible way she could last through a 45 minute class.  She probably required that these nice people mention her "dance career" in the blurb.  

I can easily see why this could be a low-attendance event simply based on the location.  McLean is an incredibly nice (and insanely expensive) area to even visit.  It's 20 minutes outside of DC for starters.  There are two huge shopping centers, one of them being all high-end retailers with a hotel attached.  And, it's where Capital One is headquartered.  (Total wife brag here, but my husband is a professional engineer, and he's on the CO job, so he's down there a lot).  Their Targets look like Saks New York!  I can see people who may have wanted to attend simply not able to due to the cost of staying.

I was wondering the same thing. I live about 3 miles from this hotel and definitely can’t afford to stay there. Of course I can barely afford to live here LOL. The hotel is very upscale and attached to the metro and a large mall so that ups the price even more. 

Edited by 3girlsforus
Clarity
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, 3girlsforus said:

I was wondering the same thing. I live about 3 miles from this hotel and definitely can’t afford to stay there. Of course I can barely afford to live here LOL. The hotel is very upscale and attached to the metro and a large mall so that ups the price even more. 

They may have negotiated a conference room rate. Hotels will often do that for conferences of a certain size because they make a good profit on food and beverage...

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

They may have negotiated a conference room rate. Hotels will often do that for conferences of a certain size because they make a good profit on food and beverage...

Yea I’m sure they did but it’s still a very pricey hotel even for the immediate area. Granted, the Ritz is across the street so it could have been worse. But if they wanted more “regular people” to attend there are more reasonably priced choices even within a mile or so. It’s just hard to figure out exactly what the convention was even supposed to be. The website says it qualifies as continuing education  for medical professionals, so even a higher price might attract medical people needed continuing education and interested in PCOS information. But then they have Twit on a panel, which is the opposite of education unless the topic is ‘ridiculous things people believe about PCOS’. So I just don’t get it.

Edited by 3girlsforus
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

The bolded is my favorite part of the video, especially because you can see that most of the people in the crowd are having no trouble following the instructions or keeping up. But Whit, the dancing genius, can’t keep up or figure out what to do even with rehearsal. 

She is always off a beat or two in her steps.

• Love 3
54 minutes ago, Nicmar said:

She is always off a beat or two in her steps.

Not to give Twit an excuse, but wouldn't this be true of any dancer/exerciser trying to duplicate the steps another dancer is performing? This is a frequent comment about Twit, so I am genuinely interested in an answer from someone with a dancer's exerience.

45 minutes ago, Dot said:

Not to give Twit an excuse, but wouldn't this be true of any dancer/exerciser trying to duplicate the steps another dancer is performing? This is a frequent comment about Twit, so I am genuinely interested in an answer from someone with a dancer's exerience.

It is true that, in partnered dancing, the lead moves on the beat and the follow is a heartbeat behind. I mean that almost literally -  when done correctly,  the lead is coming from the chest of the leader, not the foot, and the result is that the partners step almost simultaneously. I

In a choreographed class, such as the one Whitney "assisted" this weekend,  where the dancers are not dancing with each other, the norm is for both people to know the steps they are going to do and to move together on the beat. Whitney should be aware of this because that's what the Fitness Marshall and his backup booties do very well, so she's had at least some training in that. Now, in order to have the class keep up to the beat in these circumstances, the leader uses music where the beat is very obvious, and also shouts cues one or two beats ahead of a move. 

I don't think I've ever seen Whitney cue her class when teaching BGDC, although that doesn't  mean she's never done it. But it takes work to learn how to time a cue so that the class can do the next step correctly, while the lead is continuing to perform the current step the class is doing.  IOW, the leader is going to the right for three of four counts, but has to shout "Now to the left!" at the just right moment for the class to take the fourth step, change weight and move to the left on the beat. The guy leading Whitney's class is doing this, and she is attempting to follow him, rather than being able to demonstrate  on the beat for the benefit of the class.

Edited by Ketzel
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3

Thank you, @Ketzel, for that explanation. Watching the video again, it's pretty easy to see that Twit did not deign to rehearse with the exercise leader. Also, it appears that the video shows the routine is repeated 3 times: (1) ending as video starts, (2), then (3) after a brief pause. Twit doesn't appear to improve at all over the 3 repetitions.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2