Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E19: What's Inside

• Start Topic

33 minutes ago, marceline said:

Instead of having him continue to marry women then berate them to have his baby why not have him pursue fatherhood in a straight forward way?

I don't think we've seen this with Amelia.  It seems they were in agreement that they wanted kids, got married, and then suddenly she changed her mind after thinking she was pregnant. Now, she basically avoids him.  She's ridiculous, and nothing on the show would please me more* than her death being the season finale big event.

*Unless it is possible for her to to Minnick, Arizona, and Maggie with her as well.

14 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Is it totally wrong that I wanted Owen's friend's baby to die just to punish Maggie for stealing a surgery away from the person who'd actually prepared for it?  Okay, I didn't really want that, but I did want to punch Maggie in the face.  This was like when Mere came back from maternity leave and wanted to do the surgery with Cristina which Bailey had prepped for; fortunately Cristina came to her senses and realized the person who was prepared for the surgery was the one who deserved to be involved.  I really wanted Arizona to refuse to let Maggie do this one for that very reason, not all this "her mom died and she's not ready" crap.

I remembered this too, and apparently Cristina was the last rationale adult in that hospital. I couldn't believe no one objected to this beyond, "well we think you're still sad about your mom"... how about "no Maggie, you are not going to use this little in utero baby to get your feet wet, you're thinking of YOU and not your patient and it's selfish and unprofessional". But no, these writers not only had every character fumble about this but went as far as to have the actual patient go along with it and choose Maggie after Maggie's sad explanation of events. Like no, I'd want the guy whose been with us from day one studying our charts and progress. Not a maverick who wants to prove something. 

And then Maggie being all put out that people aren't just gonna smile and clap their hands for her as she does this. 

• Love 10

Seriously exhausted by the Maggie show. I get the writers love her but it'd be great if they could share the love and give other characters some screentime and development. I've never felt a character so shoved down my throat.

So much word. Can we be done with the Maggie show for awhile? I'm sure she has some fans out there, but let's give her a break for awhile and focus on someone else. The bit where she got all choked up over the baby's heart losing something big and needing to learn how to function without it was about as subtle as a piano falling on my head, so the writing isn't doing her any favors either. 

At this point I have to believe that Meredith is just looking for excuses to avoid dating Riggs. I mean he's right - there is always going to be someone who "needs" her and Maggie is always going to have those moments where she breaks down and cries. Why is it Meredith's job to sit there and hold Maggie's hand? Why is it Amelia's job? They're acting like they've known her all their lives, and they haven't. What's the situation with Maggie's (adoptive) father? Why doesn't she call him when she's feeling blue about her mother's death?

Imagine if Riggs had turned back and glanced through the window only to see the three of them dancing like maniacs. Yeah, Maggie sure looks grief stricken doesn't she? I know they are trying to re-create the dynamic that Meredith had with Cristina, but it ain't working. 

• Love 11
(edited)

If Jackson and Maggie does happen, Jackson definitely has a type. Lexie , April, Maggie are all the neurotic type. Stephanie also started out that way. Hmmmm. As for Jackson/Maggie. Maybe if there was more build up but instead I'm wondering where did this relationship come from. I'm not down for another triangle. If this is happening put Japril to bed. Have April move out and on. I don't want to see any pining. 

Speaking of, I thought April was great this ep. Really funny and competent. More of this confident in charge April. This version of her would make a great chief of general.  But then again I usually really like her outside of her relationship. They usually make her the bad guy in those conflicts. 

How many times is Arizona going to get in an elevator and declare herself friends with someone? l guess they needed someone for Riggs to talk to. Remember when he was friend with April and kind of Owen. Also her sprouting the virtues of Derek and merder. No thanks. And out of character right? I always felt like Arizona didn't like Derek that much.

I don't hate Maggie but defiitely oversaturated. I get it she's sad. I did end up loving her mom though which is amazing considering she was only there for three episodes. I could tolerate this story line much better when she was involved. She can go grieve in the background.

I honestly didn't even remember seeing Alex. 

Seriously poor Owen. Also poor Caterina for this story line.  Grey's always ruins one half of a pairing to provide conflict. Guess it's Amelia's turn.

Edited by tua20782
typo
  • Love 2

I honestly don't mind a Jackson/Maggie pairing though I really don't think it's going that way. I'm done with Japril for a while and I think April is likeable away from him. I think they'll eventually come back t each other but I wouldn't mind another season of friendship before that happens.

Basically I just have no interest in watching them reunite just to start fighting again after a few episodes. And they will  because it's be too stagnant to leave them happy and also because it's Japril and they're always fighting when it comes to the relationship. 

• Love 3

Well I am obviously on a different page than most people here. This was the first episode in a long while I somewhat enjoyed. Well minus all the Maggie everywhere. That I can agree with--- too much Maggie all the damn time. The character leaves me cold.

Anyway-- I liked the Mere and Riggs interaction. It made me smile-- I thought they were cute. And as someone who lost their husband suddenly -- I had people like Arizona tell some potential new guy that-- oh she lost the love of her life -- and oh what a great guy -- oh they had an amazing love story-- let me tell you-- that scares away a LOT of men! The look on Riggs face was priceless. haha!

I didn't mind the dance party though I did feel the loss of my Cristina. Sad face. The twisted sisters. The true soul mates of grey's.... (I get nostalgic)

Alex sighting!

If I were that pregnant patient, I would've said, "Nope, sorry - my body, I get to decide that I want Riggs to do the surgery." I get that the patient was impressed with Maggie's credentials and confidence, but so what? She was clearly fine with Riggs doing the procedure before Maggie appeared in her room. He's not exactly a two-bit, inexperienced know-nothing. No...it's bad enough that the surgery became an emergency situation, now you want to switch to a doctor you've never met, who by her own admission is having personal issues, and in whom the doctors you've been trusting all along so far are showing little faith and confidence? That struck me as very weird. I'd have also said, "Riggs is doing the surgery, period. Dr. Pierce, you wanna be there to support him, fine, but I don't know you, so...no."

Agree with everyone who's said that Riggs needs to move the f*ck on. I actually like him. He seems to be a relatively decent fellow who's been supportive to those who've needed it, is a seemingly competent physician, and sure, he has his share of baggage, but compared to some of the other nutjobs he works with, he's the salt of the earth! I also find him moderately attractive, which is of course subjective and has nothing to do with anything, just throwing that into the mix. Thus, because I don't have any particular issue with his character, it irks me to see him pining for and trying so very hard to impress and woo a person who really doesn't give much of a crap about him. Meredith throws him little table scraps from on high...and sadly, he snaps them up like a starving dog. They could  be a decent couple...they are both intelligent and good at what they do...and even with all of HER baggage, Riggs still finds something compelling about Meredith...but she really is awful to him so much of the time. The way she spoke to him when he came to pick her up was really wretched - my god - her people skills at that moment made Maggie seem like a social prodigy. It's a two-way street, though. If Riggs keeps coming back for more, well, then he'll get what he deserves and will deserve what he gets.

The dancing was downright embarrassing.

I gotta give Bailey credit for one thing - as she did when Meredith was home "on strike," she truly wanted to sit face to face with Richard and talk through their issues. Sure, she set forth her "conditions," partially in jest, partially serious - but at least she was attempting to use her words, like an actual grown up. I know Bailey's character has undergone a transformation over the years, and much of the criticism thrown her way is justified. But I have to acknowledge that she did seem to swallow a bit of her pride - a little - and seemed to truly want to get her relationship (personal and professional) with Richard back to a good place. That isn't easy but it's usually worth it.

• Love 8

I found this whole episode a bit boring. I'm tired of Maggie being Shonda's new "Princess". I'm tired of Amelia, altogether -but she's particularly annoying when she's torturing Owen. 

I'm OK with both Riggs and Mer, I just don't like any part of the story line that brought them together for one night in a car -and now Riggs can't live without her. She's been rude to him, but she's just not that into him (as she frequently reminds him). Getting with him isn't a big priority in her life.  (And it shouldn't be. Mer has 3 kids, a half-sister who just lost her mom, and a very demanding professional life. Besides, I think Riggs' obsession with her is kind of stalker-like.)

• Love 6

I think I could get in on board with Riggs/Mer if he'd grow a pair and just tell her to fuck off with the attitude and that when she's ready to act like an adult he'll be happy to take her out. There has to be some push and pull. Otherwise it's just boring and there's no spark. 

Meredith being a bitch to him doesn't equal spark writers.

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

I think I could get in on board with Riggs/Mer if he'd grow a pair and just tell her to fuck off with the attitude and that when she's ready to act like an adult he'll be happy to take her out. There has to be some push and pull. Otherwise it's just boring and there's no spark. 

Meredith being a bitch to him doesn't equal spark writers.

I don't get what the appeal is for Riggs. Mer has been nothing but rude and uninterested since they've met and especially since they've slept together. And now she's just being hot and cold with him. I think there was a better way to say she feels she needs to be there for Maggie in that moment besides telling him he was not a priority for her. Which is fine to say and feel, if this wasn't a guy she was considering dating. If I was him, to know that I'm such an after thought, I'd peace out. What if he had said that to mer? Everyone would be "all HELL NO!"

This is not a push and pull. This isn't flirty arguing. This isn't appealing. They need to figure out a different angle for them.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, Laurie4H said:

Again with a reference to Meredith being hot.  I don't get it.  Should I?

I find it so annoying how Meredith was rude to Riggs and slammed the door on him.....in reality (or at least the reality I've experienced) adults don't act that way and a woman who likes man goes on a date with him not play the game of "it's not a date!"  

In regards to the hot thing. 

I just rewatched old school the other day which Ellen is in. Man, she positively glows on screen. Her smile is so amazing. But, it's like the show is trying to tell the audience that Ellen is still ray of sunshine that lights up the room. Instead she always look tired and dour. She also is downright shitty to anyone that isn't her people. I'm so tired of that bullshit by the way.

Her new group of people suck and it's just super childish now. You can support family and still be decent to others around you.

• Love 11
12 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

Her new group of people suck and it's just super childish now. 

Exactly I'm sick of watching her ignore or either disregard characters I like and then watch her interactions with characters i can't stand (the sister coven) get shoved down our throat. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

In reference to the shit way Meredith treated Riggs and also how Amelia is treating Owen, I say: DATE OUTSIDE THE HOSPITAL!!

Or at the very least-date people who aren't surgeons. There are other kinds doctors in the hospital, as well as lot of other people there. I've been watching ER on POP channel and it's so nice to see doctors, nurses, orderlies, etc.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Crazy Bird Lady said:

I'm OK with both Riggs and Mer, I just don't like any part of the story line that brought them together for one night in a car -and now Riggs can't live without her. 

I'm telling ya-- Mere is one hot mama in bed! She does things that blow a man's mind. And afterward... they can't get her off their minds cuz it's the best sex they have ever had. Derek fell under the spell of her charm after a one night stand. Now Riggs. yup. Mere working those "special" muscles. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

• Love 4
6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

So much word. Can we be done with the Maggie show for awhile? I'm sure she has some fans out there, but let's give her a break for awhile and focus on someone else. The bit where she got all choked up over the baby's heart losing something big and needing to learn how to function without it was about as subtle as a piano falling on my head, so the writing isn't doing her any favors either. 

And I thought to myself, she's comparing her mother to a tumor?

• Love 2
(edited)

Amelia and Owen: I keep thinking of the last episode of last season, where the voiceover states that love has bounds, and Meredith tells Alex that the marriage of Amelia and Owen is doomed.  I wonder if that was the prophecy for them for season (for everyone, really.  It seems that all the bounds of love and friendship were tested this season.)  Regarding Owen, I agree with what others say about the non-traditional parenting route.  A former boss of mine (male, single) did this; so it does happen in real life.  Also regarding Owen, I always have difficulty warming up to "accessory characters" (characters brought in specifically to fill a role for another character).  He was brought in for Christina.  It wasn't until his relationships with others were showcased that I even began to start liking him.  His friendships with April and Riggs for example.  

This is why I never warmed up to the Stephanie and Jo intern class characters.  At least when Riggs was brought in for Meredith, they also had a background with Owen and April to make him seem a little more rounded out and interesting.  

Stephanie and Cross:  I LOLed at all his lines.  I wonder if her exposure to his illness sets the stage for her departure to some extent.  Also, I'm glad the newer characters (DeLuca and Cross) are more bit players because the cast is already so large.

The Civil War ceasing:  That episode ended with the voiceover stating, "When is it time to just quit all of this nonsense and simply surrender?"  I think that was mostly the end of it.  There may be a few more anticlimactic tying of loose ends, but, for the most part, I think it's over.  "Not with a bang,  but a whimper."

Jackson and Maggie, Riggs and Arizona:  I think they are just trying to tighten the relationships on this show.  

Spoiler

Foreshadowing???: The story of Owen's friends - she pulled him out of a burning building, then they got married, then they got pregnant.  There are supposedly fire trucks in the finale....

Edited by Scatterbrained
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, Scatterbrained said:

Jackson and Maggie, Riggs and Arizona:  I think they are just trying to tighten the relationships on this show.  

Issue is it's only tightening everyone to Maggie. They don't try this with any other character. They've never bothered with Jo or Ben and the only reasoned they half tried with Stephanie was because she was the only one without a love interest.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Chas411 said:

Was Jo in the episode at all? 

The cast bloat is tiring I hope they're not going to replace Stephanie with 10 more people including Minnick.

Were was Dr. Murphy? Or April? You're right the cast is oversized. Some member I don't care to see anymore: RICHARD  - time to retire, Richards wife - sick of her, Maggie - if they don't give her a good story,  Baileys husband - terrible actor, Owen and Amelia - the worst newly married couple I've ever seen, can't follow their SL I don't even know why they are fighting. This season has not been good, it's just blah yet I continue to watch every week hoping for a good episode. Shonda please bring back Callie and Christina!

• Love 1

I'm really lost on Amelia. Nothing Owen has asked for us unreasonable and she's acting like they are in the process of a divorce. Which I think would be great since these two had no business getting married in the first place. 

Amelia has to realize, while wailing "aren't I enough?" That she changed the rules on him. She wants to put it on Owen making him out to be this misogynistic a-hole trying to force her to be barefoot and pregnant and that is just not what happened here. 

Amelia's constant state of "victim" is exhausting.

• Love 11
12 minutes ago, moonorchid said:

I'm really lost on Amelia. Nothing Owen has asked for us unreasonable and she's acting like they are in the process of a divorce. Which I think would be great since these two had no business getting married in the first place. 

Amelia has to realize, while wailing "aren't I enough?" That she changed the rules on him. She wants to put it on Owen making him out to be this misogynistic a-hole trying to force her to be barefoot and pregnant and that is just not what happened here. 

Several rounds of applause. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Catznip said:

Baileys husband - terrible actor

COMICALLY bad. Imagine being poor Chandra Wilson stuck with him as an acting partner. She has to be suppressing laughter and frustration 90% of the time. 

1 hour ago, moonorchid said:

I'm really lost on Amelia. 

I'm really lost on Amelia & Owen's marriage timeline. 

(edited)

I thought the pregnant couple were gonna die somehow and Owen would end up with the baby. Solves so many problems! Not for the couple, obviously.

Ben isn't the greatest actor but Chandra Wilson could take on KMK and Debbie Allen for biggest scenery chewer on the show. She's either very good or very bad, there's no in-between.

It seems they are setting up something between Maggie and Jackson, I guess the end scene was him taking over responsibilty for her or something so Mer can now go get it on with Riggs with no guilt. Jackson's participation in this storyline has been so contrived that it surely must end up in the bedroom. The voiceover was ominous.

Edited by flickers
  • Love 2
On 4/6/2017 at 9:06 PM, Starscream said:

They are really setting the stage for Jackson and Maggie. Ugh.

I doubt they would have emphasized their sorta-halfway-familial relationship if that were actually the case.

I agree. They made the point of having Jackson say he and Maggie are "like family," which was why Diane gave the pictures to him.

(edited)

I would be totally squicked out if they put Jackson and Maggie together, even though there is no reason why I should be. They're not siblings, and barely even step-siblings. Webber is her birth father, but he's not her "dad" and she barely thinks of him that way and so wouldn't necessarily think about his family like her family. And are she and Jackson even step-siblings at all in the official legal sense if Webber isn't even her legal father? Eh, my head hurts. But whatever, no real family connection there. They are, at best, "like family." They are "like" step-siblings. But once you know something, well, you can't unknow it. And the knowledge that they are technically step-siblings would make it all squicky. I do hope that that's not where they were going with any of this. I like to think it was just to emphasize the fact that Jackson and Maggie are "like" step-siblings, like family, only because the show really hadn't really acknowledged that semi-connection before now. Just to show that they are in fact all one big family with so many connections to each other, which was important for Maggie to realize after losing her mother. She's got a lot of family here.

Edited by Chicken Wing
  • Love 3

Derek was many things but he was also often arrogant, stubborn and sometimes a jerk. 

I guess he rubbed off on Meredith.

I was wondering...once Meredith's kids get older and the writers have exhausted all of their already-tired ideas, won't it be time for a gravely ill child?

The core characters (the sisters and their love interests) are the most boring parts of the show. I'd rather watch the friendships between the satellite characters. Arizona and anyone. Richard and Bailey. April and anyone. Ben and anyone. 

Richard walks like a guy who was just handed a pair of stilettos and told to walk in them. Or a guy who was pulled over by the police and instructed to walk a straight line. Walking looks like a balancing act for him.

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, mojito said:

I guess he rubbed off on Meredith.

I was wondering...once Meredith's kids get older and the writers have exhausted all of their already-tired ideas, won't it be time for a gravely ill child?

The core characters (the sisters and their love interests) are the most boring parts of the show. I'd rather watch the friendships between the satellite characters. Arizona and anyone. Richard and Bailey. April and anyone. Ben and anyone. 

Richard walks like a guy who was just handed a pair of stilettos and told to walk in them. Or a guy who was pulled over by the police and instructed to walk a straight line. Walking looks like a balancing act for him.

I've always love what I call Richards old man bop. Cracks me up but it almost makes sense. I feel like if I spent that many years primarily on feet I would be walking around like I'm on hot coals too.

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, Catznip said:

Were was Dr. Murphy? Or April? You're right the cast is oversized. 

The cast is so oversized that it took me a good minute to remember who Dr. Murphy is.

• Love 5
On ‎2017‎-‎04‎-‎07 at 3:34 PM, Crazy Bird Lady said:

I found this whole episode a bit boring. I'm tired of Maggie being Shonda's new "Princess". I'm tired of Amelia, altogether -but she's particularly annoying when she's torturing Owen. 

I'm OK with both Riggs and Mer, I just don't like any part of the story line that brought them together for one night in a car -and now Riggs can't live without her. She's been rude to him, but she's just not that into him (as she frequently reminds him). Getting with him isn't a big priority in her life.  (And it shouldn't be. Mer has 3 kids, a half-sister who just lost her mom, and a very demanding professional life. Besides, I think Riggs' obsession with her is kind of stalker-like.)

My theory:  they are building up the "tension" so that when Meredith is finally ready for a relationship with Riggs, his dead fiancé (who was referenced in this episode) will suddenly come back from the dead.

• Love 3

I think after 13 seasons, the show is tired.  Nobody every grows up (I am so over Bailey and Richard squabbling) and Meredith in the same spot she has been since she was an intern is no longer attractive.  They either need to have her grow up  and handle things differently or centre the show around another Grey.  Is Zara too young still?

On 2017-04-07 at 11:27 AM, iMonrey said:

At this point I have to believe that Meredith is just looking for excuses to avoid dating Riggs. I mean he's right - there is always going to be someone who "needs" her and Maggie is always going to have those moments where she breaks down and cries. Why is it Meredith's job to sit there and hold Maggie's hand?

I think the whole Mer/Riggs thing is ridiculous because it looks like he's into her because she's the star of the show and they need a hot alpha male to want into her bed.  But in terms of the storyline, it really does look like Meredith is just looking for excuses not to be with him. Which is ridiculous at this point because a woman in her forties should not be acting like a 14 year old.

On 2017-04-06 at 9:18 PM, funnygirl said:

The dancing-it-out has lost it's significance with this new group. Some things should be left sacred. 

I actually hated that. I know it's a portion of the show's DNA but while you can dance out a bad day or even a bad relationship, you can't dance out the loss of a parent and it was disrespectful for Meredith to essentially say "I'm tired of you grieving for your mother, let's move on already."

On 2017-04-06 at 11:31 PM, LexieLily said:

They are step-siblings by marriage, so I hope they aren't!

They're not really because Maggie is still thinking of her adoptive father as her father.  Jackson hasn't lived with his mother for years and Maggie has never lived with Richard or treated him like her father.

But right now, I'd rather see a deep, reflective affair between Jackson and Maggie then Japril take 34,242.

On 2017-04-07 at 2:03 AM, Layne said:

When Samuel died, Amelia told everyone that the best thing they could do for Japril was to give them space. I don't think she was wrong. The candlelight vigil in the chapel was nice. I don't recall anyone ever visiting April at home though (Arizona, Owen, Riggs, Catherine?) and Japril definitely didn't get anything near the warm reception Maggie got when they returned to the hospital. I really want Amelia and April to just talk and bond over their similarly tragic experiences already...

If the show actually bothered to give us moments like those, instead of the inexplicable Mer/Riggs and repeating Cristina/Owen with Owen/Amelia, I might not be feeling the show's age.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Chicken Wing said:

I like to think it was just to emphasize the fact that Jackson and Maggie are "like" step-siblings, like family, only because the show really hadn't really acknowledged that semi-connection before now. Just to show that they are in fact all one big family with so many connections to each other, which was important for Maggie to realize after losing her mother. She's got a lot of family here.

If Maggie has to be around, I'd rather she be Harriet's aunt than a potential step-mother. 

One thing that hasn't come up in the is a Maggie/Jackson paring off limits or perfectly fine commmentary is what Jackson and other people in their universe think. People like Diane, Meredith, Richard, or Catherine. Of course, this is a soap opera. And, the surgeons at Grey Sloan can date who they want despite what their parents, stepparents, or the viewing audience thinks.

We didn't see a Maggie/Jackson "friendship" until recently. Maybe friend is the term that was used because Maggie hasn't really embraced Richard as her dad the way she has embraced Meredith and Amelia as her sisters. Not because Maggie and Jackson are unrelated friends who will become something more.

Diane's interactions with Richard, and Jackson's statement about why Diane went to him suggests that Diane might have thought of Richard and Jackson as part of Maggie's new family. Last week when talking to Richard, Jackson said "you're her dad." Considering what Jackson said to/about Robert Avery, that doesn't seem insignificant. When Richard and Catherine broke up the first time Jackson told Richard that it would have been nice to have him in the family. Jackson rode to the dinner with Richard.

I didn't see Jackson's interactions with Maggie as romantic. They seemed within the realm of interactions I might have with a male relative. Or family friend that I wouldn't date.

Also, let's say Maggie isn't even Richard's biological daughter. After all that Jackson has gone through with Meredith's other sister not being over Mark and April being April, why would he want to start a relationship with Maggie?  What about Maggie's behavior suggests that she's ready for a relationship of any sort, much less one with a single father who lives with his ex-wife?  As Jackson's co-worker and Meredith's sister, she's not really good fling material, either.

After the restraining order and running away from April's wedding, I'm no Japril fan. But, if Jackson is going to partner with a terrible, annoying woman, it may as well be his best friend, ex-wife, and mother of his child. Or better yet, Jackson could date someone like the doctor his mother sent to spy on him many seasons ago. Offscreen.

• Love 2
(edited)

Why would Maggie or Riggs do the baby's heart surgery? Wouldn't it be better for a pediatric cardio someone to do that?

They are acting up like the hospital has no other doctors than the member of the cast, and it's getting ridiculous (last week no oncologist, this week...)

And couldn't stand Stephanie and the other guy getting mad at the intern who got abdominal TB. Wtf? Stupid plot

Edited by Snow Fairy
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 4/7/2017 at 8:35 PM, moonorchid said:

For me, it's a combination of things. First of all, Amelia is the one who changed her mind about having kids. She's a human being so she's allowed to change her mind, but the point is that she and Owen had talked about having kids so it's not like he's suddenly being unreasonable.

Secondly, instead of just telling him that she thought she had gotten over the death of her baby and was ready to consider having kids in the future but that she realized recently that she was wrong and she doesn't want to have kids, she just ran away. WTF? Instead of having an honest conversation with her HUSBAND, she just disappeared and HID from him. I mean, honestly, that should tell Owen that she is emotionally about 8 years old and in no state to be a mother, but he still deserves the common courtesy of his wife saying, "I need some time to myself," instead of just leaving without a word and hiding from him. Then she made their mutual coworkers promise not to tell him where she was. Nice. Put your friends/family/coworkers in the awkward position of having to keep this information from him because you're too chickenshit to talk to your own husband, who has the audacity to want to know where his wife is.

Once she came back to work, she acted all put upon because Owen was asking her things like, "How are you?" and "Are you back at work?" How dare her spouse invade her privacy like that?

But your last sentence summarized the problem perfectly - Amelia is acting like she is the victim in all of this when she is the one who is causing all the weird awkwardness by running away, not answering her husband's texts/phone calls, and refusing to tell him what's going on with her. It's especially ironic since normally you can't get Amelia to STFU about anything.

1 hour ago, Snow Fairy said:

Why would Maggie or Riggs do the baby's heart surgery? Wouldn't it be better for a pediatric cardio someone to do that?

Ha, for the same reason that Jackson the plastic surgeon was in charge of Diane's case instead of an oncologist!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 8

I like Caterina Scorsone so I'm just going to agree that the writing for Amelia is horrible. The show wants conflict but it wants its special favorites protected so we get ridiculous storylines like Amelia and Jo's marriage.  Half the time Amelia is worried about connecting and taking care of people, and the rest she's doing things like refusing to visit the pregnant couple because they're Owen's friends. WTH?

1 hour ago, Snow Fairy said:

They are acting up like the hospital has no other doctors than the member of the cast, and it's getting ridiculous (last week no oncologist, this week...)

It's always been a problem (I remember s1 or 2 when the interns were assigned the care of premature quintuplets because apparently there were no neonatologists or even pediatricians in the hospital) but the last two episodes it's been particularly ridiculous.  I guess no one except people from out of town or cast members get cancer so there's no need for oncologists much less oncology surgeons.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I like Caterina Scorsone so I'm just going to agree that the writing for Amelia is horrible. The show wants conflict but it wants its special favorites protected so we get ridiculous storylines like Amelia and Jo's marriage.  Half the time Amelia is worried about connecting and taking care of people, and the rest she's doing things like refusing to visit the pregnant couple because they're Owen's friends. WTH?

I feel I should second this.  I'm, at best, ambivalent when it comes to Amelia.  Lately, though, she's on my last nerve.  Not only because her character is just not making sense, but the show has already gone down this road before* with Cristina (and that was far better done than this foray).  But, honestly, I can't say that I think Scorsone is a bad actress--she's hardly the worst on this show.  I think she is working with poorly written character and I don't think there is a consensus when it comes to direction about how to treat her.  There are times when I actually like Amelia--lately when it has been the 3 "sisters," for one example.  I guess this is why I'm not completely on the hate-train with her.  I think with better writing, Scorsone could make Amelia into a great character.  

*Back to this show....I realized what my main reservation about a Meredith/Riggs relationship is.  I actually *like* Riggs and I guess I could live with these two characters partnering up, but I'd rather not go there.  Whenever I see the two of them contemplating whatever it is they have between each other, I get this flashback to the last scene of season 1 and I realize that there is NOTHING original about this potential plot.

My assessment of this episode is Owen Sucks. Owen may be my least Grey's Anatomy character is equal points a jerk and a whiner simultaneously. This episode he decides based on nothing concrete that Maggie cannot perform surgery...I guess grief makes you unable as a woman to perform your actual job due to some sort of weakness...as a woman who lost my father and was back at work the next week...this is completely ridiculous. Shut up Owen!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, dmc said:

My assessment of this episode is Owen Sucks. Owen may be my least Grey's Anatomy character is equal points a jerk and a whiner simultaneously. This episode he decides based on nothing concrete that Maggie cannot perform surgery...I guess grief makes you unable as a woman to perform your actual job due to some sort of weakness...as a woman who lost my father and was back at work the next week...this is completely ridiculous. Shut up Owen!

I'm sorry but Owen was absolutely correct, if for the wrong reason.  Maggie had no business performing that surgery because she was not the one who prepared for it.  She knew nothing about it before she walked into the x-ray room, whereas Riggs had been prepping with Arizona and the patient for days.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I'm sorry but Owen was absolutely correct, if for the wrong reason.  Maggie had no business performing that surgery because she was not the one who prepared for it.  She knew nothing about it before she walked into the x-ray room, whereas Riggs had been prepping with Arizona and the patient for days.

Preparation aside, that isn't the reason he gave her her not being able to do the surgery.   He basically said because she was grieving too much that she shouldn't be allowed to do it and that's not really his call to make .   It was completely inappropriateIt was completely inappropriate

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, dmc said:

Preparation aside, that isn't the reason he gave her her not being able to do the surgery.   He basically said because she was grieving too much that she shouldn't be allowed to do it and that's not really his call to make .   It was completely inappropriateIt was completely inappropriate

That's why I said it was for the wrong reason.  Really, though, Maggie was the one in the wrong in this episode.

• Love 3
Just now, proserpina65 said:

That's why I said it was for the wrong reason.  Really, though, Maggie was the one in the wrong in this episode.

Yeah I agree, wrong reason.   Your reason  would've made more sense

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Court said:

I don't think Maggie should have been allowed to do the surgery.  She hadn't established a relationship with the patient or prepared for it at all. 

I agree with this...  Maggie is a very accomplished surgeon and I have no doubts about her ability (either surgical ability or ability to handle grief), but Riggs had been working on the case.  He was the one who knew all the ins and outs....I understand that Maggie wanted something to get her back into the game, but cardio surgeons are busy people--why did it have to be *this* case?  If I were the parents, I would have been very uncomfortable with a last minute change in surgeons, no matter how often Riggs told me it was an upgrade.

• Love 4

A little tacky of Arizona, who was married and cheated on her wife, saying that "the heart wants what the heart wants" when she suggested Nathan was into a married Miranda Bailey. I know it was in jest, but poor form nonetheless.

Was it in jest, though? Maybe that's the way Arizona feels. If so, it's not like it would be totally out of character.

Stephanie can go. I've never liked the character and have always found her really annoying. I bet they kill her off tho. You dare speak against greys as an actor and Shonda is planning your death lol.

The TB gonna get her? That can't be the last of that story, can it?

Were was Dr. Murphy?

Seriously. I was hoping she'd be in the gallery since it was such a special surgery, and Maggie is supposedly her mentor/whatever.

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 8:00 AM, Snow Fairy said:

This is nothing new. This is Grey's MO. Surgeons doing blood work-- Surgeons pushing gurneys down the hall---Surgeons doing prep before an operation ---Surgeons doing a myriad of things that surgeons would never do.  In real life surgeons are the elite of the hospital-- they don't do grunt work. But in Grey's world? No one else exists. So they do everything. Example from this very ep-- Alex doing charts/paperwork staple and all.