Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Restored

9 hours ago, Sarnia said:

Just seen the "Storybook cottage" episode (I had no idea about storybook cottages!). For once I didn't like the house, before or after, it looked so Disney but I guess that's what appealed to the owner so she definitely got what she wanted.
Were the panels on the living-room ceiling only paint? If so, that's a breathtaking job.

I wasn't a huge fan of the storybook style and it was also the first time I had heard of it.  I remember thinking to myself "ok--well that is technically a style.

But that's what I love about the show.  Even if I'm not a fan of a style (i.e. Victorian doesn't really do it for me) I still appreciate the appreciation of Brett. 

I did like what he did to make the window able to open even if it wasn't "original."  And those painted panels on the ceiling were beyond believable. I had a hard time telling that was paint. 

• Like 4

We have a friend who did faux painting on ceilings and walls. He work was amazing. He painted his bedroom to look like the inside of a circus tent. He also did decorative murals. He did a ceiling in a mansion that was worthy of the Sistine Chapel.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

But that's what I love about the show.  Even if I'm not a fan of a style (i.e. Victorian doesn't really do it for me) I still appreciate the appreciation of Brett.

Oh, I totally agree. And there are not that many design/renovation show in which you actually learn things about architecture so it's always a pleasure.
There is more emphasis on architecture history in UK/Aus renovation shows, if you can find them (those by George Clarke for instance, or the Grand Design series UK/Aus/NZ). I came across a current show called Restoration Australia that is somewhat similar to Restored, although the host (an architect) is only here for the narrative. I find it quite good and interesting.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

On 10/30/2020 at 8:56 AM, Sarnia said:

Just seen the "Storybook cottage" episode (I had no idea about storybook cottages!). For once I didn't like the house, before or after, it looked so Disney but I guess that's what appealed to the owner so she definitely got what she wanted.
Were the panels on the living-room ceiling only paint? If so, that's a breathtaking job.

I also didn't understand the massive curved curtain rod in the living room. How do you get the curtains over the middle window, as there seem to be rod holders on either side of that window that would surely prevent the curtains from sliding? But if that works, this did look a hundred times better than the previous grandmother drapes.

Same here. Those drapes would never work on a curved rod the middle would be halfway up the window.  I think the house is adorable and looks so much better after they got rid of the owners grandma looking decor. Once again no way they did all that for $50,000!!!!!

I wish Brett didn't have to hug everyone.   I get that he's a friendly guy but, as an anti-hugger (even before Covid), I cringe every time he reaches out and grabs the homeowner in a hug.  Whether they want to or not.  

But his work is beautiful and it is so nice to see someone appreciate old rather than wanting new and shiny (hello, Christina) and ripping everything out.  

• Like 2

Was so happy to see what I think was a new Restored episode last night.  Redlands has some beautiful houses, and the craftsman style house last night did not disappoint.  6,000 sf!!  The owners spent almost $140,000 on just 3 rooms of a 6 bedroom house.  Some landscaping and exterior work (just on the front) was also done.  

I liked everything they did, except for installing carpet in the family room.  I would have gone with hardwoods even though Brett said wool carpet would have been what was there originally.  This family had children and 2 big dogs, and the family room had an outside door.  Hardwood floors would be much easier to keep clean - IMO.  I liked the linoleum floor in the kitchen.  That will last for many years, and is easier on the feet and back than ceramic tile.  As usual, the final result was lovely, and very period and style appropriate.        

• Like 3

I wasn't a fan of the exterior paint jobs this season - I understand that the homeowners were the ones who didn't want the Victorian painted in what is normal Victorian style but I thought the original paint colors were better than Brett's options.  Some of the other exterior paint colors this season just seem muddy and unattractive.

• Like 2

New season! I don’t think I would have given up the large bathroom for a bedroom. I mean the kid isn’t going to stay two forever and three people sharing a small Jack and Jill bathroom is going to get old. Yes, they added a powder room but I still don’t think it was a good trade. Then again I don’t have kids so I wouldn’t need more than two bedrooms! 

I normally like or don’t mind the vintage fronts he puts on the fridges but I absolutely hated this one and thought it didn’t fit in well into the kitchen.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 2

Biakbiak, I thought the same thing about giving up a large bathroom for a bedroom downstairs.  They can always remodel and add on in a few years, or sell that house and make a killing on it with the updates that are there.  For $150,000 they could have added a master suite downstairs.  Of course, some of the other things would not have been done.  If they ever do sell, a 3 bedroom house would be more marketable than a 2 bedroom house I would think.  I'm not sure I would have spent almost $5,000 of a renovation budget on a ceiling light for the dining room.  Yes, it's lovely, but $5,000!?

As for the custom refrigerator front, I wasn't a fan of it either.  I have wondered about those in the past when I see them.  If  the refrigerator breaks (and they will), and has to be replaced, will that front fit on the next one?  It would, of course, have to have the same door configuration - side by side, French door, top or bottom refrigerator/freezer, etc.  Also, I have a newer refrigerator with the vacuum seal doors, and it requires a bit of a pull to open it sometimes.  I can imagine that adding that wood would make that thing a beast to open.  

Overall, a beautifully redone house, and staged to perfection as usual.  Would love to know the amount of extra $$ it takes to buy all of the staging materials.   

• Useful 1

I LOVED last night's episode.  I'm a big mid-century modern fan but sometimes all the hard materials (like concrete) make it seem like it wouldn't be a very comfortable place to live. 

But last night, everything about the aesthetic, views and material made it look like a house I'd want to live in.

The couple was great too, especially the wife.  I love how much she loved her house. 

• Like 7

On 3/11/2021 at 10:04 AM, Irlandesa said:

The couple was great too, especially the wife.  I

I liked that they were open to keeping things they didn’t really like (the slate fireplace, the ceilings, the Formica in the dining room) if it was original. 

• Like 5

Last night's episode was amazing. The whole house was absolutely incredible and when they showed the Turkish room I just stared at the TV with my mouth open. Brett did a great job preserving the original feel while making it more functional. There wasn't a single thing I disliked. The way he moved the rooms around made sense without any of them feeling out of place. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Sewlitaire said:

There wasn't a single thing I disliked.

I disliked the lack of issuable counter space in the kitchen end butlers pantry. With the two large sinks in both areas and a narrow one across from the stove it didn’t leave a lot of space to actually cook and bake. 

Just saw where the McNally Estate is on the market so I guess they were fixing it up to sell. It’s a gorgeous house, but I’m not sure I would enjoy living in it. Awfully big and ornate. 

• Useful 3

I loved the Turkish room.  What a unique thing.  I'd be sad if someone bought it and ruined it.

But I can't imagine putting in close to 400,00 dollars into renovations just to sell the house.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I felt bad when I read above that the house is being sold. I found it on Zillow and have attached a screenshot of the ad (didn’t know how to link). You can see quite a few more rooms than we saw on the show. The house is spectacular. I can see why it’s being sold, according to Zillow the property taxes alone are almost $3000 a month & the mortgage payment could be about $15,000 monthly. It looks like they tried to sell in 2018 but it didn’t happen. I’ve lived in SoCal my entire life & didn’t know Altadena was such a ritzy area. Such beautiful homes are currently for sale. Take a look but try not to be shocked at the prices. 🙀

8C12D846-1D3C-4BC5-9BCB-D1BCBF4D153A.jpeg

• Useful 1

Thank you for the pics! It's a beautiful house!

I can understand someone wanting to sell a house that's costing them so much money each month. But I wish DIY had been upfront about it. Most people would've gotten it if they had properly explained the reason why they want to sell. And if they're empty nesters, such a house is way too large. You need some staff to clean all those rooms and keep the garden pretty. But the way DIY handled it wasn't ok in my book.

I thought for just two people who only entertain occasionally the kitchen was large enough. But for a 3.6 million house, it's rather on the small side. I would've used half of the ugly den to make the kitchen bigger, use the other half as a laundry room and make the former kitchen a den. Or use the whole den and put the laundry where they did on the show. It's not like there's a scarcity of living rooms in the house. But I guess it was a money issue.

• Like 1

I loved that we got another Mid-Century last week.  I was not a fan of slate and I kind of laughed at their reactions to linoleum but it was fun.  I do wish they had kept the original color of the door, though.

I also liked tonight's English cottage.  They did go with linoleum.  I was also happy they made minimum changes to the wood framing the fireplace.  I get wanting it to be period appropriate but c'mon.  It'd be silly to tear out beautiful craftsmanship just because it was 80 years old instead of 90 years old while still putting in brand new appliances in the kitchen. 

• Like 3

One thing I really didn’t like was them going on and on about what could they have been possibly been thinking with the landscaping. Um they were thinking that California was in the middle of a horrific drought and is about to enter a new one and keeping grass green is not always doable and often something that people actively do not want to do even if it better matches the architecture of the house.

Restoring the windows did make a huge difference and hey because they had never moved in I was actively annoyed when he didn’t put the tv back! 

Again with his need to put in so many sinks at the expense of working counter space for actual making things be it even just cooking a large meal or any sort of pastry projects. The sink in the laundry made sense but all three of them (and they all appeared to be the exact same sink) together in such a small space was ridiculous to me. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 2

I did not love the restoration on the most recent episode, an arts and crafts type bungalow.  The house was only 1100 square feet, so that made the layout a challenge, but it was not helped by some of the choices, I think.  He added a wood half-wall with columns between the living and dining rooms, which seemed far too big and blocky for that small space.  It may have been better if he had done the wall/columns in the form of two smaller walls coming out on either side of the space, or just abandoned the idea altogether. 

I also thought that kitchen was too small for an awkward little table against the wall between the kitchen and dining, which was also entirely closed off from the dining and living rooms.  What is the point of that?  There is a bigger table in the dining room which would be more comfortable to eat in!  

Brett did a lovely job, as usual, but it just didn't work for me.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, izabella said:

it just didn't work for me.

I agree. If it were me I also would have just gone with a smaller stackable washer and dryer and a normal sized shower. He kept saying he only took out one closet but based on the plans he took out two and half, one in the hall and one and part of another in the bedroom. In a house that size having storage would be a priority for me. 

• Like 4

Biakbiak, I have wondered how much input the owners have on the projects, and if there are certain things the owners insist on having such as a full size washer and dryer side by side instead of stacked, or certain colors that are a definite no.

Tonight's episode about the Victorian was interesting.  I guess the budget did not include more renovation to include the laundry area, and incorporate it into the mudroom, but I think more storage and a better use of the mudroom space could have been done.  Perhaps making space for a toilet as well as a sink to make it a true half bath.  Interesting that the house had only 1 bathroom, and it was downstairs while the bedrooms were upstairs.  The father with the knee problems probably wished for a downstairs bedroom.  I noticed a couple of window A/C units which had disappeared in the reveal.  Wonder if they managed to incorporate a mini-split or two somewhere.   As usual, the finished project was a huge improvement.   

11 hours ago, laredhead said:

e and a better use of the mudroom space could have been done.

Seriously it looked more like a huge entry than a mud room! More built in storage there seems like a no brainer more than just another large ass sink so close to large kitchen sink! Based on the drawings I think there just wasn’t anyway to incorporate the laundry because it looked like it was probably an addition after the fire so that they couldn’t take down any of the walls but like you said maybe turn that into a true bathroom and use some of the closet mud room as the laundry room. 
He seems always able to work into his “historical” plans huge ass showers and built in fridges  so he misses me on a ton of other shit he avoids.

I absolutely loved the fireplace restoration! 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 3

On 4/14/2021 at 10:46 PM, laredhead said:

Biakbiak, I have wondered how much input the owners have on the projects, and if there are certain things the owners insist on having such as a full size washer and dryer side by side instead of stacked, or certain colors that are a definite no.

Tonight's episode about the Victorian was interesting.  I guess the budget did not include more renovation to include the laundry area, and incorporate it into the mudroom, but I think more storage and a better use of the mudroom space could have been done.  Perhaps making space for a toilet as well as a sink to make it a true half bath.  Interesting that the house had only 1 bathroom, and it was downstairs while the bedrooms were upstairs.  The father with the knee problems probably wished for a downstairs bedroom.  I noticed a couple of window A/C units which had disappeared in the reveal.  Wonder if they managed to incorporate a mini-split or two somewhere.   As usual, the finished project was a huge improvement.   

I wondered about that too. Do they have a bedroom downstairs? I can’t imagine elderly people and one of them has a walking issue, going up and down the stairs to use the bathroom. I would’ve used some of that renovation money to put a bath upstairs if that’s where the bedroom is and definitely to put air conditioning in. every time I see a house in California that doesn’t have central air it blows  my mind I know it’s an old house but it can be done especially when you’ve got almost $300,000 budget. Of course from some of the older people I know they probably don’t want the AC. I believe they said the daughters were living there now,they are going to absolutely hate sweltering in the hot California heat. 
I wasn’t  thrilled with the exterior colors and it’s a shame that because of the lawx in California they couldn’t keep the original roof on the turret. 
Big improvement on the interior it was very grandma looking before. The couch looks so much better all but for that money Reupholstering reupholstering cost, I would’ve told mom to put the couch in her  bedroom and bought a new one that’s  probably a lot more comfortable than that one. 

20 minutes ago, chediavolo said:

every time I see a house in California that doesn’t have central air it blows  my mind I know it’s an old house but it can be done especially when you’ve got almost $300,000 budget. Of course from some of the older people I know they probably don’t want the AC. I believe they said the daughters were living there now, they are going to absolutely hate sweltering in the hot California heat. 

When I lived in Orange County, California we didn't have central air. It honestly wasn't that bad with fans to move the air. At night the temperature dropped considerably and we never missed having AC. We did have central heat, which we seldom needed to use.

• Like 1

1924 Arts & Crafts bungalow.  What's the deal with her eyebrows?  The original kitchen lime green countertop edge clashed horribly with the cabinet colour (which I liked, but not with that countertop).